Speaker 1: For the back to back World Champions of Baseball.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest runs in the history of baseball.
Speaker 1: Immortality is within their reach. Incredible and while others make excuses.
Speaker 3: The only reason the Dodgers are doing this because they can they print money.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers just can't continue.
Speaker 4: It's not fair.
Speaker 1: Are making plans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a singular focus on controlling what they can control.
Speaker 1: Now your pregame host of the World Champion LA Dodgers, tam Cats.
Speaker 6: Hi, everybody, and welcome to Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on this Wednesday night, April fifteenth, twenty twenty six, Jackie Robinson Day around Major League Baseball is Today is the seventy ninth anniversary of the former Dodger great breaking the color barrier in the sport. Your World Series Champion Dodgers thirteen and four on this season.
Speaker 4: After taking two or three from the Texas Rangers.
Speaker 6: Over the weekend, the winning can ting you with the first two games over the Mets, and tonight they go for the sweep of New York with show Hey Otani on the mound. First pitch from uniclove Field that Dodger Stadium is coming up at seven to ten Between then and out. They got a lot to get to here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, including hearing from the manager himself, Dave Roberts as show Heyo Tani is not a two way player tonight, Yes, show Heyo Tani is pitching. He is the Dodgers starter. He'll be on the mound comes seven to ten. But Dalton Rushing is the Dodgers designated hitter.
Speaker 4: More on that.
Speaker 6: Throughout the pregame show, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. We'll hear from Charlie Steiner. Shortly, we'll also hear from Alex Vesia. We'll check in with Steven Nelson, Rick Monday and the crew out the gallpin Ford Broadcast Booth coming up in just a little bit.
Speaker 4: Well, last night, the.
Speaker 6: Ravine and Old School pitchers duel between Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Nolan McClain. Yamamoto pitched a season high seven and two third innings line one run, one walk, four hits, and a season high seven strikeouts.
Speaker 4: The Mets. McClain was equally as good.
Speaker 6: McClain struck out eight over seven innings, giving up two hits, one run, just two walks.
Speaker 4: Both starters were great.
Speaker 6: Both starters gave up a run of the first inning before locking in in the top of the first. Francisco Lindor started things off with his solo home run as the Mets grabbed an early one to ninhing lead. But in the bottom of the first, Kyle Tucker drew a one out walk, Will Smith doubled and Freddie Freeman grounded out to the first butt.
Speaker 4: Tucker was able to score on the play that tied the game at one.
Speaker 6: After that first inning, again, Yamamoto McClain were dealing nearly unhittable. Both put up zeros in the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth through seven innings. Finally, in the eighth, McClain out of the game. The Dodgers offense got to work. Miguel Rojas the lead off walk two batters later, showing Otani intentionally walked that brought up Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 7: Dodgers won Mets one.
Speaker 2: Bottom of the eighth, first and second, one out, Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 7: At the plate. The pitch Tucker jam clear.
Speaker 3: Into left field, hit books out for ahead. Here's Rojas, he scores and Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 4: Hun ties it.
Speaker 8: Inside out swing looked like he got Jamndavid so Rayley missed on the Oak two with a big sweeping curve ball outside. He tried to come back inside and it cost him dearly.
Speaker 6: Kyle Tucker with the pitching wedge, just lobs it over third base into shallow left field, scoring the runner Rojas. That's the top show player the game, right to my Arco quality, top tier gas for less than Dodgers.
Speaker 4: A two to one lead the ninth belonged to Alex Vessia. He was fired up.
Speaker 6: He came in, struck out the first two batters he faced, then made quick work of Francisco Alvarez.
Speaker 2: Alex Vessia one more strike, that's all that's needed. The pitch checks, hanging a breaking ball down and then.
Speaker 3: He went around and top so in for La. Alex Fesia strikes out the side and records his second save in as many outings. The Dodgers thanks to Kyle Tucker's RBI single in the eighth, and Bessie is working the ninth. Take game two by a final of two to one.
Speaker 6: Ballgame Meet the Mets step right up and beat the Mets two to one. The final Dodgers with the win now thirteen and four on the season. They hand the Mets their seventh straight loss. Tonight they look to finish off New York Show. Hey Otani on the map, first pitch at seven to ten, and with more we head out to the galloping four to broadcast booth as we welcome in Stephen Nelson and Rick Monday.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 2: All right, Tim Kates, it is a gorgeous Wednesday here at Uniclow Field at Dodgers Stadium, where the Dodgers and Mets are preparing for a series finale and mode. The Dodgers are preparing to sweep the Mets out of LA and head into the off day, the travel day before a seven game road trip. They're about to play thirteen games thirteen days. And so the news of today is at show, Hey old Tani starting on the mound, but not in the lineup, as.
Speaker 7: It does not in the lineup.
Speaker 9: And you know, there's been some talk you bandied about really last year and so far early going in this year as well.
Speaker 7: I think I'm pounded too.
Speaker 9: And Dave Roberts talking to members the medium, compounded by the fact that he took a fast ball.
Speaker 7: Off the back of his right shoulder.
Speaker 9: A couple of nights ago, there might still be some residual soreness right in that area. The other part, too, is that the talk was going to continue when Otani is pitching in particular at home and he's in the lineup as a DH, are they going to maybe move him down that lineup so he can get at least a breather coming off the mound and then getting prepared to put the helmet on, get the bat, get everything else ready to go and hit itself and it doesn't have to worry about that. Tonight the lineup changes a little bit as there's old Kyle Tucker in the elite off spot. Then Freddie Freeman founded by Will Smith, and Hashung Kim gets the start at shortstop de Secon.
Speaker 2: You know, when the lineup was initially sent out, I knew, you knew that there was going to be some heads tilting and some questions for Dave robertson that was the first several minutes of his press commerce were about that. You expected that, But internally I'm thinking it's a number of combinations. One, it's April fifteen, two he got hit by a pitch on Monday. Dave Roberts said, if it was not for the hit by a pitch on his right scapula, then he would be in there as a DH Today, you have already clinched this series again, You're about to play thirteen consecutive games, including the first four on the road in Colorado, and everybody knows what that does to a player's body. So that, combined with Dalton Rushing's form to start the year, it just makes sense to not try and push the pedal to the Metta.
Speaker 9: And I think if you're looking at the long picture of it, is it giving him a rest where I'm marveling the fact that shoe Hee Otani is able to do two roles for the same time. I know what it took from a hitting standpoint and the defensive standpoint on a daily basis. At this level, it is amazing. The amount of injury energy that it tasted is down in order to also do the pitching aspects of it while you're working around all that other stuff. I'm flabbergast that you can do it, and do it to the level that he has done it.
Speaker 2: It's just a marvel Look, he's gone six innings in each of his first two starts. That Dave Roberts was a little hesitant to say if he would officially have a shorter leash tonight given some of the soreness and fatigue that he's experienced over the last week and then getting hit by a pitch on Monday. So we'll find out how deep he can go to the game with the Dodgers bullpen is certainly well rested heading into this series finale. Tim, we'll be back a little bit later with a key from Mo.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you, Nelly, as we count you down to first pitch. Dodger fans, get your game day meal on at Shakey's Pizza Parlor. You can order hear shakiest Pizza Shaken and Bojo's right now at shakyas dot Com.
Speaker 4: Coming up here on Marongo Casino.
Speaker 6: Dodgers on deck on this Jackie Robinson Day, you're going to hear of the manager Dave Roberts. We will check in with David vans more on Showyotani, not the dah tonight, not a two way player, just your starting pitcher against the New York Mets. That's all coming up to be a lead job to first pitch at seven ten right here on your back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers Hunting Game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: It's a Dodgers and the New York Mets Showyotani Clay Holmes. The pitching matchup on this Jackie Robinson first pitch is seven ten.
Speaker 1: This is the otanis rewind.
Speaker 6: Show, Hey Otani oh for three but with an intentional walk in the bottom of the eighth inning. Otani extends is on Bay Street to forty eight games.
Speaker 4: Show.
Speaker 6: Hey Otani now only trails Duke Snyder, Sean Green, and Willie Keeler for the longest on bass streak in Dodger history. Dodger's Baseball is brought to you by Cars for Kids, the easiest way to get rid of your old car. Donate today, your car could be picked up tomorrow. Donate now at carsfour Kids dot Org. That's Cars with the K. The Dodgers get the win last night, alex Vestia comes in, strikes up the side of the ninth inning and afterwards talked with our Kirston Watson.
Speaker 10: Well, Alex Fers, I want you to look up there.
Speaker 1: And that entire suite is here for you.
Speaker 10: How special is it to share this healthcare appreciation and with the team that supported you and your wife so closely.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna cry, man, this is uh very emotional day.
Speaker 11: Everyone up there played a very, very very big part. Kay and I are I'm just so happy to family share it today. For me to get a save, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 10: Yeah, let's talk some baseball. Your second save of the season, navigating through that lineup. Clearly you had everything working, striking out the side. Describe to you what you were feeling and how you just chose to navigate through there.
Speaker 4: I mean, basketball come in.
Speaker 11: I felt like I had it in the bullpen. I actually I barely threw any change up for so sliders, who was just more just getting the basketball dialed in trusting Well, I love that guy, and yeah, we just all I wanted to do was just put the pressure on the hitters.
Speaker 7: And tonight what's.
Speaker 10: Going tonight was truly a picture's tool. When you look at Yoshinobu did blake China yourself? What is it like when you're just a part of a pitching staff that is going out executing on alf facets.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Yam, Yam's one of the greatest pitchers ever. We're watching greatness day in and day out, and I'm really happy for for Blake to get the last out there and then for myself.
Speaker 1: Just shut the door, Alex.
Speaker 10: This night was special for so many reasons, but it was clear that you had an angel with you out there on the mound. Congratulations on your second stay with the season, and thank you as all, thank you, thank.
Speaker 4: You all Right, there's Alex Vessio.
Speaker 6: Last night a very special emotional night for he and his wife on the field, locked down for the Dodgers, save as they get the victory, and now tonight they go for the three game sweep over the New York Mets with show Hey Otani on the mount again, Show Hey will not back tonight. He is not the designated hitter that is Dalton Rushing. He is just the Dodgers starting pitcher tonight at seven ten. Still they come here on Morocco Casino, Dodgers on deck, will dive deeper into this pitching matchup, David vad saying goes one on one with a great man from a great spot, and up next we get you an injury report as well. Here from the manager himself, Dave Roberts. That's all coming up. Dodgers and Mets on this Jackie Robinson Day. I'm Tim Kates. This is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Audio Delas, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. On your hole for the blue all season long.
Speaker 6: Marago Casino Dodgers on Deck continues as we lead up to first pitch. Had the New York Mets on this Jackie Robinson Day, Marongo Casino Resort and Spa a grand slam for a good time show. Hey O Tani on the mound.
Speaker 4: First pitch at seven ten.
Speaker 1: It's the LA Dodgers Injury.
Speaker 6: Report presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Been Consparraus on the iel with the right shoulder inflammation.
Speaker 6: Mookie Betts, who you heard from last night, with David Vasse on the IL with the right obleaque strain, Tommy Evan recovering from off season ankle surgery, Blake Snell throwing again. More on that with David Vasse coming up. Brock Stewart on a minor league rehab assignment last night in Ontario. He with the tower buzzers and looks like he's going to spend the next three weeks rapping up to join this Dodgers' bullpen, so that is certainly good news. Kevin Stone, Landing Neck, Evan Phillips, Bruce Dargrauder, all all different spots working their way back from arm injuries.
Speaker 4: Let's head back out to the stadium and check you out with the Dodgers kipper.
Speaker 7: Anything do you questions for Dave? Dave? Can you just describe Dave? Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 1: The dugouts with Dave Rob.
Speaker 2: We're just what went into the county, not the Asian today.
Speaker 12: Just uh feeling that you know what gives him the best chance to uh stay loose U during the outing, you know, feel good and uh you know, he got hit on the scapula of the back of the shoulder a couple of days ago, so there's still some sortus in there. So you know, when he's hitting, there's a component that he's in the cage getting ready to hit, and you know, if we can take that off his plate and just focus on one thing tonight, we felt training staff, pitching coaches and myself, we just felt it was the best thing for him. So once I told him he completely understood.
Speaker 2: He's obviously still been throwing the last couple of days. Has he had issues like getting loose again.
Speaker 13: He hit after it's throwing in the afternoons, and that the best real.
Speaker 10: Prompt with this.
Speaker 12: He feels much better today than he did today days ago, and he feels better today than he did yesterday. There was some of that early, which is natural, but going into tonight he feels good.
Speaker 10: Last week he talked about being a little like fatigued after a start, and some of those mechanics were also off.
Speaker 4: Is that something you considered.
Speaker 12: As well, you know, uh, not really in the sense because if it weren't for the hit by pitch, he would have been dhing and pitching tonight. But I do think that just to be able to pitch and focus on that, I think will be of benefit for the mind and the body and hopefully, you know, we're just in a little moment of fatigue and we can get past it, which I think that, you know, talking to Thomas today, Showy came in feeling good, but we're going to keep a watchful eye on him.
Speaker 4: Though Tomorrow also had made that.
Speaker 12: Decision that was more the decision of pitching them having that lined up. But again, if he wouldn't have got hit, he would have DH today. So I just think in this one game it just makes most sense of given the best chance to kind of manage the shoulder.
Speaker 7: In the back.
Speaker 6: All Right, there's the manager, Dave Roberts explaining why Showey Otani is not a two way player tonight. He is just the starting pitcher instead, don't rushing serving.
Speaker 4: As the DH for the Dodgers.
Speaker 6: When we continue here on Wrongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we check in with David Vaz moron Otani, an update on Edwin Diaz, and a special day out at the Ravine. That's all coming up as we lead up to Dodgers and Mets on this Jackie Robinson Day. First pitch from Uniclo Field that Dodgers dadiums at seven ten. I'm Tim Kass, the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and the New York Mets. Showy Otani Clay Holmes a pitching matchup Dodgers Baseball. Brought to you by Elpoto, born in la and made for your game day. El Poto brings authentic Mexican style tomato, sauce, sauces and hot sauces right to your table.
Speaker 4: El Potto Gourmet and a.
Speaker 1: Can joining Tim kats on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 5: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David all Right, DV.
Speaker 6: This is a pretty big deal, right, the fact that showe Hey Otani's healthy, not recovering from Tommy John surgery, and he's not a two way player in a game tonight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's significant. It's something that hasn't happened since May of twenty twenty one, with Otani on the mound and not in the starting lineup as the DH. So it is significant. But Dave Roberts, as you heard, gave the reason. What factored into it is the fact that he got hit high on the shoulder, his right pitching shoulder in the first game of the series. David Peterson, the left handed starter for the Mets, had had some problems with command and hit Otani high up on the right shoulder, so that factored into it. One thing to take into account about tonight. I know, Dave joke to let Carlos Mendoza know that Otani's still available to come off the bench. Well, that's not possible because the Otani rule is out of play when Otani is just pitching and not in the starting lineup. That was put in place for Otani when he was in the starting lineup and he stopped pitching coming out of the game. Well, he's not in the starting lineup, so he'll be treated as any other starting pitcher. Once he's out of the game, he's out of the game. He can't come off the bench to pinch hit.
Speaker 4: Interesting gainst great information, Dave.
Speaker 6: Brought to you by the Ford Maverick Motor trends at North American Truck of the Year. The Ford Maverick everything you need in the most innovative truck with forty two miles per down of the best MSRP. If it's category, it's time to see Ford in a new light. Go to your Southern California. Have four dealers today? All right, David, what's the update on Edwin Diaz.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dave Roberts has said that Edwin Diaz has been available the last couple of days and that's not true. It's just a competitive gamesmanship not allowing the Mets to know whether or not Daz was available to come out of the bullpen. But yesterday Edwin Diaz threw a bullpen session because the trainers wanted to see how he looked and if everything was in one piece, and he passed the test. But when you throw a bullpen session as a reliever, you're not coming into the.
Speaker 4: Game that same night.
Speaker 5: So Diaz did not throw a bullpen session today, and by all accounts, he should be available if there is a safe situation.
Speaker 4: David.
Speaker 6: Jackie Robinson Day always a special day when the Dodgers at home. I know Dave Roberts has done something annually that's pretty special.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he actually, and the Dodgers have done something ever since they moved the Jackie Robinson statue from the upper reserve level to that beautiful center field plaza area. Ever since then, they've had whoever the Dodgers are playing on Jackie Robinson Day go out there with the Dodgers wearing their full uniforms, everybody wearing forty two tonight, and they usually get a guest speaker to go out there. Anybody from Magic Johnson to Kareem Abdul Jabbard or Reggie Smith. And today it was Bob Kendrick, who's going to join us later in the show, the president of the Negro League Baseball Museum. He flew out from Kansas City where that museum's at and really gave a powerful history lesson to the players. And it's always a special day Jackie Robinson Day.
Speaker 4: But there seems to be a.
Speaker 5: Little added more when the Dodgers are at home and you have that statue out there and they use it in a way that is a powerful to remind everybody just his impact on this franchise and on the country. So it's always special here at Dodgers Stadium, and even more special because the Mets are here. The Mets were the team that was expanded after the Dodgers and Giants left New York. The Mets their colors are a combination of Dodger blue and Giants orange. That's how that all came together, all.
Speaker 6: Right, Davin, time now for the Dodger Jervy as we pick a horse and at Santa Anita tomorrow, let's go at the first race one mile on the turf.
Speaker 4: Who do you like in the seven horse race.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go with Baby needs Shoes, the number one horse.
Speaker 6: All right, I'm gonna go intuitive by nature, the three horse, Intuitive by nature.
Speaker 4: Good luck to you, David, great stuff. We'll check back with you in just a little bit.
Speaker 6: Celebrate ninety years of horse racing at San Anita every Friday through Sunday with millions of payouts every race day, weekend and mission parking in a program just ten dollars every Friday's free. Explore new experiences at the Great Race Place, Santa Nita dot Com. Slash events coming up here on Dodgers on Deck. We'll get a little bit more to this pitching matchup, but up next your Dodgers Magical Moment Dodgers Mets. First pitch is seven ten. I'm Tim Kates at the Back to back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers Hunting Game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: Dodgers and the New York Mets on this Jackie Robinson Day Show. Yo, Tony clay Holm was a pitching matchup well, Charlie Steinner coming up in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 4: First pitch set for seven ten.
Speaker 8: Ig, who wants.
Speaker 1: That hot It's time for the Hawfe Magical moment. It's magical presented by Hawby hot Dogs.
Speaker 6: Well, with it being Jackie Robinson day, we go back to nineteen fifty six the World Series between the.
Speaker 4: Didgers and the New York Yankees.
Speaker 6: It was Game six at mis Field, Dodgers down three games to one. They needed a win to force a Game seven. Well, the Dodgers would go to extra innings in this Game six. As the Dodgers had runners on, Duke Snyder was intentionally walked by Casey Stangle. He didn't want to pitch to him, and so he said his uh pitcher Turtly, Well, let's get to Jackie Robinson instead. Runners on first and second, with two down.
Speaker 14: Tob the White handles Buddy the con one and one, Jilly, I'm hands on half to play pump thinking the bull tur Rob White, here con up the pet I think the left.
Speaker 1: Turkey, Robin, what.
Speaker 13: Er wait up?
Speaker 4: Bob Wolf on the call.
Speaker 6: Jackie Robinson's walk off single and the tenth inning forces a Game seven of the nineteen fifty six World Series. It would be the final hit in Jackie Robinson's Hall of Fame career. How about that great highlight thanks to Joyne McDonald's for find that. This Hofey magical moment brought to you by Hoffey Hot Talks Haffey Sokw's Local Treasure for nearly one hundred years Offfey Hot Talks Local and so great.
Speaker 4: When we continue here.
Speaker 6: On Wrongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we will check in with Charlie Steiner leads up to first pitch Dodgers and Mets on this Wednesday night. I'm Tim kas Is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the blue.
Speaker 6: All season long HiT's the Dodgers and the New York matches. They wrap up this three game series. Dodgers going for the sweep with show Hey O.
Speaker 4: Tany on the Mountain.
Speaker 6: Time Now for the Verizon startup, as we are thirty five minutes away from the start of this game. Now, Verizon, you can lock in your low price for three years so you can save big. Visit the Verizon store today. We check in with Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 15: All right, Tim, the Dodgers looking for a clean sweep of the Mets. Dodgers at thirteen and four of one nine of their last eleven. They're eight and zero against National League rivals. The Mets, on the other hand, not so lucky, seven to eleven. They've lost seventh straight. They've scored once in the last three games, during which time they have been outscored thirty six to ten. Last night, mall a terrific pitchers tool. We got to see McClean up closed for the first time and he was terrific. And Yamamoto was once again Yamamoto.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he got everybody's attention. And when you look at the third pitch in the ball game was a hit for home run Francisco lintur So. The Mets had the early lead and that was about it. But I thought that last night's ballgame was really a great display on pitching. I know there were some people I mentioned during the broadcast. They said, there's some people say, geez, the neither team's hitting today. Well there was a reason for it. The pitching was absolutely stellar in last night's contest and.
Speaker 15: Tonight show, hey Otani comes into the game with his forty eight game consecutive on bass streak, got the intentional walk in his final lite bat last night, so he comes in with that record on the line, and he also brings in an er of nothing zero zip zip zip.
Speaker 9: Against Clayholm, and we're going to see a different version of show Hey o'tani because as he is the starting pitcher, it's the first time that we've seen now this year that he is not in the starting lineup. Dave Roberts will turn things around as far as the batting, so it's going to be Kyle Tucker that starts it off in right field, and Freddy Freeman has moved up to the number two spot today, Charles, that's a little bit of a difference on that. Then Will Smith, the Oscar hernandez I saw Kim will be at shortstop, and Dalton Rushing will be in the lineup as the designated hit or not as the catcher, but as the DH tonight.
Speaker 15: And the Mets have tried to avoid an eight game losing street. Meanwhile, of course, the big story it is Jackie Robinson day. And I was kind of reading some stuff and one of the things that struck me, and we've seen Rachel around the ballpark so many years years ago. She's now one hundred and three mo.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I saw that today, and as elegant as ever, I started to reflect back upon an afternoon that you and I had the privilege of being upstairs on the eighth floor when the dedication of the Jackie Robinson statue, which originally was up there before they moved it out of the center field and the Blase out there, and Rachel Robinson was there. Vince Gully was the MC. And how gracious of a human being that she has been through all this endeavors. We talked about Jackie Robinson, but you have to consider too, is that his bride. You talk about having the perfect person besides your beside you during life, it was Rachel Robinson who had to also experience a lot of things as Jackie came up into Major League Baseball.
Speaker 15: And on this day, of course, Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier. He was twenty eight years old at the time, Martin Luther King was eighteen, and on this day in nineteen forty seven, it was eight years before Rosa Parks famously refused to give up her seat to a white man down in Montgomery, Alabama. Another thing about Robinson, of course, you and I have had the privilege to spend a lot of time with the Robinson family, Rachel in particular, forty four years before Robinson joined the Dodgers, forty four years before, their collective winning percentage was four eighty four, three World Series appeared, no wins. In the ten years at Robinson played for the Dodgers, the Dodger winning percentage was six point thirty one, with six World Series appearances and of course the championship in fifty five. So on every level, Jackie Robinson made an impact. And even we can set aside on the field what he has meant to this country and just and then you.
Speaker 7: Also throw winning.
Speaker 14: We've talked about it a lot.
Speaker 15: Too, what he has meant to the Dodgers, and therefore what the Dodgers have meant to baseball.
Speaker 10: And so on.
Speaker 9: I looked up yesterday the first game that Jackie played in. He scored the winning run in that game. He was zerover three as a hitter. He hit a home run that day for society or you nail that too, all right.
Speaker 15: So the Dodgers looking to sweep the three game series, and it's off to Colorado, and don't forget your galoshes up. The first pitch coming up in.
Speaker 6: Just a bit, all right, thank you, Charlie. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by City of Hope. Preparation, precision, and unrelenting commitment to being the best at what they do.
Speaker 4: And they are.
Speaker 6: That's what makes a champion at City of Hope. That commitment has one focus curing cancer.
Speaker 4: City of Hope.
Speaker 6: Champions of Hope, make an appointment today at cityo Hope dot Org.
Speaker 4: Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 6: Before first pitch, we'll get you a preview of this pitching matchup Steven Nelson Rick Monday, we'll get those keys of the game. But up next we go high and tight with a very special guest, Bob Kendrick, the president of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City. That is next on this Jackie Robinson Day, Dodgers and the Mets. First pitch is seven to ten. I'm Tim Kats's the back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Morongo Sino Dodgers on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: It's a Dodgers and the New York Mets on this Jackie Robinson Day Show.
Speaker 4: Hey o Tani on the Mount.
Speaker 6: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. When it is game night, it's group night at Shakey's dot Com.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vast a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 4: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This is high and tight.
Speaker 5: Well, it's an extra special Jackie Robinsonde at Dodgers Stadium. Not only the Mets are in town, but we have the president of the Negro League Museum in town and he addressed the Dodgers and Mets earlier today. And that's my guy, Bob Kendrick. Bob, thank you so much. And man, it's great to be in La with you instead of Kansas City.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and now it's great to be back here at Dodgers Stadium, to be here in the great city of LA. And what an incredible celebration this is every year, but for me, it means so much more to actually be here as part of this celebration.
Speaker 5: What did it mean to you when the Dodgers asked you to come to La come to Dodgers Stadium, and in the shadow of this statue, speak to the Dodgers and Mets.
Speaker 7: It was it was special. It was special.
Speaker 13: So you feel a very strong sense of pride that they think enough of the work that we do there in Kansas City that it would be meaningful for me to be here to deliver the address to the two ball clubs. And so that means a great deal to all of us at the Negro League Baseball Museum.
Speaker 5: Those of us that had visited several times. I remember my first time was with Andre Ethier, and you give us not only a history lesson in baseball, but a history lesson in American history. Is that what you were trying to convey to these ballplayers that may not know you.
Speaker 13: Know, because with each generation we move further and further away. Because I have to remind myself not to for granted that everyone knows Jackie's incredible story, because the byproduct of progress is that we have a tendency to forget, and we cannot forget what Jackie was able to do. And you're right, Jackie's story, the story of the Negro Leagues in general, is much bigger than the game of baseball. Yet it's still just a tiny part of the great story of a game of baseball. And anytime that we get the opportunity to elevate the awareness, hopefully the interest, and remind people of just how courageous Jackie Robinson was, we want to make sure that we take full advantage of that and for me to be able to make the connectivity to his incredible story back to the negro leagues, because this does not happen without the negro leagues. Now, you've got to think that baseball would have integrated at some point in time, but who knows how long? And then where were those players going to come from if you did not have the negro leagues? And so the stories cannot be separated. But a lot of people don't know that side of his story as it relates to his time in Kansas City with the great Kansas City monarchs.
Speaker 5: I love how Bob Kendrick reminded everybody what Jackie Robinson did was before Rosa Parks, was before doctor Martin Luther King Junior. He is at the forefront of the civil rights movement.
Speaker 13: So you can effectively divide the twentieth century into two pieces. Before Jackie and after Jackie. That's the profound impact that he had, and he was the spark that ignited the civil rights movement in this country. Now oftentimes people don't necessarily connect the two, but we do, and I think it is eye opening for people when they do learn how at the forefront of this movement he really was.
Speaker 5: Now, we love having Bob Kendrick in Los Angeles, but you have to get to Kansas City to the Negro League Baseball Museum. That is one of the more special places. And my favorite piece in that museum is the painting of the Dinner that we've heard don Nucom tell many times before.
Speaker 13: Yes, the painting is called Grace, and Nuke told the story with great clarity, and he was so inspired when he would tell that story, and it was captivating, and he would oftentimes tell the story of how they had dinner. He Jackie, Roy Campanella, and Doctor King sitting down having dinner when Doctor King conveyed to them that he could not have done what they did because they were out there moving the needle for progress. Now Here is the greatest civil rights leader of all time acknowledging what Jackie did as an individual because he was.
Speaker 7: Playing a team sport.
Speaker 13: When he took that field with the Brooklyn Dodgers, he was visualized and that he could not have done it, and that they helped make his job easier. That alone should help us understand the impact of what Jackie was able to do. And then those other integration pioneers who followed Jackie. Yeah, the Don Newcomb's, the Roy Campanella's, the Junior Gilliams, the Joe Blacks, who are all tied to the Dodgers organization, all played a significant role in helping move the needle of progress forward. And I think that's what doctor King was relating, and that painting so beautifully depicts them. They're sitting at the dinner table holding hands while they're saying grace. Very powerful certainly is so.
Speaker 5: Is Bob Kendrick. There are so many ways to describe you. Your genuine love for the stories that you tell and the meaning behind them come across, whether it's to the Dodgers or Mets, or to anybody that comes to visit the Negro League Hall of Fame the museum. So man awesome to have you out here. Glad your knee is doing good and you still got the best style in America, hands down.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the news doing much better than that when I saw you last and I was trying to fake it. I was trying to move around without my braso. But the news much much much better. The thing that I've learned, the older I get, the slur, the healing processes. But it's what an honor to be part of this celebration and to be back here at Dodger Stadium. So thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 5: I'll never forget this Jackie Robinson Day. Thank you for stopping by. And awesome to do this with you in front of this statue.
Speaker 13: Yeah, no, this made it even special. And to have the two clubs gathered around this amazing piece of art that really is alive. Yeah, and it lives through all of them who play this game, and we wanted to remind them that they do carry that level of civic and social responsibility with them.
Speaker 7: We all do.
Speaker 13: We all do.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Bob there.
Speaker 5: He is my guy, Bob Kendrick, more than just the president of the Negro League Baseball Museum. He's one of a kind, all class, great person and we love having you here. So I know you're in demand today. You better get that in me moving.
Speaker 14: There he is.
Speaker 5: Bob Kendrick has been our guest. We'll send it back to you in the studio, Tim, and this has been brought to you by Navvy and Tankless Water Heaters.
Speaker 6: All Right, thanks a lot of DV A great guy, Bob Kendrick. Make sure you check out the museum if you're in the Kansas City area. It's got so much history to the game of baseball and society and our culture. Dodgers Baseball presented by Uniclode Field the Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 4: Visit uniclode dot com slash us. As we lead up the first pitch, Dodgers and Mets up next, we'll have zep for of this pitching matchup. Don't go anywhere. I'm Tim Kass the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Wrongo Casino Dodgers Hunts on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: Dodgers and Mets one final time from the Ravine. First pitch from you Clo Field the Dodgers Stadium coming up at seven ten YEA.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching matchups.
Speaker 4: Presented by your Toyota Dealers, We make it easy.
Speaker 6: Clay Holmes on the Mound thirty three year old right hander and ninth season in the Big Leagues Pirates Yankees, now his second season with the Mett Sinkers sweeper change of cutter.
Speaker 4: He gets a lot of ground balls.
Speaker 6: In fact, sixty one percent of the balls put in playoff of him are ground balls.
Speaker 4: That's best in the major leagues.
Speaker 6: This year, he pitched for the WBC Team USA, making his four start this year, last time out five innings. He allowed two or fewer runs in all three of those starts. Last time out again was five innings, one run, five hits, and three strikeouts. This is his first start against the Dodgers in his career, but he has faced him eight times as a reliever.
Speaker 4: Show hey.
Speaker 6: Otani want to know zero Era Thirty one year old right hander making his third start this year last time out, six innings, one run, four hits, two strikeouts. Had a no decision against the Blue Jays last week in Toronto. The last time Otani started a game on the mound but not in the lineup. May twenty eighth, twenty twenty one, the year before Major League Baseball instituted was known as the Otani rule, which allows players to spend entire game in the lineup if they're also at d H. Tonight the first time Showy Otani is ever facing the New York Mets. Show Heyo, Tony Clay Holmes, Dodgers Mets. We're fifteen minutes away for first pitch. Keys to the game. Our next I'm Tim kais is the back to.
Speaker 4: Back World Series champion Dodgers audio nowhere.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on your home for the Blue All season.
Speaker 6: Long, It's the Dodgers and then New York Mets on this Jackie Robinson Day. Showyo, Tony Clay Holmes. The pitching matchup. As we get you ready for the start of the game with the Sapporo starts a great moments. Start with Saporo beer, whatever your taste preference. Toporo has you cover with a variety of crisp and refreshing loggers, including light and non alcoholic beers. Siporo good with sushi, great with baseball. Before first pitch, back out to the booth. Steven Nelson, Rick Monday, guys.
Speaker 2: All right, TC, we are approaching first pitch it'll be three by show Hey Well Tani opposite Clay Holmes for the Mets.
Speaker 7: The Dodgers have a.
Speaker 2: Chance to sweep the series here against New York and continue to extend their best record in baseball. Right now twelve and four entering the night, and the New York Mets are going the wrong way without want Soto. They have lost seven in a row. So, Mo, what is top of mind for you this?
Speaker 9: I think the biggest thing is what's the condition of show hey o Tani. Is there any residual effects of being hit on the back of the right shoulder a couple of nights ago. Is that going to enter into the picture at all? Dave Roberts said they're going to watch him very very closely tonight, And I think from a Dodger hitting standpoint against the left hander Clay Holmes, understand, first of all, he is primarily a ground ball pitcher, and the fact that he gets behind if we look at what he did last year and so far this season and the other three starts that he's had when he's been behind the count, he's really relied upon the fastball more than anything else. And this left hander, I mean, he has really been sensational when he's had traffic on the base with runners in the scoring position last year and so far this season just a one to eleven batting average against.
Speaker 7: He knows what he's doing out there.
Speaker 2: Another thing too, while show Hee Otani comes into tonight, he has the longest active on bay streak in baseball forty eight games, and the longest active streak without allowing an urn run on the mound. He gave up a run in Toronto, but it was unearned. The on bay streak will not be impacted tonight if he doesn't have a plate appearance, So I know there was a question down stare. Some of the media, especially the Japanese, mean to wait like his will his on base streak come to an end if he pitches tonight. But he's not gonna hit. No, that does not impact the other things. I know everything is unique with him, But if you don't have played appearance, you're on bay streak game coming?
Speaker 7: It is? It is? It isn't it is? It isn't. Stay tuned fast to the seatbelt. Hey, we're wearing to go.
Speaker 2: We're excited to watch show Hee Otani on the mound tonight and see if the Dodgers can finish his home stand on a high note in a series sweep.
Speaker 7: Tim, we'll get it back to.
Speaker 6: You, all right, Thank you guys, first pitches, next show, Hey Otani on the mound when we come back. Enjoy everybody. I'm sim Kate's. This has been Moroco Casino Dodgers on the back on the back to back of the World Series Champion Dodgers audio numbers