Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 4: We're gera running back to.
Speaker 5: Get him on the show called eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seven Day and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David vasselas Day.
Speaker 6: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vassey with you until eleven o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers conclude thirteen in a row with a four to three win over the Rockies. They finished this stretch of thirteen in a row winning every one of the five series that they played or the fourth series that they played nine to four, including beating the Padres seven times in a matter of ten days. They beat them three out of four here at Dodgers Stadium, they beat them two out of three in San Diego, and they basically, you know, really sent the Padres into a tailspin that not many believe they can recover from. And they certainly are on the fence of being sellers or buyers at the trade deadline, but the Dodgers are worried about themselves. And the Dodgers are feeling good. With only three more games to go before the All Star Break, they have the most wins in baseball. They have the best record in baseball, sixty one to thirty three. They have a fourteen game lead over the Padres, a fifteen game lead over the Arizona Diamondbacks, who will be in town on Friday night to finish the final three games before the All Star breaks. So things are looking good and the Dodgers just want to remain healthy, and tonight they were able to get a good start from Roki Sasaki.
Speaker 6: It looked like.
Speaker 2: It was going to be another one of those nights from Roki Sasaki after the first couple of innings, And give him and the Dodgers a lot of credit because the realization is that the Dodgers are developing Roki Sasaki at.
Speaker 6: The major league level. Not many teams can do that.
Speaker 2: They are developing him at the big league level, and he won't pitch probably in the postseason if everybody's healthy, unless something has gone completely sideways, which I don't expect. But Roki Sasaki could be a weapon out of the bullpen if he does what he did in the fourth inning when he was in a heap of trouble with runners at second and third and nobody out, and what he did in the fifth and sixth innings tonight where he just turned off being so mechanical and thinking too much and just competing on the mound. That's what the Dodgers want from Roki Sasaki. What you saw in the fourth inning, what you saw on the fifth inning, and what you saw on the sixth inning. Stop being such a thinker, stop worrying about your mechanics, and just go out there, monoe mono and compete. You got you've I mean, there are four or five six guys watching this guy in between every start and bullpen sessions. I feel like the practice is in there, Uh, the intention is in there between starts. And the Dodgers Dave Roberts sees that once you're in the game, it's time to compete. And Dalton Rushing has told me before where there are times where he's not really happy with the temperature of Roki Sasaki. As far as the competitive temperature and he'll say, hey, throw another one. I want to see that fire before we go out there on the field. So that's something that Roki Sasaki has be has to be conscious of, and I think we saw that when he retired the last nine in a row, including when he was in a heap of trouble in that fourth inning where he had runners at second and third with nobody out. I mentioned last night on Dodger Talk that I believe with Tommy Edmund being backed, being healthy, that he is the perfect number two hitter for the Dodgers.
Speaker 6: And as good as the.
Speaker 2: Dodger offense has been all year, and they are the best in a lot of categories, even advanced statistics, they have not found a guy to be successful hitting between Otani and Freeman, hitting second behind Otani specifically, and you wonder if guys hitting behind Otani are trying to do too much because he's superhuman. Nobody can be Otani. You gotta be yourself. And whether it's Mookie Beds who was struggling early on in the year, or Freddie Freeman who is struggling early on in the year, or Kyle Tucker who has never really thrived in the number two hole in his career and now Andy pae Has, who has struggled for the most part hitting second. He's a variance type of hitter, so it's hard to put him in that bucket. But he's not a number two hitter. The number two hitter that the Dodgers have available to them now that he's healthy and off the IL is the guy they had in there tonight, and that's Tommy Edmond. He makes things happen, and as he said on the postgame show, he doesn't change his approach whether he's hitting second, whether he's hitting seventh, even the Dodgers have had him hit cleanup, whether he's hitting ninth, same guy, same approach, and he can do a lot of different things hitting second behind Otany. He can lay down a bunt like he did a couple of nights ago twice. He can go the other way, he can hit a home run, and he he's a threat from both sides of the plate. You need a guy that can hit lefties hitting behind Otaani and Tommy Edmund has more power from the right side than he has from the left side. So for me, even when pahz is back in the starting lineup on Friday night. I would hope to see Tommy Edmund hitting second because it changes the dynamic of things. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. How about Alex Call. He put the Dodgers in a tough spot in the first inning tonight using both abs challenges, and he was wrong the first one. Like I said, it's cringe when you see the video on the scoreboard and at home and the baseball, the digital baseball barely barely touches the outside line of the strike zone. And I'm not gonna fault Alex Call for the first one, but you used one already in the first inning, and that is so far off the Dodgers' team game plan. There was nobody on base. It's the first inning. It wasn't a high leverage situation. Alex Call has a great sense of the strike zone, and I felt like in that situation, it's like him doubling down on sixteen in Vegas like I would hit playing third base and the dealers showing a four. That's what it was like when I was watching that, and he got the first one wrong and then he went he doubled down in the same at bat in the first inning, I felt like Alex Call doubled down on sixteen with the dealers showing four. That's just so far outside of the Dodgers' game plan that was explained to me at the beginning of the year. Number One, they want to save the challenges for their catcher to help the pitcher. Number two, they want to save it for hitters in high leverage situations, meaning the final three innings of the game, down to your final nine outs. And Alex knows better, but I just feel like he got super David Vass emotional at the plate like I would at the blackjack table. I'm not going to self report that I doubled down a few times with sixteen and a few major leaguers at the blackjack table in spring training, but that's what it felt like. Alex Call felt like David Vass at the blackjack table when he doubled down on those two abs challenges in the first inning.
Speaker 6: Eight six six.
Speaker 2: Nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones for the first time tonight. Hi, Dan, you're in SeeMe Valley. How you doing Dan?
Speaker 7: Thank you for taking my call. David, I'm doing great. You know, I just want to say that this Colorado team can look very scary if they get some really good pitching because they're young, and if they can keep them together. Dave, I'm telling you, they're gonna replace not only the Arizona Diamondbacks and the San Diego Padres as the one chasing the Dodgers in the near future.
Speaker 1: I see that.
Speaker 7: I mean, they're really a young, gutty team and very.
Speaker 2: Impressaring Dwayne McDonald right now, our producer engineered the ballpark, Dan, because I told him the exact same thing last night. My prediction in twenty twenty eight is the Rockies will be the Arizona Diamondbacks. They will be a wild Card contender with Josh Burns helping out Paul d. Podesta, and they'll figure out the pitching. And they got a good core of young position players, including their catcher Hunter Goodman and their third basemen My one A slash one B favorite Caros Kyle Carros.
Speaker 7: Absolutely I agree. And a question, you know, you know, and you bring it up. You brought it up a few times tonight, that second spot. Why is it so difficult for these top hitters to to actually settle in and be productive in that spot.
Speaker 2: Trying to do too much and they're not comfortable hitting second. Everyone was individual. Remember Mookie wasn't doing so good at the beginning of the year. Freddie was cool to begin the year. Kyle Tucker just never was comfortable hitting there, and Pa has certainly is not a number two hitter. And Will Smith is hurt now. So to me, Tommy Edmond's a number two hitter.
Speaker 7: Thank you Dave for taking my call.
Speaker 3: You have a great evening.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dan, see me valley right there, adjacent to the San Fernando Valley. That's why you had a great take tonight.
Speaker 7: Oh man, Hey, we're pretty close.
Speaker 4: You know, we're in the same vibes.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it, Dan, Thank you for the phone call. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello. Modello the mark of a Fighter. Let's go out to Lars, who was at the ballpark tonight. Hi, Lars, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: Heveve assay, exciting game, exciting series. You talked about how well we did against the Padres, and yeah, you would not guess it would feel like some playoffs managed baseball games against the Rockies, but to win that series to win by a run in two games of the three, lose by run in the other, and I thought the guys really showed a lot of heart. This is the kind of game that you've got to win in the playoffs, and particularly it was great to see guys like Rookie stepping up and Riquez Dryer, and then there's quality at bats, particularly late in the game. Again not trying to do too much. I feel like everyone sees Otani go yard and they feel like they have to follow suit, when in fact we scored that run on three consecutive singles to put us ahead. So I thought Doc did a great job of manager of the game, giving guys enough rope to prove himself and to instill confidence as we close out the first half of the season. Couldn't be proud of our guys.
Speaker 3: It was great, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Lars, thank you for the phone call. And Dave gave the bullpen a lot of credit. And Jack Dryer came in after Roki Sasaki completed the sixth inning. Dryer came in for a scoreless seventh inning, and to me, that's the best we've seen Jack Dryer in a long time. That looked like the Jack dryer from last year, and that was encouraging to see alex Vesia.
Speaker 6: Doing this thing.
Speaker 2: The eighth inning was a little shaky Max Munsey, who for whatever reason is having some issues at third base defensively lately after having such a great first half. There you know, bat error with Braxton Fulford, and then to me, the biggest key at bat in that eighth inning was Alex Vesia striking out Rumpfield with the bases loaded. To me, that was the biggest moment of that inning to recover from the error by Moncie. Let's go out to Scott in a Gorara Hills. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Scott?
Speaker 4: Hey, Dave, I'm doing great.
Speaker 3: You know why?
Speaker 4: Why is that because we all get to eat tomorrow? Thank God for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Women.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, they're gonna feed you.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow seven dollars.
Speaker 2: You're gonna stuff your face tomorrow, Scott. Aren't you out there at a Gora Hills. You're gonna go to that jack in a box right off of Canan Road and stuff your face thanks to the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: The Chevron, you know it. Hey, shout out to Todd the PA guys. My buddy.
Speaker 3: I know he's on the way home and he's Todd Lights.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like wo hey, Dave, here's the deal and you just said it. We're missing Will Smith. That's the problem in the lineup.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd say the Dodger offense is doing pretty good Scott without him. But my my thing with Will Smith is they need him back for October because he is the most clutch hitter in Major League Baseball and Dalton Rushing has not been tested in October. So if Rushing's the guy, you know, I believe in him, but the emotions in October, he cannot let that get the better of him. So for me, Will Smith is is is battle tested in the month of October, and that's when the Dodgers need him the most. Eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers beat the Rockies tonight four to three. Mookie Betts came up with the big hit in the eighth inning after back to back singles by Tommy Edmond and Freddie Freeman against Antonio Senzatela. Let's hear from the Dodgers cleanup hitter on sports Net.
Speaker 3: La. You've come through many times in your career in clutch moments like you did tonight. What is the feeling like for you to be able to deliver in that situation?
Speaker 9: It feels great, you know, helping the boys way, and I mean it's really, uh, it's really all it is. I mean, play the game to win and you know, just coming through in a big, a big moment. I mean it's kind of like what you, uh, when you're a kid playing in the backyard. You know, getting that hit is kind of what you uh always strive to do. And fortunately, fortunately I was able.
Speaker 3: To do it.
Speaker 7: Fell behind in account early and and they really had to fight fight your way through.
Speaker 3: What's kind of your approach, What's going through your mind as you get through that.
Speaker 9: That Yeah, I was just trying to drive it to to start, and once I got down, I don't know, I was just uh just had this calmness. I mean I was just you know, kind of just relax you know, just kind of relax. And you can't force it. You can't h hit a bad pitch. You know, you still have to get something decent to to get the job done. And I think kind of relaxing actually helped me a lot. And I was at to kind of stand in bath.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Mookie Betts and I can help understand, help you understand what he was saying there, because I am sending my son to the best baseball summer camp that you could ever send one of your youth to, and that's the Reggie Smith Baseball Camp.
Speaker 6: And this is not an endorsement.
Speaker 2: This is a legit from the heart validation of a great, fun, disciplined baseball camp with Reggie Smith and his coaches in Encino.
Speaker 6: It's a weak thing.
Speaker 2: My son went there last year, he loved it, his friends loved it. I sent him back for this week. And in fact, my son made fun of me yesterday because I was talking to Reggie for two hours while the camp was going on, and basically I got more out of the camp than he did, or just as much yesterday talking to Reggie Smith and I in those two hours, I learned more than I've learned in ten years, just hearing his cerebral approach. Just one of the best coaches and best hitting people that you could ever talk to. The wisdom he has. And here's some of the things that he explained to me. Here's the one thing, and what MOOKI said right there was that his head was clear, And I asked Reggie about that, and he actually explained this to me. When hitters can't really describe what's going on when they come through in a big spot like Muki did in the eighth inning, or when they're on a hot streak. When they're on a hitting streak, they can't really describe it. Right when you talk to guys, what are you doing? What exactly are you doing? They can't tell you. Because he said, the biggest thing as a hitter, you want to have unconscious competence, meaning that you're not thinking at the plate. You let your mind get in the way of what you're doing at the plate. It just gets in the way, and in that split second of you being conscious and letting your brain get in the way, it affects you. So he said, some of the biggest things to take away from what Mookie said right there, or what other players will say, is that they're in that zone of unconscious competence, and that makes a lot of sense. He taught me a lot of other things that I'll be able to share with you over you know, the rest of the time I'm doing this, and it'll be great to have Reggie honored as part of the Legends of Dodger Baseball on August fifteenth. But man, yeah, sorry, sorry, kids, I was talking to Reggie Smith for two hours. Okay, But look, Reggie is very wise. But he has great coaches. He has coached, he has taught his coaches really well. And it's a phenomenal week of camp nine to noon. And I would man strongly encourage you if you got kids that want to learn how to play the game of baseball. I love Reggie Smith and I love what he teaches. And these big leaguers, if they're searching, I could I could direct them off the one on one freeway where to go to the great Reggie Smith, because sometimes different voices help you out. But literally, the Dodgers hitting coaches, they got thest the best players in their lineup. It's not like they're going to re teach Freddie Freeman or reteach Kyle Tucker. They just got to help guide them and give them whatever they need, and they do a great job of that. Aaron Bates, JT. Walkins, Rob van Zoyak, and the rest of the staff. All right, we're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll check in with Jose Mota and try to fit in more phone calls after the Dodgers beat the Rockies four to three on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 5: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David vasse.
Speaker 2: The three two pitch that swags bas Hecks, pound Edmund's cars.
Speaker 6: Dodgers take the lead for Monkie pets. That is the thirty second.
Speaker 4: Go ahead run bat it in on the eighth inning or later in his career. He is in the top ten.
Speaker 10: In that category among active hitters.
Speaker 6: You know what else Reggie Smith taught me.
Speaker 2: I asked him about Mookie Betts and when he's going good and when he's struggling. He said, too much head movement when he's struggling. And if you go back and look at the replay of his go ahead base it in the eighth inning, zero head movement. His head was completely still. So see Camper's and David Vassa got a lot out of Reggie Smith during this week in Encino, Daniel Steelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel Steweler's gift card visit AM five seventy lasports dot com used the keyword home run and to your name you could win.
Speaker 6: Daniel Stewelers Own the dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with hose Dane Motor.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, Man, you learned a lot from Reggie Smith and the boys back in the day, and I got a huge lesson yesterday.
Speaker 3: Well that was just two hours for you. I was spent, I mean days and summers just following Reggie number eight. He went to write field to Shag. I was like, Reggie, I have another question, Reggie. This was about base running, Reggie, this was about switch hitting. I mean, if you want to get him going a lot, start talking about switch hitting as a power hitter and you'll be in for a major. Major. Tree's always fun to talk to Reggie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, isn't it so simple?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: If you go back and look at the replay of Mookie Space hit in the eighth inning, and I'm sure when he's going good a lot of head movement, you can't you can't move the head four inches up or down to the side and expect to get hits.
Speaker 3: Well, think about this, David. I mean not that I was not an outstanding hitter, but I was taught if your head moves, the fast ball right down the middle is gonna move too. Why would you want to make a fast ball move when it's not supposed to right. But as hitters, sometimes you get into these funks like overthinking, Uh, let me see what the ball's coming out of and before you know your hiss moving, your eyes are moving. Your eyes are not level, which is another thing. A lot of hitters their eyes are not even level. So you know, try driving without level eyes and you'll see what I'm talking about. You know, tilting your head it's hard. So you know, Reggie and Dusty and Ron Say and Steve Garvey, we're very good about guys throwing bullpens and just standing there watching the baseball come and it's like, you see, when your head doesn't move, how well we see the balls, Like, yeah, that's slightly that I thought it was nasty, it really isn't. So yeah, Dave's about simplifying things and you know, not overthinking, which every hitter does. But I think for Mookie bets going to Mikey specifically two great at bast today. First at bat today where he let off a very good slider off the kid who was outstanding Hughes, and then the last ap bat he can't come into that into that bat again, sends a Taela eleven for twenty three, and I'm going and if anything, don't think about mechanics, think about your results if you had against him, because every hitter knows exactly what they've done against a hey pitcher. And Mookie worked him saying I'm I'm gonna get something good to hit and did not miss it. And it was good to see that, you know, for him to line the ball that way, because they've been kind of dropping his hand a little bit more, dropping his head a little bit more. And now staying scored through the baseball was big at a big time, all right.
Speaker 2: The development of Roki Sasaki continued tonight, a little rough in the first few innings, and then somehow he started to take off after he was in that second and third nobody out jam and he got out of it without giving.
Speaker 6: Up a run.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you what sometimes like as a hitter he hit a ball hard, it's an out, and he said, okay, I found something. I think the rookie because of at least or Alfonso found something today in that situation, second and third, nobody out. He threw a couple of pitches that perhaps are hard to handle in the dirt on the side that Alfonso says, like, you know, if you throw it again, try to go for the strikeouts. I'm gonna block it. I'm going to go to it. And that builds you as a pitcher. And for anybody thinking it's gonna be the finest pitch in the corner, just nibbling the corner, it can't be with guy like Sasaki, but you wanted to throw the ball as hard as you can. You want him to throw whatever pitch is working and reading hitters and reading swings. So tonight, for example, he got away from the slider. Why it just rolls. It just has no effect as a projects let him know. So he went more with al Alfonsa to the splitter. Now not the floating little splitter. He throws the fork ball, but just finish it and let the fastball run and forget about mechanics and let it happen. So Because of that, Dave, he got seventeen chases today, seven on the fastball because now he's changing eye levels, and nine on the splitter. Good for Rokie, big step for in. But I think eliz Are Alfonsos there's a lot of credit on the way he managed him today.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like he has to stop thinking so much about mechanics and going to just the compete mode? Was that competing or was it survival mode? And Fonsie finding a way to get him into that headspace.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you what. We catch winterball and you face a face and then you catch so many guys from different organizations, and you learn so much about philosophies. You have an ability to go, you know what, man, you're just thinking too much. Trust me and throw that pitch right there. I want you to throw it right there fifty feet and I'm gonna take care of it. But that's the picture we need with that, David, I think for Rookie to be honest with you, maybe less people around to when he throws bullpens, maybe less information onto spins and work takes and things like that, and what the pictures, Well, the pitches went how many inches from that hinting zone and just let it fly and let it go. Man. I mean, this guy's numbers of the pad were like he was unheittable. You are about two ten. I mean. But sometimes the trying to please people, I think it's in the way and away from competing is Tyler Glasow says, so many times, just be athletic, let it happen. You got to try system and the method that they used to help you with your bullpens, your sides, your conditioning, and once you get into between the two white lines, it's like I trust everything that I've done. It's like preparing for a test. I mean, you got to say I trust that I've done everything so far to get this test and get past it and pass it. Well, same thing with pitching. Just allow yourself to know that you're good enough and ready enough. Less information, more reaction is always better.
Speaker 2: All right, jose enjoy the day off tomorrow. We'll talk to you Friday night on Showtime Day Show. Hey, Otani will be on the mound for the Dodgers, so we'll see how he does in his final start before the All Star break.
Speaker 3: David, you'd be well, my friend. Adios.
Speaker 2: There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. Let's take one more phone call before we say goodnight. Larry was at the ballpark tonight, Larry, because you came to the game, I'm taking.
Speaker 6: Your phone calls.
Speaker 2: So let's walk it off in a strong way.
Speaker 10: Well, we can walk it off first of all with you, Dave. You know you were brilliant having Edmond at second base. What is Dave Roberts listening to you? That was such a great call on your part.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if he was or not. If he does, he would never admit it.
Speaker 10: I'm sure well. Edmund's great there. He's such a smart player. Having him that second is brilliant. Here's my question for you, Dave, and that is with Scott doing so well that when DS comes back, does DS go right into the closure role or if you think they'll job share it.
Speaker 6: That's a great question.
Speaker 2: I mean right away going back into the closer role possibly. I feel like that's his inning. But why the Dodgers were attracted to him is because he's a lockdown closer obviously, but is willing to pitch in the eighth inning if the matchups at the high leverage part of the game is in the eighth inning, So it depends on what the game situation is who's coming up in the lineup. But I guess the better way to say it, Larry is that, yes, the Dodgers will throw him into the deep end right away.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. But I hope you have a nice break. I hope you get some time off during the All Star break. You're the best.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Larry. I appreciate it, and thanks for listening. I appreciate that we don't have a day off tomorrow, even though it is an off day for the Dodgers. We have off day Dodger Talk. If you want more, David vasse Am five to seventy LA Sports has got you covered. We got an off day Dodger Talk show tomorrow night, seven to eight o'clock and we have two very special guests. Mike Serota, the Dodger alfield prospect who is playing for Tulsa in DOUBLELA has reached base in seventy consecutive games. He's gonna join us tomorrow night and he is headed to the Futures Game, part of All Star Week. The Futures Game is gonna be on Sunday and Hosway Depaula and Mike Saroda have been selected to participate, so you'll hear from Mike Serota Tomorrow night on off day Dodger Talk, and also the best third base coach in all of Major League Baseball, Dino Ebel, will join us as well, not only talking about the Dodgers, the All Star Break, possibly throwing in the home run Derby, but his younger son, Trey Ebel, is going to be drafted in the first round of Saturday's amateur drafts, so we'll talk to Dino about that as well. So we've got a loaded show on an off day. Tomorrow David Vasse Dodger Talk from seven to eight o'clock and tomorrow show. Hey Otani will rest for a start on Friday night, his final start before the All Star Break. Otani's eight and two with an ERA of one seventy nine. It'll be the Arizona Diamondbacks in town to close out this ten game homestand and close out the pre All Star Break schedule. Our coverage begins on Friday night at six o'clock, with first pitch at seven to ten. Thanks to Colin yee back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it. The iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight from Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers defeat the Rockies four to three. We'll talk to you tomorrow night at seven o'clock for off day Dodger Talk. Fox Sports Radio is next.
Speaker 6: We'll see you. Send it away