Speaker 1: All right, let's head to Kansas City where it's day two of Big twelve basketball media day. Yesterday the women, today the men. My next guest is all over it, on the scene and covering it all for the Inquirer Cincinnai dot Com. Always a pleasure to welcome in, Scott Springer. How is Kansas City?
Speaker 2: Wonderful? The sun's out, it's maybe about seventy was thirty nine this morning, So a brisk walk over to the T Mobile Center. But I just walked back and very pleasant now. But I had to walk back because they're dismantling the place because somebody named Kat Williams and then maybe Tate McCrae. I don't know. These people are coming to the T Mobile Center and they didn't want me there. They had things to do.
Speaker 1: Understood, understood, Yes, Uh.
Speaker 2: We finished up. Yeah, good eventful day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Let's talk about this Bearcat team. And West has always been an intense guy himself. I was struck by I heard him use the term competitive edge about his guys a couple of times today. That seems like an important part of the DNA. He likes about this basketball team, the edge they can play with.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's one of the reasons he recruited the kerkkrisa who comes with a lot of edge. And there's a dude you got to get on the radio. That guy's funny from Estonia, a great personality and a little bit of news today. Maybe there's a chance he could have. How about this Welcome to the New Era a seventh year possibility. Yeah, so he's played five, this is six, and there may be seven though. I don't know the loophole, but it has to do something with his freshman year at Arizona, which was the twenty one season. He played eight games, played nine games last year of Kentucky due to injury. So I don't know how it works or whatever. If you're remember Day Day, Thomas got an extra year because they decided the junior college years don't count, which gave UC an extra year and the keid to winning anymore. You hear all these coaches saying it is to be old. You know, it used to be you know they were the one and done. Were these high school kids coming in and then going to the league, And now they want to be old, and heck, now they're reaching into the G league and pulling guys back into college so whatever applied doesn't apply anymore. It's kind of like gambling in sports.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Scott, I wonder what a guy like Kerr with in personnel, do they have the ability to pace wise push it more than maybe they have in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what he really likes. And Dayda Thomas likes that Kerr likes to push the ball. And if you watched when they made their run against Michigan there in the first half, they were pushing the ball and they're really excited about that first half. And that's something that some of the guys on staff I was talking to that they think that that's what they're about. They want to do that. And if you really look at that second half, Misigan's trying to win that game. They played their guys, they played the Lindenborg played thirty one or the forty minutes, and the Bearcats kind of kept to their mo and split the time month. I think Chom played twenty six, but you know, halveen Zella played thirteen minutes. Typically in a game against the number sevent team in the nation, that's not happening. So now let's not get ahead of our ski as we go back to last year at Ohio State and everyone thought, oh my god, what four here we come. People were booking hotel rooms and that might have been the best game they played. It went down hill.
Speaker 1: That ye're right, yet every point.
Speaker 2: It was a slippery slope from there. So I think this team is better personnel wise looking at it. But the pundits, you know, they're a little bit snake bit. The John Rothstein's who he was there today, all the famous people, Seth Davis, I got the pressures with greatness. Wow, I'm just a guy that snuck in somewhere. But it's fun talking to all these guys. The fran threw Shield is them all. But but you know, I think Rostein has them forty in his forty five and everyone's saying NC double air bus and there there's something to that. Yeah, but you wonder it's like everyone that put them, you know, top twenty last year, they're going, well, I don't want to do it this year because I got VI. So I think they're every bit is good. But that's the reason they're not ranked. And maybe sometimes it's better than not being ranked. You go back to the final four team in ninety two. I don't think they were even ranked till mid January.
Speaker 1: Scott Springer checking in from the acquire Cincinia dot com covering the Bearcats for a Big twelve media day in Kansas City. Jalen Hayes big man out indefinitely. What do they lose in his absence or and who might gain opportunities in his absence?
Speaker 2: Finding Tyler McKinley is the one that could get the minutes, and he got some there against Michigan. Came in, got some big boards. He's a great rebounder, and he's somebody that they would have played last year as a freshman. And then he blew his knee out so he had to wait. But you know, he hit a three. They had a lot of guys hitting threes. Charm hit a three. So right now your front cord is Chom Baba Miller who everyone loves. Frank Traschilla loves Boba Miller says he's the best NBA prospect right now. And then McKinley, and you know you miss with with Haines. It's a wide body dude that you know, if your old school like me, you like that guy that can discove his button to the post and get things done, but I don't know if they're going to have him back by the end of the year or there will be a medical red shirt. I think they're exploring all those possibilities, but I don't think he's going to play anytime soon now. Jalen Celstein, who did not play against Michigan, is supposed to get some minutes Friday against Arkansas. And he's another if you remember the UC Baylor game that was at fifth Third Arena, Celestine started at a decent game and he's another you know, six seven guy that can play a lot of spots. You know, the so called positionless basketball is kind of what they're geared for anymore.
Speaker 1: What are your impressions to this point of the much hyped in balleyhood freshman shot A baiev.
Speaker 2: Well. I saw him at Overtime Elite last year in Atlanta, and it was right before the night before that UC played Georgia Tech, So we got down there and were able to go to Overtime Elite. Now, Overtime Elite is not like Anderson High School or any other place with wooden bleachers or you named the high school. It is showtime. They got lights, they got big scoreboards, so that atmosphere. I think he's used to that. And you know, chrystl Arena had ten thousand plus in there the other night. I don't think he was faith now will he v faith? And some other games? Who knows? That man? He looked like the dude that I saw playing against the high school kids that night. And he base's a six' eight point. Guard he can do a lot of.
Speaker 1: Things you you ran across talk TO, u so you tweeted about the Former Bearcat Dan. Skillings, obviously last season with The bearcats did not go as he or anybody. Wanted how how does he seem now and how does he feel about this new. Opportunity seems, happy you.
Speaker 2: KNOW i guess the change of scenery might. Help they wanted him and Against Grand, CANYON i think he had a double double in their first. Exhibition they brought him to media, day so they must think a lot of. Him AND i don't KNOW i heard him well since he's. Gone he told somebody that maybe he should have redshirted last, Year SO i don't. Know i'm not a medical expert to us. ALL i, think let's be, honest it didn't look like he was into. It some games When Dan skillings is into, it he's as good as he wants to. Be AND i just that's WHAT i couldn't figure out it, say, man here you. Are you should be on the floor and taking. Command and for a guy that was recruited for his rebounding with the, link there were some odd games where you, know you only have like two. Rebounds and so if he gets his head, together which he's a great, kid you, know don't get me, wrong, wonderful pleasant to talk to. Today he said all the right, things AND i hope he does. Well he will be back at fifth Third Arena january twenty, eighth fully expecting to be. Booed BUT i think he realizes that his girlfriend on if he's engaged yet or, not but she's From. Cincinnati she was on the dance, team so he Likes. Cincinnati even mentioned that this is Someplace i'd like to come home and you, know lay my head and start a. Family so he may be back around town at some, point but for right, now he's In. Baylor and it's so funny you go back To april And skillings was the first guy that jumped into the portal and then next, thing you, know the whole team is out and everyone's going as their. Team what's? Happening guy's, falling and then here come these other, guys here comes The, calgary it comes more in and it's so odd anymore because when you WERE i were growing, up it was you knew the players on the teams and you knew who'd expect. Back and now it's just so. Different you don't. Know and The Senior days are meant for guys that have been around for six months and hold a black.
Speaker 1: Up for those who are following, along who want more on The, bearcats who are wondering what's going on In Kansas. City tell everybody what you, have what you have in the, works what you've, posted and what will be.
Speaker 2: Posted well posted today's. Stuff yet the women's the media day stuff was up, TODAY i. Believe also did two football stories yesterday WHILE i was here covering women's basketball because he had A scott sanderfield presser davedr ANDAs. PRESSER i covered that. Remotely so a couple of things out on and of course it's a big football Game saturday for homecoming four. O'CLOCK i did A baylor podcast, Today so my head's spinning about like yours. Here you're all over the place with every. Sport so, UH i just wanted to be Like lanceford. Day it would be really, busy but it was a lot of things coming, out a lot of things going on and HOPEFULLY i can get. HOME i got. Here my plane that took, off it slammed on the brakes going To chicago and the engine blue and we had we had to go Through dulles to get. Here and there was a woman as we're getting rebooked and she's saying to the. Attendant she, goes, well AM i going to get compensated for? THIS i, Said i'm your compensation it is you are? Upright what do you?
Speaker 1: Want he Is Scott springer Of The Inquiry cincinnati dot com and he's on x at S Springer. Sports appreciate you Making tom and a busy. Day you always enjoyed the. Conversation thank, You thanks very, much.
Speaker 2: Sir all, right there there you, Go.
Speaker 1: Scott, springer got to cover for you. Today let's do. This take a time out of come back