Speaker 1: Friday mornings here Scott Sloan on seven hundred WLW, so this week and you're probably gonna spend a lot more time in front of devices than you do during the week, right just because you're not working hopefully and you yourself.
Speaker 2: On average, you have around twenty one devices which are online in various places throughout the day, all of them using data pretty much all the time. And with the AI boom comes the need for more data centers. Thus the debate so here in the Tri State, the debate over regulations being fought tooth and nail. And if you don't think this affects you, it's probably coming to your area, no matter if you live in the city or in the outlining area special rural areas Ohio. Right now we're fifth nationally for data center development. We want to be number one. The state. ESUS is an economic machine force to get us on the technology well at the top of the technology map. I guess City of Cincinnati's you may or may not know, it's getting very proactive. They just put a temporary moratorium on data centers in the city while they do a zoning study. Adams County. Last night there was another meeting over well, we really don't know. This is probably the most interesting battle over data centers is that adding the controversy over these plants comes a plan here in Adams County that's completely secret because Economic Development director signed a non disclosure y agreement and nobody really knows what it's going to be, where it's going to go, and what it's going to do. Other than that, everything's great. Alex shafers here, Alex is a resident and he's proactive in the process of finding out if this is right for his community, and he's out in Adams County and the Monroe Township and joins the show this morning. Alex, welcome, are you brother? Yeah, good to have you. So last night there was a meeting and I know basically the bottom line is you're not going to do a more toim like City Cincinnati has, but you're going to make sure there's some strict zoning regulations in place. So it's it's progressing, it's moving forward.
Speaker 3: It's progressing, it's moving forward. There's a lot of community input last night, and essentially the role of the trustees now within the township is they are going to work with outside legal counsel to put in the framework for zoning, you know, within these industrial areas within the township, because everybody was on the same page where we have to get more information, we have to have more facts, and more importantly, we have to know even who these people are that are wanting to come in and what they're wanting to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what raised the red flags for you about these projects and what motive motivated you to get involved.
Speaker 3: You know, these sites at Stewart and Killing Station, Killing is in and Roe Township have been empty for roughly eight years since the power plant shut down, and a lot of that has to do with the site cleanup. And those were the economic drivers of our county, and Adams County is such a prideful, beautiful countryside, but those were the economic drivers that really our community was built around. So it is these are general generational issues that we have in our county and we want to make sure that we're doing the right things. So not only us, but our children and our grandchildren are proud to continue to live and remain in Adams County.
Speaker 2: So this isn't completely going. Hey, we don't want a data center, we don't want any of this stuff. Stay the hell out of our town.
Speaker 3: No, I would say everyone is of the mindset where as I would akin these NDAs too that mister Worley signed is you're essentially agreen to get married before you've even seen who you're going on a date with. So you know, we need to have more facts, and we need to know exactly who these companies are. Are they are they you know, companies based in the US, so are they foreign based companies? And you know what exactly the plans are because there's so many different variables that come into play.
Speaker 2: And I think that's a critical point because in this particular case, and we'll get into the NDA battle in just a second. And Paul Worley, I believe is the Economic Development director for Adams County, he signed out with a company. But you guys have no idea on you know, the size and scope of the project, the exact location. I mean, you could kind of figure that out maybe with EPA records, but if you don't know the company, you don't know even if it's a data center or the type of services they offer before this thing goes in.
Speaker 3: So the projects that are being proposed in Spring Township are a little bit further along, specifically, at Stewart seite, and there's also Buck Canyon site which is across the road too soon in Row is very much earlier on in the process, which is very fortunate. And so that's precisely it. You know, we we have to have more information on this because they're I mean, it's just it's a black hole right now for the county.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the Economic Development director signs this non disclosure agreement with a couple of companies and says, we've got to do this and they'll be transparency if the project gets to a point. So, you know, how do you respond to residents like yourself being asked to wait for details until the deals are newly finalized. What point is it too late for meaningful public input?
Speaker 3: I think that starts at the time that you actually signed the NDAs. You know, Paul Whorley executed two NDAs, one in January of twenty twenty four, the other one was in November of this year, and based on my tracing them, it's my opinion that they are linked to Amazon because the framework around the NDAs is the same as what's going on in Mount War right now in Brown County. And you know, to that point, and I had raised this issue in discussions with some of the commissioners on Monday. Is Paul Worley serves at the pleasure of the Board of Commissioners in Adams County. So how is the Board of Commissioners able to oversee Paul discharging his job duties for the board and thus in the best interest of the county if they cannot even monitor what he is working on. Who is who he is working with on these sites?
Speaker 2: Sure, but from the company standpoint, be it Amazon or whatever it might be, we don't know. At this point. He's kind of like the conduit. So in these deals, you get a guy like him, an economic development guy, signs a non disclosure agreement with whoever's building this thing, which is kind of standard practice because you know, they want to keep the secret for as long as pass from the competition because there's a lot of proprietary technical information of all. But the people who don't sign it would be the the elected lawmakers, right that would be the county commissioners of Adams County. And so at some point there's going to have to be a you know, disclosure so that you can you can vote on this. So based on that is this anything? Is this? Is this different than how it's done elsewhere? Not that it makes it right, but you know what I'm saying is like, if this is standard practice, I get why Amazon or whoever is trying to protect their interests here because you know, you don't want all this information out there until you get a deal kind of put together.
Speaker 3: The debate on whether NDA is a standard practice or not really dependent on who you ask. I can tell you in certain areas and Columbus, which Columbus has over one hundred data centers right now, is not the most standard practice. And to your point about competition, that is actually what NDAs specifically inhibit. My degree is in economics from Ohio State University, and when you put an NDA in place, that prohibits you from even looking at other alternatives as to those sites and those developments, thus reducing competition. What happens when you reduce competition, you harm the consumer. Who's the consumer here, the residents of Adams County.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I get the argument, and you guys, you definitely should have a hand in the process here. We don't want government just going out. No, we know what's best, and that's it doesn't work that way, county officials there will switch to the jobs saying, they said, well, seven hundred seven hundred jobs lost with the power plant closures there in Adams County. Another five and a half million from a school funding gets pulled off because as they said, look, I've got hey, listen, this is going to help support the tax space here. But as I understand it, data centers are obviously exempt from property taxes because it's commercial. What about the job creation now, So.
Speaker 3: Job creation, the studies have shown that you have to have roughly twenty million dollars of capital input costs to create one full time job. So if you have a billion dollar data center development, you are only going to create roughly fifty jobs, Whereas if you look at other industrial usages for that site that actually provide you know, not only additional jobs and infrastructure and increase land value for the community. You are actually specifically targeting a broader workforce, the technical skill set of the workforce that we have in Adams County. And it's also then benefiting the community for people to work there and also the school districts in terms of the generation of those taxes from the payroll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what about the element of what about then this is you know, the t love the trades, but there's been like over a thousand, around one thousand construction jobs for up to five years, and some of those would have to be in place for maintenance because a minute you finished this huge project and to take you three years, you're going to start having to refit some areas that were done three years ago because it's technology to change as rapidly. So some of the estimates say, you know, maybe one hundred million plus in local wages, one thousand, two thousand workers, eighty percent of those will be in radius of where you live. Those jobs are nothing to some of your nose.
Speaker 4: At there are nothing good.
Speaker 5: Some of your knows that.
Speaker 3: But I think you have to look at the actual data in terms of the payroll. And I've talked about this with David Gifford, the county auditor, who's a good friend of mine. And you know, when people try and say these auxiliary jobs that are created in the permanency of them, the numbers simply do not support that in the payroll records, and the auditor has that, and I think you also overall, with these data centers in the job creation, you have to look at what's happening in the Greater Columbus area with Intel, where essentially Mike Dwine sold the farm to Intel and we had and the plants were supposed to open last year, and they were all these financial incentives and benchmarks that were supposed to be met by them. They have not might have the option to enforce those agreement last year, and he basically said, no, it's okay. You know, you can do whatever you want here in Ohio. So what would make the situation any different in appal Asha areas?
Speaker 5: And now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But at the same time, you look at it and go, are there industries that are are knocking at the door and trying to get their way into Adams County right now? You know, you mentioned Columbus, Cincinnati, the big cities. A lot of companies want to do business in those areas. It makes a lot of sense for reasons we don't The obvious reasons would be infrastructures are ready in place. But you know, Adams County I lost jobs, power plants. Is it kind of like you're turning your nose up with a good thing or you're trying to basically avoid a slam dunk here I mean, I think people see this and go, well, it's Adams County. It's not like and it's not being I'm not being derogatory. It's just like, there are in companies that are looking to knock the door down to Adams County at this point.
Speaker 1: Are there.
Speaker 3: No, I would disagree with that. The sites have been looked at for a multiple for a multitude of different sectors over the years. And again, I think it's important for people to remember that once the power plans close, it's not like you can just open up, you know, a new enterprise there the next day. There's so much environmental cleanup the head to be done with King Fisher Partners to come in.
Speaker 2: It's a brownfield, yeah exactly, precisely, yes, yeah, yeah, and butt Okay, so there's some infrastructure there, but people are well, well, I'd rather build something, you know. At the same time, you know, these data centers take a lot of power, so you know, put two and two together, it's pretty obvious that you want to be near water, which you have, and you want to be near you know, megawats of electricity.
Speaker 3: They're easily accessible, correct, And we do have the power grid there in place, and you know, this is something that a big Ramaswami has discussed about the strain on the power grid right now, and there's currently a House bill in place, House built six forty six sitting in the House Rules Committee in terms of actually setting a thirteen member commission to study these data centers because of the boom of them in Ohio, because of the strain on our electrical grid. So I kind of akin it to people as this is, how are we going to can continue as a society to supply the power and energy to these data centers because they are not they are they are an energy input. They are they are not an energy export if we do not have facilities in place to actually generate that power for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've talked about this a lot of my show Well in the Future, And you know, you're in the tech sector as well, So it's not like you know, your lutt your scrim at the old man, scream at the clouds and saying damn computers go away, right, I mean you lean we all lean into it. We're all and it's it's such a paradox, right, Alex, because we're all guilty of this. We all have devices. I mean, we're talking you know digitally. Right now I'm recording you digitally. It's going into a cloud. And so we're guilty of this ourselves right now. We have no choice but to figure out a way we can all live with us absolutely.
Speaker 3: And you know, my company uses you know, cloud servers, and you know, we have to have them as socide and we have to have them also in terms of national intelligence and also being independent from you know, foreign control. And I think we all saw what happened with COVID when manufacturing shut down and the rest of the world look that, you know, Oh my god, look how the pendent we are upon China. So you know, that is definitely, you know, a great point. And that's the thing I think everyone's standpoint is we are not saying no to data centers overall, but in terms of specifically the locations and the phases in which you possibly would put those in and where you would put those in at is what the biggest concern is with not having any information from these companies.
Speaker 2: The number one of the biggest outside of transparency the politics of it, which generally they tend to settle down at some point. What's the biggest concern for residents would you say there Alex Schaeffer and Adam's count over this.
Speaker 3: I would say specifically where they're proposing it is, you know, the landscape in you know, the southern part of Adams County, the hills and the river and everything is what makes Adams County beautiful. And also, you know, you know, the side effects that you have from the data center's long term is something that again we don't know about. So if the state is at the process to where they're looking at creating a thirteen member committee to study those effects, then us as Adams County should sit here and look at it and say, okay, if this is a broader issue at the state and obviously the national level, you know, we don't have the ability as a small community to fight this later on down the road. So we don't want to make the wrong decision now that we look back ten years and we're like, what did.
Speaker 2: We do right? It's hard because you know, you're at the tip of the spirit at this point. There are not many other piers you can look at that have been doing this for you twenty years and see what the long term effects are. You got to make a decision that's going to impact the next hundred exactly.
Speaker 3: And you know that's that's honestly the problem in society with a lot of things, whether that's technology or medicine, and you know, we have to continue to evolve and adapt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are unforeseen consequences that no one can predict. And usually that's the case, we didn't we didn't think of that, or we didn't see that coming. Because while the world is always changing, for sure, so are the next steps here.
Speaker 3: So from around township right now, they're in the process of obtaining outside legal councils start trapped in the framework for what they want to put in for zoning. Specifically their sprig Sprig Township has a meeting I believe it is February twenty third, and there there is going to be some more information hopefully that'll come out about at that standpoint. And so overall for the county, the commissioners have promised to have more public input and a more dedicated special meeting to this. But again I think it's very important to point out, you know, in terms of these developments, the Board of Commissioners has the option and to direct mister Warley to recuse himself from these NDAs and that prevents these companies moving forward with the speed that they would like and garner that public input and have these representatives come in and talk to the community, talk to us about what their plans are and how they want to integrate themselves into our county in a way that we're proud of, just like General Electric has done with their jet engine testing facility in.
Speaker 2: People makes sense, you think Cincinnata has it right putting the moratory monus.
Speaker 3: It did, I do, and several other townships and Columbus have done that. Jerome Township, Washington Township, and the City of Dublin have done that. And they have data centers kind of around the perimeter of the City of Dublin. And because you know right now it's an arms race for data centers, it truly is, and that stems from, I believe, you know, a technological arms race with China. So again, in order for us to properly look at this for our future, and look at the side effects, and look at where we want to see these things in the landscape of our communities, we have to put the pause button in place, get more information, get more facts, and surely be able to make candidly a more educated and informed decision.
Speaker 2: Alex Schaeffer is a residence in Adams County and it's certainly one of the more interesting cases because of NDAs and land and not knowing what really is going to go and who even owns the data center for that point. But it's a great example to look at for the rest of us because Alex, as a resident is getting involved. He's being proactive in the process of finding out if it's right for his community and where he lives and breathes, he eats, and works. And that's a battles you hearing this's going well, that's Adams County, but guess what it's happening in Cincy. It's going to happen in not only the city, but it's going to happen in maybe suburban areas, but particularly rural areas, Butler County, Mount Orb. The list goes on and on and on. So it's a battle we're all going to have to face, or an issue we're going to have to face, I guess, and figure out how to to what the best practice is that it's not going away, We're going to have to put them somewhere. How do we coexist? I guess is a question. It's a great case, Alex. We'll talk again in the future, I'm sure.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming on and shedding some light on this issue.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and Scott, you know on behalf of the people of Adams County. Thank you for having me on to allow us to raise our voice on your platform into the greater Tri State area. We are truly and greatly appreciative of all.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you, brother, and again we'll talk soon. Thanks again, Thanks Scott. All right, there you go, Alex Schaeffer on the show. Yeah you hear that, you go. It doesn't really, it doesn't concern it, does it concerned? We're the ones doing it right. We use all this stuff as far as information goes in data. We're using it right now. You're using it right and we're all using it. We have no choice. This is it is what it is. It's the future too. So can we lean and make money and make Ohio a more vibrant and improve our economy because of Intel, because of AWS et cetera, et cetera. But we also have to live where these plans are too. So watching these guys, I think it's a great test case for all of us. If you Will.
Speaker 1: Anyway, We'll continue to follow that. Scott's Loan Show continues seven hundred WW.
Speaker 7: Now a man who has entertainment reporting, of course through his veins, which makes him a medical opity. He is ABC.
Speaker 5: Will Gans from New York.
Speaker 1: Hey, Will, good morning, Good morning. That sounded ominous. Good morning, Yeah, yeah, you want to try it again? Three two one, Good morning Will.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, what a Friday morning to be speaking with you.
Speaker 2: You're such a phony.
Speaker 6: I you ask I deliver. You said more energy and I.
Speaker 1: Hit the accelerator, or you just sound like I don't know your cat got run over by a dog. All right, so let's shuh, I get mad. I don't know if this is uh for telling exactly what we're going to talk about. Maybe there's just nothing good on to watch this weekend. We're kind of lulled.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: You've got a little college basketball going on, you know, Baseball hasn't started yet, so it's kind of post Super Bowl, and so like, okay, I want to catch up some shows here. This one jumped out at me and I'm not sure I want to get into it. And it's on HBO Max and it has to do with the world's worst neighbors and it's a documentary.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's a docu series.
Speaker 6: Each episode focuses on a few different pairings of the worst neighbors in the country. And so whether it is a guy from the city who moved out to the country and pisses off his neighbors because he put up a fence and now the horses can't run the same way that they used to, or it is folks down in the Panhandle of Florida who some of them think that you know, private beach, you know, private property extends all the way down to the water at the beach, and other people think, no, I can sit here with my family and set up and a blanket and lounge for the day. So it's all these different pairings of people that are just in crazy disputes.
Speaker 5: They hate each other's guts.
Speaker 6: And it I mean, it is equal parts funny, aggravating, sad sometimes. But like my main takeaway when I finished the first episode was like, oh my god, I've never been more grateful for my own neighbor.
Speaker 2: I think that's what it is. It's my old analogy about cops. It's like, why would you watch that? It's because no matter how jacked up your family and your life is at least you're not on that show. And if you're featured on that show, kill yourself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a reminder that it could always be worse.
Speaker 5: Whatever it is, it could be worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't know what that dynamic is, but it sounds a lot like that, Like, well, my neighbor's kind of a jerk, you know, because he makes a lot of but at least he's not doing.
Speaker 5: This exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: At least he's not on TikTok, you know, posting videos of how, you know, me and my wife look in the front yard or whatever like, and that's what some of these people are doing.
Speaker 5: It's just it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Well because that's a whole category on you know, YouTube TikTok. And said, insert these photos, these these videos of neighbors who are out of their minds apparently, but every things out of context. At least this has some context, I would.
Speaker 5: Think, right right this you get the full story.
Speaker 6: It's like we, you know, my husband and wife moved here for you know, my wife and I moved here from you know, Seattle, and we just wanted a little more space and all of a sudden, the neighbors.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so this you get a backstory, You get both sides of the story, which is pretty interesting.
Speaker 5: You know that one of the things about this too.
Speaker 6: I'm always like, I can't believe everybody signs up to be a part of this, right, you know, like really, but but they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. There was one on I think it was Netflix, and help me. I forget the name, and you may recall it.
Speaker 2: It was. It was in Florida. Everything good is Florida, Florida, and this this woman, this older woman, just angry at the world. And the kids would play like in an open lot next to her house and make noise, and then she would document and like take their stuff and threaten them and and uh, you know, at one point a mom went over because she was like physically touching the kid or did something, took their iPad and threw it or something like that. I mean, their kids, they're playing football or whatever, and I'd rather have that than them, you know, doing bad stuff. Anyway, she feels like they're walking on her property and she's got lines up in the camera and the whole thing. And then the mom comes and pounds on her door because she's had enough and this woman shoots her to death through the door, and it's all the whole the whole narrative, and the whole story's done on police body camps.
Speaker 5: Wow, wow, crazy, I remember this show.
Speaker 2: I don't remember the time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it was. It's like times it's hard to watch because there's little kids and she just like shoots us mom to death. Crazy lady. So you think your neighbor's bad. But we live in a what and we'll get to the other stuff in the second world. But psychologically speaking, because you're a psychologist, uh, why don't we Why do we watch this? Because the world right now is so damn depressing. Everyone complains that, you know, everyone's at each other's throats. There's so much hatred and vitriol, and yet instead of going and watching something uplifting, we watched stuff that makes us more depressed. Does that make any sense?
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, I think, you know, there's a part of it that.
Speaker 6: I think is a little bit like you know, you you do look at it and it's like a solvable problem from a distance, right, It's like, Okay, if I was in this situation, I would do this thing, and you can think about, you know, how I would solve this problem, and the stakes are non existent because you're not actually in the problem. So I think that's probably part of it. And I do think there might be a part of it that's like, Okay, my life is bad.
Speaker 2: But it's not that bad. Yeah, maybe I don't know. It's just like and that because I'm like, I don't want to watch any more depressing them around news all day. It depresses the hell I mean, And then I'll go and I'll watch I'll sit down and binge that this weekend. It just doesn't make any sense, doesn't make any sense. Yeah, as long as I'm not showing up on the show, We're good, all right, We'll dance our ABC Entertainment expert out of New York. This has my wife written all over down FX. It's called Love Story.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's a JFK Junior and Carolyn Bessett, And this is not a docu theories, so this actors playing everybody involved. And the first three episodes dropped on FX, which means you could probably watch it on Hulu or Disney Plus if you have that bundle. And it tells the love story of JFK. Junior and Carolyn Bessett starting in the early nineties all the way up through their death in ninety nine.
Speaker 5: And you know it is it's well acted.
Speaker 6: While told, it has ninety percent on Rotten Tomatoes, so critics are into it as well. And yeah, it's just a fascinating you know, Look, it's not just a recreation of the moments we know for media coverage. There's a lot of backstory here too. And you know what we were not seeing that was going on behind the scenes as these two were falling in love.
Speaker 2: Huh. And it ends with their ultimately their death And is that like, is that a culminate that.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which wasn't a pleasant way to go. But all right, that's I mean, if you're you're I guess you're fastied by the history of the Kennedys.
Speaker 1: You don't really hear that much about I mean, it was alive, you did, but you didn't really. I don't think it got that much play when up until that the time they died. You know, it's like one of those stories, Oh yeah, John John Kennedy, but you don't you don't really hear much about them.
Speaker 2: I think it's maybe it's me, I didn't follow. I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I think, you know, like all these other you know, the way we did the crown for the British royal family, I think now it's people digging into some American royalty, so to speak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and that's on FX right, yes, okay, all right. And of course the plane crash in ninety nine took their lives, and it's a I guess, you know, if you're gonna go and you're in love, that is a romantic way to go, I suppose, not that you know, certainly is untimely and unfortunate, but you know, it's it's a timely, it's it's romantic. And how they died, I suppose. And then finally, Marty Supreme is available for rent, and I recall that isn't that an wasn't that an Oscar nominated Oscar winning film?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it is nominated for several Oscars, including for Timothy Shallomey, who plays this nineteen fifties sort of ping pong prodigy who is willing to do whatever it to get to the top. And so you know, there is Pingpong in the movie, but there's a lot of like wheeling and dealing in him, you know, doing whatever he can to get money to go play in Japan, and whether it's stealing somebody's dog and returning it for ransom or lying about the ransom or whatever. It is high stress, but it is a very entertaining movie. So it is finally available to stream at home. You'll have to pay to rent it. But if you're into want to be into the Oscar conversation, you know, at work or whenever the Oscars are next month, this is definitely worth checking out.
Speaker 2: It's a busy shell man man, he's on a run. He can't do any wrong. He just came out on the seat and just took over one hundred percent.
Speaker 6: He's the youngest person to have three Oscar nominations ever.
Speaker 5: Which it's yeah, crazyright.
Speaker 2: Prodigt y aah right, And I did not know that was a theme in the movie. That sounds interesting to me, so I'm might have to check that out again. Well, gat tot ABC in New York, so HBO Max, it's neighbors killing each other. Then you got the Kennedy's dying in a plane crash, and ultimately it's Martin Supreme killing people in ping pong. So it is a death Valentine's weekend. Well, all the best, thanks for coming on. Appreciate your brother. We'll talk next Friday. All right, I have a good one, all the best.
Speaker 1: We've get a news update here seconds away, quick time out Scott's loan seven hundred wty other Scott's Loan seven hundred wit Friday morning is here.
Speaker 2: Whether it's looking good, rain moving intomorrowho cares. So it's gonna be warm. Maybe it's gonna be warm or more warm, and not just the romance? Am I right? All right? So we've got news coming about six minutes here on the show, and I'll get more into the government shutting down again, stupidity of it all. But the Save Act passed yay, But did we need it? I don't know. We'll get into that coming up at the ten o seven when it comes to non citizens voting in US elections, which we know not to be happening on a large scale, and yet we are passing laws to prevent that from happening. Even more so, where's the harm? There to be the question, and we'll get to that after a ten o six today on the show. I know a little heavier for a Friday generally light now, but don't worry. Alsten will be here a little bit later on ten thirty six. We'll talk a little sports. I know, major League Baseball making some rule changes, also a change in regime. Why not really At the Reds, Phil Castellini will be taking over for his dad Bob. We'll see what changes with the Reds, what's expected and is this really that impactful to us here in Reds Country awaiting Euenia Suarez and the Reds who, by the way, first spring training game is next week coming up. Already, here we go, here we go, Here we go sometime next week on the show. And I know for a lot of people it's a long three day weekend, President's Weekend coming up, and I'll probably do this maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. But you hear the story. You hear stories all the time. This story today's a matter of fact. We have this woman in Goshen who is charged with stealing more than three hundred thousand dollars I believe from residents over several years at this nursing home she's working at. And you hear these elder abuse in eldener neglect and elder exploitation stories all the time, and it makes sense. You know, we're living much much longer than our ancestors did, and that's a wonderful thing. But there is also a downside to that. And the downside, one of the many downsides, of course, would be the fact that you know, you start to maybe lose your cognitive functions and the like because your physical bodies holding on at the mental element beat dementia, Alzheimer's, those things. We start to see more and more of that, and so we need in this day and age two where we don't live, you know, near our parents anymore. Now, if you're on the West Side, you don't have to worry about that. You're probably still you know, they're probably live next door, upstairs or whatever. Bay it's old school on the West Side. But for you know, in America today, we generally don't live near our parents, and that president's a whole host of problems, meaning you have to farm out their care when they can no longer care for themselves. So chrase like this, for example, the other one and I want to get this. I've got an attorney I'm going to have on next week from the firm. Actually is representing the family of Robert Meyer. Remember the story. A couple of weeks ago. He was eighty four years old and he was at hospice and Blue Ash and before that he was at in Forest Hills, and he had about less than two months to live. And he was there about two months and they trans from the hospice, and hospice, as you know, only has one door and that's in.
Speaker 1: There's no out. You don't leave hospice. You die and you're taken away from hospice, just the natural progression of life. And so mister Meyer died and they attributed it to the fact that was you know, ends life stage nutrition, wasn't get enough calories and that happens.
Speaker 2: Well, you know when you pass you just you stop eating. That's natural, that's part of the natural process. Well, I guess his daughter or family members here and said he was calling. He said, listen, they're not treating me. Well, they're not treating me. Well, he had called nine one to one. Long story short, she noticed some strangulation marks around his neck, and smartly she took photographs of said ligature marks and they said, no, it's just it's part of the care. This is what happens when you get old and you're close to death, and it's an ugly thing, and no we understand it. So anyway, long story short, she finally convinced someone to check this out, and it turns out they exhumed his body. The hemliconic corner did like Shemarco, exhumed the body and discovered it wasn't end of life nutrition, it wasn't protein catalie mal nutrition. It was actually physical elder abuse. The contributing cause of death was filled her physical elder abuse and strangulation, and it changed from natural causes to homicide. So the one may ask is, how in the hell does a hospital or in this case of foreself health care, how do they not catch this? How does he go then to hospice? The hospice doctor doesn't catch this. Hospice was just not to sign off on the cause death and doesn't even include the strangulation marks. And I think to a lesser degree, maybe the funeral home no one knows there. And all the three of these subjects are named in the civil suit that the family has against those entities, and that's shoot scheduality. It is like, well, what happens if you know my mom and dad live out of state, and I see them, you know, once in a while. I can't fly to wherever it is every weekend and go see them or spend time it go as much as I can, but you know, maybe they're in care, and I've got to trust that that facility has their best interest at heart. And then of course you have countless elder people who don't have kids or family members anymore, and so or the indigent for that matter. We start to wonder how often this happens, because the problem with healthcare right now, as you know, is that there's compassion fatigue, there's burnout, there's high turnover, because well, it's got to be about private equity coming in, and it's more about how many patients you shoot, the money you're generating, how much money make it not about quality care, not about standard of care. And there's a fine line between profit and exploiting patients. And I think, I don't know if that's the case here, but that's the problem right now in healthcare, one of the problems in healthcare. So you should say it's a fascinating stuy and a tragic one at that. And it's almost like literally you never see this happening before. I mean, how many times they exoom someone and it's murder? It sounds you you think it probably happens more often, it doesn't. Extremely rare, and that happened right here in Cincinnati, and it's a it's a sobering case for sure. Anyway, we'll get into that sometime next week on the show. But I just it's almost like, you know, talking to Will Gance, it feels like almost a Netflix show or sadly you know, date line or something along those lines. Crazy.
Speaker 1: Let me get a news update in. We'll get into the Save Act that just passed, and did we actually.
Speaker 2: Needed what to do? And more importantly, what the reason why we pass something that's to prevent something that's not happening in the first place. Will make sense of it next after news on the Home of the Red seven hundred WWT Cincinnati. You know what politicians love.
Speaker 1: Questions with no answers are correct answers. Here's your choice this issue about illegals voting.
Speaker 2: You either look at it, here's your worldview, here's your choices. You either see it as Democrats just want to legal people to vote largely for them because they'll give them free stuff, or you look at it as Republicans just want to keep people from voting. Those are your choices. It's an issue of ballot security versus ballot access. Scottsland here. I bring this up because the House of Representatives have just passed the Save America Act, and as you know, that prevent non citizens from voting in US federal elections, and this is an updated version of that, adding another layer to the other layers and other layers, this time requiring federal proof of citizenship in your voter registration photo ID for federal elections and also information sharing between state and federal authorities so they verify the citizens on the voter roles, which I think it's a good stab. We often talk about lack of communication between government agencies, state and federal in particular, and this helps rectify that, so the communication between agencies, between the people doing the bidding for us that we send to represent us are actually talking to each other. We just had a great example of a failure of that yesterday with the whatever happened in El Paso with the FAA and the military, and we're going to shut down this airfield for ten days and then an hour or two later, I never mind, We're good. Wait, what what just happened here? How can that happen? Because people don't talk to each other. So the reality of this is that it's been illegal for non citizens to vote in federal elections for over a century. It's an old law. But the question that is, okay, well, our legal people vote. Are our legals voting and elections? What's the danger? And what's the data? Show what? Show me numbers, show me proof? Okay, here are the facts. So progressive thing tanks and researchers have studied the evidence these are progressives and looked at almost twenty four million votes and determine that. And by the way, they also did a number and a sizable number disproportion number. That research was in areas of high populations non citizens. Is that important? And out of the roughly twenty three to twenty four million, they found thirty instances of suspected not actual, but suspected non citizen voting. So that's like point zero zero zero one percent, very very small. Okay, but that's progressive. What doesive conservatives say? Okay? Well, conservative watchdogs study data and they found seventy instances of illegals voting since well two thousand, so over twenty five years, so somewhere between thirty and seventy out of a country of you know, three hundred and forty million people. I'd say that's pretty statistically, that's pretty good. They also said, and this is again this from Heritage Foundation, pretty conservative. Many of those cases were actually lawful permanent residents who were pulled by a government official or a voting authority that they were eligible and they weren't. So they asked, and they said, oh yeah, yeah, you can vote in terms that they couldn't vote. So number of those cases of a seventy so there's an even an astrois next to that. The fact of the matter is whether you're left, right or independent, it doesn't happen. Statistically speaking, it doesn't happen, and certainly not enough to swing an election. Okay, and both the left and the right know that's true. So how do you get to how does this actually become a thing. Well, it's you know, a great example of the politics of exaggeration and confirmation by So you ask yourself, is the risk of non citizen voting significant enough to justify more documentation requirements that may make registration harder for eligible citizens. He said, you know your answer, and the onset depends on which concern you see how you see what your world view is. Do you see fraud prevention as the real danger or do you see voting assets is a real danger. And it's either you know, Dems want oh the Democrats, they want to legals to vote, it helps them, or oh the dead and Republicans, you know, they just want to prevent people of color, people poor people from voting. So depending on world view, that's your answer. And is there a right answer to this?
Speaker 1: Not really, because I look at it, going okay, well, very very few, I said, statistically insignificant number of people are doing this, and I'm sure people a right now.
Speaker 2: We oh yeah, what about well there's a case where I get right. You know, you can find cases and go, well, this person did this, Okay, but it doesn't mean it's rampant and politicians are really good at well, it's not just everyone's really good at that as cherry picking, finding someone and going well, here's your example. Okay, that's one person out of how many and if sometimes in a lot of cases it's a legitimate error on the part of the people who handle the elections telling someone they're eligible when they can't. Now me personally, I look at it going. I think it's good that the States and the FEDS are sharing information and data on people and you know, to make sure that people aren't legally voting. And the penalties are very extreme, you know, they're very severe for what's going on here. So is this a solution and sort of a problem. It really isn't, because you know, this is a great, I guess example of human nature and us as Americans, how we operate like woll okay, there's really no threat here. But it depends on what your worldview is.
Speaker 1: There's plenty of people that think illegals are voting in every election and overthrowing election and certainly doesn't help in The President says, yeah, twenty twenty was completely fraudulent, even though you know, people still believe that that it was, and there's at this point no convincing you otherwise you have your mind made up and everybody's part of the conspiracy who doesn't buy into it. You know, it's been it's been six years, and if we're still waiting for well, the MyPillow guy, for example, give us all this ov it's just not coming out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but you didn't see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I've I've looked at this stuff and said in the courts of agreed, FBI's agreed. It's like okay, and now that at this point, what does that get you. I mean, if there's a conspiracy to fix the twenty to ring, the twenty twenty election, Trump got back in, powered down pretty much undid everything.
Speaker 2: So you know, how did he win a second term? If the system is rigged, I guess it'd be well, guess it would be Okham's razor.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: Generally, the simplest explanation is usually the right one that you just simply lost. But nonetheless, I'm gonna look at this in gocation. We have safe and secure elections like the border. Absolutely, but you know the idea that that you know, immigrants are somehow out there voting in these huge numbers, but it could happen, it could have I think, really, what's going on here, and this is a Democrat proposal that this is the backfiring of things that you push for, you know, on your agenda. One of the what I think one of the key things here is you look at I forget how it's like twenty to twenty twenty two states or something like that that allows motor voter registration. I remember when that was a debate for a while. So the law says in these states that motor vehicle offices, so the DMV can allow people to register to vote.
Speaker 2: You know, we have it. You can go in and do that, and and okay, that's good. It's like it's easy to register to vote. We want people engage in the process. But you wonder how many of these cases where someone who's a in the states. As I said that the twenty states were roughly that allow undocumented immigrants to get a driver's license, that they go in and because they don't speak the language linguish is their second language or third language, and may have misunderstood and you know, in understand not moving here. Some I think there's some people to think that they come here specifically to vote so they can undermine our system. And you got out of your mind. You think, if somebody's going to do that, just why you move? Why are you doing this? Why you come here and legally unite it so I can vote? Yeah, no, probably not happening, But I see what would happen here is if you have these easy to register to vote boxes, and again it's an affirmation, it's a checkbox. You check that box and falsely thinking yeah, would you like to vote? Sure, I don't know what the law is.
Speaker 1: I don't okay, yes, yes, yes, or maybe I misunderstood it and you register to vote. I mean that could that's a plausible scenario, right, but that is something that's done in behast of that worldview that No, my god, the Conservatives and Republicans are making it so hard for people to vote. So all we have to do is make it easier to register to vote. And when you make something easier and lower that bar, things like this may happen, which gives for their ammunition to go. We have illegals voting when they really aren't. And so I think, you know, you want to talk about conspiracy theories. I think there's a collusion going on here in a sense that they know they just play the game. They're trying to get you to see their side of things and support them and send them money because and in time you go your vote is you know how many times if you're a democh at scream when they lose elections about voter intimidation, voter suppression.
Speaker 2: Why did you lose?
Speaker 1: It's voter suppression. Now your candidate sucks. Hillary lost? Why because voter suppression be suppressing your vote. Gotta get your asked, get off your ass and vote. It's easier to vote than ever before. We need more ballot access. It's pretty much easy.
Speaker 2: You can mail you you have a month to mail your battlement. If you give a damn. It's easy af to vote. I mean, what's the next step. You want someone coming to your house saying, hey, who are you gonna vote for.
Speaker 8: It?
Speaker 1: It's easy to vote. It used to be hard to vote. It's a Tuesday. You gotta take the day off. You gotta go wait in a line. Now you didn't have all other stuff to do. There wasn't TikTok and Instagram and you know three thousand streaming channels. You actually have put the effort in back in the day. Gotta get your car, get on the bus, whatever it is, go down and vote. Now it comes to you couldn't be easier. It wouldn't be easier and better for that matter, so you can do more research and actually be an informed voter.
Speaker 2: Because you're doing it at home. You're not in a box somewhere or the curtain, sweating it out, going feel like you didn't study for the exam. You open that thing up and go, what the hell question is this? Start having that high school or college flat bath flashback nightmare where you forgot to study for the final exam. What the judges? What ballot issue is it?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: You can just look it up on your phone before you vote. It's great, so voter suppression, like the voter suppression. And then the other side, of course, is screaming about, you know, ballot integrity and the elections are stolen and okay, where's the evidence? We really don't have any. But that's the cycle we are. I mean, it's you know again, the theme here on my show anyway, is just kind of thinking for yourself a little bit. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I'm not no rocket surgeon, but I kind of have a good idea when somebody's blowing smoke up my butt, like, what's your agenda, what's the bottle? What's the BS? Cut through the bsking me the facts? We don't have a There isn't rampant illegal voting going on, it's handfuls of people across the country. And is it a growing threat? No, it looks to me but pretty consistent.
Speaker 1: If you look at the evidence from the progressive resources and the conservative resources pretty much pretty close thirty between thirty and seventy over twenty five years. It's pretty find me a more convincing stat I don't think you can find one. But should we make sure our elections are secure?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The argument though, is that you know, these two sides battle and go, hey, we got to make it easier because we've got to protect people from having their vote suppressed. Okay, well it's really easy to vote right now. You can't make it any easier. How do you balance that out?
Speaker 1: Maybe this is not that well thought, is that, Okay, well, we've got to have the state in the FEDS cross check and make sure you are who you say you are, and you've got to have more evidence than ever before. And largely what it does, I think is when you have these government battles like this are party battles, I guess it just makes it harder to live your life. And that's probably the source of a lot of our frustration, is it's just such a in the older you get it's true too. Because you're younger, you take it for granted as this is the way it is. And when you're older and you and you're younger now and you're listening that, you're going, okay, it makes sense. What happens is you see kind of thing ways the way things used to be. It used to be simpler.
Speaker 2: Things get more complicated, and in a lot of ways, things get easier in some other ways. And you also are a touch to some degree with I guess the modern quote unquote modern way of doing things. That makes sense. That's why it gets like old people get bitter about stuff. It's like, it's, man, how hard is this? And you go back in the day where your grandparents would go to I don't know, the pharmacy, the apothecary, whatever it was. It's like, I need a bottle of mess. Here you go. Here's a bottle. It's got a cork in it. Now, okay, I get the same medicine. And I got to push down in a cap, but I got a twist, and then there's cotton and then there's a foil thing on top, and it's in the sealed cavern and I get to get a welder to break the box open so I can get this. And what a pain in the ass.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Back in the day, we just open up, take a cork off.
Speaker 1: Now I've got a It's like the Arosetta Stone here.
Speaker 2: It's the way life always is. Though every generation has that kind of thing. So I see this and go out. It's more of a pain than about ever to vote if you want a register to vote. But if you're young and new to the country, you think that's just the way it always is. And I guess you know, they're really good at just finding ways to This is a great divisive issue for the country because there is no there's no answer to this question. It's it's you know, it's a puzzle. You're either all about ballot security or you're all about ballot access, and there's no little ground on this thing, and politicians absolutely love that. That's why it is such an exploitative issue in my opinion. Anyway, let me get time out in and more to follow ten thirty six. Austin Pops and Austin Elmore from ESPN fifteen thirty We talk some sports this week. I'm gonna ask him coming up we have the Olympics. We also have news Red's news. By the way, I think major League Baseball. I hear it's making some changes again anyways, tweak the rules. See what that is about. But Phil Castellini now is the man in charge of your Cincinnati Red Legs. How are you feeling about that? You know, Phil is not the most controversial guy in the world. But also there's some baggage with Phil Castellini and as the steward of our Red Legs, Now, how do we feel about that? We'll get into that with Austin in a few minutes. We also have some Olympics stuff going. I gotta cat touch on the Olympics though. You feel almost obligated to mention the Olympics, especially the Americans doing as well as we are too. And I saw somebody online it's just again back to the polarization, so stupid, like they show too much American stuff. Why why aren't you showing the rest of the world, you know, the globalist kind of feel. It's like, yeah, because it's NBC, it's America. I don't really I don't really care about another I don't really care about what France is doing. And figure skating right how the Latvian team is getting screwed. In hockey, I care about the USA, Like for me, it's a USA v Canada because you know, I love hockey. Hockey's my sport.
Speaker 1: And I enjoyed watching the men when when yesterday afternoon is kind of predicted h two two goals called off, which is extremely rare to do, but yeah, it's kind of it's kind of fun to watch. And then we got the guy.
Speaker 2: I don't really watch a lot of figure skating, but I will watch this guy try to hit a quad during the Olympics, which is I mean, that's never been done before and this this level of competition, so we've got that going on as well. I'm also, you know, the the least interesting sports in the Winter Games here, what is your most interesting and least interesting? Like if it were on, you'd stop and watch it, or if it came on going, I'm out. You know, for me, I'm not really big in a figure skating. I do want to see the guy hit the quad, but like the pairs and all that, I don't really care. Ski jumping I will always watch because there's just you You're waiting for peril. The agony of defeat. There's a new one called scheme mountaineering, which I don't know. I'm gonna lean on the I'll check it out. I will check it. I'll try it anyon once food drink in this case Olympics new event where they ski and mountain climb. Like what so the biathlon is skiing and shooting. This is skiing and then climbing the mountain your skiing, which skiing generally means you're going downhill. I don't know where the up part comes into it? Is that more like cross country? I just I don't think could you get any more events in Neil Winter Olympics involving skis?
Speaker 1: That's the That's the other thing I lose is always going to miss this guy going down on a bobs flood.
Speaker 2: That's it. Yeah, we've all done that. That is the most approachable sport I think in the Olympics. To me is I get on a flying saucer. I'm Clark Griswold. I get on this thing, I go down an ice tube and if you were to you go There's how much danger is there? Really? You don't see a lot of wipeouts and crashes with the luge because the way it's DESI it seems like it's it's almost like bowling with the bumpers up. Kind of takes a little challenge away, But you know me, you're going pretty damn fast on that thing. Looks just looks it's something you'd want to try, right, Like everyone, I could do that. What do you do? You lie there and it just goes like Pinewood Derby. You just put on the traps. You're gone very approachable sport. Hey, we'll talk to Austin about that. I got Olympics, he got Red's got a little Bengals news. It's all on the way here on the Scott Salan Show Friday morning, seven hundred WLW Slody here on SEVENW I Heart Media and seven hundra WW Salukee Cincinnati's own Procter and Gamble. We'd like to recognize Alexandra Grout at P and G. She is doing, in the words of my good friend Tracy Jones, you're doing a great job, a great job over there, Alexandra Grout. I like grout, Austin, do you like grout? I do? Grout is nice. You're doing all You're doing a great job.
Speaker 1: Can I give a shout out. Yeah, Now, this person's name isn't on the list, but he's a he's a huge deal over there at P ANDG deal. Shout out to Gregory Elmore, my guy, your guy. Shout out the cousin Greg over a P. I was gonna say, brother, No, I'm an only child, which explains a lot, don't you think?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yep, yep, well we're good. Stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll never forgive them.
Speaker 2: What did we do? Austin's here, he's sharming me. SPN fifty third is a show with Tony Pike at noon. Over there, they talk all sports usually.
Speaker 1: Usually, but I actually do want to bring up a topic today that I just saw. Have you seen there's a bar in New York at Hell's Kitchen for AI girlfriends and boyfriends. So if you are someone who is dating an AI girlfriend or boyfriend, yeah, this bar is for you. I don't know the details yet, but they can bring your you basically bring your phone along for a romantic evening just in time for Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: God helpless, I might have to talk about.
Speaker 1: But there's some lady, because I my current trajectory and path in life would suggest that this is a.
Speaker 2: Place for me, robot romances.
Speaker 1: I'm probably gonna end up dating an AI something off of my phone, right if the current trajectory continues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because the technology is amazing in the fake human being sector right now, between A right, you got AI.
Speaker 1: You've got those prosthetic sex partners of the sex dolls, right, you know I'm talking about those things. You put those two together. Yeah, it's over, leave the house. Yeah, anyways, you want to talk about sports, Yeah, let's let's can we keep it out of the gutter?
Speaker 5: Yeah? All right.
Speaker 2: The Olympic village has officially exhausted in just seventy two hours their entire supply of condoms. Knew you were gonna do that. I knew you were gonna go there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is like we hear this every single time the Olympics come around, right, but they're just the condoms just fly off the shelves over there, they really do.
Speaker 2: And you know, I can't help.
Speaker 1: But think of that one Norwegian fellow who admitted the cheating on his girlfriend when he won the medal, and you know the backlash since then. Has that maybe led to more young ladies being in his dms? Or maybe some other fellow Olympians that have sought him out, and maybe he's using some of that the gold medal get you get get you know, it means money, right, like you get a decent chunk of money late anyway, it's just like, do you get more piece of the metal. Probably get this man, right. I think there are some people out there that want to check it off their list. Slept with a gold medalist. Yeah, I mean I'm not above that, right yeah, and then your first pick would be the curlers swan get yours anyway. Yeah, so seventy I don't have a thing in the bug in the corner, you know the time, you know when they do the splits at the time, he's uh huh do that with the condoms?
Speaker 2: Sure, like this is ahead of these Olympics. I like that. Yeah, wait seven too, it's seventy eight condoms ahead of a record.
Speaker 1: It's almost like like that bar in Omaha for the College World Series where they track the fans that drink the most shot, right right right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Same thing, same same technology, same technology. All right, Now that we have no listeners left, let's I do want to talk a little Olympics in just a second or two, because tonight. There's only one undefeated team in all of college basketballs correct, and that would be the Miami RedHawks tonight against Tom Brenneman's Ohio University Bobcats. The Ohio the aaii A Ohio University Bobcats tonight at Mallett.
Speaker 1: Big game, national television game on ESPN. That's a big deal for Miami, and I'm fascinated to see how as they go along and the pressure continues to mount, how do they respond Because they've had some close calls, They've had some games that you could argue they probably shouldn't have won, but they found a way to win them.
Speaker 2: And just at team because I agree very hard.
Speaker 1: I agree, and going up against a team like Ohio, that's a rivalry. That's the battle of the bricks right there. And sometimes when the pressure is mounting, and when the lights are on and you're on national TV, you start thinking, Okay, you're tighten up a little bit there, and I'm curious to see how it goes. But Travis Steel and his team, I mean, they are one of the best offensive teams in the country, and when they're able to marry that with some consistent defense, it hasn't always been good, but some consistent defense.
Speaker 2: They're fun to.
Speaker 1: Watch man and with the Bobcats love to knock off Miami and be the team they lose the finals of this season. Yeah, as Tom Braden would say, ut.
Speaker 2: Red spring training schedule, we are underway in goodyear. February twenty first, So what is that? Today is the thirteenth, So how many times have you looked at the Reds spring training schedule? But a week from today it's real they start playing games. It's not real. Yeah, they're really playing those those are fake games. Yeah, but they're really playing another team.
Speaker 1: Yes, So well you'll hear the jingle their ads are on and that's I guess that's rights.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's kind of gone fast that all of a sudden we've we've you know, the new year happens in boom. We're right about to start having spring training baseball games. And what's interesting about the team to me is that they're not interesting. They're kind of boring. The most interesting parts of this spring training are who's gonna hit second in the lineup and who's the backup second basement. Pretty Much every spot is accounted for. Now we're gonna see how refreshing is that. Yeah, I know, and and I think Terry Frank Coon was talking about this on the Hot Stove earlier this week, where it's like sometimes you go into camp with a lot of questions and you find out you don't have the answers. Well, now you're going into camp with a lot of answers and you find out what questions need to be asked. And that's a good spot for this team to be in. I think, especially after the run that they went on last year, they've slightly improved offensively.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of ifs. There's a lot of if.
Speaker 1: This has happens, then this will be good all over that roster, guys like Spencer Steeer, guys like Matt McClain most notably. But when most of the spots are taken up and you know who's going to be where just about every day and you've been there and been to the playoffs with that group, I think that gives him a lot of confidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but here's you know, the questions will pop up. Ces is a question now he is injured. Injury set back for him. Now, grant you only had two O six last year, there's only one trajectory for him hopefully, and that is up. Yeah, And Terry said, ah, you know, he's kind of running through it and we'll see what happens. But I've heard this before and say it's gonna happen with him, but it's like, next thing, you know, it's he's going to miss Opening Day.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think he's going to make this team, so I don't know that it's that big of a deal. But he's one of those guys where it's like, hey, if he has a nice spring, he could be that dude at the end of the benches, the backup infield, right, And I was kind of hoping to see that because I think a lot of Reds fans would say that that Cees is a likable guy, a guy that you want to see succeed. But it just feels like that something's always happened once he gets to the big leagues and he can't overcome it. I remember last year he finally got to the big leagues, had that awesome walk off home run and we're thinking, okay, ces is back and he was back in the minor leagues a couple of weeks later, and he wasn't even with the Big League Club on Christian and Carnassio and Strand Bobblehead Night later that season. Right, So yeah, he's one of those guys. It does seem like he's only gonna miss a couple of games, a couple of the spring games. Say he's on a running program. So hopefully it's not something that last. Good good, all right.
Speaker 2: The big news out today sports wise, speaking of the Reds, Phil Castellini taking helm over from his dad Bob in Red's Country and resignation. We look at this, go, okay, when Phil Casteli we know the track. Should we care? Is this? Does it matter?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: I do think Reds fans should care because Phil Castellini has greatly and repeatedly offended Reds fans over the years. He's made you feel like crap, He's made you feel like you don't matter. And now officially he's the guy that's in charge. Now, I'm willing to give Phil Castellini a chance. And you could say that since he's been in charge, which really was at the end of last year, they did make a run at Kyle Schwarber. Whether it was a serious run or not, they did, and they did spend more than their allotted budget to go and get Auohenio Surez. So I'm hoping that that is a sign of things to come in the Phil Castellini regime. But I think a lot of Reds fans would be justified in saying I have my doubts about that actually being the case.
Speaker 2: And here's the guy who just got booed not long ago e Xavier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not liked and there are plenty of reasons not to like him. Now, I'm not surprised by this. Nobody should be surprised by this. Who knows what it's going to look like, especially next year when there probably won't be any baseball. But I'm willing to at least give Phil a chance now that he's the guy who's in charge.
Speaker 2: And I think that's fair. I wish I hope more of Reds fans do that, because can he turn that page? And because all you need to do is win, I mean go to the playoffs, but advance. Yeah, and it fixes everything.
Speaker 1: Right, Like you know, it's that I always talk about this, that famous quote from Paul Brown that says winning makes believers of us all. Phil Castellini can change his image, can be a hero in this town if he commits to building a winning team and not a money making team, and that's up to him to decide. And I personally don't know if that's something that he cares about. I'm not sure if that's something that he really worries about.
Speaker 2: Are you say that there's this team in Cincinnati cares more about money than winning.
Speaker 1: I don't know that there's a team in the world who cares more about money than winning, or who cares more about winning than money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so well here it's maybe a little more more. Speaking of which, Trey Hendrickson franchise Tager Now, no, thank you, move on hard pass, Yeah, move on a thousand with that. It's just there's no need for it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe they think there's only been seven players in the last ten years or so, or maybe in the last fifteen that have actually been traded once they've been tagged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just not going to be easy. It's younger, and let's face it, it's yeah good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would then have to negotiate with the other team, with the agent with a come up with something that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if that's seven games too. It's like it's tough to it's just just move on.
Speaker 6: FC.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's that time of year ready, It's like NASCAR Fokker, isn't that. It's like there's hardly any offseason they ended that, they've ended their preseason now and they're in that kunka concat. It just rolls off the tongue. Uh as they get ready to play and they've got some new pieces in there and they're still trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious to see what it looks like because it feels like it's been kind of a quiet off season for f C Cincinnati and maybe not as much done as they expected. But the the part about their season that's so so interesting in their schedule and their calendar is that there's a lot of time between now and the stretch run to really build up, figure out what you have, and then I think what they've been really good at the last couple of years is finding that piece, maybe not at the start of the season, but early on or at the midway point that can come in and give them that jolt going into the stretch run. Now the calendar's changing a little bit, we're gonna learn about that a little bit more today with Tom Glaider on our show and figure out exactly what that means and what the difference will be. But they've shown an ability in the past to figure out what they have and plug in the right piece to get them to the postseason. Okay, good, So FC is starting to get fired up as well.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: No one embraces the sports culture and certainly the sports haberdasherie than one Austin Elmore a haberdashery. He is always the word I've never heard, always dripped up wearing Bengals reds Ohio State Michigan. He wears pretty much just wearing a hat usually. But you got you got a Jordan's a sweatshirt on right, a Cruise shirt, you got the Bengals flack m on. You look good. Thanks, You're always well dressed. Okay, thank you. So no one leans more into gear than you do, I would say Sarah at least does. She's a front runner though with it well, I mean no doubt. I mean now, all of a sudden she's a Miami fan. Yeah, I mean gratituate. It's like I thought she went all these years. I thought you went to UC Yeah, no kidding. So he's up. You see suck Now she's on the Miami bandwagon.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Nonetheless, what do you make of the FC Seven Hills kit? I was about to ask you, can you name the seven Hills of Cincinnati? Sure? Okay, go now, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, according to Google, who knows this is a I so Mount Adams. There's Mount Adams, You got Mount Auburn, you go, Anut Hills, Dopey, Vine Street Hill, College Hill, fair Mount, and Mount Harrison which is now Price Hill.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, anyways, where's Mount Harrison? They're sick.
Speaker 1: I think they're my favorite uniform that c Cincinnati's ever made, right, and that includes the ones that they made for us and brought to us last year. I mean, white with the orange stripes, just a beautiful look. Kits every year.
Speaker 2: Across in my less phone, and they're the kind of what do you call the zigzag stripes only their vertical for the seven Hills and their seven peaks. It's really neat. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that sort of creativity. A couple of years ago they did the orange one and it was kind of based off of the river, which I thought was cool. Yeah, and I love that their their ability to just kind of incorporate the city and the different elements of the city into each other.
Speaker 2: I want to see like next to the because every year they do new kid, the one that has like a tribute to chili where it's just like they have sauce just all over the uniform, you know what I mean, in the front of it, like I ay chili.
Speaker 1: You know, the Reds are supposed to update their City Connect uniform soon. And you know we've seen teams like Milwaukee they had a grill on theirs because they asked them for tailgate and fast feats and all that stuff. I do wonder if there will be, yeah, some sort of a chili aspect, the Chili Connect Jersey, the Chili Connect.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 1: I mean, you could make a lot of mone you really really could, or if they did. Now, last year the Chicago White Sox did a Chicago Bulls style uniform.
Speaker 2: Could the Reds make a little dough on some origin black all right? Perhaps?
Speaker 6: Like it?
Speaker 2: All right, we'll find out partner would make you buy the stuff anyway, all right? Quickly? Then Olympics was teased here where we're not talking about condoms, are actually talking about play as you know, I am sick, sick sick for the puck last night watching the US women's by the way, which I normally don't watch with hockey. I'll tell you what. They're fun to watch because they're fast. You think there's twenty of them out there. It's awesome. They beat Canada five nothing. I saw it on Wednesday. I watched yesterday the US men's team. Kind of a slow start here. They won five two of Latvia two just allowed goes to the US men's team. But I'll tell you what you want to talk about, like a dream situation, because if you played hockey, generally played like on the street or in your backyard or pond or something like that somewhere, and you played with your friends and your brothers and stuff like that. In this game yesterday, Brady could Chuck scored a goal and the pass his assistant was from his brother Matthew. It's really cool. It was so cool and those guys.
Speaker 1: I remember it was at last fall when they the four an Asians face off, and to see them playing together, and now they've taken the Olympic break for this, it's just really cool.
Speaker 2: It's fun to see.
Speaker 1: It was a bad day yesterday to be a Latvian and the Columbus crew goalkeeper who got roughed up Elvis guy named Elvis and had to take him out.
Speaker 2: They said, Elvis is the building.
Speaker 1: They had like two thousand shots on this poor guy was fun but I get it. Yeah, all this is out. He was he was struggling, was just getting we'll see later. Elf elve Elf, the Elf Columbus goalie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: The hottest team in the NHL prior to the break. So they probably won't win a game for three months. It could be because he's gonna be nursing a sore growing. That's what happened to those I've never seen a goalie taking knee. I mean he was getting he was just getting peppered, just peppered. And Rich Rahonan I think I'm saying the name right. The oldest Winter Olympian. They lost, the Americans lost of Switzerland. But a curler fifty four years old, the.
Speaker 2: Oldest Olympians fifty medal. I don't think he's a medal event. He took part in the Americans eight three loss of Switzerland. Loser. Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: That's the best old guys out there. Yeah, that's all right, that's kind of cool. How excited that you don't have to worry, don't have to worry about the condoms looking at mine? How excited are you for the NBA All Star Weekend coming up this week? I am not excited at all. Me neither used to be the best weekend of my childhood. I might have to get more in the NBA. I really want to.
Speaker 2: I just like I have time to watch.
Speaker 1: I watch them like it's fun. I just never have a hot take. Lebron James legacy is that he killed All Star Weekend. I won't participate in the dunk contest.
Speaker 2: Real quick. Olympic I wanted to ask you this, Yes, yes, least and most interesting sport Winter Olympics go least interesting I think is the loge really yeah? I think that's kind of boring.
Speaker 1: And then most interesting to me personally probably the curly, just because it feels, I'm that really intense. Everyone seems to be dialed into the curly.
Speaker 2: That should be a question. What's guilty pleasure? Curling? Downhill skating is fun though, that's like that is risky. I'm not I'm not a big figure skating. I want to see the quad. God though, that that looks really cool. Yeah, apparently tonight big night for him. That's pretty good. Obviously, hockey's number one for me.
Speaker 1: But I used to really like speed skating back with your buddy Apolo Antonoo. Yeah, I mean those those skates that they wear. Yeah, you know what, I would change my answer. That's the most interesting, all right. That's I was watching the five thousand meter yesterday. Yeah, I mean that takes some serious it really does. It does skeleton, which is a belly down sled. I mean it's like I watch it and go I watch it because it's like WestEd do it in the back.
Speaker 2: Are you know? Yeah? Yeah, just become a mystique. Rowe by the way, US athlete. She hates roller coasters and is allergic to ice, she says, and she is our representing us on the sky. How did you get to where you are? I don't know. It's a great thing. I just want to watch it to see.
Speaker 1: That's as good of a story as Lindsay Vaughn. She overcame the elements.
Speaker 2: I gotta get going Austin Almore today new and I EESPN fifty to thirty, Thank you, thank you shot or from now Willy is here and I'm sure either he or I don't know if it's Dan Carroll or Canbers. Anyway, they'll be complaining about why why the bath the Olympics is alonging biathletes and the biathlon, speaking of fifty four year old Olympians, got to explain to him to the biathlon is not what he thinks it is.
Speaker 9: Seven hundred WW. Cincinnati got flown back on seven hundred WW. So what is a Christian? Hey, what what's a Christian? Most people answer, well, someone who believes in Christ. Dummy, Yeah, but that's not really the whole answer. It's simply not just self identification.
Speaker 2: It's really if you are a Christian, the definition would be someone who has a complete commitment to Christ. And that's where we have a bite a problem. The cafeteria Catholic comes to mind, the cultural Christian. Of course, all this then impacts what things like our election one of the reasons Trump got won and he did really, really really well, so much better than Democrats traditionally do, but especially in this cycle with Christian conservatives, those on the far right, and and there's a problem of the cultural Christian, and that is someone well we'll get the definition of what that is. Maybe you are that person. John Horvett is a religious scholar, researcher, educator and this joins the show now to talk about it on seven hundred W Dowty John, good morning, how are you.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Great to be on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So define that. What is a cultural Christian is that like a cafeteria Catholic is what we call them here in heavily Catholic Cincinnati. Someone who shows up for Easter and Christmas Mass, the Creasers and then you know pretty much does their own things. Has you know, white spouses on birth control, you know all the things that you told you are not supposed to do. That's cafe deia Catholic. It's the same thing.
Speaker 4: No, No, it's it's even much less much much less. You don't have to really do anything. You don't have to go to church, you don't have to believe in God, you don't have to believe in it anything. All you have to do is identify, I recognize the value of some Christian cultural thing. It's something that's nice that you enjoy, but has nothing actually to do with accepting Christ or having faith in Christ or anything having to do with Christianity. As it's it turns religion into a culture identity marker. You know, it's just how identify myself, and you know, it has it's a lot of the trapping, but when you try to dig deep inside, there's really nothing there.
Speaker 2: Well, And the reason I bring this up is because I think that was reflected in this election. There's a lot of people that seem to be what you're defining as a cultural Christian here that is like I look at it and go, yeah, that's really not what Christ taught or what the belief of Christian is. But I damn it, I'm I'm a Christian and I'm going to vote for well in this case, to President Trump, I think he did really really well with a cultural conservatives or cultural Christians you're.
Speaker 4: Talking about, yeah, I mean, yeah, definitely you have some overlaps there, but I mean we're talking like people like Ellen Loss, Ellen Moss, Ellen Mosk. He is a self identified Christian book cultural Christian, whereby he doesn't have anything there. I mean, his life doesn't follow a moral code. It's just a very it's a very feel good thing. It certainly you know, it plays well on media, but it doesn't really have that that that's that uh that that depth that makes Christianity so powerful. It's just a stripped down version.
Speaker 2: Well, I have a problem with Christians that are dictating what our policies are. These these folks have absolutely no idea what Christian and mere being Christian means. And it's a for those who are true Christians. It's a commitment and it's you know you are You're only answering to your Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. There's no one else there do you answer to. Now, you obviously, like anyone else, have certain things that you would favor, to be sure, but most people aren't making that commitment that you're talking.
Speaker 4: About, right exactly. I mean you have people like Joe Rogan who says I like Jesus and now he becomes a critic cultural Christian. You have people like Vive Karamasami who says God is real and he's not even he's a Hindu. I mean, it's just it's just crazy. How you know the media picks up on something, you make a comment or statement, and you've become a cultural Christian. Uh. You know, our face is much worth, much much more than that and much more powerful when we believe in something and we we we practice Gods law. You know, it's just a very important distinction. And these people are getting a lot of you know, getting a lot of press, they're getting a lot of uh, you know, credit for something that they really don't have.
Speaker 2: Okay, but here's the problem. There is no universal agreement on who has the authority to define a Christian. There's no true Christian identity. It's a It's certainly been an ongoing theological and philosophical debate longer than we've been here, longer than when we leave it this earth. That there are different Christian traditions that have different answer that question, and even within those sects there can be debate about what constitutes authentic Christian identity. So if you can't have a source, as it were, on what truly makes up a Christian, who are you to say, John Horrovett, Well, I.
Speaker 4: Mean that is that is the point. It's not a Christian. We're not debating whether a person is Christian or not. It's just cultural Christians. They want to put Christianity into a box and say it it's just part of culture. It doesn't really matter what you know, what you really are. Just keep it cultural and don't make it religious. And we'll be it will be all right with that. And I think that's where the big problem is. Just a vague sympathy for Christianity makes you Christian. It doesn't, obviously doesn't. And these people would probably be the first to say we're not Christian. But there's for example, Christopher Dawkins, excuse me, Richard Dawkins. He said he's an atheist, but he identifies as a cultural Christian because he says, you know, the culture has some nice things in it that you know has done, has done some good. Obviously, he doesn't want to be a Christian. He's just a cultural Christian. And and that causes a lot of confusion. And you know, that's that's where I think the danger is.
Speaker 2: Who doesn't like I mean, Baby Jesus Land and the Manger. You've got, the frankincense, You've got the Mystery of the Chair, You've got you know, who doesn't like Christmas? Or crying out loud. I a friend, good friend of mine who's Jewish his whole life. He's put up a Christmas tree because he likes Christmas trees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you want to be the first to say he's not a Christian. In these particular. You know figures are you know, they're they're living on the they display the trappings, but they don't walk the walk.
Speaker 2: Is that so what's the damage?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 2: Does that offend you? Because you're you're putting the I mean, you're putting the work in. You're going damn it. These people are getting credit for I'm working really hard to be a Christian here and these folks say there, but they're really not. Is that like more offensive to you than what's the damage?
Speaker 5: Lowers?
Speaker 4: It lowers the bar and makes it makes you know, Christianity something that makes it makes it a cultural thing, which for me is not a cultural thing. And I don't want to be put in that box. I think it it takes away from our the power of our message. I just think calling it something cultural and giving the idea it is something cultural.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, Jim, I'll push back a little on Meko. Like John Mellencamp said, ain't that America. We take everything in debase it in our culture. We take food, we take we we misappropriate things, and we twist it to our liking. Because we're Americans. We're the great melting pot and we unlike many countries have that going for still, where people from different nations come in, they assimilate, and we take their cultural gifts and we change. You know, I'm Italian, and you know the idea putting a ravioli in a can is offensive to a lot of Italians. But you know, God bless chef boy or d from Cleveland, Ohio who made a fortune in a household name overtaking Raviolian sticking a can Now it's sending close to real ravioli. But you can take that and do that with any culture and any religion and you have the same thing. And that is what America does. We take something and we homogenize it.
Speaker 4: Definitely, you have that aspect that doesn't it doesn't detract from the fact that those those those real things do exist and are very important in life people and very important the lives of a culture to to you know, to proclaim a Christianity and to disregard the moral codes that go along with it. You know, it's a based It does debate that, and Christians have a right to fight back and say, no, that's not what I stand for. You're you're completely misrepresented it. I mean, that's also very American, is too right to get to get into these debates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're talking about people who would never otherwise engage, but say, yeah, I just kind of identify with it. I also have a problem and this is going to piss a lot of people off, and I love it. It seems like the people who scream the loudest and show the rest of the world they are one hundred percent about Christ almost always aren't. Uh, And I'm talking about fake Christians? Is that you know, the well the cross and all the shirt, listen to the music even though it's not that good. I'm not talking about like you know, pop and Christian rock for example, and just because that's our culture because they but you know, behind the scenes, they're probably not as Christian as they would profess and project. Is that a problem as well? Is that the same thing?
Speaker 4: Well, definitely not, because at least these people profess that faith and are trying. You know, these are people who have you know, who really have nothing to do with the faith and are passed off as the faith. You know, gets people like Jordan Peterson, who is a complete atheist, you know, he's a cultural Christian, or you know Richard Dawkins or or you know, just these these these figures, these pop figures that are are just turning, you know, religion into a cultural identity identity marker and then and taking away from the actual powerful message that it's actually actually there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I I guess maybe because I've known a few people like what I was talking about there, and I've I've seen it firsthand. You know, go to a restaurant.
Speaker 1: Instead of leaving the tip, they leave a you know, some message about Jesus on this.
Speaker 2: Well, you had at a restaurant, you're expected to tip for the service here.
Speaker 1: That's telling somebody about Jesus.
Speaker 2: Isn't exactly currency, right it. Those are the people I have a problem with, quite honestly, because then you hear stories where they're, oh, yeah, well they also happen to be embezzling money from the church or they're taking money from this because they think they're entitled to it because they are so Christian. And I guess that's two sides of the same coin. Jim Horvat is here, our John Horvat rather is here as religious scholar, researcher, educator, return to orders the book. We're talking about the emergence of the cultural Christian and that is someone who says, yeah, I kind of like Christianity, but is really not a Christian and what impacts And we've seen that in election certainly, and the impact of the cultural Christian and kind of debasing that one of the things that make up the core belief is a Christian here in America anyway, I don't know about other countries, but for a number of years and right now it's been this way for a while. Abortion seems to be the one issue for Christians. And there's a lot of issues I can think of too that are big and important. But why did we get to the point where abortion equals Christianity or I guess anti abortion equals Christianity.
Speaker 4: It's a litmus point because obviously it is part of the moral code. I mean, the tech commandments, the fist commandment, shad not kill, you know, it's very very clear. And the belief in the in the that we are, you know, beings made an image and likeness to God, and that to destroy a human being in any in any point of its development will eventually.
Speaker 5: To two worst things.
Speaker 4: So I think it's a it's a valid point. And of course, you know, the cultural Christian would just sideline those kinds of things just as well. Those things aren't important, you know, the only thing important is that well.
Speaker 2: But I guess my point of that, John too, is that if you look back in history, for example, today, it's it's very very clear what the Christian doctorate is towards abortion, But if you go back to the what eighteen hundred and nineteenth century, it would be they're Christian leaders. Some opposed abortion, but most said nothing about it. They looked at as a private decision. Most Protestants were pretty nuanced about it, saying it was a private matter, and that went all the way through even the nineteen fifties. Christian religious identity and anti abortion activism came out largely in the seven and these as a political tool by the Republicans. The Southern Baptists. Southern Baptist supported abortions up in the end of the nineteen seventies, but near the end of the decade, in the eighties and the Reagan Revolution, they went absolutely in the other direction.
Speaker 4: I mean, abortion is an hypocritic ghost of the from the Greeks. It goes back to the Greeks. You know, you do not commit abortion. It's not something just recent I mean, it's always been.
Speaker 2: Not according to these not according to the church, as I just mentioned. And that's the thing is, you know, we're back to who decides what makes a Christian? And I would say, certainly a Southern Baptists are Christians, Protestants are Christians, Catholics are Christians. But it wasn't until the early nineteen eighties that abortion became the issue is today. If religion is about tradition, when we go back in time to the dawn of time in.
Speaker 4: The sixties, I know what the abortion issue was, OK, very hot back then, and it's been been a hot issue because but it wasn't a hot issue because most people did practice it. It was it was against the law. So I mean it is obviously is not an issue if something's against the law. It was something very clandestine, but it was it was always it was always considered against the law. Yeah, but at least from my Catholic tradition, I can see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm not necessarily talking about Catholics in Generalrey, We're talking about Christians as a whole here. And it's just interesting the shift that came in the nineteen eighties because prior to that they're like, Okay, well it's a private thing, and not that the Catholic Catholic Church was certainly against that, and great point that it was that it was illegal. But you know, there are plenty of Catholics and Christians that had backroom abortions. Some of them didn't turn out well, but it wasn't n till it was politicized, I guess, to the nineteen eighties. It's really became such the issue that is today where there's absolutely no wavering out whatsoever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you can't mean, you can't take the life of a human being. And that's that's a big problem.
Speaker 2: John Horbad on the show this morning on seven hundred WW the rise of the cultural Christian we're talking about here too, and what about the societal impact on that. I know you you certainly are a devout Christian, and I think maybe this is personal for you, because yeah, it's kind of like saying, who is the biggest Bengal fan? Right, you couldn't have made that until you're blue in the face. There's no way to measure it. I think that's the problem and a lot of people, unfortunately, as I mentioned, with the fake Christians that I've seen tend to measure the more outward, the more you know, crosses that they wear, and bumper stickers that they have, and shirts and hats that they have that they tend to yell more loudly than most chriss I think the most christ Like people that I know in my life, and I'm talking about people who are there to serve God and no one else, they tend to not be as forward with their belief as some.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, you're obliged to witness to the faith. How you how you manifest itself. So I mean it's not if you're hiding it. You have to absolutely show it and defend the faith when it is attacked in the even in the public square. So I mean, it is how you do it. It's it depends upon you. There are there are people and sinners who do it do it in ways it's obviously I would agree with. But uh, the the cultural Christian is is someone who was who just takes the bacon de lucids and even goes contrary to it. I mean, you see a lot of you see this in a lot of these very what they call hard right movements in Europe. You know, the the idea the alternatives for deutsch Land. You know, that's one of the big super rightous ones. They're cultural Christians. They're they there, they have they have a lot of externals. But you look at their philosophies and there's someone to say, we're open openly pagans. We go back to our German mythology. You look at the National Rally Party of France. You know they say that they with marine lapen.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, they're being castigated as being super you know, super Christian. But if you look at their philosophies and there and they also are pagan and they also uh you know, have very very strange ideas and they will defend of positions that in no way are defendable by Christians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think you are the silent majority and maybe that's majority of assilent minority when it comes to the faith, because you're very obviously very strong in that too, and you'll profess it. But you know, we're like anything is the damage is done because it's become so homogeneous that people just latch onto something cool and go, oh yeah, I'm part of that group. I'm like, it's like being a swiftye almost John Horvite, appreciate the time. Thanks so much for joining the show this morning.
Speaker 4: Really interesting, all right, great being on the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks again for coming back on. As we get closer to the high holy season here with lent fast approaching, I'm about to time out. News on the way in just minutes, and of course we get the weekend rolling with Ali Martin Local Loop. What to eat, drink, see and do this weekend in Cincinnati with the weather warming up, Gonna be nice for Valentine's Day tomorrow for sure. Scott Sloan Show, seven hundred WLW. The weekends coming on and you need to make the most of that. Where to go and what to do?
Speaker 3: She has that two percent insight to help you make it us super weekend, So listen up.
Speaker 5: This is the Local Loop with Allie Martin on seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on? Good morning, Thank you my new favorite person in the world.
Speaker 8: You are looking just so damn for this morning.
Speaker 2: And I know Allie last week she brought me this sweatshirt that.
Speaker 7: Says Buffalo Bengals and it's like a mash up of the logos blended in Yeah, and it's a great sweatshirtshirt and it looks so good.
Speaker 2: It fits good.
Speaker 8: Right, We went back and forth like are you a larger large?
Speaker 2: And we made it and excel top and but it's like it fit great.
Speaker 7: And it's long, but it's narrow. It doesn't make you look like a potato?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Where did you get it again?
Speaker 7: Actually, my friend, so it was a mutual friend, bought it for another friend and I'm like, I know them. Another person who needs this sweatshirt.
Speaker 2: There's two Buffalo bills. I'm sorry, Buffalo Bengals sweatshirts in Cincinnati, and I have one of them.
Speaker 8: So I think I think a lot of people would love it.
Speaker 2: All right, well, put it up on your you should sign her social at Allie martin Ate. And of course YouTube is a good drama to the whole episode on sweatshirts. What's going on Local Loop this morning? So what's it? Finally this time next week is gonna be seventy, which is so Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: I mean, heck, today's Friday, the thirteenth Valentine's Days, this weekend, this whole celebration's Marty Grass coming up. You missed a fantastic Gallantine's paint and sip with tiff.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so sorry I missed that.
Speaker 8: Actually it was a really good time. Did I paint much? Of course not. But I was there for the espresso martini and vibes Gallantine?
Speaker 2: How many? How many people showed up to this? How many?
Speaker 8: It was a packed house? I mean yeah, yeah, she pretty much sold out, which was great.
Speaker 7: A got a cute little spot called Frankie So if you're looking for something a new place to check out, Frankie's off Court Street is a good little spot. They have killer aspresso Martini's. So we went from the sound bath to the paint and sip, which then we can't forget because then I found out last week that you don't like asmr So that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you're whispering out is pissing me off. I don't whisper man, I don't like amna whisper.
Speaker 8: That's an abusive power rude.
Speaker 2: What I gotta be nicer? She got my shirt?
Speaker 1: Is it possible for women, right, okay, to just go, hey, let's go have a drink, Let's go have a that's good, let's.
Speaker 2: Just go have it. Why you've got to always do stuff? You can't just have a drink you have to either shop and buy stuff you don't need.
Speaker 1: You got gourmet products, you got dildoze, you got all these things, or you go and I got Okay, So what am I gonna do? Yeah, I'm gonna get a bottle of wine with my gal pals and we're gonna paint.
Speaker 2: You're not, but why not?
Speaker 8: Why not? And also can't you.
Speaker 6: Just have a drink?
Speaker 2: Is always going to be doing other stuff with it?
Speaker 7: We do that too, but sometimes we want to go and actually making an experience.
Speaker 8: You're welcome, do you ever? We are the We are.
Speaker 7: Attention oriented, detail oriented. Things like Octoberfest happen because of of women.
Speaker 5: Because we are.
Speaker 7: Organized, we have foresight, we can plan yourself.
Speaker 2: I gotta do it. We're gonna go. We are you gonna have a drink? Guys go? Hey, you want to get some You want to go grab a beer, maybe some wing? Sure, let's go. But hey, I got it? How about this? Why don't we end up? Well? Paint?
Speaker 8: How about this?
Speaker 7: You men miss out on the experience of being a woman going to the bathroom at a bar. We don't want to be going that that alone. You make lifelong friends in the bathroom. I'm just saying you get the most compliments. If somebody walks in wearing something, you're like, oh my gosh, where did you get that top? Those shoes are dorable. Yeah, let's be best friends. And then you know what you're doing. You're going out and you're getting a drink at.
Speaker 2: An xbox to right, No, no, you're not. When that person leads a restroom, you're crapping out them because she's no, she's such a slut.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 7: And then if she was, I'd be like, yes, go go live your life, have the most fun.
Speaker 8: We're supportive.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you people live with yourselves. I really don't. You know what's going on this weekend?
Speaker 7: So okay, so today is Friday. We'll start with today being Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 2: There's three of those, I believe in twenty twenty six. The first of three, Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 8: Really is that good luck or bad luck?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 8: This is so Friday the thirteenth tends to well. First and foremost.
Speaker 7: Krispy Kreme is giving away thirteen thousand glazed donuts at their locations. So and it's all random. So if you go to any other I don't even know where the nearest.
Speaker 2: Christmas west Chester and Tyler's will lane on that So.
Speaker 7: It's random the way that they're handing them out. I don't know how many they're handing out at each location. So if you're a donut fan, maybe just pop in to a Krispy Kreme. But Friday the thirteenth tends to be a really big day for flash tattoos. So if you are a tattoo person, check out, Hey, the parlor that I go to my tattoo artists that I like, see if that parlor is doing some sort of a flash tattoo pop up, because that's really really common in the tattoo world, I know, Friday, Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like dope smokers with four to twenty Sure, okay.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean you don't have any tattoos?
Speaker 7: Do you? No?
Speaker 8: What do you get talked about this? Yeah? I think I'm going to get one at some.
Speaker 2: Point one of my teams wins the championship the tattoo.
Speaker 8: Or you can get the local on the shirt if.
Speaker 2: I wear it long enough. I love this shirt so much.
Speaker 7: Right there, they just walk around.
Speaker 2: You've got this topless. Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 7: So there's an option any and I know some of them as the top of my head. North Side Electric Tattoo in North Side, Hive Tattoo in Westchester, so closer to where you are. And then Black Fern, which is one of my favorite tattoo shops off of Republic Street downtown throughout the day, so you know, check out, maybe it up So I'm not, but it's funny that you bring this up.
Speaker 2: I favorite tattoo shop because where.
Speaker 7: I want to go to get my tattoo. I want to do a sunflower. It's on the side of my I want to do it on the side of it to.
Speaker 1: Shave, aren't you it's on the side of my hip.
Speaker 2: I don't know, maybe a polar baron. Let me tell you.
Speaker 8: It's on the side of my hips. Come on.
Speaker 2: Geographic anyway, okay, so Dalent so okay.
Speaker 7: Let's get into Valentine that we've been teasing it out the last two weeks because good luck, I've looked. Good luck getting reservation anywhere. So find your dive bar uh even tickets for example, the Music Hall they're doing a tour.
Speaker 8: Nothing's no tickets remain.
Speaker 7: So here's a fun little idea that you still could go if you wanted to maybe pick up you know how they have those date night cards, challenge cards maybe to target today.
Speaker 2: No, I have no idea what that.
Speaker 7: The way that you just guessed made it seem like, wow, that's the greatest idea date night challenge cards. It's just activity driven, pre produced cards that you together. You open up and it's like you scratch it off and it's like, hey, go to you know, you're nearest waffle house.
Speaker 8: Or something like that. That's just a little different that allows you to just go, just go.
Speaker 2: You don't have to think about it.
Speaker 8: You don't have to overplan, but it still makes it fun and it makes.
Speaker 2: S We can get in a fight over just scratching the cards off. This is just a bad idea. If you've been married for a long time and know what I'm talking about, it's like you're getting it stuff all over the floor.
Speaker 8: I just clean. That's what the dog is for.
Speaker 2: Why are you using that? Use a quarter?
Speaker 8: Why are you using your key?
Speaker 7: All right, But this plan in this get up is for those who maybe have not planned at all and you're like, I need a last minute something, something that I know is gonna be sealed deal locked in all right, mad Tree. They're doing a Valentine's Day bingo and I am here.
Speaker 8: For this number one.
Speaker 7: I'm always a fan of going to play a little bingo at a bar because I'm ninety at hard.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be great. You're gonna be great, Old Lord God, I love it. I love and she eats. At four, she goes to bingos.
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 2: It's ninety in the studio. She's got a hat and coat on right now, she's cold.
Speaker 7: My Spotify playlist told me that I'm aged at the age of eighty six, so you're going to do great. The math is math again, I guess take what I say with a grain of salt. But if you're looking for something that's cheap, that's on the fly, then you're like, oh, I don't know what to do, but let's make it a full day thing. Sure, why don't you start in the morning and go to Matri do this bingo.
Speaker 8: It's from ten to noon.
Speaker 7: It's only five dollars entry and guess what that five dollars also goes towards a drink.
Speaker 8: But yeah, it's doctor friendly drinking game.
Speaker 2: It's a great enough If people don't hit alcohol, that'd be more inclined to play bingo.
Speaker 8: And that's what this is. See Soldia, I have.
Speaker 2: Have all your one fee, you go and you get the cards.
Speaker 8: Open bar open, Well, this is an open bar.
Speaker 2: You do have to No, I'm just saying i'd be a great idea.
Speaker 5: It would be.
Speaker 7: When the way that the way that I'm think when you said open marm like, could you do bingo at a wedding?
Speaker 2: That'd be fun, right you could shut yeah, because you generally there's a lot of sitting around talking to people and it's like, okay, keep a looking at your watch, give me something to do.
Speaker 8: And people who don't like to dance like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so yeah, they're doing bingo.
Speaker 7: And they also matri if you didn't know, they do serve brunch and this is at the Oakly locate. They do serve brunch, so you can get bronch beer, cider, wine, cocktails, boozed up and his dog friendly. Yeah, so you know what, or maybe maybe you do have a kid and you want to bingo, still celebrate, go play bingo tomorrow and.
Speaker 2: It's just madness to the list, Ali my funeral.
Speaker 7: Can I host it? Can I host the bingo? As long as I can host it.
Speaker 2: We're good Bingo and Cornhole.
Speaker 8: What are gonna be?
Speaker 7: What are the prizes going to be? Your things that you're trying to give away.
Speaker 2: I gotta build this up. I gotta think it is in my mind. I want it to be a thing.
Speaker 8: Put it in your will.
Speaker 2: The least serious funeral of all time.
Speaker 8: I like that.
Speaker 2: That's the only way I'll get people show up.
Speaker 8: To Okay, man Bingo.
Speaker 2: He was a real a hole and I don't want anything to do with this guy. Okay, Well I got a chance to win the door prize.
Speaker 7: So you have to bribe people to open bar, open bar, Bingo, corn hoole, maybe beer. I'm here, it's it's beer Olympics. Ye there you go, there, you baby. You also can watch the Olympics this weekend too.
Speaker 2: You ain't drinking, you ain't coming next all right.
Speaker 7: So after you go to Bingo and again this is for tomorrow, they are doing Marty Grass around the corner Marty Gras at the park in Washington Park.
Speaker 8: And this is a full day thing from noon to six.
Speaker 7: It's supposed to be a little bit warmer, So get your butt out of the house, get some steps in they're gonna have music all day and the different lineup of music throughout the day. We're gonna have like face painting and jugglers and stilt walkers and fire dancers and fortune tellers.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I feel like that's the party. It is a party.
Speaker 2: It's just a vibe. It's not like you have to watch them. They're just around for the atmosphere. Decoration, human decoration, entertainment is what they like to call it.
Speaker 8: It's a vibe.
Speaker 7: And they're gonna have a kin cake eating contest, endless drinks so you can hang out at the porch.
Speaker 8: I'm a firm believer that Washington.
Speaker 7: Park, that little porch area that they built out, that little bar area, it's just so fun. So add that to your lineup and it's affordable, right, And maybe while you're down there, maybe you want to swing over to Finlay Market and then this could be your time to do a little stroll, get some dinner and maybe because if you didn't make a reservation, you just make dinner at home, but you have day plans instead of night.
Speaker 2: I gotcha. And when is this going down?
Speaker 8: This is happening tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Okay, So if you didn't book a dinner, reverse your day, do stuff during the day and then maybe make a dinner.
Speaker 2: And it's a little yeah, okay, got it. So it's a little Marty Graff. Speaking of which, speaking Tuesday night, I will be doing again with Sheila Gray, my queen, and Sarah's going to be there.
Speaker 1: John John's going to be there from Kiss one o seven. Tom Brenneman, my boy's.
Speaker 2: Going to be there.
Speaker 1: This will be his first, his first Marty Graft for homeless Kids at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center. So tickets available still at Marty Grot twenty twenty six dot Oregon. The money goes it's like one hundred bucks. Take one hundred and twenty five for the VIP, which is an hour, get an extra hour drinking and eating nice and it all goes to feed homeless kids in Cincinnati north of Kentucky for whole year, oh year of lunch. I love it. And you eat and drink and it's unbelievable. You're done by ten o'clock. So yeah, you can go home and not ruin your day the next day unless you want you or get a hotel across the street, take the day off.
Speaker 2: I ain't judging I think that's a great idea. Have done that before and it's a blast, it's it's and you've been and it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the food is great. Yeah, I do actually all.
Speaker 7: Right now with Tom this is his first year going. Is he going to try to dethrown you or do you feel that's good? And I don't feel does you know you could get heat in the head with somebody.
Speaker 1: Doesn't know that? Not that fancy. Yeah, he's gonna get haze, right, you.
Speaker 8: Know, hopefully this power just doesn't get to your head and.
Speaker 2: Trying it always does?
Speaker 8: It really does? It really does. What are you gonna wear?
Speaker 7: Well? You have?
Speaker 2: I always have the cape and the helmet? What does that call it? The crown? You should you should wear? I need help. I gotta dig out. I don't know where it is my old hockey helmet with the visor on it. Where you get that?
Speaker 8: Oh that's funny?
Speaker 5: H Yeah?
Speaker 8: And so Marty grow up right?
Speaker 7: Speaking of Also at Filly Marching, they are doing a Marty Gras Brunch action on Sunday. So we've moved on to Sunday and it's kind of an all day thing from ten to four o'clock. You can buy tickets ahead of time it's sample tickets, or you can buy them on site. And you want to talk about a slew of every possible you know, taste testing opportunity from Marty Girl, Classics from Eli's Barbecue pro Yes, Taste the Belgium like everything.
Speaker 8: And then they also have a line of.
Speaker 7: Sweet treats, treats, sweat treats if he wants some sweat treats.
Speaker 8: I do love kN cake.
Speaker 2: I never I'll tell you what, I'm not a huge fan of king cake because I've had It's like and Servati does ours at the end, and they brought some the other day. I had a huge piece. It was so good. When it's fresh, it was amazing. It's the icing, It's the icing.
Speaker 8: It's the There's just something about the king cake.
Speaker 2: You know they put it on because it's kind of like they take like a gloved hand or maybe just the bare hand and they just scoop the cream up and just splat it all over the top of the cake with our bare hands.
Speaker 8: Is that yeah? Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, makes it just over the top of it. Their hands all full of like kinkcake color.
Speaker 7: Honestly, that's probably that's very genius because I feel like anytime I try to put icing.
Speaker 2: On, we're supposed to look all and then they dump a ton of colored sugar on top of it too, so it covers it all. It fits the nooks and crannies. It's a whole time. It's a lot of sugar.
Speaker 7: Sprinkles. Sprinkles are having a comeback. I'm just saying, all right, so get yourself a cancake. Dial in on that. Just some other quick things, real quick. Yeah again, if you didn't plan last minute, here we go. You see the health ice rink downtown, Maybe look into going ice skating because as it worms up, who.
Speaker 2: Knows reservation at this point? Good luck?
Speaker 8: Good luck?
Speaker 7: Yeah, sorry, we tried. We tried a couple of weeks in advance. Cobblestone and OTR they're doing this Cupid's Corner pop up. I mean, Valentine's Day threw up in that bar and it looks great. Eaton Park, maybe take can stroll an eating park, get some takeout, favorite Chinese joint, whatever it might be.
Speaker 2: Why it's gonna be one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and then also another thing that could be fun a record store and like coffee shop combo if you're music people. Maybe turn that into a date. Head to a coffee shop and then go to a record store.
Speaker 1: Sure you're gonna you're scribbing the bottom barrel. If you didn't plan, now that's what you're gonna be doing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I try.
Speaker 2: It's gonna go to Speedway, get some beef, jerk in a trucker, had Ali Martin, Local Loop at Ali Martin the number eight. Go see my shirt there, get one for yourself, Go Bills, Go Bengals, and of course the Local Loop with Ali Martin. Who's your channel on YouTube? Thanks appreciate you friend. Let's do a news update. Have a great weekend. Back Monday at nine oh six on the Home of the Red seven hundred W Dowt Cincenati