Speaker 1: Mac, as I do roughly five times a week. I was double parking slash trying to find a spot on Newberry Street. I did find a spot that you are able to possibly stop, but you can't actually park the car. You can't get out of the.
Speaker 2: Car loading zone.
Speaker 1: While I was in the car, a meter person walked over and said, hey, you gotta move, little rude, not gonna lie. Didn't like the attitude, but I said, okay, sure, I'll get out of the way right now. And I then told my son to put his seat belt back on so we could move, and within thirty seconds the guy circle back around. He's like, I told you you gotta move, and I'm like, my kid's putting his seat belt on and I'm not even parked. And he laughed, and he goes, you don't think you're parked right now? Let me ask you this question. If I am sitting in the car, yeah, with the car on, seatbelt on, ready to drive, am I parked?
Speaker 2: You're parked, you bitch, you're parked.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. I'm sitting idle.
Speaker 2: Is the car in park?
Speaker 1: I can easily take it out of park? What if I have my hazards on?
Speaker 2: If you have your hazards on and the car is in park. You'd be like, hey, I'm gonna be five minutes. If you want to give me a ticket, give me a ticket.
Speaker 1: If I'm sitting in the car and the car is on, I'm ready to move.
Speaker 2: You just get to call their bluff. They don't. They probably path of least resistance, although some of those meter maids like slinging their cock. You're just gonna be like, hey, sorry, I'm gonna be five minutes waiting on my wife. Okay, if you gotta give me a ticket, give me a ticket.
Speaker 1: But I even said him, I'll move right now. I wasn't putting up a fight, but also.
Speaker 2: Put up a little fight.
Speaker 1: Technically, yes, I did look it up. Technically I was parked, yes, but let's be honest, I'm not parked.
Speaker 2: I made for the sake of conversation. You were parked. Now, all you had to do you should have moved ten feet instead I moved.
Speaker 1: Parking is turning the car off and getting out of the car. I'm standing.
Speaker 2: You're idling is what it's called.
Speaker 1: I would say standing.
Speaker 2: Still standing next time, just starts singing to him.
Speaker 1: One goo three yeah, just three. King of Queen Marl Street Entertainment. I'm Goo and I'm Mac and we are the Mac and Goo program. I didn't get a ticket. You can go ahead a little bit of two.
Speaker 2: Today we are bringing you an epic. Is how I think goo. That term gets thrown around, not often, but sometimes for long movies, Ridley Scott movies. This was truly an epic. Today we are discussing The Odyssey, the latest. I wouldn't say greatest Christopher Nolan film, but I could see someone arguing.
Speaker 1: But we'll make that argument of shouldn't have its face carved into a rock in seck.
Speaker 2: Goo the Odyssey is Christopher Nolan's thirteenth cinematic movie number that he's directed. One of those, Insomnia, he didn't write, the other twelve he has written. I would say that Christopher Nolan is at worst the second best director going right now. Most people would say the best in the game. I'd have Denny Villeneuve over him, But those are the top two I think pretty easily at the moment. I don't think either one has made a bad movie, and I don't know if anyone else can say that Goo the Odyssey has a two hundred and fifty million dollar budget. That makes it the most expensive Christopher Nolan movie ever made and one of the highest budgeted R rated movies ever made. Universal reportedly dumped another one twenty five in the marketing and I gotta say they didn't market the shit out of this. They marketed it appropriately, but they I think knowing it's an R rating, they didn't have to go above and beyond.
Speaker 1: I think also knowing who is in the cast and knowing that everyone in the cast knows how to go out and do interviews.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't need.
Speaker 1: To go out and do crazy commercials, set up crazy promos, crazy crossovers unless you want to put it through your legs before that three point swish.
Speaker 2: You step over Tyron lout Yeah. Uh gou. This movie is projected to make anywhere between eighty five and one hundred million domestically this weekend, with some high end estimates getting up to one hundred and thirty million. It's expecting over one hundred and ten overseas, tracking for over two hundred million worldwide opening weekend.
Speaker 1: Two things here. If it can get to one hundred and thirty two million, that is bananas. Because it is a three hour movie. So you can only show it so many times during the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, and I'm seeing a lot of hubbub about this is people that are upset that they can't see it as Nolan intended it to be seen on their iPhone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Christopher Nolan. This I believe it's the first movie ever made.
Speaker 1: This is the first. I'm trying to think of what the word is, uh like written fictional, because I believe maybe a documentary has already been done like this.
Speaker 2: A first like blockbuster movie that I'm trying to say. But yes, shot fully with IMAX.
Speaker 1: I saw the word earlier, but I can't comprehend things good enough. I can't stop eighten.
Speaker 2: There's only I believe forty true IMEX theaters in the whole.
Speaker 1: There's twenty four in this country.
Speaker 2: Yep. The closest one for us would be Prominent Providence Placed small mind.
Speaker 1: The Redding Jordan's furniture has the right screen size okay, but not the right projector got it? They have lasers. You and I away one as a shark with a freaking laser bead, and I got rid of our soundboard. I'm just gonna do impressions. The whole time.
Speaker 2: Good. You and I saw it in seventy millimeters, did we? That's what it was showing on the title card before the movie. We saw it in Dolby or Sevy middimeter, which is the next best option.
Speaker 1: What we saw it in though, is definitely crop top. Yeah, also crop bottom, not just a crop top.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and I will say it doesn't take away from the story, no, but I can definitely see it taking away from the atmosphere of what they're trying to give us with the beautiful surroundings.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's only after the fact that when you see shots one after another do you realize how much you're kind of missing.
Speaker 1: But again, I wanted to see the top of Benny Saftie's fucking hats.
Speaker 2: That was the shot that got me too, like I would like.
Speaker 1: To Well, no, the shot that got me was Tom Holland, and it was cropped like the top of his head. But then they showed him like, oh, look at all that ocean. Yeah, well that beautiful salty water.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I mean, if you can see it in imax, please do select few in this kind.
Speaker 1: I might go and see it in reading eventually, okay, because they get those umbrella chairs, so you're gonna stay dry.
Speaker 2: Goo. The Odyssey is an R rated adventure, drama, fantasy romance. Once again, I'd call it an epic subgenres action epic.
Speaker 1: Do you think of that word.
Speaker 2: Adventure, epic, fantasy epic. That's three epics, quest see adventure and Goose favorite sword and sandal.
Speaker 1: I was actually looking at everyone's feet. No one had sandals on. They all had boots.
Speaker 2: Goo. You've mentioned the runtime of this movie. It comes in at a hot one hundred and seventy two minutes eight minutes shy of three hours. And I'll say this, I think my biggest criticism of the movie is it could have been like twenty minutes shorter, because there's a stretch of about twenty to maybe thirty minutes where I'm like, I'm not getting much out of this. Maybe the Odyssey Homer's audience is getting much out of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the Homers. Let's get this out there right now. We've never read the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're tuning into us for a breakdown of this movie compared to the literary version of the story, the Odyssey.
Speaker 1: We've never read any of the books.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Goo, and I I have very limited Greek mythology knowledge. Who has even less?
Speaker 1: I'm illiterate.
Speaker 2: You've been talking to Davey to fill in some of the gass for you, which is.
Speaker 1: I'm been asking Davy Am I dumb? To think this way?
Speaker 2: Goo on roddy t's at the moment, this three hour movie has ninety six percent from two hundred and fifty nine critics. That is the highest Rotten Tomatoes critics score for Christopher Nolan movie ever on Metacritic and eighty nine on fifty seven. High nine is super, eighty nine is super high. That is the third highest ever for Christopher.
Speaker 1: Nolan because with Rotten Tomatoes, it's also a thing of like, it's not bad, There's no way it's bad. Yeah, it's automatically a thumbs up.
Speaker 2: And once again, and we'll get into those scores in a second. Once again. Written directed by Christopher Nolan, this movie Goo. The script was a faithful adaptation of Homer's ancient Greek epic poem none of it rhymed. The note the side here is no one takes great inspiration from a more modern translation by classicist Emily Wilson.
Speaker 1: Jay said that's his favorite version of the busk Okay, so we're spoiling dark right now. You don't even have to listen to dork. I'm telling you this is Davy's favorite.
Speaker 2: So in Emily Wilson's twenty seventeen translation, she uses a lot of modern language, which is what no one really takes inspiration for.
Speaker 1: He yew like when Dame is like what app kid? And then Tom hollands, what that.
Speaker 2: No One's story? This movie also takes elements from the Iliad, another Homer work, or at least it's been attributed to him, and the I need it.
Speaker 1: An Oh, we're gonna mispronounce a lot of.
Speaker 2: That is that was written by the Roman poet Virgil and go. One of the bigger things here is the thing about the Odyssey, and several works are that old. No one truly knows who actually created this story. This and the Iliad get attributed to Homer, and additional an aside to that is, yes, it's Greek mythology, but as we've come to find out throughout history, a lot of it is rooted in stuff that probably happened, and then they just add in the mythology, as some people may put in God to as an influence in their stories today, and a big part of that reason Goo is in eighteen seventy one the city of Troy was actually discovered. They thought it was a myth. They archaeologists uncovered a city that matched everything that we've known about Troy, which started down this path where like, Okay, maybe a lot of these stories are rooted in truth. So that's just something to think about. K The audience scores for Christopher Nolan's movies on Roddy Tea's not available yet for US. I suspect this is gonna be at worst low nineties.
Speaker 1: This might gonna get a bit of a review bomb. You think, oh, there's people out there that are mad about the casting.
Speaker 2: All right, Okay, for the audience scores the highest for Nolan movies, there's a three way tie at the top. Goo, the Dark Knight, Memento, and Batman Begins all have ninety fours. Then you have this other clump, the Prestige, Oppenheimer Inception in.
Speaker 1: The Dark Clumps right now.
Speaker 2: The Prestiges at ninety two, Oppenheimer an Inception at ninety one, the Dark Knight Rises at ninety. Then you have these two floaters Interstellar at eighty seven percent, and following at eighty five percent. Following Gou is the one no one really knows that was his debut in nineteen ninety eight. And then you have Dunkirk at eighty one percent, Insomnia at seventy seven percent, the one that he directed, didn't write, and then Gou. The lowest for both critic and audience. Roddy t scores for Christopher Nolan is Tenant at seventy percent critics seventy six percent audience. For me, that is clearly his worst movie.
Speaker 1: Right, And while I don't really like it, it's interesting and interesting does look really really good, and.
Speaker 2: Like I didn't, I didn't dislike it. I just didn't like it. It was confus using. I needed the Internet to explain it. I would say that, and Batman begins to the bottom two for me. But if those are your two worst movies, you're a pretty fucking good director.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. Is that Tenant? I mean it's one of the more talked about movies too, because people are so torn on like, well, there's a fire truck. That's cool, but why is the guy's name the protagonist?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah? Goo? On Metacritic The critics obviously love Christopher Nolan. His lowest scores his debut film, following at sixty. Then you have this clump of three movies of the prestige Tenet and Batman begins at sixty six, sixty nine, and seventy. Then you have these four grouped together Interstellar, Inception, and Somnia, and The Dark Knight rises from seventy four to seventy eight, and then his top four according to Metacritic prior to this movie were Memento, The Dark Knight, Oppenheimer, and Dunkirk gu Dunkirk far and away his highest critic rating, which the audience clear to me because I thought it was fine. I thought it was decent. I didn't like.
Speaker 1: I don't remember was that review bombed.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I just think it wasn't people's favorites, okayo. Synopsis of the Odyssey. After the Trojan War, Odysseus faces a dangerous voyage back to Ithaca, meeting creatures like the Cyclops polyphemous. I have it's polyphemous.
Speaker 1: It's polypemous. So I have done like three raps on the Odyssey at work, I do news Entertainment news and every single time I have texted Davy and said, can you leave me a voice note with how to pronounce this?
Speaker 3: The common pronunciation is polyphemous. If you wanted to say it in Greek with the accent, it's polypemos polypemos, but most people say polyphemus.
Speaker 2: So cyclops, polypemous, sirens and calypso along the way do This story chronicles Odysseus, who was a Greek king Greek King of Ithia, and his ten year journey home to his wife Penelope following the end of the Trojan War. This movie stars Goo Matt Damon as Odysseus, the King of Ithaca. Tom Holland is Telemaic, his son of Odysseus, and Penelope aka Prince of Ithaca. Anne Hathaway as Penelope, Queen of Ithaca, Robert Pattinson as Antonys. Did I get that right? Antonas?
Speaker 1: Don't ask me, Please, don't ask me.
Speaker 2: He's one of the suitors of Penelope. Lapina Niango is Helen of Troy and Clinton Estra, who is Agamebnon's wife. She plays a dual role here, but just one scene with the other one. It's her abduction go Helen of Troy's abduction that triggers the Trojan War in the first place. Samantha Morton plays Circi witch slash goddess. Her scene was one of the better scenes of the movie. She lives on an island called I. I don't know how to say that. A E A E A, I don't I don't know how to say that. Goude. John Leguizamo as Eumaeus. He is Odysseus's servant hand here plemonade.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like, where where did he come from?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Sure, where did he come from?
Speaker 2: He's this blind, loyal servant. Uh yeah, we'll get to that. Zendeia plays Athena, the goddess of wisdom. Charlie's to Therone is Calypso, a nymph on the island of Ojijia ogeja. I don't know how to say that. You just got to move on, bud, like I like giving it a second time. Betty Saffie plays Agamemnon. He's the king of my Sine and the commander of the a Chians. A Chean's also Menilaeus's older brother Menilaus, who played by John Berenthal. He's the king of Sparta, Elliott Plage plays sin On. JAMESH. Patel as your Eurylocus Eurylochus Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: I'll also stop you right here, tip my hands. Max credit Union. I thought he was fantastic.
Speaker 2: It's great. He was great, really great. He was very good and tenant as well.
Speaker 1: Although we don't have it in there, I guess I would call him more of like an unsung hero.
Speaker 2: He was the perfect foil to Damon's Odysseus.
Speaker 1: He was awesome, He was so good.
Speaker 2: In this Mia goth Is Melantho. She is a disloyal servant and a lover of antonas Logan Marshall Green as Melanthius, Milantho's twin brother and also a disloyal servant. Ryan Hurst, who's one of my favorites, as Mentor, Telemachus's guide and mentor. Maybe that where that comes from. You should have asked Davy that Bill Irwin plays poly Femus, the cyclops and son of Poseidon. James Remar, who played Rayden in the nineties Mortarcombat movie as Tyresius, He's the blind prophet in hell Hades, and then good Travis Scott. Travis Scott as barred. He's the guy with the Caine talking poems.
Speaker 1: Sorry right now, as of right now, and we're gonna need to see how Dune does and maybe how they feel about certain movies like The Invite and whatever comes out around Oscar time. As of right now, this is gonna win for best cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is loaded and everyone does a great show.
Speaker 1: There is not a weak link in the bunch.
Speaker 2: I would say the weakest performance may have been Holland, but he's still good.
Speaker 1: But also you needed him to be that weak character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just I don't know, there's something not off about Holland. I just thought he was a little out of his element, which and I love Tom Holland.
Speaker 1: They made the choice of going with a straight down the middle American accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think if this movie starred a British actor they would have picked a British accent for everybody?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I think because Hathaway and Damon are American, they went with Holland using an American accent.
Speaker 1: As my guess, well, they went with everybody using an American accent. You have Robert Pattinson as well. Do you think that they asked Damon the first and like, can you do a Greek accent?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Kid? Can you do a British accent?
Speaker 2: Not? Typically these historical epics feature odd British accent.
Speaker 1: It's usually British accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it just makes sense in our heads. I suppose it didn't bother me that everyone was speaking no American dialect.
Speaker 1: You pick it and you stick it.
Speaker 2: Now that we've been three days essentially to city.
Speaker 1: I needed three days. I need three days.
Speaker 2: I like, there's nothing I outright didn't like. I have nippicks like I do. Think it was a bit long. The scene evolving the cyclops I don't think I needed, I don't think the audience needs. It just kind of brings the movie to a little bit of a halt that takes up a good twenty thirty minutes. I didn't love that. I didn't love Holland's performance. Outside of that, this is Baseline, like Lowest Common Denominator, one of the best movies ever made.
Speaker 1: Do you believe that the way that they told the story it was all out of order? Timeline difference is everything else. Do you think that some parts dragged and took away from other parts of the story that maybe you took too long away from the Anhathaway character. You took too long away from other characters.
Speaker 2: No, I actually liked the way in which they tell it, where you know Odysseus is off on the island with Calypso trying to remember what the fuck happened, and you keep jumping back and forth. And you also know when you're gonna watch Christopher Nolan movie, he's gonna manipulate times somehow. So you knew there was gonna be something like this in the movie. That didn't bother me at all.
Speaker 1: Shall we get to the nonagone? Sure, first off is fun factor and maybe not the fun per second that we're thinking we might have here. It's a very long movie. Yeah, but maybe I would have had more fun with a bigger screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you could also say so you and I, as fans of Christopher Nolan and movies in general, are just.
Speaker 1: As the two fans of Christopher Nolan, We're.
Speaker 2: Just buying in to the promise of the movie and the story. However, I can admit this movie is definitely not the most fun.
Speaker 1: Not the most fun Nolan movie.
Speaker 2: No, No, so maybe a mark against that for general audience.
Speaker 1: If we were fans of the original story of the books, it'd be fun to see it on screen.
Speaker 2: I'm curious with Davy's a pain is gonna be and people of peeps, people like Davy who have read this or are fans of Greek mythology, if they like it more or like it less.
Speaker 1: Because of that, the book is better. I'm gonna call it satisfactor. It took us a while to get there, but the end of the movie, I'll give it a comparison in spoilers, but there's some real satisfactor things. I also needed to keep in mind because Davey told me this too, and this is this episode's all about Davey telling me stuff. It's as if he's a teach. Davies maybi'es Davy's gravy over here.
Speaker 2: It could be the blood of a pig, maybe it's from a cow.
Speaker 1: Mix it with flower and you get Davy's gravy. The meat is the hashtag dork episode. This is just a little runoff. We added some flour.
Speaker 2: Now we have a nice route.
Speaker 1: Well, Davey told me, and I'm happy that he did, because there are a lot of things in this movie that reminded me of other stories, and he said, well, this story came out first, was first, So everything that you're thinking of, yes, actually took from this story, correct and I'm happy that was pointed out to me.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep. And once again they don't truly know who who was the first author of this story just gets tripping into Homer. So satisfactor for me, gu you know, I'm a sucker for good conclusion. With about thirty to forty minutes left, you know exactly how this is going to play out, and it's still super satisfying. And because they've laid the ground work so well through the first two hours, you're like, you're anticipating it so well. And he also purposefully like blue balls you for like another twenty minutes before he gives you the satisfying part.
Speaker 1: To the point of you do question, maybe he doesn't plan on doing this and he does just want to do this one thing, and like get out of here, borometer, you're dealing with the long movie. It did ragget points for me. I'm not sure what you could have done. I'm curious if you could have done this as two movies and done two two hour movies as opposed to one three hour movie and allowed us to get a crisper we're away from the island and then at the end or a second movie of him returning or something like that. But I don't know, I don't know what to do. This isn't my job goo.
Speaker 2: For me, the boreharmater came with the Cyclops stuff because it really took me out of the movie because we are dealing with Greek mythology, yes, right, and we do see some abilities on screen. We see some extra large humanoid type things. I can buy INtime, I'm gonna and then this up later we get to this point where we see the Cyclops and I'm like, ah, this is kind of weird. I like, I just didn't love it, didn't buy it. It brought it to a screeching halt for me. Again, that's maybe twenty minutes of the movie, but I just didn't care for it.
Speaker 1: Halloween. Will this movie wane over time? Will it lack a rewatchability because of its length?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and is exhilarating and satisfying as the final ten minutes are, it does lack like a major standout moment, partially because of what I did like storytelling wise, but jumping back and forth throughout Odysseus's journey means you didn't just get like the Troy scene, the Trojan scene, Trojan Horse, like right there and like this great ten minute Trojan Horse scene.
Speaker 1: It was spotted it bits in pieces. Yeah, but I do like how they came back to it at the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: So the different perspectives of the war.
Speaker 2: It may wayne ween overtime. That'll be an interesting test.
Speaker 1: Because this movie compares a lot to Oppenheimer. And yeah, how you have someone that is in charge of changing how the.
Speaker 2: World's one man problem problem, solving a massive issues.
Speaker 1: Solving a problem and creating something else where you know, we've a to mcbaum on one side, and we have Zeus's law on the other side. You start throwing that out there or you start taking it away. The person that is responsible for it now lives with that forever. And I was surprised how similar to Oppenheimer.
Speaker 2: It was structurally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, plumbing aide, I said John Leguizamo, we might be changing this to who broke their Leguizamo, Yeah, because you know, break a leg that's what they say in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: This was a tough one because he's in a lot of the movie. So I actually gave him max credit union, okay, either one. I was blown away. The last thing I expected in the year twenty twenty six, the Year of Our Lord, the Year of Zeus, was John Loguizamo to give one of the best performances of the year, maybe the.
Speaker 1: Best performance of the movie, win an Academy Award for Sporting Actor.
Speaker 2: He's he's tremendous and I will say you You and I both laughed at his first scene because it's John Loguizamo, and then when I read it it was Himamo. Yeah, it's jarring, and then he's fucking phenomenal.
Speaker 1: I think that Dan will be nominated. Yeah, Damon might win af he may win. I think that Anne Hathaway will be nominated. A Hathaway right now, I think should win. Also, she was she was very good. She was so good in this. Pattinson might get a norm. I don't think Holland does.
Speaker 2: I'm with you on that Mattinson almost didn't have enough to do, you know what I mean, Like he was he was great as a bastard, plays a great bastard, but I don't know if he had enough to do.
Speaker 1: And then I think Leguizamo gets a nomination, and then people like, I don't think she's in a ton of the movie, but people go nuts over Zendeia and she might get a nomination.
Speaker 2: For this, so let's roll that into Pants Tent.
Speaker 1: Here she might handlem elector this.
Speaker 2: Do you have any more credit to give out? I gave credit.
Speaker 1: I just gave credit to everyone getting nominations.
Speaker 2: Pants Tents to the excite bike Mania gou for me. Obviously, the conclusion is satisfying. In Pants Tent Dish, I really loved the scene where Odysseus is back in Ithaca and he's sooiler. He's sort of monologuing, and as he's doing it, we discover why we seezon day of the way we do. I thought that was great. That was I thought that was fucking amazing. I loved that connection because the whole time you're wondering, like, why is Athena showing up like this?
Speaker 1: For those of you tarty to the Mac and Goop party, we rate everything on a forty hot dog rating system. Mac, this movie is quite good.
Speaker 2: It's very good. It is very good to me.
Speaker 1: If we're looking at things to poke at, it's a smidgelong I do question if you could have split it into two different movies and gotten a little bit more of him back in Ithaca at the end. I think everyone gives dynamite performances. I think you're gonna get tons of oscars here. I wish I saw it in the full seventy millimeter IMAX, but that might be too tough to ever get to in Rhode Island. Slash maybl see it with the Redding version. But I do feel like I'm kind of tightened it up a little bit. Just tighten it up just a little bit to get it closer to that two and a half hours. I know that the editor on this movie cut so much of what Nolan wanted to keep in just to get it to that, you know, three hour mark, and you can definitely you can feel the love that Nolan has for every frame of this movie. Yeah, but I do think we could have sharpened it up just a little bit. Agreed thirty eight Hot Dogs. Thirty eight dogs, because I did feel it a bit. I might be thirty seven dogs, all right, Yeah, I liked it a lot. I might be thirty six. I think within a little bit of time, I'm going to start to hover thirty six, thirty seven.
Speaker 2: I also think and he's just a victim of his own success.
Speaker 1: You're comparing it up against other Nolan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so in my mind, Christopher Nolan has three forty doggers. You have Oppenheimer for me. Inception, I'll give everyone the Dark Knight.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, victory for all of us.
Speaker 2: If Distellar has gone up for me over time, I really love that. I think you can argue Memento also a forty dogger. Yeah, this is weighed against that, and I for sure didn't like it as much as Inception. Maybe my favorite movie of all time. I liked Oppenheimer more than this too, too. I think this is Baseline a fantastic movie structurally the way it's made produced, YadA YadA, like Baseline one of the best movies ever made. However, because it's really long and it lacks some fun and it does, I did get fully taken out of the movie at one point. I can't give it forty and rewatchability is not there. So I was like, thirty eight thirty nine I am. It is a movie I would recommend to everyone despite its length, though I think I'm that thirty nine hot dogs. We'll talk about the Nolan Rushmore in a bit, I think you could argue it as the fourth on the Rushmore. I think there's a conversation between two or three movies four number four, But I think definitively as a podcast, we would say inception the Dark Knight in Oppenheimer our top three.
Speaker 1: Don't give away our Mountain Rushmores. Speaking of Nolan, remember in the All Star Game, maybe in nineteen ninety eight or ninety nine, Owen Nolan was going down the ice for a hat trick and he pointed to the top corner and then sniped it top chetta. Yeah, it's not Dominic Kashik too good.
Speaker 2: Let's spoilers, spilers, spilers, spoilers.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you what I asked Davy? And I tried to Google this as well, but Google, I'm gonna blame Google. I'm not gonna blame how I worded it. So we know in the movie that Odysseus is dealing with all this grief for what he has done, how he has changed the world. Zeus is law is completely out.
Speaker 2: Of it, which she reveals at the end in that monologue.
Speaker 1: Yes, that he is the people from the Sea. Yeah, I am questioning so he is on the island with uh Chalise Thorne cl So Calypso for so long, and he's trying to remember seven years and he's telling these stories about how, oh, we went to this island, we went to that island, we went to this and it's just him telling those stories. Do you believe that none of that stuff actually happened and he was just making excuses for why he had it made it home?
Speaker 2: No, I think that one hundred percent happened. And I think I mean Haiti or the I don't know if he's Hades, but the blind Hades guy tells you that the witch tells you is that might not have happened either. I mean, but so now you're getting too literal with it. I'm talking about Greek mythology, you know.
Speaker 1: So I'm allowed to interpret anything I want anyway.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent are If we weren't talking about Greek mythology, I would say, yeah, there's a conversation that we had there as to whether things happened or not. But we saw we saw literal cyclops in the movie Goose.
Speaker 1: I think he was so ashamed by what he did. He could have gotten home easily and He's like, no, a cyclop's got in the way. The King of the Sea was passed.
Speaker 2: He outright says go and Calypso comes to this realization.
Speaker 1: Calypso is not real either.
Speaker 2: His trauma was holding him back from fully needing to go home, getting home, wanting to go home, and so that's what he works through in the seven years there. Calypso influenced some of that, holding him there and held him back a bit, but then she also releases him set some feet.
Speaker 1: He made that up too, He made all of this.
Speaker 2: You're thinking too much about it.
Speaker 1: I am thinking, well, yeah, it's a three hour movie. I'm gonna think about it. The other thing that bothered me by so what I did is I put into Google. I'm like, in the Odyssey, yeah, does Odysseus make up all the stories? And Google said the Odyssey is a work of fiction. I'm like, I get that. I'm saying, like, in that work of nonfiction, is there any chance that none of this happened? And it's like, no, none of it happened.
Speaker 2: I would like to see you get it, Jim Roberts playing you in this sketch, No, I get it. What the other thing that bothered me by the eighty seventh time, Goo is when they brought up Zeus's law for the eighties seventh time, you need to live.
Speaker 1: No, you lived by something in law.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna run through the story here, stop me when you when you see fit. We open with uh, this sort of tease of the Trojan War and Odysseus simply not remembering what happened to him After the war. He's on an island with Calypso played by Shirley's third on Ithaca Uh. The kingdom in which he's essentially abandoned, is in disarray because of his absence. Suitors are courting his wife, the Queen Penelope, to ascend to the throne, and usurp Odysseus and Telemachus. The worst one of those suitors, the biggest bastard of them all, is Anthonys, played by Robert Pattinson, who once again plays a great bastard. There's also a great scene in here explaining who he is to a tea where he manipulates Sinnin to take his place among the ranks of the men going to fight for Troy and I Love Love Gou. It was so satisfying for Odysseus to flick that fucking wooden peg back at him.
Speaker 1: That was so sad when he first where'd you get that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was great. So that so he flicks the peg at him, and he doesn't kill Antonys for like another twenty five minutes. That's that. Yeah, that was where we were like, get there sitting, and that's where you're like, Okay, I think we could have done this a little quicker. Christopher Nolan Eumaeus is John Leguizamo. I think I'm saying that correctly. He has Odysseus's elderly dog, Argus, and I loved I loved the aspect of when Odysseus finally returns, Argos smells him get super happy dies. But then there's that great scene where Telemachus realizes this is my father, This is Odysseus. Telemachus travels to Sparta with Mentor, hoping to find out more information about his father. That's where we see John Bernhal's King Menelaus, who fought let me tell you something. Antonis is trying to seduce Penelope. He learns Telemachus is away, he plots with Polybus to kill Telemachus upon his return and divide Ithaca. Obviously, we see that plays out and awesome. That was a great scene too, with Odysseus is killing the shit out of all those nerds. Odysseus, with the aid of Calypso, starts remembering and recalling this journey after the Trojan War.
Speaker 1: He loves that flower.
Speaker 2: We learned that Odysseus is in fact the person who devised the Trojan Horse plan to solve and end that ten year war, and Sinnin, unbeknownst to Odysseus, is the one that ends up being the desert of the volunteered deserter to lie to the Trojans. And that's a nice emotional scene that comes up later as well. The ruse works. We see that cool scene. I thought the best shot of the movie was then opening that gate and Agamemnon is just standing there like that was and that would have definitely looked better than seventy milimeters because we would have seen that whole sort of front of the city. I love that. That was great. They retrieve Helen, Agamemnon and Menelaeus return home ahead of time. They're like, we're going right home. Odysseus is like, I got a better route. We're gonna see the world and we're gonna beat those motherfuckers home because he doesn't want to go home, and he has Zendeias Athena escorting him as well, and so Zendeia pops up throughout this movie as Athena, and she ends up at least this is what the Internet tells me, Goo, I don't know if the book is the same. She takes the form of a girl that Odysseus sees sees get beheaded during that siege of Troy, And I really liked that fact that it's like haunting him, and so that's the form he sees. I love that connection. Then we don't put that together until his final monologue there. So this is the first stop. Gu on their relaxed route home is at this island to gather supplies, and they see all these sheep and turns out the Cyclops is a sheep herder and he lives in this big ass cave and he's just eating these He's eating Odysseus's crew. This was like, this was annoying because number one, the Cyclops looked bizarre. Number Two, we had just gotten to like the best part of the movie, Like they see the seas of Troy happened, they were successful, and they sit on this voyage and they're just hanging out in a cave with the Cyclops. Yeah. I get it's part of the story, maybe an integral part of the story, and the cinematic form, it just didn't work for me.
Speaker 1: This. I believe we see this before they show most of the stuff with Troy, though I don't know if that's true. I'm not gonna argue with you.
Speaker 2: No, you might be right. We see them, we see that they're successful, we see that they're leaving the beaches of Troy, but we may not get the sweet scene yet. We get so after the whole Cyclops thing, they set out, but then just hug the coast and then they land on the island of once again. Aia aia. I don't know how the fuck you say this II where they get this savage tribe of like massive human type things. They kill a bunch more people, destroyed two of their bolts, and then they set off again. Hu hugged the the land and then.
Speaker 1: They beside in his pissed because the Cyclops is his kid.
Speaker 2: Yes, Cyclops is his son, and so now they make land again. This is where we meet Circe, who's a witch and she I don't it's unclear what her powers are other than turning people into animals. She turns Odysseus's crew, the whole lot of them into pigs. Odysseus, being the bright mind he is, figures out she's a witch, goes and has this pretty good conversation, pretty good tit for tack tennis match there, and that was pretty satisfying scene as well. When he she relents basically, but she tells him that he's the only one that's gonna make it home, and in order to figure out how to get home, he needs to go to Hades the underworld, and we get this really cool scene of like these sort of for lack of a better term, force ghosts that he could.
Speaker 1: Still interact with undead zombies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Tyresius tells him exactly how he needs to get home, and Odysseus is like, no, I'm gonna do pretty much anything but that. He's like, all right, fine, go for it, dude. So they try all that, and despite everything Odysseus tries, all his men die and in part because his second in command played by Jimesh Patel is like just fed up, like overly fed up. He's like sort of mutinying the crew. Here they eat they hungry, Yeah, they eat the cows on that island, and so they set out again. They all die. Odysseus crashes on to Charlis, theirn Suore, and this is where we get a little bit more of a halt in the story, because now it's like, okay, we're getting to the third act. Odysseus has to get back to Ithaca. We also get well. Back on Ithaca, Antonas and Polybus are like tormenting Eumaeus. He's getta kicked out of the castle. They go to kill like all his livestock. They're just fucking bastards, bastards. Odysseus finally makes it back to Ithaca. After he's remember what's happened to him. Calypso reveals she's been like feeding him the lotus flower so he doesn't remember stuff. When we get back in Ithaca, this final what forty minutes is phenomenal. It's so good.
Speaker 1: It felt like and once again I know this came first the Count of Monte Cristo.
Speaker 2: It was just first of all, I don't know he's been gone for what ten years? Feels like more people should have recognized him, but or his even his voice.
Speaker 1: So I think they made it more like it was twenty They made it closer to that, didn't they.
Speaker 2: Oh, the war was ten years. Actually, you're right, the war was ten years because.
Speaker 1: On that island toms Holland was three and then Tom Holland was seven by the end of the movie.
Speaker 2: He's right.
Speaker 1: That's what I wanted to bring up to the ages of these actors. Tom Holland is only I think thirteen years younger than Anne Hathaway. Did you know that.
Speaker 2: I think he's twenty nine and she's forty two.
Speaker 1: I think he's thirty.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, she's forty three.
Speaker 1: And then Robert Pattin said, I'm pretty sure is either the same age or a little bit older than Nan Hathaway. Wow, that was all my Google. All I did for Google is look up ages and argue about what was real and what's fake. Uh.
Speaker 2: The first thing Odysseus does when he gets back to Ithaca, he learns of this ploy to kill Telemachus. He goes and helps Telemachus. We lose mentor during it, but we get that great scene. He introduces himself to Telemachus as Sinnon, you know, paying homage to Elliott Page's character, and for the next twenty to twenty five minutes, Telemachus has no idea. He's just hanging with his father to asking questions about his father. So that was kind of fun. That was maybe the most fun had in the movie. And then we get to the scene inside the temple or the castle where Odysseus essentially gives his monologue and has his come up, and he talks to Penelope and tells her take a new suitor. I've talked to your husband. You know, he would want you to do this, and we learn, you know, he's he's basically paid for his and by doing so, he actually enacts this ploy to trap all the shooters inside this throne room, and the only weapon in there is going to be his bow, and he's the only one that can string it. So when it was happening in real time, I wasn't quite putting that together, and then I was like, uh ah, this is great, this is a nice ploy. I like this, this is great.
Speaker 1: I did like watching all those needle dicks try and string the bow. Do you think he could string the bow. Now, do you think you could shoot through me? I've oh, definitely not. I have never strung a bow or shot a bow and arrow. So okay as someone stepping on there as a virgin, fucking raw No, I don't think I could. Like if she said, if she said, the challenge is this, I would say, can we do literally anything else?
Speaker 2: Cuts to it's the jiff of the Game of Thrones. You're just jumping out the window.
Speaker 1: I'm just stepping out of the window. I'm like, I don't know how to do any of this. And if there was a challenge for you to become king, what would you want the challenge to be.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. What am I best at?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think I could arch Well, I don't think I could string the bow, but the archery part, I think I could do.
Speaker 1: What you understand too, arch You would need to string.
Speaker 2: That right, No, that I'm saying. But if I were able to steal it from Odysseus, maybe I could bow at mac guy or.
Speaker 1: Take string the bow and be like it's on there, and then he'd like kind of throw the arrow with his hand. What could I do to become king? Baffled right now?
Speaker 2: When he finally strings the bow, shoots the arrow or everyone's like, oh shit, it's Odysseus, and Penelopee like lets him do his thing. She's like at that point, she's gotta know, but she just lets him murk everyone.
Speaker 1: Oh She's gotta be soaked at that.
Speaker 2: You also get this, uh, finally Telemachus gets his like his manhood scene where he kills Melanthos or Melantho, whatever the fuck his name is, who was pretty good Logan Marshall Green he was a good bastard as well, and then the swords drop down, they dropping the weapons of the ceiling. I did like that. The final come up in of Antonis, though, when Odysseus has him soret to throat is great. It's great. And I also like Gou during the slaughter that guys just start kneeling because they're like, you know what, this is the king. I'm good, I don't need to get murked. I'm all set. This is fun. So you get this final scene, and this is where not knowing the story helped Gou, because you think for a second Odysseus is dying in Penelope's arms, but mission accomplice, right, and so then we kind of fade to black, but we cut back open to He always said he was gonna go west to honor his men, and Telemachus is now the king, he's been crowned, and Penelope goes with Odysseus off's west to honor the men. And I thought it was great. I thought it was a great ending. And I think it would have been maybe more Shakespearean for him to die at the end of the movie here, But you know what shakespeare it was. It was. That's why I'm saying Shakespearean. You know, Odysseus would have died at the end there in Penelope's arms. But I liked it. I liked the end that he reunites with Penelope and he did what he said he was gonna do. Telemachus is in charge, they set west. We get a happy ending, and I'm okay with that. I think some people might be upset with that, but I enjoyed the shit out of it.
Speaker 1: I'm so embarrassed, and I can't think of anything good I can do, like one thing that I might be able to do better than anybody else. I don't have anything you know what, driving a golf ball.
Speaker 2: If it was suiting at a golf ball furthest and I wasn't with any pros, I'd have a chance.
Speaker 1: As long as there's no pros or anyone back.
Speaker 2: Woods is here, I'm losing. But other than that, oh.
Speaker 1: Shit, I'd lose that too.
Speaker 2: What can I do? Uh? You know what?
Speaker 1: If they said, Okay, we're gonna set up at third base and we're gonna throw a ball to first base. Whoever can scoop the ball the best, I have a chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, yeah, okay, I'll give you.
Speaker 1: That soft ass hands. I'll give you that anat that he starts winding up and throwing balls over the first So that's the honesty.
Speaker 2: That's the honesty as told by two morons. Let's get into.
Speaker 1: Mac Sack and Mac sac could be anything. It could be ABOUTE and Mac. We have teased this all episode and you have already kind of said, what the answer is? Give me your mount rushmore of Christopher Nolan movies.
Speaker 2: We'll do a quick question. Actually, now that we're talking about where did dog score it fell? Do you have obsession higher than this?
Speaker 1: I kind of do, but I'd be okay, with that. So my thing with Obsession is I love the pacing, I love how fresh it feels, and I also love like the cut and run tape together feel a completely different movie.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good conversation. I think they're the two best movies of the year.
Speaker 1: And also like I love the converse of this costs two hundred and fifty million dollars to make the other one cost less than a million.
Speaker 2: I have Obsession at thirty eight, I have This at thirty nine. I think it's a good conversation.
Speaker 1: And also, no one told me that I had to watch Obsession on a different kind of screen.
Speaker 2: Agude the Mount Rushmore of Christopher Nolan movies. I have Inception firmly on there, Oppenheimer firmly on there. I for its cultural impact, I have to put The Dark un down there. You can be you what I would rather watch more Right now, I'd rather rewatch Interstellar or Memento over The Dark Knight.
Speaker 1: Okay, if I'm being fair, I think I just figured it out. How would Mac become king? If the queen says, who loves the Dark Knight? And everyone raises their hand, but Mac, she goes, Okay, you're the only one you don't love the Dark Knight.
Speaker 2: I was confused by Tenant.
Speaker 1: Everyone raised their hands. Mac goes, but I like the fire Truck though.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna leave the Dark Knight on there. I'm gonna put Memento on there as well. This so before this, so this is now in the conversation for the fourth spot with Memento and Interstellar. To me, Interstellar, I don't have it forty either. Memento might be. I haven't watched Memento it in a while. Maybe I'll rewatch Momento and get back to you. But I think that's the conversation for the fourth spot, Memento Interstellar in the Odyssey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I have Dark Knight Oppenheimer inception, and then I think you can argue this. I don't want to go Batman begins on the list with the Dark Knight. I don't want to go two Batman movies because, let's be honest, Nolan kind of reinvented what the superhero genre was with the Dark Knight. Yeah, you know, getting so grounded. The prestige is great and Memento is great, but I don't know. I guess i'll put this for now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it might be this, It might be this. You aren't considering Interstellar at all. Huh No, I think Interstellar has aged really well.
Speaker 1: Now I will say too, so inceptions not forty hot dog movie for me? What did they give it thirty eight? When we tell you how many?
Speaker 2: How so you have the Dark Knight and Force is forty? Okay?
Speaker 1: Yes, because I am curious if we stacked up mount Rushmore's of different directors, I think his might be up there with almost anybody as like on average a thirty nine, thirty eight and a half or something.
Speaker 2: I think it's him and ville Neuve that's the two.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm talking like even if you're just talking top four, Spielberg is going to be on there.
Speaker 2: You want to do top four top fours a Mount Rushmore top fours for directors, So who's who's who's the fourth? If we put ville Neuve and no One.
Speaker 1: Ridley Scott has a really good top four. Rob Reiner, Oh, Rob Reiners. His fours are awesome too. And what I appreciate about his top four and you can make the argument for like seven or eight of his movies they're all different. Yeah, his range is fucking crazy phenom range.
Speaker 2: Although So if you're talking range, Spielberg's up there. I wouldn't put ville Neuve up there for Range, but range would probably be Spielberg or Nolan and maybe Ryaner.
Speaker 1: But even with Nolan though he does have his common themes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you can do fucking The Odyssey and The Dark Knight like that's I don't know if anyone else can do that.
Speaker 1: Oh, Quentin Tarantino, Oh, Tarantino. Tarantino might have four forties. Tarantino, So Tarantino might be.
Speaker 2: Tarantino might be number one.
Speaker 1: Stanley Kubrick ever hear of him? Yeah, David Fincher.
Speaker 2: Kubrick's best directorial is The Fake Moonland, Peter Jackson. They not there.
Speaker 1: Sam Mendes.
Speaker 2: Mendes has a couple of great ones.
Speaker 1: Charlie Chaplin, No gonna be out on that one. What you're on, Charlie Chaplin. H Wes Anderson.
Speaker 2: Wes Anderson has two of my favorite movies ever.
Speaker 1: Oh, James Cameron. James Cameron might have.
Speaker 2: Cameron's a good one.
Speaker 1: Might have four forties somewhere in there.
Speaker 2: He's got two.
Speaker 1: Well, he's got Aliens Terminator too.
Speaker 2: No my stance on Aliens too. Two I'll give it to you.
Speaker 1: Titanic rules.
Speaker 2: Titanic is great. It's not a forty though.
Speaker 1: First Avatar is blue.
Speaker 2: If you want to talk impact, it might be Cameron and Spielberg.
Speaker 1: All these guys do certain things that change the way people started making movies known for we should do it by what they're known for on IMDb, because Cameron is known for being a writer on Avatar The Way of Water, not for creating.
Speaker 2: No, that's how I with the world.
Speaker 1: He's got some good movies. Do you ever hear of these movies?
Speaker 2: By the way, if you're still listening to the true send us your Nolan Rushmore. Try to limit yourself to one one of the Batman movies.
Speaker 1: Well, send us your Nolan mount Rushmore. But then send us your Mount Rushmore of director's Mount Rushmore's. Yeah, but also keep the So we need sixteen movies.
Speaker 2: That can do it. No, you don't have to put the movies. Well, I guess you can. I guess you can.
Speaker 1: But you guys, you need their top four. It can't just be the aggregate of all of their movies. If we did that, then things are way different. Just that's no, it isn't. It might be though we're running out of ideas. Oh yeah, I put on our on our draft list. I have a Google doc of all of our dumb drafts. I put dreams on there.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got some weird ones. Also, dream is in a lot of movies and words. All right, dream a little Dream, Sweetheart, dream dream on Okay, DreamCatcher, Dream Warriors, Dream the band Ooh that's a good one. Yeah, we're gonna we're gonna dream it up. That's in our next one, the game song Dreams Banger.
Speaker 2: Martin Luther King had a dream Maria had.
Speaker 1: Now we can't put the word nightmare because that's a kind of a dream, but it's not dream.
Speaker 2: I think some people would delineate between nightmares and dreams. No, but I'm saying if it's a movie, nightmare, bad dream. If a movie has nightmare in the title, it doesn't count. But if you're counting one of your dreams that just so happens to be a nightmare, then it is a dream. Like Shime's dream where he was gonna get axe murdered. That's a dream. Martin Luther King had a dream where I had a dream left eye had it.
Speaker 1: I had that dream one time when the When the Devil came and spoke to me.
Speaker 2: I want to listen to that song. So let's wrap it up.
Speaker 1: Okay, where can the people find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Twitter and Instagram, at Mac and gooo podcast. Every other platform it's Mac, am person and Goo, Max Shift seven, Goo, then Facebook, Situt, Tuning, cast Works, Google Play. We're on Spotify. More importantly, Apple Podcasts. Get on there, rate review, subscribe five stars. If you do that, we maybe one day we'll get your free T shirt for the folks over at Watchtown Sports where watchoime sportswear thirty four Auber Street in Watertown, Watchtown Sports, war dot com expert screenprinting and embroidery.
Speaker 1: Teapublic dot com merch.
Speaker 2: Also, if you're wondering because some I've seen two comments about because you make a big stink about Watchtown Sports where the owner of the store is go and I's high school hockey coach, so he was kind to us way back.
Speaker 1: Glen so we're paying it for says here that the three most common dreams are flying or soaring.
Speaker 2: We're so ovn fly in.
Speaker 1: This usually represents freedom or ambition.
Speaker 2: I don't think i've ever.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, though I've never felt freedom.
Speaker 2: I've had a lot of sexual dreams in my day, a lot. Yeah, I've ruined a lot of sheets because you shit your pants, right, that's how I have sex.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna shit. Being chased often points to dodging responsibilities or unresolved fears.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I've had chase dreams, I don't recall them.
Speaker 1: And then losing teeth.
Speaker 2: Never had that one.
Speaker 1: I've never dreamt about losing teeth. I dream often about It's either a day of school.
Speaker 2: Do you have really mundane dreams? Or I have a.
Speaker 1: Sporting event and I forget one of my equipment or something in my backpack and then I can't participate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds like a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: And everyone, they were all they were all so excited to have me there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you only got one shoe.
Speaker 1: They're all relying on me. I didn't bring a pencil to class.
Speaker 2: Here comes old one shoe. Goo.
Speaker 1: I didn't bring one of my goalie pads. I can't play.
Speaker 2: Here comes old one pad. Check.
Speaker 1: What does that one mean? You know, we'll look it up, we'll talk about it in news dump. Sure, I think it means I'm not a reliable person. My guess Tuesdays or newsdays. I have used kangaroos, Damn Burton.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's done. For girls jumping on trampolines Zuki zuki, zuki, zuki Oi