Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're geta running back.
Speaker 1: To get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse live at corps Field. After the Rockies hold on and survive the Dodgers four to three, we're with you until nine o'clock tonight. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers fall to the Rockies tonight, four to three. Emmitt Sheehan did not have his good fastball command tonight, so he wasn't able to duplicate what Tyler Glass now was able to to do last night and just pound the strike zone with fastballs. It was just one of those nights for Sheihan, one of those nights for the Dodger offense, which had opportunities and they just weren't able to cash them in an unfortunate night. But it's gonna happen. The Dodgers are not perfect. They're not running the table on the rest of the season, and it was their first loss to a National League team ten and one. They are now against the National League and go figure, the first loss is handed to them by the Rockies, but still with baseball's best record at fifteen to five, and look, got two more games against the Rockies here at Corsfield. We'll see how it plays tomorrow afternoon with Roki Sasaki at the plate. All right, so here is a question. I brought this up to Jose Mota, and I'm a firm believer. The contact play has been going on since the mid two thousand. Mike Soshia put it on virtually every time there was a runner at third base and less than two outs. Freddie Freeman tripled with one out and you got ti Oscar Hernandez at the plate. Muncy who is off tonight. You could tell that he just wasn't in sync at the plate and you're down a run at that point in time. That's a perfect situation for the contact play. If the contact play is on, Freddie Freeman scores easily. Kyle Carross made a great play to stop the ball going into left field. He made a diving stop behind the third base bag to throw out taoscar Hernandez. Freeman scores easily if there's a contact play, and that would have tied the game and put a little bit more pressure on the Rockies at that point in time. Instead, Freeman still standing at third base, and he was standing there at the end of the inning because the Dodgers could not cash him in. That was one opportunity missed. In the eighth inning, the Dodgers had runners at first and second, nobody out and couldn't score a run. They had bases loaded, two outs. Max Munsey struck out. That was an unfortunate sequence of events. And in the seventh inning, Alex Call came off the bench for Alex Friedland, who kind of jammed his thumb. Call got hit by the first pitch he saw and promptly was picked off at first base. We talked about the bottom of the order being so vital to the Dodgers' success tonight, they didn't get much production out of the bottom of the order, and Call getting picked off prevented a chance of a bigger inning with Otani coming to the plate. So those were some of the moments where I felt like the Dodgers had an opportunity to do more. They were zero for seven with runners in scoring position tonight eight men left on bass and uh, look those nights are going to happen. But I really thought the sixth inning, after the Freeman one out triple, that was the big missed opportunity. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. I mentioned this during the Clubhouse show as well. But another big at bat was in the ninth inning. No, not just Kyle Tucker, but Sho Hao Tani coming up after Will Smith hit a seeing I single up the middle to keep the game alive, to bring up baseball's best player and most dangerous hitter in show Heotani facing Victor Vodnik show Hao Tani versus Wognik. That's that's advantage Otani. And look he got a base hit. But it was a big victory for Vodnik to keep Otani in the ballpark because it very easily could have been a two run, go ahead home run by show Hao Tani and dead it was a single and that brought up Kyle Tucker, who, let's face it, it's been struggling his first few weeks as a Dodger, even though tonight he had three hits coming into that last at bad, including a two run home run in the first inning. Couldn't understand why he was swinging first pitch after what he saw with Will Smith and o'tani facing Vodnik. But he swung first pitch and it was a lazy fly ball to the left field and the game was over. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from the Dodger right fielder Kyle Tucker on Sports at LA so bad.
Speaker 4: I mean, some of bats are better than others. I just needed to try and carry it over to each of bat in each game rather than just kind of here and there. But I hope they'll just continue doing that tomorrow as well.
Speaker 1: He guys actually had sknock too, especially late in this game. What did you find just when it came to I guess kind of leaving runners on or even just kind of falling shorts with later in this one.
Speaker 4: I mean it happens at times, you know, they we're facing big league pitchers and they're they got some guys in there. And their bullpen that can you know, Pitt really well. But you know, at the same time, we got to do our part. You know, we had some opportunities with guys on base, especially late, just got to find ways to get hits or just get those guys in. So it happens at times, but you just got to do a better job at it. What's the home run like? To be able to attack a first pitch like that, Like when you're.
Speaker 1: Talking about ending at thats sooner and not getting behind an account, Like, is that an example of kind of what you're talking about to be able.
Speaker 4: To Yeah, I mean I've kind of fat off pitches like that or like swung through some. I mean it wasn't bad pitches, you know, heater at the top of the zone, but you know, I feel like I should be able to hit those pitches and stay on top and say through them and you know, barrel them up more often. But it's just a good swing right there.
Speaker 3: Good pulls ball.
Speaker 4: They are a couple of times this week. Does that whet to tell you that the swing is just getting closer to where you kind of want it. Yeah, that's the thing. I mean, you know, like I said, I have had good swings that I just need to carry over to the next I bat in the next about in the next game, rather than just kind of sporadically throughout. So I just have a few good A bads and good swings. I just need to do a better job at carrying it over to the next one.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Kyle Tucker on sports Net LA, a little surprised why nobody asked him why he's swung at the first pitch in the ninth inning. That's the question in the game context. We're not talking bigger picture here. That last at bat was a game ending play and kind of a head scratcher swinging at the first pitch right there. So missed opportunity to ask Kyle Tucker the most important question of the night. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. We're going to take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back more of your phone calls. We'll get into another big question that I have, as far as the way baseball keeps records of streaks, hitting streaks, scoreless inning streaks, and on bass streaks. Otani extended his tonight in his last at bat with the single. There's a there's a head scratching question that nobody's asking, and we'll get to that as we continue live from coors Field after the Dodgers fall to the Rockies tonight four to three on A five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bassi.
Speaker 2: One one delivery, Hey Sin, it's a high flyve aall alright, carrying HiT's back toward the wall.
Speaker 3: It is going to.
Speaker 2: Be gone off the top of the wall. Dalton rushing, Well, there's fifth home run of the season and it's three to one. Dalton rushing in his first at bat, homers to right field over the high score board wall here at Corsfield. That was his fifth home run in his first eighteen at bats this year. Unfortunately, not enough for the Dodgers, as the Rockies hold on to beat the Dodgers tonight four to three. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card, visit AM five to seventy. LA sports dot Com used the keyword home run into your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream eight six six nine to eight seven two five seventy. Speaking of Dalton Rushing, he's been very patient waiting for his opportunities. He's come into this year with a different mindset than what he had when he was called up last year. A guy that has not been the starting catcher day since maybe never. He was in high school, he was in college, he was in the minor leagues, and this is the first time he's a backup, and there's a different mentality that goes into that, especially for a guy that believes he is the man. But he understands Will Smith is the man on the Dodgers. He's not going anywhere, and he's gonna play at least six five, six times a week and.
Speaker 3: He has to wait his turn.
Speaker 2: But how do you get Dalton Rushing more at bats because it seems like he can be a difference maker with one swing of the bat. I know the Dodgers going into last year and it played out that way, wanted to keep Will Smith fresh for the postseason, and by doing that, they wanted a catcher that can give them a little something as far as throwing behind the plate, some offense behind the plate, and Dalton Rushing is that type of guy. But if it's not behind the play and Rushing's hot, is it? At first base? Freddie Freeman is still, you know, swinging the bat really well. But like I said, big picture, thirty six years old, would it benefit Freddy Freeman to get more days off as we go through the summer and Dalton Rushing and Will Smith being in the same lineup with Rushing at first base and Smith catching just to keep if we're talking about keeping guys fresh and we're talking big picture, wouldn't that help Freddie Freeman Because you know, there are times that maybe he shows his age during the summer. Maybe he's going through it, and he's a big believer that the way he gets out of slumps is by playing every day. But I think you have to adjust as you get older, even if you're playing first base.
Speaker 3: But I'm not saying that we're at.
Speaker 2: The point that we were in twenty seventeen where Adrian Gonzalez was running out of gas at first base and Cody Bellinger needed to get in that lineup and really took off one rookie of the year. But certainly, you know, if we're talking big picture, like the Dodgers always talk about, I don't see any harm in Dalton rushing getting more starts at first base. Not necessarily now, but as you go through the summer into August, to keep Freddie Freeman fresh and ready for October. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Rockies beat the Dodgers tonight four to three in Game two of a four game set here at Coors Field. Show Heyo Tani reached base twice on errors that would not have extended his on base streak. What extended it was his two out single in the ninth inning, which gave him an on base streak of fifty games.
Speaker 3: Here's the question.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the Dodgers have not played fifty games this year, so it's on base streak that carried over from a year ago. Have you ever asked yourself why baseball allows a streak and on base streak to carry over from one season to the next, but they don't allow a hitting streak to carry over from one season to the next. That seems a little peculiar to me, that's not something that you would accept as I don't know. Maybe that's why I'm not putting a lot of weight into this on base streak. And there's a number of ways to get on base, and he's the leadoff hitter. It's impressive that he's gotten on base in fifty consecutive regular season games. But every season's new. How many times do we hear major league players say every season is unique. That's behind us, that's behind me. Well, why does a hitting streak not carry over? But an on base streak does? And if I remember correctly, Oral Herscheiser's fifty nine consecutive scoreless innings in the regular season carried over from nineteen eighty eight to nineteen eighty nine. They're going to carry that over as well. And honestly, Oral had sixty seven consecutive scoreless innings, but they didn't count what he did in his first start in the NLCS against the Mets. So just a baseball question wondering why that is the case and hitting streaks do.
Speaker 3: Not carry over?
Speaker 2: Eight seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Rockies tonight, four to three. Brendan Bernardino, the winning pitcher, Victor Vodnik gets the safe and Will Klein takes the loss. How about Ryan Feltner? He hung in there for five and two thirds innings, only gave up that two run home run to Kyle Tucker, and he gave up a solo home run to Dalton Rushing. I actually thought Feltner was tipping his pitches because five out of the first six Dodgers swung at first pitch fastballs, so I was thinking a crooked number was coming because I felt like maybe the Dodgers had a tip on Feltner. And what's interesting, if they did have a tip, he either executed better, or the Dodgers mispitches, or a combination of both, or something that rarely happens may have happened tonight. A lot of times pitchers have told me, yeah, I was tipping. I knew I was tipping, but there was nothing I could do. And they go back to the video room after the start or in between starts, and they identify what they were tipping. But it's very difficult for a pitcher to identify when he's or how he's tipping pitches. So if Feltner was tipping pitches, that's pretty impressive. That he was able to correct that in the middle of the game, and the Dodgers kind of let him off the hook, let some of the Rockies' relievers off the hook, and they fall tonight four to three. First lost to a National League team tonight, the Dodgers fall to Colorado of all teams. But hey, they lost twice to the Rockies last year as well. They won eleven out of thirteen from the Rockies, so they didn't sweep all thirteen games from the Rockies last year on their way to the championship. A few other things going on in Major League Baseball that I felt like, maybe just to put how good the Dodgers are playing into context. The team with the second best record now in the National League and all of Major League Baseball to the Dodgers, are the Atlanta Braves. The surprising Atlanta Braves are fourteen and seven now, their percentage points behind the Dodgers for the best record in baseball. The Dodgers are fifteen and five. They have one more win than the Padres, who are playing in Anaheim tonight. Also something interesting about the NL East. The Braves are the only team to be above five hundred in that division.
Speaker 3: The second place.
Speaker 2: Marlins are nine to twelve and oh, by the way, the Mets lost their ten in a row. The Mets are seven and fourteen. That's the same record as teams like the Blue Jays who are in last place, the Royals, the White Sox, and also the Astros who are eight and fourteen. The Phillies are looking old. Speaking of looking old, they're looking old. The only division in baseball right now that have all of the teams in the division above five hundred is the NL Central. Every team first place to last place is above five hundred. The Reds are in first place thirteen and eight. The Cubs are eleven and nine in last place in the NL Central.
Speaker 3: So there we go.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, last night, I know there was a report from the athletic that Ryan Ward is being called up.
Speaker 3: He was not here. He was not here today.
Speaker 2: That move probably coming tomorrow, and I'll let the dot, you know, figure out what that move is going to be. But why is everybody freaking out over Ryan Ward? I like Ryan Ward a lot. I know he won the PCL Player of the Year, but I love the Dodgers calling him up for a few days just to reward him for all that because he still hasn't made his major league debut. But it's not like the Dodgers are calling up Corey Seeger a Cody Bellinger. They're calling up Ryan Ward for a short period of time for whatever reason that's going to be. But look, I like Ryan Ward. He's a great guy. But the way the media and some of the bloggers react to his name, he's twenty eight years old and hasn't made his major league debut yet, he's a He could be a guy in the past where the Dodgers didn't have the wherewithal to sign players like ta Oscar Hernandez or Kyle Tucker to maybe get more of a runway, similar to them finding Max Munsey. But fortunately for Ryan Ward, there's no spot for him on this roster. So look, I like him, but there's no spot on this on this roster for him right now, So we'll see what the move is going to be. But Ryan Ward's locker was not there before tonight's game. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions of payouts every race day.
Speaker 3: For heart pounding action and.
Speaker 2: New experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events all Right. Before the game today, had a chance to get into the manager's office and talk to Dave Roberts for a one on one conversation.
Speaker 3: Here's how it went, and certainly Dave deserves.
Speaker 2: A lot of credit for the success the Dodgers have had since taking over in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dave, it's always good catching up with you, and yeah, we're off to a good start. And you know it's interesting is yesterday we were in the midst of snow and today it's clear skies and it's seventy degrees. Dave.
Speaker 2: One thing that I'm not sure everybody can wrap their head around. You're the manager. You're never feeling comfortable, no matter how good the record is. How do you handle this with the team playing as well as it has.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 5: I think that there's a realistic perspective, a presence in the sense of appreciating that you're winning more than you're losing, which is good. But I think as a manager you're always mindful of trying to keep things on the rails and moving forward, So you know, whether it's player staff, how we play, you know, the mindset, the mechanics part of it, and just trying to have a pulse on that. So but again still being positive, appreciating the start we're off at.
Speaker 2: This time last year, the defense was a little inconsistent, the bullpen was a little leaky. How big had those two areas contributed to having the best record to start the year both.
Speaker 5: I think that certainly the bullpen has done a fantastic job. There was obviously, you know, going back to last year, there's a lot of questions with the pen, and then you know, coming into the spring, how the spring some of these guys had. There were some questions kind of coming into the season, but all those questions have been answered up to this point, and you know, so I'm really excited about what they're doing. And the starting pitchers have done a fantastic job. And obviously we saw what Tyler did last night, and hopefully emmittt can build on what he's done the last couple outings and the defense, and so I think that for me, it's what Andy's done it in centerfield, what Max has done at third base, and obviously, you know, you expect the shortstop play to be really good even without Mookie out. But I think Tao has done a great job. I think Tucks played a really nice defense and a nice right field and Freddy's sunwell. So across the diamond, we're playing well and it's good to see.
Speaker 2: Is it fair to say it feels like the pieces are fitting a little better defensively this year?
Speaker 5: They are, they are, but I just feel that we're also playing better. I think that you know, Max looks a lot better, He's in better shape. I think that Freddie's done a lot to work on his mobility, which has helped, and obviously adding Tucker, I think Tucker's done a nice job in right field. And then I think Tao's inspired and he's playing really good left field, and he's getting off the ball really well. And Andy continues to make stride, so it's fun to see. And at second base, Alex Friulan, one of the things that we asked him to do is play good defense, and he's done that and getting Haysong Kim in the mix, he's you know, been a wonder at second and a shortstop. So across the board, it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 2: It's so unique you come off back to back championships, yet individually it seems like some of your better players are still playing with a chip on their shoulder. Have you have you experienced anything like this? How unique it is for so many guys that have won but are acting like they haven't one yet.
Speaker 5: I've never seen anything like this, you know. It seems like every year I say, this is the best group of men I've ever been around, And this is the best group I've ever been around. And it's the character, it's how they work, the focus, and yeah, I think that these guys understand the opportunity we have as far as the chance to win three in a row, something that's unprecedented in the National League, and they want to make their market baseball on Dodger history. So but with that, you still got to go out there every day and play the right way. And that's what I really marvel at, you know, because I think that there's no talk of a let down, a hangover, because I do think that you know yourself, and people that are familiar with our ball club know that that's not who we are, and we're showing that with the start that we've had.
Speaker 2: Dave Roberts is our guest in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Rockies. Here's another thing I'm curious about.
Speaker 3: You have so many really good players, and you know this.
Speaker 2: You have to have a certain level of ego to be as good as some of these guys are. How have you found a way How have they found a way to check their egos at the door, because there's other teams out there that have a big egos and they can't seem to do that.
Speaker 5: It starts with Freddie Freeman. I think that he's uh, you know, he's going to be a first ballot Hall of Famer. There's there's not an entinement, there's a there's a gratitude, there's a responsibility. I think that you know, with our guys, this game doesn't need any of us. And I think our guys have that appreciation the responsibility to go out there and play a certain way. And I do think that with success comes an inflated ego. And you know, the media, the fans telling you how good you are, but you can't let that bleed into your psyche because I do believe that, you know, the saying, you're never as good as they say, and you're never as bad, and so our guys have that even keeled mindset and that grinder minds set. And when you take a lot of talent, like minded talent and you perform the way we do and prepare the way we do, that's why we have something special.
Speaker 2: You can appreciate this more than most being a UCLA Bruin going to college there with Coach Wooden being around, his famous saying was make every day your masterpiece? In other words, do you feel like you and your players try to make every day your masterpiece without getting too far ahead?
Speaker 5: I love that and I love that, and I think for me it's every day's a test, you know, And I think that you know, what you did yesterday doesn't you know, matter today, And so it's hard to you know, to make a masterpiece. But I respect what coach wouldn't said I and I love that mindset, that idea, and me being a Bruin as well, I love it, and I think for me it's just to add on to that is you know, every day's a test. You know, you're you're trying to prepare, and you know you got you gotta pass a test, and nothing is owed to you. So very similar and for me to be even mentioned in the same breadth as coach Wood, and there's something that's truly humbling for me.
Speaker 3: All Right, Dave, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: It is incredible to watch this run of success that you've had since you've taken over managing the Dodgers since twenty sixteen. And we'll make today our masterpiece.
Speaker 5: Love it. Thanks Dave.
Speaker 2: There he was Dave Roberts our pregame guest earlier today. And look, even though the Dodgers lost tonight and they were zero for seven with runners in scoring position, this was the first game the Dodgers had lost to a National League team, they still have baseball's best record and coming off back to back World Series championships. Dave Roberts deserves a tip of the cap, certainly for the job he has done over the years. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Coming up tomorrow, Roki Sasaki will be on the mound. He's going up against Mike Lorenzen. Our coverage begins with Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck at eleven am, first pitch at twelve ten. Thanks to calling you back at our Burbank Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Corsfield, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: App once again.
Speaker 2: The final score tonight the Rockies defeat the Dodgers four to three.
Speaker 3: Have a great rest of your Saturday. Seeales and