Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begune.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're got to running back.
Speaker 1: To get him on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Last day, Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eleven thirty tonight here on Am five to seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers returned home and had a four to nothing lead in the seventh inning, but squander it and the Cubs scoring six unanswered runs to beat the Dodgers tonight six to four. A disappointing night for the Dodger bullpen, which has been struggling of late. The Dodger bullpen has given up twenty runs in the last eighteen innings of work. Couple that with a lot of key guys in this lineup struggling right now. First and foremost, ta Oscar Hernandez, who is two for his last twenty eight after going oh for four tonight show, he Otani, the Dodgers' leadoff hitter, struck out three times Tonight was oh for three. He's two for his last twenty. Andy Paez, who started off the season red hot, has cooled off. He's four for his last twenty seven. And Kyle Tucker hasn't gotten on track at all. He is seven for his last thirty. Tucker against his former team tonight oh for three with a walk. So you couple that many key players in the lineup struggling with a bullpen that is struggling right now, you'll get a team that has lost five of his last seven eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number coming up. Later in the show, we'll check in with Jose Mota. We'll get you an update on Mookie Beds and when he may return. And also i'll let you hear my questions to Craig Council about his comments last week in Chicago about wanting to change an unfair quote Otani rule.
Speaker 3: So we'll get to that as well.
Speaker 2: But for the Dodgers, a disappointing night, and look the three guys they brought in those are there, guys.
Speaker 3: Those are the.
Speaker 2: High leverage relievers. Tanner Scott yesterday saved a game in San Francisco, not an easy task. So I'm not gonna say the sky's falling when it comes to Tanner Scott, but I felt like his attention was more on Pete Crow Armstrong at first base than where it needed to be with Dansby Swanson at the plate, and I kind of had a bad feeling, especially with the momentum that was on the cut side, with the big lead that PCA was taking the way Tanner Scott was paying a lot of attention to him, made a bad pitch, fastball right down the middle, and as Tanner Scott said yesterday, I threw way too many pitches last year middle middle and major league hitters will hit that out well. Dansby Swanson proved that to be true because that's where that pitch was, and it was a no doubter or way over the home run seats in left field for the go ahead two run home run which gave the Dodgers, or gave the Cubs a six to four lead and a six to four win for the Dodgers. They've been beaten now by the opposing team's number nine hitter twice in the last three games. If you go back to the middle game of that series against the Giants, the number nine hitter Patrick Bailey hit the go ahead three run home run in the seventh inning off of Jack Dryer in a scoreless tie. And then you have Dansby Swanson, the number nine hitter for the Cubs tonight, hitting a go ahead two run home run in the ninth inning and driving in four of the cubs six unanswered runs tonight. So, uh, that also doesn't sit well with anybody with the Dodgers. Eight six, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number for me. The two players of the game for the Dodgers tonight was the Battery Emmitt Sheen and Will Smith. Emmit Sheen had his best start of the season tonight, getting into the seventh inning. Uh, was over the one hundred pitch limit in that seventh inning, came out with one out in the seventh, and he had a career high ten strikeouts, and that's when things started to unravel. Vesia was able to get Carson Kelly out for the second out of the seventh with a four to nothing lead, and then all of a sudden the wheels came off as soon as he walked Pete Crow Armstrong on four pitches. That's when this entire game changed, and the Cubs were able to score a six unanswered runs to beat the Dodgers six to four and win their tenth straight game and the Dodgers in second place. Now the Cubs and Dodgers have the same record at seventeen and nine. So look, the Dodgers are doing fine, but this happens during the course of a season, and right now it's happening to the Dodgers. They've lost five of their last seven. And will Smith made two great tags as the Dodgers threw out two Cubs runners at the plate tonight. In the fourth inning, Michael Bush on a great throw ninety five miles an hour from Andy Poz, and then in the eighth inning, Ian Happ, trying to score from first base in a tied game, was thrown out Pahz to Kim to will Smith, and so the Dodgers threw out two runners. Will Smith got a big strikeout for Emid Shean challenging a ball strike call with the ABS that ended the sixth inning, and he hit a three run home run in the third inning, So for me, it was Will Smith and Emma Sheen that were the stars of the game for the Dodgers. By the way, in that seventh inning, not only do things start to open up for the Cubs, but then in the bottom of the seventh inning, the Dodgers had a chance to regain momentum, but Andy Pie has hit a ball down the right field line that Saya Suzuki did not play well, but instead of stopping at second with the leadoff double, Piz was thrown out at third. And you're always taught you don't want to make the first or last out at third base or home plate, and that's exactly what happened. And then momentum on the Cubs side. A ground ball that ricochet's off of Michael Bush, goes to the second baseman, Nico Horner. He makes a great throw to the winning pitcher, Tonight, the reliever Tonight Ryan rollas In and Kim, the speedy Kim was beaten to the bag and there's two outs nobody on. So right there in that seventh inning, uh, as Stu Lance likes to say on the Lakers broadcast, mister momentum changed jerseys He went from wearing a Dodger jersey to a Cubs jersey in that seventh inning. Eight six six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones for the first time tonight, Mike and Carson. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 4: Mike, Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Dave?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Just to just to man that that seventh bens Andy.
Speaker 3: You are rattled. Mike, the game and you are rattled.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've been dis frustrated with the April loss in a while, but you know, when you're blowing leads like this, it's you have a chance to tack onto the one run lead. I think Andy Pojez was he needs to stay at second base and let the ny unfold and trust the guys behind him. And that's that's all I got. You know, David's that was a game.
Speaker 2: Actually, you think, uh, here's something else to Pie has been thrown out at third base and the top of the seventh inning, he leaped up at the wall to try to rob Dansby Swanson of what turned out to be a triple. I think he was frustrated with himself because he thought he should have caught that, and then he tried to do too much in the bottom of the seventh inning, being overly aggressive, trying to stretch that double into a triple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure. I mean, you know, fitz Lawyer is a part of the game. But when you're when the Cubs are just driving with the momentum and you you're you're as hot as Andy Pie is at the plate.
Speaker 6: You know, he's not hot.
Speaker 2: He's actually not hot. He's four for his last twenty seven. He's not hot anymore.
Speaker 4: We need what we need him to be. All those guys do Tuckers Show and those guys just you know, maybe maybe it's April, so I don't know, but.
Speaker 3: It is April.
Speaker 2: It is April, and they have a pretty good record, So all is well, Mike.
Speaker 3: It was a disappointing loss.
Speaker 2: It was a messy loss, but the Dodgers are doing just fine with a seventeen and nine record.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the phone call, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number Ken in Newport Beach. Wow, not surprising you would have your first appearance on Dodger Talk after a loss like this Ken, How you doing?
Speaker 6: Hey? You know, this is one heck of a day, one of the great Laker comebacks ever, and then a disappointing Dodger loss all in once. I don't know if I'm going left or right, and you know, all over the place. I'm just a little point here. Thirty one strikeouts in twenty six games, eleven RBIs two thirty seven average, last five games won eighty He's got such a worst beverage on the team. What in the world is going on with Otani? He looks horrible at that three more strikeouts tonight. I'm concerned a little bit about him, don't you.
Speaker 2: Well he told me in Toronto he has not felt good at the plate this month, and he feels like by May he's going to start feeling like himself again. And if you look at his May from last year, he hit more home runs in that month than he did in any other month last year. So I'll just take his word for it. But yeah, he doesn't look like Otani. I mean, when was the last time Otani struck out and his helmet fell off? That just tells you how far off he is right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, he's off balance.
Speaker 3: And he's trying to pull everything.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's wide open when he's swinging. But you know, thirty one strikeouts in twenty six games. That's not good. But you know, Dodgers will be fine. Clubs are a good team, but you know, the kind of start hitting and they're relieving is really killing him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's just happening at the wrong time when you have four key guys that are in a slump right now. So hopefully that changes tomorrow against Colin Ray, who's been pretty good. So we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the phone call, can appreciate it. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Yeah, I know, we talked about it in San Francisco on the days that O'tani pitches. He's not that great hitting in sixty four at bats with the Dodgers. But if we're just looking at twenty twenty six, he's been in a little bit of a funk here in the month of April, the last two and a half weeks, and tonight it just he was trying to pull everything. He didn't look comfortable in the batter's box. Like I just said, I can't remember the last time I saw show Hey Otani strikeout and his helmet fell off, So that just kind of tells you where he's at right now. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five is the phone number. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers give up six unanswered runs to the Cubs tonight and fall six to four in the first game of this three game series against Chicago, and then you got Roki Sasaki tomorrow, and you never know what you're gonna get with him. Hopefully he could be efficient. And I feel like that also played into the decisions Dave Roberts made with his bullpen. You look at the guys he used tonight, Scott pitching on back to back days, but Trina Invesia had not pitched since last Sunday in Colorado, So if you're not gonna use them tonight, when you're gonna use them to close out the game, It was just unfortunate that PCA walked on four pitches with two outs, and that kind of changed the complexion of this game. And that'll happen with two outs. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go up to Johnny, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Johnny, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine, Johnny. The Dodgers are are doing all right. Just the frustrating loss tonight.
Speaker 7: Frustrating. That was ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I mean you didn't see that coming.
Speaker 7: Huh No, I mean you know we're coming off a hot streak all of a sudden.
Speaker 4: A series?
Speaker 3: Are we coming off a hot streak?
Speaker 7: We were?
Speaker 3: Now they lost two out of.
Speaker 2: Three in San Francisco and split four in Denvers. Yeah, so I wouldn't say they came home without that.
Speaker 7: I mean, how strong?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 7: Show Hey needs to do something. I don't know what's going on, but you know he needs to find his rhythm. It's just like I.
Speaker 2: Say, Johnny, if I was able to put you in front of show Hey, O'toni, what advice would you give him to snap out of this two for twenty slump?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Stop trying to hit everything and stop swinging up his just relax, focus and get it done. You know you're paying four hundred something million dollars a.
Speaker 6: Year for.
Speaker 2: Come on right, Johnny, I'll be I'll be sure to pass along those hitting tips. Thanks a lot for the phone call, boy. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I wonder how o'tani would receive those hitting tips from the car right there, Thanks, Johnny. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue more of your phone calls. And also you'll hear my question, my Q and a time with Craig Counsel, the man that was whining about the Otawni rule next last week, I gave him a chance to clear the air.
Speaker 3: You'll hear that next.
Speaker 2: And also we'll check in with Jose Mota and get you an update on Mookie bets and when the heck he may return to this Dodger lineup that needs him. The Dodgers fall to the Cubs tonight six to four on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com hand on the iHeartRadio app back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 3: Will Smith has been a terrific clutch hitter. Let's see what he can do with too on. There's a fly ball the right field and deep back o Suzuki.
Speaker 7: To the wall and is gone.
Speaker 3: A home run, Will Smith, when you're hot, You're hot, a three run blast. It's his third home run of the year.
Speaker 8: He's knocked in fourteen and the Dodgers lead three nothings.
Speaker 2: Will Smith coming up big in the third inning. After show Heyotani and Freddie Freeman could not deliver and drive in those runs or even move them over. Will Smith comes up with a huge three run home run with two outs in that third inning off of Jamison tie On. Unfortunately, the Dodgers squander a four nothing lead and the Cubs beat them tonight six to four. Chicago has won ten in a row for the first time since their miracle twenty sixteen season. Daniel Jewlers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit a five seventy LA sports dot Com. Use the keyword home run and enter your name.
Speaker 3: Daniel S. Jewlers own the Dream. Eight six six.
Speaker 2: Nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodger talk with you until the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 3: Will check in with Jose Mota in ten minutes.
Speaker 2: You'll get an update on Mookie Bets and when he may return. But I want to get to my question and answer time with Craig Council during his media session before the game.
Speaker 3: Now we read.
Speaker 2: Did not hear because haven't seen it on camera or audio. We read what Craig Council had to say out of the blue, out of nowhere, five years too late, after Major League Baseball made the Otani rule where he is designated as a two way player, not a position player, not a pitcher, but a two way player, so he doesn't count against the pitching staff's thirteen maximum limit when it comes to roster construction. And also part of the Otani rule is he can stay in as the DH after he's removed.
Speaker 3: As the starting pitcher.
Speaker 2: So all of a sudden, Craig Council, out of nowhere from Wrigley Field comes up and says he wants the Otani rule to be looked at. He wants it changed. It's unfair. None of us knew the context of all that. I mean, where's this coming from? So that was part of my question to Craig Council, and that's where things started between me and the Cubs manager.
Speaker 8: I don't know, I'm I have no idea if it's Scott traction or not.
Speaker 9: It has gotten some traction, but just curious, like what prompted that answer now, Craig.
Speaker 8: Well, it was I answered a different question actually, so the question I answered had nothing to do with that.
Speaker 7: So I was.
Speaker 8: Answering different questions. But what sometimes happens is when you answer a question, whatever's more interesting about your answer is the part that gets printed.
Speaker 9: Do you feel like it is an unfair advantage?
Speaker 8: It's Look, this is not a Dodger thing. It's not an otaw thing. It is a bad rule. Which part of the rules?
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 8: I mean, you guys figured it out. You figured you It's a good discussion. It's a it's an interesting discussion, and I think that that there's it's worth discussing too.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's worth discussing. But he's the one that brought this up out of nowhere, and he won't discuss it or answer the questions. And I could tell you this, virtually every member of the LA Baseball media that was here today was in the cups, dugout to hear or I would imagine ask Craig Council some of the same questions that I had, as you can hear. I give everybody some time to follow up on my questions, and nobody did. But they're writing stories and using the quotes from all that. So you're a You're welcome America media for all those clicks.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I also asked Dave Roberts before today's game if he was surprised about the traction that Counsel's comments have gotten because Ken Rosenthal wrote a story off of it today and an anonymous Baseball operations person agreed with Counsel, So obviously there is some traction.
Speaker 3: And Dave Roberts gave me a better answer.
Speaker 5: Not surprised. That's kind of what happens these days, you know, when you say certain things. Yeah, it was just more of and I don't think he meant it really maliciously. I mean, they're going through it on the pitching side. But again, this is this is a rule that's applicable to show. Hey, it's not a Dodger rule, right, I mean this is this was implemented when he was with the Angels, and so yeah, but not surprising because he's a very important player, so it gets a lot of attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And now he's getting a lot more attention because he's on a team that's extremely relevant instead of languishing in Anaheim. And when he was languishing in Anaheim, nobody cared about this rule. Creig Council didn't care about it in Milwaukee. I mean, he must have been simmering on this for a long time. And look, what are the Dodgers supposed to do. Are they supposed to taxi an extra pitcher to be activated on the days that Otani is pitching and then deactivate him just to conform to whatever Creig Council believes should be the number for a pitching staff. You know, if Creig Council really wanted to make a stink about the Otani rule, he's picking the wrong side of it. I could see opposing teams being more frustrated with the fact that he stays in the game as a DH even though he's removed as the starting pitcher. Now I pose this question on Twitter slash x what the solution would be instead of just throwing out a problem or a gripe or a complaint, and of all people, Justin Turner replied, and he just said, why not change the number of pitchers a team can have on their roster. If they're that upset about Otani having the two way designation, why not add it to fourteen pitchers. I mean, I guess that's fine. But here's the thing. The reason why Major League Baseball put that in place is because Otani is the most unique player in the history of modern baseball.
Speaker 3: Forget about Babe Ruth.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, we're talking about modern baseball, the most unique player. He's not a hitter and he's not just a pitcher. That's why he has the two way designation. And yes, that was an advantage for any team that signed show hey Otani, and look I gave Craig camp. The reason why I went there to ask him or here's somebody else ask him these questions was not a gotcha moment. It wasn't about going viral or saying I gotcha. I just wanted to give him the opportunity to clarify the context of his answer and maybe expand on why he believes the Otawi rule is bad. But he chose not to, and he said, it's a great discussion. So that's what I do here every night. I discuss things. Eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Cubs tonight, six to four. Let's go out to Lakewood. Ron You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing, ron Hey?
Speaker 10: Pretty good? Pretty good? Very concerned about the Dodger bullpen. You know, besides the injuries. You know, the last four games started, pitchers only gave up I think tour in runs and bullpen you know, gave up the rest Dodger's only one of those games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the reason why Dave Roberts is letting his starters go deeper into games. You saw glass Now go eight innings yesterday in San Francisco. You let you saw Sheehan go into the seventh inning for the first time this season. So he's acutely aware of the bullpen struggles recently. But these are the guys they have until Brock Stewart comes back, until Bruce star Gratorol comes back. And look, it was just a bad night for Tanner Scott, who's been pretty good this year, and IVESSI has been pretty good this year.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I know, And maybe it's past things. I just don't feel real comfortable with anybody in the bullpen really, just I just I just don't feel comfortable, you know, like, hey, okay, this guy's lights out.
Speaker 3: And well, I'll say this.
Speaker 2: I'll say that a lot of the guys in the bullpen has been used a lot the last three years because the Dodgers have been playing more games than anybody else. But you know, Vesia has been one of the best relievers in baseball the last six years, at the very least the last three or four years. Blake trin In did not look good in his last appearance, did not look great tonight. I'll give you that. But Tanner Scott has looked pretty good. And I'll say this, the loss of Edwin Diaz is huge, whether or not anybody wants to admit that or not, it's huge because you can work backwards, start counting out out backwards, and without him, it's a it's a huge hole not having that closer, and that's the reason why the Dodgers went out there and signed him.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and but I'm thinking, man, you know, Dodger's got a lot of these really good farm hands where there's nowhere to put him. You know, maybe they should go out and get some bullpen help, you know, trade trade some of these guys.
Speaker 2: Told you some bullpen helps on the way. Some injured pitchers are coming back. So and these guys are pretty good. I mean, they're not going to be perfect every night run. They're just in a little bit of a slump. And unfortunately that's right now when hitters are in a slump. Thank you for the phone call. Appreciate it. Look, the bullpen is the most volatile part of any baseball team, and the Dodgers have a lot of guys down there that have done pretty well over the course of their careers and in the recent memory. So you know, tonight it was an off night for trn In, It was an off night for Scott Vesia uncharacteristically walks PCA on four pitches with two outs or this game is completely different. So, uh, just a bad night for Tryning, Vessia and tannor Scott. It's going to happen eight six, six, nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Cups score six answered runs and beat the Dodgers tonight six to four.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Hose Moda.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, there's a lot going on at Dodgers Stadium today, but let's start with what everybody's calling about the bullpen. How does Dave Roberts navigate this without Edwin Diaz.
Speaker 7: Well, people have to step up, and they're going through a little funk right.
Speaker 6: Now, you know.
Speaker 7: And there's one thing that really kind of worries me a little bit, Dave, is the fact that there's a time when a guy like town O God and say, you know what, I'm going to be the guy. I'm going to be the guy going to come to as I did yesterday at San Francisco today, too much middle, middle, as he said, just too much of the plate. And you know, these are circumstances where you playing a very good team, a hot team. Things are going well for them, and they play one through nine. Mean no doubt, they play one through nine from the lineup to the game, inning through inning. But you got to make better pictures. Now. What I'm looking at is usually we say you are as good as your starting rotation is.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 7: Well, the star rotations are really good, and the Dodgers have been just okay with a star rotation. The way it is because the offense does not responded well and then the offenses respond well, you don't tack on any runs. This is what happens with your bullpen ig. It's more exposed and the guys are allowed to have a bat night here and there. But because the offense is not a tacking on runs, Davis all connected one thing to the other. But the wave that you're writing with starting pitcher is what you want to see right now. Just the other guys have a compliment much better.
Speaker 2: Hey, the good way for the Dodgers ended in the seventh inning. It's incredible how much momentum changed in that seventh inning after p Crow Armstrong was walked on four pitches and then the triple by danzby Swanson where Paz goes up he thinks he should catch it doesn't and the Cubs score a run. And then in the bottom of the seventh inning, Pa haz makes the first out at third base. Those chain of events, how much did that change the way this game ended?
Speaker 7: When you are a team like the Cubs. He has mentioned the plays one through nine, and you're looking for any kind of opportunity like that, any kind of leakage on the defensive side. Glad Pious, this didn't happen in games said of the World Series, they all standing play the ball hit the side of his glove tonight, which is very strange with Pious. He still played a solid centerfield with the throws and then the other relay throw. But for the Cubs going about them, you know, DENIZI. Swanson is not a guy that we is going to be hitting ninth. They're trying to just kind of, you know, lighting the load on him a little bit more. But he's still a guy that can go out there and hurts you with a home run. As we were mentioned during the game, this guy's got twenty seven two ns in the season. And today, even after a tough start, is by the pitch gets right into the game right away, a little bit more and courtious pitches, but overall, momentum is big Davis you mentioned, and the Cubs knew exactly how to capitalize, and they wanted to turn the line up around, go to Niko Horner and then to Michael Bush, and that's what happened.
Speaker 2: The Cubs beat the Dodgers tonight six to four. Jose Modes joining us on Dodger Talk, I went through the four Dodgers that are in the deepest of slumps right now. Uh, sho hal Tani three more strikeouts tonight?
Speaker 3: Oh for three?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 3: How does he get out of this? Jose?
Speaker 2: Because he just hasn't looked like himself the last two and a half weeks.
Speaker 7: When I was listening to you, I went back to look at my notes from last season, Dave. At this point last season, we were talking about one war for Shohil Tani poster. That's what he talks about when you talk about balance, That's what he talks about when he talks about weight shift that he talks about. His pot sture is not where he needs to be right now. His bat is not standing in the zone like at all. Show usually does not hit like key balls, you know, like and today he did one off the left side because he is pulling away so much fut of baseball, And I'm going to tell you exactly what this is related to. It is David Peterson hitting him in the right shoulder. Go back and look and show his numbers since that pick, and he is a much different hitter. And we've seen this happen before. We see him get away and get back on his heels where he doesn't cover home plate, and that's why he's pulling off. Even when he's taking pitches b Luke, sometimes he's like bleaching a little bit because he's not comfortable just staying in and having that bat drag from the zone. So one thing relates to the other. His posture needs to be in line to the middle of the field. When it's not and he flies open, the bat just stays in the zone way too short for him, producing damage. And hopefully he understands he's been through this before and starts waiting in the ball, not afraid to get jamped, not afraid to get pitches inside, which he has been in his entire life, and just react to making better decisions the batter's box. But that bat needs to stand the zone a little bit longer, and it starts with his posture.
Speaker 3: As he says, that makes so much sense.
Speaker 2: And I saw him in his last at bat where he took a bad swing and he was pounding the back leg, you know, just trying to tell himself something about that back leg and maybe that's related to what you're describing as far as the posture and maybe staying back and you know, it just doesn't seem like it's happened so far.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know this, stay through the zone a little bit longer with your bat, keep the battle in a little bit longer. It's kind of a modern term, but it really is nothing magical or new in baseball. It's just in new way of describing that you're not covering the ball, you're not covering the zone. That's better as good as you should, I should say, And tels Cardan is going to the same thing. You know, sometimes they call a leakage from the backside. When you're leaking from the backside, everything goes forward and you're not able to keep the bat in a good zone and make better decisions your ball. Your eyes are moving, the ball is moving when it's I'm not supposed to move that much, and then you're chasing pitches out of the zone. Just a little fun here or label that. You know, you make six hundred pearances at home play in the big leagues and you're going to be exposed right now. A couple of guys are getting exposed because of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I noticed ta Oscar, Hernandez and San Francisco started to go to an open stance. Is that kind of a bad thing to do when you're ta Oscar and you've had so much success to start changing just because you're in a slump.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's strange to see that because Tail really, when he goes through stuff like this, he's more of a handsitter. But I haven't seen the hands work very well for the last ten days or so. For Tail to open up like that, to me, knowing tales as he got to the bigs of the Astros way back then, it just creates too much movement for him to get to what needs to be the land and track the baseball. I'm sure maybe is because if you open up, usually, David's because you want to face the picture a little bit more with your eyes. Does that mean not seeing the ball? Well, perhaps that's what he's trying to do a little bit better. But opening up usually causes more problems because what happens is you're not used to it. You've got to time yourself to close your stands, get back to what you know, what feels natural, and before that you're thinking way too much about movement and leg and closing up. And then there comes to baseball in ninety seven to ninety eight and nasty sliders, and you're not gonna be able to get to us. So hopefully you've got to actually spread out a little bit more when she's on the past, spread out, be a good two strike hitter and go out there and give your team more team bats. And overall this team need to go to the same mentality, give better team at bats at this point.
Speaker 3: All right, Hose, thanks a lot for checking in. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We'll see you back out here at the ballpark tomorrow afternoon.
Speaker 7: Always they're just a little blit up here and there. All good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: It can't be perfect, can't win all one hundred and sixty two. There it goes. Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Luis Cochito Cruz. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Cubs tonight, six to four. Happy to be back in La though, so I could drive my beautiful Hyundai Tucson from my friends at downy Hunday, win or lose, I'll be driving that downy Hunday to Dodgers Stadium the rest of the season. Now, before we say good night, I want to give you that update on Mookie bat because Dave Roberts gave it to us before the game. Here is the latest on Mookie Beds, who has been out over two weeks with the right oblique string.
Speaker 5: BP from a coach in the cage. Now, so that's a good thing. He says he doesn't feel it swinging the bat, throwing. There was a little bit of a couple of days ago when I talked to him, he was running. He said he felt it a little bit. My assumption is he'll go out on a rehabits on it and take a couple of games to get him at bats, get his legs back. He's getting closer, you know, Is it you know next weekend that he goes out? Is it you know a week from you know, Monday? I don't know, but I know that each day it's gotten a lot better. So we're really encouraged.
Speaker 9: You Flip and Tucker and Freddie, does that change anything when Mookie returns about where he.
Speaker 5: May be, where he may be thinking, about him now, you know it does it doesn't. I think that it's more of you know, that's more what I talked about the other day is versus right handed pitching number one and number two. It's I'll have a conversation with Mooki and feel and figure it out whether I put him in the three or the five. But that's probably the two options.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, there you go three or five when Mooki bets return. So we'll see when all that happens. But he's got to get back first. I think we all forget about Mooki Bets, but the Dodgers need him. They need him at shortstop, they need him in the lineup. His presence is huge, and you can't forget about how important he is to this Dodger lineup. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk Tomorrow a four fifteen start, Roki Sasaki will be on the mound going up against Colin Ray. Our coverage begins at three o'clock with Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck and like I'm mentioned, first pitch at four fifteen with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson. And tomorrow is the fiftieth anniversary of Rick Monday saving the American flag right here at Dodger Stadium, wearing a Cubs uniform. That was his last year with the Cubs and he was playing center field that afternoon when he made that great play. And tomorrow, before the game, the Dodgers are going to honor and salute our very own Rick Monday for making that great play fifty years ago tomorrow, and my understanding is the flag that he saved is going to be headed to Cooperstown and Baseball's Hall of Fame, and the president of the Baseball Hall of Fame is going to be at Dodgers Stadium tomorrow, Josh Rawich, and is going to join Rick and Steven in the booth during the game. So we're going to celebrate Rick Monday tomorrow, and hopefully the Dodgers can celebrate him with a win to beat the Cubs. Thanks to Colinie back at our Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case to any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app and that's also where you can find our pregame conversation with Freddie Freeman once again. The final score tonight, the Dodgers fall to the Cubs six to four.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to you tomorrow, sealal and so braf.
Speaker 4: It's true
Speaker 10: Away