Speaker 1: This is off season Dodger Talk. Get in on the show by calling eight six six hashtag Dodger Talk and now your host, David Massey, Welcome to Dodger Talk, a very special edition. We are on the road, a one man band, as they like to say, and we are in parts unknown in central California, live from a cottage that Brad Paisley owns, and somehow, some way I am here with Brad and we are live on Instagram Live and five seventy LA Sports Edition. Brad, Happy New Year and thank you for inviting me over.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year, David. So, this feels like we're up to a pretty good start with the acquisitions and everything else, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Yes, something before we get to that, did you really believe I would accept your offer to have Dodger Talk from your place out here?
Speaker 2: Definitely? I thought there's probably no way and keep you away.
Speaker 1: Well, it feels like you're you have some level of regret that I accepted.
Speaker 2: I definitely have regretted it ever since you walked it. You But we'll see, maybe it goes well.
Speaker 1: I'll be surprised, Okay, will you be? Are you as surprised that I showed up? As you were that the Dodgers were able to pull off the signing for Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 2: I was really surprised by that. I was not at all surprised that you were able to come up here. I think you probably cleared your schedule on that. But no, it's like the uh.
Speaker 1: I drove from El Segundo.
Speaker 2: Oh really? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I was at the Sports Net LA studios.
Speaker 2: And what were you doing down there?
Speaker 1: You were just I taped episode of Access Sportsnet Dodgers.
Speaker 2: What can we look forward to in that up?
Speaker 1: It already aired? Oh, it aired an hour ago.
Speaker 2: And then I taped it. Yeah, I literally have sports Net. Any new program that that airs about the Dodgers on Sportsnet, it goes right in the DVR.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, we talked about Kyle Tucker's lineup spot, which you and I will get into later. But you saw Andrew Friedman at your concert for Alta Dina. Yeah, maybe a week before Tucker signed.
Speaker 2: So he he lives not too far away from where the fires were the worst over there, and and so he came to hang out at the concert. It was great to have him and Robin and and the guys and Dawes were psyched to to get to meet Andrew as well. And it was so funny because I watched Griff the drummer from Dawes, just start to grill him on whose back, who's not And the first thing he said to him was was tell me you kept Rotvett And he's like, no, we messed whatever.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but no mention of Kyle Tucker a week before they signed Tucker, No interesting, any hint that he had something on his mind.
Speaker 2: He definitely always looks like he's got something on his mind. So I was truly shocked by that, But I also didn't pry too much. I kind of want to, you know, I give him a little bit of space when it comes to that stuff. It's like, I definitely throw in if I have a chance to throw my two cents in, I do, just like the rest of you listening. Yes, yes, But at the same time, who am I to say anything to the greatest executive in.
Speaker 1: All of sports, Andrew Friedman? Hard to argue, hard to.
Speaker 2: Argue, really believe that. I mean, we're talking about somebody that has built a dynasty here that is, and I say dynasty, and everybody's like the verdicts out of a dynasty. Are you kidding me? There's no verdict out. Yeah, it's a dynasty, don't you think.
Speaker 1: I feel like the dynasty even started before twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Twenty seventeen should have been a winning World Series in my opinion, And so if you were to think of it that way, it's like, here's twenty seventeen, we go back in twenty eighteen. We didn't win that, but that's okay now that we think about it. We went in twenty twenty, you know, and then you went twenty four and twenty five, and we have a really good chance at this year. It's obviously still.
Speaker 1: Got to be played.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's the kind of stuff that teams dream of. As a lifelong Cleveland Browns fan. Oh gosh, you know what I'm saying. Yes, no, it's I have no idea. This is the first time I've had this feeling as a sports fan.
Speaker 1: Well, you've been a Dodger fan for over twenty five years, so you have seen the O'Malley sell to Fox Fox, then sell to Frank McCourt. It was only fifteen years ago, yeah, that the Dodgers were not what the Dodgers are right now. And I feel like we have forgotten that pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: I read this great article about the TV deal, the TV rights deal that allowed a lot of this to happen. I think, although I don't know how much of it was accurate, but but if the McCourt deal did anything for us, it's set that up. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the TV deal is a big deal, not as big as the radio deal.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, you know, along with the radio deal, they wound up with a couple of guys that, in my opinion, are sort of, you know, a little bit of dead weight.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we're doubt we're talking about the same ones.
Speaker 1: But it's fine, Yeah, yeah, it's fine. Well just it doesn't need to be said.
Speaker 2: No, no, but no, it's but that deal and all of the you know, I don't really understand all of that, the kind of ins and outs of sports ownership or any of that, but the idea of the smart way that this front office has gone out. And look, so many of the players that we've grown to know and love. You had you had Chris Taylor on a few days ago, you know, Joe Kelly, these guys they were you know, I guess Joe Kelly was expected, he was already Joe Kelly. But but guys like Chris Taylor and MUNKSI and these guys that, yeah, and you know, and then bringing up Bellinger and Seeger and these guys we have built like that's part of the dynasty. You know, a few of those guys aren't with us anymore, but they led to this dynasty and it just shows you that, I don't know, there's some there's some voodoo magic this front off sense.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought up those guys, Seeger, Bellinger, justin Turner, Chris Taylor because obviously Andrew Friedman has Turner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, that is a key.
Speaker 1: That's your guy. How could you forget?
Speaker 2: And I love him even though he is on a beach somewhere and refusing to call in right now. Yeah, but it's like it really, it really is a special group.
Speaker 1: I talked to Farahan during the World Series and a few other people around the organization that's been here since Andrew took over from Neck Coletti, and we all agree that there are different chapters to this, to this run that started in twenty fifteen, and I'm glad, I'm glad that that you brought up those guys because it still feels like we all still have an emotional attachment to those twenty seventeen Dodgers, to the guys that were still there in twenty twenty. Yeah, that was a special group of players.
Speaker 2: I've got a twenty seventeen World Series sweatshirt that says twenty you know, Dodgers, twenty seventeen World Series and then I wrote in white paint champions Nice.
Speaker 1: I like that, And my dream is to have a reunion of those guys in Vegas one day.
Speaker 2: Let's do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to have those guys back because they Brandon Morrow, he pitched in every single game of that World Series.
Speaker 2: That he was really something.
Speaker 1: Some of the unsung heroes like Kent to my Ada as well, those guys Hill, Yeah, yeah, Rich Hill. I mean for a lot of guys, Chase Utley, Andre Ethier, Rich Hill, that was their last chance at winning a World Series.
Speaker 2: It really was now that you think about it wasn't it.
Speaker 1: And the Astros completely changed that. But can we not talk about that. Let's switch gears here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to talk about that.
Speaker 1: And phone lines are open eight six six nine seven two five seventy. If you have a baseball related question for Brad Paisley, he is up to the test or for trust me, David, and I'll allow you to hang up on somebody if you don't like.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to be a jerk the way you are to these poor people that call in and they have to hear your you rate their opinions.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you what I told Fernando Vealezuela, the late great Fernando. Eventually, I will always hang up on you because the call cannot go on forever.
Speaker 2: That's really a good point.
Speaker 1: So that's the way I look at it. Sometimes you get hung up on a little quicker. Other times you get a little bit of a leash. Okay, all right, h Kyle Tucker, We've talked about this. We talked about it on sportsnet LA. Dave Roberts at the press conference said he is going to hit Tucker second or third in the Dodger lineup. I'm a believer Tucker's hitting second because he can handle lefties and you need somebody to protect Otani. How would you write out the Dodger lineup by the way, first class problems?
Speaker 2: No kidding, Yeah, it's like it had. Had Pa has made the All Star team last year, you might have an entire All Star. Yeah right, yeah, Tommy edn't have never been an All Star.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. But a Gold Glove winner close enough. Yeah, I agree, I think you will be. I agree that.
Speaker 2: So, boy, I say.
Speaker 1: Give the first five. With the first five, we'll watch.
Speaker 2: The phone lines light up. Yeah, I say all these I think. I mean, if if you're going to stick with Otani first, which part of me still wonders, how many runs he drives in a little later, you know, the second or third himself.
Speaker 1: That's a fair question that other people believe should have happened, even on the days that he's pitching. Don't lead off hits second or third, and you got more guys on base to drive in.
Speaker 2: So I would say it's either Otani, Tocker, BET's Freeman.
Speaker 1: Bets sitting third, Freddy cleanup, Taoscar Wait, Mante.
Speaker 2: You didn't, you're so you took this over already you already.
Speaker 1: I'm just laying it out. I'm laying it out. Think about it like we're on the Peacock Network. ABC. They got the lineup right next to your face. Here we go, we got Otani, Tucker Betts, who's sitting clean up?
Speaker 2: I guess Freeman Freddie hitting those two lefties. But but Tucker's got reverse splits.
Speaker 1: Yes, he can hit handle lefties. And then it's Will Smith hitting fifth behind Freddy's. And then do you have Mounsey hitting sixth?
Speaker 2: You could? I mean it depends like if you're facing a lefty heavy team.
Speaker 1: Let's say this is a right handed starter on the mound. Okay, Logan Webb of the Giants facing the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, absolutely, So then it's Smith, uh, and then after Smith, you go to Munsey, and then you go to Tao, and then you go to who. By the way, I'm with you. I think he's gonna have big time, recurrent, big year. Yeah, he's coming back.
Speaker 1: He's in the lab.
Speaker 2: This will be one of the one of the possible comeback players. H So Teo Pa has and then you put Edmund ninth because I feel like Edmund is the type of guy that leads almost as a leadoff hitter if you want him to be in some ways, but putting him ninth gives him one lesson bat, which is okay, he's going to be asked to do a lot this year.
Speaker 1: I bet well the ninth spot now is essentially a second leadoffs that's what I think. Gavin Lux was so good at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah twenty four yep, and Tommy can be that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Miguel Rojas could be that.
Speaker 2: Miguel will be in there probably for a while. Yeah, off and on, and that guy what a hero and legend and I'm so happy for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a guy that basically could have packed it in, did not start a game until Game six of the World Series, and played how does his fingerprints all over Game six and Game seven to win it well?
Speaker 2: And that what an amazing move from Doc to to instinctively say I'm gonna go with him in spite of some numbers. Honestly, like there their statisticians would have maybe said, I don't know on a couple of those things. And to know that he's going to change the game as a leader, and and by the way in the field he changed it a couple of times. And then there's obviously his home run, which was strangely like I had this feeling right before he hit it, did you.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know what I did not have o'ki.
Speaker 2: Did I was shocked, but I kind of did.
Speaker 1: I love it. What was that feeling.
Speaker 2: The feeling was he was going to get a hit, I hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, he was going to find a way to get on for Otani, right, but not a home run. No first home run against the right handed pitcher all season long.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: And that was Jeff Hoffman. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. We have phone lines open if you want to talk to Brad Paisley about Dodger baseball. We are going to take a time out. We're gonna get your phone calls. We are going to share Joe Kelly again at the bottom of the hour. And since Brad Paisley talked about his gut in Game seven, we had a caller earlier this week that claimed he was at the same bar as Brad Paisley in Santa Barbara for Game seven. We are going to share that call with Brad and he is going to let us know if that was true or if this guy was just making up stories about our guy, Brad Paisley. More Dodger Talk from Parts Unknown with the Grand old opry Man himself. Brad Paisley right here on five seventy LA Sports and on five seventy LA Sports Instagram Live. What is this?
Speaker 2: It's my instrumental off of time always.
Speaker 1: Of course it is. I knew that.
Speaker 2: No you didn't.
Speaker 1: Brad Paisley is our guest.
Speaker 2: I have an entire catalog you've yet to discover.
Speaker 1: That's true. I can't lie. I you know, since I got to know you, you've put out some awesome songs that I do enjoy. Listen driving up here, Thank you Central Coast. You know I sang you know I would just burst out in song to Clayton Kershaw. Yes, you would see if that truck still works.
Speaker 2: The ballad of Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 1: Do you want to get a guitar and sing it? We could sing it together. We could create something here tonight.
Speaker 2: I don't think these people don't want to hear any of that. They're listening to hear wisdom from the great David Besse.
Speaker 1: And Brad Paisley.
Speaker 2: We do something.
Speaker 1: We have two lines open, so we're gonna get to your phone calls in a moment, so you could talk to super Dodger fan and a man that made the Tyler glass now trade come together, Brad Paisley but you mentioned Game seven of the World Series. You said you had that feeling for Miguel Rojas to hit that home run. We had a caller, caller Sheldon, a few nights ago, call in and at the end and of his humble brag phone call, he said that he was at the same bar as you watching the Dodgers beat the Blue Jays in game seven. Listen to this call and let us know if Sheldon was legit or if he was, you know, just making things up.
Speaker 3: And it's a fun fact. Game seven. I was watching the game at a bar here in Santa Barbara, right next to Brad Paisley. And that guy knows ball. He loves to talk about the Dodgers, and he was a great guy to watch the game with.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 2: Well, that's cool, I know exactly. I think who that is. And uh so that's a legit story most likely. Yeah, I mean obviously had he given a few more details, but no, I was. I was at a bar in Santa Barbara watching Game seven. I wanted to go. I took I took a couple of family members down there. I wanted to go see it with people, you know, And unfortunately, the first three innings were the worst.
Speaker 1: Right, and after Bob Bashett hit that three around home run.
Speaker 2: Oh it was brutal, but these were great guys. Him and his family was really really cool and accommodating and said he'd been to a couple of concerts and yeah, okay, they were great. I wish that. And it's funny because when the game ended, we had wandered off and gone to a couple other places, and I went back there hoping to high five of them, and they weren't there anymore. So, Sheldon, if you're around, we need to get a selfie one of these days, wearing Dodger jerseys.
Speaker 1: Man of the People, Brad Paisley watching Game seven of the World Series and coming up at the bottom of the hour. We do have a pair of passes for tomorrow's inside the Locker Room presented by Verizon with Miguel Rojas, and if you can make it at four o'clock tomorrow in Burbank, we will let you know how you can win those tickets. So can you just describe the scene and describe Brad Paisley at the end of Game seven in this random bar in Santa Barbara.
Speaker 2: Well, so it basically we walked around. We weren't in that bar by the end, as you know. That was that was a That game took a while too, even though it was a nine any game, it was it was eleven game any game. By then we had moved around like we had gone to I went down to another bar, bar hopped a bar hopped because honestly, I needed to change the energy, ye know, yeah, like change your seat. So we did a bit a bunch of that, and then we by the time the game was over, I took Jasper, my youngest son, and we hit State Street in Santa Barbara just to run up and down it and go like see the because one of my favorite memories with my oldest son, Huck, was after we beat the Giants when that was the year that we used surez Aer in relief game five, yep.
Speaker 1: And that's when he made us believe he was that guy.
Speaker 2: So I took I took Huck down to State Street and that was amazing, like watching the celebration on one of these because State Streets really where all the college bars are in Santa Barbara.
Speaker 1: So what was State Street like after game seven?
Speaker 2: Amazing? And it was funny because I took Jasper down to the lower part where all of the college bars are, and he he flipped out and he was like, where is this? He didn't recognize it. Funk zone, He thought, is there just a party section of this town?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the whole town.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: UCSB is a party school.
Speaker 2: It is no doubt. And then the other fun thing was there's this cigar store. I love lea havana something.
Speaker 1: Do you want to give it away? People now will try to.
Speaker 2: They need, Yeah, they can use there. They find me there. They show the games in the bar. And so I had been in there earlier in the day and talked to a guy named Alex Black, who's one of the guys that works there, is a friend of mine, and and I was like, what do you think? And it's always just you just talk about the Dodgers here, you know, And so he was like, we were talking about whether we're gonna win this or not, and we had a real chance on Game seven and all that. So we walked in there and the place as soon as I walked in, I threw my hands up and they went nuts. And it was really because I hadn't seen them. I know, it wasn't that day because I hadn't really seen them since I had done the anthem, so it.
Speaker 1: Was really awesome. Yes, and that was.
Speaker 2: Really neat to go in there and see like a big celebration and everybody just taking photos of each other in that moment, because you know, we all want these memories.
Speaker 1: We haven't talked on the show since the Dodgers won the World Series. You haven't shared that story, so that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really fun because everybody has a story always, and you know, getting to go down and see this with other Dodger fans. Another favorite memory I have is at a bar in New York City during the playoffs when Otani had his three home run and ten strikeout.
Speaker 1: Game four the NLCS against the Brewers. You were in the Big Apple.
Speaker 2: So I watched it at a bar called Monk mcgin's in Tribeca. That's a it's a Irish pub. It's the perfect place to have seen the greatest baseball game ever played by I think a player in the in the postseason, right.
Speaker 1: I pushed back on that. I say it's one of the greatest. It is one of the greatest. No one's ever done that, No one ever has done that. That's true. But Otani has never done with some others.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, but I think think about this.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna say no, but I'm just saying it's top You can't definitively say it was. The Dodgers were up three to zero in the series. He did hit three home runs and have ten strikeouts. Oral Herscheizer in Game two of the eighty eight World Series had an incredible game.
Speaker 2: They did for sure out hit the.
Speaker 1: Bash Brothers in the World Series and through a complete game. So Bob Gibson hit a home run and pitched a complete game, so it had I mean, there's been really good games, and I would put that in the grouping. Okay, top three at least, how about that? Can we agree top three? Ever in the playoffs? Okay, there's people that want to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, and uh well, to finish my point on the New York things, watching New Yorkers.
Speaker 1: We got, we get. We we love to hate each other, we love to disagree with each other.
Speaker 2: Opinionated David dang it the no. But it's funny because watching New Yorkers sit there, their jaws were on the floor watching this marvel of you know, mother nature. Pitch hit by the second home run. I mean, everyone in that bar was like, the bar was silent in New York City. None of them were Dodger fans but me. And then he walks up there hits the third home run and they it's like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was great, It was It was fun to watch other sportsman appreciate him.
Speaker 1: And the size of the home runs. Mammoth home runs over the pavilion. I feel like that is the shock in awe that we all felt during that game. I was actually going to vote for Blake Snell for NLCSMVP until that game.
Speaker 2: You know what, I would have absolutely agreed with that, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he set the tone in the Philly series, the Brewers series, but when he had when you have a guy have that type of game, it's it lights out. YEP eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Brad Paisley has not kicked me out yet, so let's get to the phone calls before he does. Anthony and home Bolt County. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse and special guest Brad Paisley.
Speaker 4: Hey, Hey, good even gentlemen, how's it going.
Speaker 2: We're having a ball. How about you? You good?
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, I'm on my way home from work, and I just wanted to say I've listened to Pegs in money and submit two thousands, and I know that. I say, you're a key part of that. And you branched out to your Dodger talk and your daughter's insider and all that. I respect you guys, man, you guys are the best. And I listened to, Uh, I grew up in southern Calfinre, I grew up in Ventura. Man, he's going to Dodger games all the time, you know, And uh, what does that have.
Speaker 1: To do with Brad Paisley.
Speaker 2: He's there, David, let him finish.
Speaker 4: I was gonna I was gonna ask. I was gonna ask, is what you guys thought? But mister Paisley thought about the Dodgers pitching and also and then he's got the bats. He's got the bats. But I also wanted to ask what it thinks about said George Sanders, because Browns.
Speaker 1: Wow, he is really branching out here. All right, that's good Brad Paisley knowledge right there, Anthony. I was a little concerned when you started with Petros and money. All right, am I allowed to hang up on him right now, Brad, don't. I'll just put them on hold, all right. We might need his opinion, Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 2: See I'm saving you people from this jerk the h I think that uh to just touch on street door because nobody wanted to hear about this tonight. But it's funny. Stephen A. Smith said that they should hire Sam his dad as the coach Dion.
Speaker 1: That would be wild as well as the Browns.
Speaker 2: I mean, we can't. We could do way worse and might and you have and have and will and so yeah, who knows. But okay, so uh back to the Dodgers. I feel like, you know, uh.
Speaker 1: What was this question the lineup?
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, no, I kind of disagree when he says, I know we have the bats, but what do I think of the pitching? I kind of think it's the other way around. I think the Bats have some questions as far as we can't hit the slump we hit last year and from the second half on and and so I feel like it's going to be We're gonna know right away what Ale Tucker's edition meant, because, as you know, adding one little Domino to this chain changes everything about the way that guy's pitch to Otani or Bets or Freeman or or will Smith or anybody. So as far as pitching goes between David's uh, well, he claims to have been the reason that we have the incredible Blake Snell.
Speaker 1: I've never claimed that it was only at a caveat.
Speaker 2: Anyway between his friendship with with Snell as long as he doesn't like, you know, Janksim or anything.
Speaker 1: I sent you the voicemail because I was facetiming with Snell Zilla today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a great guy, but I think I think that I can't believe he's even even signed. You're having to put up with you the I think him and and obviously Yamamoto, and then you've got Otani and then Glass Now I think you know everybody after that, from Suzaki to to she into Stone. It's just it's just a matter of like it could be the greatest rotation we've scene as is, And I don't worry about the pitching as far as like the bullpen goes, that's different every year.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna blow your mind about the Dodger bullpen. Okay, Edwin Diaz is going to be Edwin Diaz. The Dodgers will have Alex Vesia back. They are going to have Bruce Starr Graderol back. Really, and could you imagine if Tanner Scott goes back to being Tanner Scott all of a sudden, you're shortening the game to basically a six inning game. You better have a lead on the Dodgers. Yeah, for six innings.
Speaker 2: Tanner Scott was signed to be a closer. He had his troubles and some injuries, and so if he's ever back to being an actual closer in caliber, holy crap, we have two closers.
Speaker 1: Holy crap, really, really, holy crap.
Speaker 2: Oh man, who's famous for saying that.
Speaker 1: Bob in Malibu, loyal Dodger talk listener, you're on with David Vasse and Brad Paisley. How you doing, Bob?
Speaker 3: I'm doing good now. You guys do it tonight over there. Sounds like you guys are having a good time.
Speaker 2: We really are, in spite of the fact that this was probably a huge mistake.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness your friends are here, Kendall and Zach, because if they weren't here, the vibe would be very much different. Definitely, I kind of liked.
Speaker 4: Them more Dunia. I did like l Brad Dodge playing the.
Speaker 3: Song with Dave. That was smooth. Man got out of that one.
Speaker 4: I did like that.
Speaker 2: None of you all want to hear that crap. You're here to let's talk baseball, right, That's.
Speaker 1: Why Brad likes me. I don't even know any of his music. I didn't even know he's a musician.
Speaker 4: Day.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure you have your demo tape in your pocket. You slipped it to him at some point.
Speaker 1: Pretty sure he does. All right, Bob, go ahead, what do you want to say?
Speaker 3: I want to ask Brad a question.
Speaker 4: So, Brad, you know we've all had the pleasure of seeing do the national anthem a couple times during the postseason through the years.
Speaker 3: Any year stand out to you as one of your favorites more than the others?
Speaker 2: Well, this year was wild. I mean so singing at the twenty eighteen game, I thought that would be history when it went eighteen and we finally won that it's the only game we won against the Red Sox, and I felt pretty good about the fact that, Like, as a person who thinks very hard about the Jinx thing, it's like I was glad to have that we won the game, I sang, and also it was like, okay, cool, I'm kind of a footnote in the record books with eighteen innings. That's pretty neat. So I didn't think anything and I still don't think it topped it, and I didn't think anything would top Game one against the Yankees, singing that anthem and sitting there. There's a picture of me and my wife in the suite right before he hits the home run. A friend of ours took it and I look like I have the flu because I just feel like we're gonna It's like, tell me, we're gonna tie this, and we're gonna win this game, you know. And the next thing you know, it's that, it's you know, we win the game with the walk off grand slam. It's the greatest swing of emotion I've ever felt, because I felt because you really it's weird, but you feel some pressure as the anthem singer. It's the difference between the next I went to Game two and everyone high five me, good job.
Speaker 1: That's like you had something to do with the outcome.
Speaker 2: And if it's the difference between that and man, you're a jinx, don't ever come back again exactly. I actually thought, just from a fans point of view, I've told you this before. My favorite rendition of the national anthem you've performed was the first game back after the pandemic when they allowed fans back at Dodger Stadium in twenty twenty one. To me, that was super powerful.
Speaker 1: And to me, I mean I played that rendition a few different times.
Speaker 2: That was interestingly emotional in a way that no regular, even World Series game can be. I was really you know, I was really emotional the first time I ever sang in a World Series game for the Dodgers, because that was that was bizarre and awesome and like wow, any I remember they had Hank Aaron on the field and they had like you know, obviously it was first time I ever met Kofax and I'd already become friends with Clayton and two and he was, you know, such a force. And yeah. So, but as far as like that one after COVID having had a cardboard cutout between me and me and my wife and our family, we had we all had the cutouts, and you did two, I'm sure, and it was not the same, you know, watching a whole season where he couldn't go and then to go sing for the first time when fans were let back in the stadium. It got to me halfway through it, so there was more emotion than normal. But as far as like they it's it's definitely a toss up between this this game three, eighteen inning game where we walk it off and and I honestly think that's with Well, obviously mathematically without that we lose, but I think that momentum from that changed the entire series for us in some ways.
Speaker 1: If you don't win that game, the Dodgers don't win the World Series because the Blue Jays won the next two games, and it kind of felt and the guys admitted this. They were gassed after that eighteen inning game. They were the older team, and they showed it in the last two games at Dodgers Stay.
Speaker 2: I was shocked by that. I really thought they'd come back the next day with all the wind at their sales and.
Speaker 1: That was weird. Yeah, I was surprised too, but it makes sense. They're the veteran team and a lot was taken out of those bodies at that point in time in October. All right, we're gonna take our final time out here on Dodger Talk when we continue more phone calls. We have those passes to give away to tomorrow's Inside the Locker Room with Miguel Rojas, and we're going to share the legendary conversation with Joe Kelly Mariachi Joe. Oh boy, you love Mariachi Joe, so I thought i'd treat you.
Speaker 2: I think he's great.
Speaker 1: All right, Brad Paisley's got to save those pipes because that truck needs the work. Moving forward right here on a f five to seventy LA Sports Dodger Talk rolls on to the top of the hour. Brad Paisley kind enough to host us here at his humble abode in Parts unknown. Hey, we have a pair of passes for tomorrow's Inside the Locker Room of mcguil, Rojas Petro some money four to five presented by Verizon. I gotta give it to my guy Eric in Hollywood. He's a loyal listener. It calls into the show during the season, So Eric, you enjoy. Hopefully you can make it tomorrow. But Brad wanted to hear Joe Kelly and the interview that we shared last week. Here is Mariachi.
Speaker 3: Joe no, and the ten thousand dollars for thirty minutes is nice. Thank you for that too. You are having so much all those things. Hey, that was our agreement, right, our contract. You pay me ten grand for thirty minutes, and you can say whatever you'd like.
Speaker 1: It's in the mail. It's in the mail.
Speaker 3: Okay, ten thousand paces.
Speaker 1: Geez wow, Papa. Hey, I will say this, you didn't forget the little people when you got your ring last year. You did take time out of your family to say hi to me. So I wasn't sure if it was going to go that way.
Speaker 3: No, of course you're You're one of the little people compared to the Dodger well oiled machine. Right, But you're not a little person. You have your own niche, right, you have your own fan base. Your people meet you and they think you are what you think of me, Joe Kelly. So people come to meet you're like, oh, David Veasse, you're the best, and listen to your show. You're popular amongst your crowd. But yes, you're a little compared to me saying hi to everyone else was at Dodger Stadium. But you're not little to me. Man.
Speaker 1: I actually was buying my wife a birthday present, and the guy that was helping me listens to the show and I said, hey, I'm a going to have Joe Kelly on the show tonight and he said, oh, I have I have his number seventeen jersey. I said, oh, you're the one that still has one. So people still.
Speaker 3: Love you, dude. There's people still with number seventeen jerseys, and those are those are going more for Pokemon cards nowadays. That cat og og skin, the Joe Kelly seventeen, it's pretty rare. I love that those are one of one. You know, it's kind of like going to Disneyland and you're like one of those pin collectors. You know. It's like one of those those own little things are you're going to find the Hint and Mickey's. And when you're waiting in line and someone walks around with a Joe Kelly seventeen jersey, they're like, he gets it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. It's not like a guy that's walking around with a brand new Dodger hat that says twenty five World champs. It's a legit Dodger fan. If they have a seventeen Kelly jersey, Oh, die.
Speaker 3: Hard, bro. You know they watched. You know, they're watching ninety percent of all Dodger.
Speaker 1: Games, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Hey, since you know you asked you you go up to those fans, you say, Hey, who the frick do you think we should cut? Or who the hell do you think we should trade? They'll give you a right they'll give you a straight answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you go up to a guy with a brand new hat, they'll just talk about otani.
Speaker 3: Guy with a brand new Kyle Tucker jersey, they'll have no idea. Well, yeah, what I like the Dodgers. Yeah, we should trade nobody.
Speaker 1: Since you're not playing baseball anymore. How many times have you been to Disneyland in the last couple of years?
Speaker 3: Once? Bro?
Speaker 2: What right?
Speaker 3: Years? Years?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Two years? Last two years?
Speaker 3: Dude, I don't know if you just heard what I said like five minutes ago about you know, you being like the little person. But if I go to Disneyland, it's not like I could just walk around there pretty easily, you know what I mean. So every time I go to Disneyland, I'll waste money which I should put in my kids saving the account. But I'll buy I'll buy the plaids, you know what I mean. I'll buy the VFP tour even if it's just like four of us, just so we could like do everything and you know, get in now. And I mean I'm only doing that once a year. Maybe it's worth it passes. Yeah, me and Ashleys to live in Anaheim actually probably like three minutes Fromain in the Stadium and then like six minutes from Disneyland like on a bicycle. Like my first couple of years in the league, we lived right and sorry ride in Anaheim and we were we remembers. And this is more COVID because COVID kind of changing everything where they got rid of like the annual pass holder type thing, like they're kind of bringing it back.
Speaker 1: But you are a Disney nerd.
Speaker 3: Dude, I'm not a Disney nerd. I just like like like entertainment, you know what I mean, It's not free.
Speaker 1: Are you? Are you a member of a Club thirty three? Are you a club? Are you a Club thirty three member?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: But I've been a few times with my dad, his his childhood best friends. The couple of remembers.
Speaker 1: Wow, mooching off a Club thirty three member?
Speaker 3: Very Joe Kelly Like, hey, I would I would, uh I'm I'm not going to bashed Club thirty three because you know I might go there one time.
Speaker 1: Are you on the list before before.
Speaker 3: Being a member of Club thirty three? The food is no better than like, you know, tacos, lost trolos, you know what I mean. But I mean that's firings. But the food is not.
Speaker 1: Great, all right, So we're not missing out too much.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no no, But it's cool just to say you're getting in there, all right.
Speaker 1: I love it. Joe Kelly is our guest. If you need any advice on how to navigate Disneyland, he's your guy. But you're the perfect guy to have on the show with all these people overreacting again because the Dodgers are trying to win. I thought that was the point of professional sports. What have you made about all these people saying there's gonna be a lockout? Now the Dodgers are are playing unfairly, nobody else has a chance. Since you're the guy that is a best selling author with an incredible book, a damn near perfect game reclaiming America's pastime, what do you make of all this?
Speaker 3: I love it. I love when people are bad and sad. There's nothing that. I'm not a very happy guy. You could ask my wife. But what makes me happy is other people bitching and complaining. You know what I mean, guy, It makes me feel so good. I don't even play, but I just like to stir the pot and see all the animosity. It's wonderful. I think it's great for the game of baseball. There's no way it's gonna be fixed. I don't care about people saying there's a lockout. There's a lockout last time, guys. You know what I mean. There's gonna be a lockout. There's always gonna be a lockout eventually for to see who you know, how long it goes. That is to be seen, obviously. But I mean, these guys were all free agents. It's it's it's not something that's very hard to do, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't understand what Joe Kelly unfiltered on Dodger Talk. So okay, I'm a big believer that with the Dodgers have done is just make baseball more relevant, having the Dodgers and Yankees in the World Series, having that epic World Series. How can anybody say the Dodgers are bad for baseball? The Dodgers being this good is great for baseball.
Speaker 3: Of course, it's great for baseball. You know, there's any given day I could go on, you know, someone given an interview or I mean, you got NBA analysts, you know, talking about Dodgers in baseball. You got NFL reporters talking Dodgers and talking baseball, you know what I mean. You got comedians getting mad with the effected Dodgers signing baseball like you're doing something right. And as an owner and as a league. If you could get all these people who didn't really care about baseball now talking about it as a top of conversation, you know, that's just good pub. It's it's it's good pub. And it's gonna open a lot of eyes to like the new the new CBA. That's gonna be fun. There's gonna be people giving their input and following along, you know, day by day on this kind of thing that you know, we don't really watch sports.
Speaker 1: Joe Kelly is our guest who did not announce his retirement, just said he's not going to play baseball anymore. Uh, just to let you know, you still have your mural at Dodger Stadium up on the reserve level. Maybe that'll change after this interview, but you still got it up there right now. And I was just wondering the reaction that you got when you start to say these things that you're not pitching anymore, you're not retiring. Uh what what did it? Did it trigger anything inside of you? The reaction you got from fans in Saint Louis, Boston and La.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think it.
Speaker 1: You were really celebrating. It was like a victory tour last week.
Speaker 3: I know, but I didn't. I'm not aware of that. That's see. That's what's the good thing about having no social media or nothing.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why. Maybe that's why you're sad all the time.
Speaker 3: I'm not sad all the time. I'm very content. Brother. Uh maybe if I said I retired, though, they'd rip that mural down. No, No, I feel like I think you can say I'm not playing, They'll keep it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that there's no way they take it down.
Speaker 3: You know what this is why, because ever since that mural has been up, the Dodgers have one World series. You take it down, you're gonna lose World series. They're gonna drinx it.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, you're saying that's the lucky charm.
Speaker 3: I mean, you take that mural down. Let's see if they win the World Series.
Speaker 1: I love it. I want you, man, I love that. I hope you loan your Maldiachi jacket to one of the guys when they get their rings this year, when they go out to the line and they, uh.
Speaker 3: One, who do you think should wear it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I think skinny enough, because dude, when I threw that first picture was so tight on me. I guess I'm like one ninety five now I played it. I played at like one eighty one eighty five, and my arms are so yoke, Dude, I couldn't even I bounced the ball. I couldn't lose my arm. It's so tight.
Speaker 1: You're saying you're so jacky enough to wear that thing. You're saying your swollen patrol.
Speaker 3: Now, oh, bro, I'm stronger, you know the you know the jokeman Bradford of the Best Shape of Life. I'm way stronger than when I played Wow. If there's a fist fight, there's like no now I could do, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, so Joe Kelly fight club walk up on.
Speaker 3: Me like I'm way more prepared than what I was playing baseball.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think Yamamoto or Mookie would fit into that jacket.
Speaker 3: Oh, Mookie will obviously, Yama would. Obviously, that's it. We only have two.
Speaker 1: I mean, who else, like Barnes isn't on the t won't be there. I would say Barnes, what about he would Will? Will? Will Smith's kind?
Speaker 3: Yeah too strong? Yeah, am is a good, good call, bro.
Speaker 1: He's a legend already. You know, him and Walker Bueller are legends forever. Dude, we should pitch it to him.
Speaker 3: I would let Yama do it. Yeah, pitch it to him. Go ahead.
Speaker 1: All right, here's another question for you. Did you see Freddie Freeman at the UH at the party after they won the World Series do the worm? What did you think about his worm skills? I?
Speaker 3: I did it. It went, it went across. Uh. I figured I was watching Mayors was in spectrum like a lackeram or something. Yeah, but yeah, I did see. I think it's I think it's a solid worm.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, hey, uh, this is part one of our five part series. So unlike your.
Speaker 3: I got to earn that ten grand right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So unlike your podcast, that can go on and on. This is a live show, so we gotta uh, we gotta ended here. But let's let's do this again soon. Maybe you'll come in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, take people call in. Some people call in because I know, I know, I've your producer, and they kind of went behind your back and told me that I could have your show whenever I said yes, So people call in. Let me know if you want me to take over a vast a show. We can still have him. He could be like a you know, maybe a regular, have a couple of appearances. But let me know if you want me to run Dodgers talk, get back to me. Get on the phones, dial in JK or DV.
Speaker 1: Wow, JK. We're going to the initials.
Speaker 3: Route now, huh yes, sir?
Speaker 1: All right, maybe uh do you maybe you could find your way to Burbank. You just gotta get over the dirt roads and in Riverside and Rancho and find your way to the one thirty four.
Speaker 3: I know where it's at.
Speaker 1: Bro all right, let's make it happen before spring training or in spring training. We'll take some calls together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be out there in spring training. We got a tournament. Actually, we're coming to bring the team to maybe the practice field and see what's going on.
Speaker 1: All right, sounds good. Thanks a lot for coming on, and congratulations on, you know, just being a guy that lives at home and mooches off other people and Club thirty three and wears his Mickey ears all over the streets of Riverside.
Speaker 3: I feel like a normal American now, thank you?
Speaker 1: All right, Brad Kelly, you got to relive Mariachi Joe from last week. Where does Joe Kelly rank amongst your favorite Dodgers?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's easy. Number one Clayton Kershaw always will be greatest of all time, you know. Number two Jerry Harriston.
Speaker 1: Junior, Give me a break.
Speaker 2: Number three Joe Kelly.
Speaker 1: Wow, you have? You had such a high standard and then it really dropped with number two. And Joe Kelly's got a mural. Jerry Harriston does not have a mural.
Speaker 2: Jerry Herriston is an American treasurer. I hope he's listening.
Speaker 1: You're lucky we're at your house where I would throw things.
Speaker 2: Well, I stand by my opinion, and opinions are never wrong.
Speaker 1: They're just opinions, David, except when I tell you they're wrong, all.
Speaker 2: Right, well we can agree to disagree on this.
Speaker 1: Hi, Jerry, Hey, seriously, one other question, Joe Kelly, have you seen the mural? Have you been up to the reserve level. I know you're a guy that stays field level.
Speaker 2: I've seen it. I saw it at one of the charity events. It's amazing. It's really uh so they got to keep it to win again?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: He was right like you're the one he said it to as far as basically, that is the good luck charm, right, a win every time that ever since that's been up. So yeah, keep that mural up everybody.
Speaker 1: Brad, thanks a lot for allowing me to host Dodger Talk from your palatial estate in Parts Unknown.
Speaker 2: It's not palatial by any means, but I can't believe. I don't know how you even got in here.
Speaker 1: The fence was really low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, folks, this was not planned. Somebody helped me call security.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks Brad. We'll see you on opening days somewhere.
Speaker 2: Can't wait there.
Speaker 1: He is the man, Brad Paisley, kind enough to allow us to have Dodger Talk from his home in central California. We'll be back with you on Saturday. Dodger Fest ten am We will be there, presented by Verizon Otan Any Mookie Beds, Freddie Freeman not Jerry Harriston Junior will be on the show to Brad's dismay. So sorry about that, Brad.
Speaker 2: He's got a full schedule and you can't. I mean, you know he's You gotta book him well in advance.
Speaker 1: He has a manager aft to go through. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio for all his help. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. We'll talk to you tomorrow, have a great rest of your night, or we'll talk to you Saturday. Have a great rest of your night. See you