Speaker 1: By Billy Cunningham, the Great American. First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to all. And we heard from, of course CEO John Ferret expressing Thanksgiving wishes to all in the tri State, talking about the conditions of Cincinnati. Now, Joe and you and I Now is the Governor of Ohio, Mike Dwine. He is going to talk about the state of Ohio and so much more. George Will loves Mike Dwine and I love Mike DeWine, despite the protestations of some. I love Mike DeWine. Governor Mike DeWine. Welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And first of all, what do you and Fran do? How many coming over? How many pies? How much gravy? What does it look like for tomorrow for the Dwine clan?
Speaker 2: A lot, a lot of good gravy, A lot of good, good pies. That brand is making homemade pies. If you want to come over, you and the judge want to come over, you can do it, Billy, we want Nobody will even know that you're not related. They'll just look down the island, you know, look down the Oh that's a cousin. That's a different cousin.
Speaker 1: I got a classic photo of me, Penny, you and my mother which is on my nightstand at home. You might recall the late nineteen nineties, and I got a great great Yeah, I was there and great. Well the way we all looked a bit younger at that point, you.
Speaker 2: Know, well, well, I guess that's right. So and answer to your question, Fran tells me about forty five. So this is this is immediate family. These are kids, grandkids and their spouses and yeah, and one one great granddaughter. So you know, all good, oh good.
Speaker 1: A wise man told me that in the seventies and when I when I was in my twenties, it was much more fun than being in the twenties.
Speaker 3: In my seventies, would you agree. I'm gonna try that on me.
Speaker 2: I've had fun, you know, my twenties, thirties, forties. You know, I'm now in my seventies, so yes, still having fun and joined what I'm doing. And now we got you know, I got a lot of grand kids, so that's great.
Speaker 3: How many do you have? Do you know about how many?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, we have twenty eight, twenty eight grandchildren. So yeah, it's good, very very blessed.
Speaker 3: Enough this enough for this yes, let's get down to the hard tax.
Speaker 1: First of all, I see the Ohio National Guard has been extended by you in Washington, d C. Can you explain what the Guard is doing in Washington, d C. Why was it extended and are they effective?
Speaker 2: Guard is in Washington, d C. You know, at the request of the Secretary of the Army, who you know, talk directly to me about it, we went out there. I went out there to visit the guard a while ago. Our guard and the head of the National Guard in Washington, d C. Came specifically knew I was going to be there and came to thank me. He said, if you, you and a couple other states went out here with the assignment we've been given, you know, our guys would be working in women would be working fifteen sixteen hours a day. So you know, we're backing up basically the police.
Speaker 3: Uh, you don't.
Speaker 2: We don't get involved in police work. But our people have a direct contact that they see something that they think, you know, needs police involvement, they directly contact the Washington d C. Police Department. So, uh, that's that's that's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Politically, that's not popular among liberal circles. I guess they went the major cities to completely collapse. Are you catching flak from the left and the right for doing this?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know, Bill, I mean, you can't you can't please everybody. I get that. I mean, Washington, d C. Is a different city. It's a different city because despite what you know from the mayor there may think or other you know, people may think, it still is the federal city. And you know, the President of the United States has significant authority there, as does the United States Congress, and so when they ask us to, you know, back them up, it's a it's a very very different thing than you know, if we're doing this in some other state, you know, in Ohio. UH. You know, we've some people have raised the issues, should you send the National Guard to clevelanders in the Cincinnati And our answer has been that that's you know, in Ohio at least, that's not our most effective tool to fight violent crime. You know, we're working with the Cincinnati Police Department, as you know, we're working with other cities UH and put basically a group together that involves our members of the Ohio State Highway Patrol UH, some of our liquor control people, some of our parole people, and we're able to really you know, make a difference working very very closely with the police departments of these various cities. So if you're going after violent specifically violent crime, you know, my judgment, government of the State of Ohio, it's best to deploy the groups that I just talked about instead of the National Guard. Now if you get you know, civil unrest and things like that. The George Floyd summer, you know, we did, at the request of local mayors, deploy the Guard for that purpose. So I think it's just you know, as far as I'm concerned, it's government of Ohio. What we deploy here in Ohio is going to be based on what the problem is. And when you're dealing with violent crime, you know, we're we're pretty darn sure that the best thing we can do is is, you know, have our police officers involved as well as the local police.
Speaker 1: Well, Governor, they we had seven people shot this month outside of a bar called The Privy, and I had on a business owner yesterday. You cannot I could send you the video, but you can imagine gunshots shutting down Elm Street, blocking that road. Happened last weekend. UH twrking loud, you seek open air drug use, fornication in public. This happens on Elm Street and some of the business owners there are gone half crazy, with the mayor and the city manager saying we need Can you imagine a city street in Cincinnati blocked on either end, drive by shootings, torking, simulated sex acts, drug use at two o'clock in the morning, almost every weekend. And the business owners and OTR said we can't take it anymore. And now Seth Walsh is telling some they're going to put a police sub station out in front of the Privy bar on Elm Street.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking, and.
Speaker 1: The lid's been kept on a little bit because you know, we put our best foot forward. But you can imagine living in OTR when you have those circumstances happening. And on Saturday night the Privy I'm looking at the circular the Tony Bender and my producer is thinking about attending it. Says here the Saturday, November twenty ninth, the Blackout third year anniversary, bring everybody with you. All hell's going to break loose on Elm Street and uh and I hope the city police and Adam Henny the the acting chief of police is a good man, he's respected.
Speaker 3: They never should have fired Thiji. That's a different matter.
Speaker 1: But nonetheless, we got problems and uh, and we need effective Look mainly you've been in the criminal justice system. We need judges who will sentence criminals to jail and not put them on these ankle monitors that are cut off. And no one's attending that either, and I hope that's not the situation.
Speaker 3: In other cities.
Speaker 2: Well, Bill, Bill, you're right. I mean when you look at you know, how do you fight violent crime? It obviously starts with citizens and starts with the police, but you know, it's also important for the judges, uh not to let these people out on low bond and you know, they're right back they're right back out. And the reality is, and you're not talked about this before, but there's a violent Uh. There's a relatively small number of people who commit most of the violent crime. And what we have to do is frankly, get rid of them and lock them up and keep them locked up. So, you know, judges play a roleness. And I'm not criticizing anybody, but judges play a roleness and they need they need to get tough with with with these individuals. So it's we just have to the reality is that you have a small number of people who just committing you know, the vast majority of this crime. And we did a study going back to the nineteen seventies and a good number of these people who you see that are committing these crimes have been arrested already on Toellny's five, six, seven, eight, Yeah, and and so you just you know, we just have to get serious about them. I mean, the most important function of government is.
Speaker 1: What protect protect safe, safe safety now and without that you got nothing. I just said on John Barrett saying the same thing that he's working with Procter and Gamble, Fifth Third Bank, Kroger to make sure through the city. But the city cops are telling me and articles written in the inquiry about this. They arrest and because of restorative justice principles, the perpetrators are on the street, but before the paperwork is done. And I don't know how from the governor, from the chief of Police and judges, we've changed fundamentally who the judges are in Hamleting County. And two or three more good ones just got thrown out of office earlier this month and be replaced by those who believe in no cash bonds. And I maybe Sharon Kennedy or somebody Chief Justice can do something. But you know, anyway, I got to move on to two other issues. One is gambling. I got gam gambling. I mean, you have a quote that provided to me by the newsroom that you wish you had not allowed gambling, casino gambling, sports betting in Ohio. Can you embellish on your thoughts about the mistake you claim you made on gambling?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I shouldn't as signed the bill. Let me go back a couple of things. One, we have made some progress on on in game betting. We worked with the Major League Commissioner, major League Baseball Commissioner and to you know, to ban what we call micro micro bets over two hundred dollars and so that's a big, big progress. Before that, you know, we had worked with the NCAA to ban prop bets on interclagiate sports and we were able to do that in Ohio. When I started hearing from coaches that you know, the gamblers were were just causing all kinds of problem with their players online and threatening them and doing all kinds of things like that. So we did that a couple of years ago. So we've made some progress. We've got to looking forward. We're working now with the NFL to try to get some of their prop bets banned, and we should have something, we hope in the next in the next several weeks on that. But in regard to overall sports gaming, the argument for it bill was, uh, many states are already doing We're already doing it. Uh. And it was pointed out that if you wanted to, and a lot of people were in Ohio, you could use your phone and go online and go offshore and basically illegally, but there was no way to really enforce it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think what I did not fully understand was the massive amount of money once we legalized it in Ohio, the massive amount of money that the sports gaming companies would spend on advertising. You know, I watched the Reds. I watched the Reds almost every game on TV. If I'm not down in Cincinnati watching a game in person, and you know, it's right there in your face, it's right there in your face. They're telling you what the odds are for a certain player to do a certain thing, and it's bam, bam bam. And the same thing with any other support you're watching watch football today, whether it's Interclesiate, whether it's BRO, you're getting the same thing. The NBA, you're dotting the same thing. So they're spending, you know, hundreds of millions of dollars to advertise this, and the other thing is it bill. It's unlike most gaming that we're used to, where you know, okay, you want to a casino, Well you have to get in your car and you have to drive there, and you have to make a conscious effort to effort to do that. Now everybody's got a casino basically in their pocket with their phone. And what we're seeing is people from basically twenty one to forty, usually males, many of them are becoming addicted to this and losing a ton ton of money. So yeah, I mean, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't have signed it. Now you know, it may have been passed over my veto. Yeah, it would have been may become well anyway, But I would just ask the question, hey, why do you regret signing it? And I told the truth. Yeah, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. I wouldn't have signed it. But you know that's where we are.
Speaker 1: Wait about a minute remaining on that front. Representative Adam Byrd to Claremont County. I had him on a couple of days ago talking about Neil coming to high school. There's a high school quarterback who wants to get paid ten thousand dollars to play football for a high school and I'm thinking.
Speaker 3: Now, this is getting ridiculous.
Speaker 1: But the superintendents, by seventy five percent said yes, bring Neil to high school sports. Would you sign a bill passed by Adam Byrd and others and Speaker Huffman that would ban under eighteen year old kids in high school to benefit financially by playing quarterback or throwing a no hitter.
Speaker 2: W I don't know if there's going to be a bill or not, but I think it's kind of I think it's stupid. I think the problem bill is what will the courts do? I mean, you know, we got into this mess because the courts, uh, you know, based on their reading of the Constitution, said you can't deprive you know, a collegiate athlete of the ability to make money and sell and sell their services and so the court ruled that way. I think some people believe that a court would rule the same way in regard to high school students. So I think that's that's the biggest problem. But I think it's I think it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm you on that, you know, crazy.
Speaker 1: I was told by a coach a kid wants ten thousand dollars to play quarterback. I'm going, what, okay, why not twenty thousand? All right, well, Mike, you and you MC governor, you and Francis. I didn't know it was Francis until I read the George Will call him. I called her frand you call her Francis Francis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, when she and I first first met, you know, basically it was Francis. So I still kind of think of her as Francis, but I think most people probably know her his fran and we had a we had an interesting breakfast, as you say, with with with with yours Will, and you know he ended up writing writ in the column, So that was.
Speaker 3: It is what it is.
Speaker 2: Well, you and yours have a great Thanksgiving, Happy, happy Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Happy to you and yours, and let's keep it going. Just about all the problems we got. We live at the right time and the right city, and the right country, and the right state and the right part of the world. That the problems we have strength to insignificance compared to what's happening in Nigeria, for example, or what's happening to women in Afghanistan. What we're experiencing here is the first world problems. And Governor, you and yours, we.
Speaker 2: Have a lot to be thankful for. Bill. Actually right, that's a good You're a good lawyer, and that's a good closing argument. I think you're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Governor, God bless you. Let's continue more. As I said, I had more fun in the seventies when I was in my twenties than in the twenties. In my seventies, but I'm still still kicking it on news radio seven hundred ww