Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. The Dodgers are wrapping up this nine game road trip as they get set for first pitch against the Mets, and we're joined right now by one of my favorite Dodger relievers. In fact, I kind of identify I've gravitated towards the bullpen this year, There's no doubt about it. Jack Dryer is our guest. Jack, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate.
Speaker 2: It absolutely, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: What's these ten days been like for you and the rest of the relievers that started at Yankee Stadium and ending up now in City Field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, coming off of the All Star Break, you know, it's been a while since some of us have been home now, so I'm just excited to continue playing, playing good baseball and then wrap up the long road trip and get back to La Jack.
Speaker 1: Over the years, I've heard baseball teams say road trips like this on the East Coast really brings the team closer together. Has that happened with the Dodgers. I mean, you guys are a close knit group to begin with, but has this solidified all that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think Yeah, like you said, we're already very close as a team. But you know, this much time on the road gives you plenty of opportunity to go explore the city together, you know, try different foods, you know, whatever it is. So it's definitely fun to be able to spend some time away from the field with the guys.
Speaker 1: Jack. This season, it's been an interesting one because last year it never felt like you had major speed bumps in your rookie season. This year, how did you get through the speed bumps?
Speaker 2: You know, it's continuing to harp on the things that I talked about last year, which is, you know, focus on what you can control. You know, in the big leagues there's a lot of noise going on, whether or it's social media or things you see online, whatever it is, and so just focusing on what you can control and putting your head down and just stacking one day at a time, that's all you can do.
Speaker 1: When you would have tough outings, where would you go, how would you deal with it?
Speaker 2: When?
Speaker 1: When would you be able to get your mind clear?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, it's being able to lean on different people. So first and foremost my wife being able to go to her and you know, kind of talk about something other than baseball is very helpful. But then you know, the coaching staff, teammates, review sessions about the outing and then looking forward to the next out and coming up. Just all of those things are really important. And so that goes back to, you know, showing how close the team is because you can have those conversations with pretty much anybody that you want.
Speaker 1: To What was it besides the mental part of the game. Did you make a significant adjustment to your mechanics? Because I'm not a pitching coach, but I could just tell you, and I've told the listeners that you starting to look like Jack Dryer again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's kind of a boring answer, but I really think like the answer is in the details of the mental preparation. And so, you know, the lowest hanging fruit for improvement, I think is always going to be the mental game. Whether it's a mechanical shift or a pitch selection shift, or you know, anything it is, it all goes back to your mentality and your conviction, and so just continuing to get better at that and you know, ensuring that I'm convicted every time I go out on the mound because I have the best defense in the world behind me, great catchers calling games like there's there's nowhere I'd rather be plying.
Speaker 1: Jack Dryer is our guest in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Mets. All right, preparation. It feels like preparation helps a pitcher on the mound, not panic, because if you're prepared, you know where to go. Have you found that more this year?
Speaker 2: Yes? Absolutely. I think preparation just gives you the opportunity for you know, when when something arises, you know how to handle it because in your preparation, you've handled it before. And so it just allows you to not experience something for the first time. It makes you feel like you've done it before, whether it's good or bad, or even if it is new. And so I think I think that's the most beneficial part of the preparation is is you know you're you're essentially training yourself to experience something that you're going to experience in the future.
Speaker 1: Jack Dryer is our guest, and before I let you go. The first day here at City Field, we talked to Will Klein, who talked to Clayton Kershaw at the White House and Kershaw asked him, why are you throwing sidearm now, which means that his arm slot was lower. Did pitching coach Kershaw give you any sort of observational advice?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I was very happy to see him, and you know, gave each other a hug, and he just said, hey, man, you're throwing kind of hard now, and so I took that as a compliment. But again it's just, you know, I think he is the you know, kind of the blueprint for how you should handle your preparation and he did it better than anybody for eighteen years. So, you know, just continuing to handle your preparation and good things will happen in the game.
Speaker 1: So does that mean you're throwing harder than you were last year or does it mean you're throwing harder than you were earlier this season?
Speaker 2: Both. I've thrown harder than I've ever thrown in my entire life this year. So just continuing to trend in the right.
Speaker 1: All right, Jack, I know you guys like to keep it close to the vest. We'll leave it right there. Thanks a lot for the time. Always great to catch up with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me