Speaker 1: It's the weekend Sterling back seven hundred WLW, guy who knows from betting in sports for ESPN chalk. You may have even seen him all over TV the last couple of days. I know I have David Purdham. Welcome back to seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: How are you man, I'm doing great, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: You know, usually I'm here to talk about like odds for a World Series or a Super Bowl or maybe some like Final Four action. But occasionally in the midst of sports betting things come up. But a couple of weeks ago was the NBA thing. We've talked about point shaving and stuff like that too. The last couple of days it's been in the NCAA basketball sort of realm, if you will, Can you break down in short order what exactly has transpired and where we are now sitting in the midst of what continues to be I guess an evolving story and court proceeding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely so. Yesterday federal authorities in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania unsealed a seventy page indictment that outlined a point shavings that had been going on for the previous two seasons. Thirty twenty six people were indicted. Thirty nine was a thirty nine games, some of the twenty five games something around there dozens of games. Seventeen college teams had players on there that had been impacted. And this thing went on for two years. It was a gambling ring that has some crossover to the people that were involved in the NBA betting scandals from earlier. This fall their last ball, I should say, So, yeah, that's where we're at right now.
Speaker 1: It's ugly, it really is so. David Purdam from ESPN Chalk was sterling on the big one. So when you think about the sheer number of colleges and universities playing basketball competitively across the United States, I mean, how many student athletes and how many schools are involved. To say that twenty or twenty five particular games or teams and twenty students seems really small. But when it comes to the integrity of the game, it's a pretty big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: It is a big deal, and I certainly when I put this out here, just I want people to realize that, yes, we do not want any games fixed. However, there are six thousand men's college basketball games perst season roughly six thousand a little bit over actually six thousand games, so two years. This thing went on for two years, and the FEDS found that they had manipulated or got kids to compromise twenty nine of those games. So twenty nine games and look at a twelve thousand. It's not a lot. It's too many, right, it's too many. We don't want that. But saying that we're going to completely eliminate and not have game fixing, it just kind of flies in the face of history because college basketball, you can go back to the nineteen fifties, has always had an issue with point shaving schemes, and in the nineties it's forged all the way up into the mid two thousands, all the way to the legalization of sports betting in twenty eighteen. About every three to five years you would get a point shape scale that would pop up. Now, this one is bigger than all those probably put together. But I just think that people should before they start going, oh, everything is rigged, right, Well, no, not everything is rigged. A small, very percentage of games college basketball games have been proven to have been fixed, but it's not a huge amount.
Speaker 1: Talking to David Perdamy covers sports betting for ESPN Chalk with Stirling on seven hundred WLW. So how did this end up getting the attention of law enforcement? Because my guess is all above board betting houses. I mean, they're going to notice variances in the amount of money on certain games or certain players. I mean, does this play into the prop bet question that a lot of people have talked about too, because I know Ohio has done a band when it comes to the high school level because they didn't want that getting into that realm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, prop bets weren't a factor in these games. These were people that were fixing or asking the players to fix complete games, point spreads and first halfs. But you know they did it for a long time. So how they figured it out? Again, there's that crossover. There's two gentlemen defendants that were also implicated and charged in the NBA betting scandal. Those same two guys were charged yesterday in this college. So they're part of this gambling ring that has been targeting sports for quite a while. They started over with the Chinese Basketball Association way over in China. They got somea forre NBA players that were over there, guys from the US got them to try to compromise some games and fed them inside information. That started in about September twenty two, according to the indictment. After that, before the twenty twenty three college basketball season, they turned their focus to college basketball and what they did is recruit kids that they had known. They got a guy that is part of the fixers, they called him, according to the FEDS, who trained kids coming up out of North Carolina, right young basketball players. He reached back out to kids they knew other connections. They started offering them bribes. Bribes are ten thousand to thirty thousand dollars according to the indictment. Hey we'll give you this in exchange. You play poorly in this game right here, so we can win our bets.
Speaker 1: And when it comes down to the integrity of the game, I mean, as a fan, there's one thing. As a conference, there's a thing, there's an issue with the school, there's an issue with the players. There's a question obviously. Also, I mean pick a place where you do your betting, because I mean, their livelihood's also involved in this. And then everyone else who's throwing money on the line for any particular game, how does. How do the big betting houses, whether it's in house, casino or on a phone or on app or whatever website, how do they navigate this to make sure that people have trust because this could, I'm guessing, affect the long term their development in their business.
Speaker 2: I mean people always oh, the bookmakers are in on it or whatever. No, the bookmakers are who loses when this stuff happens, right, It's their money that is taken by these guys. So on the other hand, I don't think they did themselves very many favors in this scheme because they took two large e bets on these obscure games, these twenty nine games have a compromise. It's all small schools, right, You're talking in Coppin State, Northwestern State. Probly the biggest two names were DePaul and too Late, but there were no big major conference teams. They went after this teams and the kids that come from these small conferences that maybe don't get the big nil deals and maybe don't have a lot of extra money running around, maybe don't think you know what, I'm probably not going to the NBA, don't have much a professional career, so this is my chance to get a few Bucks and that's what they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean local news here without being specific, I think mentioned Northern Kentucky University, which accords us a Horizon League. So I mean that sort of fits exactly the qualifiers that you just mentioned. Talking to David Purdamy covers betting for sports stuff ESPN chalk with Sterling on seven hundred WLW. So moving forward then, am I guessing that the NCAA and a lot of these schools across the border going to be having meetings And I mean the only thing I can compare this to is Plugola, payola issues or someone in the business of stocks and stuff where you have someone come in every year and you have to take tests and prove that you understand guidelines and rules and how you go about your business. Is that the way it works at the college level.
Speaker 2: They do the kids do get education, and they do sign when they sign their letters of intent or their scholarships, you know it's honest services. You're going to come out here and give your best. So there are those things involved. The problem is that, like I said before, you're never going to completely eliminate this. Whenever there's huge amounts of money and these guys were getting down four hundred thousand dollars, you know, on a series of bet not all one bet, but they'd spread it out through a bunch of different sports books, a bunch of accounts, and they get that much on a game. And if whenever you're able to do that, there's an incentive to try to pull these schemes. Of course, until we figure out a way to decrease that incentive, it's going to be very difficult to stop these things completely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and that's sort of the nature of anything, I guess dealing with money. But it gets a difference when it comes to games of skill and somebody saying, my knee was bothering me, my shot was off or whatever. I mean, it gets really really uncomfortable for somebody having to navigate this. How much more challenging, David, And you may not be able to answer this, but I can't imagine being a coach or a recruiter and you're going to high school to high school, or you know, you're you're dealing with your players in your own conference situation, and you've got all these different things that you have to concern yourself with. Then it's nil and how much money can we get the team to you know, these players, to keep a team together or to get a new team next season, and then you got to worry about outside for us dangling even more money at them, especially on that lower rung or you know, not top ten conference kind of scenarios. I mean, it's it's wild.
Speaker 2: It's very, very, very difficult environment right now. It's unfortunate because we want these kids to have opportunities. Even if they're not going to the major Division one comps, we still want the kids to play, right, most of these kids just love to play basketball. And for people that have nefarious intentions to come get involved and to compromise and to manipulate these kids, it's disgusting. And I hope that we get some sort of deterrent factor from this, where these people serve some jail time and everybody kind of goes, hey, I don't want to do that. I don't want to try to get in jail to make a few bucks off some bets. It just doesn't make sense. So I hope we do get a de terres factor from all these indictments.
Speaker 1: You know. The thing also that's interesting. David Perdin from ESPN shalk on the big one with Stirling is it wasn't that long ago that we were talking about the issue of fans and betters harassing players, kids, students and so forth in the midst of this because they were, you know, not performing at the level that they expected or wanted because it was costing them money. So, I mean, from all different vantage points, this has become a much murkier scenario. Did you expect this on the outside looking in as this was growing and opening up a little bit. I mean, I guess it makes sense that it would just be something that comes part and parcel with the endeavor that it is.
Speaker 2: I certainly thought there would be issues at the college level, the lower level colleges like we see. I was surprised that we've seen so many issues in the NBA and in Major League Baseball, where you had the two Cleveland Guardians pitchers indicted on charges that they kind of participated in some sort of scheme about manipulating individual pitches for betting purpose. Those guys make a lot of money, right the preessional athletes million dollars salaries, a million, multimillion dollar salaries, So I am surprised that they have been willing or we got themselves into those kinds of situations. I do think again that there's going to be This is going to in the long run, it's going to make people think twice about getting into these types of situations. More this stuff gets publicized, more they say, hey, this is not worth it. We're trying to go out there and fix a few games or whatever. So hopefully society will.
Speaker 4: Start to adjust to the new atmosphere that we have where gambling is everywhere, sports betting is everywhere, but you still can do it responsibly and not you know, with nefarious intentions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that makes sense now in short order, because we appreciate you making time. David Bernin from espnschalk with Sterling on the big one. I'm always curious about this, the growth of the industry, and we've talked about it. What is the dominoes of fallen state by state from Ohio across the country. How have those numbers done in the last six months to a year. Have we seen continued growth? Are anything sort of abating with this or is it just still all you know, full on gas go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is still continuing to grow month after month when the states report their numbers on how much is wagered and how much the sports big wins. It continues to grow, and now we have different sides of the market where we got these prediction markets and those kind of like a stock market for sports. Those are kind of working outside of the traditional state by state regulations. They say they're working under the CFTC, the federal guidelines they're offering and there's a lot of money being traded on sports outcomes and those things. So yeah, we're continuing to grow, and we still do not have full legalization in the biggest states Texas is in your California's. Once those come on board, markets can almost double. So we're not to the peak yet, but we're growing.
Speaker 1: It's pretty interesting, and you think about just overall with the growth of it, it's astounding that it continues to have all of this. I appreciate you doing what you do. It's all was fascinating and I just you know, people should be able to be free to bet and do what they want, and you just hope it's all above board, and I guess we'll see what the penalties are and if things change. Thanks for making time. You can see him everywhere now, especially and certainly hear him and read him. ESPN Chalks David pergam Was Sterling on seven hundred WLUB. You take care of yourself, managery the rest of your weekend and thank.
Speaker 2: You, thank you you two night for a whole.
Speaker 1: Lot of people. Seven hundred WLW Sterling Hanging, Joe Waddell Producing, Matt Reese Wood News, Kevin Carr, Silver Gecko on the substack with us as well house everything. Does it feel like the weekend, do you? Kevin Carr, Well.
Speaker 5: Finally, yeah, Yeah, that's what I've been waiting for the whole time. Even write a song about it. Everyone's working for the weekend. Come on, and you're working on the weekend. What's going on? Man?
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's just my life as I know it. I look to you for guidance and help and assistance, and all you're doing is rubbing my nose in and I don't think I like it at all.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know. I'm just trying to get you to better yourself.
Speaker 1: I'm glad I'm trying so hard for so long. I'm trying. I'm trying.
Speaker 6: I hear it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know. I appreciate you making time as always. Now I want to for those who are uninitiated, your silver gecko on the substack, you were fat guys at the movies. We've done the Chubby and Stick podcast, which is still out there someplace. In some fashion. You do other things. You do comics, you tell and write stories. You will deliver stuff to people's inboxes a mailbox, not in person. I mean, you don't work for the postal service, but I mean that's what the silver gecko on the substack is part of that.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I'm not going to deliver a package and put it like right in front of the door so you can't open the door either. That's it all comes virtually. Yeah, the substack is basically it showcases some of the stuff I do, which involves a weekly cartoon I do with my son. They're very funny. You should check them out. They're called the Blockheads. I do a short story flash fiction less than ninety nine words and then or or ninety nine words or less. I also do my movie reviews on there, and I do excerpts from my stuff. I've written books and anthologies and that sort of thing. So there's a lot of stuff, and you know, even chubbing Stick shows up there every now and then I've dropped an episode or two into the feed for that.
Speaker 1: Well, i'll have to talk off here about Like I said, somebody asked me about that, about re releasing some of this, so I don't know how that works, but we'll discuss that at another time. What I am curious about also is there was twenty eight days Later, there was twenty eight weeks later. There was more than twenty eight weeks between those releases. Then there was the twenty eight years later, and that was a whole lot of weight. And then now there's a new twenty eight years that the Bone Temple. I don't understand what's going on now.
Speaker 5: Well, well, okay, so like twenty eight Days Later was essentially a lot of people call it a zombie movie. Came out in two thousand and three. I think it's not really a zombie movie as much as a it's a virus that causes this rage effect in people, but they act like zombies. Yeah, the best way to describe it. So, yeah, it's a zombie movie even though they're not dead. And that's what Twenty eight Days Later a brilliant movie by Danny Boyle. You should check it out if you've not seen it. Then a couple of years later they did twenty eight weeks later, which was about them because it takes place in the Scottish Highlands and they were able to isolate it there, but it was then getting another outbreak from that because they thought it was they figured by this point all the all the quote unquote zombies will have starved to death, but bad things happened. That was not directed by Danny Boyle, and then he came back just last year and did twenty eight years later, and it's not quite twenty eight years from when they made it, but it's pretty.
Speaker 1: Close, which is really disturbing.
Speaker 5: By the way, I know, kind of terrifying. Yeah, it's I think it's been what twenty two twenty three years, so now in the twenty eight years later, it was about this small commune that lives on this island off the Scottish Highland coast and then kind of come back into Scotland to try and find things, but they're dealing with all these creatures in the woods and bad things happen. And they did a sequel to it that sort of fleshes out this story with some of the characters, one of them played by Ray Fines and did essentially a sequel. They must have had that thing queued up, because I think twenty eight years later came out like in I want to say, like August or July, and they had this one ready to go this week. It's directed by Nia da Costa, and she did movies like she did a Candy Man reboot a couple of years ago, she did the Marvels, And I know a lot of people kind of turn the nose up at that, but that you know that she was a hired gun for that one, you know, doing doing a Marvel movie. But she's got her roots in horror and disturbing stuff. So that's what this twenty eight weeks or excuse me, twenty eight years later, The Bone Temple is about. It follows this kid from the previous film who ended up getting sort of rescued in quotes by this satanic cult that believes that the creatures are basically Satan's wrath on earth and they're doing really bad things. And then they run into a fine character from the first film, who's this doctor who looks insane but he really knows what he's doing. And it kind of fleshes out those stories very well done, But let me tell you it's disturbing. It's a disturbing horror movie through and through, and there's a lot of unpleasant stuff. So I don't want you to think it's just, you know, this lighthearted, this sort of horror movie romper even meant to be tongue in cheek. It's not even like a terror fier movie, which they can be violent, but they can also be kind of silly at times. Know, this one's deadly serious and it's not for the week of stomach or the week of heart, let's just put it that way. But it's well made.
Speaker 1: Now comparabile. You're talking to Kemic Carr, by the way, he is silver Gecko on Stubstack about this new Bone Temple movie. The twenty eight years later sort of canuation if you will. So is this the most disturbing of the other twenty eight days weeks years movies?
Speaker 5: Well, well, certainly twenty eight days later and twenty eight weeks later. We're both the bad guy was the zombies so to speak to Yeah, that does with the bad guys in this one and in a little bit of the last. The most previous both twenty eight years later ones, the bad guys are the humans that are left alive. You know, you've got this satanic cult running around doing really disturbing. I mean, I have a friend in New York who was he was talking about there are people walking out of the screening because it has some very unpleasant stuff. You know, it just don't warn you.
Speaker 1: It's like that doesn't happen regularly.
Speaker 5: No, I mean it does, but it's like it's it's kind of like sort of like the mainstream American horror. Yes, it can be gory and grow, but it's in the sort of a slasher sort of way. You know. No one ever really took the Friday the Thirteenth movies or Nightmare on Elm Street or Halloween movies as being anything that's really kind of viscerally real. They're all kind of cartoonish in their own way. This is, you know, very disturbing, you know, and and I don't know if it's for everybody. That would be my big caution for it, because I was uncomfortable watching some of it because I'm just like, yeah, I don't mean to see this. But it does pay off, you know, as you get through the rest of the movie.
Speaker 1: All right, So it sounds actually interesting. I don't know if I'm ready to be traumatized. How many movies do you think have traumatized you over the years.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean it depends. I mean something like I've always I've talked several times on this show about seeing Invasion of the Body Snatchers that the kid that sticks with you. But for me, what traumatizes me? And I don't I'm using trauma pretty pretty loosely here. I'm not going to war or anything like that. But something that gets under your skin and it disturbs you. Usually it's got to be something real. Gotta be something where somebody's doing something really objectively harmful and being okay with it, you know, And it's usually something real crimes. If you've got a were wolf eeding somebody, I could watch that all day, because I mean, we don't have wear.
Speaker 1: Wolves that well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe there are, who knows, But but you know, like like home Invasion things that those kind of things. I'm not a big fan of those movies. I also, and I gotta put this on the record, when somebody says to me, I've had people say, oh, you should see this movie. It's brutal, or you should see this movie. It wrecked me, and I'm like, why do I want to see that? Why don't I want to see a movie that makes me feel awful. I'd rather watch something, you know, fun or not uplifting. I'm not like trying to say everything needs to be Mayberry movies, but you know, you have some fun with it. I just I can't stand the ones that it's just like, we just want to make you cry and suffer for like two hours.
Speaker 1: Like Human Centipede. There was nothing. I don't know if there was anything positive about that movie other than it was disturbing. I mean, I don't know how they got that movie made, or though they made more than one of those EP.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, it was like a European production and Tom six did it, and I can't remember what country he did in, but it was somewhere in Europe, and it was at the time. This was when the first Human Centipede came out. There was seems there seemed to be this game going on with horror filmmakers's to who could make the most disturbing movie. And for a while there was Takashimi Iki's stuff like Ichi the Killer or then they're they're doing. Then you had Martyrs coming out, which was a French movie that's pretty intense. And then and then Human Centipede's like, oh wait minute, and then and then the Serbian films like Hold My Beer and kind of topped everything off, and it kind of ended. I can't even tell you on the radio what a Serbian film is about. But it was so extreme in order to be real, at least in America, they had to make cuts to get an NC seventeen rating. That's like the worst rating you could get. There's nothing higher than that. But they wouldn't even grant it an NC seventeen rating until they made some cuts.
Speaker 1: Now to bring up the rating thing. By the way, Kevin Carr silver Gecko on Substeck was sterling on the big one. So the rating system, it's a very odd, arbitrary sort of circumstance. Other countries have their own ratings thing. I don't know how much of that plays into anything that's streaming these days, because nothing has to be approved for streaming, right, But it is about going to the theater and having it projected on a screen in public.
Speaker 5: Correct, Well, it's it's because it's part of the emotion bigger Association of America the MPAA or the MPa I think is what it's called now. That's sort of like they in this in the seventies sometime they basically there was always throughout the since the beginning a film, there were people trying to ban certain films and trying to restrict what can be played, and so the Motion Picture Association basically made its own self governing thing where they have these people watching it and then they'd self rate them. There's no no legal or governmental in control in this. It's just the people in who make the movies did it. But you're right, that was so they could be released in theaters and then they were sort of like granted, oh it's a g rated thing, so most movie theaters will play it and then play PG movies. Once you started getting above R, which was originally X and then became NC seventeen in the eighties or early nineties, that was those are the ones that like certain theaters wouldn't show because of like community standards. So it was it was self in put on. And there are a lot of movies that were released underneath it that just were unrated, you know, movies like Cannibal Holocaust, or you know, like last house on the left of those got got got a rating because they just knew him. They just played at independent movie houses and that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: And that was sort of the drawl in effect. I mean, it was not drastically different than say the nineties, I guess the late eighties when it became the parental advisory sticker on CDs. If people can remember compact disc or records or even tapes, I guess we're sort of going away at that point.
Speaker 5: See, that was that was like think in the in the nineties because it was it was Tipper Gore of all people that was, oh yeah, that was spearheading that as the second lady. So it would have been like ninety two, ninety three, ninety four I think was when that was going on. And of course there's a great thing with Frank Zappa, that being he testified to Congress about it. And of course Frank Zapper was he was smarter. He was always the smartest guy in the room, and he knew how to approach it and and and make it look ridiculous.
Speaker 1: D Snyder from Twisted Sister the same thing, and people were sort of shocked to come in there looking like wackos. Oh, these are hard rock guys. You don't know anything, and they did. They they literally just shut the room up because they made too much sense, which was kind of nice and gratifying.
Speaker 5: So you're right streaming as no, there's no thing, and like HBO, Well HBO was playing that game before, you know, before really streaming came on, because they were doing it with Game of Thrones. There's stuffing Game of Thrones that you'd never get released in the movie theater.
Speaker 1: No, I'm still traumatized. Well, you know, a little bit wholesome and innocent, don't you know? It was all for researchers. All it's all h Is there anything else coming out that we should be looking forward to besides what's already out there? Now the twenty eight years later? Now Bone? Uh what is it called Bone?
Speaker 5: Bone Temple?
Speaker 1: Can't want to say Bone City or Bone Town, which is something else. I don't know what that is, but it just sounds bad. Bone Temple.
Speaker 5: Just just go randomly start asking people, Hey, do you want to go to Bone?
Speaker 1: No, I don't want to do. No, nothing good's gonna.
Speaker 7: Come for that.
Speaker 5: I dare you, I know, I know only if you're.
Speaker 1: With me with a phone to film it, and then there's a high. There's nothing good. All that gets me is probably like a conversation with law enforcement and a weird posting someplace, and then I'll not be doing this anymore on the weekend, but begging for change someplace or I don't know what I'd be doing.
Speaker 5: Look, it's a great way to get a room for the night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something anyway for the night. Maybe I don't know about a room, a code, a cot in anything coming.
Speaker 5: What is this?
Speaker 1: By the way, somebody, my neighbor's kids, they tell me everything. They're bringing Matta Gascar back. They're not redoing it, they're just re releasing it. Is that? Is that accurate?
Speaker 5: Probably they've been doing that a lot. That's really been a thing that they started doing. Well, they kind of always have done it, but really during COVID, when you weren't getting big movies, a lot of times, especially drive ins would bring back old movies. And nowadays you'll see that a lot where they'll they'll show a movie they just want to get butts in the seat because the theater doesn't care what you pay to get in. That just goes the people own the film.
Speaker 1: They want to see, so you buy the.
Speaker 5: Food, yeah, popcorn and drinks and all that kind of stuff. That's why it's like like up in Columbus where I'm from, they have the movie theaters that will show ow shoe games.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure there's places down in Cincinnati that show like the Bearcat Game and the Bengals or whatever. And it's just that you don't have to pay. You just go in, but you got to buy beer, and that's just fun.
Speaker 1: I'm fine with that. I love the theater experience for just about everything. I just wondered about the Madagascar thing because that's been what fifteen twenty years, and that's a window and that's isn't that about the time they start remaking movies anyway?
Speaker 5: Well yeah, but I don't know how you remake Madagascar and have it make look marginally different. I mean, Disney's going through and making live action versions, and sometimes the live action versions aren't quote because they did a quote live action version of The Lion King, but right, there's no photophotography in that. It was just all computer generated. But they they're doing that. They got a new Majana movie coming out that's the live action mawana.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 5: But but again, if you're doing Madagascar, I just know they're going to bring it back, probably because it's it's the anniversary of it. Yeah, and for kids who are like six, if you're like five or six when that movie came out and you loved it, me in your twenties now, and that's what people do. I was telling my son, I said, I'm running into people, you know, women in their thirties with with like Pokemon tattoos, nice and and you're like, yeah, that's that's the next thing that's and then you're gonna in a couple of years there's gonna be like eighty year old grannies. And they got like, oh and there's there's balbasar, you know on the tattooed on my arm. You know that kind of thing. So it's always about what you watch when you're a kid.
Speaker 1: It's true. And these kids that from next door, I mean I don't think they're middle school age maybe at best, yet lower than that, So I mean they've clearly watched or streamed it and they were just all excited telling me about it. When I was out with the dog the other day, I was like, well, I know who to talk to about that.
Speaker 5: A lot of times, Yeah, because they get they catch it on screen streaming. Because I believe that was a DreamWorks movie. I don't know who the Ronzi writes to it, but it's out there somewhere. Everyone wants the kid content on there. But then you could go to the theater and if you're a little kid and you've seen Madagascar sixteen times and you drag your parents, and your parents is gonna whoever, You're gonna hate yourself for it, but you'll take them to go see Madagascar in our room full of screaming kids. Those kids are not like, excuse me, I need to listen to this because I've never seen it. They've all seen it, yeah, like many times, and they're all gonna be chearing for it.
Speaker 1: It'd be like us with pulp fiction or something. Yeah, or maybe you imagine.
Speaker 5: Going, yeah, going to a pulp fiction you know, revival movie. That movie is what's thirty two years old, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah, let's just stop talking about these things now, because that's disturbing. I was only like eight years old when that came out.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, you were a little older than that. At rue, you were not born in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I was. I think I was here and then went to New Orleans in that window of time that it was out, and then came back. So yeah, I was grown.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I was talking on the radio already, which is sick. And yeah, I don't know what I've said, but hell, I don't even know what I'm saying now except this silver gecko on substack. Find Kevin Carr. He's there. Great stuff to your mailbox. Always good to talk to you, man. Enjoy the rest of your week in my best of the family car.
Speaker 5: All right, thank you, We'll talk to you later.
Speaker 1: We'll see you later. Maybe you go check out that twenty eight years later in the We'll see exactly how disturbing it all plays out to be in the Bone Temple, Quick break, Come Back, More to Do Mike d Wallspace dot Com about astronauts coming back from the International Space Station a little earlier than planned. Plus Donna Schleheck later Professor Meredith from Wright State, former head of political Science, talking about the Insurrection Act, what the tenth Amendment may mean to the ongoing trials, tribulations, and combative nature of stuff going on with ice, and to border patrol and to people on the ground in Minneapolis, Saint Paul, and well all over the country. Hang out more Sterling coming up here seven hundred WULW. Well, the weekend's here. Sterling back seven hundred WLW. About a week ago, there was talk about illness on the International Space Station, so we figured we'd reach out, and they've done. I don't think it's something they've never done except maybe in the movies, which is go up and retrieve some people on the space station and bringing them back. Mike d wallspaceflight and tech editor from space dot com. He's also the author of out There, which is a scientific guide to alien life, antimatter, human space travel for the cosmically curious. I'm one of those, and it's good reading. Welcome back to the Big One. How are you, Mike?
Speaker 7: Doing good? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing okay. So this is a rare occurrence, right, was it Crew eleven? I guess at the International Space Station? They went and retrieved them and they just splashed back. I think it was yesterday or the other day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's it's yeah. It was like a six month long SpaceX mission to the International Space Station. You know, NASA contracted SpaceX to uh provide transportation for astronauts to and from the International Space Station. And this this is a mission that launched this past August. It was supposed to be up for six months. You know, it's supposed to come home like next month sometime. But like one of the crew members we still don't know which one because of medical privacy concerns, like suffered some sort of ailments on orbit last just last week, and they quickly decided they wanted to bring the whole crew home to get it looked at on Earth. You know, where a doctor, we have more doctors, we got, we got better equipment to diagnose it and to treat it. And so yeah, that just happened just a couple of days ago. They came back everything that's fine apparently, and yeah, so and yeah, yeah like it. Yeah, it was unprecedented. Nothing like this has been done on the International Space Station ever, and it's like twenty five years of astronaut occupy. So yeah, it was. It was it was something that we hadn't seen before.
Speaker 1: Talking to Mike Wall from space dot Com, Stirling seven hundred WLW so I think back to when I was a little kid. It was towards the end days of what was space Lab, and then came the Space Shuttle and all of that and ferring people back and forth and so forth, and the docking now with SpaceX and all these other private entities that are sort of working with NASA. It's kind of interesting, Mike. But the idea, of course is I guess it's next month. The swing around the Moon is expected with Artemis two. Is that right?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the plan. It's not officially targeted for next month. Artemis two is the mission we're talking about, which we'll send four astronauts like around the Moon. They aren't going to orbit the Moon. They're not going to land. They just do like a slingshot kind of trajectory around the Moon and come back to Earth after about ten days. But still it'll be the first Moon mission with astronauts on board since Apollo seventeen back in nineteen do so. So NASA's targeting sort of early February for that launch, but that's like really tentative.
Speaker 5: Right now.
Speaker 7: They're about to roll the Giant rocket out to the launch pad. They're going to do that on Saturday, actually, so take it from like the kind of high bay where they stack the rocket and everything, roll it out to the pad and do a bunch of tests, I including like these fueling tests and all that stuff, and if all that goes well, they could theoretically launch as early as February sixth, but I don't I wouldn't expect that. I think it'll probably take a little longer, and maybe it'll March. It'll launch in maybe March or maybe April. But yeah, we'll just on us have to wait and see.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: One of the things that you know, we talked about it before, you know, the need for clean up like rumky waste up there to get space junk. We've talked about the you know, the long term sort of idea of going to Mars and in space travel and whether there's a moon base or something else out there. The question of health issues and how that's navigated by NASA or whoever else internationally is involved in this. It gets deep pretty fast because you can't only go and get people who have a major health issue, so then you have to start thinking about all those really sort of I don't want to say cryptic, but sometimes dark movies about what happens in space when someone gets sick or has some type of problem. Do we know what their plans are and how to work that moving ahead? And I'm guessing this was an opportunity to learn a little bit about how they might navigate and gate that in the future too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, and that, like it is a good question people in I mean people like have asked NASA officials that very question. You know, in the wake of this problem that a nastronaut experience on the ISS, you know, what does that make you think about Moon missions or even going farther in the future, you know, I mean NASA wants to send astronauts to Mars too, and then not too distant future, So and that's even more risky, right if you have some sort of health issue on the way to Mars, it's like six months there and six months back, you're not going to be able to do like an evacuation really and come backtor So it is something I don't think NASA has the answers to that. They're certainly thinking about it, Like, I mean, maybe what will end up happening as you launch, Like I don't know, people with more medical training, maybe you have a crew doctor on board all of these long term space missions. If we're talking about future Moon missions, future Mars missions, maybe every crew should have like one medical doctor on board at the minimum. Like, I don't know, that's something that we'll have to see going forward, don't. I don't think NASA or its partners have the answers to that yet, but they're certainly thinking about.
Speaker 1: It in the timeline. Talking to Mike Wall by the way Spaceflight to and tech it or from space dot com, Stirling on the big one, where are we in the scheme of things in a timeline do you think of our space exploration? I mean, you know, we still kindergarten, first grade, We're not yet to high school. I mean I don't know how to gauge it or compare. I certainly you know the new Star Trek that's coming out, and a lot of other stuff you can't necessarily compare. But so much of what those types of sci fi shows have brought science an interest in people that are actually making the decisions and designing things that the future will bring all So I'm just kind of curious where you think we fit on that continuum.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think we're still pretty early days now. Maybe elementary school. If you're talking about if the if the goal is to have I don't know, people living and working off Earth in a in a real meaningful way, then yeah, we're just getting started.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: We like we went to the Moon with Apollo in the late sixties, early seventies, but that that was just flags and footprints, right. We didn't stay there. We didn't I mean, we didn't build a base that yet. Again, I'm not trying to actually minimize that accomplishment was a huge achievement, but it was designed to just land there and come home safely. It wasn't designed to build a base or anything like that. That's what NASA and a lot of other exploration kids are trying to do now. That's what a lot of the world spacel community is working toward, and we're just the early stages of that trying to figure out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and so that's what that's why these Artemist missions coming up. I mean, this next one Artemist too, is a big deal because it's going to show that astronauts can safely ride on the Giant Moon rocket. NASA has space launches to rocket and the Orion spacecraft, which is what they'll ride to the Moon and back. It will kind of it'll kind of certify those vehicles for ashnout flights and then lay the foundation for Artemis three in twenty twenty seven or twenty twenty eight, which will actually land astronauts on the Moon, and if that goes well, then NASA will work toward actually building a base near the lunar South Pole where there's thought to be a lot of water ice that astronauts could access and use to drink and to make rocket fuel and all that stuff. So we're but we're still we still haven't launched a person to the Moon since the seventies, right, so we're still we're still early days, and we're still testing out the equipment that is supposed.
Speaker 6: To do that.
Speaker 7: So yeah, we we've got the know how, but we just have to prove that we can do it on a bigger scale in a more ambitious way, which is what we're trying to do moving forward.
Speaker 1: I love that term flags and footprints, because that's what it was. I wasn't really laughing about like where we were on the continue, I was just thinking about it was like that's true. I think he had a golf ball and then they bailed out. It's just sort of the way it went. Do we know, Mike, about what the Chinese did up there? Did they actually have people on the Moon or was that just a sort of a like a rover they're checking stuff out on the supposed or so called dark side.
Speaker 7: They have launched a few robotic missions to the Moon. Now China has and like include they are the first country ever to put a rover down on the far side of the Moon. But they also have ambitions to put people on the Moon and to build a lunar base. They've got this project with the Russians that wants to do that in the mid twenty thirties, and they actually want to put people down there by twenty thirty. That their first astronauts on the Moon in four or five years, which is pretty ambitious. But they've been making kind of step wise progress toward it. So they're a legitimate threat to kind of do it first, which is why you hear a bunch of kind of moon race rhetoric coming from our politicians and our kind of government officials and stuff. I mean, there is this imperative in those circles to do it before China does, to show that we're still a top dog in space and all that stuff. This is like kind of like a simple thing that NASA and the US government are trying to do. But yeah, I mean China is doing it more in the apollo kind of manner where they're not their first missions are going to be sort of Apollo like, they aren't doing it in the sustainable way of our first missions are going to start establishing a moon base, but they are trying to build a base at some point in the future too.
Speaker 1: Mike Wallas from space dot com Spaceflight Editor Tech editor was Stirling on seven hundred WLW. So that's interesting because you mentioned the jockeing and posturing that's taking place politically, but also the idea of strategizing for colony, colonizing for one of a better way to describe it. And we're talking about Greenland now, the threat of Russia and China and how that deal may or may not go, whatever is with that. I don't want to get political about it, but it's really the same concept in space or even at sea, especially as sort of all the big ice is melting or they're in climate change and so forth, whether it's jettising off this planet or anywhere else. It's really the same game no matter what.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that sort of high season analogy is a good one. That's why they say it's important for the US to beat China back to the moon is because whoever gets there first this time around and starts doing things like scouting for resources and extracting resources and building bases and stuff like that, they will get to kind of set the procedures and the norms and the moon, which are not very well laid out at this point at all. So it will be kind of like a high seas or a wild West sort of situation, is what people are worried about. So whoever gets there first has the chance to kind of set what will be the norms of responsible behavior. That's what That's what kind of military officials say, what government officials say here, and we want to be that organization or that entity that does that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes sense. What if I not ask in relation to any of this or anything else that's worthy of conversation when it comes to space stuff, because it seems like every week there's a bunch of headlines, but this has been, you know, a fast and heavy one, because we're talking about people coming home who what are planning on staying and it was obviously a health concern, which is pretty wild.
Speaker 7: Yeah, those are the two big ones, you know that the Crew eleven, that the medical evacuation base and the Artemis two ramp up and them happening back to back. I think those are the Yeah, those are the big things, you know what In like, while NASA is getting is trying to do the Artemis two ramp up, they're also they're preparing it with with SpaceX to launch Crew twelve, which are the replacements for the Crew eleven astronauts who had to come home a month early. So, like that's schedule to launch on February fifteenth, which means for the next like month or so, there will only be three people on the International Space Missing puting only one NASA astronauts. That's kind of interesting too because the baseline crew level up there is seven, so they're going to be a real skeleton crew for the next like month or so, which is kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: What do they do up there with that base crew you say, of six or seven compared to this three? I mean, I know, the size of it is not I mean, what's it comparable to here size wise as far as modules for residential I guess a living or functioning because they're up there working, they're not just kicking back watching Netflix.
Speaker 7: I'm guessing yeah, it's got about as much living area as like a five bedroom house, I believe, is what NASA says. And most of what the astronauts are doing up there, in addition to the routine maintenance stuff, is like scientific experiments, you know, doing a lot of studies of how plants, like how seeds germinate in microgravity, like how radiation affects like some bacteria and other single celled organisms or mice and rats and stuff like that. There's always a bunch of stuff like that going on, or working to figure out how you can manufacture certain things in microgravity. There are all these all these experiments that go up there with each crew or each each cargo ship because there so what's going to happen with the three person crew is some of that experimental work. They're going to be able to devote as much time to the experiments, obviously, because the the crew of three has to perform like the baseline maintenance stuff and just to make sure everything's working fine. That's not something you can skip on right. So with fewer people up there, that just means there won't be as much time for the astronauts to do some of the science work. And it also means that they won't be able to do any spacewalks really on the American side, because there's only one NASA astronaut, and you don't do a spacewalk with one person. There are always two person affairs for safety reasons. So that's just another thing that they'll have to wait to do. They actually had planned to do two spacewalks this month, but those were canceled after the medical thing kind of popped up with the crew eleven astronaut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that took priority for sure. Now the other thing I want to just before we let you hop and I appreciate you and make it a time for us here on the Friday Night Stirling with Mike Wall from space dot Com. I know you've got some hoops action with little one the young Wall shortly, so we appreciate it. The Starlink satellite thing, which I think I actually saw in the sky for the first time, maybe at a week ago, give or take, which was pretty wild. I'd seen it on video, but never in person. It was a pretty interesting thing just for about the ten minutes or less that I actually got to see it, sort of moved through it, but it caame top of mind again obviously with Iran and the government shutting down internet and so forth, which is pretty standard in a lot of places when war happens, either the enemy does it or even I guess you know, a tyrant type of government scenario, whatever you want to describe that as. But they opened up Starlink for people to be able to have access to get information and share it. How regularly and how available are those star links to people just in general? I mean you got to buy some you know, like hardware gear for that. It's not like you can just dial into it from your laptop of your phone, I'm guessing. But what a great thing to be able to do for people that would have been isolated otherwise.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you like, you have to buy a subscription, you have to buy buy like a terminal from SpaceX to be able to receive all the signals the Starlink satellite send down. And they're almost ten thousand of them up there now, and they they it's much less. It's it's it's much harder to deprive your citizens of Internet if it's coming from space obviously, then if it's like being broadcast from towers here on Earth, so or fibers or whatever. You can cut fibers, you can, you can go disable the tower. But it is much harder for for like a sovereign nation or an organization of some sort to stop signals coming down from space. It's not it's it's not impossible. You you actually can jam signals coming back from space in the microwave spectrum, which like I think Iran has been trying to do that with starlink and maybe and may have even succeeded to some degree, Like not sure what the most strustworthy accounts about that are, but but I know Iran has been trying to do that to keep the citizens in the dark, even from starlink. So it's not like one hundred percent foolproof, but it's much much harder to keep to cut those systems down than the ground based systems.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: It's pretty wild because in the news, of course we've heard about those cables in the ocean that have been gouged and more than once actually, and then now this, and then you start thinking about those flights that we don't necessarily know that are dark from our military, and who knows what our enemies are doing up there too. It all goes back to that again. You think you're safe down here and here you're not up there. There's something else going on. It gets deep and it does fast. Mike, Well, thank you for doing what you do, and space dot Com is always a great resource. Appreciate you being here for us. I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Ma, it's always good to talk to you too.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Man the author of out There, Scientific Guide to Alien Life, Antimatter, and Human Space Travel for the cosmically curious. That's it, out There, Spaceflight Tech editor Mike Wall I can read sometimes, it's just I don't have my glasses. Enjoy yourself. Thanks for making time. Enjoy the weekend. More Sterling coming back seven hundred WLW. Well, there's no werewolf out there that I know of, but there is some snow in the tri State, mostly to the southeast of the city, with some accumulations expected overnight. It's still above freezing, so it's that weird thing where you can see it come down and hopefully won't stick, although my dog will be excited to play in some more snow sooner than later. How you doing Friday sterling? A couple of minutes away your ten thirty report. I believe Matt Reese is tagging out. We'll see who tags in. Not quite yet sure. I got to win to Windo a hallway, so I don't know yet. We'll find out together after eleven o'clock. Doctor Donna schleg former had political science, now professor Meredith from Wright State gonna join us talk a little bit about Minnesota. Apparently there's been a judge that's come out in order that ICE is gonna have to curb some of their actions in and around the Twin Cities. Not sure what the details on that are. We'll talk to her. Also about the Tenth Amendment. Is Minneapolis, or at least the state of Minnesota, I should say, as well as Illinois, are talking about Tenth Amendment issues, which is limiting powers of the federal government in the state. How that comes in play. And of course President Trump has talked about the Insurrection Act and how that may move ahead if necessary, to sort of put more boots on the ground literally and figuratively of our military. In and around the Twin Cities, which I don't know that anybody really wants that, so we'll talk to her about that later on. Also, David Purdin from ESPN shalt conversation we had about the NCAA hoops scandal that later on, and on the other side something else. I'm wondering if you can think back to your youth unless you're a kid now, and I'm wondering what the first really big news story that you can remember from being a kid that's stuck with you. I can think of one now that had to do with the US hostages in Iran when I was a tiny sterling, and I think that's like the first news thing that I can really vividly recall.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 1: Maybe the bi centennial, which of course we're looking at two fifty for the US come July as well being celebrated, so we'll get into that. On the other side, your chance to get interactive. It's a Friday Sterling Nation Station Reds Fest this weekend convention Center and a whole lot of fun. A lot of people heading home right about now from that here seven HUNDREDU wulw. Hey, how you doing Sterling? Hanging out? Fine? Friday night, The weekend is here Nation Station. What you're listening to? Seven hundred WLW. Joe Waddell producing, keeping me in line on time. Travis Laird getting interactive too as he was closing up that newscast, because right there I sort of teased a head to what I want to do here. We got a little bit of time to play a little bit before Doctor dot Schlek joins just former head of political science at Right State. She's a cincinnatikuid talking about the latest in Minneapolis Saint Paul, as well as the talk of the insurrection at tent Amendment issues being discussed, as well as continued issues with the whole immigration thing in politics. And it's a lot going on in the world right now, which then leads me to something else asides from the NCAA basketball hoops point shaving scandal too. David Purdham from ESPN Chalk, who's been all over TV. I was up late last night and flipping around in the news and streaming ABC News. It was like two or three in the morning. All of a sudden, I hear a familiar voice from down the halls. I'm running around the house and I'm like I know that guy, What the hell's going on? That's Dave Purdham and he was on ABC talking about what we're going to discuss a little bit later on, which is the issue with the point shaving and betting and the business of betting, because that's what he covers for ESPN chalk. So that's coming up at eleven thirty five. It's big news. A lot of people headed home right now from Reds Fast downtown and the just open kicking the door wide open to a new era with the convention Center downtown. A lot of Reds fans, you know, sort of thinking about well, the future and maybe some news stories of note, which for some I was talking talking to a buddy of mine earlier today about this. I was saying, like, first news events that might stick in your head, I might resonate. We talked sports, he mentioned Big Red Machine. He's a little bit older than me. It was right in the middle of his early part of his teenage years, and it was totally like, that's the first news thing that he can remember, and it was sports related and REGs related. And then I can remember and there's two things that stick out news related. One the bi centennial in the Freedom Train that I got to hop a boy with my Grandma Betty to sort of look at the history of this nation when I was a tiny kid. And then the other thing that sticks out glaringly was the Iran hostages thing that was in the news on a regular basis. I'd come home from school, I'd watched the news, and the Nightline happened as a result of that, which is still on the air today. So I'm wondering, what is the first news story could be sports, but big news event that you can remember in general, whether asuming probably for most of us from our childhood or otherwise. Five one three seven four nine, seven thousand, eight hundred The Big One. You got the iHeartRadio app, which you can stream twenty four to seven just about anywhere. Pick a device, pick a location. We're all Eddie and Rocky and Sloaney and Tom Brenneman uh you name it, Lance me uh and Donna whatever together at any given time. You can stream us or get interactive by clicking on that microphone and leave a message. Five three seven, four nine seven eight hundred. The Big One to Xenia Paul his first first big news event that sticks out that you can remember as a kid or otherwise, Paul, you're with Sterling on the Big One. Thanks for holding what's up.
Speaker 9: The first big news event that I really remember, and I brought everyone to their knees crying, was President Roosevelt FDR dying. So nineteen forty five.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: So if you don't mind, how old of a man are you that you can actually remember hearing the news of that, because it was a different world at that point.
Speaker 9: I'm eighty seven and I was born in thirty eight, so I was seven years old and my dad listened religiously to the Big One WLW and whio out of Dayton Coaghetti's.
Speaker 1: Nude, that's right, And so you heard that as it went down. See, I can't imagine the closest thing. And it was a presidential memory to me, now that you think you mentioned that, I can remember. I took a bus to the doctor's office as a kid, and I had to go in and get like an allergy shot. And then I got out of the office and I was waiting for the bus, and it was an odd thing that the bus driver was out having a cigarette and there were some other people waiting to hop on the bus, and they had the radio one which was on the Big One, which of course is now where we're having our conversation, Paul. And it was when Reagan had been shot and he was sheet white. I was sort of traumatized. I'm a little kid in the thought of having the president the you know, gravely entered, perhaps dying or otherwise. It was crazy. I can't imagine you at seven the same type of feeling with Roosevelt.
Speaker 9: Well, I remember vividly hanging on to my dad because he was a news hound. He was interested in anything that the world news. He tried to go join up in the military to fight the Japanese the day after Pearl Harbor, and he was rejected because he had flat feet and hemorrhoids. But he was a true patriots sterling.
Speaker 1: I do believe that flat feet I have. I don't think I have the roids, but I didn't realize the roids to keep you out of of the military. But at least he was here in state safe and was there to provide and take care of the family. Paul, thank you for listening to being a part of the show.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 9: I listened faithfully to wlwi's my all time favorite radio station. I go way back with the Reds to nineteen thirty nine, Ernie Lombardi and Frank McCormick, Bucky Walters, Paul Dringer and uh So Wider. And I'm a true Cincinnati Reds baseball fan and here lately Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I appreciate that. Paul, Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: It was good to talk to you. That's tremendous, quite a bit of history. Wondering what the first news story that you can remember is from your childhood or otherwise. That resonated. And I mean, and he talked about Rusevelt it and hearing it the president that passed away. I mean that that'll shake you, that'll mess with you.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things that Joe Waddell's producing the show. Authier just mentioned to me a minute ago. I don't know if you wants to do this on the air or not, but I'll mention it. If you want to crack the MICU feel free to do whatever you want to do. But he mentioned that he thinks that it was when the was it the shuttle? No, what was it? You just said just a minute nine to eleven, right, Yeah, So I think he mentioned his first real memory of news was when nine eleven happened in two thousand and one, which immediately makes me feel like I'm a little long in the tooth, because I was working on the radio in Collogembus at the time. I had left here and taken the night show at our sister station WTVN in Columbus, where I worked with my good buddy Corpy and a bunch of other people. And I can vividly remember that happening and the thing that shook me after, aside from just the nature of what went down in how all of our lives have changed, and in this case Joe Waddell, all he knows is the issue of invasions of privacy and giving up our freedoms and the Patriot Act and everything else that subsequently followed for all of our supposed safety getting into our prefer real business. And I can remember, aside from the event itself happening, what really grabbed me and resonated in and did even meet a day you could hear a lot of freight trains right where I lived in Columbus, and you could hear Port Columbus. Now I think it's John Glenn Airport, but at the time. It was Port Columbus. Just like around cveg. You would notice this too, or lunken. They shut down trains and playing across this nation. And it was one of the most eerie, oddly uncomfortable, uncertain times that I can remember ever in my life, because we did not know what was happening with New York or Pennsylvania or the Pentagon or the future of the world as we knew it. And I'd never heard the silence without trains or planes in the sky, and for a few days there was none other than military aircraft. It was unreal, is what it was. Five point three seven four nine seven, eight hundred, the big one. Let's get to some calls here, first memory of something newsworthy that grabbed you and hell you held you as a kid to Newport. Rob and Sue and Terry and Tommy and Rick will get as many on as we can here before the news coming up at eleven. What's up, Rob, appreciate you holding sure?
Speaker 6: Hey, Thanks thanks for taking my call. Hey real quick, I know you've got a lot of callers.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: May eighth, nineteen seventy seven. I was eight years old and I can still VIVI the pictures will never leave my mind. Was the Beverly Hills diner fire.
Speaker 1: All the supper club.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, supper club fire. We got, we got. We were on our way home from eating out, and they had stopped traffic and we were right there at the bottom of the hill in twenty seven just watching watching it go up in flames. And there's some things that would you know, would rather not talk about that I saw on the air that that really stuck with me and will never ever forget that.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not. I totally understand it. I'm guessing you were a fairly young man at the time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, eight years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, I mean you're like a third grader at that point. I can remember, we're not drastically different in age. And my grandmother and it sounds weird to say this, but her boyfriend, because she had one at the time, and yeah, they would regularly go to the Beverly Hills and so my mom, I remember, was freaking out. I had no idea what was going on. But then they were trying to track down my grandmother to see if they had actually gone, because you know, they were there randomly. Thank god they were not. And a lot of other people, of course never made it out, which was just horrific.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, it was pretty say day here locally, but it got it got national attention though I do remember that. But yeah, mom and dad lost quite a few friends that night.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a terrible thing, and I mean it sticks with all of rob. I appreciate the comment, thank you for sharing that, and yeah, I mean it made national news and because I mean there were people came to work there, I mean performers, entertainers at Beverly Hills supper Club from all over the big, big name artist on a regular basis, and a lot of people didn't come home from that. Just devastating Covington. Sue was sterling on the big one too, from ky back to back, What do you Go? What do you know?
Speaker 10: Sue?
Speaker 1: Was the first news that resonates with you as a memory from your kid in childhood.
Speaker 11: Well, I'm my mother and I had gone to and when Chester, Kentucky, when I was eight years so I was born the same year your first caller was Okay, And I remember sitting in the movie theater and all of a sudden hearing all sorts of car horns blowing outside, and my mother said.
Speaker 10: The war is over.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, and my father was there overseas.
Speaker 1: That had to just be such a fantastic thing because you knew obviously at that point you would think Dad's okay, Dad's coming home soon, and yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I really had didn't think about that until I was sitting here listening to some of the others. But that really is the first major thing I remember hearing. Plus the Beverly Hills. I had been in the zebra room at a retirement party two weeks before the fire.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, and that sticks with you. I can remember my grandmother telling me about it. I was very interested. After I didn't really understand. I was like going to Beverly Hills, like the Beverly Hill, but at least where are you people going? And then of course after that I found out like the rest of us. So thank you for sharing and always appreciate you listening to being a part of the show. To Walden, holy crap, it's three and ky back to back to back, Terry at your turf with Sterling on the big one. First memory of a news event from your youth?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I was eight years old in second grade and I can remember them coming over the loud speaker at school on November twenty second of sixty three and telling us all that John F. Kennedy, President Kennedy had been shot. Oh wow, and you know we were just eight.
Speaker 10: Years old, like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: And then as you know, it was on TV for days and days of course. But yeah, that's the first one I remember. But in addition to the Beverly Hills, when I was twenty one, I was at the Red Dog Saloon in Sharonville and we were listening to a comedian named Ron Stewart, and they came. They came out and said at intermission and said he won't be back. His wife st the Beverly Hills and uh, you know, it's it's on fire.
Speaker 10: She she was okay.
Speaker 3: But the odd thing was I was a manager of Eagle Savings and I had tellers that were there at a banquet and in another part. But you know, I'm saying I had two people down there that I was scared to death that they were that they you know, we're going to be harmed, but they made it. They made it safe too. I'm glad that those are the two big ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and those are monumental. I mean it really is, Harry. I appreciate the call. Thank you for listening to being a part of the show. I appreciate it. I mean that'll shake you. And I remember just here overhearing my grandmother talk about that with the Beverly Hills, and she and they were there regularly for one type of even or a show or another. And even after all this time, I mean a lot of connections, a lot of people still really to that. De Heartwell and Tommy was Sterling on the Big One. Appreciate you holding. What's the first news event that sticks out to you in your memory?
Speaker 10: Sure, Sterling Well, prior caller has had the same news event, however, November twenty second, nineteen sixty three. But I was in first grade and I came home from Madisonville School. I didn't hear it on a laudspeaker. My mother told me about it and the TV was on, and I remember the few ensuing days. I can remember little John saluting, you know, saluting as far as casket in the parade and all that kind of thing. Yeah, yeah, that was an amazing.
Speaker 1: Time, very unusual and unsettling times, and a lot of unknown people think in the world's upside down and some of the people and right now feel in the same way and how we are too. Hopefully nothing quite as severe as that type of event making news anytime soon, Tommy. I appreciate the call me and thanks for listening. I hope you call back. All right, good enough, take care of yourself. To Dallas and rick it's been a minute. Ricky was sterling on the Big One. What do you have?
Speaker 8: How you I was six years old, yeah, Nightete sixty? Yes, right, I can remember when Kennedy won that election.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 8: And I can also remember I actually saw, uh I was all get shot on TV live. I saw it live a black white or television.
Speaker 1: What was that like? Because I've seen video of that and anyone who's watched, you know, documentaries about it or even watching The mad Men Show, where they, you know, did such a great job generationally showing where we were as a world at a certain window of time as a period piece, and the way it affected people when that went down, describing it watching it the way you did. But as a young man, what did that do to you? I mean, that's an insane thing to see.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I looked at it, you know, first I didn't realize what I just saw. And I say this because uh uh, you know Jack Ruby. So he jumped out of it. He came out of the corner and he pulled the gun. He put he stepped the gun in his reel bay, squeeze the trigger, and it looked unreal. You said, Well, did I was that real? You know, that's the first thing I thought. I said, Oh, that guy really shot that guy.
Speaker 1: You know, I can't imagine. And as jaded as we all are now and we're used to seeing things happen almost instantaneously, it is somewhat bewildering to me, you know, to imagine what it must have been like at that point as a young person to see something like that. I mean, the whole world turned upside down.
Speaker 10: Rick.
Speaker 1: It's always good to talk to you. Me and I hate to be brief, but I got a bounce. We'll give these a final two here a minute or so each and then uh, we'll stop for news. You're eleven o'clock reporting. Doctor Donald Schlet going to join us with some insights in the Minneapolis situation and so much else going on too Loveland. Joe and then e J was sterling on the big one. Joe, what do you have what's your first memory of newsworthy stuff from your youth?
Speaker 5: Jab gay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you all right?
Speaker 12: And I was in great spurn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just got you at the wrong time. I got you a lot of people deal over, big deal, no big deal.
Speaker 10: No I'm not sick.
Speaker 12: Okay, just a little four twenty A little four twenty.
Speaker 1: Oh, I saw, I got you a little attitude adjustment here after ten o'clock.
Speaker 12: Oh, you know, I was.
Speaker 1: I was on hold for a while, but I understand.
Speaker 12: I too, was in great school when JFK got shot. And I remember Beverly Hill supper Club. My grandma lived over on Warren Court and we could see it from her house on the hill.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 12: He was right about twenty seven, so that's wild. I mean, that's childhood. But I was born in fifty eight.
Speaker 1: So gotcha. It's interesting to hear that sort of separation decade by decade and what sort of resonates and sticks with people. Joe, I appreciate the call men. Thank you. Hope the rest of your night and your weekend goes well. To appreciate you. Listening uh to west Elton, I think or west Ellis with E J with Sterling on the big one, final one here before the break, h new story that sticks out from your youth. We're like, oh, okay, I can remember that because it's usually something monumental that grabs us. Hey, Sarny, Hey, what do you happen?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: This is this is EJ.
Speaker 13: I want to say EJ from meeting, but it's basically Westellitton somewhere else now but Watergate Watergate to me, And the reason is the Nixon thing. Watergate in the seventies. Remember that. Oh yeah, yeah water Nixon. Okay, And anyway, we had a creek down a street on Wolf Road in the West Alex Treble County that we used to swim in all the time. I'm like ten years old or something like that. And down the creek about I don't know, uh, I don't know, half a mile or something like that quarter mile, there used to be a gate that some guy had cows or some farmer had cows, and he had a gate he put across the creek so the cows could walk across the creek. I'm trying to make get this fast anyway, and it flood they would open up the water gate. So what warses gateaway? And I used to come home from school or whatever and see this nix is my mom and dad be watching Nixon on TV. The order Gate scam, so.
Speaker 1: You thought it was about that and the Gattle getting across the I totally believe you. That's the best DJ. I hate to be brief. That's tremendous. I totally get it, and I haven't matured much more than that in my experience either. Straight away, you're eleven o'clock report, doctor Donas Schleg joins me on the other side. Appreciate you being here. Friday night Home of the Red Sterling seven hundredu WLW, Cincinnati Final hour together this fine Friday night, the full on weekend is upon us Sterling hanging out. Appreciate you being here too, seven hundred WLW. What you're listening to? Later on conversation with David bring the pain Purdam about all the NCAA basketball points, shaving scandal stuff, and more conversation with him after the eleven third report on the line. Right now, former head of political science. She's a Cincinnati kid Wright State University professor, Amerida. Now with me, it's doctor Donna Schleck. Welcome back to the Big One. Seven hundred WLW. How's everything with you, Hi, Sterlin.
Speaker 14: It's been quite a crazy week. All is well here? You know, we're gearing up for a serious weekend of some football. Yes, and I'm shocked. I'm shocked that there's point shaving happening, legalized gambling. What could go wrong?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, sometimes people get a little greedy and some people want an unfair advantage and they'll grease some problems to get it. Hopefully they'll get it all cleaned up. That's the hope, right, I mean, we want integrity in that, like we do in just about everything else.
Speaker 14: Hopefully it'll be our government at work for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of which, go ahead, I'm sorry, go ahead, No.
Speaker 14: I'm looking forward to our conversation. Where would you like to start?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, there is so much going on, but I think right now the headline of headlines is that they're ongoing protest on the ground and tussles with engagements that have gotten quite violent and led to one shooting of missus Good who has left her partner behind, her wife and some kids. That's being investigated. There have been questions about that it has taken a more serious turn subsequent to it. If that's even possible another shooting with someone apparently trying to evade allegedly Ice and Border patrol. This continues to go on. The President dangled out the idea of the Insurrection Act, and then of course Governor Walls, tim Wall's former vice presidential candidate, and the mayor of Minneapolis Fry apparently it talked about the idea of the tenth Amendment. Same thing in the state of Illinois. Can you explain Tenth Amendment issues surrounding policing on the ground in a state compared to say, DC in the federal level, and them getting involved because of the call about Insurrection Act is also a fairly serious step.
Speaker 14: It is. And even before we get there, a judge just ruled tonight, a district judge telling Ice they may not pepper spray or use tear gas against the protesters, and she also reiterated that they may not be detained. Now, obviously, if you interfere with operations, that's a different matter. But but but the protection of these individuals, and this goes to the authority who you know, who will have authority here. It's such an interesting ongoing conversation. Here we are at a States Rights argument. Uh, And you know, so many cases have been argued already abortions for example, who who will make the rules about transgender athletes? States rights? States rights? And we're coming down to a states rights argument as well, as you also may have noted earlier, the mayor and the governor have been subpoened looking into the corruption case in terms of all the public spending. So they filed three or four motions, you know, trying to go at the federal operation from a number of different angles. Are they going to get emergency attention to it? I don't think so. My question tonight is where is this going? And is there any chance that someone, somehow we will be able to de escalate the situation. And how did Obama manage to arrest and deport five million people during his presidency without demonstrations like this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well what happened then? Because I don't know that a lot of people doctor Schliheck were paying attention except people that were directly involved with that. So what is the difference? I mean, the President Obama stayed a fairly low profile with it at the time. President Trump, of course, has made this effectively a pillar or a lynchpin in his presidency and effectively that helped get him re elected.
Speaker 14: A lot of the arrests under Obama were at the border. What they avoided doing was going into homes and places of business. Right, does this sound familiar a little bit? It's it definitely should. The story out of Minneapolis today was dining in a in a in a Somali restaurant and then arresting the workers afterwards. But to come back to your question about the Tenth Amendment, it's it is a question about who will have jurisdiction, who will have authority, And you know, the Tenth Amendment leaves you know, a lot to the states, right, But this is a federal immigration case. You see the problem and the expectation is I don't think it's a very strong argument. It's federal immigration. These are federal authorities. The judge who ruled today about the treatment of the protesters said, you know, you may not arrest if you don't have documentation. You may not arrest you know, citizens, certainly unless they are interfering with your operation. But Minnesota is asking the courts to, you know, to rule on a case of states rights and state authority. I'm not particularly persuaded. I don't think most people hearing the argument would be it's our immigration problems, our border issue. Customs. Immigration are federal in scope. They happen to be focused in Minneapolis right now. But I think it's one of those, you know, very very slender case. They've got a couple of other arguments that they are making before the justices right now. I share your concern though about the Insurrection Act. We have to go back to Rodney King. I know you're not old enough to remember Rodney King nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's very funny.
Speaker 14: I followed it. You do remember them somewhat, at least you've seen stories. And the state had to ask the said to come in, so that's that is the standard. But when you read the Insurrection Acts, it's short, it's vague, it's broad, and who has the power to declare it? One person, the President, under what conditions the ones that he that he cites, So he has incredibly broad authority and it's not invoked often. Is this a Rodney King situation? The irony, of course, is that Minneapolis and twenty twenty dealt with riot's protests having to do with George Floyd. Correct Another one of those weird coincidences in this case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very troubling. I can remember the Rodney King thing and how that related. I can remember being on the air at Tui and Dayton, which is a rock station for those who don't know, and the TV on and looking up and seeing that white Bronco being chased slowly on the five I believe is what it was in southern California in the midst of all that subsequent to it, with the OJ thing and everything else, sort of in and around that whole window of time where all kinds of weird stuff was happening, seemingly.
Speaker 14: The slow motion car chase, yeah right, yeah, correct on the interstate in California. This is before the age of drones as well, but with helicopter coverage. So to come back to Minneapolis, local state authority basically overwhelmed right now, just by the two or three thousand person delegation that's that's been sent up there. The mobilization of communities and citizen groups is something that I've been interested to watch. You know, the communication networks, it's usually just a WhatsApp chat or a text and distribution of whistles, right, but a lot of the people who are protesting is this is not all blue haired and middle aged white ladies out there protesting as well. The community solidarity is something that I think is is being demonstrated, whether it is the late night protests at the federal facility, but the way citizens alert neighbors when they think ICE might be in the neighborhood. It's toughened public response despite as you said, one death and at least one one shooting. But the public doesn't seem to be in a mood to back down. And of course, in situations like this, who de escalates?
Speaker 1: Well, and that's who was the question?
Speaker 5: How?
Speaker 1: How how does this back off in a situation like this, Doctor O'dona Schlechts, the former head of political science at right stage, she's not Professor Meredith was sterling on the Big One talking about what's going on in the Twin Cities, Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Speaker 5: So in a.
Speaker 1: Situation like this and the you know, interfering with ice border patrol agencies they go about their work. There has been questioned about how involved Minneapolis police or Saint Paul police have been allowed to be involved. We know that they were shut out of this investigation around MS Goods killing and how that played out in the talk of absolute immunity, which I think has a lot of people rankled, regardless of political ideology. To the idea that somehow there is no check in balance for law enforcement on the street, federal level, or otherwise is somewhat suspect. I think, where is the line as far as interfering with these people doing their work, and what I mean by that is showing up as a crowd, filming them from a distance, not engaging, not physically interfering. Where is the line there of what's acceptable and not. I know they're teaching people some of this, but we've seen a lot of these protesters cross that line and engage physically. And some of the border patroll or ICE agents also seemingly quite aggressive in making some type of point with the protesters as well.
Speaker 14: Boy, you know, these conversations are so painful. I mean, this is Ohio, right, We had a can state situation here ourselves. It's it's it's it's very troubling. The level of organization seems to be sporadic. You know, it's the Internet, it's it's what app The neighborhood groups show up when when they're alerted that there is ice there. But the judge ruled today that you have a right uh to film, you have a right to observe uh and and not be impeded uh in that you have a right, she said, to even follow, but not obstruct, not obstruct their vehicles if you're in traffic, but the moment there is obstruction, then the rules will change if you begin interfering. And of course that's when things get messy, really messy, with a lot of people who may never have been UH trained to deal with crowd control under circumstances in which you know, the hostility I suspect is quite palpable people. You know, the agents know that they're not welcome, and they're being filmed uh in incredible stress on the people who've been sent there, And a lot of questions have been raised about their training and fairly, but a lot more questions have been raised about the lack of an investigation into the death of an American citizen. Well, true, I'm sorry, we don't want to we don't want to let that one go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, when we shouldn't, I mean, all the way around, you want it to be investigated and open in the daylight for everyone to see, so that you know, it's just bewildering where we are right now. I don't think honestly, and I'm a fairly independent minded person and more of a libertarian, but I don't think anybody wants law enforcement around doing the job without being identified. I don't think most people are happy at a time when you see around the world news stories of marauding gangs, be it enforcers for other regimes and other countries that we talk about as being our enemy or needing our help to help get them freedom and law enforcement on the streets from regard, and I have friends in law enforcement. This is not an anti law enforcement rant, but the idea that you can have law enforcement with firepower, with authority and immune unity, not necessarily always identifying themselves face is covered showing up in the middle of the night while you're on the job or at a school, regardless of the threat of docsing asking for people's papers to identify themselves to prove that you're a US citizen. A lot of people say, you know what, that's infringing upon my rights in my liberties, and who are they to ask me anything that's a tough place to be in.
Speaker 14: I think that sentiment that it's gone too far is being reflected very very clearly in some of the recent polling that we see not necessarily objecting to the removal of illegals.
Speaker 10: Oh.
Speaker 14: The judges order tonight made it very plain you have a right to ask officers to identify themselves under what authority are they acting? You have a right to ask for a badge number. Her order will be a good checklist of instructions about rights that you do enjoy if it comes to a confrontation. But your point about being asked to prove your citizenship, that should chill Americans. You know, you've not had to carry your identification papers in this country since probably World War Two. That one is deeply troubling to people's center left and right. You know, the when you empower law enforcement, you arm them, you train them, there has to be there have to be rules, and there has to be accountability.
Speaker 1: It puts them there needs to be and I think most of the people that I know that are in law enforcement and first responders, et cetera, they will agree with that. And you put them in a really uncomfortable, compromised position in this but a lot of what we've seen, and it's hard if you're in that day after day getting yelled at it, and you know, whistles blown and in your face and saying all kinds of hateful stuff as you're trying to go about your work. And you know they need to be professional and let that roll off of them as they try to go about it. But it's a very disconcerting circumstance in which we're living. It's an odd disc.
Speaker 14: And law enforcement in Minneapolis and in the states Minnesota have been put in an even worse position. You know that they've been pushed aside. But when there's an emergency and you think ICE or someone is breaking you down your front door, they call the local police.
Speaker 1: Right, so then they one and if they're not already there working in concert with ICE, in the Border Patrol and whatever other federal agency alphabet soup is there, whether they're openly identifiable or not, which sometimes they're not, Which is the problem that I have because if somebody just rolls up to me while I'm driving down Montgomery Road or anywhere else in the tri State, and they may have blinking lights, but I don't know who the hell they are, and they're not you know, labeled as you know, state trooper, County sheriff, Cincinnati Police, Daton Police, whatever else it is is I'm going to be very very much lacking in my willingness to engage them. The only difference is when they you know, they have firepower that they put in your face to show you they can end you. Which things get pretty serious. Whether it's a criminal or a cop trying to do their job. It's a bad, bad situation that we're navigating right now. I don't know the way about it. Curling, I wish I did skirling.
Speaker 14: How much trust has been lost and been eroded in this process? Yes, I think being skeptical of authority, that's an American tradition, you know, being asked to, you know, say what is your authority?
Speaker 5: Why are you here?
Speaker 14: You know, do you have paperwork? Do you have an arrest warrant? That that's every American's right. Those through the guidelines. We expect law enforcement to abide by the specific rules about masks. A couple of recent cases have tried to strike down local rules against that. That one will be litigated probably long after you know, this situation has been resolved. But that fundamental trust that law enforcement needs, and that the police in Minneapolis have been working their tales off since the George Floyd situation in twenty twenty to try to rebuild in the community. And it is just it's a law enforcement disaster across the board.
Speaker 1: I hope that this does not escalate. I'm in some ways surprised that it has not gotten worse sooner as this has moved on. And obviously a lot of it's made for TV, made for soundbites, made to deliberately instill fear and to polarize people. It's just the nature of I guess, the business of politic today. But it's troubling on the streets of this country. It shouldn't be that way, in my opinion. I wish we had more time, but we're out of it. Thank you for doing what you do and making time so late. I know you got a lot going on. Professor Meredith from Wright State former had a political science She is a Cincinnati kid. Doctor Dona schleg thank you so much for doing what you do and giving us some time on the big one.
Speaker 14: Good night, Sterling.
Speaker 1: Thanks take care of yourself. You're eleven third reports straight away. Travis layer hes elates of what's going on around the planet and bringing it home here to the tri stake. David Purdham joins me talking point, shaving NCAA hoops and more straightaway seven hundred WW