Speaker 1: And now, an exclusive interview with David Basset for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: All right, we're joined right now by one of my favorite lefties. Too many lefties to count on the Dodgers, but he's a good guy, and all he has done since joining the Dodgers is win, and that is the one and only Eric Lauer. Thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Hey, we like to have fun around here, Lauer. I mean, your trainers like to have fun with you. It seems like you're really one of the guys now.
Speaker 1: It feels like it. It's nice when you can start having inside jokes with people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you were in the weight room earlier today, and then you went out and you joined the bullpen today. Was that weird?
Speaker 1: A little bit, but not really. I tend to throw with those guys quite often.
Speaker 2: So you were already keeping one foot in with the relievers and one foot in with your own starting routine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. I like to, you know, be a jack of all trades, a little Swiss Army knife. So I got to stay close to all the guys.
Speaker 2: Was that always the case when you first got here, or is that something that you felt?
Speaker 1: I think it's just kind of part of my routine. It just kind of lines up the same way, so I was like, why change it now? Just let it ride.
Speaker 2: Who is your guy that you play catch with?
Speaker 1: It's usually one of the bullpen catchers. I'm not to the point where I have a designated bullpen guy that throws with me. They're pretty stocked up already.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to know. It always says a lot about somebody. who their catch partner is, don't you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. It's all based on who you choose. I feel like a lot of times lefties will throw with lefties, and, you know, we got a few of them, but they seem to want to either throw with each other or throw with a bullpen catcher, so I'll do the same.
Speaker 2: Are you a big believer that lefties are a little bit different?
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah. Oh, yeah. I mean, it's a completely different brain.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it is. All right, another lefty was in the broadcast booth yesterday. I'm going to run something by you that Clayton Kershaw said in his analysis role. He said he learned from Greg Maddox when he was a rookie. Greg Maddox, who obviously had a lot of success here with the Braves, told him whatever pitch that you're thinking about throwing 2-2, you better have the conviction to want to throw it in a full count. Do you live by that?
Speaker 1: That's actually kind of funny because that was the exact quote that my college pitching coach would use all the time. Wow. It was like, Once you get to 2-2, you throw your best pitch, whatever you're comfortable throwing 2-2, you better be comfortable throwing 3-2.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like he got that from Maddox?
Speaker 1: There's a good possibility. He actually might have played around the same time as Maddox. He probably got it either from him or Maddox got it from Berkey. I don't know which way it went.
Speaker 2: In your mind's eye, can you think of that situation on the mound, maybe as recently as your last start, where you're 2-2 against a hitter and you're thinking, should I throw this pitch? And then does that ever click in the back of your mind?
Speaker 1: It's usually when I get to 2-2, it's usually kind of one of the first thoughts that goes through my mind is like, all right, what am I going to throw here? What do I think is going to be the right pitch? For me, it's not always the same pitch, which generally it's your out pitch. So you have to be able to throw. Basically the saying means you have to be able to throw your out pitch for a ball and for a strike. So... For me, I don't have a definite out pitch, so it's whatever the situation kind of calls for for me. So it changes from count to count, but generally if I throw it and miss and I like it or I see how he took it, I'll throw it again or I'll audible off of that based on either how they take it, how they swing and foul it off, whatever that might happen. It kind of changes the next pitch regardless.
Speaker 2: Are you at the point of your career where you can read swings and that will tell you what you need to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. I think that's kind of, that's always kind of been my, what I like to do more than, you know, scouting reports and numbers and stuff. Like I'll look at them, but for me, it's more, I treat the game as a living thing and it's like constantly changing, constantly evolving, you know, guys numbers historically could glean one direction, but To me, that means if a guy's not good at hitting sliders, then what's he probably working on? Because if we know it, they probably know it. So I look at the numbers, but I don't go too heavily off the numbers simply for the fact of guys are constantly getting better, changing, working on things. So you never know what's going to get them that day. And you have to be able to read swings, see where they're at in the box, see where they have their hands, you know, Think about the situation, what they're trying to do, what inning, how many outs, where we're at in the game. It all plays into the pitch selection.
Speaker 2: Eric Lauer has been a successful pitcher for a long time in Major League Baseball. But what do you believe has been the biggest key to you not only being effective, but also, I mean, like I said, the Dodgers have only lost twice when Eric Lauer's been on the mound this year.
Speaker 1: It's true. I actually think it's only once.
Speaker 2: Oh, once. I apologize.
Speaker 1: It's fine. No, it's fine. Oh, man.
Speaker 2: Awkward, awkward moment right here.
Speaker 1: No, it's all right. I think for me, a lot of it has to do with just being in the zone, like making sure that I'm not being too picky on the corners, making sure that I'm reaching for lanes but not trying to be too fine with things early, and then... Just being able to adapt to the game, being able to change my rhythm, change what I'm throwing when, and find a way to get through things. I think it's a lot of kind of flying by the seat of our pants when I'm out there. Like I said, it's a constantly evolving thing, so you have to be able to constantly adjust and be able to be mendable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the Lauer language, the language of Lauer, you told me was a big part of all this too.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah. Oh, yeah. It's a lot more comforting when, you know, you can have the conversation in your own words that you want to have with somebody and have them, you know, understand it and, like, level with you and say what they understand from what you're saying and based off what they want to see or what they think they should see or change a thought that you might have. I think it's all good just to, like, continue to grow, really.
Speaker 2: Eric Lauer is our guest, a proud Dodger. He's still here, and he's still winning. And on Sunday, he's going to pitch. No matter Otani opening or not, you're pitching Sunday out of the bullpen. How does your week, you know, really translate? Hey, there's your guy. There's your piggyback partner right there. There he goes, getting ready. How do you prepare for Sunday now?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. I don't know if that's necessarily true anymore. I think there might be a little change in plans for me. So I think at this point, I'm trying to get ready for today. And then, you know, after that, we'll see what happens. So it's kind of it's kind of it's a very fluid situation right now.
Speaker 2: So there's a chance you may start that game on Sunday.
Speaker 1: There's a chance I may throw in that game. There's a chance I might not throw in that game. There's a chance it might be a different game. There's a chance it might be today. There's a lot of different things that are moving around just because, you know, with the schedule and, you know, the off days we got coming up and the off days we had and moving forward, the lack of off days we might have, you know, it all kind of changes. And we have so many opportunities. We have so many good rotation arms that there's obviously guys who have precedence based on history and contracts and whatnot. I'm kind of in a very fluid role right now until we kind of settle into what we're going to do moving forward.
Speaker 2: I know you talked about how great the Dodgers are at communicating what they need from you on any given start, week, or day. So how has the line of communication been right now? Because you're throwing me for a loop right now, Lauer. I thought I had Sunday figured out. I thought I had the week figured out. How is it working for you if I'm thrown off?
Speaker 1: It's still pretty good. It's still, you know, it's still to the point where I have a really good idea of what I'm preparing for and, like, what I'm going to be using and how I'm going to be used. So, I mean, as long as we continue to have, you know, daily, hourly conversations, then I think we can all be as prepared as we possibly can whenever we go in there.
Speaker 2: All right, Lauer. So you don't want to give me a little bit more clarity to share with the fans.
Speaker 1: I've given you everything that I know.
Speaker 2: I feel weird now talking to you, Lauer. You might pitch tonight. Now, you know, I feel like.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, you're going to get in trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're going to blame me. You're going to point the finger at me, Lauer. But when you go out there and shove tonight, Don't forget me either.
Speaker 1: Okay, then I'll give you a nice shout-out for helping me out. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. You don't even know what I do. I had to explain what I do.
Speaker 1: No, you hold a microphone and you talk.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's all I do.
Speaker 1: Sometimes in provocative situations.
Speaker 2: Always that way. Always that way. Lauer, thanks a lot for the time. Don't reveal all my secrets either. I won't give away yours. You don't give away mine.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, deal.
Speaker 2: You ever listen to Dodger Talk on the iHeartRadio app, Lauer?
Speaker 1: I don't have the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe you'll download it right now.
Speaker 1: I will. Maybe I will to hear this. I can't see it, but I'll hear it.
Speaker 2: Okay. Thanks a lot for the time. And seriously, it's been a real pleasure being around you. Heard so much about you, but now being in the orbit of Eric Lauer has been fun. I'm trying to learn the language of Lauer. I feel like I'm starting to connect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're starting to get there. I like it. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Eric Lauer, he'll understand this language. He'll receive a gift card to Capital Grill in Burbank, an upscale, relaxed spot with a great bar, great steaks. Capital Grill in Burbank and all over America. Thanks a lot for the time, Lauer. Enjoy.
Speaker 1: You got it. Thank you.