Speaker 1: The quest for the free peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're here running back.
Speaker 4: To get in on the show called eight six six, not eighty seven, two five seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: It's been an exciting first two nights of this ten game homestand going into the All Star break as the Dodgers come from behind again against the Padres to beat San Diego.
Speaker 3: Four to three. Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vase say with you until eleven o'clock tonight on this third of July. I hope you're being safe out there wherever you may be. We have phone lines open at eight sixty six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. We'll hear from show hal Tani coming up in a little bit. We'll also let you hear from Teoscar Hernandez again. Jose Moto will check in, and I also have an update on Kei y Hernandez and.
Speaker 3: Also Alex Call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Alex Call noticed he hasn't played in a while, but isn't on the IL. I'll share with you what's going on with Alex Call as well. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number the Dodgers tonight with their fifty eighth win of the season. They're on pace for one hundred and six wins this year. They dropped the Padres below five hundred for the first time since April seventh. They have a fourteen game lead on San Diego, who's now in third place in the NL West, and the Arizona Diamondbacks, who lost tonight to the Brewers, are thirteen and a half games back of the Dodgers in the NL West. The Dodgers certainly got a good start from Otani and Rushing, just as far as the fact that there was so much drama and talk and soap opera being made out of them not being on the same page in the first couple of innings in Otani's last start in Minneapolis. Well, tonight, there was no shaking off. There was no challenge disputed by anybody. In fact, there wasn't even a challenge in play that Rushing or Otani wanted tonight with Trip Gibson behind the plate, so there was none of that. You saw a lot of head nodding like they were on the same page. There was a lot of embrace coming off the mound. But the one thing that Dalton Rushing had nothing to do with was the fact that Otani was laboring through those six innings tonight. He threw one hundred and ten pitch in six innings. If that's not laboring, I don't know what is. He gave up a home run on a ninety nine fastball two to zero ninety nine fastball to Jackson Merrill in the fourth inning with two outs.
Speaker 3: He walked a couple of batters in the first.
Speaker 2: Innings, so it just seemed like maybe eight days of rest. He was a little rusty, and who knows how the right bicep was feeling. Who knows how that left knee was feeling. Who knows how his overall body was feeling on the mound. Because we are seeing something that is unprecedented, I know, we take it for granted and now it's just a kind of normal thing to see Otani pitch every week and do marvelous things every day as the leadoff hitter and DH for the Dodgers. But don't take this for granted. This is not the norm. And playing at this level, just as a hitter, just as a hitter in the middle of July July third, you're going to have your body not feeling great. Just as a hitter. Now think about this, just as a pitcher start to start, it may take a little bit more recovery time to get ready every fourth or fifth day. Now we're talking about a guy that is playing every day, doing things on the basis hitting home runs and then having to pitch every week. You combine those two things. How many starts I would love to know at the end of this year if Otani would ever answer this question, how many times this season did his body feel ninety percent? Not even one hundred percent? I would venture to say that on July third and moving forward, the body's not going to feel great, even though he gets more sleep than anybody, even though he's on the cut edge of how to get his body to recover. So there are going to be nights like tonight where he does labor on the mound and he is zero for three.
Speaker 3: At the plate.
Speaker 2: That's just being human, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I thought the biggest thing though tonight was that him and Dalton Rushing were on the same page. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modelo the mark of a fighter. All right, ta Oscar Hernandez. Uh, you know how much I'm in Taoscar Hernandez's corner. If you were listening during the off season, there were some of you that wanted to trade Teoscar Hernandez. There were some of you that wanted to trade Teoscar Hernandez last year when he was fighting through a groin injury. And I'll say this. I have said this the last two postseasons. I'll say it again. You can't spell October without Teoscar Hernandez. Without Tayo, you can't spell October. And this guy is one of the most clutch hitters the Dodgers have on their team. And he was hitting the ball, crushing the ball before he heard his hamstring. And he was crushing the ball in Oklahoma City. And now he got his feet underneath him, getting that rhythm again. After coming back off the il in Sacramento, and he smelled blood. When Adrian Morejone threw that Frisbee ninety slider right down the middle of the plate, there was no chance Oscar Hernandez was missing that and that was the go ahead Grand Slam. First Grand Slam for Tioscar Hernandez since he did it at Yankee Stadium wearing a Dodger uniform in twenty twenty four back in June. Remember that series in June. That was the Yamamoto Taoscar Hernandez series. And for Tiascar Hernandez his sixth career Grand Slam. Two of them have been against left Let's hear from Tail again. We caught up with him after the game.
Speaker 5: I mean it was a big situations, you know, big moment of the game. We were losing. I wasn't trying to drive all forwards, but it was a good swing and then thank god I hit.
Speaker 2: It up after the air by Croninworth. Obviously the stadium feels it. You're a big moment type of player. Do you feel the momentum? Do you feel like Mora Home feels like he has to make a perfect pitch to you.
Speaker 5: I don't think so. He knows he's a good pitcher. He just like it happens. Sometimes you just right to make a really good pitch and you left it over the play.
Speaker 3: But you know, I just better go swing on that pitch.
Speaker 5: Obviously he didn't want it to throw it there, but you know, we just trying to keep the momentum. But I wasn't trying to drive all four runs, but just trying to have a good as good contact and just write one.
Speaker 2: The emotions you showed after you hit that Grand Slam reminded me of the Grand Slam you hit in San Diego in the NLDS. Did it feel the same even though it's not October.
Speaker 5: It's always feel the same, especially when we play at home. These fans are unbelievable. They bring the energy every single day, the support. They always there supporting the team, supporting. I was even when we were down, and that was a big moment of the game. So I have to slow my body down, slow the game down, and just trying to give them a good show.
Speaker 2: I'll self report, I got caught up. I didn't see who brought you the sunflower seats when you got back to the dugout.
Speaker 5: It was Andy, Andy at only a lot, a lot of the like the rest of this heats, the are in the bottom of the bag. It was all over my face. But you know, it's one of those moments as a hitter you take anything.
Speaker 2: Way to go, Tail, Great to have you back, great to see the smile, Great to see the slam six in your career.
Speaker 3: Now Tail, there you go.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm keeping the receipts for ta Oscar Hernandez sixth career Grand Slams.
Speaker 3: And you could hear the joy in his voice.
Speaker 2: He has great joy for this great game, and he has great joy for life.
Speaker 3: Uh and uh.
Speaker 2: Anybody that's been around Taascar Hernandez feels the love from him. Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number we'll hear from Otani and Rushing coming up. But first let's go out to the calls. Peter in mar Vista, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 7: Peter, Hey, Dave, how are you doing.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm feeling great.
Speaker 2: It's been a it's been an electric two nights here at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 7: He sure has last night's and I've been fantastic. I did before I get what I'm gonna say. How many National League teams have won three World Series in a row?
Speaker 3: None? No National League team has ever three peeded.
Speaker 7: The Dodgers be the first, right, Yes, okay, that's always very curious. Back the Dodgers start of a team of destiny as they're coming from behind so many times. He says they've tied for the Braves and can the Diamondbacks for most come from behind wins this year?
Speaker 2: That's correct, twenty seven times they've come from behind.
Speaker 7: I think he hits Stale and Glassnow back this year.
Speaker 2: Snell should be back by the end of July. Glass Now was thrown out here, so I'm not sure. I'm not sure when he's coming back. But yeah, think about that. No Snell, no Edwin dis no glass Now for the last month plus. Will Smith has missed the last month and is going to miss the rest of this homestand and also Evan Phillips hasn't pitched this year. He's expected to be back by the end of this home stand as well. Evan Phillips tonight, by the way, pitched in another rehab appearance. He pitched a scoreless eighth inning for Oklahoma City only through twelve pitches, nine of them were strikes, and he struck out two batters. So all in all, in ten innings of work, Evan Phillips in his rehab appearances has allowed just to earned runs and has thirteen strikeouts and five walks. That's gonna be a huge boost to this Dodger bullpen.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to.
Speaker 2: Palmdale, Darryl, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 3: Darryl.
Speaker 6: Hi, David, what's going on with your better living the dream?
Speaker 3: Daryl?
Speaker 6: This Dodger team has to be the most complete team up a scene in my life. I mean, but I've got one question. I need that Field has come back. Who's going to be the closer?
Speaker 3: Will be?
Speaker 6: Hey, they're gonna move tennis back to setup.
Speaker 2: They'll be using Tanner Scott in the eighth, the seventh. Maybe they used Diaz in the eighth and have Scott match up. That's the beauty of having both those guys lefties and rightis. But Diaz is the closer.
Speaker 6: That's what little to see. We have a poop hem, I mean, we have a poop him give up the lead out seven. I love to see. I love what to do him and I love with Dave Robinson. Still the scene. This man is best. Whatever he touched terms the goal, and I just want to say, BET's look Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Preefe all right, thank you for the phone call, Daryl. Darryl's not too far off. When the Dodgers do have a lead late in the game, they usually win.
Speaker 3: How about this.
Speaker 2: If the Dodgers are leading after eight innings, they're fifty four and oh, nobody has beaten them. When they have a lead after eight innings, fifty four and oh, and when they have a lead after seven innings, they're now fifty and four. So Daryl was onto something. Let's go out to Bob who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Bob, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Uncle Dave, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 8: Man, what an electric night at Dodgers Stadium. Man, Holy smoke, David, like you always say, it's an event. First of all, you got show Hey pitching, which we were lucky enough to see.
Speaker 6: That was a miracle.
Speaker 1: This guy was amazing. I know he was.
Speaker 8: Struggled a little bit through some of the innings, but he still pitched grapes and I got us through six.
Speaker 9: You got Tao hitting a grand slam. The place went bonkers when that happened. You could feel it in the air, when the bases were loaded right there with Tao coming up. It was just such a perfect moment. Then the guy, my buddy, my best friend, Brant went out to the game with caught a foul ball.
Speaker 7: I mean, does it get any better than this Dodgers win?
Speaker 9: It would a knife Just I feel so lucky to be a part of this team, be a fan out there watching his team play, no doubt, Bob.
Speaker 3: Glad you were here.
Speaker 2: And certainly, not only could you feel it in the air, you could feel it in your feet because when ta Oscar Hernandez hit that grand slam, the press box was shaking because the sellout crowd of forty nine, five hundred and seventy eight made it shake. And it was definitely one of those postseason feelings, because when a big home run is hit or a big play is made, the press box shakes at Dodgers Stadium, and tonight it was shaking when ta Oscar Hernandez hit that go ahead grand slam off of Adrian Morohane in the seventh inning eight six, six, nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. All right, let's hear from show Hey, o Tani. We want to hear from him about how the right bicep was feeling, how he was feeling out there on the mound for six innings.
Speaker 10: Show Hey, First, just it's not typical. We see you come out of the game late. Was there a reason just that Miguel Rojas pinched it for you late in the game?
Speaker 11: A yeah, more precautionary reason. And I was a little concerned with my biceps with the last at bat that I took.
Speaker 10: When you look at just the stuff on the mound right now, ultimately the numbers really have been excellent. But I know, you know, you are someone who who wants the best. How do you just assess a night when you have the strikeouts but you do have some of that hard contact there.
Speaker 11: So it's like, uh, yeah, I think I did the bare minimum, which is to get through six, give the team the chance to win, still keep the you know, game in check.
Speaker 1: But there are some good and some bad in there.
Speaker 5: I think clearly, wasn't he right?
Speaker 12: My SEPs?
Speaker 5: And then did you sort of feel on the specific sway?
Speaker 11: Not media they consist my grandma, not on the schedule. Yeah, it's my right biceps.
Speaker 1: It's the same location that I, you know, felt.
Speaker 5: A couple of months ago.
Speaker 11: And it relative it went away pretty relatively quickly, so I expect that to happen again.
Speaker 2: All right, there's show Hey Otani on Sports Net LA. Look, I don't know, you know, Dave Roberts said it was benign. It wasn't even on his radar two months ago. That's how minimal the discomfort was. And Otani's right bicep. Nobody has really noticed it. We haven't seen him favoring anything when he swings, but two months ago he wasn't really swinging the bat that well, and maybe that was part of the reason why. So, uh, he's not going to be in the starting lineup tomorrow as the d H. That's the right move and we'll see where it goes after that. But look, any sort of issue with Otani's right bicep, his pitching arm that that raises a red flag.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, it's it's something. It's something.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue on Dodger Talk more of your phone calls. We'll also hear from Dalton Rushing. We'll check in with Jose Mota. We'll give you updates on Keyke, Hernandez and Alex call and I'll get to this. This question about the Dodgers chalk line of the batter's box. Somebody called in and wanted to know why it was different at Dodgers Stadium than it was in other ballparks.
Speaker 3: Well, it's all uniform. Now we'll fill you in why.
Speaker 2: After the Dodgers beat the Padres four to three on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: On air at AM five seventy online at AM five seventy LA Sports dot com, in available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Tongue with David Masson TAO against thee leti hone. First pitch, here's Pabbard.
Speaker 3: This is way back then. It is gone.
Speaker 1: Grand slam.
Speaker 13: Teoscar Hernandez tale on time in the Dodgers lead four to three.
Speaker 3: What a moment at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 2: Ti Oscar Hernandez delivers the knockout blow and the seventh inning a go ahead grand slam off of Adrian morahone and that would be the final score tonight as the Dodgers beat the Padres four to three, eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Tonight's four to three win is the dodgers fifteenth one run victory this season. They're fifteen and eleven in one run games. Daniel Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card. Visit AM five seventy LA sports dot com. Use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. Let's go out to Tarzana. Kenny, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Kenny?
Speaker 14: I dodn't know well tonight, David? How are you?
Speaker 3: Couldn't be better?
Speaker 1: King? Terrific?
Speaker 14: So you had mentioned just a couple minutes ago the Dodgers record referee eatings. I think he said it's fifty four to oh right, yeah, it's terrific. So Canner Scott Obviously all of us were not happy last year, but he's got an amazing forty five k's to three walker season and verty twelve out of thirteen saves.
Speaker 6: What do you attribute the difference to why do we have this one to eighty?
Speaker 2: Well, Number one, I just think his head's in a better spot. He's more comfortable. He's not really feeling the weight of his contract and a new team and expectations. He's just being himself. Number two. It's just different. The fastball is different this year. The slider's different. I'm not a pitching coach, and Tanner really hasn't been able to explain it really well what the difference is. He just said that he's thrown better pitches and his fastball has more life. So those are the best answers I could give you.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate David.
Speaker 14: All right, take care.
Speaker 2: There, right, Kenny, thank you for the phone call. Yeah, it's different. I mean that pitch that Fernando Tatists Junior struck out on to end the game. It was an eighty seven slider and it did catch the bigger part of the plate. But I could read Dalton Rushing's lips. Here we go again, reading lips. But he was Tanner Scott wanted some feedback on a pitch, and I think he was asking about that slider to Tattoos, and you could read Rushing's lips at the end of the game, saying it was nasty and that would explain why Tattoos Junior didn't swing at a pitch that was eighty seven and appear to have the bigger part of the strike zone. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Linda, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Linda, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 15: Oh, hey, David, how are you.
Speaker 2: I think we've established I'm doing pretty good these days, Linda, how are you?
Speaker 15: I'm good? Thank you, just calling to you know, I kind of wanted to chat. I was on hold while I was listening, and Showy kind of answered my question. But you know, we were at the game. It was great, it was exciting, it was awesome.
Speaker 9: We loved it.
Speaker 15: We loved Tales Grand Slam. But I was sitting so far away that I couldn't see whether Shohey was hanging out in the dugout or all. But we didn't see him, so we were just a little concerned, and so that was the reason I called, and he kind of answered my question. We kind of knew about the knee issue, but I don't know if the bicep thing is new.
Speaker 2: Well, he said he felt something like this two months ago and it kind of went away pretty quickly. But Linda, let's be transparent. If Otani's feeling something more than just a little discomfort in his right bicep, he's not going to say it. The Dodgers aren't going to say it. But he came out of the game and they're admitting that there was something going on with the right bicep. And when you're talking about the best player on the planet, any little thing that they say is happening is concerning.
Speaker 15: Yes, you're right about that. And we were concerned and we were looking for him and we're like, we don't see him, and I hope he's okay, et cetera. So you know, I mean, we're only in July.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers need Otani in October to be the best hitter in the postseason. They don't need Otani to be the best pitcher. They need Otani the hitter.
Speaker 15: Correct, Correct, you're right about that. So I'm just hoping everything's good and uh, you know, he covers from whatever he has and and that you know, we have a great rest of the season, which I'm sure we will, but yeah, thanks for all that you do as well, and we appreciate you and and go Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Thanks Linda, thanks for coming out to Uniclove Field at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number speaking of the field. If you were listening to Dodger Talk during the Padres series in San Diego, somebody called in about the chalk lines around the batter's box at Dodger Stadium compared to Petco Park and other stadiums. And when I got a call like that, I was thinking, what's the big deal about that? It's not a huge deal. But what I will tell you is that was a very observing caller because up until two homestands ago, the Dodgers batter's box chalk lines were extremely thinner compared to the ones at Peco Park and the ones that you see across other Major League stadiums. And here's the story behind why it was a thinner line up until two home stands ago. Back in two thousand and seven, they used to be the way they were tonight, where it was thick chalk lines, Except my understanding was it wasn't chalk.
Speaker 3: They were painting those.
Speaker 2: Lines, and a guy by the name of Andre Ethier said that the glare from the paint lines was distracting and he couldn't see the ball that well, and he wanted the lines changed to make it thinner because the thick paint of the batter's box being painted was affecting his vision from the left handed side of the batter's box. So the ground screw back then acquiesced, and it's all the same batters box. That's uniform, right, But the chalk lines or the paint lines don't have to be as thick as they are at Peco Park or at Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati, or at Dodgers Stadium tonight. And here's the reason why it got changed back two homestands ago. The Dodgers' hitting coaches, Aaron Bates, he asked the ground screw, hey, can we go back to the way it is at other ballparks to have the chalk lines thicker?
Speaker 3: So they said, yeah, sure, no problem. So there you go.
Speaker 2: That's the story behind the batter's box and how it changed from pre two thousand and seven post two thousand and seven to.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty six. Two home stands ago.
Speaker 2: It was Andre Ethier, of all people, and I did text it him to confirm that, because Tony Gwinn Junior was the one that remember remembered and outed the player that asked for the batter's box lines to go to a more thinner line, and it was Andre Ethier. Not surprising. I don't know if you know this about him. He's kind of high maintenance and a foodie. So it was my guy, Andre Ethier. And seven and Dodgers hitting coach Aaron Bates asked the ground screw, Hey, can we just have it the way it is in every other ballpark? And Jordan Lorenz, the head ground screw keeper, said sure. So there's the story. Let's go out to Rico, who is at Dodger Stadium tonight. Hi, Rico, how you doing?
Speaker 6: Ollo Mala?
Speaker 16: Hey, Philly good Man. Just got out of the Dodger Stadium and thanks to the Mulana show that we got out of the parking lot. Real smooth today.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 16: Anyways, Hey, listen, Davie, we are in the heads of the San Diego Padres. It doesn't matter what they do, they're all gonna fail every time they match against us.
Speaker 17: There's a couple of Padridge fans around my area field level when they were up three oh ooh, they so happy. But once the Oscar hit that home run, man got quiet, and I think they went home because they know they end up coming back.
Speaker 2: They went home to sad Diego Rico, Hey, DV I got a question for you about Tucker.
Speaker 17: I believe that, you know, being a Dodger, being signed as a Dodger, it's great to say, Okay, I'm gonna be a Dodger, but it's also a lot of pressure where it takes over their performance. So like Tanner Scott last year and Tucker now, they're not living up to what we're expecting it to be.
Speaker 16: But I believe that everybody wants to be a Dodger. But once they find out how it is Dodger, I think a lot of players don't really, you know, live up to it, and that's what happens.
Speaker 6: I think, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like there's a lot of big names in that room.
Speaker 2: And Michael Conforto even admitted this last year that he tried to compete with Otani, with Freddie Freeman, with Max Munsey. And once you start doing that and not being yourself, it gets away from you, and I feel like maybe Tucker fell into that trap. But he's starting to get that rhythm, starting to see the ball better, starting to be himself, and I think that's the reason why you're seeing a better version of him the last thirty played appearances.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number before we get to Jose Mota. Let's head back downstairs to hear from Dalton rushing on sports and at LA.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I thought he can take the two walks in the first out of it. That's it's hard to get out of that kind of situation. I thought you did a good job throughout the game. These guys saw him just a week and a half ago. Speaking as a hitter, you you kind of have a better idea of what guys are trying to do to you over a course of facing a guy twice in a week. But I thought he threw the ball really well. I thought he gave us a chance to win. King was throwing the ball really well tonight. Made it tough for us to put up runs. Luckily, we got a big swing out of Taoe and it was enough to do it. But I thought show I threw the ball really well.
Speaker 10: Tonight, everyone and even yourself talked about how you know you could use last week as a learning experience. How did you find just now coming out of this outing and kind of how you two were able to kind of communicate with each other at work with each other and also just like get back on track together.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's kind of like a booster confidence. You feel as if you guys are on the same page throughout the whole night. And like I said, obviously you take those two walks in the first out of it, and I think he had a very quality start. He gives a chance to win, and that's all we ask out of our starting pictures every time.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 9: Well, Connie said last time and when he started calling his own pitches that he kind of wanted to show you what he likes to do.
Speaker 5: How much better do you feel you understand what he likes to do now?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I thought tonight I had a good idea of what he was trying to do. I thought we were on the same page a lot tonight. And uh, obviously that once again has a boost of confidence moving forward. It's not an easy guy to call for it, but also, he's who he is for a reason, you know. So, uh yeah, I'm glad we were on the same page for most of the night and look forward to his next one.
Speaker 3: What makes him challenging?
Speaker 12: Call forward, there's a lot of pitches that are really good, a lot of options. Yeah, I think that's the best way to put it, just just to bok while you over the pitches tonight.
Speaker 10: The majority Yes, Yes, How tough is it sort of game plan anting by anying with him, especially because like unlike a traditional picture, like you're not really like sitting with him and the.
Speaker 1: Dugout, like you don't really have this time between eatings.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's tough. It kind of we have to lean on Mark a little bit for translation obviously, well helping out with translation, but Mark just kind of communicated between the two of us. It makes it a little tougher obviously, but I think he does a great job with it. And like I said, I thought we were on the same page lot tonight.
Speaker 2: After what happened last Wednesday in Minneapolis, I tapped into a few former catchers that I respect and they said the same thing that Dalton Rushing just alluded to, that it's not as easy to get on the same page with some pitchers, especially a guy like show Hey Otani who has a bunch of really good pitches. Not to mention players sometimes sees things, see their stuff different than other guys do in the middle of the game, so all of that sometimes contributes to pitchers and catchers not being on the same page. But as you saw tonight, after Otani led the way from the third inning on last week and just getting on the same page communication wise, it was a lot more smoother tonight as the Dodgers beat the Padres four to three. Otawanni go six innings tonight, throws one hundred and ten pitches, more pitches than he's ever thrown in a Dodger uniform. Alex Call was in the dugout. He was ready to go tonight, but not sure if you notice this, especially in Sacramento where the as started. Two lefties engaged Jump and Jeff's Springs, and there have been some lefty relievers in between all that as well, and no Alex Call. Alex Calls had a really good year and really good defensive player for the Dodgers. He played a lot in the Minneapolis series and also a little bit in the San Diego series, but he was not available in that Sacramento series, so not many people know that, but Alex was dealing with back spasms and was not available, and the Dodgers did a great job of not tipping their hand to give Mark Kottse any sort of competitive advantage. But talking to Alex today, he told me he was ready to go. So that is behind him and he is available moving forward the rest of this homestand so that's good news for the Dodgers. All right, let's check in with Jose Moda.
Speaker 1: It's tough to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Moda, let's I know everybody wants to talk about the Otani rushing drama Otani's right bicep, but come on, we got to give Taoscar Hernandez some love first.
Speaker 18: Let's do that. Let's do that task. Hernandez came back in Sacramento, went back to play some games against Reno, and Reno he wanted to really get the at bats on Rehap that he needed and he wanted to play actually at a higher level. So Tayo had the option of playing close to here or not. He goes, I want to play at the higher levels. When I come back, I want to make sure that I have seen some better pitching, more various pitching. Goes down there and does a fine job getting the bats, getting the rest left field, making sure that leg is, you know, at about one hundred percent. And here he is. And one thing too, And I was talking about this with Lewis and the brockass. Think about this, Dave. You've had Moki out, You've had obviously Tommy Edman out. You have to osk her out right. None of these guys have to feel like they have to carry the team when they come back. All they have to do is do their jobs. And for Tail, when he's batting seventh, there's no ego involved. He knows what he needs to do. Is not like, let me make this a fight to you know, move up in the order.
Speaker 1: Not at all.
Speaker 18: But what I liked about Tale today was the fact that he put away the first couple of up bats who was a little bit out of sync coming back, and then he just says, somebody's got to provide the power. It's going to be the got on the mount, the shortest one he could take right path to the baseball and there you have it, and I think, as he was telling you during the interview, which I really you know, caught my ear, you got to think small sometimes to make bigger things happen. And that's why that momentum right there was carried by the swing and his mentality of thinking, if I do a little bit too much, I'm gonna pop it up. But you'd think small and have the big results because of that love it.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us after the Dodgers come from behind again to beat the Padres four to three.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: O'tani said that he felt this discomfort in his right bicep two months ago. Two months ago, Otani was not hitting the ball really well. So how concerning is this right bicep issue?
Speaker 18: It is concerning. We cannot hide that. I mean, I'm not gonna say it's bad, but I'm saying it's got to be concerning because you think about connecting muscle right there to your shoulder into your elbow. That's connecting tissue right there.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 18: Even though he says he felt more on the swing, there's got to be concerned with a guy that has to put so much emphasis on his pitches, on his throwing, on his hitting that is his lead arm when he lets go. If you're a big swing, that's you know, bicep, tricyp elbow, we'll exposed. So I think the Dodgers will know the right thing for cushion wise and having him sit tomorrow. It's the right thing. But let's not take for granted the fact that he's had two major surgeries in his elbow, and when you have something so close to the elbow, you're gonna be as careful as possible to make sure that you don't overdo it. Either.
Speaker 2: And when you hear guys like Oral Herscheizer talk about the mechanics and the lower body, if you're compensating for let's say your landing leg, maybe that puts some stress on your right bicep.
Speaker 18: It could happen. You talk to orl many times about this and other pictures some when they have had something happen with the lower bodies, with the ankle. He surely has had issues with back in Japan obviously with the knee now. And he is so clean mechanically when he needs to be to clean things up and make sure he doesn't compensate or aggravate something that, Yeah, it's sometimes compromising the case hopefully is not that. But I did notice warming up before the game. Dave and I pointed this out. I said, he just does not look right mechanically. He was calling, you know, first couple of warm up pitch is before the game on throwing a couple of singers away to rushing and he yanked both of them on the inside part. And I'm like, that's kind of a strange to see that happening this early when he's just warming up. I mean, he battled. I mean what he got through tonight, it was all guts to get through that lineup. We just know the best hitting lineup. They made him work. There's a lot of hard contact. But to get through those innings and go one ten today was all. I'm pure gusty because I think mechanically he was a little bit out of whack.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's what the great pictures do, right, Jose. You may not feel your best, you may not have your best stuff, but you go out there and compete.
Speaker 18: You think about this, those guys don't look at the bullpener see come help me. They're like, hey, I'm here because you're counting on me. Guys, let me do my job and here's one thing too, learning from a great picture of the past and of the present. How many times you were talking about Otani earlier, the hit about his body hold maybe at ninety percent? How many times? How many pictures go out there for thirty thirty three starts and have their best stuff every single time? None? None, I don't care who you are. You may have it for twenty five, maybe twenty, but the other thirteen you're gonna go out there and just say, I'm gonna grind through this. Somehow. I got some help from the guys behind me, but your mental aspect and makeup has to get you all through that. In this case, also give some credit tonight to Dalton Russian and the fact that they're on the same page, and more has been made out of this than it should have been, maybe because of the close publicly great let's move on. But Rushing is a guy too that he's stubborn enough to go I believe this pitch is better for you tonight. And there's been times when he has convinced Showy to make a pitch. You know previous starts where Showy doesn't want to make it and gets out of it. But if you see showy tonight taking charge and saying my command is not there. The breaking ball was a little bit of a skullful and consistent of the release points. He went, just here's one hundred, here's.
Speaker 1: One on one.
Speaker 18: But let's not try to be too fine with it. Ride down the middle. Let it ride, and that is what the big boys do, all right.
Speaker 3: Jose, thanks a lot for checking in.
Speaker 2: We will talk to you tomorrow night with Yamamoto on the mound on the fourth of July. Okay, there he goes Jose Mota, part of the Spanish radio broadcast. After the Dodgers come from behind again, down three nothing early and Taoscar Hernandez hit to go ahead three or grand slam after a Monseie and Mookie were at first and second and Jake Croninworth booted what was a tailor made double play from Kyle Tucker. Instead it was bases loaded, nobody out, and Taoscar Hernandez delivered on the first pitch. Hitting a grand slam is sixth of his career and tomorrow the Dodgers will be back at it.
Speaker 3: On the fourth of July.
Speaker 2: I hope you're gonna join us because they have the postgame fireworks show at Dodgers Stadium following tomorrow Night's game, game three of this four game series. And I'll say this, the Hollywood Bowl, the Rose Bowl, and Dodger Stadium the three best places to be on the fourth of July, hands down. And like I said, Dodger games are not just games anymore, their events, especially on the fourth of July. A sellout crowd is expected for the game and to stick around for the fireworks show. And just before we get you said for the pitching matchup tomorrow night, want to deliver on what I mentioned earlier. Keyk a Hernandez has been taking ground balls at third base and today hit batting practice on the field for the first time since going back on the il with a left oblique strain and all seem to go well, and that's a good sign. And Keyy is expected to come back sometime after the All Star break, so that was good to see. But he's been smart about it, not rushing to come back. Wants to make sure this oblique injury is behind him because it was a severe oblique strain and those things if you reaggravate it, you restrain it, it could cost him the season. And he obviously does not want that to happen. Yamamoto on the Mount tomorrow against Griffin Canning. Canning's one to five with the NRA of seven zero nine Yamamoto eight and five with an ERA of two sixty seven. Our coverage begins at six o'clock, with first pitch at seven ten. Thanks to Colin Ee back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can hear our pregame conversation with Tommy Edman, who is off to a great start to his season on fire ever since coming off the IL. Also want to give a shout out to our friends at Downy Hyundai. Can't wait to get into my Ionic nine Dodger Blue on the way home, and hopefully not too many backyard fireworks going off on the way home. Be safe out there, and we can't wait to talk to you tomorrow on the fourth of July, the two hundred and fiftieth birthday of our great country. Look forward to it. Then, once again the final score. Tonight, the Dodgers come from behind beat the Padres four to three. And by the way, the Padres have lost seven in a row. They're looking to make it eight in a row on the fourth of July. Tomorrow night, see you.
Speaker 10: Stand.
Speaker 1: Let's just stand.