Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: When the Orioles are back at Dodgers Stadium, it's hard not to remember nineteen sixty six in the World Series, the Baltimore Orioles sweeping Sandy Cofax, Don Drysdale, Morey Will's and the Dodgers, and a twenty year old right hander that would eventually find himself in the Hall of Fame pitched a complete game shutout in Game two of the World Series, outdueling his hero Sandy Cofax, and that is the one and only Hall of Famer Jim Palmer. Jim, thanks a lot for the time appreciating.
Speaker 1: Well, you're welcome. Well, let's get something straight. That's a long time ago. That's what sixty two years ago. I was twenty, Sandy was thirty. I didn't now duel him. You know, he threw I think twenty three of the first twenty seven pitches for strikes. It was nothing, nothing going into the fifth inning, and we had two routine five walls to center field. And well, I mean, like today it's bright, it was kind of you know, you know how la can be a little bit. I was slightly overcast, but Sonny and he just dropped him. And then after the whole world because it was the World Series, knew that he couldn't catch a fly ball, he picked it up and threw in the dugout. So we ended up winning six to nothing. And I tell people all the time, because you know, I grew up in New York, I was you know, I was adopted. I was a Yankee fan. But when I moved to California, obviously you're you're a Dodger fan. I used to go to the Coliseum when I went to high school. I moved over to Arizona and went to high school in Arizona, and the Dodgers actually brought me over. They wanted me to go to SC for a year, and I went to Rod Dato's backyard barbecue.
Speaker 3: He was coaching at SC. They wanted me to go there for a year.
Speaker 1: They signed Jeff Torborg instead of me in nineteen sixty four, and as it turned out, I said, well, you can't give me a contract.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, we can't do that.
Speaker 1: So I ended up signing with the Oils, and so then we arrived at the World Series, and of course the Dodgers, and you know, they beat the Twins at sixty.
Speaker 3: Five, beat the Yankees in sixty three.
Speaker 1: They were all about you know, basically Drysdale and Kofax. And you also had Mari Willis who had stolen one hundred bases. Tommy Davis, who would eventually play with US, is one of the I mean, if you go back and look before he broke his ankle, I mean what he hit three forty and hit I mean, you know, he could outrun everybody on the team except Willie Davis. So but they didn't have a great, you know, a great offensive team. And but for us, you know, I'm watching Drysdale Cofex didn't pits the first game because of the Jewish holidays, so Don started, and Brooks and Frank Robinson hit home runs in the first inning, and I go, wait a minute, maybe we haven't actually have a chance to be competitive in this World Series. Dave McNally started for US. He's I had won fifteen games that Mack had won thirteen. But he was a couple of years older, so I think they wanted more experience. Plus he was left hand and had a great pickoff move. And the Dodgers, you know, they they they beat you by one run because of Kovax Drysdale and their speed. So I ma Jabowski came in in relief and struck out eleven Dodgers in six and two thirds innings. And I'm you know, at twenty I'm sitting there and I'm going all I want to do tomorrow is not embarrassed myself because I was pitching against Kofax. I mean, I knew how good Sandy was, and I you know, I mean he turned out it was his last year at age thirty because of Elbro problems. He was like twenty seven and nine with a one seventy some me or a with three hundred innings and three hundred strikeouts.
Speaker 3: I mean, he was Sandy Kofax.
Speaker 1: And I just went out there and Willie Davis helped me win. And I always tell people, I wonder what have been late to try to beat Cofax nothing and nothing in the seventh inning because I had never pitched a shutout in the major leagues before.
Speaker 3: So again set to set the record straight.
Speaker 1: The Kofax pitched very well. Sandy pitch gray and he was one of the you know, one of the one of the one of the greatest pitchers ever. And I tell people about hitting off them. And you know everybody talks about tunneling now, where you throw pitches out of the same tunnel, the same release point. I was on deck and Andy Etchebarn thought about swinging at three high fastballs, but he couldn't get the bat going, and I could hit a little bit of one of my first game in the big leagues with a home run off at Jim out and then he throws me the first fastball and it exploded. It was like fastball came up to home, played in the lobby and ended up in the upper mess as an aid. So I said, but you know, I use Frank Robinson's our sixty one. So I said, I better choke up a little bit. He threw me to exactly the same pitch, except it was his curveball, and it ended up in the lower basement. And I'm going now I understand why Sandy Kofax is Sandy Kovax.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Jim Palmer is our guest. And when you look out, I know there's been some remodel to Dodger Stadium, but it's essentially the same field when you look out from your vantage point here in the Orioles broadcast booth. Can you visualize those moments? Can you visualize twenty year old Jim Palmer out there?
Speaker 3: Well, that's a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Like I said, but you know, Tradri Gibson is pitch a young, you know, rookie pitcher, and you sitting behind me on the bus coming out to what do we call this now? Dodger I mean I call it Dodger Stadium vs. Ravine, whatever you want.
Speaker 3: To call it.
Speaker 1: And I said, he took his headsets off. I said, Trey, you kind of might might as well do is what I did when I was twenty, you know, puts your first shutout, ever goes. This is only going to be his fifth start in the big leagues, not as much pressure because it's not a World Series. So what do you think he said, geez, it sounds like a good idea. Accept The difference now is he averages seventeen pitches per ending. But just imagine he averaged fifteen. If you do the math, nine times fifteen is what one hundred and thirty five. They don't let pitchers throw one hundred and thirty five pitches. And you know my first start that same year was up in Fenway. I hit a home run, strike out, eleven, walk seven. I only had two starts in spring training and everybody got hurt, and I threw one hundred and seventy seven pitches. And they asked our pitching coach, Harry the Kaperkinaho was a great left handed pitcher for the Cardinals, who was our pitchy coach in Baltimore, and he said, he said, that's a lot of pitches. He said, yeah, we want to get that pitch count down into the one forties. And that's what they allowed you to do. So the game's evolved, you know obviously, as you know you cover the Dodgers. You know now and after winning two consecutive World Series, if you don't have a good bullpen, you're not going into September and October in the postseason and have a chance to win. So the game has evolved, and that's just the way it is.
Speaker 2: Since I have one of the greatest right handers of all time with us, three times cy Young Award winner, a man that's in the Hall of Fame. What about Otani and what he's doing. I would love to hear from you what you think about what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's funny last year or two years ago, when you know what, he stole fifty nine and hit fifty four home runs. So only time that's ever happened, you would have said he's a better hitter than a pitcher. Now and last year he probably would have said the same thing. Now you're saying, boys, he's really good at both of those things. You know, it was interesting when he was with the Angels, Mike Soshi was managing and I Sosia actually hit off me and we were talking one day and he said, you know, he reminds me a little bit of you, and I said, well, thank you, that's kind of that's an ultimate compliment.
Speaker 3: I said.
Speaker 1: The difference is I didn't stand on the third base side of the rubber, and that's where show he used to stand. Now he's in the middle and you stand. You know, you had to understand the pitching rubber is twenty four inches homeplate seventeen inches, So if you're standing on the right hand side of it, third base side, you're already three four inches off the inside corner, and you're throwing one hundred miles per hour and trying to hit the outside corner. You know what kind of stress that puts on your arm made some more sense to the to my ear, where you stand in the middle and if you want to go inside to a righty or you know, a way to a left, he just take your shoulder about an inch and you have a direct line. So he's made that change. Of course, he's you know, had a couple of elbow operations. But he's a unit.
Speaker 3: We all know. He's a unicorn.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's the maybe the best player that ever played that you know, from a dual standpoint, I hear that Babe Ruth was really good. He had a long time record for pitching in the shutout. But yeah, I mean Joey and just to listen, it's guys like him, I mean all the great players. It's you know, the Freddie Freddie Freeman's of the world. Has just got his twenty five hundred hit and it's hitting three thirty three with runners and scoring position for his career, which is an unbelievable number.
Speaker 3: That's what baseball is about. I don't care if you're a Dodger fan or whatever.
Speaker 1: These guys now, because of interleague play, get to come to Baltimore every other year or vice versa. You get to see the greatest players in stadiums around the world, and that's what keeps baseball alive. And when you get somebody like him, and I actually read I was reading on an article yesterday about the Uttardo method, which is when he was a kid, there was a teacher, I think maybe a teacher and junior high school in Japan that said, you need to have a focus in He gave them this plan of having sixty four things to improve yourself and get.
Speaker 3: Better and whatever.
Speaker 1: And obviously that Hutardo plan or a Rotto her h A R A d A Plan worked pretty well for Showy because and again he started when he was probably twelve thirteen years old, and we all started. I started in you know, in Whittier. I played in the Golden State League when I was ten, and then went to Beverly Hills and played Little League and Pony League, Babe Ruth League out in Arizona and all that.
Speaker 3: So we all start.
Speaker 1: But it seems like he had a pretty good plan early and he's he's really been able to accomplish that because it's it's kind of all, you know, we all can set goals, but how do we get to the goals?
Speaker 3: We want to arrive at I.
Speaker 2: Would say, Jim Palmer, he had a pretty good plan. He's in the Hall of Fame, one of the greatest right handers, a lifetime era under three Jim special to be here, special to share you with Dodger fans that remember the sixty six World Series, and obviously fans that even didn't see it know how great you were. So thank you for the time, really appreciating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and maybe they could give me a clue. As Vinny used to always.
Speaker 1: Say, late arriving, early departying, how do you get out of the parking lot here?
Speaker 3: You didn't have to worry about that, Jim, Well, not back then.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 3: Oh you're welcome. My pleasure.