Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bass saying for Dodger.
Speaker 2: Talk, we're getting set for first pitch between the Dodgers and Pirates, and we're joined right now by one of the best national rioters in the country, that is USA Today's own Bob Nightingale.
Speaker 3: Bob, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate.
Speaker 4: It, my pleasure. Thanks, thanks as always, David.
Speaker 2: A little known fact, Bob Nightingale covered the Dodgers once upon a time for the La Times. What do you remember the most about your experience covering the Dodgers on a daily basis in the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 1: You know, I was actually living in northern San Diego and so traffic wasn't that bad. I went rigally with the La Times to cover the Potterres and the Angels and the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: So yeah, great time.
Speaker 1: It was a fun thing and there was nothing like Vero Beach.
Speaker 4: I still remember. It was a guy no one want to call his name. Out was suburban paper.
Speaker 1: So it was the lockout year, so it was actually a long spring evemember that the food was unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Vero Beach.
Speaker 1: You know, you're drinking every night and stuff. This guy gained forty pounds in spring training?
Speaker 3: Was that eighty one?
Speaker 4: No? No, this is a lockout for ninety four ninety five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so you were you were stuck in the lockout at Vero Beach, Florida.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: So, you know, had all the replacement players, Tommy holding court every day, and I just thought that was so cool. You know, you're doing your stories or someone asking for your what cocktail you want your dining. You know, there's Colfax in one chair, there's Drysdale. But you know, it was just a great time.
Speaker 2: The new generation only knows Eric Carrows as the broadcaster, but ninety four ninety three, when you were covering the Dodgers, Mike Piazza and Eric Carrows were the two biggest stars in LA at that time. What do you remember the most about covering Mike Piazza and Eric Carross the players with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just had how much fun they used to have. I mean, they were the Golden Boys and Memra Boys. I think they lived together at that point in Manhattan Beach.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 1: You know, remember going on the road with those guys and just it's like one big family. But yeah, tremendous guys. And then both guys were a blasphy around and it was it was it was a fun time. I mean they uh, you know, will never see those times again. Those a blast back then.
Speaker 3: Bob Night.
Speaker 2: Gail is our guest from USA today. You were with the Dodgers when they were in Arizona last week. What do you take away from your time being around the team and just the perception of the Dodgers around Major League Baseball?
Speaker 4: Just how deep they are. I mean, they've had all these injuries.
Speaker 1: You know, Lookie Betts has come back, you'll struggle a little bit.
Speaker 4: Obviously.
Speaker 1: Some guys haven't performed like they hoped. You know, they lose their snell and glass now and they don't blink. Uh, that's amazing, you know, like we talked about David, I mean, having you know, eleven twelve homegrown players is amazing and they haven't they haven't blinked. And uh, you know how many teams could survive losing this many players and you know, two fists or a starting rotation and say hey we're fine.
Speaker 4: And you know they given credit. I mean a lot of patients.
Speaker 1: I mean everbody one in Soasaki back in the minor leagues, at least in the bulletpin. They said, no, he'll be fine, He'll be fine, And sure enough, you know, he's pitching better than ever, Bob.
Speaker 2: We are witnessing maybe the greatest player of all time and maybe the greatest season of all time in show heo Tani. Is there anything more that can be added to what he's doing? Are are we failing to appreciate fully what we are watching in real time?
Speaker 1: I think we are. I mean, now we're thanking for granted, I mess them are. When he came over his first spring training, people said, oh, he's a bust, he's never going to do this, and uh, I remember covering the Dodgers with the Hideo Nomo and they said the same thing about Nomo. But just you know, uh, you know, each row a lot of times when the guy's come from Japan, it's just the first spring, it's filling out process, and the ones's lights come on, they turn it on and sure enough, I mean I was looking to fit way too much time looking up Babe Ruce best years in uh, you know, pitching and hitting, you know, and never did he win over you know, ten games and hit over twenty home runs. So we always say, oh, best player, says s Babe Ruth. Well maybe he's the best player ever, you know, and going past Babe.
Speaker 2: Rooth, Yeah, I mean, you can't even compare the talent level that Otani is facing each and every night as a hitter compared to who Babe Ruth faced as a hitter when he was playing.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and it was stunned.
Speaker 1: You know, when the game last week when he pitched against the Diamondbacks, he was on base five times. I think he was on you know, I don't remember him going the dugout maybe once. And I was talking mcguil Rojas after that game he says, I don't think he sat down the entire time, but just his energy level, I thought for sure when he was, you know, hang on the bases and having to rush in and you know, grab his glove, that wear him out.
Speaker 4: Never did.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen a player as focused and determined as Otani, not only for himself, but on nights that he pitches, it seems like he is going to wield the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: To a win. Yeah, he just saw focused. The preparation and routine.
Speaker 1: You know, I remember a couple of times the clubhouse will be empty and he's just there by himself, you know, looking at video, looking at his phone, studying things like that.
Speaker 4: But I like what Dave Roberts.
Speaker 1: Said when he says, you know, he's just so focused about not giving up a run. And I think the nationally Cy Young race, it could be the greatest nlcy Young race, or any any race for that matter. And for him to say, you know what, I can't have one bad game or I may lose this thing shot out to Misrowski or someone else in a uh and here he is, or you know Sanchez from Philadelphia, and uh, it's amazing how good this cra is. And we thought we'll never see anything like this since Bob Gibson. But this guy's put up Bob Gibson type.
Speaker 2: He ra, Hey, Bob, what would it take for Otani to get the vote over at Christopher Sanchez or Jacob Mizerowski to win the Cy Young.
Speaker 3: He's never won that award? What would it take?
Speaker 1: I think it's staggering era certainly below two, maybe below you know one six, something like that. Uh, you know, certainly blow one will do it. So he's not gonna have the innings, those two wetter guys. You know, he's, you know, gonna be on the edge of qualifying. He's got to make sure to qualify to win the ER title. And I think Dave Roberts says to be cognizant of that, to make sure he gets a horn sixty two winnings, so he qualifies.
Speaker 4: As long as he does that, you know, if he.
Speaker 1: Wins the ER Towl, particularly a low him ount, I like his chances over Misrowski, you know, and Sanchez as well, then we'll see about those guys can keep it up, you know, mis Roskiet throwing that hard, that many pitches, you know, you almost you know, parash your fingers. I got to hope this kid never gets hurt.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not out of the realm of possibility. It's not out of the question for Otani to win the cy Young and MVP, because Clayton Kershaw did that not so long ago in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely, you know, justin berlinerd did it too, and I think right now he's by far the runaway winner for the MVP.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's any many close to him.
Speaker 3: MVP wise, not even Matt Olsen.
Speaker 1: I don't, uh, you know, Matt Olson's had a great year, but still there's just a big gap between and of course the catcher ball when it was doing great too in Atlanta until he got hurt, and he'll take some boats away.
Speaker 4: But no, I think it's a big, big gap. I really do.
Speaker 3: Well. We got long ways to go between now and then.
Speaker 2: And I know we're all talking about the trade deadline, but that's not until August second, either, Bob.
Speaker 4: We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: I mean, everyone's looking at Ery schooball and everyone's going to have to rise in the Dodgers may asking Dave Roberts, what would happen if you guys signed or not signed, but you guys had traded for school ball, he goes this place with go berserk.
Speaker 4: It would baseball fians to go wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah they would.
Speaker 2: And you had a great column, two great columns last week about the Dodgers and putting into context what they've done and also oral Herscheis are still living good with that record of fifty nine consecutive scoreless innings. Bob, thanks a lot for the time, and look forward to seeing you in the postseason with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I've covered every postseason game since the COVID year of SO two thousand and one on, so look forward to it as always.
Speaker 4: David, thank you,