Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begne.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 3: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Here we go again.
Speaker 3: We're here running back, hosted by dodgersin signer David Bassi.
Speaker 1: A Yeah three pat in the mix to get.
Speaker 3: In on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: It's great to be back at Dodgers Stadium. I'm another postgame Dodger Talk for you. After the Exhibition Freeway series shifts here to Los Angeles and the Dodgers and Angels finish in a seven seventh time. Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until eleven o'clock right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports and the iHeartRadio app. Jose Mota will join us in twenty minutes. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy Coming up in fifteen minutes, you'll get an update on Tommy Edmond and Blake Snell. But obviously the story of the night is Roki Sasaki and his struggles continuing tonight from Arizona. As far as his spring training went, it wasn't it wasn't pretty for Roki Sasaki, and he said as much tonight that it just wasn't good and it wasn't really good. Did not really pass the eye test to say, Roki Sasaki definitely earned a spot in this rotation.
Speaker 1: I feel part of this is.
Speaker 2: A bigger plan as always by Andrew Friedman, to navigate one hundred and sixty two games this season. Part of this is that Blake's now is going to start the year on the injured list. Part of this is that River Ryan is coming off Tommy John surgery, has not pitched in a game in nearly eighteen months.
Speaker 1: Is somewhat raw.
Speaker 2: And new to pitching because when the Dodgers acquired him a few years ago for Matt Batty, he was still trying to do the two way thing. He was a shortstop and a pitcher until he got traded to the Dodgers and that's when they said, hey, your future is in pitching, and that's where he really has just become somewhat of a sensation overnight sensation when it comes to that, but still needs to learn how to pitch and pitching games. And he had an impressive spring training, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: But I kind of.
Speaker 2: Believe that the River Ryan plan is similar to the Image Shean plan from a year ago. So all those things are working into Roki Sasaki still being part of this rotation despite having not a convincing spring training, and really I'm not going to say that Roki Sasaki can't be a starting pitcher. And the dynamics of all this goes back to the Dodgers signing Roki Sasaki and Andrew Friedman saying at that point in time that it is a developmental process. They're not expecting Roki Sasaki to be an overnight sensation. They knew they had something raw on their hands and it wasn't going to be something that looked like Yamamoto day one. So there's that, there's the learning curve, right, and then there is a guy that looks appears during spring training and especially tonight, putting way too much pressure on himself to be a starting pitcher. This is not the same guy that we saw last year. When he came out in a new role, throwing one hundred plus out of the bullpen, commanding his fastball and then working in that split, fork ball, knuckleball, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 1: Not the same guy.
Speaker 2: And going back to Dodger Fest, he kept on talking about how he's trying to develop a third and fourth pitch. Well, it doesn't seem like he has a lot of confidence in those pitches right now, and it's really hard to develop those pitches against major league hitters on the mound wearing that Dodger uniform where the lights are brighter than anywhere else. And the Dodgers promised Roki Sasaki that was part of the agreement when they signed him, that they would give him every opportunity to be a starting pitcher. Even last year when they had the conversation with him that we need you to come out of the bullpen, we need a closer, we need that guy.
Speaker 1: We hope you are that guy he was.
Speaker 2: They said, will allow you an opportunity to earn your way back into a starting role this year, and they have been true to their word. Now it's in Roki Sasaki's hands. He's got to seize the moment. Similar to Alex Frieland. He's getting the opportunity starting opening Day to be in the lineup nearly every day until Tommy Edmond returns. Roki Sasaki is getting an opportunity to be a starting pitcher again this season. It's in his hands now. And look, I personally believe if this doesn't work and this being him being a starter this year, I firmly believe he can be a valuable piece to the Dodgers in the bullpen. From what we saw last year, we saw a guy that had the kind of the aggressiveness and the compete that Dave Roberts was looking for before the game. And in this spring training he's got ninety eight plus. He's got that split fingered, forkball ish pitch that hitters were chasing, especially when he had command of his fastball. And the Dodgers kind of need a right handed, high leverage reliever right now. Nobody has stood up and raised their hands and said I could be that guy. Of course I know about Edwin Diaz, But who's getting Jose Ramirez out next week in the sixth or seventh inning. I hope it's Blake Trinin. You know, Alex Vesia can't get every hitter out from the sixth inning to the eighth inning. That's not realistic. So they need somebody. But that's going to be down the road as far as it concerns a decision with Roki Sasaki, because he is in the starting rotation, and I believe that he's going to be in the rotation until we get closer to the end of May, and that's when Blake Snell is expected to return. Dave Roberts said that before the game, So I feel like this is the window of opportunity for Roki Sasaki to stick for the time being in the major leagues, and his performance will dictate whether or not he sticks in the rotation for the summertime, or does he need to go to the minor leagues to develop that third and fourth pitch, or do the Dodgers need him in the bullpen to be that right handed, high leverage reliever. All those questions are going to be answered. But I'm not gonna sit here tonight and jump all over Roki Sasaki and say he stinks he doesn't have a chance. This is not going to work. Let's see we can have that discussion next to next Monday, when he starts against the Guardians, we can have that discussion. We're not gonna have that discussion tonight. I'm just laying out what the options are and how he could be a valuable piece even if he's not a starting pitcher for the Dodgers this year. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number the Dodgers did lay out they're opening rotation to begin the season. Obviously, we know Yamamoto on Thursday against the Diamondbacks. Emasian will pitch Game two, and Tyler glass Now will pitch Game three against the Diamondbacks. Roki Sasaki will pitch the opener against the Guardians. Show Hey Otani will pitch Tuesday against the Guardians. So you want to get your tickets now if you have not. There are so many games on this homestand that are so appealing if you had to pick one, could be Opening Day, could be the ring ceremony night, could be the night that show. Heo Tani starts next Tuesday against the Guardian. Saying, going back to twenty twenty four, I kind of said this, Dodger games are no longer just games. They are events, And Charlie Steiner had said that from the beginning of twenty twenty four as well, and I echo all of that. That made so much sense, and I think we're living that now. Dodger games are not Dodger games, they are events. They're high demand too. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Aggie in Oxnard. You're on Dodger Talk live from Dodger Stadium High AUGI, Hey.
Speaker 4: Dave, this is Augi from Oxnart. I met you at spring training this year.
Speaker 1: How could I forget?
Speaker 2: So we've established it's OGGI from Oxnar three times.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, all right, here we go, Hey Oxnart now Ventura Oxnar.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, what do you got on? Yeah, I want to talk about I don't know.
Speaker 2: I noticed right away.
Speaker 4: I have a rookie.
Speaker 2: When he's pitching, he's almost at first he's almost between the pitcher's mound and first base.
Speaker 1: On his release. You think he's falling off. He's falling off.
Speaker 2: He's not directional, christ not going straight towards home plate. And I don't know if all those guys are having the dugout aren't picking that up.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they are, but at some point Aggie.
Speaker 2: I remember Tom Glavin saying this at some point as a pitcher, you've got to be your best pitching coach.
Speaker 1: And Roki Sasaki seems.
Speaker 2: To be very mechanical, overthinking things, and I'm sure he's aware of that too. And that goes back to my point where he's putting too much pressure on himself and not just going out there and competing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks like he's afraid, you know, he's not having fun.
Speaker 2: He's like, I wouldn't say he's afraid. I just think he's putting too much pressure on himself. And yeah, he's not having fun and going out there and just being a guy and letting it rip. This is there's no way any pitcher is scared in an exhibition game, Augie. After Rokie pitching in the playoffs, I wouldn't use the word scared.
Speaker 4: Right, Maybe timid? So timid?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I think he's putting too much pressure on himself. Thanks for the phone call, Augie, appreciate it. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's hear from Dave Roberts again, because he was asked in his entire press conference about Roki Sasaki and just what the future holds for him after not very convincing spring training.
Speaker 5: You know, once a season starts, then you got it. It's about production. But I don't think that you can completely just bank on or evaluate spring training or an exhibition game. But yeah, it hasn't been great, It really hasn't. And we know that the standard needs to be better. He knows that. We know that, and then now it's kind of go time and see what you know, how he can perform, you know, when the lights come on?
Speaker 1: All right, that was Dave Roberts.
Speaker 2: I mean that's pretty straightforward right there, and we're all gonna find out together with Roki Sasaki on the mound and probably guys like Justin Robleski are gonna be on high alert on those type of nights, and it just it puts your bullpen in a tough spot, even if if you have to use a Robleski or somebody else. When a pitcher goes out and can only pitch three or four innings like we saw Sasaki at the beginning of last year, it's not just about that night. It's about how Dave Roberts has to manage the night before because he's a little concerned about whether or not he could trust that Roki's gonna go deep into the game. And you know, like we saw last year, you go to your bullpen early to cover what seven eight innings, it takes a toll by the end of the season and in the very immediate future, takes a.
Speaker 1: Toll not only on that one game.
Speaker 2: But also the ubsequent two or three games to get your bullpen back in order. So, uh, those are things that are not just about Roki Sasaki. It's about the team, and that's something that everybody's going to be evaluating start to start. Eight six six, seven two five seventy is the phone number. Freddie Freeman tonight was hitting fifth in the Dodger lineup against the lefty Reed dept Meers, And that's something that Freddy told me before the game. You're going to see, at least to begin the season, Freddie Freeman will be hitting cleanup against right handed starters and we'll be hitting fifth against left handed starters. And you know, basically, Dave Roberts had to have that conversation with a guy that has accomplished as much as Freddie Freeman has, and Freddy is all about the team. And he looks around and he understands the talent. Top to bottom. There's a lot of talent. And he told me point blank, nearly every guy in this lineup could be an umber three hitters. So he can handle hitting fifth to begin the season against lefties. We'll see how it plays out between now and the end of the year. I mean, this is just to start the season. We'll see how it plays out the rest of the year. But I mean I want Freddy Freeman up there in RBI situations. Everybody's always talking about, Hey, put these guys in RBI situations, have them hit down in the order. Well, hitting fourth and fifth is going to give a guy that smells RBIs great opportunities to drive in a lot of runs hitting behind Otani Tucker Betts when he's hitting cleanup, and when Will Smith is hitting clean up, he'll have another guy that obviously is one of the best hitters in baseball in front of him. So that's the reason why Freddie Freeman was hitting fifth tonight.
Speaker 1: I mentioned the Blake.
Speaker 2: Steal update that Dave Roberts said he expects him back by the end of May. I had a Tommy Edmonds siding today at Dodgers Stadium. He was taking batting practice earlier today, and he's coming back from off season right ankle surgery. Dave Roberts also said he expects Tommy Edmond to return at the end of May. So, like I said earlier, it's similar situations with Roki Sasaki and Alex Friedland. They have opportunities because of injuries. They're going to get, as they like to say, a runway here to show what they can do. Now, they just got to relax and go out there and be themselves and the rest will take care of itself. But right now we're seeing a Roki Sasaki that's putting way too much pressure on himself. Also, I want to give a shout out to Chris Compos, the young twenty five year old right hander for the Dodgers that pitched the final two innings of tonight's game. He's a local kid and certainly wanted to give him his kudos. And Chris Compos may be a guy that you may see during the regular season if the Dodgers had some innings from the bullpen. He started games at Double A Tulsa last year, but certainly could be a right handed reliever here in the big leagues this season for the Dodgers. So Chris compos congratulations. A kid that was born in Montebello, went to Saint Mary's College, was drafted by the Dodgers in the twenty two draft, seventh round. I'm sure his family was excited that he was pitching tonight. So I can't wait to talk to Chris tomorrow. And also a kid that came up that did not have a name on the back of his jersey, but I have heard about him going back to last year. He's in the lower levels of the Dodgers' minor league system, at least he was last year.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he's moving up this year.
Speaker 2: But and Meo Morales, who had a nice solid hit tonight in the eighth inning. He's a name to remember because he is another one of those young Dodgers. He's a shortstop. He's done pretty well. He was zero for to tonight, but he hit the ball Hall. He's only nineteen years old. But in Miil Morales, I've heard a lot from people within the organization that believe he's got that It factor so pretty cool that it says a lot that he's even here at Dodgers Stadium. That's what the Dodgers think of him. And also another one of these young Dodgers without a name on their back, Eduardo Cantero. He's only twenty years old. Many people around the league believe that he may be the top outfield prospect the Dodgers have in their minor league systems. So you got to see two very young kids that are just getting their first taste of playing at Dodger Stadium. When we continue live from Dodgers Stadium, we'll check in with Jose Moto. We'll get his thoughts on what he was seeing from Roki Sasaki tonight and how long the Dodgers are going to give Sasaki to prove that, hey, it was just spring training. Dodgers and Angels finishing a tie tonight seven to seven on a five to seventy lasts.
Speaker 3: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy, LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bassen.
Speaker 1: One old pitch, this one driven high and dape to lap.
Speaker 6: It is headed back to the pavilion and car home on Tayoscar Hernandez with his fifth home run of the spring and the Dodgers get on the board.
Speaker 1: It is six to one.
Speaker 2: Tay Oscar Hernandez, continuing his hot spring, hits his fifth home run of the exhibition season, and it's all Zero's beginning on Thursday, as the Dodgers will open up the season right here at Dodgers Stadium against the Arizona Diamondbacks. Yoshi Yamamoto the opening day starter against Zach Gallon. It should be a exciting and certainly a lot to be excited about for this Dodger season as they try to do something that the last team to do it was twenty six years ago, and that's the New York Yankees to three peat in Major League Baseball. That's not something that happens often, and many of you were not even alive when that took place. So it's gonna be a great season and it starts on Thursday. All right, let's head out and check in with Jose Moda.
Speaker 3: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 1: All right, Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: Tonight's story Roki Sasaki and him being in the Dodgers starting rotation. What are you seeing and what have you seen from Roki this spring.
Speaker 4: I think I've seen what everybody has seen, but me particularly is an inconsistent release point. As number one. Watching a Bollprien very closely in spring training, I know there's a couple of deliveries in variances. I would you say a delivery, but a little concerning to me from what I watch in terms of repeating the arm ash and the arm angle that just are not there. And Dave, I think the confidence, it's a big level here. It plays at a big point here because you can see that he's not throwing the ball with conviction for a guy that has as good as fast as the ath. I'm not going to say stuff because I think it's stuff. It needs to get better to be a competitor at the big leagues at the starter, but he needs to throw the ball to conviction and think about all the things that I mean from the get go he hits about it three or no that that is not even coming close to his own I mean, you know, the zones not moving, the consistency of your release is not there. One thing that I think, and I learned this back in your pan. I was actually some of this former coaches in Japan about the thing that they have seen and one thing, Davis, he needs less information. I'm telling you that sometimes like throwing a bullpen with not knowing what spin rates are, what you're afexation on any of that stuff. It doesn't matter. Just go out there and just gave me some good life fastball because he has enough on his fastball and the four seamer his sinker to get guys out if he's down in the zone. But we're not seeing it right now, and it's concerning, There's no doubt it is concerning.
Speaker 2: Well, how does it go from the guy that we saw last year pitching in the biggest of games in his young career coming out of the bullpen to a guy that doesn't have confidence in spring training.
Speaker 4: It's hard to put a finger on it, but it does happen. I think that overall, making the transition now normally you have to navigate a lineup, it's a different mentality in the mindset. Perhaps some overthinking is happening with him. There's a lot of guys that could pitch well with his stuff, and I believe he can do it. But I think there's a time in which he has to just go out and see the glove and hit the glove and do you forget about everything else? Everything else will come. The simplicity of the information for him, I think is crucial that the Dodgers have a balance of guys that can go very deep into information gave to you and also just pull back, like Conor McGinnis says sometimes is hey, put your finger here on this grip and let it rip and see what happens. I mean, they have every type of resource and recourse available for him to simplify things. But David, I think on the mental side is mainly where the issues are because stuff wise, I mean, he's right there as a big league just these consistency and conviction and obviously results to get confidence.
Speaker 1: So fast forward to next week.
Speaker 2: Does it all all of a sudden snap into a guy that can go five innings and has confidence? How what takes place between now and then to get him on track to not compromise the bullpen early in the season.
Speaker 4: Put everything behind this happened now and know that you have a lot to work for. But give me strike one, Give me strike one. Work with your cashiers. If there's a target that you want, you can call that shot. Okay, I believe and understand too that his success and hand was not based only on the fastball. Obviously he had to splitter, but he can go out there and work both sides of the plate and sometimes we know very well at this level to navigate through a lineup one, two or three times, you have to be able to get ahead with something else besides the fastball, because at ninety nine or one or nine they're going to get you somehow, and that's the point where you need to get and say, hey, I need to go ahead and find the O and one, not just to the fastball, and have convictions that he cannot be worried about pitching inside because he does right now, he doesn't have that type of command. So they've simplified strike one. Work with that. Don't be afear of contact, trust it. If the ball leaves your hands, going to find a good spot and find some weak contact. But overall, hopefully and the duties are hoping too. When the bell rings, he knows what happens. He does not want to faith what he faith last year starting his career in the big leagues to you know, not be able to get guys out and have that look at his face like, oh my god, what's happened to me, but be able to say, Okay, everything's in the past. I learn it up. I need to be a better certain things. Simplify your game, toast strikes and go out and spin the ball when you need to.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, looking forward to see how this goes for Roki Sasaki and Tomorrow night it's Otani Day. I mentioned this earlier in the show. I don't care if it's a spring training I don't care if it's at a parking reck. If show he Otani's pitching and he's hitting and he's playing, I want to be there. So Tomorrow night, even though it's the last game of spring training in the Freeway Series, it's still an event when Otani is on the mound.
Speaker 4: What better place dog your stadium, last exhibition game heading into the big opener, going for the three bid. They have Showy out there and knowing what he is chasing, which is to be again a premier pitcher at the big league level along with the premier hitter. Why not?
Speaker 1: All right? I love it. That's a good appetizer for Thursday. Thanks Jse. We'll see you back out here tomorrow night. S see you later.
Speaker 2: Daniels Julius presents the home run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com, use the keyword home run, enter your name and you could win Daniel's Jewelers Own the Dream Now. Tomorrow night, like I mentioned, Otani is on the mound for the Dodgers, but it's a little bit earlier of a start four o'clock. Our coverage begins with Dodgers on deck first pitch with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett at five to ten. So this is somewhat good for the Dodgers because Opening day is going to be first pitch at five thirty, So this is a good final practice run to just for the hitters to see what it's going to look like on Thursday at five thirty with the shadows in play. And obviously the days are a little bit longer, so the shadows may roll in a little bit later, but certainly a good final dress rehearsal to have the last game start close to the time that Opening Day will start at and we will have the game right here on five to seventy LA Sports tomorrow night and on Opening Day it's going to be nationally televised on Peacock. My guy Kershaw is gonna be in the house. He's gonna see what he could do as a broadcaster for Peacock. So looking forward to that. I don't know where he's going to be. Is he going to be on the field at a desk. Is he going to be in Connecticut somewhere? Is he just going to do one of those things where he's in his home office.
Speaker 1: I doubt that.
Speaker 2: But no, Kershaw, I'm sure will be out here, and he'll be out here on Tuesday or excuse me, on Friday getting his ring. I mean, he was a big part of last season and it'll be great for him to be celebrated again at Dodgers Stadium on Tuesday with the ring ceremony. Look forward to see him, seeing him out here. Maybe he'll be wearing a suit. Maybe I don't know. He can't cut the sleeves off his suit. So looking forward to see Kershaw back at Dodger Stadium. That'll do it for us tonight. Thanks to calling you back at our Bank Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodger Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show or any of our interviews during spring training, you can find it all on the iHeartRadio app. Just search Dodger Talk. Subscribe, make it a preset favorite, and you won't miss anything Dodger related. Once again, the final score tonight from Dodgers Stadium. It was a tie, a seven to seven tie between the Dodgers and Angels. We'll do it again tomorrow night. Thanks a lot for listening. Fox Sports Radio is next. Ben Mallor I'm sure is already talking about something he has no idea about. So Ben Maller is next on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: See him start it