Speaker 1: The quest for the free peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 4: We get ready running back to.
Speaker 1: Get in on the show called eight six six eight seven two five seven and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts and now your host, here's Tim Kakes.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: A rough afternoon in Chicago as they fall to the Cubbies seven to six as the Dodgers get swept out of the Windy City and lose all three games in Chicago this week. Get a brutal three game loss for the Dodgers after getting swept by the Boston Red Sox over the weekend. The Dodgers then go to Chicago and lose all three games and a day off tomorrow wouldn't come at a better time for this Dodgers teammate. Much needed day off as they are back at it on Friday in a three game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks. But what a disaster in Chicago, losing all three games to a Cubs team that's fighting and scrapping in the NL Central to get back into that divisional race and certainly fighting for a wild card spot and trying to hang on there for one of those two spots in the National League. But just a disastrous weekend against the Red Sox and then the last three days in Chicago couldn't have gone worse. Eric Lower had been so good for this Dodgers team over the course of three games. Today he comes out four inny and six runs, eleven hits and gives up a couple of home runs to pie Crow Armstrong. Just absolutely disastrous for the Dodgers, who in all three games to the Chicago Cubs jumped out to a lead and then gave up the lead only to fall behind and really just not play clean baseball. Just weren't able to do things they've been doing all year. Good pitching, timely defense, and lots of good offense. And the team that relies on pitching, defense and slug When you're not having one or two of those facets, you're not gonna win a lot of baseball games. And that has been the case for the Dodgers over the last six games.
Speaker 4: And really you go back over the last two weeks.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is a five hundred baseball team since the All Star Break.
Speaker 4: As much as we talk about.
Speaker 5: How they have won those series in New York and Philadelphia, they just could not come back home. And do you know anything against the Boston Red Sox and they were lucky to take two to three from the Seattle Mariners. They struggled in this series against the Chicago Cubs, and outside of the five run outburst in the eighth inning from the Dodgers, you know this was gonna be a tough go for them against the Cubbies. Down seven to one, offensively, just couldn't do anything until that five run eighth inning. And again, what do they rely on the slug What do they rely on the home runs for Max Munsey and show Hey o'tani as The Dodgers able to get back into it, but then when they needed a timely hit, they just couldn't get it. And at that point, you know, the Dodgers already had Andy Paez out of the game. At that point, they already had Freddy Freeman out of the game, and the Dodgers, relying on Alex Call and keyk Hernandez Alice Call got hit by a pitch got the second on a wild pitch, and the Dodgers with the ty and run at second base with two outs again couldn't get the big hit they needed. So it's certainly a disappointment for the Dodgers. You've got to be playing better at this time.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: I say that with the preference that a year ago this Dodgers team lost seven in a row.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is the.
Speaker 5: Dodgers team that's not you know, not gone through this before and been okay. I mean, you go back to last year and certainly they won a World Series, they win the division, they did what they did last year in twenty twenty five, and last year in July going into the All Star Break, this is a Dodgers team then had lost seven.
Speaker 4: In a row.
Speaker 5: They got swept by the Houston Astros in a three game series. Then they go to Milwaukee and they lose three games, and then they lose in San Francisco in the opening game of a three game set. They had dropped seven in a row and the Dodgers could not figure it out going into the All Star Break, and then come out in the second half of the season and we're okay, and they win a World series and the world is right. So we've been through this before, this long losing streak. Now do we want to continue?
Speaker 4: Certainly not.
Speaker 5: And for this Dodgers team, you now find yourself eight and a half games up in the division.
Speaker 4: And yes it's a big lead. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 5: There are teams with lesser leads in the division right now around Major League Baseball. But for a team that was up fourteen games and running away from the division, I didn't think they were gonna be winning by this much. Yeah, they're not gonna win by fourteen or fifteen games. It wasn't gonna be that much of a boat race. But to see this lead now in the division down to eight and a half and oh by it. Wait, look at the Padres only nine and a half games back, folks. There's still a chunk of August to go in all of September to play before we get to October. And something to also keep in mind. And again, the top two teams don't have to play in the wildcard round. But right now as we speak, the Dodgers at sixty nine and forty six, are behind the Milwaukee Brewers, who have the best record in baseball and are one game up in the win column, ahead of the Atlanta Braves, who have won six in a row and can very easily leap fro out the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: So just when you think, oh, fourteen game.
Speaker 5: Lead, Okay, it's down to eight and a half, not not to panic, don't worry, We'll still win the NL West. Well, the last thing you want to do is go through the wildcard round again.
Speaker 4: You'd like to get to maybe a little.
Speaker 5: Bit of a break, But as it is, the Dodgers right now see themselves with the Braves and Brewers fighting for those two top two spots in the National League.
Speaker 4: Something to keep an eye on it.
Speaker 5: As much as you think, well, what do they have to play for, they're running away with the division still eight and.
Speaker 4: A half games to him. Slow down.
Speaker 5: It'd be nice to have a bye in the wildcard round. It'd be nice not have to play that series again this year. Think about all the mileage this team has had to go through the last two years to win back to back World Series championships.
Speaker 4: Shorter off seasons, a.
Speaker 5: Team that's full of thirty plus year old guys on it, dealing with injuries, dealing with struggles of down seasons. It'd be nice to get a little bit of a break and not have to play in the wildcard round. But again, just when you think, ah, we're gonna win the division hands down, there is something else to play for eight sixty six, nine eighty seven to two five seventy one.
Speaker 4: Other note, Mookie Betts. The struggle is real for Mookie this year.
Speaker 5: And last night after the game, I thought it was his comments were interesting, very professional, you know, and you're not gonna get a Mookie Bets who's gonna fly off the hand or get too down on himself. I thought he was interesting what he had to say last night when he talked about another zero for night, and he'say, like, I hit the ball hard.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm not going to change anything.
Speaker 5: It's not like I'm doing something wrong or I feel like my mechanics are wrong or my approach is wrong. I'm just hitting it right at guys. I'm just unlucky. I guess that's my word, unlucky. But he talked about how he feels like he's at a good spot. It's just not finding green grass. It's just not finding open parts of the field for base hits. And what happens today hits the ball hard again and has a four hit game against the Cups, and you hope maybe this is a springboard for him moving forward offensively, And at the same time, you hope it's a springboard moving forward for this team with that five run eighth inning that the Dodgers can build on going into Arizona. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is our number. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. Dodges Baseball is brought to by Medello Midello, the.
Speaker 4: Mark of a fighter. So again the lead is dwindled.
Speaker 5: A big three game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks, who remember, going into the All Star Break, went to Uniclow Field to Dodger Stadium and beat.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers in three games.
Speaker 5: They've got it lined up with Merril, Kelly, Brandon Fought, and Anuarno Rodriguez Friday, Saturday and Sunday against the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: That lead could dwindle even more.
Speaker 5: And besides the division which we all thought they were running away with and this thing was over again. I will keep bringing it up. The two top spots in the National League be nice to avoid the wild card Round eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two five seventy is the number. All right, you got one line open if you want to jump on board. On this Wednesday afternoon Talk from Dodger Baseball, we.
Speaker 4: Go up to Utah. Love Utah. Heather next up here on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Heather Hallu, I'm doing fantastic. We're in Utah. Are you.
Speaker 2: Just south of Salt Lake City?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 4: Very cool?
Speaker 2: What wanted to be whenever we can so, so just calling in about the game. My parents were actually there.
Speaker 6: We were a big doctor.
Speaker 2: Baseball family, and we tried to travel with them when we can. We weren't able to go to Chicago with them, and we've got two boys playing travel team in high school baseball, you know, so it's busy. But they went. They said they had a great time. Really unfortunate that they couldn't get at least one win, but they said today was really great during the eighth inning to get the five runs and also just seeing show heyo, Tony, wake up, months he wake up. That's wake up. It stills a little, you know, doom and gloom, but I really think, truly, like for any Dodger fan out there, that's kind of panicking like me. You know, when we get these like five six game losing streak, Septembers matters more than August, and we don't need to panic right right now, it's going to be okay. It stills not great, but September matters, and you're gonna get smell and glass, noow back, and then the veteran hitters hopefully will wake up. So my thoughts are as far as that goes. I mean, is this just baseball being baseball? Or is there you know, not some pestimistic but is there anything going on in the clubhouse? Like I think it's probably just like it's August, you know what I.
Speaker 5: Mean, It's baseball. It's the ups and downs of one sixty two. Heather, great to hear from you. You don't be a stranger here to Dodger talk. Like we said a year ago, they went through a seven game losing streak, their longest skid since twenty nineteen. Right now it's sitting at six game losing streak for the Dodgers. You look at again what this Dodger team does so good slug, good pitching, and really good defense.
Speaker 4: Well, what have we not seen recently?
Speaker 5: The slug Okay, we're not seeing the offensive productions, not seeing a lot of runs on the scoreboard. Defense, base running, yeah, stop being great. Then you look at the pitching, and the pitching has not been great, both facets, the bullpen and starting pitching. So the Dodgers, I'm pretty confident they're going to turn things around. I'm pretty confident this Dodgers team we'll get out of this hole that they've now dug themselves into. And I guess you can say thankfully they built up such a big lead previously that a six game losing streak and a little run by the Arizona Diamondbacks has now got it at eight and a half. So you know, if they were only up eight or nine and all of a sudden this thing happened with both teams of the Dodgers' lead was a half game, I think we'd be hitting the panic button a little bit more. But because they had built a fourteen game lead in the division, a six game losing streak is not good. It's not ideal, but you had a little bit of a buffer there and a cushion to work with. Now it's time to crank it back up. It's time for the starters this weekend, beginning with Roki Sasaki on Friday to get dialed in in the dome there and Chase Field with the roof closed in nice seventy two degrees on Friday night against Merril Kelly to get it going. And it's time for the Dodgers to clean it up. And that's something that Dave Roberts has always coached his team as the fundamentals, and we're talking about fundamentals of defense. We're talking about the fundamentals of you know, winning necessary moving guys over which they don't do a lot of if I understand them. It's a huge topic, but also the fundamentals of defense and base running, base running. How many times did the Dodgers run themselves out of outs or innings or potential runs with a runner at second or third?
Speaker 4: Too many times? Too many times over.
Speaker 5: The last two weeks have we heard Dodger runner thrown out, a second, Dodger runner picked off at first?
Speaker 3: Show?
Speaker 4: Hey Otani, you know, show he's trying to stretch.
Speaker 5: A double in the triple, gets banged at third, you know, not running hard from second to home like Alfonso did in the Philadelphia series.
Speaker 4: A couple of weeks ago, you know.
Speaker 5: Not not tagging up and running when you're supposed to, or not getting a good jump on a ball and scoring from second on a ball hit to the outfield. And they're not even making a play at home. They're throwing a second and you pull up around third in hole. See these little fundamental things the base running have got to be cleaned up.
Speaker 4: It's a huge part of the game, and the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Aren't doing it right right now. They'll turn it around, no doubt about it. You're gonna see this team rattle off wins. I mean as bad as they're playing over the six game losing streak. Think about the last road trip, the two stops in New York and the three game series in Philadelphia. Okay, they didn't go nine to oh, but they went six and three and they won all three series. That's the big thing. Win series. Take two to three, win three of four, win the series and.
Speaker 4: You'll be all right.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, the Dodgers have been swept in the last two series.
Speaker 4: And I look at this.
Speaker 5: You know, Arizona Diamondbacks team coming up Friday night. They got some momentum and a win tonight against San Diego in that game against the Padres.
Speaker 4: This leads eight.
Speaker 5: They got all the momentum going on the weekend, and as they got it stacked up, they got their three veteran best pitchers going at it, including Eduardo Rodriguez on Sunday in the finale. And you think about Roki Sasaki. Okay, which rookie we're gonna get on Friday Night? Hopefully the good rokie who the last two starts too and zero with a one to fifty era Yoshinobu Yamamoto. I don't worry about Justin Robleski on Sunday in the finale. Which Robleski is going to show up? The Robleski that was the All Star or the Juster Robleski the last few starts that has just giving up home run after home run after home run after home run. Hopefully he has a bounce back game on Sunday again, a huge three game weekend series coming up Friday, Saturday and Sunday out at Chase Field, the game between the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks. Eight sixty sixth ninety seven, two five seventy. Let's go to Bill and see me Valley. Welcome to Dodger Talk. With Tim Kate TWI doing, Bill, good?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 5: I'm all right, I'm not panicking yet, Bill, but you know what, I am kind of looking at this sideways, like, what's go on here?
Speaker 4: We need to be better than this.
Speaker 6: Fine, No, thanks for the facts, because I was just wondering when was the last time they lost? They got swept in two series and I thought, this is this is incredible that they did that. And I guess my frustration is, I think you're right, they'll turn it around. I know it's August. My concern is when October comes around. I hopefully it's not one of those where they say, oh, let's put it in another gear. Oh there is no other gear, right, And you know, I just I know they're a veteran teams. They'll they'll probably get you know'll turn it around a little bit. It's just frustrating when they lose to you know, two big contenders, Boston and Chicago. And I think Boston's the best team in baseball now. I think Chicago and Milwaukee are pretty close. Even though the Dodgers have a better record, they're not playing better. And you know, it's just it's just frustrating because it's like, I don't think guys should be losing six games in a row to the contenders. Mentally, that can't be good.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no doubt about it. Bill, and I appreciate the phone call. I mentioned it with Jose and the Clubouse show. You know, you go back to the start of the second half of the season and we talked about the nine game road trip and how big it was going to be. And with the Dodgers a huge lead at the All Star break, how are they going to come out of the All Star break? How are they going to start on the road East Coast nine games, ten days, going to Washington, DC on the day off. How are they gonna fare? This is gonna be a big test for them. And the Dodgers took two or three from the Yankees, took two to three from the Phillies, took two of three from the Mets. You know, they come back home, they take two or three from the Seattle Mariners, who ended up being sellers at the deadline. The Mets were sellers, but the Phillies and the Yankees are playoff teams.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: The Boston Red Sox, as Bill mentioned, the hottest team in baseball hands down the hottest team in the major leagues, the Chicago Cubs right there for a wildcard spot. And don't look now, they're only five games back in the NL Central behind the Milwaukee Brewers, who have the best record in Baseball Arizona this weekend, you know, they got three game series against Kansas City coming up. The Royal's got nothing to fight for, you know. But then the Milwaukee Brewers come to town for a four game series at Dodgers Stadium. The Pirates who became buyers at the trade deadline are at Unicle Field, a Dodger Stadium coming up at the end of the month.
Speaker 4: And then you go to Atlanta.
Speaker 5: You know, you've got a stretch in which you're facing teams that you should just destroy, and the Cardinals and Nationals and Reds. But then you got Miami and you got a Padres team at the end of the year. You know, the schedule is the way it is. There are teams that are hunting for the Dodgers. There are teams, I mean, look at the trade deadline. It's a prime example. Thirty teams in Baseball twenty four of the thirty we're still in contention for the division or a wildcard spot within four and a half games. That left six teams that were legitimately out of it, no shot, absolute.
Speaker 4: Sellers at the deadline. That's a lot of teams still in contention.
Speaker 5: You can say this is good for baseball, and I will argue it is because the wildcard has added this competition. If there's no wildcard in the American League or the National League, we're talking about a boat race in two of the three league in the National League, two of the three divisions in the National League, and we're talking about one of the divisions in the American League being a runaway as well. So it has created a lot of competition and it's good for the sport. Absolutely, it's great for all these markets that are still in it. But with that being said, if you're the team like the Dodgers, you've got to be ready now because as we get here in the last seven weeks of the season, there are teams fighting and not just throwing it in and saying one, two, three can con they're fighting and they may not have been fighters in years past, but now you got teams that are scrapping and klawn and they're looking at the Dodgers now and they're seeing them being picked off by the Cubs, swept by the Red Sox, Diamondbacks got.
Speaker 4: Them for three before the All Star breaking and you know what, they're beautible. We can get to them.
Speaker 5: You know, there's a recipe here to how to pitch to these Dodger hitters now and attack them and you know, put the pressure on them defensively. So you're starting to see the teams do this and cut it after the with the Cubs, how aggressive they were, just like the Red Sox early in the count, attacking and ambushing the pitching and defensively playing really good defense and being aggressive on the bass pass forcing plays. The Red Sox did a great job of that, putting the ball in play, guys in motion, you know, small ball, with the bunt for base hits, a couple of infield singles. They do everything the Dodgers needs to need. Get it back to what they do right, slug pitching and defense. We haven't seen the defense in base running. Pitching's been iffy, and the offense has been there in spurts. I mean today, prime example, one run over the first seven innings.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 5: Yesterday, one run in the game. Today they score five in the eighth, they show what they can do. Guy get on base, Max Mounty, three run home run. Another runner gets on bass, show Aotani two run home run, slug slug back in the game. All of a sudden's a one run game. That's what the Dodgers are built on. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. We'll take a time out, we'll come back. We'll get to your phone calls. We'll hear from Freddy Freeman as well. Who good news, Freddy Freeman got hit on the right hand, came out of the game after the fifth inning. X rays negative. We'll hear from Freddy coming up and your phone calls. Cubs beat the Dodgers seven to six as the Dodgers get swept out of the Windy City, losing all three games in Chicago. Now day off Tomorrow, Phoenix, Friday, Saturday and Sunday against the Diamondbacks. Your phone calls when we come back right here on FI seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 7: Up Hi, It's Joheldney. This is do Just Talk Am five to seventy l A spot you a hol.
Speaker 4: And Otani swings lifts it deep till that field. That ball headed back to the wall and is gone.
Speaker 5: Haha.
Speaker 4: Run for al Tony his second of a ball game. He stops at second thinking it's a double.
Speaker 3: It went over the basket.
Speaker 5: Now he's told it's a home run, but he continues his try show.
Speaker 4: Hey Otani put on a show.
Speaker 5: Two home runs, a leadoff home run in the top of the first, his twenty fifth homer of this season, his twenty ninth leadoff home run as a Dodger, passing Davy Lobes, now three behind Mookie Betts for first all time on the Dodgers' leadoff home run list, as he then goes deep in the eighth inning of two run home run is twenty sixth of this season as the Dodgers, though lose to the Cubs by final of seven to six. Daniels Jewlis presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a Daniels Jeweler's fifty dollars gift card, just visit Anti seventy la sports dot com with the keyword home run any of your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream Show. Hey goes Deep twice PCA Pete Crow Armstrong goes deep twice, also had an RBI double. These two guys so much fun to watch. I mean, pie Crow Armstrong was a stud at Harvard Westlake High School right down the street and Studio City, and he has grown into one of the best players in baseball. And to see what he Tawny did today, going back and forth lead off home runs in the first inning, first by show Hey and then Pete Crow Armstrong. The two of them combined to go six for ten, a double, four home runs, four runs scored, and seven runs batted in combined.
Speaker 4: And you look at the MVP race in the National League.
Speaker 5: Stat wise, seventy RBIs on the season for show Hey, sixty nine for PCA. You look at their on base percentage, they're ops. They're batting average within you know, seven eight points. They're going neck and neck right now for the MVP vote in the National League. So with fifty games to go here, it is going to be a fun race to see what these two do the final six seven weeks of this season. Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the number before we get back out to the phones. Freddy Freeman today in the fifth inning had a check swing. It was a check swing foul ball that ended up going towards the Cubs dugout over by the third base line, and it was on the first pitch of the bat against Immenaga in the fifth and it was a fastball high and inside. He was trying to get out of the way at the same time.
Speaker 4: It was called a.
Speaker 5: Foul ball check swing, but his hand got jammed between the ball and the bat on the pitch that he fouled off and he came out. Afterwards, we found out from Dave Roberts X rays were negative. Let's go back out to Rick Leavefield. David Vat staying in the media standing by with Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 4: So were you concerned that this might be more serious? Where's that at with your right hand right now? No, I wasn't concerned.
Speaker 8: I obviously didn't come out of that at bat because I knew it hit my bat as well. So I hit bat and in the hand and pinched my hand onto the bat. So next pitch I swung, and I could swing, and I swung again. But I say, Dronone wore off pain out a little bit more. I mean, I feels like I buy a ball buggy X rays for negative. So I feel all right to some treatment, do some more treatment tomorrow. I should be good Friday.
Speaker 4: Where's the swelling at right now? It's on right here.
Speaker 8: I got hit on the side of my hand, so pretty much just squeezed into my hand. So so I get for swinging the ball out my face.
Speaker 3: It was a foul ball.
Speaker 4: It was all just a swing right. No, I'm okay.
Speaker 8: I it's just more precautionary at that point, which is good because I got some treatment. It got about an hour hours worth of treatment and feeling much better.
Speaker 4: Would you make of that eighth inning where you guys were able to score five? Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 8: It's nice for us to start scaring some runs. I know it could come out on the losing side again, but show some life. Guys got Mookie had a great day.
Speaker 4: Max with the home run.
Speaker 8: Show heyes, getting some but there's xtra base hits and I think we're on the right foot. So day off tomorrow, we'll get get going on Friday.
Speaker 4: All right, there's Freddy Freeman. I liked that day off tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Build on the momentum they had any eighth anyway, they scored the five runs a couple of home runs from Monty and Otanian get After the Diamondbacks on Friday for the start of a three game series, Can in Newport walk in to Dodger talk Ken, how's it going with my friend?
Speaker 3: Oh, twice in one week? This is like special?
Speaker 4: I know, this is we should we should do this more often.
Speaker 3: All right, Just a couple of things. After the the sweep of with what's called the Red Sox, I made up that a couple of times that this is more than just a sweep. This is three left handed starting pitchers going against the Dodgers, and the Dodgers aren't hitting well. They had two more starting pitchers. Now, now the league knows that really the Dodgers' biggest weakness is left handed pitching, especially Onceie two more strikeouts. He's got twelve in his last twenty eight twenty nine at bats. He's hitting about two point thirty. And when the league figures something out, they just hit it and hit and hit it. Now, that's the one thing. The other thing is I don't understand when Dave is leaving a pitcher in. It's the third time in these six games he left the pitcher in that gave up five or six runs. You pull him out immediately, that means he doesn't have it the day. They could have won this game if they would have pulled him out in the second or third innings, but they've left him in. Is there a reason that I'm missing here?
Speaker 4: Well, you look at Lower and he gets into trouble. We've seen him give up the home running ball.
Speaker 5: You've seen him, you know, put the Dodgers in a hole, and then he'll come up and start putting up zeros of the rest of the way, and the offense bails them out or gets them back into a game or gets them back to within striking distance. So it's not like Eric Lower has been perfect over these eight starts ninde appearances going in today.
Speaker 4: He's had his ups and downs. He's gotten the Dodgers in the early holes.
Speaker 5: They've bailed out of it though, and have come back and won those games that he's pitched today.
Speaker 4: They just unfortunately got into too big of a hole. I in there with your concerns.
Speaker 5: I'm there with your concerns. Ken I appreciate the phone call. You've been concerned about Mookie Betts. I'm gonna look at Mookie situations, say four hits today, hitting the ball hard the last couple of games in Chicago. Now that he's finding some green grass, finding some holes out there, the ball, you know, is not finding the glove around the outfield.
Speaker 4: It's a good thing.
Speaker 5: And he hit the ball hards, just off the end of the bat and his lasted bat there in what was at the ninth inning. You know, if he hit squares that up, who knows, wind blows out at Wrigley. We're talking about a different game. It's tied up going to the bottom of the ninth and the Dodgers make this huge comeback. As it is, he hits it off the end of the bat, doesn't get the barrel and flies out into left center field. So again, I think they'll be okay moving forward. I just want to see this team clean it up. Just be better at the things you do. And you're gonna go through your ruts. There's no argument there. It's one hundred and sixty two game season. You're gonna have your ups and your downs, your winning streaks or losing streaks. It's how you get out of them. It's how you figure out what you're doing wrong and fix it.
Speaker 4: And the Dodgers just.
Speaker 5: Aren't playing clean defense. They're not certainly running the base pass good at all. And those things can be fixed. And the offense, you know, you can score five runs, you can put up a crooked number on the scoreboard, which they do all the time.
Speaker 4: Just need to be more.
Speaker 5: Consistent and getting into holes like they did today are tough to get out of. You know, look at all three games in Chicago. The Dodgers took the lead early and gave it right up.
Speaker 4: I mean it was it.
Speaker 5: The first game of the series. Tommy Emans home run, three batters into three to nothing lead. I literally text my daughter, She's like the Cubs stink, and I wrote back, still a lot of baseball to be played. And as it was, they come back and they scored two I think in the bottom of the first, and then they go on and they take the lead and never look back. In the game one of this series in Chicago, same thing happened yesterday. Dodgers dumped out to a lead, gave it right back up. Same thing happened today. First batter Otani Boom goes deep bottom of the first. PCA says, hold my beer, I'm gonna hit a home run as well. Tie this thing up so you can score like the Dodgers did early. But when a starting pitcher then goes out there and doesn't put it zeros and gives up a lead or gives up some of the lead, that's not good. That's that's trouble. And then the pitcher continues to not put up zeros and have traffic on the base pass that can't happen. Dodgers will be all right. I'm not worried about the longevity of this season. This team blowing a fourteen game lead, it's down to eight and a half now, I think this weekend not to put too much pressure and not to hype it up too much. But it's a big series against Arizona. If Arizona's eight or nine games, and it's eight and a half as we speak, if they lose tonight to the Padres, it'll be nine.
Speaker 4: If they win tonight, it'll be an eight game lead. Okay, do the math. The Dodgers get swept in Arizona, it's down to five. You take two or three? Wasn't a math major? What is it? Seven?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Seven? If you're sweet.
Speaker 5: All of a sudden, it's up to eleven games. So there's a huge swing and where you could be after this weekend serious against Arizona, And in my book, I mean, you're not gonna see Arizona again the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: This is it. This is it.
Speaker 4: There's no more head to head with Arizona.
Speaker 5: So if you can take this series and sweep this series against Arizona, you are sending a message like, you know what, we're back. It's a double digit lead. You know, you had a nice little run. We had our little funk, but our double digit lead is now back and we'll take control the division again.
Speaker 4: All right. That is gonna do it for you know what?
Speaker 5: Oh Blake, my guy, Blake, Blake Colorado, final call here on Dodge Talk.
Speaker 4: Blake, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 1: You always forgot about me?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't.
Speaker 5: I was dead, I was moving my hands around, I was all animated here and then I did not forget, Blake.
Speaker 4: I did not forget. What's on your mind?
Speaker 3: The daughters almost made a lake come back.
Speaker 2: What do you think the main problem is doing this losing street?
Speaker 1: Should we be worried?
Speaker 4: I'm not too worried, Blake.
Speaker 5: I think the biggest thing is they've just not played clean Dodger fundamental baseball. They got talent oozing out of every possible position and every spot in the lineup.
Speaker 4: There's no doubt about that blake. But when you don't play clean.
Speaker 5: Baseball, I don't care who you got in your lineup, how stacked you are offensively, how good your rotation is. If you don't throw strikes, if you fall behind in counts, if you give up walks, if you give up the long ball, like the Dodgers have been given up in record numbers here. I mean, the Cubs hit eight in this series over the last three games. And you don't play good defense and you don't run the base pass smart, You're not gonna win baseball games. You're not gonna win games. So that is what's happened with the Dodgers. But I think once they clean it up and a day off, a check, a chance to excel me. Think about this Dodgers team and the run they've had. You know, a lot of these guys were exult after that nine game road trip, had a quick day off, right back at it, right back on the road, had to play a game on Sunday night at Dodger Stadium, and then fly to Chicago, No day off, right back at it at Wrigley Monday night.
Speaker 4: You know, play a three game series.
Speaker 5: Now they have a chance to exhale, you know, decompressing the desert, sweat it out, so to speak, tomorrow by the pool wherever they're staying in Scottsdale, and then.
Speaker 4: Get ready for this three game series. So I think they'll be all right. Blake. Good to hear from you, my friend. I'll be back on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, talk to you Sundays.
Speaker 4: All right, Thank you, Blake. Great to check in with you. I didn't forget about my guy, Blake. All right, that's gonna do it for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Many thanks to Coliny, Thanks to all you Dodger fans for being a part of the show. Don't worry, Dodger fans. They're gonna be all right. They're gonna be all right. This six game losey streak, it stinks. Dodgers haven't been playing good. There's no up stands or butts about it. Well, they'll clean it up. They'll figure it out. They'll figure it out fast. This Dodger team, I think, is gonna have a big weekend.
Speaker 4: An Era Zona.
Speaker 5: You watch say Take on the Snakes Friday, Saturday and Sunday with Rookie Sasaki, Yoshinoba Yamamoto, and Jessin Robleski's schedule to go Friday, Saturday and Sunday Wi I'mrongo Casino Dodgers on deck at five point thirty, right after the third and final PMS Summer Tour stop from the van's headquarters and Coasta Mesa first pitch at six forty speaking of the boys, saw him doing some laps. They're ready to go, got their stretched in yoga post is done in the hall.
Speaker 4: We're all good to go. Petro some money show coming up.
Speaker 5: Next right here on A five seven e LA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app
Speaker 2: Playing