Speaker 1: Corner with Ian McDonald recruited lead singer Lou Graham, who actually got them the record deal with that co when they heard Lou Graham's vocals. Jones the only continuous member of Foreigner throughout its history. He co produced almost all of their album did co produce all their albums, and co wrote most of their songs with Graham, and famously claims single solo writing credits on I Want to Know What Love is, the band's most successful single, but jammed to a lot of Foreigner back in the day and still did this morning. As a matter of fact, as I mentioned, it's December twenty seventh. Before we look ahead to look back at significant events and people tied to this particular day in history, including but not limited to these. Eighteen thirty one naturalist Charles Darwin set out on the h MS Beagle on Around the World voyage, Plymouth, England, nineteen o four. James Berry's play Peter Pan The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up, which producer Liam has been cast in a remake of this. The irony is not lost on me. This opened at the Duke of York's Theater in London. New York City's famed Radio City Music Hall open to the public this date in nineteen thirty two. The rockheads have been kicking ever since. Let's see as we continued down the list. This was a date in nineteen sixty eight the Apollo eight capsule splashed down safely in the Pacific, completing the first Crewe mission to orbit the Moon. Nineteen seventy nine, Soviet forces seized control of Afghanistan. The president was overthrown and executed, replaced by a what the Soviets thought was a fine puppet, and about eleven years later, ten years later, the Russians left with their tales between their legs. But we didn't learn a lesson from this in this country, because in two thousand and one, the United States seized control of Afghanistan and stayed there for twenty years and finally left, infamously under the watch of President Joe Biden with our Tale between our legs and thirteen marines dead. This is a date nineteen eighty five that American naturalists and conservationist Diane Fossey, who had studied mountain guerrillas in Africa for nearly twenty years, was found murdered in her cabin in Rwanda. No one ever was prosecuted for that murder. Hall of Fame basketball coach Nolan Richardson, famously at once of the Arkansas Razorbacks, turns eighty four.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: Actor Gerard Depardieux is seventy seven. David Knopfler, who is Mark Knopfler's less talented brother, is seventy three. Basketball Hall of Fame coach Bill Self turned sixty three today, a reporter, and I don't know if you can call anybody in TV these days a journalist. Savannah Guthrie is fifty four. Olympic sprint gold medalist. Shelley and Fraser Price turns thirty nine. Hailey Williams of the band Paramore is thirty seven. Shay Mooney of Dan and Shay thirty four. Timothy Shallomey turns thirty and mister Irrelevant proving very relevant once again. Brock Perty of the San Francisco forty nine ers is celebrating his twenty sixth birthday today. If it is your birthday, prayer for you it is the best birthday ever, and you get to spend it with the people you love doing the things you love to do, just like I got to last Monday here on the air five point forty two, Liam Tomlinson, the boy who wouldn't grow up standing by with sports as we get you going this morning on a Saturday morning adventure, and it is going to be an adventure. I can hear my voice cracking already on seven hundred you.
Speaker 2: It's the season for seven one hundred a WL Sports.
Speaker 1: Is the afore mentioned Liam Tomlinson. We got a coaching change at Michigan. You know anything about this Kyle Winningham, guy from Utah.
Speaker 3: Kyle Whittingham was the replacement to Urban Meyer at Utah has held it down there for twenty years or so. Ten win season this year, but it was time kind of both sides side. It was mutually agreed the part ways. I wonder what scandal will hit Michigan next year. Kyle Whittingham man, I think they went with the character higher. I think he is a really good coach, but they kind of needed the right guy that could just steer the ship. It kind of feels like a get them in the right direction higher more than a long term higher. But we'll see if Kyle Whittingham can get it done with way more resources than he had at Utah. So it'll be interesting to see big time changes in the Big Ten.
Speaker 1: And he will actually be on the sidelines for Michigan the bowl game.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 3: A lot of coaches wait and let the former.
Speaker 2: Staff understand or whatever. Yeah, what else we got college football?
Speaker 3: It's bowl season, not the same with all the opt outsand transfers. But we had three games yesterday and the game above Sports Bowl Northwestern defeated Central Michigan thirty four to seven, the Rate Bowl, Minnesota defeated New Mexico twenty to seventeen with the walk golf touchdown in overtime, and in the First Responder Bowl, Utsa put it on FIU fifty seven to twenty. Today won two three six to seven bowl games.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 3: Military Bowl Pittsburgh faces East Carolina starting at eleven, and the Pinstripe Bowl Clemson and Penn State face off that one in the Fenway Bowl, can you kind of army kickoff at two fifteen. The Pop Tarts Bowl twelve ranks BYU Charts faces twenty second rank Georgia Tech that kicks off at three thirty. They spray painted the end zones with the sprinkles. Arizona Bowl Miami Ohio Chuck Martin squad faces off against Fresno State, battle it all, battle it out at four point thirty. New Mexico Bowl twenty fifth ranked North Texas faces San Diego State at five forty five and the Gator Bowl nineteenth ranths Virginia and Missouri battle it out at seven thirty, and then the Texas Bowl LSU and Houston and the nightcap at nine to fifteen. Two NFL games today four pm. Texans Chargers face off and the nightcap. Baltimore looks to keep their playoff hopes alive in Green Bay against the Packers. Jordan Love is out with the concussion and Lamar is doubtful with a back injury. So Malik Willis versus Tyler Huntley in primetime like we all ask.
Speaker 2: For it, did they lift Metcalfs suspension?
Speaker 4: Two?
Speaker 3: I believe they upheld the suspension and there was a press conference held by the fan. He was wearing his suit and his finest Lions backwards cap. Sunday, the Bengals play football. Cincinnati hosts Arizona and some would say meaningless football, but every game we get is meaningful. Pregame coverage begins at nine oh five. Kick is set for one pm right here on the home of the best Bengals coverage, seven hundred WLW. You were tuned to news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Bunniest jokes but if your breath smells like the.
Speaker 1: F both thanks to our friend Dave Bagraf made it to the studio this past Monday when I filled in for Willie on my birthday December twenty second, and they were part of the party. Let's get their reaction. Good morning, Lynette, go.
Speaker 5: Tellison the mound. Why don't you over to hear pvery go lion the mount to that cheez us christious jeeus Christius Amen Amen.
Speaker 2: So it was great.
Speaker 6: It was onsa America.
Speaker 2: It was great to see you on Monday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I didn't get no fried chicken. I'm heart brought.
Speaker 2: Nobody had any fried chicken, Linnette.
Speaker 6: Well, somebody said, look at that spread of food over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there was no fried chicken. Oh there was. There was ham, and there were vegetables. Okay, no fried chick.
Speaker 6: At least stayed the guy as a ham sandwich. We rode two aur in ten miles just to be there.
Speaker 1: Well, you actually did ride. You didn't drive Dave did that. Dave did all the heavy lifting.
Speaker 6: Us roll darling, I didn't date drive.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, didn't you enjoy your trip?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Okay, but I missed my Christmas party here. I got back at three forty and it ended at three thirty.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sorry, that's okay.
Speaker 6: I just now I had to take a COVID test yesterday. Ye get with COVID shot Monday, So that was pressing that. No COVID here, dear God, don't let it come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that wouldn't be good.
Speaker 6: I just said COVID. What was it about three or four months ago? Now it's floating again.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean COVID.
Speaker 1: You know what, and don't act like COVID is the death sentence one. I mean, a flu could be just as bad. That's basically what that is, is a and cold COVID. Yeah, it's not the boogeyman that everybody makes it out to be. But you need to protect yourself and I understand in your condition.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got my mask on.
Speaker 2: You've cut your mask on right now?
Speaker 6: Yeah, why I don't want to catch it?
Speaker 1: Well, no, okay, who are you going to catch it from? It's not just floating in the air, Dear.
Speaker 6: Yeah it does because the first year I was laying in bed and it felt like somebody put a pill over my face, and then the doctor put some kind of big glung pill down my throat and I kept trying to say, I can't take pen Ofcilly. It must have been in Mock's ciling. Anyway. He said he almost lost me, and he took care of me around the talk. Doctor t.
Speaker 2: Well, God bless him.
Speaker 6: That was my first bout with it. I think I had three or four times in seven years.
Speaker 1: No, it has to be transferred from another person, Lynette. It doesn't just float freely through the air.
Speaker 5: Yes it does.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 6: They say it can jump off of it though person hasn't.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: If you if you're exposed now, you don't get transferred from somebody's hair, Lynette.
Speaker 2: It's all it's rest.
Speaker 6: And then something about if you don't dig in your nose, you can't get it. But I'm thinking of seven years ago when it first started coming around.
Speaker 2: So you don't you don't dig in your nose?
Speaker 6: Do you never did?
Speaker 2: Well, if you do, make sure you pick a winner.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I got to meet music professor. You did because I saw him at fifty one years ago.
Speaker 2: At a bridal show.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, he.
Speaker 6: Was master seremon. He was Taul, handsome and cool looking, but he was way up on the stage. We were down on the floor of it a convention Sentner Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: And then the.
Speaker 6: Man I was going to marry. That's why I'm doing that. I was the widow. That isn't because my man died before we got married. Oh, it took me a year to find him. I did. It was in the cemetery at Richmond, Kentucky. So that's how Lynette got started.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, you can imagine how it might have been. But if he's in the cemetery, at least you always know where to find him, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, baby, we love you.
Speaker 1: We got a roll any take care all right, you too, bye, lay Lynette. And Dick, who was also part of the party on Monday, is hanging and standing by.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to him.
Speaker 1: Into the first official hour of this Saturday morning edition for Saturday, December twenty seventh, twenty twenty five, closing out the year.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 1: I'm Gary Jeff Walker, and you can call me Gary, or you can call me Jeff, or you can call me Gary, Jeff, you can call me Walker, but it doesn't have to call me Johnson. Remember that the old piece of comedy nonsense from way back when. Anyway, it's five minutes or so past the hour and we're rocking and rolling and going again. And another great, great pleasure that I took in filling in for Willie on Monday past was getting to see Dave from Harrison in per and now here he is on the phone again.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Dave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doing fine if Liam ever turns the volume up on the phones. So were you disappointed that there wasn't any fried chicken like Lynette?
Speaker 7: I can't say it was. It was a very birthday worthy spread if you asked me.
Speaker 1: Well, I tell you what. Those folks from Dorothy Lane market man, they did it up right. The ham and the veggies.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: I took the rest of the veggies home with me because nobody had taken them, and I decided, you know, these are too good to pass up. I waited till Tuesday when I was here for the night cap, and I still a big tray of veggies and that incredible dip that they had for that so I've been eating on that all week. It was great to see you. Thank you for the birthday cake. It finally got eaten. I wanted you to know, and it was much much appreciated.
Speaker 8: Good.
Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, Hey, Dave, Dave, Dave. What do you call a snowman with a six pack? I don't know, an abdominal an abdominal snowman and dominal snowman? What do you what do you call the jolly old elf when he takes a break? Santa pause, Santa pause pause. You know why are mummies such big fans of Christmas? Because they're so well wrapped?
Speaker 8: There are you?
Speaker 7: How does the lifeguard get to work?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 7: He carpolls, Jeff, what kind of opera stars? Things in the shower?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I'd be a so brano.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Dave. Did you say soap brano? So prano? Yes, sir, that's what I thought you said. Go on, please yep.
Speaker 7: So, here's the question. If we breathe. If we breathe oxygen during the day, what do we breathe at night?
Speaker 2: I'm afraid to ask.
Speaker 7: Well, I guess would be nitrogen.
Speaker 2: Dave, Yes, Dave, how was your wife.
Speaker 7: She's snoring up a storm even as we speak.
Speaker 1: Did you say she's smelling up a storm, snoring snoring up a storm? Well, living with you, I can understand this.
Speaker 9: Jokes told by Dave from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management, or advertisers of seven HUNDREDLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular program.
Speaker 1: Told Liam I wanted to play this, I slid it into the log and he said, what do you know about Paramore? I said, I'm familiar with the group. I mean, it's not like they haven't been around for twenty years, which they have. It's not necessarily my first choice, but the girl rocks, and this guy always rocks. With a reception report on this early Saturday morning, our friend Rick Washburn Al radio, Rick, good morning, how are you receiving us?
Speaker 7: Good morning, Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 10: I'm receiving you with a little bit of guilt. I must haven't pretty plowed at your birthday. I'm glad that Dick from Dayton enjoyed our talk, but I don't remember his chatting with him or even being there.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I didn't want to break it to him that you.
Speaker 10: Weren't here, and I know he's not listening, so I say.
Speaker 1: No, no, he's calling someone else. He's calling Ron Wilson on in the garden right now. You know that The odd thing is he he doesn't have anything to even ask Ron about being in the garden. He doesn't really care. It's just his chance to shine again somewhere else.
Speaker 10: God last fifteen minutes of fame every three hours that you need it or not. Oh gosh, hey, you're coming in five y five. A shout out to Neil as I'm listening to on a Traveler nineteen thirty eight AM shorty radio model unknown. But this radio was also sold by Spiegel.
Speaker 2: Stories, model model unknown.
Speaker 10: It doesn't have a model number on it. But the weird thing is it took me a while to find it, but I discovered that the same exact model was sold by the Spiegel Catalog. And if you were a kid who watched game shows in the seventies, you'll remember the Spiegel catalog Chicago Chicago nine.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 10: For those playing at home, look for this Beegel Model sixty five to ten sat eb one. It's the same thing. It's a five to two radio with both am in a short a smell short wave band, but it still works, and a gorgeous wood cabinet. And I love this specific radio that Neil loans, not just because it's gorgeous and the braining issue makes it unique, but because while it has been worked on in the past, it still has all five original Raytheon tubes and the radio tubes Onlike television tubes, radio tubes were pretty resilient, but there were still servicemen that if it was the slightest bit week, oh you got to buy a new one, because that's how they made money. But they're still just functioning perfectly eighty seven years later. And also intriguing is that there the tubes. Instead of being silk screened or painted with the brand name, they're actually engraved. And that was something that I think stopped overall like five years before this radio was made. So I don't know if it was unique to Raytheon that they kept doing it. I don't think so, or if they had a whole lot overstock and so they designed the radio around that.
Speaker 1: But I knew somebody who had their tubes engraved and then they had them tied. But that's something else.
Speaker 10: I'm sure that's something very different. Yeah, well, let's go to the catalog, shall we?
Speaker 7: Sure alive?
Speaker 10: In performance? It says, over a cartoon picture of a fellow with a Vincent Price mustache holding a microphone that seems to be shooting lightning bolts into a young woman's face. Okay, got my attention.
Speaker 7: Now we go.
Speaker 10: Something new in home radio, A new design in cabinet and dial, smart pleasing sure to appeal. This set will sell itself an appearance, performance, and price. It goes on five tubes, five and a half inch dynamic speaker AM in shortwave reception. I don't think they have really mentioned what was new in home radio with this. I wonder what it was was It was the price because it was eighteen ninety five, which was about four hundred and twenty five bucks today, which wasn't bad back then.
Speaker 2: Honestly, no, probably not.
Speaker 1: But if it sells itself, then they just should show a picture of the radio. They don't even need They don't need all the verbiage to describe why I would sell itself. If it sells itself, you don't need to talk about it at all. Just put the radio out there, turn it on and it'll it'll fly off the shelves.
Speaker 10: I would I would like the classic, like the classic. This man needs no introduction. But here's his name, his bios, his resume, right exactly.
Speaker 1: I actually am guilty of that from time to time we all are. So, how are you doing today?
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 10: Overall?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 10: My good for Christmas? I got my good old friend aphib back. So oh short of breath, but I'm doing okay. It'll hopefully it passes. Otherwise they'll throw the paddles on me again and I'll be good to go for another couple of years.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope there's no.
Speaker 10: With all this equipment down here, could shock myself, I would say.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 10: I've got the big knife switch from one of the Frankenstein movies on the walls. Just for fun. Maybe I can put that up.
Speaker 1: And your hair would look like Madeline CON's in like five seconds.
Speaker 10: It wouldn't be an improvement, don't you think?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think you got a good mop on top of your head. Old radio Rick at gmail dot com if you'd like to get in touch with mister Washburn and discuss your antique radio that it'll take him at least five years to fix.
Speaker 2: It's six eighteen at seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: Seven hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 1: Liam and I were just talking about the NBA and I never really we never really talk about it because well, frankly, you probably don't care. I know I generally don't either. But Liam, you know, he's a hoopster. He digs the league, the National Basketball Association. We're talking about. What's the guy from Denver, what's his name?
Speaker 2: Jokis Nicola Jokic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Niccolo Jokic the other night had fifty six points and triple double and eighteen points in overtime, which tops Steph Curry's record of points in overtime. Which I mean, you beat Steph Curry when it comes to a scoring record, You're doing something right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And Brook Lopez thirty seven years old, dropping thirty one points with nine threes last night for the Clippers the Center.
Speaker 2: How about that again. I really don't really.
Speaker 1: Watch NBA because it's pretty much just a continuous layup drill, especially during the regular season, but there are some special talents playing. I used to be my brothers and I at Christmas time living in Tennessee. The weather was generally warm, as it.
Speaker 2: Was here.
Speaker 1: Most years, not a lot of snow on the ground or anything like that, so we missed out on that. But we had a basketball court, a pad asphalt pad out back of the house, and a big, old tall hoop and we'd play one on one at halftime of the NBA games that we're always played on Christmas Day, and sooner or later we'd forget the game was on. We just play all afternoon. That was one of our things we like to do. But I don't think that I could even shoot a free throw anymore. You still play the Evil Empire. NFL is trying to take over the NBA on Christmas. It's kind of a budding rivalry going on the last two years that the NFL has kind of had some stinker games, but the NBA just keeps coming with classics. But it's just interesting to see how the household view of the NBA has shifted, probably in your lifetime, especially Oh yeah, absolutely, Like I said back in the eighties. We were still into it eighties and nineties. Not anymore, and give me NFL games any day. Even a bad NFL game is better than a great NBA game to me. Well, we got two NFL games.
Speaker 3: Speaking in the NFL today four pm, Texans Chargers facing off two playoff bound teams. In the nightcap, Baltimore and Green Bay face off. Jordan Love is out with the concussion and Lamar is doubtful with the back injury, so we'll get Malik Willis versus Tyler Huntley. You can catch both games on Fox Sports thirteen sixty's starting at four pm and then eight to fifteen. Tomorrow afternoon, the Bengals play Cincinnati hosts the Arizona Cardinals. Premium coverage begins at nine point five. Kick is sept for one pm here on the Home of the Best Bengals Coverage seven hundred WLW. Jamar Chase talking about how he needs to get in the end zone in his press conference this week. It's been since the middle of October since he's scored six.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, especially since the Bengals really don't have anything to play for. It is time for individual accolades, isn't it. Jamar last season, I mean, he put up all those numbers. He's got to keep it up this year.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: Last year was one of Joe Burrow's best years, I mean, not his best year of his career, and the Bengals still didn't make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: They're not going to make the playoffs this year.
Speaker 1: Had to suffer through watching my Kansas City Chiefs just absolutely stink up the place and lose to Denver the other night. I don't know. I'm just I'm hoping for a good game. If I can see a good NFL, competitive NFL game, I don't care who's playing.
Speaker 2: I just want to see that.
Speaker 1: We won't see that more than likely with Arizona and the Bengals tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Arizona, we got the Arizona Snoop Dogg Bowl, and we're talking football. Miami Ohio Tuck Martin squad face off against Fresno State that is at four point thirty in the Texas Bowl. LSU Houston kicks off at nine to fifteen. Military Ball at eleven am. Pittsburgh faces East Carolina Pinstrike Bowl Clemson and Penn State. That game is at one pop Tards Bowl. Twelfth ranked BYU and twenty second ranked wards. They really spray sprinkles into the end zone. Yeah, the Pop Tards Bowl has gotten bigger every year. You know, the first year he came out of the toaster, he died. They ate the pop Tart the live mascot. Okay, very kind of sacrilegious. It was really insane, it's according to some people. But it's very interesting, the growth of the Pop Tarts Bowl.
Speaker 2: I think it's all. Uh, it's something to watch.
Speaker 1: Well, we wait for the main entree on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, and I'm excited about next week and the college football playoff six twenty six. Now a better class of losers. I think they're all winners. And they're right now sitting back in the bar on Main Street and Ripley at Brookies. How now Brown County waiting to uh, well, do what we do on Saturday mornings.
Speaker 2: The gang, Good morning gang, good morning. Wow. We got two today?
Speaker 8: Three?
Speaker 1: Yeah there, how about that? How about that? So the cooks still out, the cook still.
Speaker 11: Out of jail, seet out of jail probation.
Speaker 2: That's wonderful.
Speaker 11: I am so glad you got pizza and stuff.
Speaker 10: Now it's good.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you've got a Brookies rehab program. So, uh, any who had any big plans for the New.
Speaker 7: Year, Well, yeah, you're part of them. That'll be Wednesday night.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, we're not inviting everybody to your house, are we.
Speaker 1: No, I'll tell anybody I was gonna say, I can give out the address if you like.
Speaker 11: Well, there's no Queen of Hearts, there's no band scheduled, there's no not a whole lot.
Speaker 2: But well good.
Speaker 1: But if you're if you're you know, going out on New Year's Eve and you're in Ripley, why not go to Brookies. I mean, it's it's one of the biggest bar nights of the year, isn't it here? So you're saying to bring it in people travel out of Brown County to celebrate, right.
Speaker 10: Because No, it's really not that busy down here.
Speaker 1: Well, and and the wonderful thing is, and the thing that's surprising about that is that you can pretty much drink and drive you have no police force.
Speaker 2: I don't recommend it.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not saying that anyone should ever anywhere, but I'm just saying, you know, probably harder.
Speaker 2: To get your car, harder.
Speaker 12: To get home pretty much.
Speaker 10: Get the local st walking anyway.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay, so.
Speaker 1: Oh had a fantastic time Monday. That was great to see you up here the oil bear in a Brown County.
Speaker 7: That's horful about it. I always wanted to see the studio.
Speaker 1: Well you, Darren, you're You're invited anytime you want to make it up. Okay, Well, just you text me and let me know and I'll let you in. I know, I know people. Uh, have we got a weather fore cash Harry real quick?
Speaker 7: Oh we do.
Speaker 12: It's going to be really warm tomorrow, maybe break a record, maybe seventy, but it's going to be gluey, I think, rainy, but then it goes down. Hell on Monday, I heard that, I heard that you could. I want to wish all the guys I didn't get to see in gowns and Miss Lynette and all that. I wish I could have been there for the party, But I won't wish them all a happy New Year.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: God, love you guys, and we'll see you on New Year's Eve, all right. The gang at Brookies in Ripley this morning. It's six forty one. It's seven utter wlw at six forty four on this Saturday morning. By the way, Alan and Norwood, we just called an inquired of the people in Ripley at Brookies at the bar are drunk? I would say no, unless you're referring to Buzz or Matt Miller, then quite possibly, and neither one were there this morning, so not to worry allan, it is rather early. My grandparents had a little clock in their basement on the little bar top they had, and it said no drinks till after five, and there were nothing but fives all the way around the clock. Anyway, that's you didn't need predictions. They're huge this time of year. As we embark on a brand new calendar, predictions for twenty twenty six, could they nearer predictions that have been made famously before. To discuss our friend Steve from met In, Ohio with predictions for the future of the United States of America.
Speaker 2: What there is?
Speaker 13: Good morning, Good morning, Happy New Year, Happy New Year. You know, here's a quote.
Speaker 7: I would call.
Speaker 13: This a very interesting prediction. A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. Okay, it can only exist until the majority discovers that can vote its largess out.
Speaker 2: Of the public treasury.
Speaker 13: After that the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits, with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy, ensuing always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy. And I thought about this this week. We talked about this a couple of years ago. He ends with then a monarchy, and I thought, wow, that's really interesting. Now we're talking about kings, aren't we in our protests. The earliest known attribution of that quote was October the twentieth, nineteen forty eight, and what appears to be an op ed piece in the Daily Oklahoman under the byline Elmer T.
Speaker 10: Peterson.
Speaker 13: It was called this is the hardcore of freedom. Let's talk about Elmer for a second. Elmer Theodore Peterson was born in eighteen eighty four in Algona, Iowa. Oh Good people seemed to come from Iowa. He died in nineteen sixty nine in Mendocino, California. Prominent author, newspaperman in Kansas and Oklahoma, editor of Better Homes and Gardens for ten years from twenty seven to thirty seven. Associate editor of The Daily Oklahoma in Oklahoma City circa twenty years until nineteen sixty two. In his retirement, he graduated from Bethany College in West Virginia. Now some say he may have lifted this idea from this quote in nineteen forty three. The historical cycle seems to be from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, and abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to apathy, from apathy to dependency, and from discent to dependency back to bondage once more. So I got to thinking about that, and you said something right at the top of the show, and you always come on board with some fascinating stuff. The ten years that the Soviets spent in Afghanistan, and of course they walked out with their tail between their legs, so we decided why not twenty and of course we came home without a victory. I was thinking about that compared to Vietnam and talking about, you know, predictions. Bernard Fall was a French journalist who was in Vietnam for a long time. He served with the French forces as a newspaperman. The French were driven out of Vietnam in nineteen fifty four at the Envan Foo. The Americans within two years decided let's try this. I don't think the French did it right. If you read Bernard falls book Street Without Joy, you'll really really understand how questionable it probably was that we just marched right in afterwards. So predictions are kind of interesting. Listen to some of them, we don't listen to others. Some of them are de course ridiculous. Others have a tinge of truth that turns into a mighty truth later.
Speaker 10: Well, I hope.
Speaker 13: That twenty twenty six, and I've heard a lot of predictions so far, turns out well for all of us. Gary, Jeffyu, your family love this show on Monday, and the United States of America my country. Take care of yourself and enjoy the weekend.
Speaker 2: God blessed.
Speaker 1: Happy New Year, Steve, thank you very much. Odds that Steve mentions Vietnam. I had an author on my Nightcap show this past Tuesday named James Bradley is a New York Times bestselling author, and his new book is called Precious Freedom about Vietnam. He lived in Vietnam for ten years to interview Vietnamese and to the Vietnamese it wasn't North versus South.
Speaker 2: It was a.
Speaker 1: Vietnamese against Us. And that's why he says it mostly was a failed exercise. And I would say Afghanistan clearly goes in that category as well, no matter the reason. We were as a seventeen year old in Middle Tennessee in nineteen seventy eight and a candy apple red Grand Prix with tea tops that belonged to my father. I got to go pick up my girlfriend in Goodletsville, Tennessee, and that was playing on the radios. I pulled into her driveway and there she is sitting on the front porch waiting for me in these pink terry cloth baby soft tank top and shorts. And it's about one hundred and three outside in the summer in Middle Tennessee. And I'm sure our friend here, Ray Scott, remember those days in Middle Tennessee. Uh, if not in the late seventies, in the early eighties. How you doing, brother, Ray? How are you?
Speaker 7: Good morning?
Speaker 14: Good morning Gary, Jeff my friend or as that nice lady referred to you last Saturday morning, the sugar lips, Yeah, Pat, Pat, Bless her heart. My grandmother used to always say to us, we were a kids, she'd say, come over here, honey, child and give me some sugar. Yeah, have to remind me of that. So, yes, sir, the uh the old vinyl seat days, you know, going to Florida to relatives homes in the vehicle with no air in vinyl seats and you'd fall asleep and you'd have this big crease in your face from the vinyl seats.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, right. So what's on your mind this morning? Brother?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 14: Listen, I uh, you know, I'm going to first off, put a disclaimer out out here because this is uh information that I uh, I think it's worth regifting and uh and I heard it at a Christmas service. Uh that was in Washington, d C. It was televised at a Catholic Mass, and I thought he was worthy of a repeat. And that is this, you know, the topic of regifting, of which I think we've all done it on occasion, and we've done it with love and and that the one gift and that the really the greatest could be the greatest gift given to us, that the giver that gives it to us almost definitely calls us to regift, and that give is love and God came in the flesh, and he is love. So I think it's early to make uh result's dog on it, but it's really not. It's the twenty seventh. So I'll be the first one in line to do my very best in twenty twenty six to be a regifter. And I invite all of our friends and listeners, let's do our best to be regifters. I can new year to you, brother, God bless you.
Speaker 2: I'd bless you.
Speaker 1: No greater gift than the gift that God gave us in Jesus Christ, both his birth, his death, and his resurrection. And that is ultimately what love truly is all about. And as Ray said, if we can attempt, in our feeble human way to regive that gift to the people around us, then maybe we're accomplishing something. Into another hour of this Saturday Morning edition for Saturday, December twenty seventh, twenty twenty five, how you doing, Gary, Jeff by your side on your radio on a Saturday morning, just like the Good Lord intended?
Speaker 2: Apparently, because I mean, if not, why is it happening at all? That's the question really.
Speaker 1: About six minutes past the hour seven oh six Eastern that is on this last Saturday of the year, and look forward to these conversations every Saturday morning. I find them informative. I hope you do too when it comes to the environment. After all, he is an environmental engineer, even in retirement. You know, you can take the man out of environmental engineering, but you can't take the environmental engineering out of the man. Steve Shulte, who just had a birthday on Wednesday, Happy birthday, my friend, belated.
Speaker 11: Happy birthday, Gary Jeff. A happy and blessed new year for you and all your kins.
Speaker 1: And you as well, sir, this morning, as you said when you text me, one of our favorite topics the early shutdown of another boone doggles solar project. And by the way, thanks to President Trump, these ridiculous wind farms are at least at a pause right now in the ocean right the burden whale killers. But tell me about this boondoggle solar project as three Mile Island just fired up again in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: What do you got for Steve?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 11: Just comes from a Newslayer I get the Access to Energy for September of twenty twenty five, Although the article actually comes from the Institute for Energy Research in October of this year. Next year, the identhaul solar power facility will be shutting down for good. This is the article is called California shuts down at solar thermal plant thirteen years early. This boondoggle was built between twenty ten and twenty fourteen at a cost of two point two billion, that's billion with a B of this one point six billion was paid with taxpayer of taxpayer government grant approved by the Obama regime, advertised as the latest technology that would help us from quote unquote global warming and built near the California Nevada border. The facility uses one hundred seventy three thousand, five hundred computer controlled mirrors to focus sunlight onto three four hundred and sixty foot towers. This covered five square miles of desert, so think the five square miles just roughly two and a quarter mile by two and a quarter miles square. It also required the relocation of the endangered desert tortoise. Amazing to concentray the energy, heats up water to produce steam and that to generate electricity. And this is the steam technology. There is just very you know, very well grunted science, so fantastic to make electricity, but when you're using solar power to do it, it just didn't work. In fact, the plant resorted to heating to supplement heating of the water with natural gas in order to generate enough decent amount of energy. It was also well known for frying birds. When you concentrate sunlight and beam it toward a power result in a nice beam, and it cooked anything in its path. It's rather like leaving Star Wars laser weapon on all the time. Awarding the Association of Avian Veterinarians, at least six thousand birds per year were pried. Of course, the company made plenty of money slices of the one point six billion dollars and tax Their subsidies were distributed to everybody involve. And now it's a decade later, and it's time to shut down, to move on to other ways to grab our tax money.
Speaker 1: Now yeah, now, now that they've stolen the money, it's time to shut it down.
Speaker 7: Gosh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 11: It goes on to say, essentially rational clinic critics at the time the plant was built were actually wrong. They were right the design was impractical, but they missed the point. The purpose of the project was to distribute tax money and score political points for the Obama regime, not generate electricity, and pretty much that can be said for pretty much every quote unquote green energy project we have today. It's not about generating electricity, it's about distributing our tax money to everybody. Yeah, so historically the state has not fared well picking winners and losers. The same to be said said about green energy projects relying on taxpayer subsidies.
Speaker 1: So hold on, let me, let me get this straight. Steve Yep, they had to relocate the desert tortoise for this, this solar boondoggle.
Speaker 11: But you got to realize, you put these mirrors up of five square miles, you basically make it all shape. But but but.
Speaker 1: They also wouldn't they wouldn't let the water flow into the reservoirs because they were worried about some fish in the Pacific Ocean.
Speaker 2: And so so.
Speaker 1: They weren't worried about the desert tortoise. Well, we can just move that, but but they were worried about the little fish. And that's why all those people's houses burned in the Palisade fires. Yeah, there are no water in the hydrants, but.
Speaker 11: Come on, California, remember you gotta remember that there this project was fighting man made catastrophic climate change. Of course we can, we can move the tortoises Gee.
Speaker 1: Kind of sounds like the BLM riots where they weren't they weren't required to wear masks during COVID because that was a great cause. It's I mean, the hypocrisy never ends. My friend, Happy New Year. We'll talk to you soon. I hope you had a great birthday and Christmas. It's twelve minutes past the hour now, seven hundred WLW late tonight, still warm. Tomorrow times. Square ball that drops for New Year's Eve to celebrate to bring in twenty twenty six will be red, white and blue to celebrate America's two hundred and fiftieth birthday, of course, coming up in July of this year. We're just about there, two hundred and fifty. How many more do we have left? That's the real question. Don't have the answer, But I do have some Tom Davis diaries to share with you, wild wacky stories.
Speaker 2: I call these the.
Speaker 1: And our corresponding all your long Tom Davis, who calls these together and reports them to you as standing with the last.
Speaker 15: Good morning, Gary, Jeff, this week no more on camera nose picking. But first to Thailand we go, where an American man is accused of cheating on a curry eating contest. He was allegedly caught on camera stuffing rice in his pants pockets with five minutes to go that night, he was declared the winner after eating seventeen and a half pounds of curry for a grand prize of seven hundred dollars. Bangkok's Gold Curry eatery, where the treachery allegedly took place, is apparently calling the man out on social media, demanding their money back. Closer to home, in Trumbull County, Ohio, cops are pulling over Amish drunk drivers. Two Amish men were spotted with a twelve pack while on a horse power buggy. They jumped off ran into the woods, leaving the horse and the buggy behind. They were apparently pretty fast guys too, because they got away. No one in the Amish community is talking either. Police are still looking for them. In Georgia, a fight broke out at a Dollar General between a married couple and the cashier. The couple was inquiring about the price of aluminum foil. They then got angry started yelling at the clerk and then decided to trash the store. They ran for it, they too got away and finally, the NFL is picking sides on the nose picking controversy. The NFL has warned Detroit Lions players to stop their nose picking celebrations after touchdowns. Their wide receiver was told to cease the mimicking gesture. Reps have crackdown on Lions player celebrations before. In fact, they've been issued fines for previous gestures. Next year, the Maryland doctor who says he can regrow your ears, have a good weekend and a happy new Year.
Speaker 1: So you get another hour of this Saturday Morning edition for Saturday, December twenty seventh, twenty twenty five. Gary Jeff Walker with you the uh the aftermath, the after glow of Christmas, on the way to New Year's Day, and a wonderful chance to be with you again.
Speaker 2: In between, time for a science minute our friends Science Mike standing up.
Speaker 9: Yes as a nightly scientist, he was surprising it no blinding me with inde.
Speaker 2: Uh. So Michael, tell me a little bit about your Christmas. What'd you do?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 8: Family came over around six o'clock that night and we had. Uh we had Italian tying through Uh we have we have had chige revol and meet balls and I car remember there's a there was an older family that made raviolis in Newport and they finally went back started making them again and uh we went over to a market where they distributed them to a local distributor. Now and we had My wife remembered him when they she was growing up and uh, so that's what we had for dinner. One grandson, so he opened up. He was the focus of the of the night so.
Speaker 1: Well on Christmas night because we went to Tennessee to see mom and dad on Christmas Eve morning. Yeah, and spent the afternoon and the night with him and woke up the next morning, went over to my brother's house, also in the middle Tennessee area, and we left before dinner. I just wanted to get back before dark. But we did stop at BUCkies on the way and so Christmas night, Christ and I had had BUCkies brisket sandwiches, which were absolutely delicious.
Speaker 8: Did you did you fill out that pop number two and forty three.
Speaker 1: Didn't need gas, No, but we got some brisket sandwiches. One of these huge cobb salads that they make which are delicious, a thing of bouta, which is a Louisiana kind of sausage rice treat that I love, and uh got a couple of gifts from for people who watched Frankie while we were gone. But it was it was a very nice Christmas on the way. Great to be with family, you know, and that that's what it's really all about to me, seeing the family members. And I feel bad for people who are, you know, either because of whatever reason, maybe everybody's just gone, they don't have family around, because to me, that's what makes Christmas Christmas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, what do you got this morning?
Speaker 8: I listened to your your birthday show and yeah, congratulations of all that.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry I.
Speaker 8: Couldn't make it. Uh, but that's the doctor Somarco with the with the rod Nathan. I know we don't have much time, Gary, Jeff, that's right.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm very I.
Speaker 8: Just want On wl w T, it does read that they actually looked at missus Nathan's autopsy report and the liver sample on and says she did not have hepatized pace from the from liver sample. But you go to the w CPO site, and Jones's attorney says multiple BORE certified physicians reviewed the comments lack of information Nthan's liver support she did not have hepatize B, and they said that shows a shocky misunderstanding of how hepty and how it manifests h And I look at the the I said, would hepatize be show up in the liver culture quickly? And the information is no, it does not show up show offensively in liver cultures, but it does show up and what they call the macrophages of the liver immediately in the liver, so you can actually biopsy the liver and look at the microphages for hept B right away. And it takes almost nine weeks worth to enter the blood to be to be visible in the in a blood sample. And then I figured, well, you know, there's so much confusion.
Speaker 2: Going on in this.
Speaker 8: I don't think anybody knows exactly what what the heck of reading.
Speaker 2: Well, there was only a one in three chance. Uh, yeah, Jones.
Speaker 1: Would would have had hepatitis be even if Rodonathan had hepatitis be.
Speaker 8: Right, But they're all focusing on the fact that she did have it right, Yeah, and he and he didn't. So, but I said, can help have be can be confirmed in an exune body? Absolutely they can. If I was, if I was the family of that that that lady, especially you know, the sun still around, you can I know this is gett a little little, but you can exumee the body and actually find that the HEP surface antigen still in the liver and and the virus DNA still in the body. And they actually do this in mummies there were thousands of years old. But I just I just don't. I just well, I just find it. I just find it hard to believe that actually had somebody look at a liver sample, and you know, so much conflicting.
Speaker 1: The whole discussion Michael, about hepatitis BE and whether she did or didn't have it, and whether Elwood Jones would have had it if he had murdered her, and all of this is is that is moot because there was plenty of evidence to suggest that yes, he should have very convicted, agreed, and and and you noticed that Elwood didn't waste any time being in trouble with the law once he was free.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I saw that. But I just think that they're going to focus on this I just think I just think that they just somebody needs needs to, you know, do the correct science, and something something screwed up in the paperwork, and I just think I needed to look at it closer. But that's my opinion on this whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, uh there you go. My my feeling, my feeling is. My feeling is mister Jones will find his way back to prison sooner or later anyway. Eight twelve and I hope not. Eight twelve, seven hundred WLW, Good morning kids, time will give strawally true love never dies. Grandpa and Grandma sitting on their front porch rockers, watching a beautiful sunset and reminiscing about the good old days. When Grandma turns to Grandpa and says, honey, do you remember when we first started dating and you used to just casually reach over and take my hand. Grandpa looks at her, smiles and took her age at hand in his with a wry little smile. Grandma pressed a little bit farther, honey, do you remember how after we were engaged sometimes you'd lean over and suddenly just kiss me on the cheek. Grandpa leaned slowly towards Grandma and gave her a lingering kiss on her wrinkled cheek, growing bolder. Grandma's is, Honey, do you remember how after we were first married and you'd kind of nibble on my ear? Grandpa nodded and slowly got up from his rocker and headed into the house. Grandma said, Honey, where are you going? Grandpa said, to get my teeth Eastern that is. And a Saturday morning again together here on seven utter WLW Garry Jeff Walker, the last Saturday of the year, heading into a new year in a busy, busy college football bowl weekend, and looking ahead to New Year's Eve and New Year's Day to talk about all that and more.
Speaker 2: Our friend Moegger joins us again. Hey, mo, how are you doing. We're doing okay.
Speaker 1: These EHL hockey players not so much apparently. The thing I know some people who work for the Cyclones and work is kind of like that's an operative term because I mean, they don't get paid very much, but they love hockey, so that's why they work Cyclones games when the Clones are home. They were planning on working today until the strike came about with the Hockey Players Union against the EHL over working conditions and salary, all of the usual things. But they made a good point. The game may get played tonight at Heritage Bank Arena because they may have replacements. And the thing they told me yesterday is that what these players may or may not understand, there are plenty of players in the wings who waiting to go ahead and lace up the skates and play. It's not exactly one of those situations where it's going to be hard for scabs to walk across the picket lines of minor league hockey players.
Speaker 2: But I don't know. I just.
Speaker 1: One of the gripes, apparently, is that in the NHL they never have to play more than two nights in a row, and these guys, you know, they're barnstorming for very little money with very little prospect of really making it to the bigs, and they sometimes they're having to go three games in a row on the road, and it's pretty grueling. I guess you have to really love hockey, I guess if you want to play in the minors.
Speaker 2: In any thoughts on any of.
Speaker 4: That, well, you mentioned the prospect of replacement players, and what I think is interesting about that is, you know, if we were talking about the upper reaches of the sport, right the NHL, which the NHL has gone through lockouts missed an entire season about twenty years ago. Fans aren't going to accept replacement players at the highest level of sport. I think that would have been the case with Major League Baseball when they briefly attempted it in nineteen ninety five. It was clearly the case with the National Football League in nineteen eighty seven, and I think would be the case in the NHL. But the ECCHL is not the upper reaches of the sport. It's it's actually the one of the lowest levels of professional hockey there is. That's not to say that those players aren't supremely talented. That's not to say that some of those guys you know aren't going to have a chance to one day make the NHL. But I would wonder this, your average Cincinnati Cyclones ticket buyer, how much do they really care about the quality of the play and would they accept a level of play that was maybe a wrung or two below what they're ordinarily getting at the ECCHL. Look, the Cincinnati Cyclones are a really cool local sports entity.
Speaker 2: They do a great job.
Speaker 4: With promotions, and on the ice they have been more than competitive for a very very long time.
Speaker 2: But I don't know that.
Speaker 4: Many people who go to Cincinnati Cyclones games who know who any of the players are. And that's no not going to any of the players. I think it's just a reality of the market. You know, Cyclones games are not on television, they're not on local radio. The coverage they get, frankly pales in comparison to some of the larger entities in town. That doesn't mean they don't have very good players, it doesn't mean the on ice product can't be compelling. But I would wonder how many fans would go, you know what, on a Saturday night, I go to have a beer, I go for whatever the promotion is, and I go to see some hockey, and if the hockey isn't nearly as good, that's okay. I would wonder that in terms of what the EHL players are looking for, Like I certainly understand, you know, you only get so many opportunities to bargain in professional sports. You only get so many opportunities to use your leverage. Players are doing that. I would wonder how much is this going to hurt the wallets of EHL owners, but some of the things they're looking for. You know, the Cyclones will have weekends where they will play a game on Friday night, They'll play a game on Saturday night, They'll play a game on Sunday afternoon. That's three games in less than forty eight hours, often in multiple cities. I can understand that not necessarily being something that players want to continue. I think they're fighting for better equipment. I can certainly understand that. I think they're fighting for more days off, better travel conditions, obviously better pay. I'd beligned you if I told you I've dove I've gone deep into what the average ECHL player makes.
Speaker 2: But we'll see.
Speaker 4: But I think you make a really interesting point because I don't know, like I'll go to like two Cyclones games a year, and they're a blast, and they do a great job, and I like hockey. I think if I had tickets for a game and I was going to be told you get replacement EHL players, I think I'd probably shrug my shoulders and go, let's go. Whereas I don't think I would do that if I had tickets to an NHL game, or an NBA game, or an NFL game, or a Major League Baseball game, and they were going to put out replacement players because of a labor stoppage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean helmets that actually protect them and fit. I can understand how that might be an issue. But part of EHL contracts right now, and they were telling you this these guys at work clones games, is that they do get a free apartment and they get health benefits. They've all been evicted from their apartments as of the moment that the strike occurred. So that's what I've been told. So, you know, to be homeless and to be out of a hockey gig, I don't know if that's the best move possible.
Speaker 2: But like I said, and what I would wonder is what I would.
Speaker 4: Wonder is, like, you know, in Major League Baseball, there's a strike fund right where if the if the Players Association says, look, we think there's going to be a work stoppage, they will have their players stash money aside for a stoppage fund. Now it's major League Baseball, very few players are worried about their housing. But I think that raises another good question because this this just landed on my radar last week. I happened to see a social media post by the EHL Players Association.
Speaker 7: I had no.
Speaker 4: Idea that we were talking about a potential strike, but I am curious, and I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Look into this.
Speaker 4: I am curious as to, you know, what, what what what plans were made to account for the players not being able to live in the organization or team subsidized housing that they receive. I think it's a good question. I don't necessarily know that the answer is going to be all that hard to find, but I am curious.
Speaker 1: I'm actually a little disappointed that the Snoop Dog Bowl is being played in Arizona and not in Mile High Stadium.
Speaker 4: Well done done, I remind your red Ox and the frant Noo State Bulldogs.
Speaker 2: In the Snoop Dog Bowl.
Speaker 1: Exactly are you surprised? I mean anymore, it's become commonplace that we have all these bowl games. But I mean, there are bowl games just to have bowl games, it seems, and you know, we're all waiting. At least I am chomping at the bit for the main entree on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day with the football playoff? How much do you think people care about these various and sundry other Bowl games unless they're fans of that the schools that are in them.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's hard to I think it's hard to ask fans to care about them when oftentimes the players and coaches don't share enough to either play or coaching them.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 4: I mean, at the end of the day, when you have some of these games where the players or the coaches involved will say I'm opting out, well, then you know fans inevitably are going to follow the line.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the one thing keeping these ball games afloat is gambling, right, because there are still a lot of folks who loved the wage were on college football and love to find an edge. And it doesn't necessarily matter who's playing, and I'm talking about in terms of the best players who's playing in the games. They'll see a point spread they like and they'll make a wager. The reality is those ball games. ESPN loves the inventory. They eat a lot of innings this time of year, especially playing in times where maybe the NBA isn't playing and there's no college basketball, and the games actually do pretty well. It's funny. Christmas Eve night we had the Hawaii Ball on. It was California and Hawaii. It was actually a fight in the game. It's a pretty good football game, and you just kind of have it on because it's football. I think if yes with with a ball that was being played early in the day, Central Michigan was one of the teams, and it goes to show you how little the game actually registered because I couldn't remember who the other team was, but.
Speaker 2: It was football and it was on.
Speaker 4: And so I think those bowls, you know, sort of hang in the background just enough because there's people who do that. But yeah, look, I mean there was a time where New Year's even New Year's Day, you would line up all these ball games and they felt like they had some gravitas.
Speaker 2: That is not the case anymore, right.
Speaker 1: I am looking for other than the playoff games. I am looking forward to the noon game on New Year's Eve because it's my Vanderbilt Commodores against my dad's Iowa Hawkeyes. And if we could only be back in Tennessee for that. I love that NFL down to the last two weeks and very little drama left about who is going to be in the playoffs, at least in the NFC. I mean, I think that they're what the question between what the Carolina Panthers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. That's the only possible slot that will change depending on the games. But in the AFC, you know, the Pittsburgh Steelers. I really didn't expect the Steelers to be there at the end. I expected it would be Baltimore's year, or maybe the Bengals early before the season started. Are you surprised that the Steelers are once again knocking on the door of being in the playoffs, and not only being in the playoffs but winning the AFC?
Speaker 4: Nor surprise, not shocked. I thought when Baltimore dug themselves out of that one in five hole to even themselves up at five and five, it kind of felt like they were set to take off and run and it didn't. Never really happen. Pittsburgh won the head to head matchup. Lord Jackson has not been himself. I don't know that he's gonna play tonight because he's got a back. Obviously, the Bengals issues have been well documented. But you know, there was a time at mid November where Aaron Rodgers was playing like a guy his age, where you say that that Pittsburgh defense was a little bit of an underachiever collectively, and I do give them credit. They did beat the Ravens in their building. They came back and beat the Bengals after losing to them in Cincinnati in October. They went to Detroit last week and beat a desperate Lions team. I think they got some help from the officials, but still beat a death Lions team. And Aaron Rodgers has played capably. They've recommitted themselves.
Speaker 2: To running the football.
Speaker 4: They've gotten by defensively despite not having TJ.
Speaker 8: Watt.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 4: That I take Pittsburgh that seriously as a bona fide Super Bowl contender, but somebody had to win the AFC North. The Bengals couldn't rise to the challenge. The Ravens haven't been able to rise to the challenge. Pittsburgh just needs one win in their last two games or a Baltimore loss in one of their last two games, and they'll be division champs. And champions deserve credit. I'll begrudgingly get it. Give it to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 1: I'm really disappointed that the Lions got drummed out, but they're so decimated by injuries, especially in that defense that they really couldn't compete as the season wound down.
Speaker 4: You agree, I agree, and you know it highlights I think two things. Number One, coaching matters in this league, and I've always believed if you go back more than a decade, Marvin Lewis when he was the coach of the Bengals, I think his finest single season coaching job took place in twenty fourteen because that season they had a ton of injuries, but he had two new coordinators offensively and defensively. They won ten games, tied one, went into their last game of the season with a chance to win the division, made the playoffs, didn't win a playoff game, obviously, but I think that season, if you watch closely, it illustrated how hard it is to replace both coordinators. The Detroit Lions had to do that this year, and I think they felt that impact. The other thing is, you know, this was a team to two years ago had a two touchdown lead in the NFC Championship game and lost. Had the best record in the sport last year, had home field throughout, lost at home, win closed very quickly. In the NFL, I think we've seen that to a degree here in Cincinnati, and Dan Campbell, the coach at Alliance, after that NFC Championship game in San Francisco two years ago when they had a big lead and lost, said this might have been our best chance. You know, you don't want to really believe that in real time. It's kind of like the Bengals Afterday lost the Super Bowl. It was great that they got there, but you wondered after that game, you know, is this going to be their best chance? Turns out, at least to this point, it has been. I think in Detroit, it's not so much about what they haven't been able to do this year. They have had a ton of injuries. It's the missed opportunities of the last couple of seasons sort of echoing through this season of change and disappointment.
Speaker 1: Moeger, have a happy new year and we look forward to talking to you in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 16: Counselor, how are you hey? I'm good, Gary, Jeff? How about you tell me what's on the show today. Oh, I'll tell you what. More craziness in Minnesota. You are not gonna believe this. One four million bucks was giving to a learning center with no students and the sign in front of the player. They misspelled learning I'm hot kidding. You can't make this stuff up. You can't make it up. The confirmed fraud now is about eleven billion. By the way, we are going to be talking to Janis Heisel at believe ten o'clock or ten thirty. She's on it like White on Rice. Jimmy Kimmel back in the news he takes shots at Trump while in the UK. You know so much for the unwritten rule that you don't criticize your president or your country when you're out of the country. We're gonna wrap it up by talking to FOP President Ken Kober, Gonna get his thoughts on the Elwood Jones O VII, Fiesco and some other things going on with CPD.
Speaker 1: Lots of college football bowl games. Come join us at the after the show show at Huddles if you dare weather it's gonna be nice today, good driving, and we'll see you then slinging drinks for Hillbillies and others. As I'd like to say, the Saturday midday Show with Mike come it up next.