Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: We are a join right now by Dodgers second basement. A young man that is coming of age for the Dodgers, and that is Alex Freeland, great stash, great beard, great edge.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dave Roberts is coming up on one thousand career wins and on the last homestand there was a teaching moment he had with you and Ryan Ward. What do you remember about that conversation.
Speaker 1: Us about situational hitting, just having a plan and trying to execute a plan in certain situations, you know, like bases loaded or running around third less than less than two outs, like you know what you gotta or you gotta know what you're looking for, and like that's the stuff that wins ball games when you execute the little things. So that those majority of the conversation.
Speaker 2: As you get older, you'll learn what I did. It's not what you say, it's how you say it. For him to have you on the bench, Ward on one side of him, you on the other side of him, and deliver it the way he did, does it hit home more?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Man, I mean it shows he cares, and it's it's nice to have as many people as possible in your corner. And it feels like he's in our corner every single day. So like I appreciate him just going out of the way to to teach us, you know, I mean we're younger guys. Yeah, so he doesn't have to do anything, you know, like he can leave it up to the other coaching staff, but you know, he goes out of his way to make sure that that we've learned from it and and to not let it eat us alive. You know, like me and me and Ward being young, like we want to provide when when we can, and sometimes you don't get the job done, but like even if you don't get it done, like there's stuff to learn from it. So you know, it feels nice that he's in my corner.
Speaker 2: Were you surprised that he cared that much?
Speaker 1: Know, I'm not surprised because I know he wants to win more than anybody on the team. So you know, like like I said, like those situations like they matter the most. You know, like could win a ball game by one run and you know if you execute right there, like that's where you won the game. So no, I wasn't surprised that he was that amped up to be talking about it.
Speaker 2: Alex Freeland is our guest. We're on the grass on the field here. This is where Alex Friedland lives. On the grass. You're a baseball rat. You love the game, and I'm wondering, after last year's experience and you playing virtually every day this year, do you have a better understanding of what it takes to get through a full major league season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. I mean it's tough, it's long. You got to pace yourself and take the breaks when they're given. But you know what, I'll do this until I die.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, what have you learned the most about how to get through it? Not get on that roller coast?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You can't ride it, like you can't ride the ups and downs. I mean, because there's gonna be ups and downs regardless. Like I don't care if you're Freddie Freeman or or some no name, Like everybody's like Alex Freeland. Yeah exactly, exactly, So like everybody's gonna gonna have the highs and lows, and it's just all about like perspective from on how you look at it. And it's you know, you just can't get too high, I can't get too low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you look at other left handed hitters in this lineup, obviously they're not going to pitch you the same way they pitch Freddy and Otani. Is there anything you could take away from at bats ahead of you, from Tucker and Munsey that can help you when you go to the plate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I mean it's nice to see a good amount of lefties go before I do, so I get somewhat of an idea of how the how the pitcher is gonna attack. But you know, everybody's different, everybody's got their own game plan. But I mean it's just nice to to see another lefty in the box. So yeah, it's helpful, all.
Speaker 2: Right, before I let Alex Friedlin go. You know where I see you have the most fun is around second base because you're sneaky, really good at doing some magical things around the bag. And it seems like MOOKI has a lot of joy playing with you. How much fun do you guys have with each other? Being able to turn double plays, being able to think the game, talk the game right there on the field.
Speaker 1: Well, Mookie's a baseball junkie too. So I mean I think I think he just enjoys like the little ins and outs of it, and so do I. So, I mean it's just fun to play with somebody. I mean, I feel like we're similar in certain ways, and I feel like we have a good connection up the middle. So I mean it's just fun. We can we can have a good time. But like we're all about our business when time comes, but we know how to have a good time.
Speaker 2: See the most humble superstar you ever played with? Freddy's pretty humble Freddie.
Speaker 1: Yeah him or Freddy I mean, or show. I mean, they're all humble.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks a lot for the time, Thanks a lot for aligning me in your office on the grass. This is really special. You're getting ready for your pregame routine, So thanks a lot for the time, and let's do this again soon. Hey, the coaches are noticing exactly flocking to my world.