Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. We're joined right now by the nineteen ninety two National League Rookie of the Year, the man that currently holds the most home run sit in Los Angeles Dodgers' history, and obviously a very popular man with the new generation as a broadcaster on sports and at LA. That's the one and only Eric Harross. Thanks a lot for the time. I always love catching up with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Great to be with you, David.
Speaker 1: All right, So before we talk about what's happening with the team, there's a couple of things I want to bring up with you.
Speaker 2: If that's okay, I'm all yours.
Speaker 1: So, when the team was in San Diego, you had a very eventful couple of days, from what I understand, a great golf day with Dave Roberts. But then my understanding is you were spotted in the swimming pool of the team hotel. Do you like to take laps in the pool?
Speaker 2: No, I gotta get out and move around. You know, when you get to my age, it's called water therapy.
Speaker 3: You're probably a ten years away from beginning that I had to recover from the golf round on Thursday. Yeah, I was out in the pool surveying the sites and getting in the water.
Speaker 1: Was it like a scheduled class of water aerobics, No, it.
Speaker 3: Was, and it was just an opportunity to go down there and interact with some of the fellow occupants of the hotel.
Speaker 1: All Right, And a little known fact about Eric Carross, the final team that he played for in his illustrious baseball career was the Athletics when they were in Oakland. You have something in common with guys like Dusty Baker, Ron Say, Davey Lopes, Mike Piazza, among others, where former Dodger greats have played their last games with the A's.
Speaker 3: I believe Nomar may have been there as well. And so it was ironic you bring that up. One of the first days I had gone over that spring training, Steve Vusinich, the long time clubby there. He was back there, you know, with the swinging A's in the early seventies, and his first introduction to me. He comes up and he goes, hey, Kay, pleasure to meet you. Just want to let you know this is where.
Speaker 2: Longtime Dodgers go to die.
Speaker 3: And I was like, what, Like, I wasn't familiar with any of it, you know, and then you know, I started looking at the history and then the irony of it is even after myself, you know, Mike Piazzago, you know, no mar and everything.
Speaker 2: And I'm not sure if Manny was ever there too, but it but it did. It was real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Manny Ramirez did go there. And that's that's where telling you, Hey, when you think about the A's obviously Moneyball, the movie made Billy Bean, you know, transcendent. What was your interaction with Billy Bean?
Speaker 2: So I was relatively close with Billy.
Speaker 3: Billy was about four years ahead of me, San Diego kid.
Speaker 2: He was the Bob Garren.
Speaker 3: So everybody knew who Billy Bean was because he Mount Carmel High School the next coming and all that sort of thing. So I was very familiar with him. And then you know, along the years we had mutual friends. And so when I was in Oakland, you know, I actually, you know, because I didn't play a lot. I was I was tuning and Billy would be down in the exercise room and he'd be doing his cardio watching the game, and I'd be in there.
Speaker 2: And so there was a lot of interaction, a lot of respect for Billy.
Speaker 1: So that's an actual thing. We didn't just see it in the movie. Billy Bean would watch the games on a treadmill.
Speaker 3: No, dude, there was there there that was pretty factual that movie. You know, outside of the fact that we did have Moulder, Hudgson, you know, Zito, we had some elite pitching, you know when I was there.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean that that was it was very very realistic.
Speaker 1: Eric Carros is our guest. He's on the call this series for Sports and at LA. Let's talk about the Dodgers. They have the most wins in Major League Baseball. It feels like they're being overlooked. A couple of players are being overlooked, guys like tom Yedman. The Dodgers have gotten taoscar Hernandez Back. Do you feel like the rest of the league should be concerned considering where they're at and they haven't been holed yet.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the league is very cognizant of the Dodgers, right. I think sometimes we as fans, though, there's a lot of worry when it's like, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: You know, this is just an.
Speaker 3: Exercise of getting ready for the postseason. It's basically, you know, the season is to go out, get yourself ready, find out what guys are going to be most productive in what spots, get things right, make it through the season, and then get ready to.
Speaker 2: Roll in October.
Speaker 3: But I don't think you know, throughout the league, everybody is fully aware of how deep the Dodgers are and as you just mentioned, you know, the most wins in all of baseball and doing it with a roster that has been relatively hard hit for most of the season.
Speaker 1: How much does Tommy Edmund mean to this team?
Speaker 3: Well, I think what he does is he provides something that there isn't a lot of in this ball club.
Speaker 2: And that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: You know, the versatility, the switch hitting, the speed, that can play a number of different positions infield, outfield, and so there aren't a lot lot of those tools or pieces, I should say, and so he is. He is one of those. And that's why you know the Dodgers went out and acquired him a few years ago, why they'd always had their eyes set on him, and why he signed to a multi year deal.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, Eric Carros, You've been through a lot in your baseball life, and everybody from the outside wants to find cracks and good teams. Like this, When show Hail Tani takes the mound on Friday at Dodgers Stadium, do you feel like everything that went on in Minnesota is behind him and rushing?
Speaker 3: Well, so remember that didn't just emanate in Minnesota there. You know, if you go back to the Pittsburgh game, all it is is really it's a miscommunication.
Speaker 2: And for me, at the end of the day, at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: If if show Hey wants to challenge a pitch, challenge a pitch, right like that, that solves everything. And I think, you know, if you look at the origination of all of it, it's, you know, again, some misunderstanding, some miscommunication. You know, Dalton being a young player, he's trying and you know, he tried to challenge one. He didn't get the pitch, so then he's tentative and he doesn't challenge future ones. It's not just about Hey, you know what we saw on the TV. I think the guys are fine. Look, Showy is the best that this game has ever seen.
Speaker 2: I think it's fine moving forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I talked to a few veterans and they said whatever miscommunication there was, it was squashed on the bus ride to the team plane. But also a learning moment where if you have those type of miscommunications with all the cameras, take it downstairs and in the tunnel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that goes without saying, right, especially nowadays, because there's nothing that if it's within camera view then there's a pretty good chance it's gonna get caught.
Speaker 1: That's like you and me. Whenever you have an issue and you want to blow up at me, we come into an office. We don't do it in the broadcast booth.
Speaker 2: We just do it on air.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time. Obviously you mean a lot to a lot of Dodger fans instill the organization. So thanks a lot for doing this.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it. Thanks Davi.