Speaker 1: Shannon and can't go on the play date.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know how other parents feel about this or deal with this. You guys know, I'm really protective of my kids, Lucy and Smith when it comes to sleepovers.
Speaker 3: For one, we don't even do sleepovers.
Speaker 2: Still at this point, sixth grade, second grade, we are still saying no to sleepovers. But when it comes to play dates and keV, I kind of want your opinion on this too, So Smith, excuse me. Smith's second grade. He's eight years old, and he got asked to go over to a kid in his class's house after school, like the mom had reached out to me.
Speaker 4: I do not know.
Speaker 3: I couldn't even picture who this kid is. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't recognize the name, so I didn't know who the kid is. I definitely don't know who the family is. I couldn't pick the parents out of a crowd. I know nothing about them.
Speaker 3: So I very.
Speaker 2: Politely told the mom no, we were not up for a play date.
Speaker 3: And I feel like I need at this point.
Speaker 2: And maybe it's because I have scared myself or watched too much Dateline, or just being in here and hearing news stories like I need to meet.
Speaker 3: These people a few times.
Speaker 2: First, I need to figure out where they live, what they're like, Like, I know it sounds nuts, like if they have a pool, guns is a house older? Like I just feel like that's where I am. But now I'm taking a step back and going am I being a little too overprotective? Like I don't want it to be to the point where I hinder Smith's ability to make new friends and friendships and have those experiences because I'm so terrified.
Speaker 5: I will tell you as the guy that already raised my kids and put them out there in this world. Chelsea and I look at the world right now different than we looked at it back in the day, and it probably was just as scary. But Chelsea always was if I don't have a relationship with you, I don't want my.
Speaker 3: Kids to be a few hours at your house.
Speaker 1: Over at their Yeah.
Speaker 5: And what we end up doing a lot of times was that we went to our kids went to a smaller school like it was, you know, a Catholic school where there's only like, you know, twenty five kids in the classroom or in the class So it was one of those things where you kind of knew everybody see.
Speaker 2: And that's not Smith's school, it's a big school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you gotta.
Speaker 5: I think that you got to not only just ask that question, because anybody can lie in their answers to the questions, but you got to really know.
Speaker 1: But sometimes you'll never know, I know, you know, So I.
Speaker 6: Would suggest that they do a play date at like a zav zone or something, so at that point they're in a mutual area. They can still go out and have fun. But during that time is when you can talk to the parents.
Speaker 2: I think I feel even more comfortable if I had just if I knew who the mom was. I don't even know who this person is.
Speaker 6: Like, you'll have the play date for them, but you also have your parent date as well, so you can ask those necessary questions. So at least you can just feel more comfortable to person. And then you get that bad feeling. Man.
Speaker 3: I just remember back in the day, if I asked my mom.
Speaker 2: We called them bus passes because you had you had to take like your parent note to the office and give it to the secretary and then they would give you a pass to hand to the bus driver to say, like you got to go on a different bus because you were going to somebody else's house, my mom. I don't think my mom met any of the people that I did that, Like, she was really quick to be like, oh, you want to go to you know, Jenny's house.
Speaker 7: Go.
Speaker 1: It was really trusting.
Speaker 5: And the other thing too, is that we didn't have any devices that you could, you know, watch the kids by Holly, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 8: Stay there?
Speaker 9: I just wanted to let you know, I definitely agree with Shannon when it comes to, uh, letting our kids, you know, mingle with different families. It's just kind of it's a scary world right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it always has been, Holly.
Speaker 5: We we we were raised probably in a scary world too. Our parents just didn't give a crap. But you heard some of those stories. I mean there's there were stories of something happened by a dad touching a girl or something that's one of the houses, or a brother you know, doing something they shouldn't have been doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean?
Speaker 9: Right absolutely, I think we're just more aware of everything.
Speaker 5: There's more Netflix documentaries. Yeah, what's up, Amanda?
Speaker 8: Hi?
Speaker 10: How are you guys?
Speaker 1: Hey? What's going on?
Speaker 4: Hey? I Santa and I am the exact same way. I have six kids. My youngest is only five months, my oldest is twelve. And just the other day he wanted to go to a friend's house for a half day before football practice, and I went over there first. I had to meet the parents make sure they were home. I everything, it's my kids cannot go to sleepovers. I was able to go to sleepovers, but times, I feel like times have always been scary, but I feel like it's just it's a little bit worse now. You hear a lot of scary things and you just don't.
Speaker 5: Know how did the parents take it when you went over there and started doing Actually.
Speaker 4: I had pulled up, I had my son's location, and I had Kate went over there is by the school, and I said, it's his mom there. He said, well, his grandma's here. I said, okay, well I need to meet her. And she came outside. She was very very kind. I explained to her son, you know, my kids, can I go anywhere. I usually have to know the parents. I said, but he's a little bit older, and you know, he's really close with your son. And she goes, I completely understand, and she met me and she was wonderful. So I was really appreciative and if not, then he would have been coming home with me.
Speaker 5: But how many, you know, minutes do you have to spend with somebody before you know if they're crazy?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like, I think Kev's idea of doing mutual is probably the best way. Stacy's got an idea for you, Shannon, what's your idea?
Speaker 7: Hi? Guys, By the way, I listen every day I'm on the app right now. You are my favorite. Thank you, like you like your family to me. But anyway, so my kids are older now, but I was the same way, super protective. I would always invite them over my house and it's kind of still that way.
Speaker 3: The kids all come over now.
Speaker 1: Because I've established that.
Speaker 7: But I feel like then I can kind of keep an eye on things and you can get a feel for the boys.
Speaker 5: Would any of the parents ask you questions like some people have been asking or did you have parents that would just drop the kids off and go all right, here you go?
Speaker 7: Always just drop them off? Always?
Speaker 5: We had a neighbor We had a neighbor one time that did this with us, had a little kid and we just moved into the neighborhood. We had obviously kids and the kids were their age and their kid came over to our house hung out with us. We met the parents when we are moving truck. We had moved us into the place and we'd been in for a couple of three weeks.
Speaker 1: It was a Saturday.
Speaker 5: I'll never forget it, and he came over to hang out with us. Because in the Midwest, you just go right to the back screen door and you know what I mean, in the sliding doors open. The kid came over. We're like, hey, you have to go back home. We're going to be leaving. My parents aren't home. Where are they? Mom was at the mall. The mall was thirty minutes from She used us as a babysitter. And I'll never forget that. Chelsey is like, we would never do. She had to look at me, like, you're never going to do this. But I think even you know, the smallest time knowing people like you have your you have your circle of your friends right and you know them, you can trust them.
Speaker 1: There's people, those are people that you've been sometime, but you know, you'll.
Speaker 5: Never forgive yourself if something happens right exitro what's up, Hi.
Speaker 8: Good morning, how are you beautiful people.
Speaker 1: We're great. How you doing.
Speaker 8: I'm good in traffic in fifty nine. But listen, my daughter, this is me all day.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 8: She couldn't go anywhere in elementary okay, not even family really. Then in middle school a little bit, I had to go in the house. Look who feed it, who lives there? And all that. Even as she's grown, and I'm still like that, like I think, I think with you, you know it's her.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask her how old is she?
Speaker 8: Twenty three?
Speaker 5: So she goes on a date that she meets on Tinder, I'd be more petrified over that.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, I life.
Speaker 4: And all like who the hell I mean excuse me?
Speaker 8: I mean you know I'm like that with my nieces and nephew that me and my sister and brother called me call your niece or nephews because I will even do them like that, like who is this?
Speaker 3: Send me that?
Speaker 8: I you know, it's crazy. It's not like the village we had. I'm fifty one, you know, and it was crapy, but we know the creeks and.
Speaker 1: You know who had what cousin?
Speaker 8: You know you used to anna, I mean yoho wife, like infanty night shout out, Oh my gosh. All right, y'all have.
Speaker 1: Yourself. What's up, Jane High?
Speaker 11: Okay, so everyone is a green Shannon, I don't. I feel like y'all are taking away like their core childhood memories like we got to have on them and sleepovers and everything, And it's crazy to take that away of the experience as a kid, because I feel like if you take that away now, when they grow up.
Speaker 10: Later, they're gonna go wild.
Speaker 11: They're gonna go crazy going on.
Speaker 3: No, I get it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what is the balance though, you know, keeping them safe and feeling comfortable as mom and also like giving them that that freedom.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I also think it's important to explain to them, like why you're doing it, because I think when I was growing up I heard know a lot, but never why it was a nom Well.
Speaker 5: I think you definitely got to make them aware too that if something that seems abnormal happens when you are somewhere that you and if it's not normal to you, you got to say something to me, and it may be something that's Can I.
Speaker 3: Tell you something?
Speaker 2: Lucy and I went on, I can't even remember where we were going. Her and I were going somewhere by ourselves. It might have been her girl Scout camp last year or something like that, and I had found this We were just like talking about just like different questions, different things. I'd found this list of questions to ask your daughter before she becomes a teenager.
Speaker 3: And I was like, Okay, this is a great opportunity. We're going on a road trip.
Speaker 2: And one of the things she told me about something that made her uncomfortable during a play date. She was on forever change to my mind, and it was about something I'm not going to get into it, but it was concerning the dad. It wasn't sexual in nature or anything like that. But what she told me made me go, Okay, I like really have to kind of buckle down and be way more careful here.
Speaker 3: And it was somebody I knew.
Speaker 1: Wow, so important to talk to you.
Speaker 5: Yes, Courtney has a dilemma. Your daughter's how old.
Speaker 10: Gosh, she'll be seventeen. She's sixteen right now.
Speaker 5: And she got invited to go hang out with friends, not a playdate, but.
Speaker 10: What her She got invited with her best friend's family to go to Cancun over spring break.
Speaker 1: Oh jeez.
Speaker 10: And I've always been a pretty lenient parent. I live in a very small town. We all know each other, so play dates and sleepovers have always been a pretty open thing with us. Yeah, but I'm really struggling with this decision, and I know the parent.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 6: With her being the best friend, you've obviously come in contact with the parents before. Your level of comfortability still isn't there though, to see your daughter overseas.
Speaker 5: It will, well, Mexican, I can't be honest with different country, I'd be I'd be afraid, honestly nowadays, just even going anywhere because of travel could you never know what can happen? And there have been alerts of alerts of traveling in Mexico lately. So here's my thing with that. I think if you're not going, she's not going.
Speaker 10: Maybe that's kind of.
Speaker 5: And man, you heard the story about that girl and Punta Kana that went missing. One story like that, One story like that keeps me from ever not being there for you also got to know your child though too well, he could.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that mom knew her child.
Speaker 5: They say that that kid was honestly an honorable kid who never had a boyfriend. They said the girl they went missing, and she met the kid from another school and then they went out in the water and supposedly she's gone.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know. I'd be sick as hell. You told me I could go can Coon though. By the way, by the way, uh, we got to get you a map. Shut up, Shanny. Just because you went to Boston and got you a Harvard had no mean realized