Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. Well, it's a big day at Dodger Stadium, and I'm joined right now by a guy that I knew when he was coming up and he had some weird desert disease. He was really skinny when he first came up in his first big league camp. And here he is, a three time MVP, eleven time All Star, healthy again and prime to get back to the All Star Game. That's the one and only Fly Eagles Fly Mike Trout, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Hey, I got something for you.
Speaker 1: I'm part of the Ramiley, and part of the Ramley's throwing out the ceremonial first pitch tonight, Trout.
Speaker 3: You know who that is?
Speaker 2: Uh, probably Miles Garrett.
Speaker 3: That's right, Miles Garrett's in the house.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get a first look at him, just the way Jalen Hurts is gonna get some close looks at him in the postseason.
Speaker 2: And we'll see what's the last uh, you know, four games against and what's the record.
Speaker 1: It's hard to say, Mike, Yeah, I know, you know, I know, you know, Hey, Mike, the All Star Game is in Philly. You were the twenty five fifteen All Star Game MVP. How much would it mean for you to be able to go back there and starting the All Star Game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, definitely mean a lot. You know, every time I get to go back to you know, Philly and Jersey area, you know, because I grew up there, I live close to there, So be cool to see the family and you know, be able to you know, hopefully you know, get voted in and playing it be an honor.
Speaker 3: First time in three years.
Speaker 1: You're healthy enough to put yourself in the conversation for the fans who love you, that want to see you in there again. How much is that a big part of this that you were able to get healthy and actually give yourself this opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, all that stuff is great, just you know, the hard work in the off season, you know, coming up with a plan and sticking to it, and you know, it's been it's been great so far. You know, I think, you know, playing you know, I met this the other day to a lot of people, just you know playing you know, sixty seventy percent. It's tough, you know, to go out out there and and try to be the player you want to be, so to be able to go out there and yeah, it's not worried about any anything and just got their player game, have fun again. It's uh, it's been a big boost.
Speaker 1: Mike Trout's been so good to the fans. You'll see him at a baseball card shop in spring training. So this is a great way to pay it forward, to get Mike Trout back in the All Star Game where he belongs in his hometown of Philadelphia. And maybe, just maybe you might see your old buddy Mookie Betts if he gets it going here soon. I know you and Mookie created a friendship that he told me about when you played in the World Baseball Classic.
Speaker 3: How did that all evolve?
Speaker 2: You know, just uh obviously you know playing against Mookie, you know, all these years it's been it's been unbelievable. And yeah, you see how good he is on the field, but uh, being able to spend some time on them off field. He has a WBC and you know, building a relationship, you know, a friendship, it's uh, you know, to be able to keep in contact with each other. And you know he's grinding right now, but you know he's not you don't see him taking any days off. He's he's out there working harder. He knows, he's he knows what he's able of doing. You know, everybody goes through it. It's a it's a mental grind. Uh, he's gotta you know, stay positive, push forward, Mike.
Speaker 3: That's what he told me.
Speaker 1: He said, you guys exchange text to help each other when you are grinding.
Speaker 2: For sure. For sure, you know, I think we are. We all pull for each other, you know, we you know, baseball is a tough game. It'll drive you crazy sometimes, but uh, you know it's it's usually one little you know thought or one little you know tip, you know, gets you going again. So you know, you know, talking to him when when he was over with us, you know when we played you guys, you know a few weeks ago. Just being able to talk to him, see what he's going through and you know some of the some of the stuff he you know, he feels it's similar to what I was feeling. You know, I feel when I'm when I'm not right. So it's, uh, it's pretty you know cool to build, uh that friendship with each other. And you know, I love movie.
Speaker 1: Is it more Mookie, wanting to try to get in with you to get to your golf course out there in Jersey.
Speaker 2: You welcome at the golf course.
Speaker 1: Andy, Mike, before I let you go. Clayton Kershaw, it's weird him not being here. Spent his entire career with the Dodgers. How much does it mean to you to have the opportunity to spend your entire career with one team that doesn't happen a lot like Kershaw was able to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, you know, build a great you know friendship with Clayton. You know, Kershaw, we had some battles over the years. You know, I talked to him before the I saw him in spring training. We were at a photo shoot and uh together, so I got to catch up with him little bit. I saw him, saw some video of him at the game, you know, a week ago, maybe two. So yeah, like I said, I'm just uh, the battles every time when I was up at the play. It's uh, it was a tough battle. So you know, I'm glad he's retired now.
Speaker 3: So that's the biggest thing.
Speaker 2: Competing competing now, he's uh, probably competing with his kids.
Speaker 1: So have you ever referred to your body as a carcass the way he did last year.
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't think I've ever said like that, but some days, you know, some days when you when you know where the knee wasn't right, it felt like it for sure, Mike.
Speaker 3: Great to see you at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 1: You know how much the whole baseball community respects what you represent as a person, as a player, and you deserve to be back in the All Star Game this year.
Speaker 3: And I couldn't think of.
Speaker 1: A better city for you to be back, starting in center field in Philadelphia. So fans, the polls are open right now. Get Mike Trout back in the All Star Game and he'll put on a show in the city of brotherly Love.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Thank you for having me.