Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. We're in the office of the manager that has won three World Championships, including back to back titles, and his team is off to the best start in Dodger history since nineteen seventy seven. That's the one and only Dave Roberts. Dave, thanks a lot for allowing me into the office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dave, it's always good catching up with you, and yeah, we're off to a good start. And you know it's interesting is yesterday we were in the midst of snow and today it's clear skies and it's seventy degrees.
Speaker 3: Dave.
Speaker 1: One thing that I'm not sure everybody can wrap their head around. You're the manager. You're never feeling comfortable no matter how good the record is. How do you handle this with the team playing as well as it has.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 2: I think that there's a realistic perspective of presence in the sense of appreciating that you're winning more than you're losing, which is good. But I think as a manager you're always mindful of trying to keep things on the rails and moving forward, so you know, whether it's player staff, how we play, you know, the mindset, the mechanics part of it, and just trying to have a pulse on that. So but again still being positive and appreciating the start we're off.
Speaker 1: At this time last year, the defense was a little inconsistent, the bullpen was a little leaky. How big had those two areas contributed to having the best record to start the year both both.
Speaker 2: I think that certainly the bullpen has done a fantastic job. There was obviously, you know, going back to last year, there's a lot of questions with the pen, and then you know, coming into the spring, how the spring some of these guys had. There were some questions kind of coming into the season, but all those questions have been answered up to this point, and you know, so I'm really excited about what they're doing. And the starting pitchers have done a fantastic job. And obviously we saw what Tyler did last night, and hopefull Emmitt can build on what he's done the last couple outings and the defense, and so I think that for me, it's what Andy's done at in center field, what Max has done at third base, and obviously, you know you expect the shortstop play to be really good even without Mooki out. But I think Tao's done a great job. I think Tuck's played a really nice defense and a nice right field, and Freddy's done well. So across the diamond, we're playing well and it's good to see.
Speaker 1: Is it fair to say it feels like the pieces are fitting a little better defensively this year?
Speaker 2: They are, they are, but I just feel that we're also playing better. I think that you know, Max looks a lot better, He's in better shape. I think that Freddie's done a lot to work on his mobility, which has helped, and obviously adding Tucker, I think Tucker's done a nice job in right field, and then I think Tao's inspired and he's playing really good left field, and he's getting off the ball really well. And Andy continues to make stride, so it's fun to see. And at second base, Alex Fri one of the things that we asked him to do is play good defense, and he's done that and getting Hayes on Kim in the mix. He's you know, been a wonder at second and a shortstop. So across the board it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 3: It's so unique.
Speaker 1: You come off back to back championships, yet individually, it seems like some of your better players are still playing with a chip on their shoulder. Have you have you experienced anything like this? How unique it is for so many guys that have won but are acting like they haven't won yet.
Speaker 3: I've never seen anything like this, you know.
Speaker 2: It seems like every year I say, this is the best group of men I've ever been around, And this is the best group I've ever been around. And it's the character, it's how they work, the focus, and yeah, I think that these guys understand the opportunity we have as far as the chance to win three in a row, something that's unprecedented in the National League, and they want to make their marketing baseball on Dodger history. So but with that, you still got to go out there every day and and play the right way. And that's what I really marvel at, you know, because I think that there's no talk of a let down, a hangover, because I do think that you know yourself, and people that are familiar with our ball club know that that's not who we are, and we're showing that with the start that we've had.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts is our guest in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Rockies. Here's another thing I'm curious about.
Speaker 3: You have so.
Speaker 1: Many really good players, and you know this. You have to have a certain level of ego to be as good as some of these guys are. How have you found a way How have they found a way to check their egos at the door, because there's other teams out there that have a big egos and they can't seem to do that.
Speaker 3: Starts with Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 2: I think that he's you know, he's going to be a first ballot Hall of Famer. There's there's not an entinement, there's a there's a gratitude, there's a responsibility. I think that you know, with our guys, this game doesn't need any of us. And I think our guys have that appreciation the responsibility to go out there and play a certain way. And I do think that with success comes an inflated ego. And you know, the media, the fans telling you how good you are, but you can't let that bleed into your psyche because I do believe that, you know, the saying, you're never as good as they say, and you're never as bad and so our guys have that even keeled mindset and that grinder mindset. And when you take a lot of talent, like minded talent and you perform the way we do and prepare the way we do, that's why we have something special.
Speaker 1: You can appreciate this more than most being a UCLA Bruin going to college there with Coach Wooden being around, his famous saying was make every day your masterpiece? In other words, do you feel like you and your players try to make every day your masterpiece without getting too far ahead?
Speaker 2: I love that and I love that, and I think for me it's every day's a test, you know, and I think that you know, what you did yesterday doesn't you know, matter today, and so it's hard to you know, to make a masterpiece. But I respect what Coach Woulden said I and I love that mindset, that idea, and me being a Bruin as well, I love it. And I think for me it's just to add on to that is you know, every day's a test. You know, you're you're trying to prepare and you know you got to pass a test and nothing is owed to you. So very similar and for me to be even mentioned in the same breadth as coach Wood and is something that's truly humbling for me.
Speaker 1: All Right, Dave, thanks a lot for the time. It is incredible to watch this run of success that you've had since you've taken over managing the Dodgers since twenty sixteen. And we'll make today our masterpiece.
Speaker 3: Love it. Thanks Dave.