Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: It's Opening Day at Dodgers Stadium, and I'm joined by a guy that embodies everything it means to be a professional baseball player, a man that is a three time World Series champion, back to back champion with the Dodgers. That is the one and only Freddie Freeman. Freddie, thanks a lot for the time. And you made it to another Opening Day.
Speaker 1: Thank you, David, thank you for those kind words. It's good to be back and get this year going.
Speaker 2: How does it feel after all these seasons, sixteen seasons entering your seventeenth, does Opening Day still mean the same to you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does, just because of all the hard work that you put in the offseason in spring training. You're excited to finally get the games to mean something and you start your goal of winning another championship. And all the fans are excited. They've been missing baseball for five months, so everyone's excited just liking the Game's gonna say, angels. All the fans are there during those spring training games.
Speaker 3: Too, so it's it's a blast. Open Day is always fun.
Speaker 1: That means it to start of a new year, and hopefully I start of a really championship seller year.
Speaker 2: Hey Freddie, it's one thing to be hungry, but after you went back to back championships, how impressive is it that not only yourself, but everybody else on the team came day one to spring training hungry as ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the group that we have here, the environment we've created, the chemistry, the desire, the want, all of it.
Speaker 3: It's a special place we.
Speaker 1: Have going on around here, and we want to win every single year. That's I think that's every professional athlete's goal is to win the championship for a year, And obviously when you win two in a row, you want to be those people that win three in a row.
Speaker 3: You know, you just want to keep doing it. We had the same narrative last year it be the first.
Speaker 1: Team since the Yankees went back to back, and now we get to be the same narrative going into this year to be the first first team since the Yankees to win three in a row.
Speaker 3: So we got a good group. We're really itching.
Speaker 1: To get going here and we're excited about this year.
Speaker 2: Freddie Freeman is our guest on opening Day. For you, this was a more normal offseason and spring training. Do you feel like Freddy again?
Speaker 3: I do. I feel good.
Speaker 1: I don't have to get to the field three hours or four games and stretches and to just get myself to be able to go out there and play defense, you know, during stretch and VP. It's been nice to just show up and do my routine and get ready for the year. It's definitely nice not having surgery and rehab all offseason.
Speaker 3: So I feel good.
Speaker 1: I feel ready to go, so hopefully we can stay healthy all year and have.
Speaker 3: A great year.
Speaker 2: You're a great guy to ask this question too, because you understand the game itself. You're hitting in a different spot in the lineup this year, and you've got different guys hitting in front of you. Are you a believer every spot in the order has a responsibility.
Speaker 1: I think in a typical lineup, yes, our lineup, I feel like every guy can hit third. It's it's a bunch of three hole hitters going up and down our lineup. So yeah, this year it's gonna be a little bit different. And I think you're you We're gonna see it in the you saw it during the Angels series where against a left handed starter. I'm gonna hit fifth this year, and you know, Doc and I talked and we're trying to figure out the best way to make the Dodgers the best they can possibly be. And obviously, against right handed starters, all hit fourth, and then we're gonna start with hitting me fifth against left handed starters, just so it's a lot harder to match up. And uh, when Dark and I had a conversation, I'm good. Just hit me wherever you want to hit me. I want I want to win a championship. Make it harder for every other team to match up against us.
Speaker 3: I think it no matter.
Speaker 1: Where we hit, it's gonna be a hard matchup. But that's what we we're gonna go with. And typically one through nine you're gonna have different roles. Obviously in our lineup, if you're hitting eight and nine, you gotta know show how he's coming up, and just sometimes the situation will determine what you gotta do. But in our lineup, with our guys, it's more of a free ring.
Speaker 3: Go for it.
Speaker 1: You know yourself, you know the player you are, and just make sure you're doing the right thing in the right situations. And our guys understand that. And in our lineup. When you got a bunch of three hole hitters up and down, I think and betteran guys they know what they need to do in this certain situations of the game. The game will tell you how to play the game, and I think that we have a good group of guys to understand that and go about our business the way we need to do. But in our lineup, it doesn't really matter where you're hit. I think you're gonna have guys on a lot more times than not, so just make sure you bring those guys in.
Speaker 2: Not too many teams can have a rabbit hitting fifth.
Speaker 1: I kind of like that. Maybe I'll look like a rabbit again. Run around the basins this.
Speaker 2: Year before I let you go tomorrow. Ring Day. It's your third ring. Where do you keep these rings? How much do you enjoy it? Where do you put it?
Speaker 1: I enjoy it when you get a ring. That means you want So if you don't enjoy ring Day, then I don't know what you're doing. So well, I'm excited.
Speaker 3: I look forward to it.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see him in first I've only seen a picture of them. Oh, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it. They usually get put on for that day and then it goes into the box and goes away, hitting into somewhere to or no one can find it.
Speaker 3: So they're usually so big it's hard to wear those things.
Speaker 1: But I heard we got a different one this year where we can wear a band. The band comes out of the middle, so we can actually wear like almost like a band with the ring.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: When you win a lot and win a few in a row, you gotta kind of come up with some new ideas, and they did it this year, so hopefully we can make them come up with a new idea for this year too.
Speaker 2: Love it, Freddy, thanks a lot for the time. You know how much you mean to this city. You are a legacy Dodger, and you're gonna keep it going. And I'm counting. I'm counting every single hit, every single double the rest of the way the next four years.
Speaker 3: Love it, I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to it, and you know, hopefully those countdowns go quicker, no doubt.