Speaker 1: WLW This is a Bloomberg money minute. Some drama at Lululemon. Wall Street Journal says Chip Wilson is launching a proxy fight to remake the company's board while the athletic retailer looks for a new CEO, and the report says he thinks shareholders won't trust an e CEO who is picked by the current board. As for trading on Wall Stock futures right now, pointing to a lower open Tesla and Nvidia among the shares weighing on sentiment, Oil meantime gaining as US led talks to end the war in Ukraine failed to yield an immediate breakthrough, and that dollar fifty Costco hot dog and soda deal for Costco members is getting even more enticing for some, with USA Today pointing out two membership deals on right now. The warehouse chain is offering involving a free twenty or forty dollars digital Costco shop card to be used on your next trip, depending on which kind of membership deal you select. Denise Pelgrity, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: W l w N, Cincinnati, I thought we talked to Jeff Ceas over the since a choir this morning talking about what happened all year long. Jeff, good morning, Thanks for joining us here.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Good tuck to you. I saw this a couple of weeks so I wanted to talk to you about it.
Speaker 2: You guys did a story a couple of weeks ago the eight most notable concerts in Cincinnati history that I enjoyed reading. Tell me how you came up with the eight and then we'll talk about a little bit of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, my colleague Cadiza was really kind of the one working on that, and she asked me to kind of chip in with some ideas, and so, you know.
Speaker 4: She did most of the writing and stuff.
Speaker 3: But you know, when we were kind of rolled some ideas of what are the big concerts, you know, things like the Beatles, who are pretty obvious, the Cup tragedy, I mean those are major ones, and kind of like chose things that people still talk about, you know, it has an impact. And some of them were wild, like I can't believe that concert ever happened. And some of them are like everyone was there, everyone was talking about it, and something like Taylor Swift and you see how the media covers it. That's exactly what it was. Like when the Beatles were here, Beetles were bigger. But you know, it's still a comparable. You know that these are the concerts that people still talk about. And you know there's plenty more than the eight as all of the readers who sent emails and.
Speaker 2: You got both Beatles concerts, and there's sixty four and sixty six, and I believe the one at crosley Field was twenty eight minutes long compared to what they do with concerts now, was that a twenty eight minute show?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The Beatles shows were very I mean the concerts were just not as big productions the way they are today. You know, the Beatles didn't even have monitors on stage to hear the their own music playing, so they couldn't hear themselves. The people in the pans couldn't hear them, so they couldn't hear because they were screaming so loud. So they were out of town. They were playing too fast, and they would just play through like twelve songs in twenty eight minutes. It was just quick, quick, quick, quick, wick And it was really you know, in the Beatles case, it was an experience. It was like I got to see the Beatles live. That's kind of like why you went. He wasn't to hear the music because he had the albums for that. But yeah, it was very different than the three hour special effects extravaganza as they do today.
Speaker 2: I assume Elvis in nineteen seventy seven, a couple of months before he died at Riverfront Coliseum was one of those Hey, I saw Elvis kind of concerts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know.
Speaker 3: From the reports, you know, I had colleagues that have had been to some of those shows. Elvis just had this rapport about him that you know, when you went and saw him, he was like, yeah, that's Elvis, you know, like he could put on a good show. I've seen the concert footage of some of those later ones, and you know he's he's not doing too well, you know, but his voice is still incredible, and it's just yeah, I get. I mean, I know my my parents, that was the one show that they saw when they were younger, is when Elvis came to town. They went and saw Elvis.
Speaker 4: And here's what I remember.
Speaker 2: Prince nineteen eighty four, he did a surprise show at Bogart's.
Speaker 4: Didn't he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was it was not announced or anything, and you know, Bogart's is a you know, historic venue, but it's you know, the small venue, and you know, it was it was just kind of like word of mouth. People found out that he was doing a secret show to kind of try out his Purple ragin tour, and you know it was just if you lucked out to have been to that show, that was I mean, it still talked about today.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Jeff Csover the Sassa Chuirer their story about the eight biggest greatest concerts in Cincinnati history.
Speaker 4: Grateful Dad.
Speaker 2: This is one that I I missed wasn't living here then, but a lot of people don't. I haven't heard a lot about this Grateful Dead show in Cincinnati nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 3: I think that's what Jim Tarbell did. And you know, Tarboro was one of those movers and shakers in the music community back then. You know who I had Arnold's and Lovelow Garage and you know, and it's amazing how many of these bands that were before they were big came through town. So it's Grateful Dead and the Yardbirds, yeah, and the uh you know, the doors and some of these bands had these like small shows that only the college kids knew about, and they would do ride up on it and you'd say like wow. But they were at weird places like a teen center or a prom, and it's just sort of like The Grateful Dead was at this teen center. You know. It was just it was an interesting time, I think, I mean before my time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Here, but all the stuff that I've read and friends who've been there that I talked to, you know, it's memorable shows.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: The who was in there, n Wa, the Yardbirds that you were talking about, Uh, the since any summer pop festival in nineteen seventy that had the what Bob Seeger, Alice Cooper traffic, Grand Funk Railroad. Even more, it is a nice article. Thanks pop one, Yes, oh Iggy pop Yon, Jeff c since a Choir, Thank you so much for your time and for the article.
Speaker 4: Okay, oh my pleasure. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: The eighth and most notable concerts since the Some of the other notable ones Jimmy Hendrix at Xavier in sixty eight, Jackson five, they were the Gardens in seventy four. You two at Bogarts nineteen eighty one, Pink Floyd at Riverfront Coliseum in seventy seven, Black Sabbath Riverfront Stadium in seventy eight, Stones at Riverfront Stadium in eighty nine. I did get to see that when bon Jovi was at the cincinn Gardens. Check out Jeff season. This insane choir rates like the our history column every Sunday. That's good stuff. I really like it. Favorite column.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: Roberts are ABC News political analysts in Washington. Steve, let's talk about the mid term temperature check is what they're calling it this morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they are.
Speaker 5: And it's interesting because, you know, Donald Trump has said repeatedly it doesn't make sense that the president's party almost always loses seats and off your elections. In twenty of the last twenty two midterms, the president's party has lost seats. The only exceptions were nineteen ninety eight, two thousand and two after the nine to eleven tragedy. Well, the president's wrong about this. It does make sense. It does make sense. Think about this, Steve. For instance, in presidential elections, a magnetic candidate like Trump pulls in a lot of marginal voters. He was brilliant in the last election and utilizing you know, podcasts and TikTok and beyond traditional media to reach a lot of voters who don't know much about politics, don't care much about politics, seldom vote. And yet often there were younger people and he drew them in. But they're not going to vote next fall, or many of them won't vote. It's going to be a very different electorate. And that's always true. I remember two, nineteen eighty two, I covered Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 4: I was covering the Congress of the Times, and.
Speaker 5: Reagan lost twenty six seats in eighty two. He was of an extremely popular president who had won a huge landslide victory. But exactly that happened. A lot of folks who voted for Ronald Reagan in nineteen eighty It's not that they voted democratic in nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 4: They just didn't vote. They didn't bother to show up.
Speaker 5: And you know, and the second factor that we see very strongly right now, Steve, is that all presidents, all presidents make promises they simply cannot keep.
Speaker 4: And Donald Trump was classic.
Speaker 5: He's classic and over promising by saying I'm going to bring down prices.
Speaker 4: On day one.
Speaker 5: Well, it was never going to happen, and his core supporters understand that up to a point, but it inevitably it creates a certain disillusionment, a certain lack of confidence.
Speaker 4: And you look in the polls, his handling and.
Speaker 5: The economy is down to about thirty five thirty six percent. Well, he got forty nine percent of the vote a year ago, so that means about ten to fifteen percent of the country who voted for Trump has lost certain confidence in him and the Republicans because inevitably, inevitably.
Speaker 4: There's going to be a certain amount of disappointment.
Speaker 5: So there are other reasons as well, but those are the two main reasons, and they're very visible right now.
Speaker 4: So when Donald Trump says it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 5: It does make sense, and it's always made sense because these are very powerful historical trends.
Speaker 2: Is there any correlation or historical trend that who wins the midterm elections that party wins the presidential election two years later.
Speaker 4: That's a good question, and.
Speaker 5: You know the answer is no, because particularly you know, again, look at Ronald Reagan, right, yeah, he loses twenty six six in eighty two and eighty four, he wins one of the biggest victories in modern presidential history. So look, the out party can gain a certain amount of confidence, a certain amount.
Speaker 4: Of energy, but there's.
Speaker 5: No guarantee, particularly when you have a president. You now, given the fact that Trump is not going to be on the ballot again, Republicans are going to face whoever they nominate.
Speaker 4: They're going to face the problem of.
Speaker 5: How do you get those marginal Trump voters who did not necessarily interested in politics, are not necessarily strongly Republican, but they are strongly Trump their mogernation, they're red hats.
Speaker 4: How do you get them to the polls without Trump on the ballot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't help either. I think twenty five GOP incumbents have announced they're not seeking re election either.
Speaker 5: Well, that's a very good telltale sign of where politics is going, because the Republicans can talk bravely about keeping control of the House of Representatives, but it's actually is up to twenty six now, and most folks expect even more Republicans to retire. Some are running for other offices. They're running for governor, some are running for the Senate, but many are just leaving politics. And you know, it's a whole lot more fun to be a member of the House of Representatives if you're in the majority and one of the reasons and then so it's very dispositive those folks that retire. In fact, it's likely to hit a record number of retirement. And that tells you that for all of the bravado and the talk publicly about oh, we're going to keep the House and you know, no problem, privately they understand.
Speaker 4: They're political pros.
Speaker 5: They understand all of the trends I've just been talking about, and they're thinking about life in the minority under the Democrats in the House.
Speaker 4: It won't be much fun, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Steve roberts Our, ABC News political analyst Washington, thanks for report this morning.
Speaker 5: Happy New Year, Happy New New Year, Steve anytime, all.
Speaker 4: Right, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: It's eight twenty four seven hundred WLWD who Day Today report Next.
Speaker 6: Hey, it's Malwagger. Winter snow is beautiful, but it can lead to ugly injuries. It's important to remember Ortho since the orthopedic urgent Care just walk in, no appointment needed. Ortho Sincy Orthopedic Urgent Care has extended evening and Saturday hours. Learn more at or though since you with away dot.
Speaker 7: Com melting snow and refreezing ice can strain your roof. American home Tech delivers quick inspections, energy efficient upgrades, and full storm repair support, including insurance. Help protect your home through winter's worst. Book your free seasonal inspection now at americanhome Tech dot com and stay ahead of damage today.
Speaker 2: Time to talk to Deb Has over at Big Brothers Big Sisters are Greater Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning, How are you?
Speaker 8: Good morning? I was just listening to your traffic report and not let me tell you the wind is no jokes.
Speaker 2: He's right, wow, Okay, I'm gonna hit the roads here in a second. You are the PR and communications manager over there at Big Brothers Big Sisters, right, I.
Speaker 8: Am, yes, and I really appreciate you giving us a chance to kind of share a little bit about what we've been doing and what we're up doing.
Speaker 2: Twenty six Okay, So first off, startup listeners that don't know Big Brothers Big Sisters, how do you describe it?
Speaker 8: What I tell people is that what we do with match young people in the community with adult role models. So somebody wants to be a big there, a big sister, You're you're essentially you know, you're just an added layer of support for kids. For a child in the community whose parent or guardian have gotten in touch with us, just say and you know, I've got a good kid here, but you know, I see some I see some negative influences maybe something like that, or maybe they're being raised by a single parent or a grandparent who just you know, just wants an extra person in that child's life to kind of keep them on a positive path, kind of talk to them about, you know, why it's important to do well in school and help them maybe with social skills that they're lacking, things like that.
Speaker 2: Any ages that can I be too old to be a big brother or a big sister.
Speaker 8: You can never be too old to be a big brother or big sister. I was talking the other day to someone. We have a woman in Indiana she's been matched with five little sisters over decades and she's approaching eighty five, and that those kids have always been thrilled to have a mentor no matter what the age.
Speaker 2: Okay, what did you do this year? What are you doing next year?
Speaker 4: Phillis in We are.
Speaker 8: We are excited because we've got some bold goals and we so far we're reaching them. But this year we served about nine hundred and fifty kids, which is about fifty more than last year. So that was a success and our goal is to double that number within the next five years. And so you know that that takes, that takes a lot of new volunteers. That always encouraged people to just you know, google Big Brothers Big Sister at Cincinnati and you'll get to our website.
Speaker 3: You'll see a lot of stories that we.
Speaker 8: Tell as well as the commitment that we asked for, which typically we asked people to commit to a year as a volunteer Big brother or Big Sisters, understanding that life changes, people move, people have job changes, and we understand, I mean, they're not finding a piece of paper that obligates you. But we asked for that commitment because it's really good for the kids. If they are matched and then somebody decided in a month that it wasn't a good sit you know, that's that's a difficult challenge that these kids don't need.
Speaker 2: So we can also donate financially, right if we If we can't be the big brother Big Sister, we can get our checkbook out.
Speaker 8: You sure can't. And we welcome that because we do We do there's a lot of background checks. There's a lot of ongoing communication between our social workers and the matches. We don't just match to you and say go have fun. So there's a lot of communication back and forth because there can be challenges and so we want to make sure that the goals are being met. So we communicate with the big the littles, and the parent or guardian about once a month for the first year, just to make sure that everybody's on a good path and that we can we can help make suggestions that they're you know, if anything comes up that the bigs or or the or the kids have questions about. And so, like you said, we we do welcome financial donations. Obviously we rely on that to keep to keep our doors open and our life on and but also there's other things people can do. You know, if you have a if you part of a business, that we can come in and talk about what it's like to be a big brother or big sister, so we can spread the word and hopefully recruit new volunteers from a workplace.
Speaker 3: If you have a workplace where you would.
Speaker 8: Like our We have programs called beyond School Walls where we have kids that take a bus, let's say, from Newport High schools and a business and then they learn once a month. And I think the employers like that because it's great for employer retention because the people they like that the kids are coming into them and that the employees don't have to go out to the school and so just once a month and you're talking to them about what it's like to be in a workplace. We have programming that helps with financial literacy and all kinds of things, resume building, So there's allways the way. If somebody wants to get involved, you get in touch with us and we can talk it through and we can help people become involved with big brothers sisters.
Speaker 2: Do you have events that I can take my little brother little sister too, or do I have to come up with all this stuff on my own.
Speaker 8: We help a lot with that. We have a lot of suggestions about what you can do. But also we have monthly activities, and we are very fortunate that this community has rallied around us because we get a lot of tickets to all of the professional sporting events. We also have partnerships with the Cincinnati Zoo, with the Museum Center, with the Nature Center, where our bigs and littles can go free of charge. We can go with activities that there will be other matches at, or you can also go just the big and the little together. We're so grateful because those are expensive things that a lot of people wouldn't be able to do without the partnerships we have in the community.
Speaker 2: All right, deb Haas over Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Greater sinceat you guys do a great job.
Speaker 4: How do we connect with you?
Speaker 8: I would easiest thing is just to google Big Brothers Big Sister of Cincinnati. We've got thirteen county so wherever your folks are, we can match.
Speaker 3: Them up with a big brother, a big sister, or with a little brother.
Speaker 8: And little sister.
Speaker 2: All right, keep doing the good work and we'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 4: Have a great New Year.
Speaker 8: Thanks, looking forward to it, you too, Steve.
Speaker 2: All Right, it's deb Haas, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Mike Allen and for Scott Sloane next on the home of this best Bengals coverage. News Radio seven hundred WLW ramped up its attacks over the week