Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begne.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're going to running back to.
Speaker 1: Get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch short podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: We are live at City Field in Queens after the Dodgers beat the Mets by a final score of four to two. Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until the top of the hour. Phone lines are open at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. The Dodgers, after being in three cities and forty eight hours, have enough left in the tank to play a baseball game against even the lowly dis pointing billion dollar Mets and beat them tonight four to two. And they look like they they were locked in. They had a lot of focus tonight. You have to have a lot of focus when you only strike out five times as a team, and they had eleven heads through three walks. So the Dodgers did not just punt this game or you know, use anything in the last forty eight hours as far as a lot of travel as an excuse. And the tone was set by Roki Sasaki. You're gonna hear from Freddy Freeman in a moment. But look, we all talk about the results, right, But the way Roki Sasaki pitched tonight and the way he pitched at Yankee Stadium, that keeps everybody on their toes. They're not just standing around watching him labor through seven to eight pitch at bats, not finding the strike zone and walking the house. When you throw strikes and keep your team involved and get them off the field, you're going to have opportunities for your team to score for you. Because so many times when Roki's been on the mound, they're three hour games because he can't find the strike zone. He's throwing ninety nine one hundred pitches in a four inning stint, and that's not conducive to winning ballgames. Part of the reason why Robleski and lower get a lot of run support is because they're attacking the strike zone and they're getting their team involved, and they're getting their team off the field instead of just standing around. And you saw that tonight, and you saw that at Yankee Stadium tonight. So I think that's part of the equation here for Rokie, he's got to realize when you throw strikes and you attack the way he has the last two starts, it's going to help the entire flow of the game. Here was Freddy Freeman after the game tonight. Three hits, a stolen base and scoring twice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a long couple of weeks on these but we've been playing good baseball. We know we want to end the road trip on a good note. We've got a good team and Rookie was unbelievable again, So we'll pull it out tonight. So get some rest to night and come out again.
Speaker 2: Barm When he works quickly and gets out and throws strikes, how much does that just help everything?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I even the gate pace of play is like that. It was tonight.
Speaker 2: I'm both Sean.
Speaker 5: Pitch good too.
Speaker 3: So he had his basketball working on top of his own Twitter off a bit sliders early in accounts, getting strikes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you just had everything going.
Speaker 2: Again, Freddie, You're one double away from being in the top twenty five of all major league players with the most doubles in your career. You'll join Bobby I Bray. You and Charlie Garrant are the next double you hit. How has that happened? How is that transpired?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to you know, sometimes comprehend when you're doing some things. You don't really focus on those things when you're.
Speaker 2: Going about it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I've just been lucky enough to stay healthy for a long time, play this game long time. He consistently good long enough, and obviously having the trust of my managers to put me out there every single day.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's pretty cool. I can't lie.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we'll see what you're doing tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Hey, it's fitting in New York too, Freddy. I know about your history here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do you like New York?
Speaker 2: I like playing here.
Speaker 3: I've had a lot of history here. I've been playing here before there was a party deck, so I've been around a long time.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for stopping Freddy. Congratulations on just doing Freddy things every night.
Speaker 3: Thank you, David Appreay, thank you.
Speaker 2: Hey, Freddy Freeman was all over this game tonight. He even got thrown out at the plate. In the fifth inning or fourth inning, trying to tag up on a fly ball by Miguel Rojas. But Freddy Freeman now with five hundred and seventy three doubles in his career, he passes Robinson Cano and Pu Rodriguez for the twenty sixth most doubles in baseball history, and like I mentioned to him, he's one more double away from being in the top twenty five. Just a remarkable Hall of Fame type career for Freddie Freeman. And he stole a base. I didn't bring this up to him. He singled in the eighth inning, stole second. There was a reviewed challenge. And you know, I don't know if Kyle Tucker is one of those guys that wants location or any sort of sign being relayed from second base, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with Freddie at second base and Tucker hitting a two run home run off of former Brave and Freddie teammate aj Minterter. But Freddie does so many things for this team, and he's having another great year and certainly has done his part even at thirty six years old. How about the sacrifice bunt Squeaz play that was busted. Dalton rushing with runners at the corners, Taoscar Hernandez at first, Tucker at third. He bunted that ball way too hard back to Manaia and Tucker probably should have gone back, like Jose Motas said. But the good thing that Tucker did, he was hanging out to dry and he got into a rundown and he almost scored in that rundown. And Taoscar Hernandez smart going all the way from first to third base while Tucker was getting in that rundown. He didn't have to do any waving. Taoscar Hernandez knew what to do, and Dalton rushing the trailing runner smart enough as well to get to second base, and it led to a run, a sacrifice fly. So that was one of the little things the Dodgers did well tonight. And how about Andy Paez in the seventh inning, maybe his best abs challenge. That's the type of time the Dodgers want their hitters to challenge. Seventh inning, there was two they had runners in scoring position. You got Tommy Edmond on deck, and the pitch was at least two inches above the strike zone at the top of the zone and that is the time that you're supposed to challenge late in the game, leverage swing situation. If it's strike. If it's a strike, he's out, inning over. If it's a ball, it's ball. Four inning continues, line moves on and Paz was right so to me, in the seventh inning, that was the best challenge by Andy Poez this season. I couldn't believe Also that you know, the Mets would have infield in with Otani at the plate in the seventh inning, that was a dangerous gamble. He flied out to center field. So those are some of the things that stood out to me as far as things that won't be in the box score about tonight's game as the Dodgers beat the Mets four to two, And like I mentioned to Freddy and as I started the show, this is something that you have to take into consideration because the Dodgers are some of the all Stars, especially have been on the East Coast for two weeks. It's going to be two weeks on Sunday. They have been in three different cities in the last forty eight hours, from Philly to Washington, d c. And back to New York to play this game. Tonight. Yesterday they were celebrated. It was a fun day. It was a quick day. They were in DC for a matter of hours, and we're out of there and back in New York by eight thirty. We landed in New York at about eight pm, eight fifteen and back at the hotel by eight forty five. So they come out here behind a well pitched game from Roki Sasaki, and give him credit because he was on the trip to Washington. D C comes out here and dominates. So just an amazing team. You really have to realize what you're watching. These guys are incredible. And I said this during the raindolay in Philadelphia. I'll say it again. I really do believe this will be shocking. It will shock you how dominant the Dodgers will be in October. Everybody wants to find an excuse on who's going to beat them, how they can lose. That's just the way it was with the Jeter Pisada Pettit Yankees, and it took a broken bat hand old job by Luis Gonzalez or the Diamondbacks would have lost that series and the Yankees would have four peeded. So a lot of luck goes your way in October. But the Dodgers have a lot of talent and it's going to be really hard to stop this locomotive, this freight train that is going for a three pete. Let's go out to the phones for the first time tonight, carlsbad Mark, You're on Dodger Talk Live from City Field.
Speaker 6: Hi, Mark, Hey David, I just wanted to comment on the depth at the catcher position. I know Wills is now in the sixty day IL. I think Dalton's doing a good job of becoming a professional. I just wonder at the trade deadline and there's a couple the catcher from the Twins, the catcher from the the Athletics, do you think that would happen? I know that the Dodgers usually don't do things at the trade deadline. Just your opinion.
Speaker 2: No, they do. They normally do make trades at the deadline, but they usually make them on the margins. And going back to twenty eighteen when they traded for Machado, they've done big splashes. They traded for you Darvish at the trade deadline in twenty seventeen, So don't put them in that bucket. They do make big trades, And how about the one at twenty four three way trade with the White Sox and the Cardinals for Tommy Edmond and Michael Kopek, who were huge in twenty twenty four. So they do make big trades when it presents itself and when it's needed. But yeah, Victor Carrottini, Ryan Jeffers, I wouldn't go for Jeffers. Carotini would be my guy, But I was watching a game last night and he felt a ball off his knee, so I don't know where he's at injury wise. The guy you're talking about from the A's makes a lot of sense, Jonaheime. I checked in with a couple of players and I asked them what they thought about Jonaheim. He's a rental. He's a good catcher. That would be the best fit. The guy here with the Mets, Mark Lauris Torentz. He's incredible. He's one of the best defensive catchers in baseball right now. But the Mets know that, and it's not just going to be a backup catcher. Price They signed him to a two year extension, so you would have to make a decision next year with him. But Jonaheim makes it easier because he's a rental. He's a free agent at the end of the year.
Speaker 6: Would you trade for a catcher at the Treddley.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I would. I would trade for a guy like Jonaheim or Torrentz from the Mets. Here you do man and you could, yeah, no problem. And the reason why I say that is you could still have if Will Smith comes back in September or at some point here you can. You can have three catchers on your roster. Now. It's kind of a roster squeeze right now, especially with Key Hernandez coming back. But between now in September, you never know what could happen. So that's the reason why I'm in for a veteran backup catcher to be there for the Dodgers. And if Will Smith can't come back, you got a veteran catcher behind Dalton Rushing. Let's go out to Sergio in North Hollywood. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Sergio?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great. Wow. We're really seeing something special this season. I mean, the way these Dodgers are playing, I mean, we are just just seeing something special. This This train is not going to stop until the first of November when they go three in a row. This is just amazing and a privilege what we're watching. I mean, I'm watching it all my requiner, and so is Soto after the sixth inning, all that money, he's got to step up. I realize they're way behind. They're not going to make the playoffs, they're several games behind. But as a leader on a ball club like that, you know, just finish out the game. I mean, there's no leadership on the Mets. The Dodgers are just they're just grinding it out. It's just a privilege to watch this ball club do what they're doing, and it's just going to be a beautiful thing as we head into October, and I'm just excited. The whole family is here and you know, go Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Hey love it. Buckle up for October, that's for sure, sir Jio. And look, this series again is on full display that it's not just about the money you spend, it's about who you spend it on. And the Dodgers have. You know, I'm not going to say I've been perfect, but for the majority, not everybody's perfect. You're going to make judgments that the players don't turn out to perform the way you thought they would. But the Mets signed big contracts to middle tier players. That's the difference between these two teams. The Dodgers paid big time players, the Mets, outside of Soto, paid middle tier players superstar contracts. It just doesn't add up. It's the wildest thing. And speaking of the trade deadline and the Dodgers in October, I firmly believe the biggest win for the Dodgers at the trade deadline would be if the Tigers hold onto Schooble. That means none of the contenders get Schooble and they are who they are and don't get one of, if not the best pitcher in baseball and Trek Scuoble, who tonight had a season high twelve strikeouts in a two to one win over the Royals Kenniley Jansen with his twelveth save. He's now only thirteen away from five hundred. But to me, if Trek Scooball remains a Tiger the rest of the year, that's a huge win for the Dodgers. And I'm still I'll believe it when I see it. If Trek Scooball's wearing a Dodger uniform after the trade deadline. I just the reason why, and this is what I believe is the Dodgers thinking. The reason why I don't believe the Dodgers are going to trade for school bl is because they don't have a pressing need for schoolbol a rental, twelve million dollar rental, and there's no guarantee that if you trade for school bul you're winning the World Series. Think back to the Dodgers beating the Mets in the NLCS and beating the Yankees in the World Series in twenty four How many starters did they have. They basically did that with one and a half starters. They were running out of pitching. They did it a lot with bullpen games, guys like Brent Honeywell. And then last year they did it. The starting pitching win, the dominance of Yamamoto and Blake Snell and Otani helped them win the World Series with a weak bullpen. They sent some of their starters back there. This year, the Dodgers have a strong bullpen and they have a strong starting staff. Snell is pitching right now in Oklahoma City, his second rehab start. He's into the third inning. He hasn't walked a batter. He has three strikeouts, so you know he went two and two thirds tonight and he's building up. So you're getting Snell back, You're glass now through to hitters today in LA you're getting both those guys back, and let's say, worst case scenario, one of them doesn't finish the season, you have Justin Robleski and a dominant bullpen. So that's when I hear these so called experts that say and report they know what the Dodgers are doing. No, they don't, No, they don't. They're getting their information secondhand, not from the Dodgers, because that's the Dodgers thinking that they have won the last two World Series with two different styles of pitching staffs out of necessity, and there's no guarantees that if you trade for school Bol you're going to win the World Series. And they're not giving up a blue chip outfield prospect and a starting pitcher for Schoolbol rental when they can win the World Series without schoolbl And also, here's a little insight to Andrew Friedman's thinking. He doesn't just trade to keep players away from other teams. That's not the way he thinks, or he would have gone all in for Juan Soto when the Nationals traded him to the Padres. He didn't do that to keep Sodo away from the Padres. So that's just not how he operates. Eight sixty six eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have phone lines open. We're gonna take a time out when we come back. More of your phone calls at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. David Vasse live City Field after the Dodgers beat the Mets four to two on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com and on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 5: Tucker standing tall ahead of the one. One here it is.
Speaker 7: Tucker hits it hard, in't here to deep right field, going back bench, he will turn it's gone. Oh how much did Kyle Tucker need a swing like that? His eighth home run of the year, a two run shot to give the Dodgers some breathing room in the age.
Speaker 2: That was off former Brave aj Mintor with Freddie Freeman at second base in the eighth and ain't Kyle Tucker a two run home run for the Dodgers as they beat the Mets tonight four to two. David Vasse live at City Field and want to remind you that Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy lasports dot com, use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Got to tell you something behind the scenes here. So today at City Field, they are filming a movie with Chris Pine and Emma Stone. They're both out here. It's a baseball type of movie called The Catch. They even put something on the big screen that alerted people that were in the right field seats because that's where Emma Stone was sitting filming this part of the movie. And they let people know that if you're in that area, you are consenting to be photographed or recorded as part of the production. And I just walked out during that commercial break to go to the bathroom and here in the press box. The entire hallway outside of the broadcast booth is lined with movie production people. They're still filming the movie. I can actually see they're filming it in the booth like four down from me. So yeah, that's going on right now. A movie starring Emma Stone and Chris Pine is being filmed as we are rolling with Dodger Talk right now at almost eleven o'clock Eastern time. So that's what's happening where I'm at right now. I mean, it's been a surreal last forty eight hours being with the Dodgers and just documenting everything about this season, but especially the last forty eight hours. It's like being with a rock band, going from Philly to Washington, d C. To the Senate Building at ten in the morning yesterday incredibly with Will Klein and micguil Rojas and some of the ownerships to go see the California Senators and then going back to the Hotel Well in Georgetown or Washington, DC, and then taking the bus to the White House and going through that entire thing in the Rose Garden and being behind the scenes. I mean, first time I was in the bubble with the Dodgers at the White House to be celebrated and just had a great time catching up with Clayton Kershaw and Will klin on the pregame show actually said catching up with Kershaw, the first thing he said to him was why are you throwing sidearm? And that alerted Will Kleinb that his armslaught is dropping. So Kershaw at the White House is coaching up guys like Will Klinb. So it's been an incredible road trip, but especially the last forty eight hours. And look, we all understand the political climate these days. The Dodgers want to know part of that. They don't want any of the rhetoric or get caught up in all that. It was just strictly one of these whatever you want to call it, traditions when you win the World Series, you get celebrated by whoever is the President of the United States. And the Dodgers just went there. They had a good time as players and coaches and manager and got on a plane and we landed in New York City last night at about eight o'clock, got to the hotel around eight forty five. So here we are and the Dodgers beat the Meds tonight four to two. Behind a strong start from Roki Sasaki nine strikeouts in seven innings of work. Let's go out to Manny and Passo Roeblis. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Manny?
Speaker 8: I'm doing good.
Speaker 5: How are you? Man Hey?
Speaker 2: Living the dream with these guys that are going for a three pete. I'm just taking it all in and trying to convey everything that's happening to you and the rest of the folks.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, man and we appreciate it very much. I just wanted to touch on Freddy and man I just we can't give him enough praise. I don't think he's just been unbelievable since he joined the Dodgers, and I personally think, you know, when he joined, that's I think that's when everything changed, and you know, the winning mentality.
Speaker 9: I'm curious.
Speaker 2: So that's funny. People were you know many Manny. That's funny because the first two years Freddy was on the Dodgers, Uh, they lost in the first round to the Padres and got swept by the Diamondbacks and everybody was down on Freddy and Mookie. So it's funny how the narrative has changed the last two years because of his incredible Octobers. That's how much things can change.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, a couple of championships will do that for you.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 8: But but yeah, where does he rank in your all time Dodgers. I think he's easily in my top five.
Speaker 6: What about you, Divi?
Speaker 2: Oh Man, that's tough, Manny. I would say, in the last fifteen years, definitely top five Dodger. That's the way I put all of this into context, Manny, because you can't compare Freddy Freeman to Gil Hodgers or Duke Snyder. You can't even compare him to Steve Garvey. Right, those were two different generations. The game has played a lot differently. Freddie probably can play in any generation, and that's why he would be in my top five.
Speaker 5: I agree, Dave. I agree, Man.
Speaker 8: Let's keep the ball rolling, Let's keep these boys aiming for October.
Speaker 5: Man, have a great time out in New York.
Speaker 8: Thanks a lot, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Mannie, thank you for the phone call. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello the Mark of a Fighter. Let's go out to San Diego. Rollie, you're on Dodger Talk Live from New York.
Speaker 5: How you doing doing well? Thanks for taking a call.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. What do you have?
Speaker 5: Oh, First of all, I have my nine year old son Levi here, super excited. Say hi, Levi Hillo, we're playing baseball in the cul de Sac. But I have a question, and it seems I never get a good answer on it. But is there any real info that you can tell us about what's really going on with Will Smith? Because every time I look up news or I hear Dave Roberts say he's pain free, but he's not doing any workouts. So if he's pain free, help me understand in my little brain, why isn't he playing?
Speaker 2: You're right, I mean we haven't really got a clear, definitive answer on what exactly is going on. My understanding is it's some you know, I'm not even going to venture to say what they're trying to explain. But nobody really has explained definitively what exactly is wrong with Will Smith's neck, other than we know he can't really turn to he can't turn his neck to the left without pain. But he's paint free only in the last five days, so that's something that's changed in a positive way. And you're right, Rallie, I don't have an answer for you. Because nobody has given it to us, so I can't really say. Will Smith during a ten game homestand didn't want to answer questions about it, So I don't know. I don't even know if Will knows exactly what it is. And maybe that's part of the reason. So that's why there's so much uncertainty regarding whether or not or when Will Smith is going to return. Everybody I've talked to with the Dodgers believes and are hopeful that he's going to return, but there's no guarantees.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it just seems like they're pretty transparent most of the time, and I just hope there's not some bear problem that they're just they're keeping it.
Speaker 2: Will Smith. Yeah, I've spent time with Will Smith. I I you know, it's not like he's in a neck brace. I'll put it that way rally. But hopefully when the Dodgers get home, will get a little bit clearer idea on how Will Smith is doing and when he may return. Well, thank you, all right, thank you. Rolly eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I just want to mention some other things that are going on, trade deadline wise, go ahead back three or four weeks, I had heard some buzz at the Rangers were considering trading Corey Seger even though they are in first place and being out here on the East Coast. I'm hearing that buzz again that the Rangers are looking to trade Corey Seeger, which is shocking to me because he is a World Series MVP for their only World Series Championship. He still has a lot of years and money left on that contract, and I'm trying to think what team would be a fit for Corey Seeger. If it's not the Rangers. The only one I could think of would be the Atlanta Braves. They need a shortstop? Would they pull the trigger on that? So I'm just shocked the Rangers would even entertain the idea of trading Corey Seger. You trade Corey Seeger, what do you got? Let's go out to Ryan, who happened to be at City Field tonight. Hi, Ryan, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: Hey TV?
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 3: Thanks for taking our call?
Speaker 2: My pleasure. Where were you sitting tonight?
Speaker 9: We were right right next to the dugout. Actually it was amazing Dodger dugout right by the Dodger dugout.
Speaker 2: Nice. Those are great seats. Did you make did you make the trip just for the Mets series or did you go to Philly as well?
Speaker 9: We didn't make it the Philly, but we went to the Yankees series, so we did the doubleheader and then and then we stayed here in New York until for tonight's game as well.
Speaker 2: And so where are you calling me from? You're not on the subway, obviously, did you rent a car? How did you get here?
Speaker 9: We're driving on the Grand Central Parkway. My grandma and grandpa live out here, so we're visiting them, and good excuse to see the boys on the road and visit family.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, Ryan, And yeah, we be out to call in and say that we're so stoked on Rokie just.
Speaker 9: Getting up there and shoving in front of everybody, and also just to say that encourage everybody to go see the guys on the they're so generous with their time with the kids. Will Klein came over to my son and like rip Pokemon packs with them. He's such a good guy and just it's great to see him on the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, Ryan, That's a great experience. Man, what a winning road trip for you, Ryan and your family. That's cool. Will Klein is a great guy, and like I said, uh, we had a great pregame conversation that you can listen to on the iHeartRadio app. Tomorrow is going to be a wonderful pitching matchup, at least on paper. We're always anticipating it, but I have a feeling, at least from the Dodgers side, Yamamoto will live up to it. It's on National TV. Yamamoto is definitely in the National League scy Younger Work conversation. He's ten and six with an ERA of two seventy eight. He's going up against young right hander Nolan McClain, who was big time hyped up by everybody in New York. He's seven and eight with an ERA of three thirty four. Our coverage begins tomorrow at three o'clock, first pitch at four point fifteen from City Field with Jose Mota and Steven Nelson. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thanks for listening. Thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Cityfield, and thanks to you for listening. Like I mentioned earlier, We'll Climb. You could find it on the iHeartRadio app every Dodger Talk episode. Preset Us like Us, do it All on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight the Dodgers feed the Mets four to two. Have a great rest of your night. See you.
Speaker 7: It's true.
Speaker 2: Send it away.