Speaker 1: The News Junkie starts now.
Speaker 2: It is Thursday, July sixteenth to twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Watch to get to today.
Speaker 2: From the Blue Angel, flyover to early reviews for The Odyssey a run Hinge? And should prisoners be having World Cup watch parties? Plus your calls, dispatches, emails, text, san more Sea Waight is here. So are you? Send us a dispatch over at Thenewsjunkie dot com, or use the News Junkie app to send yours today. You can also watch the show on YouTube, land, Twitch, dot tv, slash the News Junkie.
Speaker 1: Your messages coming in in real time. I said that all sorts of sideways. How's everybody doing on a Thursday? Switching up today? Day one of the switch up. I didn't mean to.
Speaker 2: I was just like, at the last minute, I was changing the title of the stream.
Speaker 1: That's bad too, I was.
Speaker 2: I was flailing, man, I don't ever do that, and I go, what should I call it? This?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: And then you do a couple of generic ones.
Speaker 2: Like I can't take it anymore, and then I realize, Okay, I'm just I've just got to start the show here.
Speaker 1: So here we are.
Speaker 2: We've got a health You're all good health wise. I think I'm all good. I might got a little bit of the cyclo going on. You know you think so too. I don't know what you you really do? You think you might have it? I just I'm nervous. What you're you having like explosive? It's not explosive, but it's in the ballpark?
Speaker 1: What is it? A spark? Solid? Either? See, this could be the problem. I'm nervous. I text my wife this morning. I said, babe, this this is how, this is how it ends. Here's the deal.
Speaker 2: You're going to have to do the show from the bathroom if you get the cyclo, if you guess the thing.
Speaker 4: Any other time, I would say, that's cool. Let's run a really long cord. I won't put the way came in there. We can just have like a little picture of cam.
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 4: But there is a party at iHeart today?
Speaker 1: Yeah they what are they celebrating Christmas in July? Oh? Great? Perfect?
Speaker 2: And so are you worried about the bathroom being full of these people?
Speaker 4: Yes, you can't do a bathroom radio show when stuff like that's going on. Okay, I'm going to change it. Then I'm changing it. The title is going to be. I think we have the cyclose.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know what's going on here spreading around.
Speaker 2: We'll get into the latest on that in just a little bit here on the show, obviously. Right now, let's start by putting our ears at the ground, our fingers on the pulse. Let's see what's happening to this great, big, wide world of ours.
Speaker 1: And we're getting ready for the World.
Speaker 2: Cup finals, right, so some of you folks can party as hard as you possibly want to, and some of you folks can get done with people talking about soccer for the entirety.
Speaker 1: Of the year.
Speaker 2: Those are the two goals, right you want that kind of goal? How you want soccer to just go away? That's that's kind of where you're at right now. Let's see what's happening on Sky News as England loss. They lost to Argentina two to one in the World Cup semi final. The English fans were very angry. The Brits were not happy about losing, obviously, and Argentina is going to go on to play Spain in the World Cup finals, so that should be exciting. But the Brits were angry and and some of them were really drunk. The reporters were out there trying to cover this. Here's one of the interactions that went a little south. It's anything any.
Speaker 1: They have, don't Troy for them.
Speaker 2: Argentina, I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 5: Had a lot of alcohol today and spent an awful lot of their money.
Speaker 1: I like I should get said to that.
Speaker 2: There's been a lot of fans that have had a lot of alcohol today.
Speaker 1: Talk about the Falklands.
Speaker 2: He brought up the Falkland Islands, which, for those of you missed it yesterday, I briefly told people what's going on here. The Falkland Islands are a little chain of islands off the coast of Argentina, which is to the very south of South America. Long strip on the the east coast of South America, the long skinny part on the right right off the coast of that. Argentina has these little islands called the Falkland Islands, and Argentina says those are our islands, and England says those are our islands. And there's been a battle going on, so that's why he brought up the Falkland Islands. At the beginning, some of the Argentinian fans had signs out there that were like, we're taking back the Falkland Islands and it's it's a whole thing.
Speaker 1: It's a whole thing.
Speaker 2: Sounds like something you can't say, Yes, it does, but you're allowed to.
Speaker 6: Have Don croy for then Argent's true.
Speaker 3: A lot of alcohol.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of alcohol.
Speaker 2: Indeed, that's what she says the lady over on Sky News having to deal with the drunks after the World Cup game. I was going to open up with another clip for you guys, but I just I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'll play it here, I'll try to keep it around for a bit. But the Argentinian broadcast was literally so intense that I thought it would be too much for you guys to start the show.
Speaker 4: With, like the guy, that it would be too much, Like what would you mean, what's too much? I feel like the guy almost had a heart attack, and it's just it was so much that when you watch it, I go, I think it's too much. It's going to be an assault on the ear drums of you the listener today. I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about here, because this is why I had to switch to the other drunk guy clip at the beginning to start the show. This is the ur Argentinian World Cup broadcast what it is? And saw okay, so far he's just doing a play by play in another language, and he's really a tense about it.
Speaker 1: But you know, gets more nicking on, said, come messing, I heard messy. I did send me a messy messy again. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: This guy's gonna die, right, that's gonna be what I look like broadcasting from the toilet. Later they will have the score on the bottom cyclo sport one zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not doing so well. So there they go. The congratulations to the final teams, which is Argentina and Spain. They're now headed for the World Cup finals and the rest of you can get past all this World Cup stuff, right, So that's going on. The Other thing that's super interesting is we started the show yesterday with this clip of these Canadians driving a train through an inferno, and I mean an inferno because California is on fire, fire in every direction.
Speaker 1: Canada is on fire right now.
Speaker 2: California is probably on fire somewhere too, but Canada is on fire right and Canada whipped up by all these flames is causing this massive smoke plume today and through maybe the whole weekend, and the massive smoke plume is just covering it looks like apocalyptic in New York today, New Jersey, Pennsylvania. This smoke cloud from Canada is covering that area. Now here's the kicker. As far as I know, I'm not a big sports guy, but as far as I know it, the World Cup Finals are being held in New Jersey, and so it could well be that the situation with the World Cup Finals would be these two teams playing each other, Argentina on one side, Spain on the other side, everybody all riled up, and then the background will be the sky will be looking like the apocalypse is taking place. That would be ridiculous, yes, also very fascinating to watch. And I don't know what they would do about it, because all of that smoke has to be, without a shadow of a doubt, bad for the lungs of the athletes be performing. Right.
Speaker 4: It is a couple of years ago when I was flying up to New York to go with my wife and my mother.
Speaker 1: We were going to see Dave Matthews, benn and Queens.
Speaker 4: And at like that it was an old out door stadium where they used to have the US Open. I think it was like like they did big tennis matches there and that. Remember when we had all those videos of New York when it looked orange outside. Yeah, yeah, that was just clearing up and we were not sure if like we were going to fly into this and have to like I don't know. Ashley was pregnant at the time, so her mom was super worried and like telling her about it.
Speaker 2: Was doomsday looking. I remember that right, people were taking pictures and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, her mom was telling her to like get an N ninety five mask and bring it with us just in case, like COVID style, just because we didn't know how the air quality was gonna be. Unluckily, it cleared up and it didn't even really smell once we got there, but the couple days leading up to us going there, it was a big concern.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got to tell you, hold on, let me see if I can bring this up. Here's Yahoo News with a story about what's happening here. They say wildfire, smoke and bad air quality threatened sports, Yankees, Blue Jays, World CU Finals, Phillies, Mets, and more games to watch closely, and they're saying that like this, this is so bad, all of this smoke. Oh, there's some people already posting the photos of it. Over on chat. There's people posting photos of the sky is just dark with smoke. I mean, it looks like nighttime in some places, and it's only.
Speaker 1: Gonna get worse.
Speaker 2: So the World Cup Final could be playing out with this sort of in the back draw.
Speaker 4: The crazy thing is everything that you just mentioned, Yankees, Blue Jays, Phillies, Mets, everything you mentioned that's not the World Cup Final is easily able to be rescheduled. I mean Baseball, there's so many games, like how would they even notice one was missing? But the World Cup Final, people traveling in from all over the world, people paying huge money, huge monies for tickets, for hotel, rooms, for trains. I mean, that would be disastrous to have to try and call that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy, but possibly what we're gonna be looking at. So we'll keep an eye on the apocalypse World Cup watch while we look at our emails and get into everything else. Here on the News Junkie Today, Chris emails the show and he says, hello, you brought up an email about a girl sleeping at a wah wah. They aren't marketed as rest stops. A decent amount of wahwahs even went so far as to take out their tables and chairs and installed tables where you can stand, or didn't even replace them at all. The problem is at wahwah they just don't want people hanging out there all day. The woman who emailed said she was tired, but if she keeps it up, she's going to get trespassed from that store. She said she was struggling to find a job out there doing delivery, and she would nod off every once in a while. She wanted to be safe, so she would go sleep at the wahwah after getting gas. She was a customer, but that person saying she could get in even more trouble. The battle over daylight saving time, Todd emails and says the tips of the neewsjunki dot com.
Speaker 1: Our Congress is so dumb.
Speaker 2: I agree that changing the clocks twice a year is silliness and should be changed, but why would they pass a law to stay on daylight saving time when the rest of the world is on standard? Sir, I introduce you to the metric system.
Speaker 1: The rest of the.
Speaker 2: World uses it. The United States of America has.
Speaker 1: Said, no, no, no, too simple.
Speaker 2: So when everybody else gets the United States of America, they see signs that say miles per hour, and we measure things in things and inches and all sorts of other stuff, and they go, what what is this? So this is par for the course for the United States of America to go a different direction than everybody else time wise, and over the time the world observes some sort of daylight savings. Uh, he says, the rest of the world is on standard time. I don't know if it's true or not. I don't know enough about that. I'm gonna look at up. Okay, I guess the same reason we don't use the metric system, he said, Oh, you mentioned too. By staying on daylight saving time, the Eastern time zone will permanently match the Atlantic time zone, creating.
Speaker 1: One giant time zone instead of two.
Speaker 2: He says, enough of this, and finally, this person emails tips to the news Junkie dot com. Hello, Sean, I'm a listener to your podcast and a former police officer. I'm writing to share a personal experience that supports your point about how the media can misrepresent the actual facts of a story and the linked Orlando Sentinel article A doctor I arrested was found under the influence of alcohol with two hundred and fifty illegal pills. As a former licensed pharmacy technician, I knew the pills she possessed were completely legal, or if were completely illegal. However, the article says the felony charges were dropped to a poor investigation on my part. In reality, my investigation was solid. The charges were dropped by the state's attorney's office with my agreement, so that the states of Virginia, Florida and another state could pursue a larger case against this person for Medicare fraud. The media mischaracterized the situation, making me look like an incompetent police officer when the decision was actually a strategic legal move. I thought this was relevant as an example of the spin you discussed.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you for the email. Appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, all I'm saying is you won't realize how incompetent most of your media outlets are, especially like your local media outlets and your local newspaper, and stuff that you largely ignore.
Speaker 1: At this point in the timeline.
Speaker 2: But you won't realize just how bad they are until there's a story about you or something that you have a level of expertise in. So like, if they write about the radio industry, trust me, I read it like a fifth grader wrote the thing. I'm like, they have no idea what they're talking about. They don't understand this at all. If they write about something that you know about that you're an expert on, you go, you'll start shaking your head because these people don't know what they're doing, and that's what ends up being the problem.
Speaker 1: All right, So.
Speaker 2: We're gonna swap out the thumb now, I think we go for the cyclo. I think we go with Sea Lane. Sea Lane has cyclo and question Mark. Yeah, we'll go with that. Maybe they'll think we're dying over here. You can watch the show on YouTube YouTube dot com slash the News Junkier tw which TV Slash the News Junkie. When we come back, another one of these low flyovers happen and it's getting a bunch of attention and people are saying, like, we should.
Speaker 1: Investigate YadA, YadA YadA.
Speaker 2: This does seem kind of crazy to me, but legitimately, and I think it will to you. I'll tell you what actually happened here this time, I believe with the Blue Angels, and then I'll tell you what the response to it has been. It's pretty crazy if you haven't heard any of this, and it's coming up next on the news Junkie.
Speaker 1: I have to start this off with I need your help.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's the only way I could do this. I need your help because I know it's beautiful doing this show. When there's things that I'm not necessarily that well versed on that I don't have a good knowledge base on. I can say, like, hey, who else knows about this? And you can chime in and you can help out. Now, in the world of going to air shows and watching like, let's say, the Blue Angels do their thing, I've never really done this. I'm not really deep into that world at all save for the stuff that makes it into the headlines. So for somebody who is, I could really use your help right now, follow me on this journey, because I do think there's something kind of concerning happening here. But maybe I'm just ignorant to this, and if so, I want to be brought into the correct space here and into the world of reason. So there has been a bunch of these stories about the US military or the you know, the choppers, or the different flyovers that have happened in the last several months, and they fly over the beaches and stuff, and they get really, really really low, And I know that that's kind of something that they do, but I feel like they're getting even.
Speaker 1: Lower right now, and.
Speaker 2: Deal maybe maybe, and again I could be one hundred percent wrong. Like Dosfe says, they are cool. Maybe it's just cool. Maybe this is a normal thing. Maybe this is not anything that anybody out there in the real world is worried about. But they are literally when they're doing some of these flyers getting lower and lower and lower. And one of the examples was the US Navy's Blue Angels, their flight demonstration squadron, immensely talented pilots.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they were doing a.
Speaker 2: Flyover over Pensacola Beach, Florida on Wednesday morning, and they said during an aerial maneuver, an aircraft flew lower than standard profiles, resulting in a disturbance on the beach that affected civilian chairs and umbrellas.
Speaker 1: Right, standard profiles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like there's those certain level like a you know, there's a certain altitude that they're not supposed to go below. And here's the actual clip. For those of you are watching on YouTube, I'll describe it. For everybody else, it is suffice to say an incredibly low fly.
Speaker 1: Right right right there.
Speaker 2: The blowback is astonishing after this jet goes over And I am not kidding.
Speaker 1: Maybe a.
Speaker 4: See I would be worried about it. Yeah, getting fan blasted in my eye.
Speaker 2: The plane flows fly so close over the top of these folks. Somebody got a screenshot of the actual moment that the Blue Angels did this. Now the Blue Angels have said they're investigating the pilot who did this to me. I do not want to exaggerate. I feel like the Blue Angels plane in this photograph may be as low as like one hundred feet over the ground, maybe lower than that. Like I think it's really just unbelievably low. I'm not going to say somebody could have touched it, but it's hard to tell in a photograph if you're being deceived by the distance that something is away from you. But I think saying one hundred feet would be I may even be exaggerating how high the plane is. It's that low towards the ground. So when I saw this, I go, Okay, that seems bad. They probably shouldn't be doing this. I get it, this is what people come to the beach for. But is there a level where this becomes actually dangerous? Because then Pete Hegseth came online and started talking about he says the flyovers will continue until morale improves. And he's talking about these these flyovers where people have buzzed all of these folks.
Speaker 1: Until morale improved.
Speaker 2: Until morale every kind of threat is that you're going to celebrate the fourth of July on the fifth of July, the sixth, We'll keep going, We'll keep going. Hey, listen here, mister, We're gonna keep doing these flyovers. So you change your attitude, Okay. Tdgs as on TNJ Chad he was under one hundred and fifty feet. I mean like it was really low, Like it was incredibly low. Some people are saying fifty feet, thirty forty feet. The bottom line is I'm being conservative and saying, let's say this thing was one hundred feet over the beach. There's got to be a place where this does become a little bit dangerous.
Speaker 4: Dangerous, I mean that we were already kind of tiptoeing into that territory. Seeing that the flyover caused stuff on the ground to move, like people's tents. You start like whipping up everybody's tents and chairs. It's gonna start hitting people and hurting people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't want to and you're gonna have to deal with it until you were morale improves. I've not tried to Karen complain because look, I love this stuff.
Speaker 1: I love the blue Angels. I think it's super cool.
Speaker 2: But I have to say, like, is there some truth to maybe they're going a little bit hard on the hot dog and in showboating here is is this indeed a little bit too low? I mean, these people got buzzed, they're celebrating. They were they were celebrating until the wind kick back on them. So some of it has them going over the water, which okay, that I can make sense of. That, that's that's cool. Usually at an air show that's where they would stay. But when they're going over the beach and they're that low, it seems a little bit like maybe maybe we shouldn't be doing this, maybe we should kick it up.
Speaker 1: And so that's why I wanted to throw this out to you.
Speaker 2: If you folks are more familiar, maybe you've been to some of these air shows.
Speaker 1: Is this more normal?
Speaker 2: Is this just people complaining because anything that gets attached to like political stuff, now everybody complains about it. What is what is the actual situation that we're looking at here? Yeah, ABC News, If you look at ABC News, Blue Angels has another picture that was similar to the one you were showing just a second ago, where it's a still shot and the plane is kind of it's tilted to the side.
Speaker 3: This morning's stunning.
Speaker 2: This one here where it's like this the underside. Uh, that's not the one I was thinking of.
Speaker 1: That one. I mean just the same.
Speaker 2: I mean so low, like it's I know you guys can't see this, but it is incredibly low the plane is. If you okay, I will say this with confidence, with confidence, and I'm not trying to Uncle Rico this situation. If I was on the beach plane and I had a football and I had a laser fast throw, I feel like I could hit the Blue Angels plane with a football. Again, I'm not trying to concern trol here. I just I feel like it was that low and that maybe that that is too low for them to be flying these things. Like keep flying them, they're super cool, but maybe a little bit further away from the beach and maybe not buzzing over all the time, and maybe not thinking that this is totally cool every time we do this.
Speaker 1: I'd be curious if you did throw a football at a plane. You want to say it now? Is that on you? Or is that on the person flying the plane.
Speaker 2: I think it would be on the person flying the plane. They shouldn't be low enough so I could throw a football at them.
Speaker 1: That's now.
Speaker 4: I mean, like I het, people shoot lasers and planes all the time, and it's.
Speaker 1: A it's a huge.
Speaker 4: It's a huge presence of danger when they hit that when it hits that like window of the cockpit, and and it's really bad and people get arrested for it all the time. That's very bad. Shouldn't do it. That's on the people shooting the lasers.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't you be close enough that I throw a football at you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I don't want the headline radio hosts throws football DJ Yeah, Blue Angels pilot distracted crashes into beach full of patriotic onlookers like I don't want I don't want to be that person point blank. Mad On Twitch says it's super illegal to throw stuff at aircraft, even drones.
Speaker 1: Well, I know, I know that.
Speaker 2: I mean I think that, I think that this thing was literally that low, and that to me, I could see some room for concern there. I could be some I could see some room for people to go, hey, let's let's dial it back a little bit. Let's showcase our planes, let's showcase our talents. But then one little mistake, if you're doing something like this that's so cool in the moment, could lead to something really bad.
Speaker 1: And that's another thing I was just thinking of.
Speaker 4: It's like, hey, I know, you know, you don't like to talk about this, but they do make mistakes sometimes. Every once in a while, we have like a video, a bunch of videos come in because some air show had a tragedy happen and everybody got to see some explosion or big fire because two of the planes hit each other. Those are mistakes. Those are mistakes that happen. And if that mistake were during this flyover where there were one hundred and fifty feet one hundred feet above the people on the each uh huh, and they zigged when they should have zagged. That's a bad zig.
Speaker 2: That's it though. I mean, look here, here's an example. CNN has this headline from a month or two ago. The US Navy lost one hundred and thirty six million dollars worth of jets in an air show crash.
Speaker 1: Why risk it? Now?
Speaker 2: This is trying CNN's like trying to get them to get rid of the the air shows and bringing the cool planes out there and stuff. I said, why risk it? Don't go out here at all. I'm saying, isn't there a way we could do this? But maybe not do that really really really close buzz over top of the people at the beach, or maybe if you guys love this, like if everybody's going into it and they're like, that's what.
Speaker 4: We want on I'm telling you right now, the Pete Hegseth saying when morale improves, the morale of the people on that beach was probably high as hell.
Speaker 1: I mean just.
Speaker 4: Really, I mean, well, that's that is exciting to see.
Speaker 2: You know. It's like the people at day morning quarterbacking this they only had the time of their lives. Yeah, we know that one airport where the planes land so low, Yes, and the people line up by the fence, and when the planes land that there are engines like blow the people back. I don't know if going to an air show is like being there. So you expect that these sorts of things are going to happen, and this is just part of it. So that's why I want to hear from you. If you folks have been to a bunch of these, how would you feel about this? Let us know what you think. Send a dispatch over at the Newsjunki dot com or email the show which is tips tips at the Newsjunkie dot com. Just so you know where we're coming from. I'll put the actual video of the flyover. I'll put that up on see it now. So if you are familiar with going to these events, if you could tell me if this is crazy, if this is different than you normally see. So that'll get that conversation going. Have we gone too far with the flyovers? Or am I just being a little whiny baby. One of the people at the beach said, I've been coming for ten years. I've never seen a pass like that in my life. Literally thought we were going to be taken out by the Blue Angels.
Speaker 1: But it was amazing. But it was amazing.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, Yeah. So that's what I don't wanna. I don't want to sort of yum I don't know somewhere. I don't want to yuck the yum of the people who really are into that. So go take a look and let me know if I'm wrong about this. Send a dispatcher an email over at the Newsjunkie dot com right now.
Speaker 1: Quick break. When we come back, we'll get into that.
Speaker 2: We'll get into more of the smoke blanketing the East Coast and what's it going to look like for some of the big games coming up later on this week. We've got somebody chasing down a Heckler and that's just the beginning of things. And that is coming up next on the New Use Junkie.
Speaker 1: A guy got a d w I.
Speaker 2: Some states it's called the du there's different ways to say, but it's drinking and driving.
Speaker 1: We all know that a guy Sea Lane in.
Speaker 2: Texas and this guy, this guy in Texas, Sea Lane got a d w I and he was sentenced. And I know people that have gotten DUI s or been you know, busted drinking and driving in the first time, and they give you a little bit of a slap on the wrist and you pay some fines and some you know, it's it's an issue. The second time, they get a little more serious. This guy just got sentenced for a d w I and he got life in prison. This guy is going to be spending the rest of his life in prison.
Speaker 1: His twenty second d w I all right, that that matters.
Speaker 2: Right to me, that matters, But to some people, I guess it doesn't. Because I saw a lot of people freaking out and they go drinking and driving, and this man is going to spend the rest of his life behind bars.
Speaker 1: And I say, no recidivism.
Speaker 2: Continually he's committing the same crime over and over and over and over again. They're this guy is going to spend the rest of his.
Speaker 1: Life behind bar. There's no chance.
Speaker 4: I could see the number now, so I know, like, there's no chance this dude has a license. He's just he's driving intoxicated and illegally, Like even if he was sober, he shouldn't be behind the wheel.
Speaker 2: What do we think, folks, Do we think this is too much, because here's the story. Man convicted of his twelfth DWI, that's drinking and driving, busted twelve times.
Speaker 1: He says he was simple, he was free.
Speaker 2: He says he was simply unlucky before being sentenced, and when the sentence came down, they said, this guy for drinking and driving. As far as I know, he didn't hit anybody with his vehicle. Nobody was injured. There is some sort of like vehicular manslaughter twist of this. He got a DUI and he's being sentenced to life in prison, but the twist is that it's his twelfth dui.
Speaker 1: Is that fair?
Speaker 2: Is it like after some point time you just go do it again and you're getting life in prison. And then they do it and you go here, you go, see you later, pal, You're a danger.
Speaker 1: That's what prisons are for.
Speaker 2: There are some people who are a danger to the rest of us, so we can live our nice little lives while they rot away.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised that legally life in prison is an option for a DWI. And now I understand that they are trying to make this really harsh because it seems it seems that the narrative is like this man does not care what happens to him legally, he will continue to drive a car. I know he doesn't have a license. He will continue to drive a car anyway without a license, and he will continue to get drunk before he drives that car. And if he's had twelve dwi's, he has probably had multiple occasions where he hasn't been caught drunk driving.
Speaker 2: Yes, there are people though saying, like on YouTube saying that life in prison for a nonviolent crime is nuts.
Speaker 1: Is non kind of nuts.
Speaker 4: Though, because and that that's what I'm saying, Like, I'm surprised that, you know, when you so kind of look through the law books and go all right, here is you know, the news does this. They say, Hey, this person committed this crime. He's facing this many years in prison based on his charges. Right, they look up what the penalty is, what the maximum penalty is for all the chargers, and they add him up and they say, this person could face this time in jail or prison for what they've done. I'm surprised that there's a law somewhere that says, hey, for a DWI enough times, life in prison it's crazy.
Speaker 2: I'll give you the other details of his story in just second here, But where does this stop? Not that I disagree with it, because legitimately, legitimately I think that we need to increase punishments over time for people.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So like if you steal from the target one time and they let you go fine, the second time, they throw you in jail for a little while, the third time maybe a little longer. But if you steal from the tar get twelve times and they give you life in prison, I think people would go, whoa hold on?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So at some point the crime becomes enough that if you've done it twelve times, then people will be okay with spending the rest of your life in prison. I do not think people think if you get busted shoplifting twelve times.
Speaker 1: You should get life in prison.
Speaker 7: I know people would, But people will do it with this with DWI, They'll go, d WI bro got arrested twelve times, of course you're going to get life in prison eventually.
Speaker 2: That's what he got. Here's what happened to this guy. A Texas man will spend the rest of his life behind bars after being convicted of driving well intoxicated for the twelfth time. According to law enforcement Raymundo Ayala seventy four, was convicted by a jury in Randall County on one count of driving well intoxicated d WI, being a third or more offense. According to a press release, The jury later sentenced to defend it to life in prison. Driving well intoxicated continues to endanger our community sends a clear message those who repeatedly choose a drink and drive will be held accountable, said the district attorney. The underlying incident occurred on August ninth, twenty twenty five, when a state trooper observed the defendant committing multiple traffic violations. The trooper recognized signs of intoxication. He made them do the breathalyzer test, and the guy blew up point two one three, which is obviously very drunk.
Speaker 1: Point oh is the limit in a lot of states.
Speaker 2: He was well over two and a half times the legal limit in the state of Texas. They heard about at least two prior DWI convictions, which would make his offense a felony typical punished by two to ten years in state prison, but this time was different.
Speaker 4: When you get to twelve DUIs the likelihood that one cop has arrested you twice is so high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna be you again. Oh my god, you know here he goes. During the guilt phase of the trial, the jury quickly returned a guilty verdict, the District Attorney's office said. Then jurors were asked to listen in and weigh in on the punishment phase. This time around, the state's presentation focused on obtaining a sentencing enhancement by showing he had eleven prior DWY convictions, had been sentenced to prison on six such offenses, but continued to do this, so he was an habitual offender. Then they gave them the option the jury to sentence demand for this twelfth DWI anywhere from twenty five years to life in prison. During the punishment phase, they said why did you get so many dwys. And the man stepped up and he said, I was unlucky. That's why this happened to me. So they said, you think you're unlucky, bro, No you're not. Yeah, this is not lucky or unlucky. This is you making a choice to drink and drive and you made that choice so many times that you were arrested twelve times for DWI. And the jury came back and said life in prison for this for a nonviolent crime, which is interesting. Maybe people are turning the corner a little bit and they're tired of seeing criminals slapped on the wrist, and they're tired of seeing people commit the same offense over and over and over. I'm tired of seeing a tiny amount of people dragged down the quality of life for the rest of us. Like I said, that's what prisons are for. They're to keep us safe from the other people, the antisocial goons who get arrested for crimes over and over and over again, the people with no impulse control that get roped in and talk about no impulse control. You got your twelfth DWI. But is it is it fair or is this not fair? Because it's not a violent crime? Life in prison? Let us know what you think send a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie dot com.
Speaker 4: I think, do you think that you would look like such a bitch in prison if they were like, hey, what are you in for? And he's like, yeah, you know, twelve duus, like you serious? I murdered I murdered somebody, I killed somebody, I strangled them to death, and you drove drunk twelve times.
Speaker 1: I think about it.
Speaker 2: Somebody could have committed a horrific mass attack on this country. Does he get they would get the same punishment? Does he get put in the same place as all of the other violent lifers, Like that's a that's a decent thing to think about too, Like this guy who has not Were you just gonna say that's a good question to your own question, yes.
Speaker 1: Masbratory of me.
Speaker 2: Yes, I asked a question ago. That's a really good question. But also, do you do you think this is fair?
Speaker 4: Just I think the twenty five years would have been fair. But I mean it just seems like he what he said, he'd done six prison sentences before.
Speaker 1: It seems like he would learn, right, he was not gonna learn.
Speaker 4: He's gonna do the twenty five years and get out and have a couple of drinks and make it a Baker's Dozen't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I just think why did they Why twelve? Why why not ten or nine? And then when you when you do this, you would stop drinking and driving probably if you had, If you told everybody three strikes you're out on dwi's, you're going to go to jail for the rest of your life. I think that would probably change the way people behaved, save for some folks who we probably want behind bars to begin with. But I want to hear from you. Tips tips at the neewsyunky dot com. If you want to be anonymous, let us know. I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: I used to DJ.
Speaker 2: I've told a lot of stories about this. I was a DJ for a while. I worked with a blind man, very very nice guy, very talented guy, but he was blind and he couldn't do the DJ side of things. So I did the DJ side of things, and then I sort of pointed him in the right direction and he gave him the microphone and he did the microphone stuff. Because strangely, at that time, they were like, sean, you're not qualified to talk into a microphone. Push the buttons. Push the button. Still hear when some people say that, So look at me, now, I have a microphone. So I would work with this guy and we would, you know, we would go out to all these different venues and we would DJ and stuff. And there was a lot of other people who worked for these DJ companies in the area. And I learned of another D in the area working for the blind DJ, and I was told about this guy and The story that I got was that this guy's a drinker, a real bad drinker, and he has so many DUIs that he has lost his license forever. And he's a DJ, so he has to get somebody, another adult, to drive him to his gigs and drop him off and with his trailer and DJ equipment, and then they have to pick him up afterwards. And he moved to the state of Texas, strangely enough so that he could get a driver's license, because in Florida, where he was at the time, you could only get so many duys and you could never get a driver's license again. But he was allowed to get a driver's license in Texas, so he went there.
Speaker 1: And now I hear.
Speaker 2: Texas is taking somebody like this and going, hey, twelve strikes, you're out. Here is a lot of emails coming in on this bury emails tips of.
Speaker 1: The news Junkie dot Com.
Speaker 2: When I was sixteen, I was the front passenger of a car that was struck head on by a drunk driver at seventy.
Speaker 1: Miles per hour. Damn.
Speaker 2: I was unconscious for days, and at fifty six years old, injuries and memories from that accident still affect me daily. The driver that hit us ran into a local bar and immediately started drowning downing drinks, so they couldn't prove he was drunk when he hit heart about that one before, despite his own passenger testimony that he was wasted, and he himself answered Budweiser when asked what medication he was on. It was obviously not his first time, and he got away with it. Nothing was done to him. More people should be locked up for extended periods of times for this, and maybe it will stop. Life is fine with me. Let us know what you think. Tips at the Newsjunkie dot com. All right, a couple things very quickly, very very quickly. I want to say thank you. I'm trying to get a bit of a marathon going today. It's a Thursday. We do Secret Shows on Thursday at eight o'clock. We are approaching the record number of subscribers that we've ever had for Secret Shows. After a lot of years of not focusing on this great product, now there's an effort to gain independence from the suits by talking to you, the audience more and getting you to support some of the other things we're doing and unlocking more access for you with subscriptions from the Neewsjunkie dot com, and I said, let's get something going today. Let's let's break this record. Every single one of you can help with just one or two. DJ Rage twelve twelve gifted subscriptions and followed by our friends Sunstage John who is in a damned doctor's office thirteen gifted subscriptions.
Speaker 1: And followed by Tom Tom with ten gift on subscriptions. All right, we're moving, baby, We're moving. Let's get those numbers up.
Speaker 2: We are going to possibly hit a record today. One, two, five, Just subscribe for yourself. All of those matter, no matter what. I want you to be with us at eight pm Eastern tonight as we do another uncensored secret show and subscriptions even gifted ones.
Speaker 1: Unlock that for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll get to your feedback on the DWY Life arrest in a bit. We've got a bunch of other things to try to work in here on the show. I've got a story about crime that I want to get into. It's even crazier than this, but I want to tell you about this. The stomach disease making the rounds. We might even have it over here for God's sake, So I'll give you the latest and everything you need to know to protect yourself that is coming up next.
Speaker 1: In the News Junkie, we were.
Speaker 2: Talking about how low those blue Angels were flying in some of these videos, and there was a lot of people who had things to say about this, and somebody says, Ed says the tips of the Newsjunkie dot com. I don't know who goes to air shows and I don't want. I don't know who goes air shows and doesn't want the low flyovers. I'm telling you right now, I've been to air shows over the beach and it was an amazing experience to feel the power of those jets. If people are complaining, they need to remember they do that for the people to have the experience of a lifetime.
Speaker 1: Says this particular person.
Speaker 4: You look like you just got a low flyover right now. The jets were pushing down on.
Speaker 1: You and everything.
Speaker 2: The doors opening around here is whenever the camera shakes, it just means that one of the doors are closely around here has shut somewhere. But somebody says, I thought this was AI until your story today, and they send over a link to another flyover.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's it. That's the one we talked about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of these could be a I don't know, it's like a compilation of flyover videos. I just had no idea they would get as low as they do in some of these videos, including the one that has an investigation going on right now related to it, that was on a beach in Florida, Pensacola.
Speaker 1: I think it was.
Speaker 2: I think it was a petacle of beach that they said that this had happened at. So there's some feedback on that. There's some more coming in as well that we'll get to. But it does, it does if you're not there for the air show. It does have some kind of annoying side effects to it, mostly the noise. Yeah, because I'll never forget when I forget who was the client that I was meeting with. I had like a zoom meeting and they were down south, and forget that part of it. Huh.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget the story. But he doesn't know who he was with. I think I know who it was. But they're not a client anymore, so okay, good, they can crap all over now. They're fine.
Speaker 4: But I met with their their agency and it was a Zoom meeting and they were like, sorry, man, it's really loud here because the air show is practicing, like not even doing the air show, they're just doing the rehearsals for it. And this guy's trying to tell me about their business, like you know, home improvement or something like that, and all here.
Speaker 2: People love them, though, man, I feel like it's a big crossover crowd with NASCAR or something. Somebody says those air shows are a waste of tax money and just adds to noise and air pollution. Total waste is alien on TNJ Chad. I think people do love them. There's a category of people who really really enjoy that kind of event. I've not been to one, so I was simply bringing it up because I was wondering some of these flyovers that are now being investigated. They do seem crazy, dangerously low to me. But if that's sort of the draw to the whole thing, then that would be like watching a UFC fight where there was a little bit too much blood and going these.
Speaker 1: Guys are hurting each other.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what the case is, but that's what some of the feedback is so far.
Speaker 1: Now, somebody else says medium take.
Speaker 2: But I think the cyclo stuff is completely overblown in hype. The cyclo sporiasis cyclospora cyclospora isrobably the easiest way to say, it is a legit thing, just so you know, it spreads around basically every year. But the outbreak from this year, I think has already surpassed what the total was for last year. So the parasitic stomach illness is not new. It's not a special thing. Cyclospora is something that is, you know, it happens each year, an outbreak of this to a certain extent, and it happens through produce that you get from food that you're eating from a restaurant, from a grocery store, could be any any place. A lot of times it's lettuce or something like that. That's the culprit, and you have to be careful or wash your veggies and your produce really really carefully.
Speaker 1: But it is real. It's definitely real.
Speaker 2: And I saw there's now over sixty cases in Florida. Let me see if I could bring up they had the whole map that was showing just how bad this was getting. Because the outbreak has spread quite a bit from Michigan, where it was at first, and the here's the story cyclospora outbreak. In this case, it says hits Florida with more than one hundred cases, and the county by county breakdown shows it's basically in all the counties.
Speaker 1: My theory on cyclospora is sure the.
Speaker 2: Media is very Orange. No, why what do you mean Orange County? Yes, it does.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 2: My theory on this is not that it doesn't exist. I do think it exists. It's not that the media isn't hyping it, because I'm sure the media will hype it.
Speaker 1: There's it's kind of a.
Speaker 2: Load of boring news cycle right now, so they're looking for any story they can to ramp things up. And I also think the numbers are incredibly unreported, or the reporting of the numbers is is.
Speaker 1: Deflated much more than it should be.
Speaker 2: And my theory on that is because this is kind of an embarrassing thing to have Sea Lane things.
Speaker 1: He might have it right now. I said, oh, I don't feel that.
Speaker 2: Great this morning, and even saying that out loud, like oh, we might have cyclospora. Even saying it out loud is like people are gonna be like, you have explosive diarrhea.
Speaker 4: I'm also worried that my body's just gonna manifest it like this is something completely unrelated and just indicative of my normal lifestyle, that I would get this every once in a while, But now that it's happening during this cyclospora scare that I'm going to get so worried about it that this is just going to churn down there and I might not even have cyclospora at all, but my body is just like.
Speaker 2: Make it so you're manifesting it, and in so many ways cyclospora I'm clicking this here on a kind of makes you fill in so many things.
Speaker 1: It's so annoying.
Speaker 2: So it's in basically every county in the state of Florida, it's in a lot of the Midwest. There's at least seven thousand confirm cases of this. But I again think it's worse since I think so many people don't necessarily want to go to the doctors or admit that they have this.
Speaker 1: Here's what Good Morning America was saying this Good Morning, Robin.
Speaker 9: Hospitals across the country are treating an inflap patients with that severe stomach blog the intestinal illness called cyclist biasis that causes fatigue, fever, and an explosive upset. Stomach is now on the rise top of the exploiser states, with the CDC reporting nearly seven thousand confirmed or probable cases. The epicenter is in Michigan, where doctors tell us they typically see less than fifty cases per year. Now it's up to six hundred per day. Health officials there say the outbreak could be tied to lettuce or salad greens, but nationwide, federal officials still have not identified a cause, and right now there are vacancies at the top of the FDA, CDC, and Surgeon General's office.
Speaker 2: They're trying to hype it up that it's like, this is why it's spreading so quickly. It's spreading so quickly because people don't wash their produce a lot.
Speaker 1: That's one problem.
Speaker 2: And if you go to restaurants and stuff, if a restaurant gets slammed, if they get super busy, they're less likely to do a thorough rinsing of the produce in many cases, And every time, like Courty and I have gotten an issue with eating at a restaurant, it was always a busy restaurant. It was always a busy restaurant and you eat something with lettuce in it, you go. They were too busy and they didn't clean things up, and now here people got the stomach bug, in this case cyclospora. But keep up, keep yourself aware of this, make sure you're washing your vegetables and all that good stuff. Let us know if it's hit you and you want to admit it. Tips at the news Junkie dot com.
Speaker 1: T I p. S at the news Junkie dot com real quick before before you close that tab. Yeah, screen.
Speaker 2: Going on?
Speaker 1: Uh right here? You mean like a herb, like a herpie.
Speaker 4: I couldn't tell if it was like glare off of the lights or something.
Speaker 2: It was the very beginning. I mean maybe she has cyclospora. No, I think it's just a little blurry. Yeah. Yeah, it's just like a defect in these these low, bad bad place.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So all right, here there's the story that I was leading in with, and then I have a rant for the Ages about Calchi and some of these prediction markets. At a second, trust me, come along with me on this one. Your head is going to explode when you hear some of the things I'm about to say. But first I wanted to get this out there and see if anybody had any feedback on this. There was a story about this lady in Texas and she said, it's time to go on a vacation.
Speaker 1: Let's head over to California.
Speaker 2: So she goes to California and she's doing like a brewery tour, because sometimes people will do this, they'll go to these different places and drink and enjoy yourself.
Speaker 1: She says, her name's Destiny.
Speaker 2: And as she's sitting at this brewery in California, she goes, does.
Speaker 1: This happen here?
Speaker 2: I've never heard of this before, And there were officers who came in to the brewery.
Speaker 1: The cops came into the brewery.
Speaker 2: And the cops started going around the brewery and breathalyzing all the people who are I'm sorry what who were drinking? And I thought, I have never heard of this happening before.
Speaker 1: A minent a thest.
Speaker 4: People volunteering to be breathalyzed because that sounds like a little bit of Fourth Amendment violation, that's.
Speaker 1: What they said.
Speaker 2: They said, this is a routine thing that the police do where they go to these places and then they go hey, they offer up breathalyzers. So it's part of like some training for the officers. But who would do that. I wouldn't do that to begin with. I don't want to be part of whatever weird thing you're working on to train other police officers to bust people at breweries. They walked in the cops dated this brewery and they started doing breathalyzer tests on the different people there. And I guess they said this was more common in California, but they do this in other states as sort of a training thing, and they test you and then tell you what your breath uh alcohol level is.
Speaker 4: But the training thing seems like something they should be doing like on their own you know, at their own facility, on their own time, scheduled with people that they've either asked to or compensated to be there or something. Would they just show up at a place? I mean, I guess if you're at a bar and then and they they weren't it just right?
Speaker 1: Like, hey, you want to.
Speaker 2: See how drunk you are, come over and try to try to baze it before I got one.
Speaker 1: We're not doing anything crazy here, nobody's getting arrested.
Speaker 2: I understand that they have to teach officers stuff like this, but it just seems weird to load into a brewery and go, hey, everybody, we're we're doing breathalyzer tests.
Speaker 4: Right now, you've been to a bar that has a novelty breathalyzer machine that you can pay to use before, right right, yeah, And then like they like they dispense a little straw that's that's like wrapped up and stuff, and you stick the straw and then you blow into it and it's supposed to I mean, I don't know how accurate those things are because they're just, you know, for entertainment purposes. I don't know if people are sitting there going like, oh point zero seven, all right, I'm good to see you guys later.
Speaker 2: My I don't know if I'd hang my hat on that in terms of no DUI, especially now that we know a dozen of those d uys will put you in jail for life and at least in the state of Texas.
Speaker 4: That also, I mean, I wonder My roommates and I had a breathalyzer that we bought one time, like on Amazon, We're like, we've got a It was a couple hundred dollars bathlizer, and it came with a bunch of little plastic tips that it's got like a nice one. Then yeah, yeah, yeah, we were pretty drunk when we bought it. So that's how they make their money. Kind of makes sense, that's how it works. But in the you know, in the the terms or in the manual and stuff, it says like, hey, you have to wait fifteen to twenty minutes between your last drink and doing this breathalyzer. Because if you were just to like take a shot and then blow straight into the breathalyzer, whoa world record numbers right there? Like like the breathalyzer would be like that weatherman that said, like everyone in Madison is dead, you know the breath right, Yeah, that would that would spike your numbers, and so you have to wait a while. So it would also be kind of weird to be the cops and go to these breweries and go, hey, you guys want to try out a breathalyzer. You just got to sit here for fifteen minutes, yeah, and sit down, relax.
Speaker 2: And we assuredly, and this is one of my problems with the testing that they were doing in California, we assuredly will not be across the street just waiting for you to leave now that we know which ones of you have had a little too much over the legal limit, right, there's there's no shot that they don't do that and then end up pulling people over and whatnot. So let us know what you think. Send a dispatch on that when.
Speaker 1: We come back. I have to vent.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go on a little bit of a rant here because the prediction markets have been exploding. People spend billions of dollars on them. It is a new way to bet, to gamble away a lot of money. And the stories of people either a cheating at these these prediction markets have been piling up. I just heard one of the most unbelievable stories about somebody cheating in one of these prediction markets and making a whole bunch of money. But it's something else that they've decided to allow betting on that really has me fuming.
Speaker 10: Here.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: It's coming up next on the news Junkie. I am somebody who believes in freedom. I think it's one of the most important parts about America. I look at the other countries and when I say that, I think America is superior. One of the things is because we still have the freedom to do a lot of things. They don't have these freedoms. They don't have freedom of speech, and in places like Canada or England, they don't have a lot of the freedoms that we take for granted.
Speaker 1: Every day in the United States of America.
Speaker 2: So freedom to me is really super important and it should be to everybody as well. The other thing, though, that is core to my belief system is fairness. I think things should be fair for everybody. I think that poor person growing up in a holler in South Carolina should have a fair enough shot at achieving success as anybody whose parents went to Harvard and had fancy jobs their whole lives, or somebody who's like the son of the President of the United States. I think fairness is an important thing, and I think we should strive for those two things to be as good as possible. That somehow brings me to gambling, then all explain, because we have these prediction markets out there, and I want people to have the freedom to go and bet on really weird things like bet on football games that makes some fun to watch, bet on UFC fights that's kind of cool. Your World Cup game that you don't really want to watch, to begin with, has made more exciting of you put a couple of dollars on it. I want you to do that, but I do want things to be fair. And people forever have complained that the sports betting isn't fair, but this other stuff was definitely not fair. Here's the example story I was talking about. There was somebody who was making big money on Calshie, one of the prediction markets where you can bet on stuff, and they were betting on President Trump's speeches. They were putting a bunch of money on these speeches that Trump was giving. And Calshie started to look into this person because they made more than one hundred thousand dollars off of these bets.
Speaker 1: That they have placed.
Speaker 2: And ABC News, which you just heard there kicking off in the background, ABC News has reported that White House teleprompter operator Gabriel Perez was the person who made more than one hundred thousand dollar betting on Trump's speeches. So the guy who was betting on these speeches on this prediction market that maybe somebody else was betting against, was the person who was Trump's longstanding teleprompter operator, which he knew what was about to be in the speech. So if they're betting, Hey, will Trump mentioned Iran? Will Trump talk about oil prices? Will Trump mentioned this or that? Guess who's gonna know. The teleprompter guy, he would know because he would have the information and the teleprompter. And he might say, well, Trump, that goes off teleprompter and offscript all the time. True, but he's almost guaranteed to at least get through the prepared remarks before he goes and riffs on other things. So if the prepared remarks had something, it would be a slam dunk for this guy. And he was betting a bunch of money on it. And I say that that's not fair. Just quite obviously it's not fair. This is when President Donald Trump approached the podium to deliver a State of the Union address in February, one of the few people who knew what he was about to say was allegedly setting himself up to profit from the president's words. Trump's longtime teleprompter operator is believed to have made tens of thousands of dollars by placing bets on that speech and more than a dozen others in the prediction market. Caushie Federal investigators with the Community Futures Trading Commission found Gabriel Perez, a technical assistant to the president who's been operating Trump's teleprompter since twenty sixteen, is in talks with federal regulators to settle allegations he used his inside knowledge of the president's speeches to win more than one hundred thousand dollars. So while you're out there betting on this weird stuff, there's people who literally have the answers to the questions who are betting and making a bunch of money off of it. One of the other things I heard about this was that I think one of the people involved in the raid to grab Maduro, the leader of Venezuela and the darknt Knight, yanked him out of his house and pulled him into prison. Warry now sits in the United States of America. One of the people that made a bet on that was part of the armed forces operations to go and remove Maduro. And they're like, hey, I've got the information, I might as well go with it. And you might say, well, Sean, I mean, this happens with stocks, it happens with insider trading with stocks, It's happened with sports forever and now it's just happening in the prediction world where people have information and they can make money off of it.
Speaker 1: You're right, you're right, But I ask you is that fair?
Speaker 2: Because these people, I think are just flat out cheating in these worlds. The regulation for this needs to be kicked up a notch in my opinion. I think we need to make sure it's fair and as safe as possible. If you are somebody who wants to bet your money on this stuff, but I shouldn't being regulated if they caught this guy. Calshi was the one who started to notice and investigate this. On their end, they were like, wh wha, wha, who whoa Why is somebody coming out six figures ahead on the Trump bets on what will be in his speech? Do they happen to know? And then they found out that they do. And this this is happening time and time again. But there's other things too. Sela like this story says that a bunch of the platforms, including Calshi, which I mentioned previously, the prediction market, they're now about to allow people to bet on airport delays, So whether or not a flight will be delayed, you can bet on that. And I said, oh, great, even better. How does that not end up with? You know, you're trying to get to your grandmother's funeral in Sheboygan and there's some absolute deranged lunatic who is betting his rent money on whether or not your Southwest Airlines flight is going to be delayed and then maybe even calling in a bomb threat to ensure he gets his payout, right, like, how could this possibly go wrong? This is what we're seeing. We're seeing cheating. We're seeing stuff where it's like, uh oh that that could be messed with. And in case you think you're going to go that, they're not going to screw with this stuff, Sean. They were betting in the UK on temperature readings, Yeah, in different cities what the temperature would get to, what the high temperature would be for the day. And there was a guy who is betting money and he found out that the temperature mechanism that they were using was by the airport and like Gatwick or something, and he climbed over the fence and he had a heating device that he put up to the temperature measurement like a blow dryer, right, like a blow dryer type thing, and he drove the temperature up to the number that he bet on and rigged the whole thing. I mean, just be careful with your money. I mean the market that this teleprompter operator was betting in this mentions column is kind of crazy because it's like, will somebody say this yes or no? And there's like, right now, there are when did it say? Thirteen nineteen different markets, so things you can bet on. They call them markets on. What will the announcers say during the Mets Phillies professional baseball game? Now, not a one of these says smoke, which would be a pretty good one to bet on right now.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they say, what are the options?
Speaker 4: Ninety seven percent chance on Citizens Bank Park, like they'll name the park. Okay, that's a pretty easy one. Trade or traded, pinch hitter or pinch hit, bunt or bunted, error, sweep or swept, MVP, bases, loaded, rob or robbed, walk off, wild pitch, shut out, pitch clock grand slam Otani is only a twenty six percent extra inning no hitter or what a catch And the only.
Speaker 2: People in that case that know whether that's going to be said or not would very likely be just the broadcasters, right, they know whether or not they're going to say this, or they have the ones you have control over saying this. But if I'm the broadcast, or can I just go.
Speaker 1: Hey, selight, I'm gonna say Otani.
Speaker 2: So put, like, put some money on Otani so you and your family can win some money. I go, yes on Otani, fifty thousand dollars on Otani, and then during the game, I'll go, oh, Tonie, and then everybody else thinks there's something fair going on.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 2: Simply Jeremy on YouTube says, that's actually pretty smart. Well, it's not that it's not smart. It is absolutely smart. I'm not suggesting it's not smart. What I think it is is unfair. It's one thousand percent unfair, And we have to say do we just embrace that and say the people who gamble on this stuff deserve for it to be unfair. How do we say that it should be fair? I wonder how.
Speaker 4: Much you can do without violating the law on something like this. So say I put fifty thousand dollars that says they will say it Otani during your broadcast. If they say it, I stay to win one hundred and seventy thousand dollars. If they just say the word otani. They say the word Otani, and I put down fifty grand I will more than triple my money. But I need a little insurance. Yeah, So I buy a ticket to the game and then I just write I just have a sign that says Otani or something.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm very not.
Speaker 4: Just remember the guy that was watching the World Cup while he was at the baseball game and screaming goal every time they.
Speaker 1: Got a goal.
Speaker 2: If I just if I just sat there and I got a seat close to the broadcasters booth, and I was like, oh, Tony, Tony, some guy down there seems to be screaming O tani.
Speaker 1: Bit seventy thousand.
Speaker 2: Yes. How is this not going to have an impact on all of our lives in some ways? Is that people will rig the system anytime you give them the opportunity, they will rig the system. They're going to rig the temperature voting. They're going to rig the airports and the delays on the planes. They're going to rig every every single thing that they possibly can, the teleprompter, bets, all of those things. And they're going to continue doing that for I think a very long time. But you let us know what you think, send a dispatch over on the website at thenewschunkie dot com right now.
Speaker 1: All right, let's see here.
Speaker 2: We got a couple of people with dispatches and we haven't played one yet.
Speaker 1: Here's Lil's sister with a dispatch. Go ahead, Hello.
Speaker 8: So I was a bartender about twenty five years ago. When my shift and the other bartender shift ended, we went to another bar and with a couple of our customers and the manager.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there was one of.
Speaker 8: Those blow tests for alcohol, and we all went ahead and did it, and the other bartender was higher than the customers we were serving the entire night. So that was crazy because he looked perfectly normal.
Speaker 1: That happens more than you think.
Speaker 8: Anyhow, don't do the blow test.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something, a little sister. That's a weird sentence for me to say. Let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: There is absolutely a solid chance at most bars that if you did an impromptu test on the bartenders, they would not be blowing as zero point zero. I've seen that man, he may minillion times in my lifeticipated.
Speaker 1: They want to.
Speaker 2: Bet on how many stories I say each day that involve airplanes. They want to bet on who's going to bring the last minute message on Friday.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's always a lot of talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like there's a lot of stuff that you can do that you do to impact this, Kurt says on JCS yesterday the Jim Colbert Show, they reported that there was a guy who yelled at a golf golfer putting so that he didn't lose a forty million dollar bet. I mean this, I don't know if that's true, orenough, but that's that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Like you put money on something and then and you try to change the outcome, or you put money on things when you're cheating and you have an unfair advantage.
Speaker 1: That's just kind of inevitable.
Speaker 2: I think, I really think it is because of the money involved in these stories. But give us your thoughts over at thenewsjunkie dot com right now. When we come back, we will get to of course, the hot sheet. I've got a great pick aside. I got a bomb pick aside for you that somebody tagged me in yesterday.
Speaker 1: Let me move that down the front of the line.
Speaker 2: I don't have a bomb, like I have an explosive device but I have a top notch, very very good pick aside that's coming up at the top of the hours. Don't miss that. The hot sheet coming up next on the News Junkie. Fritz in the Street is the next segment. It's happening after the hot sheet. You are going to get your final opportunity to be able to join us and play Fritz on the Street in place of that mortgage guy don because he will be back next week. He has a sweet vacation going on right now. He'll tell us all about what's happening, but he needs somebody to stand in from. We had somebody last week and it was awesome, all right, it was fun. We got to hang out with this guy and he showed us the hotel that he worked out and stuff.
Speaker 1: And now it's your turn.
Speaker 2: And this is probably once in a lifetime opportunity because we don't usually have that many opportunities to do this, so this might be it. If you want to play Fritz on the Street, you gotta be able to do zoom and I need you to email me tips at the news Junki dot com, tips at the news junky dot com. If you're gonna do this, I need somebody's gonna be watching their email because as Sea Lane's doing his segment, I'm gonna send you a zoom link. You launch it, and then you're gonna be playing Fritz on the Street with us in a matter of minutes. Right now, let's do the hot sheets sheet.
Speaker 1: It's in new but not like real important news. That's again to be parting on the planet.
Speaker 2: The top stories from the people on your screens and speakers are on a hotsheet with Sea Lane. That's right, The top five stories of the nonsense news that have brought to you by that mortgage guy down and we start with one. You know, a lot of times when you see stuff like go super viral, it happens like overnight, right like a video, something stupid happening, something fun happens overnight. It happens very quickly. Sometimes not so much. Because this thing that's going around the internet right now that I saw today is hilarious, but it happened back in twenty twelve, and the reason we're only finding out about it this year is because it happened in Iceland, and so Americans, white people in general, they if they can't understand what they're.
Speaker 1: Reading, they flip to the next thing.
Speaker 4: You know, you flip to the next thing if something's in Icelandic however, and I sent you this Instagram link, so to pull it up real quick.
Speaker 1: All right, hang on, let me see.
Speaker 4: So this Icelandic TV channel STU two was airing an episode of the Teletubbies. And I don't know how this gets crossed, right, I don't know how things like this happen. Is this real air the Teletubbies and the subtitles were from an episode of the Sopranos. Now that's hilarious and probably made some moves in Iceland, but nobody thought to translate them and send them to America until I don't know, fourteen years later. So now somebody has done the translation and edited in the American subtitles of this Teletubbies episode with Sopranos subtitles. You're nothing but a failure of a man, says the one. The first one has one of the Teletubbies looking at the other and says, I know you were high at my mother in law's funeral. Just hilarious. At the time of viewer photographed the screen posted the images on Facebook, where the mistake became a local viral story in Iceland, but just Iceland because nobody did the translation, and so I don't know how a mix up like that happens. But I did find that very funny when I scrolled past it this morning. I meant to do this story yesterday because we started with that video of the Canadians on the train with the flames all around him. Yeah, and you could definitely tell, like from their accents, right, they were Canadian and sound, they had that Canadian sound to them. But there was a survey done by the Writers Guild of Canada and they said, we don't really love the funny accents that were portrayed as the Canadians are saying this uh huh. Seventy one percent of those surveys said Canucks on TV speak with a funny accent and overuse the word a and pronouncing about as a boot and that's what they do.
Speaker 2: That's it's not all of Canada this speaks like that, but there's some parts of Canada where they definitely do that.
Speaker 4: Respondents also took issue with characters that were overly dull and apologetic. That sixty two point three percent sixty point eight.
Speaker 2: Percent of respondents were took issue with the fact that they portray Canadians as hockey obsessed and.
Speaker 1: Only living in rural areas of the north. That was forty three point seven. This is literally what you do, is it?
Speaker 8: Though?
Speaker 1: Yes, what do you think they do with Americans?
Speaker 2: The Americans are usually loud, fat, cowboy whatever, beer drinking and the same thing.
Speaker 4: The hilarious part to me that made this article seem slightly out of touch or just behind the times is that the president of the Writers Guild of Canada, Bruce Smith, sites as an example of this kind of activity.
Speaker 1: That they don't like.
Speaker 4: Robin Sparkles, the Canadian pop star alter ego of Robin Scherbotsky on the CBS comedy How I Met Your Mother, which has been over for years, as played by the Vancouver born Kobe Smolders. She sang about going to them and building sand castles in the sand and they were like, yeah, that's one of the that's one of the examples. Robin Sparkle's is is not an accurate representation of cana Those.
Speaker 1: You don't know.
Speaker 2: It was one of the characters Colby's Smolders or whatever her name is, Kobe. She was a pop star and it was like they wanted to unearth the music video that she appeared in.
Speaker 4: And they found her secret life as a Canadian pop star before she moved to America. An iconic piece of memorabilia has gone for huge amounts of dollars, smashing predictions and selling for a record setting sum. It is, of course, a piece of memorabilia from Star Wars. Heritage Auctions confirmed late Wednesday that Mark Hamil's aka Luke Skywalker original screen used lightsaber has been sold at auction. It was the one he wielded during the climactic face off with Darth Vader in nineteen eighty Star Wars episode five, The Empire strikes back until the Sith Lord cut off his hand and delivered the infamous eye I'm your father line. How much do you think that screen used lightsaber went for at auction? I'd have to say a lot.
Speaker 2: But I would also suggest that I've heard this so many times, like I've heard screen used lightsaber. I don't know how many they have. It seems like there's a lot of them. But I still want to say, well, there's.
Speaker 4: A lot of people that wheeled lightsabers and Star Wars that would be used on screen, but the one that was the key one. This is the one, this is the scene. This is the only quote that people know from Star Wars, some of them.
Speaker 1: Five hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: It was originally offered for one million dollars, oh my god, and expected to fetch in that range up to two million dollars. However, a new world record, a new world auction record for the screen new Star Wars prop was reached at three point seven five million dollars just for a lightsaber that doesn't even cut through things. But congratulations to whoever has that in their collection. Now, I'm sure it is a good one.
Speaker 2: This guy over here, there's a a bunch of talk about him wanting a pardon from President Trump. Now Mark Kelly, R Kelly, people are really fishing for these pardons. Huh yeah, they're like, hey, you know, you might as well shoot your shot.
Speaker 1: I guess R.
Speaker 4: Kelly has a lot of free time in prison. And now there's a group of his lawyers that are kind of fighting over this that they're calling it a splinter.
Speaker 1: Group, which sounds a lot cooler than it is.
Speaker 4: That says they're officially charged, excuse me, in charge of the imprisoned Singer's bid for clemency, but Kelly's attorney of record tells TMZ the claims are totally unsubstantiated. The infight between the Kelly factions kicked off Tuesday after Kelly filed a petition to commute his thirty year sentence for sexual misconduct convictions. In one corner, you have Kelly's Chicago based attorney of record bo Brindley. Bo is such an attorney name, yeah, b e Au. And then the other you have Atlanta based attorney Leah Schmidt. Schmid tells TMZ, I have formally submitted a passionate clemency petition graciously asking President Trump for mercy on mister Kelly's behalf.
Speaker 1: That's what I think. Good luck.
Speaker 4: And right now we are going to the box office and there's not a whole lot coming out. There is a movie called cut Off, a comedy driver with Kristin Wig, Jonah Hill, Nathan Lane, and Chelsea Peretti. That roster alone, I think for me worth checking out. But the big thing at the box office this week is obviously The Odissey The Odyssey with Elliott Page, Ann Hathaway, Zendia and Tom Holland, who as we learned earlier this week thought that his performances were just really bad and that's why the director kept cutting. But it was the fact that the Imax film only does like three minutes at a time. Yeah, and now Christopher Nolan has officially scored his highest Rotten Tomatoes score of all time for The Odyssey. It opens in theaters this weekend. Reviews are pouring in like Greek soldiers out of a big wooden horse is exactly what it says here, and it says I think he said ninety eight percent. He's looking at on the reviewer score for The Odyssey. So if you got three ish hours to kill, I believe this weekend The Odyssey might be a fun watch for you. And if you have a mortgage rate with a seven or eight in front of it, you are probably paying too much money. You are definitely paying too much money, and it's time to look to that mortgage guy Don for a refile.
Speaker 1: He wants to help you.
Speaker 4: He is a member of the real radio family and he wants to help you save that money, and he does it very well. So you would do yourself a service to bring that quote over to that mortgage guy Don by going to that mortgage guy Don dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you, by the way, I picked Jeremy and Jeremy. I sent you a zoomlink. Jeremy aka Dover in your email, I sent you a zoom link. Now it's on you, buddy. We'll see if he joins the zoomlink. He said, I'm at a castle I could do. It's on the street, Falian Castle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what he said.
Speaker 2: So maybe Jeremy from a Castle will be playing with us when we come back. That's coming up next in the News Junkie. All right, it's time to go for Fritz on the Street. Let me see here. There was so much chaos during the break. I didn't even pick who I was going to represent. But no, I'm going to represent do you? Yeah, yeah, please do.
Speaker 4: I'm going with Mateo from the texting service who hit me up earlier this week. I had read something that he had posted and then he would just followed up with.
Speaker 1: Now picked me for Friends on the Street.
Speaker 2: Okay, Mateo, is who you're playing for. I'm gonna be playing for this guy who gifted twenty five subscriptions over at the News Junkie dot com.
Speaker 1: So I'll do that.
Speaker 3: I started writing down. This guy is his name.
Speaker 1: That'll do right there.
Speaker 2: And then we have on the line with us playing along in the place of that mortgage guy down.
Speaker 1: He'll be back next week. But Jeremy, are you there?
Speaker 2: Can hear us?
Speaker 5: I'm here, I can hear you.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got Jeremy who's with us as well. Jeremy, where are you?
Speaker 1: What? What's that statue? Is that Einstein?
Speaker 10: So?
Speaker 6: It is Einstein? So I live in Greenville, South Caroline. Well, I live involved in South Carolina, and I work for a developer who built an Italian castle that has restaurants, housing, there's apartments here.
Speaker 5: I live here. And then we have Albert. There is a bench statue of Albert Einstein.
Speaker 2: All right, We're gonna have some questions for you as this goes along, but all right, good.
Speaker 3: Let's get spreading on that bench.
Speaker 1: He's taking that Einstein's statue. All right, all right, are you ready? Fritz? I am here we go.
Speaker 2: Let's do Fritz on the Streets.
Speaker 3: Hello, Sean, Hello, Celine, Hello, Jared me Fritzel. The street is sponsored by that mortgage guy Don and Home Loans Radio. Every Saturday right here on Real Radio one to four point one from nine in the morning until ten thirty am. You can join me, that Mortgage Guy, Don and MJ for the best up to the minute breaking mortgage news. If you are looking to refinance, if you're trying to buy or sell, that is the program for you. And also, while you're at it, follow Don on Instagram. At that mortgage Guy dons in first place for Frit's on the Street with one hundred and ninety three points. That would be mister Christopher Lane, in second place with one hundred and eighty five points, mister that mortgage guy Don Yeah, in third place with one hundred and forty five points, mister Shawn Watson Yeah, and in fourth place with sixty nine points. Jeremy, All right, there he is, jam I think he's ready to go.
Speaker 1: You ready to go Jeremy's roll.
Speaker 5: I'm ready so for It's on the Street.
Speaker 3: Eight questions for current event and for general malice trivia questions. Each Tuesday night, I go to Cabos Bar in Kitchen for trivia. I then ask bar participants if they know the answer to these questions. You chime in for that bonus point, and then guess out of eight answers how many got it right. Capeche let's go all right. Question number one, known for her husky voice, which Welsh singer Ceilane Bonnie Tyler Bonnie Tyler is correct.
Speaker 1: I was I had to stop myself because I was about to just go Taylor Dame.
Speaker 3: I thought you were just going to start crying, which Welsh singer passed away at the age of seventy five. Sea Lane. Out of eight answers, how many do you think, said Bonnie Tyler. Let's go with seven, seven, five, five, four, Sean, I'll split them middle, Let's go six and six for Jeremy. Question number one, with the answers of five, six and seven, known for her husky voice, which Welsh singer passed away at the age of seventy five.
Speaker 2: Pass turn around, Bonnie Tyler.
Speaker 1: It was on the BBC. I don't remember her name. Bonnie Tyler. Bonnie Tyler. Oh my god, I'm John Jonnie Tyler barber.
Speaker 3: That would be four gross.
Speaker 1: How long did that guy's Bonnie Tyler death song go on for?
Speaker 3: He said, Bonnie Tyler died, and then he sang another couple of lines. Sean, with you guys at five, you are picking up one point all right and away we go. The opening salvo has been fired. Question two, In which state is Gonzaga University located?
Speaker 1: Jarmy, Jeremy, New Mexico.
Speaker 3: That is incorrect. Good guess, Sean Sewn Arizona. That was incorrect. In which state is Gonzaga University located? Someone is screening us right, Selae South Carolina. That would be Washington.
Speaker 4: I thought it'd be hilarious if it was in South Carolina where Jeremy is.
Speaker 3: That would be Washington. Sea Lane, you got a question one, right, we will start with you. Out of eight answers, how many do you think?
Speaker 1: Said w A three? Three, I'll say two, two.
Speaker 3: For Sean, I say four, and for Jeremy. Question two. With answers of two, three.
Speaker 1: And four, Ding ding ding ding ding ding.
Speaker 3: Someone is picking up two points.
Speaker 1: Who is it?
Speaker 3: And which state is Gonzaga University located?
Speaker 1: Oregon?
Speaker 12: No clue, Washington, Texas, Connecticut, Washington State, North Carolina, Washington.
Speaker 3: That would be three. So Sea Lane is picking up two points on that one, and Sean and Jeremy, with your guesses of two and four, each picking up one point. All right, now, I'm moving on to question number three. Jeremy, just so you know two. You can pick different answers, or you can pick the same answer as someone else. So to reiterate question three on Monday, which New Zealand actor passed away at the age of ceiling sam Neil, sam Neil is correct.
Speaker 1: Damn it's getting all the dead people.
Speaker 3: It was a sad one Celian. Out of eight answers, how many do you think, said sam Neil, New Zealand actor.
Speaker 1: Uh the eight, eight, six.
Speaker 3: Six for Sean and seven for Jeremy splits the middle Question three with answers of six, seven and eight.
Speaker 1: Ding ding ding ding ding ding.
Speaker 3: Someone knows their doctor grant on Monday? Which New Zealand actor passed away at the age of seventy eight?
Speaker 4: Sam Neil, sam New York, sam Neil, Oh, sam Neil, no idea, Sam Neil, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know that one.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Samuel.
Speaker 3: That would be six. So Sean is picking up two points on that one, and Jeremy with your guests of seven, picking up one bit. Next up is question four. That's the halfway point here on Fritz on the street. After question I'll tell you who so far is winning on the day. In question four goes like this due to its shape, Which European country refers to itself as the hexagon?
Speaker 1: God saw.
Speaker 3: The Netherlands is incorrect, Jeremy, that is incorrect due to its shape. Which European country refers to itself as the hexagon?
Speaker 1: Switzerland?
Speaker 3: That would be France. You got question three, right. We will start with you out of aid answers. How many do you think, said France.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go three, three, I'm gonna say.
Speaker 3: Four, four for Shawn.
Speaker 1: Jeremy, how many of you saying.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm sorry, this lady just backed into a car, crazy that I'll do it.
Speaker 1: Just the number one out of eight would be good, free.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: And three for Jeremy. Question with answers of.
Speaker 1: Three and four? Ding ding ding ding ding ding.
Speaker 3: Someone backed into a car due to it shape? Which European country refers to itself as the hexagon?
Speaker 2: Scotland, Austria, France, Germany, France, France, Austria.
Speaker 1: That would be three three.
Speaker 3: So let's see uh sean by the way, all right, all right, So Jeremy and Celiane picking up two points each with their guess of three, and sewn with a guess of four picking up one point, and that means halfway through in first place with six points Sea Lane Slash Mateo and second place with five points Sean Slash this guy and in fourth place third place with four points.
Speaker 1: Jeremy, Jeremy, what's going on? Somebody got into an accident behind you there?
Speaker 6: Yeah, this lady just backed in the car and I'm pretty sure she just left because I don't see her.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 11: Run.
Speaker 2: There's been plenty of Fritz on the streets about crime, but never one where a crime was committed during the game.
Speaker 13: You know what.
Speaker 3: This is actually the second hit and run that we've had on the days.
Speaker 2: Right, there was a motorcycle. Right, this is the second hit and run during Fritz on the street. That is a very odd stat but they're true.
Speaker 5: Okay, they did the insurance rates rise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Four questions remaining. Question five now on Tuesday, which US State issued in executive order to halt a ceiling, New York, New York is correct to halt AI data centers for one year ceiling. Out of eight answers, many do you think, said New York. I'm gonna go with six, six, four four four, Seawan, I'm gonna go seven and seven for Jeremy. Question five, with answers of four, six, and seven.
Speaker 1: Ding Ding Ding, Ding ding Ding.
Speaker 3: Someone knows their data on Tuesday, which US State issued in executive order to hold AI data centers for one year.
Speaker 1: New York, New York, Florida, New York, New York, New Jersey, Florida, Florida.
Speaker 3: That would be four, So Sean is picking up two points for question number five. Now on to question six. Who became the first person to become a billionaire by writing books?
Speaker 1: Oh? Sewn Sean A Harry Potter, Lady Harry Potter. Later, Oh, what's her name?
Speaker 3: I can't think of her name of Pat Ceilan Let Jeremy do it alright? Jeremy tried.
Speaker 5: Jk Rowlly, R k rally.
Speaker 3: That is correct, jk Rowling. Jk Rowling. Jeremy, you picked that one up. Out of eight answers, how many do you think? Said jk Rowling. Who became the first billionaire by writing books?
Speaker 5: Lucky number seven.
Speaker 3: Seven, five for Sea Lane.
Speaker 2: I can't believe I brain farted on that. Courtney popped into the studio. I blame her.
Speaker 1: I'll say eight.
Speaker 3: And eight for Shawn. Question six with answers of five, seven, and eight, who became the first person to become a billionaire by writing books.
Speaker 5: JK.
Speaker 3: Rowling JK Rowling, Pass, J K ralling Up, King, Stephen King.
Speaker 1: JK Rolling top Lenson.
Speaker 3: That would be four, So selan with you guys, A five, picking up one point two questions now remaining, Question seven, Which South Carolina senator died over the weekend? Sewn Lindsey Graham, Lindsay Graham is correct? Sean out of eight answers, how many do you think, said Lindsey Graham.
Speaker 1: I think that's a six, six, seven.
Speaker 3: Seven for Sea Lane. I stay eight and eight for Jeremy. Question seven with answers of six, seven and eight, Ding Ding Ding, Ding ding ding. Who knows? There's which South Carolina senator died over the weekend?
Speaker 2: Lindsay Graham, Lindsay Gram, Lindsay Gram, the Ladybug, Lindsay Graham.
Speaker 1: Lindsay Graham, Lindsay Graham, Lindsay Graham.
Speaker 5: Lady g Lindsay Graham.
Speaker 3: That would be eight. So Jeremy's picking up two points on that one, and the Sea Lane with a guest of seven picking up one point. And in case the hit and run threw me off in first place with nine points. Sea Lane slash Mateo and then we have a tie. So second and third eight points each. Sean slash this guy and Jeremy so nine, eight and eight. As we head into the final quotquestion.
Speaker 1: We're close.
Speaker 3: Anybody's game, anybody's game, and it goes like this, What is the capital of Australia?
Speaker 1: Seilane, Sydney.
Speaker 3: That is incorrect, Oh, Sean, Sean, Alice Springs Brisbane, Brisbane is incorrect, Jeremy, Jeremy, Adri Canberra, Canberra, Sean, you got questions seven right, We will start with you. Out of out of eight answers, how many do you think said Canberra? Three, three, two, two for Seilane.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go four.
Speaker 3: And four for Jeremy. Question eight with the answers of two, three and four, could this do it?
Speaker 1: Ding ding ding ding ding ding?
Speaker 3: Could this be the upsetter? What is the capital of Australia Canberra, Queensland, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, can Bear Camber.
Speaker 1: Sydney, Brisbone. That would be two.
Speaker 3: So Selane is picking up two points and Sean, with the guests of three, picking up one point, and that means winning on the day in first place with eleven point Sealane Slash Materia Matello in second place with nine points Sean slash this guy and in third place with eight points Jeremy, and that is Frits on the Street.
Speaker 1: Believable. Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah means good job, Jeremy, Yeah, Jeremy, real quick before we let you go here.
Speaker 1: A great job, by the way, number one, thanks for playing along.
Speaker 2: Now, the guy who owns this place, this castle that you're at in the Carolinas. How did this guy have so much money that he's got like restaurants and a castle.
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 5: Well, it's old money. He's a developer.
Speaker 6: So he built about twenty five percent of downtown Greenville, which is our city that's here. It's not as big as Orlando, but it's it's getting there. So he wanted to venture out of Greenville. So he had some land and his business models he buys land and holds onto it till it's worth something.
Speaker 5: So then he got, you know, spend other people's money. He ended up building this castle.
Speaker 6: Wow, lay station, we have fine dying Italian restaurants, furry. And then what he did was we have a the Greenville Triumph Team, which is the soccer team for Greenville and to see if I can get you.
Speaker 5: So we built the soccer stadium soccer here.
Speaker 6: Now the soccer stadium is not done. It'll have the castle facade. You know how you see all the castle Yeah, yeah, So all of the spricks that you see come from one hundred year old mills, the stones and all of the iron work. And if I took you through and showed you all the iron work that we have, that all comes from Italy. He went to Italy. It's got a house in Italy as well. He bought stuff there and he had it shift over and you.
Speaker 1: You you live in this house as well.
Speaker 6: I live in the apartment. I'm the only groundskeeper, maintenance guy. I've got the.
Speaker 5: Best job in the entire world.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 5: And I do sidework for all the rest surant.
Speaker 6: So I drank for free, I eat for free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was. I was gonna go ahead.
Speaker 5: See this bridge.
Speaker 6: Do you see the bridge in the background that goes over the Inner State. So when that bridge was built, somebody went on Google Maps and they named it the Harumbai Memorial Bridge.
Speaker 5: It was actually a news store. You guys actually covered it at one time.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic.
Speaker 6: It's actually the Gateway Bridge, but they still call it the Harumbraid Memorial Bridge.
Speaker 1: Really got three more.
Speaker 6: Buildings that are gonna be going up out here, so we're gonna have a hotel. We'll have two more buildings with dining with you know, restaurants with leasy you know, apartments.
Speaker 5: So if you could see up.
Speaker 1: Up there, yeah, there's a pool.
Speaker 5: We have a resident pool that's on the second floor.
Speaker 1: You got it made, man. I don't know if you can see.
Speaker 5: The waterfall back there. I've got a waterfall that I maintained.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you so much. You you go ahead. He's running now, she's running, folks.
Speaker 6: We have a big Jumpo tron so we show our World Cup Games parties here.
Speaker 5: We had like eight thousand people out here for Mexico. No gosh, age.
Speaker 1: Well this is this is like a city. This is like an entire city that you live in out there.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like celebration. You know, you can live, work, eat everything.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Well, great job and Fritz on the street, Yeah, thank you so much for playing along. You got a hell of a job there. We'll have to talk to you there you go have one. Jeremy bye bye, there you guys. Jeremy out there at the Castle. Unbelievable. That place goes on out. They have a stadium. There's a stadium there. That's okay, Fritz, thank you so much. He's always the best. He's amazing. And you need to make sure next week you are participating in Fritz's Funhouse Trivia.
Speaker 1: The only way to do that.
Speaker 2: Follow Fritz on all social media platforms. Go to the News Junkie dot com, slash share, just click follow on all of them and then make sure you're participating so you could be in the next Fritz in the street. Fritz, we'll see you next week, buddy. Maybe there he goes all right back in just a moment. We're a little bit behind, but don't worry. We have a pick aside on the way. It's coming up next on the News Junkie. One of the things we do on the show is a pick aside. That means we present you a story and you have to pick the side.
Speaker 1: Who was right who was wrong.
Speaker 2: This involves a lot of things, critical thinking, using your moral structure, your lens for viewing the world what truly is right and wrong.
Speaker 1: But we don't have to get all deep about it. Let's just dive in.
Speaker 2: Because this one happened in a neighborhood in the Sunshine state of Florida.
Speaker 1: And here goes nothing. This is a pick a sidehere.
Speaker 2: We have to choose between the neighbor who doesn't want the kids on his yard and the other neighbor who plays basketball.
Speaker 1: Here we go, Seelander, your right, we're going, doll. Here we go this new christ they did every day. See basketball's right here all right as police body camp.
Speaker 2: No. So this guy, now he's got some basketballs in his front yard, and this neighbor says, these kids are playing basketball, and the basketball keeps going in my front yard. And when the basketball comes over here, they run over into my front yard, trespassing in my front yard.
Speaker 1: I can't allow that.
Speaker 2: And then when they go to get the ball back, like the cops trying to get the ball back, he goes, they got any identifying marks on that? So that's that's just to be in a jerk right there, like you know, it's their basketball. But the guy doesn't want to give the basketball back that's come from the next door neighbor's house where they're playing basketball.
Speaker 1: Because it doesn't have any identifying remarks.
Speaker 2: This is just the beginning of things going a bit sour here.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I know he played.
Speaker 1: They just potentially throw it over here.
Speaker 12: I don't know he played basketball. He comes over here, they might be that he's playing with him. They may not be his.
Speaker 2: He's being pedantic. The cop is saying, who else is basketball's?
Speaker 1: Would they be?
Speaker 2: The basketball is from your neighbor's house right there, there's the basketball hoop. When you're playing basketball, sometimes it's sort of you know.
Speaker 1: You lose the ball.
Speaker 2: You've done this before, h even you see absolutely, hey, screw you basketball.
Speaker 4: The things that you could play where something ends up in a neighbor's yard, like if you're throwing a frisbee around in the backyard, plenty of.
Speaker 2: Guess what neighbors usually do about that. They're just kind of chill and they go get the basketball and go back. It's not the end of the world. This guy, he thinks it's the end of the world.
Speaker 12: So if you're gonna say they are, he is, and he is trespassed in my property. The keyan which they do every single.
Speaker 1: Day, not necessarily very much necessary.
Speaker 5: We've got video it do you have a video with him walking and putting those there? No a video of the playing basketball.
Speaker 12: The ball's coming over here, okay if you say that's his property, but his brother.
Speaker 1: The cop says, you want me to arrest the ball.
Speaker 2: This guy wants everyone arrested just for the record, and trespass the little kid who lives next door. One of them is three years old and the other one's like seven or something.
Speaker 1: He wants them both trespassed. It's hard to see.
Speaker 4: Right now because of the angle of the camera, but if if the police officer turns to his left, I think there's a giant net for that basketball hoop in the driveway of the offending person here, which leads me to believe that this guy has been such a problem that they put up a giant net yep, to try and avoid having this issue and going on. This guy's long. What an annoying old dude.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 1: It's so bad.
Speaker 2: So there the houses are right next to each other in this suburban neighborhood, and then the basketball hoop is between them, and it, like Celian said, they have a.
Speaker 1: Huge net that is meant to be up.
Speaker 2: To catch the basketball so it doesn't dare go over onto their neighbor's property. But it does every once in a while, and this guy is just absolutely angry about it.
Speaker 1: He does not like that they're coming on his property.
Speaker 3: Do you have a video with.
Speaker 13: Him walking and putting those there?
Speaker 12: No, the video.
Speaker 1: They're playing basketball, the balls.
Speaker 12: Coming over here, Okay, coming over you if you say this, brother.
Speaker 1: He says, is over because y'all.
Speaker 2: Won't like he did him.
Speaker 12: So he says his eleven year old brother and his three year old brother to retrieve the balls every night.
Speaker 8: I'm not even three year old.
Speaker 12: Well, y'all, I haven't trust past the eleven year old, which you can. Ste clearly says you can't even so.
Speaker 2: He says, I want the eleven year old trespass, and he she won't trespass the three year old. I mean, because obviously this is just insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Same, Like this guy is acting as if he has the worst neighbors in the world. This is just kids playing basketball. Bro, don't live in shared society if you can't deal with shared society. One of the elements of shared society is families and kids. And I don't want the kids to spray paint your garage or to mess with you or to flatten your tires. Those things are all wrong. But they're gonna play basketball. Dude, It's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 1: That's too clear. Let's say you can, you can, and we want to trespassed.
Speaker 7: I mean, well, I just.
Speaker 3: Want to get here.
Speaker 12: Y'all say you're not going to serve a trust this morning once again before illegally.
Speaker 2: If it gets involved, fine, but I'm not just half an eleven year old or three old. Okay, are you want to take them off your property?
Speaker 1: I don't want you to do anything with the basketball.
Speaker 12: You can't seem to tell me whether they are aren't his. That's why I'm asking you. You're a legal authority, right, so.
Speaker 3: You don't want us to get those obvious.
Speaker 1: Who they are. But we'll go ahead. We're going to do a report on it. Okay, you said, do you have video of them?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 12: We got Okay, so I got video eleven year old twice yesterday year old video?
Speaker 1: Then you know whose false they are?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I know he was playing with him. There's no names there.
Speaker 1: What an idiot? This guys?
Speaker 2: Why do we why do we let people like this talk to us this way? I don't know what I know. You know it's their basketball then, right? No, I know he was playing with the basketball. Well, there's no names in the basketball. What's the point of his argument there?
Speaker 1: His point is?
Speaker 2: His point of his argument there is he doesn't want them to retrieve the basketball because he doesn't want them to go back to playing the basketball game again. So he says, how do I know it's their basketball? And she goes, it's just obvious. It's common sense that it's their basketball, you dummy. And he goes, well, it doesn't have anybody's name on it, like writing a name on something is the greatest legal bond to that item or that kid.
Speaker 1: I would write my name on that basketball right right now, immediately, because nobody's name on it. You know it's from the basketball hoop.
Speaker 2: It's four feet away its property.
Speaker 6: But you saw them playing with the basketballs and there's two basketball.
Speaker 1: He's gonna get your information.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go over there and talk to them.
Speaker 5: I don't think information you can the.
Speaker 12: Times.
Speaker 2: So you don't want to cooperate with us at all.
Speaker 9: When it comes to your on our report for you.
Speaker 12: He said, you're not gonna help me once again in any Christmas morning.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm not doing a chest that on a three year older or letting out all right, there we go.
Speaker 2: This is the the shakedown in this neighborhood. Pick a side. Do you pick the old man who says, this is my property. These kids should not be throwing their basketballs over on my property and running to get them and running on my grass and coming up on my property to get their basketballs. And the kids next door of the family says their kids, they're playing basketball. Let them enjoy their lives. Pick a side. Who is right? Who is wrong? Let us know tips at the newsjunkie dot com or send a dispatch at the Newsjunkie dot com.
Speaker 1: Right now, okay, what do you think Zeland? I mean, I'm team kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, come on, right, Like, are you kidding me? Are you young to be.
Speaker 4: A dick? But you could, I mean, you could be a dick at eleven and you could write the name on the ball kid? You would run over the time. This is like, what a waste of time? What a waste of anger? The world is full of people wasting their anger. This guy is right up there with him, right up there with him. I know that you might be like, this is my grass. I take care of my property.
Speaker 2: The kids coming over to retrieve their basketball every once in a while is not worthy of you going nuclear and involving the cops in this. When you say that the neighbors have called the cops, they've probably called the cops because you're a lunatic yelling at children for playing basketball. Somebody says, I'm on the kid's side. Is there anybody who's not on the kid's side? That's That's what I want to know. Is there anybody who looks at this and goes, now, that guy's right, that's his property and the kids shouldn't be trouncing all over his grass.
Speaker 1: We'll see, we'll get to your response.
Speaker 2: It's coming up next on the news Junkie.
Speaker 1: Jury Duty is on the way.
Speaker 2: And before we get to that, an update on the story we talked about yesterday. Most everybody seemed to be in an agreement on these data centers and the drama from that, and they had a big vote about another proposed one where we have a station in West Palm Beach and Project Tango, the AI data center that they were going to be building there, got rejected by the folks that were listening to, Like I think there was like nine or ten hours of testimony about this AI data center, and they just flat out said, nope, we reject your proposal. We're not going to build this data center here right now. It was supposed to be this pretty huge facility. I don't have the square footage.
Speaker 1: Oh now, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Do two million square feet right, that's huge. This place is supposed to be and it was going to be loud. They were worried about that some noise levels, we were going to ruin the community, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: So they voted that thing down.
Speaker 2: Now, I do continue to hear a lot of the anti data center people go nuts because everybody watched the TikTok video, and TikTok videos can just absolutely cause brain rot in the populace. And everybody watched the TikTok video, where why were there bars popping up on your camera? That wasn't the camera, that was the just yeah that it was a safe zone.
Speaker 1: It was like Sea Lan's in prison. I don't even know if we can show that. I can't.
Speaker 2: The screen that I watched Selan on all of a sudden he had bars in front of him Okay, sorry, sorry, heard the distraction there, but they said, we don't want to have this place here. And the TikTok rot happens when somebody watches a video and they go, did you hear how much water these facilities use? And they were doing that with this too. There were like six hundred thousand gallons of water. And the water thing is mostly dumb, folks, Just so you know, when you hear people talking about the AI centers, like how much water did it take to make this video, that's mostly dumb. The water that they utilize is obviously circulated throughout the premises, so it's not constantly taking from the local water supply. Sometimes they have to replenish, but it's really not that big of a deal. The problems are with your power system, with them forcing things like eminent domain, with the noise that it causes in your community. The lack of actual long term, high paying jobs because it's a two million square foot facility, but they really don't have that many people who work in these places, right. The jobs are all in building them, and how long does that last for? So you build it, you get some jobs there, then not that many people work in the two million square foot place, and then the data center is part of the network of data centers that is ridding jobs from everybody else out there.
Speaker 4: I thought the water thing was a little ridiculous, but one of the times that somebody was telling me about this, they were like, oh, it's killing a lot of trees too, And I'm like, I could see people being a lot more upset if that were the case. I don't know if it is, yeah, but like get that part being. You know, trees are good, but water comes back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have no shortage of water our planet, just for those you haven't seen, it is made of water. It's the biggest thing we have supply of around around these parts.
Speaker 1: And we can get the salt out of the water if we need to.
Speaker 2: But the point is these facilities that utilize water, they recirculate it. And this is if you know anything about computers and cooling computers. They that's what they're doing there, right, That's that's how all of this works. So the water thing is done, But the other concerns are legit and I don't blame people for having them. And they shot down this Project Tango thing to twelve hours of debate.
Speaker 1: It says actually do you think, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Because yesterday you had me check on it and I was like, oh, this meeting started at nine to thirty. Yeah, in the morning. You asked me to check on it around twelve thirty ish, and I was like, they weren't done at all.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 4: No, they had taken a recess or like a lunch break or something, and they wanted to move into a different facility because everybody outside was too hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you probably got to heat it up there, but down there they're all screaming at each other.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 4: Do you think that the idea of the AI data center or just a data center in general, is lucrative enough to do it offshore?
Speaker 2: Geez, you know, I don't see why not. There's got to be the ability to do that. And if they could do that, it seems like they might be able to power it out there, right, You wouldn't if you could put the data center somewhere like that where it wasn't as cumbersome to any kind of neighborhood or population of people, and then you could power it off hydro electricity, because the ocean's the only thing that never gives up, never ever gives up. Then I think you would be in a much better position, but people don't want it in their neighborhoods for a lot of reason. I think they're right to feel that way. Big Digits says, we don't have an endless supply of water. If you're worried about water running out, I mean, I don't know what to tell you, buddy, Like this is not a genuine concern. It's not a genuine concern. The job situation is something to worry about, absolutely positively. That's a huge issue. The noise, the there's a lot of things to be upset about with these facilities, but the water one is really not not a big issue as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: Real quick, Deell LIS's to jury duty Court.
Speaker 10: Is now in session, So put your phone down and pay attention before we call the bailiff over to with your ass you're no injury duty with the News Junkie.
Speaker 2: Jury Duty brought to you by the one the only mode Wit at the de Wit Law Firm. Injured on the go, just call MO eight hundred, Call MO eight hundred, call MOO or go to JUSTCALLMO dot com. After an accident, make sure you are using the attorney that's going to give you the attention that you deserve. That's MO to wit and go to just CALLMO dot com. Okay quickly Injury Duty. An update on this Nolan Wells, this teenager that went missing during the fourth of July on a boat trip to this island off the coast of Mississippi. They said they are now inspecting the cell phone of this teenager, Nolan Wells, with the district attorney. The district attorney said they're going over all the details in the phone. The family was concerned because his friends had the phone and they thought they were like the leading stuff and covering up their tracks.
Speaker 1: The family of.
Speaker 2: Nolan Wells, this young kid who's eighteen years old, who was black, and his family seems to believe that the friends, who are mostly white, had done something nefarious. But there's no real evidence of that just yet. And I like how at least the locals and the investigators are being very open and they're saying, let's look at the cell phone. You guys deserve to have questions. You deserve to have questions about this. Your son is dead. That sucks. It's unbelievably tough to deal with it. I couldn't even imagine. Well they deserve to have questions and get answers to those questions. I mean, they absolutely deserve that, yes, but I think that the when they find the answers here, it might not be the grand conspiracy that they're they're thinking it is.
Speaker 1: We'll see how it plays out. Though.
Speaker 2: We're going to come back with the Power Hour on the show. I got to get into these prison watch parties. I want to see what everybody thinks about that. We'll talk a little bit more about the Odyssey movie that's coming out this weekend, and a bunch of other clips in a grab bag segment. It's all coming up next on the News Chunky, I don't know why this AI think triggers some of you. PF on YouTube says you need to contact all the water districts in Florida and tell them the drought is bs per Sean.
Speaker 1: I hate to do this, but I.
Speaker 2: Expect a little more out of you listening to this show. This is a pretty simple thing. My claim is this. My claim is that I think the AI data centers are bad. I don't want one in my neighborhood, but I think we should have been putting them in places where we make sure that they don't have a negative impact on so many people. Because my whole worldview as I care about making better outcomes for the most people possible, right, so I want the most people to have a good and fair and free experience of just being a human being and enjoying themselves. I think these data centers could be a net negative to so many people, and we should make sure it's done the right way, if it's done at all, or certainly not in these neighborhoods. So then I say, just so you know, when you try to make the stupid arguments you see on TikTok or something, can you believe the amount of water that there's AI facility? Ways, if you do that and you're arguing against the companies that are trying to create the data centers, they are going to make you look ignorant, all right, because you've learned something on TikTok or you saw a post on social media, and you now believe that the big concern with the AI centers is actually wasteful water. That's not the big concern with the data centers. That's not an issue. It's not a significan an issue in any way. And if you bring it up they're gonna make you seem stupid, and they're gonna it's gonna lessen the power of the argument against these data centers in some of these communities. Right, this is not very difficult to understand. The other thing that I'm saying is we have an abundance of water on this planet, and whilst we may have droughts in particular areas, and you may have a lack of rainfall and you may have to wait until we get enough whether to come through to build up you know, this place or that place with the amount of rainwater it needs. Those are all legitimate concerns on a on a local and microlocal level. But when you're talking about the AI side of things, you're going to sound stupid. And I don't want you to sound stupid. I want you to be informed. I want you to have good arguments against them, because I want you to win.
Speaker 1: Stupid, I'm fine with it. I like company. You don't know, man, we've got droughts.
Speaker 2: In our area, and it's like, come on, do you not know that those things are not connected like you think they are. That's not how it works. That's not the problem. The problem is jobs. That's a huge earth shatteringly big problem. It's a massive problem. They can't fight back on that. It's a problem when they are also purchasing power from the same company that you are. Kilowatt hours getting more expensive in your area. It's an issue, right, That's an issue, a real one, and you're gonna have a good argument against the data companies they pop up in your neighborhood. But if you don't know what you're talking about, it's not gonna work as well. So, uh, you know, do your thing. But here we go. Let's do the Power Hour.
Speaker 1: They said it done. Then they said.
Speaker 2: I am gonna be representing them, and I'm gonna do it with a little bit of musie, a little bit of enthusiasm, a little bit of excitement.
Speaker 1: Time for the Power Hour.
Speaker 2: On the news, Chunky Lady is so great, man, Oh god, what was her name again? Set candidate If you guys didn't hear that this clip, she's running against somebody in Michigan and her name's Haley Stevens, and she's just sort of like, oh, she's like kind of nerdy, goofy, like people in politics used to be, honestly, before everything tried to be so polished and we want to make sure these people who are just out there trying to turn politics into a career. I kind of dig her in a way because she's she's just out there. She seems to just want to represent the people. Maybe she's dumb, maybe she has policies that are bad, but I don't hate her for this part. That was the part that I was mocking there, because she has a particular way of it.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be working on our behalf. I am going to be telling the stories on our behalf.
Speaker 1: And you better believe I'm going to be.
Speaker 3: Doing it with a little bit of joy, a little bit of enthusiasm, a little bit of energy, and a little bit of sicket to them.
Speaker 1: A little bit of thicket to them. It's my favorite part. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: She's gone megaviral this week. That's Haley Stevens. She's running for Senate and chagin and we'll see how she does. We'll see if if that works, or if people make fun of her, or I don't know, we'll get into your emails here. In just a moment, Tim says, you sound very ignorant when you're talking about data centers and water waste. What evidence do you show that supports anything you're saying. Tim, You're gonna have to come at me with more than that, please, because you can't just say you sound ignorant?
Speaker 1: What evidence do you have? I just made a case.
Speaker 2: My case is that the water that people think is used that these AI data centers is recycled and recirculated. So people will go it takes forty thousand gallons of water to do it. It's like, yes, but the water for cooling like this is recirculated through facilities.
Speaker 1: So that's what I'm saying. That's my claim.
Speaker 2: Now I'm saying, you sound ignorant, Tim, So tell me how I got it wrong, because I can tell you that I don't have this wrong. But thank you for the email. Mark talks about the pick aside. Mark says, the tips of the neews Chunky dot com. Good afternoon, Sean, and see them. Anybody acts like that in the pick a side today proves they were just born old. They seem to forget they too were children once. I love when kids are playing in my neighborhood. It brings me back to when my friends and I used to terrorize our neighborhood in good ways. Nothing too bad, Big Mark says in an email. Yeah, that was like the most one sided pick aside, and in the history of the segment. I think like that guy just he didn't look good in the scenario. He's angry about the basketballs from his neighbor's kids, even though they had a big net up. Every once in a while, the basketball goes around and then they go onto his grass to pick up the basketball to bring it back, and he's like a terrorist about it.
Speaker 1: He just didn't look good in that.
Speaker 4: That was like one of the endearing things about the side of our neighborhood when we moved. We moved, you know, into the cul de Sac, and they were like kids playing out there, people that know each other. I always see my neighbors kids shout out Alfredo playing like hockey and soccer and all.
Speaker 1: Kinds of stuff.
Speaker 4: That's fun, right, Yeah, Yeah, the kids spending way more time outside than I used to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think that's Isn't that what we want the kids to do anyhow? Aren't we like kind of screaming for kids to get off the internet and stop looking at the iPad and to go outside and do stuff like like we used to do. That's why I hear a lot of people saying and then when they do, this guy is the neighbor that's just completely angry about everything.
Speaker 1: Brian says, this is an easy fix.
Speaker 2: Why don't they just move the net to the other side of their property? Well, I don't know. I mean, maybe it doesn't fit over I don't know. There could be some reason for that, but good question. At least a lot of other people emailing. We'll get to some more of your comments momentarily on the show. And I wanted to work in at least a dispatcher too, So let's see what we got.
Speaker 1: Somebody says, I also see the bars. Yeah, this is what I was seeing.
Speaker 2: From Sea Lang's side of things. It looked like he was in prison. He was working on something. He was telling me about it during the break, as always were and proving and proving over here.
Speaker 1: So he's working on a couple of things. Here is I don't know.
Speaker 2: Anonymous wants to talk about the old man of the basketball. Uh, here's Mo Mangi with the dispatch for us.
Speaker 13: Hey, guys, hope you guys are doing well in regards to this neighbor complaining about the basketball. Which one would you rather have kids playing basketball in your neighborhood or shooting up the neighborhood or flipping door handles, Like, I don't understand, I'd rather take the basketball right, yeah, thanks by.
Speaker 2: It's not even like they were playing basketball in the middle of the night or anything. It's such a tiny deal that this neighbor was blowing up so big, you know. I just I can't really make sense of it myself. I also saw some other kids screwing around the neighborhood a video that was going viral. I can't play it right now. These kids were going around their neighborhood and they had stumbled upon the thing that shows where the sex offenders are. Oh okay, what they found the sex offender map, And they were going through their neighborhood and harassing the sex offenders. And then when the people would come outside, they'd be like, stop bothering us, and they'd be like, stop touching little kids. It's a hard one to get mad at him for, because if you're going to bully somebody, bullying the sex offenders in your neighborhood is the most widely accepted form of bullying.
Speaker 4: Could you imagine the the attempt if the if the sex offenders were to get together and be like, hey, we're really being discriminated against in our neighborhood.
Speaker 1: You know, we've did it, We've done our time. Leave us alone. Please, Oh god, I would play this. I think they might.
Speaker 2: I'll try to play it, Ceilian just quickly, because I was talking about this.
Speaker 1: All right here they are.
Speaker 2: The kids are running up to this person's house to mess with the door because they're a sex offender. Imagine if that guy lived next to these people.
Speaker 1: All right here knocking the door, ringing the doorbell. We have a prize to give them. He won a prize.
Speaker 2: All right, They're they're trolling, and we want a prize the greatest sex offender in.
Speaker 1: The world for the fairy.
Speaker 2: They're just trolling this guy, right and I gotta stop it because the woman starts cursing, I think in the second year.
Speaker 1: But she gets mad at him.
Speaker 2: Kids used to do this kind of stuff in neighborhoods, and the sex offenders would be very mad about this. Maybe some other neighbors would get a little bit upset, but this is how kids used to occupy their time playing basketball and having the basketball go on your lawn probably take issue with them seeking out the sex offenders.
Speaker 1: Like cause I play a little more, I don't know it.
Speaker 2: It is pretty good. It's hard to get mad at him. Is the police officer right now? You guys pile the kid said your effing husband is a pedophile?
Speaker 3: What is your name?
Speaker 1: You already said? Okay. I knew they were going to get to it eventually. I knew it was too good to be true.
Speaker 2: Anyhow, they were going around the neighborhood harassing the sex offenders.
Speaker 1: From the sex offender, that's some of the stuff they can engage.
Speaker 2: In out there. It's weird, though, if if if somebody comes back and they go, your kids have been bullying my husband? Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Have they?
Speaker 2: What did they do? They were bullying my husband? Why because he's a sex offender. Oh well, okay, all right, quick break. When we come back, we'll get into this story about something happening with prisoners and World Cup watch parties. We'll discuss that, and I've got clips galore, so we'll do that grab bag segment I was talking about.
Speaker 1: It's coming up next on the news.
Speaker 2: Junkie to your feedback emails, recorded messages called dispatches that we talk about and all the rest in a moment, but I saw something that was happening as of this week that I was like, should we really be doing that? And it's not even really just should we really be doing it? But should we be kind of celebrating it like we are? I guess that's my bigger issue. And they were talking about how at Rikers Island, which, if you don't know, Rikers Island is a prison in New York City and it's been kind of a.
Speaker 1: Controversial prison from watching Law and Order.
Speaker 2: Law and Order is featured in I'm sure like Rikers Island's a famous prison. It's a very famous prison, and there's been claims over the years that it doesn't treat the prisoners well enough or.
Speaker 1: Different controversies about it.
Speaker 2: But now there was a story about Rikers hosting a watch party for their inmates to be able to watch the World Cup because the World Cup has been going on and they wanted to make sure that the inmates for some reason at the prison had a fun time were able to watch the World Cup watch party, and on its face, I don't really have a huge issue with that, but it went a little further, and I'll talk about why I did take issue with it at some point on its face. If you want to do things like this to reward good behavior among inmates, I don't have like a big problem with that. I think that's the part when you tease this, I was like, well, I mean for prisoner morale or just to kind of entice them to not be a jerks all the time, that not be violent, not you know, break the rules.
Speaker 4: You kind of need things in place, you know, you need goals that they can reach, especially the ones that are there for either really long stretches or life. And like you said, it could be kind of a rough place. So if you incentivize some things to keep the prisoners in line, I think that's an overall net positive.
Speaker 2: I'm fine with that. And I understand that that the prisons need tools to try to encourage good behavior.
Speaker 1: I totally get that. I totally understand that.
Speaker 2: However, the Mayor of New York, Ziorn Mamdani, he then took it a step further, and that's why I was like, I don't know about this. He visited rikers and was hanging out and watching the World Cup with the prisoners, and I'm watching this here. Question. We took the balts six to six, you have one. The Mayor of New York comes there, He's like, smiling, shaking hands with the prisoners.
Speaker 1: I hope that this shares with.
Speaker 10: People were Inclarson, you're on Rankers, that they who are part of New York City. The World Cup has been a magical moment for the entire city. These are New Yorkers and they will be New Yorkers when they get out of Rankers. They're New Yorkers today.
Speaker 1: And yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 2: So he goes in and any parties the Mayor of New York City with the prisoners at Rikers Island, would you call it parties? I mean hanging out. I'll try to be as friendly as I can. I would say he's he's in there meeting and greeting and smiling and shaking hands with them, these prisoners at Rikers Islands who are watching the World Cup. So while I don't have a giant problem with you rewarding really good behaved inmates with letting them watch the World Cup or having some of that stuff accessible, I do have an issue with just sauntering in there and saying, hey, you guys are America, so you're you're New Yorkers, just like the rest of us, want to make sure you get to enjoy the World Cup. Like these people are criminals, these du some of them are in for raping people, for murdering people.
Speaker 4: For not for nothing, like I You know, I did preface this by saying I think it's a good thing to incentivize the prisoners. But it's the caption on this tweet that I saw before you played the thing was not great from Mamdannie ma'm Donnie watches World Cup with guy that strangled his girlfriend of death.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's true or not.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they figured out who the people are in the video, but literally, Rikers is a prison where the prisoners are accused of a variety and convicted of a variety of very aggressive crimes. Dave says it's a jail, not a prison. Is Rikers technically a jail?
Speaker 1: It might be, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Hold on Rikers Island is the site of one of the world's largest correctional institutions, New York City, and I'd say it contains New York's largest jail. Okay, so I guess technically it's a jail. So there, Yeah, sure, it's a jail instead of a prison. What's the actual difference between the two is the.
Speaker 1: Prison is you go for more than a year.
Speaker 4: It says the facility primarily houses people awaiting trial or serving short sentences of one year or less.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Rikers is almost like an in between facility before you would be fully sentenced and then you would end up going to the prison where you would spend a much longer period of time.
Speaker 1: The halfway house in the wrong direction kind of. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So with that said, these people are many of them convicted, some of them on trial for incredibly terrible crimes, things that you wouldn't want to see the mayor sitting next to that person and saying like, you're a New Yorker and you really, you know, you deserve to enjoy the World Cup at a party like this. So while I think that was a fine thing to do, I think all the jails, all the prisons, if they want to do these kind of things to reward the people, I don't think it should be made into like a big thing like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we're doing the watch party.
Speaker 2: Like let's not forget that the people in prison are mostly very bad people, right, they're mostly very bad people, and I, for one, am taking the radical position of not being on the side of the criminals. And I see so much stuff like that where I go, wait, what, like, what even is going on with some of these people?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 2: There was a woman who went viral this week because she's an attorney, and she posted a gift of a figure skater celebrating and it said I just got a life verdict on a death penalty case. She deleted the tweet. Eventually she reposted it without the gift. But this woman, Beth Burdon, said I just got a life verdict on the death penalty case. Somebody said victim was a ninety three year old woman had just finished her birthday party, was dropped off at her senior facility.
Speaker 1: The murderer was dating her daughter.
Speaker 2: A five five, two hundred and ninety pound middle aged man got into the facility. He had been watching older adult porn multiple times a day. He sexually abused and strangled a woman. They found her naked and dead on the floor, and the lawyer is posting cringe boomer slop memes for saving his life. What's happening to our country man? There is an element of this where I go like, hey, we do need to remember that. While you can do some things in there to encourage good behavior, I don't think we should act like just a bunch of New Yorkers.
Speaker 4: Remember that, Remember that lawyer post I sent you, like a couple of years ago. I was like flipping through Instagram and there was some lawyer bragging about that he just got some guy, uh exonerated or got a not guilty verdict, and he was he was accused of like some stuff with a twelve year old boy. And You're like, buddy, or is this the victory lap you think you should be taking right now?
Speaker 2: Was that the viral guy who was like the TikTok attorney or whatever?
Speaker 1: Was that the dome?
Speaker 4: I think we talked about it right around the same time, because I don't know if it was the same guy, but it might have been.
Speaker 2: There's been a couple. I just think there's a better way to handle that. But let me know what you think. Send a dispatch over at the Newsjunkie dot com.
Speaker 1: A couple of emails coming in.
Speaker 2: Anonymous says Sean about the AIDATA centers. Oh god, please, I mean the reaction to this is I guess it's as predicted. There's a lot of people who get won over by these short clips online and then that just becomes part of their belief system and.
Speaker 1: They can't go.
Speaker 2: I don't know why people can't do this, can't go like, hey, I don't want data centers in your neighborhood unless you want them. I don't want data centers competing for the power in the kilowatt hours from the same power station to drive up your bills. I don't want any of these things going on. I'm fundamentally against that. Made that true. I made that clear yesterday.
Speaker 1: But then I.
Speaker 2: Said, hey, by the way, if you're arguing against data centers, don't use the trope about the water waste, because it's really like on the bottom of the list of concerns. Then people just melt down over things like this. Jean, you're absolutely correct about the water usage. My company builds data centers and are in charge of help help keep the facility cool. You're correct that the systems that keep these facility cools keep these facilities cool are a closed loop system. It transfers the heat to water into closed loop and that water is transferred to big equipment that uses refrigerant and or air to cool the water down, then it sends it back to help cool the facility. If people claim it uses forty to fifty thousand gallons of water to do so, it's very possible. However, it also takes fifty to five hundred thousand gallons to cool down hospitals and other critical buildings as well. Does that mean people are against hospitals to keep up the good work? Says this person anonymous, But Anonymous is vested by the data center, so he's going to be a little poisonous in some way. In this conversation, I was asking a couple of questions during the break, and what's funny is when you start poking around at this the biggest usage of water in the United States of America is obviously you know this, not data centers.
Speaker 1: It's agriculture. It's agriculture.
Speaker 2: And one of the biggest uses, like if you take the state of California, well let's get rid of the cows, Well it's the crops.
Speaker 1: You know, it's the crops. And in particular it was and what are the crops doing people right now? Sean explosive diarrhea.
Speaker 2: They are the whole country is turn off the water supply, crime, smoke, there's let us trying to get you. Everything out there is trying to get you right now. But but yeah, I mean, when I look at this stuff, I say, how big of a problem is? Is what's the real issue at the heart of this? And in terms of California, they're crops. I think it's like fifteen to twenty percent of the water usage or maybe even more in some cases is on these crops. Some of it's on what was the crop I was saying during the break when the almonds are the almond crops are one of the biggest users of water in the state of California, for example. But nobody's raging against the almond corporations and the almond milk industry. And you know, big Almond, big Pistachio is coming after them.
Speaker 1: But they've probably used a lot too. So are you cash the check?
Speaker 2: So it's fine suggestion now that I'm getting these paychecks from the big data centers, My suggestion is that you focus your arguments on the things that will hold up to scrutiny. And the water that you here used is circulated throughout these facilities. So while it seems like a big number. It's not actually as bad in the long term as many people have been convinced to believe. That's a pretty like reasonable stance to have, but you know, the reaction is interesting. Uh, okay, there's a lot of people emailing. I'll try to get some more of these on before the end of the show. So we'll come back finally for once in a blue moon with a big last segment of the show. We're going to do final dispatches, stories that didn't make the cut, and of course today I learned to wrap everything up for a Thursday that's coming up next on The News Junkie.
Speaker 1: It's been a blast. It's been a good.
Speaker 2: Time, a good ish time, and we're gonna do all the rest of this stuff to close up shop here on a Thursday. I'm not it's been a real good time. It's good good it's been an okay time, great time. We have had an okay time, and you can still hang out with us.
Speaker 1: Before the end of the show.
Speaker 2: Tips at the news Junkie dot coms where you send your emails or send your dispatches over on the website of the app, and I promise we get into a little bit more of those. Let's see what else we can do. Another clip I saw making the rounds today was I guess Mike Tyson was at the sb's and they were giving some award out. Uh, here he is and in sbe goes to check this out show any First of all, I know why he said check this out because Mike Tyson had been practicing how to say show hey, ohay, hey yeah.
Speaker 1: And then then they're like, all right, show hey could not be here tonight.
Speaker 8: He sends his gratitude and appreciation at ESPN and everyone who voted for him.
Speaker 2: Mike goes, he's a guy I got wait, show is a guy he didn't even know.
Speaker 1: Gotta love Mike Tyson. What a character that guy is. I had a friend of those things.
Speaker 4: Friend that's overseas, celebrating his birthday and he just went out and just dropped a whole crapload of money on like expensive stuff. And he went to the store called Kith k I t H don't know what they sell their probably high end stuff. But every time he took a picture of Kith, I just wanted to find that gift of Mike Tyson going.
Speaker 2: Now Kith, all right, let's see here on the way out, maybe a couple of Emailsobby sends an email and Bobby says, she's talking about the AI stuff.
Speaker 1: Because that triggered a bunch of people.
Speaker 2: She says, a single mid to large hyperscale data center can consume between one million and five million gallons of water a day, the equivalent daily uses of a town ten thousand to fifty thousand people. This is exactly what I'm talking about, though, This is this is literally what I'm talking about. The water is recycled through the process. I can't say it any more times than I already have. I'm not going to keep repeating myself. But the water is recycled through the process to cool things. It's like it's like saying you had a giant car engine and then you talked about how much water was going through there through the radiator. He said, oh my god, it's like this much per day through the radiator, and they go, no, no, no, the radiator is that large. And then it just circulates the water through the system. So it does take water out of the system one time to fill up the system and you know all that stuff, but then it just circulates it through there. That's how most of them work at this point in time. And it's also not anywhere near one to five million gallons per water.
Speaker 1: For a lot of these data facilities.
Speaker 2: Again, you're making me sound like I'm pro data center or something after I see so many people hooked.
Speaker 1: Up on this. But enjoy yourself with that, have fun and you know, go for it. That's why you had a good ish time. I did have a good ish time. Yeah, that's that's all I could have today.
Speaker 2: I had a good ish time which was supported by all the folks who gifted secret shows today. Thank you so much for that. That that made it all good. Finish like three dummies. The dummies email all the time. That's okay, but I appreciate the other folks, the supporters out there, Thank you so much for that. We have a secret show tonight at eight pm eight pm Eastern. You can watch over on the neewsjunki dot com if you're a subscriber. If you're not, what are you doing? What are you doing? Get involved to go over to the Newsjunkie dot com right now.
Speaker 1: All right, that'll do.
Speaker 2: We have time for a dispatcher now, yeah, we dospatches, but.
Speaker 1: Sean, I promise that Odessey movie I think is going to do really good. I think so too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the record, people seem to be reviewing that thing like it's the greatest movie in the world.
Speaker 1: So we'll see how it works out.
Speaker 2: Here is uh Anonymous with a dispatch about the old man.
Speaker 11: Hey, guys, what's going on this afternoon? Just a quickie on the old man and the basketball kids. Quickly, he's so proud that he has these videos of the the kids playing with the balls and the balls obviously flying over his fence, and he wants to show the cops and they kind of like they don't care about the videos. Sure they should actually care about the videos. Go over to the video. Watch it with the man seeing the kids playing with the balls, and when the balls go on the guys wan freeze it. Take a screenshot, see if that's the ball that's in the man's hand. Now, if he can't produce a receipt him for Anonymous.
Speaker 2: This this feels like the same kind of debate as the Ai Waters thing. It feels like it was obvious to everybody in the world that the basketball came from the kid's house. Everybody knew where the basketball came from the guy was just being annoying, so we could just ignore the guy being annoying, I think, and that's what his neighbors are probably trying to do.
Speaker 1: Let's do today.
Speaker 2: I learned the following information may make you feel smarter, but will not actually increase your IQ.
Speaker 1: So don't get cocky.
Speaker 2: How it's done what.
Speaker 1: We call today.
Speaker 2: It is tailor for a Thursday, July sixteenth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Here we go today.
Speaker 2: Learn there's a legal loophole in quotes in Yellowstone where you could theoretically get away with murder because there's no jury. There's no jury in the Yellowstone area. However, I just I don't think it works that way. I can't read much more. I just don't think it works that way. Today, learn this band right here, the verve. The verb is correct, that's right, the verb. They only made about one thousand dollars from this song, Bittersweet Symphony because of a big, fat copyright issue you may may have heard of with the Rolling Stones. The Rolling Stones actually ended up with the rights to it after a court battle, but they returned them because they felt bad in twenty nineteen, so that the people from the verve could make a little bit of money. Thank you so much for hanging out with us. We do appreciate it. We're back tomorrow, same time, same place. Missed any of the show, get the podcast over at the neews junkie dot com.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Everybody attack Stagh
Speaker 3: No no,