Speaker 1: And now, an exclusive interview with David Basset for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Even with Tanner Scott trying to bring me down in rainy Detroit, we're joined right now by one of the relievers in that bullpen, the one and only Seth Halverson, the newcomer Seth Halverson.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Since it is raining right now, I figured, hey, we got nothing else to do except a pregame conversation for fans to get to know you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 3: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Don't be nervous with Tanner Scott right there. Good dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's it been like for you to get to know your teammates? The bullpen is a team within itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been fun getting down there. Obviously, there's a lot of experience down there, so being able to just have conversations with everybody and pick some brains and just hang out and just learn by observing and just being able to compete with these guys too is fun.
Speaker 1: Has it been a breath of fresh air?
Speaker 2: To actually pitch at sea level and not have to deal with the elements of Colorado?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's a big difference in how the ball feels on the fingers, you know, with the elevation. It just gets a little bit drier. And then, you know, yeah, the stuff plays, you know, probably a tick higher, too, when you're not in 5,000 feet. So, yeah, to be able to not be there consistently, you know, Over time from here, I'll still go back there a little bit, but not too often, not as often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I've heard not only just the pitch characteristics, but obviously the mental part of playing there.
Speaker 1: Is that a real thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, you know, you play there for 81 games, and it's like you kind of have to, like I'm prepared to play there more consistently. And I think actually I had better splits there.
Speaker 1: Colorado.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that was just because I was prepared mentally all the time for Colorado. I don't know what the science behind that is, but to be able to not have to play their 81 games out of the years, I think as a pitcher, it's probably going to be beneficial.
Speaker 2: Seth Halverson is our guest. We're in Detroit, the Dodgers and Tigers getting set for first pitch.
Speaker 1: So you're a great guy to ask this.
Speaker 2: Everybody always wants to know, what's the secret with the Dodgers? How do they get pitchers to be their best? How have they helped you be the best version of you?
Speaker 3: It's just been, they got me back to my natural arm slot of where I kind of was in 2024. When I was at my best, it was just pretty... simple logic of just like, this is where your arm was. And, you know, when you had a high success rate in the major leagues, so let's get you back to there. And I think my pitches play better from that arm slot and everything just kind of takes a tick up. And, you know, when I'm able to just compete, you know, throwing from a spot where I'm comfortable throwing, it's pretty exciting. And so they told me that the first couple of days I was here and then just kind of been working to get back there. uh, you know, last month or so.
Speaker 1: Is it tough to get, get back to that slot? Are you even conscious of it?
Speaker 3: Uh, I think I, I started raising it, you know, slightly over the last couple of years. And so it's not, it's not like a challenge to get back or it's not like impossible to get back to my arm slot. I think I have, um, you know, I don't know if I've gotten it all the way back down, but it's been, uh, it's been pretty comfortable getting back to a, a slot that I've had thrown from for a long time.
Speaker 2: That's got to be exciting. You mentioned the word compete. Isn't that what it comes down to on the mound? Not being so caught up in arm slots or mechanics, but to trust the preparation that you've put in. And when you're on that mound, mono-y mono against that hitter, it's about coming down and competing and doing the best you can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a great thing for what they told me because the arm slot, the whole thing is natural. So when I go out there, I'm not really focused on that. I'll kind of focus on it before I get on the mound. And once I get out there, yeah, keep it super simple and give it everything I got to compete one pitch at a time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one pitch at a time, one strike at a time, one out at a time. Seth Halverson is our guest. I think I'm going to nickname you Seth the Bull because you remind me of a bull on the mound.
Speaker 1: Love it. Thank you. Bulldozer. Bulldozer. That's what Tanner Scott's saying. Bulldozer.
Speaker 3: Perfect. Thanks, Tanner.
Speaker 2: More Buzz Lightyear.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can see a little Buzz Lightyear resemblance to you. I'll take it. All of the above. Tanner Scott, acquired taste, right? He's great. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Love spending time there with him and the bullpen.
Speaker 1: Okay. All right, bull.
Speaker 2: All right, bulldozer. All right, Buzz Lightyear. Thanks a lot for the time, Seth Halverson.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.