Speaker 1: I've got a dilemma, and this is really interesting. It's came in via email. Hey, warning show crew, list is this one? I have a dilemma. My husband and I got married during COVID, so we didn't have a real wedding. We promised each other that when COVID cleared up, we'll have a big, elaborate wedding. My mom bought a dress for it, thinking, like a lot of us did, that COVID wouldn't last very long. But now it's five years later, they've got all this money saved up for this thirty thousand dollars wedding. She says, I don't know if we want to spend thirty thousand on a wedding. I know our whole family wants to celebrate our love since they didn't get to in twenty twenty. We can afford it. We got the money saved up. But now the newness of being married is kind of over. And that sounds awful, but I get it. I get it completely. We've been married five years. The honeymoon phase of being married is gone and passed. We got one kid already, another one on the way, So now I'm just in this dilemma do we have the big wedding or not? What do you think, jen.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I mean to have that amount of money saved up and not be like hyped about having a big wedding makes me feel like you should think about something else you could do with that money that like maybe celebrates you now as a family, because now you do have a kid and you have another one in the way. You said, so maybe use it to go on the most extravagant family vacation. But yeah, when you have young kids, I know that like traveling isn't really like top.
Speaker 1: Of mind for you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so it's like, I don't know, Well, what do you.
Speaker 1: Think as you're listening to the show, what do you think that you would do? Would you like you promised each other? Oh my god. So they'd probably you know, plann their wedding for a couple of years. Who knows. Maybe it was June first of twenty twenty. They're in the height of COVID. Well COVID comes in. You go, We're not get married with a big wedding because we really can't. Nobody wants to come. So they get married like you know, with a friend or the courthouse or whatever, with the promise that when COVID clears up, they will have the big thirty thousand dollars wedding. Here's COVID cleared up, everybody can be safe, and they're not sure they want to spend the money on it.
Speaker 4: I'm with you, Jenny.
Speaker 1: I would rather go on like a big memorable cruise, have grandma watch the kids so they get another one on the way. That's a problem. Yeah, it depends on how on the way it is. You know, is it doing like six days or six months.
Speaker 2: It doesn't sound like they've planned anything yet, so clearly, like if you are planning a wedding, you're planning that like a year out anyways. So realistically a trip in a year or a wedding in a year both very high possibilities. But you're definitely not going to go on a cruise with a newborn.
Speaker 4: No, No, you'd be surprised.
Speaker 5: Some people do it, and I don't think that they should, but you know, you live your life. I guess I think you should have the wedding man. And anything that happened in COVID didn't really happen in my mind, because COVID was such a just a weird a weird time, and I mean, I'm glad you're content, but you deserve the wedding.
Speaker 3: She sounds like she's not super hyped about it.
Speaker 4: Though, but I deserve it.
Speaker 3: I've never been married, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: What it's like to have those like first few years in marriage.
Speaker 3: Where you're like so excited I'm married whatever. Well most people are, who knows. But so I don't know what that's like.
Speaker 2: But I could imagine that, like five years down the road, I would be like, yeah, I don't think I really need a wedding anymore.
Speaker 4: I would kind of agree with that.
Speaker 1: I think if you're not excited about it to the point where you're writing to katie' but you be in saying should I have this, You're gonna find something more fun that you want to do with that thirty thousand dollars point. I mean, maybe it's like you know, I mean, something as simple as a bathroom remodel or new kitchen, well, I don't know how much that costs, but spend it on something fun. Spend it on something that I mean that was meant to be fun money. And I'm going to tell you one more thing. You're saying that all your friends and relatives wanted to celebrate your love with you and come to your wedding. They've forgotten about it. I mean they've not forgotten about it, but they're not sitting there going God Whin or Grace and John, whatever your names are, gonna have that wedding. We really want to set aside a weekend and buy a crock pot. They're not. They don't care. They love you, but they don't care. It's five years.
Speaker 5: Too young to renew your vows. Maybe do that and they make it a trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of people are saying, throw a big party and then use.
Speaker 4: These text messages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, via text messages.
Speaker 2: They should throw a big party to celebrate, but then use the rest of the money for yourselves. Or it's like a house or renovation or a vacation or something like that.
Speaker 3: Bring your most loved ones on a trip and hire a.
Speaker 2: Nanny for your kids, whether you can kind of like enjoy it, enjoy time with your loved ones, have the kids there, but also probably be able to have some free time on your own.
Speaker 1: There's a text that says the only person that cares is your mother because the mom bought the new dress. Probably move on, no wedding. Another text kind of sums up what I think. Weddings are fun, but vacations are more fun, and vacations last a week and a wedding is done in six hours. Nothing wrong with a wedding. Thirty thousand dollars spread out over a week is going to be a lot more fun than thirty thousand dollars spread out. I don't even know. Tell me the truth. If you are a bride or a groom, did you have fun at your wedding? Did you mean, be honest with me, did you have fun at your wedding? Or was it And I'm not trying to plan a seed, but was it more stressful and hectic and just a big rush of blur through the day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a it's a real question because a lot of people say when you plan a wedding, it's more so for the people going to the wedding, because you know, you're trying to make sure the music for them is good, the food for them is good. Yeah, obviously to celebrate you. Let's talk to Dan. He went through the same situation. Dan's on the phone. Yeah, you can call it too, six five, one, nine, eight nine KDWB.
Speaker 4: Hi Dan, Hey guys going good if you missed it.
Speaker 1: There's a woman who wrote in she got married during COVID. They had planned a big thirty thousand dollars wedding. They didn't spend it because of COVID. Now they promised themselves five years later when COVID was done, and now it's completely safe to be out. But now she's like, I got the money, I don't know if I want to have a wedding or spend it on something else.
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so me and my wife we got we got fifteen thousand dollars and we could have had.
Speaker 4: A wedding or done whatever with it. We had a wedding. It was great and awesome.
Speaker 1: But the first and we always talk about we should have just taken a fifteen grand and taken a two to three week honeymoon, go to Ireland, go to the Bahamas, something so trip came to mind right.
Speaker 2: Off the bat.
Speaker 1: No problem, yeah, okay, and and no regrets, no regrets.
Speaker 3: Dan, I think he is.
Speaker 6: Our wedding was great.
Speaker 4: But see what I see.
Speaker 1: You spent the money on the wedding. I misunderstood that. So you spent the money on the wedding when you should have said let's go to Ireland instead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because now we have kids and we don't have money. So Dan, thanks for your advice. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Who else we got on the phone and Marie, what do you think would did this woman get married or should she just spend it on a trip or something?
Speaker 7: I think, yeah, I think she should do what her inclients, but which seems like going on a trip. We actually were scheduled to get married in twenty twenty and had to postpone everything. We still wanted to get married, so we just showed up to a park with just like our parents and siblings and got married and it was an amazing day and it went perfect and it was.
Speaker 6: So much fun.
Speaker 7: And then we weren't able to get out of our contract and we weren't going to get any of our money back, so we ended up still having our big wedding, and it was fun and I don't regret it, but it did make me realize I wish we would have done the first thing and maybe had a smaller party with more of our friends, but not necessarily the big, giant wedding we.
Speaker 4: Ended up having. How many people were at your big giant wedding.
Speaker 7: There was a two hundred invited, and I think with COVID and rescheduling and everything, we had about one hundred and fifty show up.
Speaker 4: Still, that's a big wedding.
Speaker 1: Thank you. By the way, one more call. We're gonna move on. We're gonna give away boo bash. Take us to get to Jenny's been on Reddit.
Speaker 5: And so I'm bring to carpet a keyword in the second and yes, Cole Morning Morning.
Speaker 6: So we got married during COVID and then later on in twenty twenty we had a big like redo ceremony and then a big reception and it was a blast. It was so much fun. I was already married. I had like a different dress, I looked cute. All our friends and family were there. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: But my question for you is you got married like pretty shortly, had the big wedding after you had just gotten married. It's five years later. Would you want to still do that five years later? Had you not done that back.
Speaker 6: In twenty twenty, I probably wouldn't though, Yeah, I would do something else. Yeah, celebrate your family.
Speaker 3: Are you still with that person you married?
Speaker 4: Jenny?
Speaker 6: J J Okay, good, and I would probably do another reception wedding type thing because it was really actually fun. Yeah, but it does cost a lot of money, so to do something that fits your life now, I.
Speaker 4: Think, yeah, yeah, I think you know.
Speaker 1: The question is she's got all this money for a wedding that they postponed because of COVID. Should she use the money for the ceremony or should she spend it on something else because she's not that excited about a wedding now. Message this one's harsh. Forget the wedding, nobody cares anymore. Have a little party and then take a trip or do something as a family. Another one, do a family trip instead. Weddings are overrated. I got married way before COVID. I did a JP wedding. What's that JP wedding and a kick ass honeymoon. I'm not sure what that means. All right, thanks for all that