Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Basse for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful weekend here in our nation's capital and certainly all smiles around the Dodgers after scoring thirteen runs yesterday. And I'm joined right now by ten year major league veteran pitcher, two time All Star and now three times no, no, two times two time All Star and now a big part of the Dodgers front office. And that's the one and only Chris Archer. Weenels dis Chris, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Vesse, appreciate you having me on. Man.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is a new role for you that you certainly have embraced. How rewarding hasn't been for you now that you've been in the organization for a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super rewarding in many ways. I get to help young players in player development, and whenever I'm up here with the big league team, I get to learn from the best staff in baseball. So it's really the best of both worlds. I get to learn it's on, but also get to help it's on as well.
Speaker 2: You're a perfect guy to talk to today because Tyler Glass now is on the mound. You guys were together in Tampa for a short period of time. Where have you seen the growth in Tyler since you become part of the Dodgers' front office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good question. I mean, Tyler's always been super talented, even back when he was with Pittsburgh and had some struggles, He's always been super talented. I think the confidence that he has he really trusts himself. I think the success that he's had here parlayed with what he did in the World Series. He can really trust his body, he can really get out of his head when it comes to all the delivery stuff, because he's a very cerebral guy. But it seems like spring training, in his first start this year, he's really out there just executing pitches and he's not thinking too much. And this is a really, really good version of glass now right now.
Speaker 2: Do you believe there was one moment in time or do you believe, like you said, coming out of the bullpen and succeeding gave him a new mindset coming into spring training.
Speaker 1: I think all players go through a long transition to really trust who they are. And it seemed like the World Series last year, specifically, not just the playoffs, but the World Series, Like you said, the different roles he had to serve and thrown on short rest and back to back like he never has before. I think it was that last like five percent that he needed to show himself that he is one of the best in the league. Now he can just go out there and trust that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like he's a different guy this year. Like you said, there just seems to be a lot more clarity when you talk to him and when you look look at him in the eyes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. I think another thing is he changes body composition a little bit. He added some weight, and he's like he has a very unique body obviously, like long limbs, very very lean. He added a little extra fat, a little extra muscle, and I think that gives him extra confidence to go up there and be healthy and kind of let his body just do his thing rather than having all that past history be a part of his game.
Speaker 2: Chris Archer is our guest, and in spring training you would always do, you know, pass bys and check in on guys like glass Now and Snelling others. When you do that, what's the purpose? What are you trying to find out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's another really good question. Since I have a lot of crossover with player development, I'm trying to pick their brain on not their processes now, but their process is when they were developing in the minors and early in the major leagues, so that maybe we can start to implement things that they learned early in their career and help shorten our player development guys career as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Interesting, And when you talk about player development, that's not just at the minor league level. There's some young pitchers on this staff that are still developing.
Speaker 1: Definitely. I think one of the separators for the Dodgers is that we continue player development even at the major league level, whether you're a rookie or whether you're someone who is as much time as Miguel Rojas or Blake trying. And since we're talking about pictures, yeah, we're always looking to get better. We're always trying to find that edge. You're trying to be ahead of the curve, and sometimes going back in history and finding out how good athletes trained and developed is one of the best tools you can use to continue to stay ahead.
Speaker 2: How involved are you and trying to help Roki Sasaki get back on track.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say I'm very much involved at all. I mean, Mark and Connor are unbelievable. Roki has a couple guys that are on his team as well personally, so I kind of stay out of that because he has a lot of really good people around him already.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like there needs to be a little bit more patience by the fans with Roki?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean, And one thing that I like to highlight is just because we're speaking about Glass and Snell, when they were twenty three, twenty four to twenty five years old in the big leagues, their numbers weren't what their numbers are now. They weren't the pictures they are now almost ten or so years ago. So yeah, I mean patients with someone, especially in Rokie's unique case. I mean, it's a different ball, it's a different lifestyle, it's a different amount of travel, it's a different level competition, it's a big jump. So of course, like the organization's patient, and I think, yeah, fans can if they can find the little wins, I think they would enjoy watching the game a little bit better.
Speaker 2: In this regard the way you evaluate and the way you think next level, were you able to diagnose yourself as well as you're able to diagnose other pictures now in this role.
Speaker 1: That it's a long pause because I'm thinking about it. I tried to keep the game as simple as possible. I think much higher level now, so I guess the answer is no. Look, I was a two pitch pitcher. I trusted my athleticism. I didn't get too heady about delivery and stuff. So a big part of this what I'm doing now is learning that, Okay, how do you work with someone who does think differently than I thought as an athlete? If that makes sense. So I'm kind of adding tools to my tool bag. And that's what I'm saying. It's really nice to be around Mark and Connor because they're really good and they have so much experience with different movers, different thinkers, different ability levels. So I'm a lot of what I'm doing here is listening and learning from these guys. Sure I help some of the guys that I've seen come through, like Casparius and Robo and Dryer. I am someone that they can lean on, someone that they've seen over the years and the miners. But I'm learning a ton from our staff here.
Speaker 2: That's amazing because the teachers have to teach the teachers down in the minor leagues as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's like who's the mentor's mentor kind of mentality, and I think we have a tribe of people here who really up the floor when it comes to coaching and help fill in some deficiencies across the board. And again that's why I think we're one of the best sports organizations in.
Speaker 2: The world, no doubt. Back to back champs looking for that three pete. Hey, it was a great surprise to see you out here at Nationals Park. You look good in that Dodger blue and certainly a huge advantage for the Dodgers to have people like you and the organization. So thank you for the time. From Brad Paisley's house in Nashville to National's Park.
Speaker 1: You, sir, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Man