Speaker 1: Have we ever heard of a tilt table test by any other names? Yeah, that's all I know it as well, I should say that's all I read it as.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of it before.
Speaker 1: I don't even think I know anybody that's taken one, now that I know what it is now.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what are they looking to measure?
Speaker 2: Why you faint?
Speaker 4: That's only for people who faint, That's what it sounds.
Speaker 2: Well or or well maybe maybe.
Speaker 3: Is this getting into vertigo world?
Speaker 2: The I don't think so. I don't think so. Sore.
Speaker 1: There's a woman, Janet Murcelle, and she was very prone.
Speaker 2: She was very prone to fainting.
Speaker 1: So she grew up in upstate New York and she passed out a couple of times, once at school, once at the grocery store. But like anything else, her parents just kind of wrote it off and was like, you know what, not a big deal.
Speaker 2: Like people can let me think about it.
Speaker 1: If you passed out, you could find a way to write that off and go, oh you know.
Speaker 2: What, Yeah, I didn't need enough.
Speaker 1: It's it's hot, muggy like whatever, I got up too fast like whatever, Like you find a reason to kind of write off, you would know that something was wrong. Then in her twenties, she began collapsing more frequently, once on the subway, then on a mall escalator and fell into two teenage boys who were behind her.
Speaker 2: She passed out in a movie theater, and she.
Speaker 1: Would always wake up with people like gathered around her.
Speaker 4: That's really scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be terrifying.
Speaker 1: Christian, will you do me a favor while I'm getting through this, will you see if you can find me anybody who's heard of a tilt table test.
Speaker 2: I also don't understand why.
Speaker 1: I have to say it with such a nunciation, a tiltation till table test. Yeah, but you could say it's fast till table test. Maybe it's because I don't want to make it sound like I'm saying tit or till. Well, so just say Till's not even a word tilt.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what.
Speaker 4: Thinks that is the word tit.
Speaker 1: No, because if you say the if you say because it ends in a tea and starts with a T, so it could sound like I'm saying tit table test.
Speaker 4: No, it doesn't, okay, tilt table test. Doesn't that involve a pencil The pencil holder. I thought you had one for the breast.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh absolutely yeah? No, what is what is that old? If you're if you could put if if you can put a pencil under your titties and it doesn't hold, you don't need no bra huh?
Speaker 2: So again the no, isn't that right?
Speaker 1: Like, it's the titty test, the titty pencil test, right, And if you you're.
Speaker 5: You're invented by middle school boys because girls don't really care about that.
Speaker 2: Girls don't care about the size of their breast.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying the actual pencil test at a at.
Speaker 1: A slumber party or a sleepover or a keen seria. You and your friends never did a titty test. No, well, hell you.
Speaker 2: Didn't have to, Diane, come on at sixteen? Please anyway, this woman?
Speaker 4: So this was published in seventy one in an Anne Landers column.
Speaker 2: Wait are we?
Speaker 4: What are we going to a pencil test? Oh?
Speaker 1: Let me put all stuff aside, let me focus here? Wait so hand wait did Anne Landers do it? No?
Speaker 4: She wrote?
Speaker 2: What was her column?
Speaker 1: She was?
Speaker 3: She was like, dear Abby, So I don't think she had.
Speaker 4: Something like that.
Speaker 2: I have a question for Anne Landers. Hey, can you hold the can you hold a pencil under your titties.
Speaker 4: It's also used later to determine if the breasts are sagging.
Speaker 1: Well, if you weren't able to hold it and now you can, you know, if you can't see. That's also the That's also number one, the pancake test older and number.
Speaker 2: Two is if your titties come out the bottom of your skirt.
Speaker 4: In nineteen seventy five, the student Senate of the University of Texas passed a dress code that, among other things, made it mandatory for women to wear a broth. They could not pass the pencil test. Oh my right on you tee.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's but that's where it comes from.
Speaker 1: If you if you couldn't hold the if you couldn't hold a pencil, you you ain't got to wear no bra.
Speaker 5: You t didn't want the women walking around without bras.
Speaker 1: On the not not if they had not, if they had some everything's big in Texas.
Speaker 4: Anyway, back to the tilt table test.
Speaker 1: The tilt table test. So anyway, this woman she goes on she thought maybe that she had mono and that's what.
Speaker 2: Was doing it.
Speaker 1: She was she was passing out all the time. She she actually passed out once. There was a serious one. She was driving from a friend's house to her parents' house. She fainted behind the wheel and hit a tree. Oh god, she was able to start over time. This is going on for a while to like start recognizing some symptoms.
Speaker 2: Of like when these famous was coming on. So she started going to the doctors.
Speaker 1: First they were like, you're having panic attacks, and then they thought she was having epilepsy. She had to wear all these monitors like everything. Finally, at some point, several physicians conducted what is known as the tilt table test, which can help pinpoint the cause of fainting and other symptoms, but it doesn't say what the other symptoms were. Have all these people had the test, the tilt table test? Where am I going?
Speaker 2: Line four?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's almost like I'm I'm like like rehearsing for like like live theater tilt table test.
Speaker 4: Oh, you mean like you're warming up?
Speaker 1: Yes, the tilt table test, Unique New York.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna miss my shot tilt table test.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna miss my shot my three. I've never seen that show. Hi, ellieah the Morning.
Speaker 1: Sorry play I'm sorry? Yes, Hi, who is ort to it. I'm sorry, who is this?
Speaker 6: It's Lonnie, Dan and Richmond.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Brother?
Speaker 7: How are you doing all right? How are you this morning?
Speaker 2: Good? What are you familiar with the tilt table test?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I blacked out on planes only. I've never blacked out on the ground, and every flight, four out of my last six flights, I blacked out. So I ended up going to the doctor and they wanted to do a pacemaker because when I passed out, not only did I pass out, but I flatlined.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: So they put me on this tilt table test and the doctor's like, it's an hour and a half long test. It's boring, nothing really happens, but we have to rule out some stuff. I was thirty eight years old. Seven minutes into the test, I flat lined for thirty one seconds?
Speaker 2: What did they do?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 1: And then I want to get to that part of it. I'm not pushing that aside. So does how does it work? Do you just lay down on this table?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: They put you on a table and they put it at certain degrees. They raise and lower it to try to get your blood to pull in your legs, which causes you know, the blackout. Because your blood's not circulating right. So I guess when I was on a plane, sitting in the seat, you know, you know, my blood was all in my legs and it would cause me to black out. It would give me about a thirty second warning. I could feel it coming on, but I couldn't figure out how to stop it.
Speaker 1: So when you were when you were on the planes and you blacked out, would you come to like laying in the aisle with people working on you.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: When it first started, it was I'd black out for three to five seconds.
Speaker 7: It was really quick.
Speaker 6: And luckily my wife's a nurse, so i'd look at her and say, hey, don't freak out, but I'm getting ready to pass out again. Wow, I would I would go out, and then you know, when the plane would land, they'd have ems and everything waiting, and they'd do the blood presser and the EKG and of course by the time we landed, I was all good. But the last time we went to the Vegas it was a lot longer, and the pilot wanted to divert the plane. We were halfway back from Vegas to Atlanta, and he's like, we're going to land in Kansas City, and I'm like, I don't know anybody in Kansas City, dude.
Speaker 2: Not and nothing wrong with Kansas City. But we're going to Vegas.
Speaker 1: And you know, people on that plane were like, screw it, let him die, Like we're getting to Vegas.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we got the Vegas seven days in the sun and he didn't have any issues and then flat lined on the plane on the way home.
Speaker 1: Goddamn god, I've wanted to die on the way home from Vegas. Hey, what was the the So did you end up getting one of those leadless pacemakers?
Speaker 6: No, they it in the hard wire in two thousand and eight. Yeah, and then they said, oh, you're good to go, you can fly. You know, everything should be good now. At least you have a rhythm when you when you have your spells.
Speaker 7: And I was.
Speaker 6: It's diagnosed as electro cardiosyncope, So I've got to disconnect my my brain would get a signal that my blood pressure is really elevated, so it would suppress it, and when it did, I would my blood pressure down.
Speaker 2: You go interesting. Interesting, So that's what it was.
Speaker 6: And you know they're trying to link it back to I was in desert storm, so all the anthrax, vaccinations and everything that we we went through to get over there, right, you know, as having some you know, I've been I'm fifty seven now. I had a heart attack last year. But other than that, it's been pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My buddy Mark Bramerman had a heart attack on the weekend anyway, this last weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how is he? I think? Okay, I think so you've checked in the I got it. I just got a note about it. I got a note about it. Anyway. Hey, I appreciate it, Thank you, sir, Thank you. Min friend. That's scary. He's flat lining on a plane.
Speaker 4: Now, will you follow up please for us on him?
Speaker 2: He's good?
Speaker 3: No, your friend?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I got to send a couple of texts today. Where am I going line?
Speaker 1: For?
Speaker 2: Hi? Yelliet in the morning?
Speaker 8: Hey, good morning?
Speaker 1: Good are you calling me? You're calling me about one of two tests? Which one is it?
Speaker 8: Well? My wife loves to play the uh tentful game. Oh and she likes to make sure that she's good with it.
Speaker 2: So your wife, your wife can hold a pencil under your titties.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, how about you?
Speaker 2: How about you.
Speaker 8: On a good given day?
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh, there's got to be a little gotta be a good day, a little humidity, and a little Yeah. What do you and I have in common? We both like big boobs.
Speaker 1: Hey, so let me ask you this. Have you have you taken a tilt table test?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I took it.
Speaker 8: At this February, I was having crazy issues with my heart rate. It was getting close to like two hundreds with exercise, and then my heart rate was just hanging out in like the one fifties. And I have a history of passing out, but I thought that maybe because it was warm out, because I would always be exercising and like the heat and I'm like, I'm just dehydrated.
Speaker 2: And all this stuff.
Speaker 8: Well, I told the doctor, I was like, this ain't normal. I'm my heart rate. I'm thirty something years old. My heart rate shouldn't be close to two hundreds. So, long story short, had to get a tilt table test, even though the heart doctor said that it's not a guarantee that it can diagnose you because you know, you don't have your symptoms all the time.
Speaker 1: But that was the.
Speaker 8: Worst thing I ever experienced. I said to myself, like, if someone wants to torture me, this is how they should torture me because I wanted to die. Wait fifteen minutes later, I said, just take me.
Speaker 2: Wait the test is that bad? Why is the test so bad?
Speaker 8: It was very miserable for me because you're just sitting in this room for like two hours and you're strapped down. Your right arm has a blood pressure cuff, your left arm has a blood pressure cuff, and your finger's got the like pressure probe on right and it's like simultaneously going off and it's just like it just keeps on going in the same like motion. And then afterwards they tilt you up just a little bit and they have you blow as hard as you can into this little I don't know mechanism thing, and basically they want to make you pass out right, so you know, I can't see, and I start to pass out on them.
Speaker 1: Right, So you're getting like that tunnel vision where everything's coming to a point.
Speaker 8: Yeah, exactly, I hate that. So they tilt it back yep, and then they rechecked your vitals again and then they'll stand you up once again. My legs are strapped, I have straps over my like abdomen and my arms like I'm just on a table like Jesus and just sitting there. I'm like, I just want to go to sleep.
Speaker 1: Like so you said yours was caused by your heart rate being too high. This woman that I was reading about, they they ended up. They ended up saying that she had brady cardia, which is your blood your blood level is too low. So does that so do you pass out on both extremes where it's too high or too low?
Speaker 8: Braid of cardia is not low blood, it's just your heart rate slow.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, slow heart rate, slow heart rate.
Speaker 8: You're right, yes, I'm a nurse too, but yeah, so my what happens is your when your heart rate does drop, of course you black out. So when I was doing the like the blowing, when I was standing up, my heart rate dropped down to twenty nine and she had to like flip me back. She was like, you're gonna die like I'm table wow, and put me upside down. So it's all the you know, blood flows back.
Speaker 2: Did you have to get a pacemaker?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 8: No, I got put on a bunch of medication. So I got diagnosed with it's called pots.
Speaker 2: Oh pots. We've heard of that, manh yeah, we've heard of that.
Speaker 8: Sure syndrome. It's a pain in the ass.
Speaker 2: Sorry, no, but you know what else is a pain in the ass. Fainting and passing out?
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, I can't stand up my heart rate so okay, I get up in the morning, I go to the bathroom and I threw my hair. My heart rate is one.
Speaker 2: Seventy one seventy.
Speaker 3: That's like somebody's running.
Speaker 2: Dude, that's crazy. I mean, must be a hell of a bowel movement.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: God, it sucks. And if I ever have to do CPR, I've told my coworkers I'm not getting on their chests because I'm next in line for CPR.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Hey, I appreciate the phone call. Thank you, ma'am.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Gabrid See, you also had it for a pot's diagnosis and it was super freaky. So the test is that freaking Well, think about what they're trying to bring about, what they're trying to trigger, Yeah, and the anticipation of it all, and you're hoping you're strapped in tight enough.
Speaker 1: But the like, I wouldn't be worried about that. But if I don't want to if what's the word I'm looking for normal, average somebody who doesn't have like deal with feigning spells, right, if you got on that table, would it just be like you're just on a table and you're going up and down and up and down, like there would be no effect.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there are some people who do faint with some regularity and get on that table and they can't recreate, they can't pass out. And I know they tipped her backwards to try to help reverse the sensation.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes they tilt you upright.
Speaker 4: But isn't it all when the tests always be upright? Are they ever actually tilting you back for the test.
Speaker 2: Your feet are higher than your head? Oh?
Speaker 4: I bet they do. I bet that's doing from parallel to perpendicular.
Speaker 2: That's nuts.
Speaker 1: And this poor woman, Yeah, well how about that guy he keeps passing out.
Speaker 2: On an airplane. This woman ended up with.
Speaker 1: A a leadless pacemaker because she had a low heart rate and so the heart would stop and so they would have to do compressions to get it going. So they gave her this leadless pacemaker, which they say is much less intrusive then a wired pacemaker, and also like what it does, it deals with one ventricle instead of both. But whatever the case. But as soon as the heart rate gets real low, it kicks in. I'd love one of those. Why preventative, preventative?
Speaker 3: Eventually you're going to need one, right, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: But I mean if you ever think I told you I believe I die from a heart attack, right, why wouldn't I want one just to get me.
Speaker 4: Going, especially coming off of that update from a friend the people.
Speaker 2: But people are on preventative things all the time.
Speaker 5: I don't know that people say preventative. Pacemaker is a thing.
Speaker 1: Some people take a vitamin as a preventative thing. Like we focus so much on the healing and not on the prevention. Let everybody get a pacemaker.
Speaker 4: So this says, if you do not faint or provoke the symptoms doctors are looking for, they'll give you nitroglycerin.
Speaker 2: Oh so they boint you out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that does that solve?
Speaker 2: How I How I faint? So it widens one way or the other, you're going down.
Speaker 4: The vessels, and then then they can test your body reacting to that stress. Then just give me that so you can see there's a lot of different parts of this elements of this test that could really mess you up. Sure whether it's you had fainted before, right, Yeah, remember she famously fainted at the radio station.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 5: And then I slid down the wall at Olive Garden because my friends were late and I hadn't eaten and I was having a big vokatonic.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe that's what you think it is. You wrote it off.
Speaker 3: Well, it's been a while, it's been years, So.
Speaker 2: Who was who was Chraconis?
Speaker 1: He was adjusting your shirt as they wheeled you out of the station. That's how they took everybody out of ca Cow on a gurney where you.
Speaker 4: Still do not faint after nitro glycerin during the post nitro time. I think I have a clip of him? Do I still have that?
Speaker 1: Is this so doesn't roll that way?
Speaker 4: If you still do not fator show major vital changes during the designated p n T post night short time. The tests is typically scored as negative for any of these, whether it's pots, whether it's brady cardia or what was the other one that I saw listed epilepsy? No, like, no, they rolled out epilepsy. Actually, what is it like the Vegas nerve or something?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: Is it like nanovagel or something like that? I feel like that was in the story, but I don't remember what that is. But like Nanovagel, Nanovagel, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Line six. Hi Elliott in the morning.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, Hi, who's this?
Speaker 2: Hey good? Did you have the tilt table test?
Speaker 7: Yes? I did, spend years ago. I'm fifty three now, it was twenty six at the time.
Speaker 2: Were you passing out a lot?
Speaker 7: When I passed out? I actually had seizures when I passed out. Du the reason I ended up in the hospital and having the test done. I was actually driving h with my then wife with my six month old in the back seat. Oh my god, I felt it coming on and I just got to the shoulder in time. And when I woke up, my foot was compressed on the pedal, full trottle. She was trying to get my foot off the pedal. Amblance had to take me to the hospital. They put me into George Washington. What they ended up doing, my version's a little different than what your previous callers. They did the tilt table test, and when they strapped you down, they had a cardiologist in the room with you. They had just about everybody possible. If you were to crash and they raise you up the first time, if they get nothing. They changed the angle a little bit, but with me, they actually injected me to get my heart rate to go up and the table hadn't even gone all the way up and I was out.
Speaker 1: Wow, no kidding, So what did they do with I'm sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 7: My blood press? As soon as my blood pressure would max out, it would just drop. It would go from as high as it could go to just bottom it out, and it would cause me to have a seizure. And it was called vasal vegasyncathe And they told me I would eventually because it's normal for some people to have that in their twenties. And then they were hoping I would, you know, grow out of that, which I did, but I had to take medication for years.
Speaker 1: So you never had to get like a like a like a pacemaker or anything. No.
Speaker 7: I did have to wear a unit which they had strapped around me that anytime that I started to feel like something was off, pushed the button and it would monitor me for a couple of years doing that. The problem for me was when you have this condition, people that try to hide it or anything. If you have a CDL, you are to report this and you know they will suspend your license. Right, you can get a medical right, so you can get a medical clean.
Speaker 1: But don't they say that is a problem. Like people with CDLs. They don't want to lose their jobs, so they don't report anything or even go to the doctor.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm not gonna lie if you're to self report. I did not because the medication I felt better, and it wasn't I wasn't driving, you know, over the road or anything. It was all local stuff. And then if I just didn't feel good, I did not drive. But once you report something, you're you're basically done. It takes forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, and I get it.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, do I think it's horrible, of course, but I understand the mindset.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was. It was rough because you know, being in the hospital as I was there my heart stopped. Waking up and being surrounded by people blue lights and realizing your heart had just stopped and you were out for two minutes. Yeah, it makes you take another view on lights and you know, been trying to take better care of myself. But this is just something that was having.
Speaker 2: It was Yeah, No, that's.
Speaker 1: Not Yeah, it's not because like I ate a lot of bacon, all right, very good, very good, Thank you sir, thank you, my friend.
Speaker 4: That's scary from snapchat and much like the next chapter of k CAL. We don't take song requests, but I do think to the person who had this, I do think Diane stopped fainting after she got a techno tamp.