Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're getta running.
Speaker 1: Back to get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch short podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase Day.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vase with you until five o'clock today on AM five to seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers lose nine to six to the Rockies. It's the first time this season the Dodgers have lost back to back games. They're the last team in Major League Baseball to have consecutive losses this season. The Dodgers again today struggled with runners in scoring position. They were or for fourteen and so far in the first three games of this series, they are six for thirty one with runners in scoring position. That is not very Dodger like, but they in some ways let the Rockies off the hook the last two days and give the Rockies credit. I mean, they made the plays the last two nights, and they got the big hits when he counted, and no play was bigger than the last play of the game. With two on and two out, Ryan Ward at the plate, he sent a flare into a shallow right center field and Troy Johnston, the Rockies right fielder, came out of deep right field, to make a head first dive to rob Ryan Ward of what would have been a two run single that would have made this a one run game and still the Dodgers threatening to try to send this game into extra innings at the very least, But it wasn't to be. But a nice day for Ryan Ward, who made his major league debut, got the start at first base today, was two for four with an RBI. Got his first hit and first run driven in on the same play in the fourth inning. So congratulations to Ryan Ward. We'll hear from him in just a moment. But today was a very course field type day after cold, humid nights here the first two games of this series. A day game at Coursefield. The sun was out, no clouds in sight above Coursefield, and the humidity at six percent, you kind of felt like, yeah, this has the makings of a old school course field type of game, and it did fifteen combined runs thirty combined hits in a game that went over three hours. The Rockies are only averaging playing two and a half hours two thirty six this season, and today the Dodgers and Rockies played to a three hour and seven minutes a game in front of forty two thousand, six hundred and seventy seven, so a very coarse field type of day. Before we get to Edwin Diaz and Blake Trent, and let's get to Ryan Ward, who spoke to reporters in the clubhouse after today's game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I mean it was a lot of fun. I mean from start to finish. The Butterflies were there for sure to start the game. They went away though. I mean I once the game started, it was like, okay, it's just baseball.
Speaker 5: So it was a lot of fun to be out there seeing how you were able to get the results. I mean, how encouraging is that for you, just facing big league pitching and understanding where you can fit in with either this team or even at this level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I mean it's kind of it's kind of been something that especially down a triple A. Guys talked about it's a lot different up there. Everything's different up there. So like coming up here and getting swings off and seeing some results was really cool.
Speaker 3: Were just being first that no matter what.
Speaker 4: Before the game, I was told you only get one first pitch, so so remember it.
Speaker 3: So so I was ready to go for sure.
Speaker 6: Kind of a highlight for you today.
Speaker 3: A key moment I'd welcome in the big league's moment.
Speaker 4: That's probably the first hit, you know, I mean seeing everyone on the bench get excited for me, Woody over there was it was excited and just being able to take like that that deep breath. I was like, okay, like that's over with and we can move forward.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Do you have any doubts when you hit it? I did see him go up in the air and was like, oh okay, thank gosh. Yeah. And then how about that last play of the game with you Yeah, you know, I mean three one count heater in and kind of get jammed a little bit, which which shouldn't happen in that situation, but almost split in and God made a great catch.
Speaker 7: And that was that.
Speaker 3: Where's the first ball, the first hit going.
Speaker 4: In that's going back home for sure, go back home, and then when I get back, I'm sure I'll take care of where it goes after that.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Ryan Ward after going two for four within our in his first ever major league game, the twenty eight year old rookie who was the PCL Player of the Year last year for Oklahoma City. But unfortunately it comes in a loss for the Dodgers nine to six. Before we closed the book on Ryan Ward, and I see a couple of callers want to talk about it. We'll get to you. But how did Ryan Ward get called up with Freddie Freeman going on the paternity list. That's one part of the story. The other part is how did he get the start at first base with Dalton Rushing on this team. Dave Roberts I asked him before today's game how this came about, How Rushing was on the bench and Ward was starting.
Speaker 8: There was and actually I was going to start Dalton. And then I went to Dalton last night and I said, hey, I'm going to go against what we talked about and I'm going to start Ryan because and Dalton finished. My senate said, because he's earned it. And Dalton said he was going to come up to me actually and say that, you know, for go a start to let Ryan start, and that just speaks to Dalton's you know, being a teammate and getting it and so yeah, this is just the certain things you got to do that because of the right thing. And I also thinks he's he's good in this spot, but Dalk swinging a good bat. But I really wanted Ryan to get a start today.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dave Roberts sharing a really cool story that Dalton Rushing. Who you know, let's be honest, his opportunities are far and few between on this team with Will Smith catching every day basically and Freddie Freeman playing every day, and this was an opportunity for him to get a rare start at first base. It would have been his first start of the year at first base. But he said, you know what, give it to Ryan Ward. And that's pretty special and as unselfish as it gets considering the circumstances. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Rockies today, nine to six. And just a reminder, this doesn't happen very often. The last time the Dodgers lost back to back games to the Rockies was in twenty twenty two, and last year the Dodgers only lost twice to the Rockies in thirteen head to head matchups. So the Rockies are a little bit scrappier and maybe maybe a little more talented, but certainly they're up for this series and you can understand why. Let's go out to the phones for the first time. Art in Montclair. You're on Dodger Talk live from Corsfield High Art.
Speaker 9: Hey, Dave, thanks for taking my call. Just a couple quick thoughts comments for you, and I'll listen off air. Yeah, today's game was a little disappointing, but thank god, it's only April, so you know we're gonna get through our bumps. But you know, everything's good with the Dodgers.
Speaker 7: I'm glad to.
Speaker 9: See they called the rookie up. That was one of my thoughts and asking you how does that call up happen? Who makes the decision? Who makes the call down to the Triple AA manager? You know, does Doc make that part of that decision? Andrew Friedman, you know that whole decision. I'm calling up guys from the miners. You know, it was great to see and hear the story that his manager had tears in his eyes. I mean, it's just great that we're giving that rookie a chance to make his play with such great lineup that we have. I'm so happy that we're doing that for him. So I was just wondering how that call up happens. And you know, like I said, I'll listen off air. So thanks thanks for taking my call, Dave. Keep up the great work.
Speaker 3: Okay, Art, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Well, first and foremost, this all started during the off season where the Dodgers had to either cut ties at Ryan Ward by non tendering him or putting him on the forty man roster, and certainly, with the season he had last year, they added him to the forty man roster. Now fast forward to Freddie Freeman needing to go on the paternity list. Well, you're not going to add somebody just for three days and put them on the forty man roster. Ryan Ward made sense because he was on the forty man roster, and that decision is made by Andrew Friedman and Branding Gomes. I'm sure Branding Gomes made the call to the Triple A manager and let them know Hey, we're calling up Ryan Ward. And that's where the Triple A manager Scott Hennessy pulled Ward off the on deck circle yesterday or the day before yesterday and let him know, Hey, you're going to the big leagues for the first time in your career. So that decision is made by the President of Baseball Operations, and that is Andrew Friedman and his GM branding Gomes. Let's go out to Pasadena. David, you're on Dodgery Talk. How you doing, David.
Speaker 7: I'm doing great. Hi, David, how you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well.
Speaker 7: Thank you listening good man, listening to you for a long time. I'm in my sixties, sixties, so I've been a Dodger fan all my life, and I wanted to talk about Ryan Ward. And some of my feelings were what Art said preceding me, so to be efficient about my call here. You know, it was heartwarming. I love an underdog. It was great to see the appearance, interviewed, all that stuff. It feels good. This kid clearly is a major league player. I mean he looks like a major leaguer, he feels like a major leaguer. He is ready to play on some team. So my question to you is like, there's nowhere for him to fit in long term, Freddie's not going anywhere. Ryan A. Dalton tremendous hitting this and he's had what fifteen at bats he said, five dingers. Unbelievable batting five hundred. Happy for Dalton. So does this maybe build wards stock in terms of the league seeing him at the major leage level, and maybe the Dodgers would give him the gift of a trade so that he could start on another team's question.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, two things, David, How does he fit in?
Speaker 2: As you know, the Dodgers use the entire forty man roster during the season, so in a situation like this, they needed him, so he is needed. It's not like they don't need him. They needed him to fill a spot here, even in the short term. And if there's another injury down the road, certainly he would be considered. But the reality is Ryan Ward's defense is not great. We saw it in spring training and that was part of the debate last year when Michael Confordo was struggling. Are they going to get even better defense than Confordo? Offensively? Still a flip of the coin, and the answer is no, He's not that good defensively, as scouts like to say. He's below average defensively in the outfield and that's why he got the started first base and not in a big left field today. And now, as far as gifting him a trade, I could tell you that if the Dodgers non tendered him, I know for certain at least two teams that would have scooped him up would have fought to scoop him up and maybe make Ryan Ward a DH. So look, he can hit teams with lesser talent than the Dodgers believe he can hit and have a spot as a DH on their team. But the Dodgers are not just giving away the PCL Player of the year, even though you know they have a lot of talent. So if there's a need at the trade deadline and a team is asking about Ryan Ward, Am I saying that he's untouchable. Absolutely not. But the Dodgers prove that they're not just giving him away.
Speaker 7: Okay, thank you. That makes sense. As he's approaching thirty years old, it'd be great to see him have a full career. He you know, it looks like he's earned it for sure, But I understand your analysis makes total sense.
Speaker 2: All right, David, thanks for the phone call. Appreciate it. Eight sixty six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Rockies today, nine to six on a very special day. Fans have been clamoring for Ryan Ward. Tim Neverett's been clamoring for Ryan Ward, and here he was today making his major league debut two for four with an RBI in the fourth inning, and had a chance to get the Dodgers even closer in the ninth inning if not for a great play by Troy Johnston. And speaking of the Rockies, they did hit two home runs today. Mickey Moniak hit a two run home run off of Blake trine In. But also Kyle Carros, the son of the all time LA Dodger home run leader Eric Carros, hit a home run leading off the fifth inning, and I wanted to celebrate a kid that's a local from Manhattan Beach and his dad means so much to the Dodgers. So here it was Kyle Carros in the fifth inning off of Rokie Sasaki.
Speaker 10: Who's a pitch swung on well hit deep to left. Carross has hit it out. Kyle Carroll's when his second career home run against the Dodgers makes it a one run ball game at three to two. He got a fastball of the inner half and turned on it and hits his first home run of the Cason.
Speaker 2: Ninety six fastball by Roki Sasaki and Kyle carrols now has two career home runs. They're both against the Dodgers, his dad's former team. So great to see Kyle Carross have some success today, even at the expense of the Dodgers. And that was a no doubter four hundred and forty eight feet to left field by Kyle Carros eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Blake. Who is that course field today?
Speaker 3: Hi? Blake, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: Hi David that say? Do you remember me from last year?
Speaker 3: How could I forget Blake? How you doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Geez, yeah, I was on TV? And hold on. And the coolest part about this weekend was to talk to get to talk to Alex Vesia. I give Alex Vesia two autism blacelet and one for him and one full not go Hernandez the key because he has autism. Here, I give him a yellow blacelet, and it was so awesome. I love to talk to Alex. We have kept we kept no Alex fo. We know for Alex for a very long time. We know him on Instagram. I have his Instagram info. I talk to him every time I go to the games with when the DoD did play and all go to my vacations.
Speaker 3: Oh that's awesome, Blake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gave bracelets to two great guys there, Alex Vessia and Taoscar her Andez who told us here on AM five to seventy LA Sports that he's wearing a gear to honor those that are dealing with autism. So I'm sure that bracelet meant a lot to him. Are you coming back tomorrow, Blake here coming back to the game tomorrow?
Speaker 6: No, but I went Friday and Saturday.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm glad you got to see your Dodgers play. Should be another fun season. Don't be a stranger. Okay, okay, okay, Blake, thanks a lot for calling in. Appreciate it. That's so cool that you gave ta Oscar and Alex Vessio those special bracelets. I'm sure they'll wear them again tomorrow. All right, We're gonna take our first time out here on Dodger Talk when we continue more of your phone calls at eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two, five seventy, and we'll get to the Dodger bullpen, which was a little shaky today as Blake Trening and Edwin Diaz each gave up three runs as the Dodgers fall to the Rockies nine to six on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five to seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David.
Speaker 2: Basse no highlight. Rockies beat the Dodgers today nine to six. The Dodgers fall for the first time in back to back games. They're the last team in Major League Baseball to lose back to back games, and the Rockies have matched their win total against the Dodgers from a year ago. That's right, the Dodgers only lost twice to the Rockies last year in thirteen head to head meetings. Today, the Rockies beat the Dodgers nine to six. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card. Visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot com, use the keyword home run and to your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers owned the dream. But if you work for the team, you are not eligible, so stay away. Anyway, I am going to preface all this because I said this a few times.
Speaker 3: Today was a typical course field day.
Speaker 2: Day game, no humidity, six percent humidity, and you had two starting pitchers that, to put it kindly, struggle to find the strike zone and they weren't long for this game. But this game lasted three hours and seven minutes, typical course field game. This game had to combine fifteen runs, combined thirty hits. So let's just preface what I'm saying with all that. But Blake Trinin did not look very good. In the seventh inning, he could not get an out. He gave up a two run home run a Mickey Moniac. He came, he gave up a double the Hunter Goodman and then a single to Tyler Freeman. That's Dave Roberts took him out of the game. He was charged with three runs and then in the eighth inning, Edwin Diaz came into the game had not pitched in nine days because of a mysterious injury that we found out to be his knee that he injured in the World Baseball Classic a few years back. Today he came in not sure if it was rust or if it was the course field conditions, but he also was charged with three runs and couldn't finish the inning. A little concerning because that's back to back outings by Edwin Diaz where he has not looked Edwin Diaz like, let's head downstairs right now to the manager's office to hear what Dave Roberts had to say about Diaz is outing. Should there be cause for concern that whatever lingering inner injury affected him today?
Speaker 8: Obviously he hasn't pitched in eight days, so there, I'm certain there's some rust to that again, the non safe situation, But talking to him today, he wanted to pitch regardless, and so I think it's just one of those things, and hopefully it's, you know, one of those things that he just hadn't.
Speaker 5: Pitched in a wall, especially that he's pushed past some of the stuff he's been working for at this point.
Speaker 8: You know, I think for us, it's just going on what the training staff and the player tells me. You know, you got to trust him and believe that they feel good, and a veteran player like him and no one should know his body better than he does. But obviously today it just didn't look sharp.
Speaker 4: Harder to trust vision you see like a ninety three up there at one point, or how do you evaluate what you saw today?
Speaker 1: Had given those caveats.
Speaker 8: Today Today was a tough evaluation. I mean it really was, because you know, I know what it's supposed to look like, and you know, and then when it doesn't look like that, it gets a little concerning, really, And so I'll have a conversation with him, I know our training staff and pitching guys will and make sure that there is nothing to it, because you know, the radar gun has been consistent and his velocity been consistent, and it wasn't there today, So we got to kind of I gotta know more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Well, Dave Roberts certainly not putting any of those doubts that I had to rest about. As far as Edwin Diaz and how he's feeling physically after what we saw in the eighth inning, and the fact that he has not pitched in a game in the last nine days. In fact, the only time he's really got off the mound was you know, throwing for trainers and coaches at Dodger Stadium in the bullpen. And we just haven't seen him look like Edwin Diaz. So there's gotta be some cause for concern because that ninety five fastball look very straight, the slider looked very flat. And certainly the altitude plays a factor in all that. And look, any little nagging thing you have, whether it's a knee, whether it's a shoulder, whether it's an ankle, whether you stub your toe on your bed at night like I did, it's gonna accentuate here at the court at course Field in the mile High You know, I remember years ago when JP Howe was on team, he would have to go to the oxygen tank in the dugout because he couldn't breathe. I actually had to do that in my hotel room. They actually have this in front of the nuts and the drinks in your room. They actually have a canister for oxygen. The first night here that when I woke up the second day, I was a little out of breath. I had to crack open that oxygen tank.
Speaker 3: And sorry to H.
Speaker 2: Brian Long, our program director, but there's gonna be an extra incidental charge on my bill when we come back from Corsefield because I was a little out of breath, the oxygen, the altitude got to me. So you know, things could happen here. But the point being in all seriousness, is Edwin Diaz hasn't pitched in nine days for some reason physically, and the first time he's gonna pitch in nine days is at course Field. That's not that's not ideal. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number the Dodgers fall to the Rockies today, nine to six, on a day that saw sho he O Tani extend is on bas streak to fifty one consecutive games. And I do have corrections and retractions from last night's show because I asked the question. I posed the question, why does an on bass streak carry over from the previous season? When a hitting streak doesn't carry over from a previous season, Well, corrections and retractions breaking news hitting streaks do carry over to the next season. There was an instance about fifteen sixteen, twenty years ago, where Jimmy Rawlins on the Phillies extended his hitting streak into the following season, and there was a lot of eyebrows raised because Joe DiMaggio's record setting fifty six game hitting streak came in one year. So Otani's on Bass streak, which you know, it's a nice streak, and look, not a lot of guys have a streak of getting on base and fifty one consecutive games, but it did carry over from the previous season, and so do hitting streaks. So Otani today, with two doubles, extended his on Bay streak to fifty one consecutive games. And Sean Green should be a little nervous because he is second in Dodger franchise record as far as getting on base in fifty three consecutive games. So Otani's taking away all of Sean Green's records, the most home runs hit in one single season, and now he's gonna take away Sean Green's consecutive on Bay streak. So Sean Green, you know, living there in his cushy life in Newport Beach, on the beach, you know, I don't know if he's concerned over there in Laguna Beach about all this happening. But Sean Green, Otani's knocking on the door. He's only two games away from reaching base, to tying you in three from passing you. And Duke Snyder, the Duke of Flashbook Flash flat Bush got on base in fifty eight consecutive games. So o'tani is getting closer to two Dodgers that, in their own right have a place in Dodger history. You know, when I see Eric Carros, who his son hit a home run today, I tell him, now, with Munsey getting closer and closer to his home run record in La Dodger history, when I see Caros in the booth, I tell him, oh, your record's safe for tonight. But really, how's Eric Carro's gonna deal with life when Max Munsey passes him and then sho heo Tani passes him? All his claim to fame to be is going to be the nineteen ninety two National League.
Speaker 3: Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 2: That's all he'll have once those two guys pass him. Just a fair warning out there to Sean Green and Eric Carrows. And by the way, Caros, who I joke with him, is a very huge helicopter father on his son Kyle and his son. Jared watches every single at that of his son Kyle, except for the first two. Today, he texts me he was in church when Caro's younger Carros hit his home run, So maybe his dad should go to church more and maybe his son will hit more home runs. Eight six, six ninety eight seven two five seventy Dodgers beat the Rockies. I'm sure Eric's driving off his beach cruisers somewhere on the strand in Manhattan Beach hearing that part. Before we wrap things up here, I want to bring this up. I brought up Otani for a reason because failed GM. Jim Bowden tweeted this out earlier today, and I appreciate.
Speaker 3: This because it gave me something.
Speaker 2: To talk about on a day where the Dodgers still have baseball's best record.
Speaker 3: They lost a game in April to the Rockies.
Speaker 2: But Jim Bowden, out of nowhere comes up with this tweet, and I'm sure he mentioned it on his satellite show, and he said it's time for Major League Baseball to revisit one aspect of the Otani rule and to eradicate the exemption the Dodgers have to carry, in his words, an extra pitcher. I'm okay with allowing him to DH when he pitches and remain in the game, but roster advantage is not fair in my opinion.
Speaker 3: And that was his tweet.
Speaker 2: Well, that doesn't make a lot of sense because number one, the day that he pitches, what are you gonna do activate your thirteenth pitcher. He's in his own category. He's the DH and he's a pitcher for the Dodgers, So you can't just eradicate what he's doing. And why now because he's on the Dodgers all of a sudden, he wants to eradicate this so called Otani rule. It's an advantage to any team that has Otani on their team to carry thirteen pitchers. So what are you gonna do. You're gonna shuttle around a thirteenth pitcher to be activated the day that Otani's not pitching, Because when he's the DH and he's not pitching, are you telling me the Dodgers should only be allowed to have twelve active pitchers. You're telling me they should go a picture short when Otani is not pitching. That just you know, it seems like a hot take tweet, and people like me love it because we could talk about it, but it doesn't make sense and it's not realistic, and that's why there is a rule for it. And the other part of the equation is why now because he's on the Dodgers. If he was still on the Angels, I'm sure nobody would have any issue with the Angels carrying a thirteenth pitcher. So that's just not to me something that's realistic, because what are you gonna do taxi a thirteenth pitcher on the days that Otani's not pitching. That's just part of the equation and a huge advantage to have the most unique player in the game on your team, not to mention the best player in baseball. So we'll leave it at that, and that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk. Coming up tomorrow, the final game of this four game series between the Dodgers and Rockies, Justin Robleski will be on the mound for the Dodgers. Coming off his best start as a professional, eight scoreless against the Mets. He's going up against journeyman Jose Kntana. The former White Sox is zero to one and two starts with an ERA of five sixty three. Our coverage begins tomorrow at four point thirty with first pitch at five forty, and we'll see what answers Dave Roberts has tomorrow in regards to his closer Edwin Diaz, because he made it sound like he has to have a more of a conversation with Edwin Diaz about how he's feeling after today's eighth inning, and rightfully so, before the game, Dave Roberts said that Edwin Diaz needs to be a little bit more honest with his communication just to make sure they can manage him for the full season, because that's what it's about for the Dodgers. It's not just about April, June or July whatever may be going on with Diaz or any other player. The Dodgers want to handle it in the right way so they're pitching and their their healthiest in October. So we'll see where things lead tomorrow with Edwin Diaz and the Dodgers. Like I said, tomorrow, our cover which begins at four thirty, first pitch at five point forty from Corsefield with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett. Thanks to Colin me back at our burd Banks Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Corsfield, and thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 3: In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it. Download the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: That's where you can hear our pregame conversation with Kyle Hurt and also Ryan Ward. Ryan Ward Day here at Corsfield. Everybody was excited. He had twenty family and friends, some marching in Chowder. Society for Ryan Ward was out in full force today. He gets two hits and an RBI in his major league debut, but the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Fall to the Rockies nine to six.
Speaker 2: Coming up next Fox Sports Radio, we'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 9: SI.
Speaker 3: You just start