Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begne.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again, Righero running back to.
Speaker 1: Get in on the show called eight six six, not eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasselasing.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David vasse with you until nine thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers put up an eighth spot and beat the Astros tonight eight to three behind a well pitched game from Yoshi Yamamoto, who went six innings tonight, struck out eight, allowed just three earned runs. Yamamotos record is now three and two. He beats Ryan Weiss, who is the second of five pitchers the Astros used tonight in a bullpen game. Weiss was charged with six earned runs and the Dodgers the National nightmare is over. They hit a home run, In fact, they hit two. Alex Freeland and Kyle Tucker went deep for the Dodgers tonight. Freeland was on base four times. Tonight, he had three hits. Tucker let off the third inning with a home run to right field, and that was good to see. It was a fastball on the third pitch of the at bat, and that's what Tucker does. He doesn't missed fastballs and he hits them for home runs like he did in that third inning. But we did get breaking news from Dave Roberts moments ago. So let's head back to Houston right now to hear from the Dodger manager who announced just moments ago that tomorrow's pitcher show, he Otani will only pitch and he will not dh wondering if his over seventeen slump has anything to do with it. So let's hear from the Dodger manager.
Speaker 3: I thought in that fourth at bat he was starting to feel something a little bit. I thought it looked better. I think he took a walk right there, and then he had the left you where he flew out to center field. So he's working hard. He's out there early today. You know, there were some good, some not so good. Tomorrow he is just going to pitch. I think tomorrow we're just gonna you know, I just decided that just kind of watching him, just give him the opportunity to focus on the pitching, uh, you know, rest his body, and then you know, we'll we'll figure o who's gonna be the designat of tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Same decision to take what during the game as you're watching him.
Speaker 3: Or during the game, during the game, just kind of seeing how things are going, and then I just felt that, you know, in my mind, just kind of seeing how it's playing out. I think it's best for for everyone. Is that for you a body language thing or is that like a results thing that you're seeing. Definitely not results. It's a little bit more body language and just kind of watching watching the player.
Speaker 5: If that's a mental off time, I think.
Speaker 2: So, yeah.
Speaker 3: I think regardless, it's it's still a big toll, you know. Anyway that and we've certainly enjoyed the fruits of him doing it, which he will continue to at times. But you know, I think for me, it's a start by start kind of readoact situation.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Dave Roberts giving his reason on why he decided in the middle of the game that show, hey, Otani will not be a two way player tomorrow instead, for the third time this season, O'tani will only pitch, and he's been phenomenal. He's coming off winning Pitcher of the Month in the month of April with an ERA of zero sixty. But Otani is in the longest slump of his major league career. He has one home run in his last eighty four plate appearances, he's oh for his last seventeen, and today did something that he rarely does. If you remember, during the postseason last year, he took batting practice on the field because he was in a little bit of a postseason hitting slump. And after he took betting practice the first time during the NLCS, he came back and hit three home runs and struck out ten Brewers in Game four of the clinching NLCS game against Milwaukee. But here's what's concerning shoeo Tani took fifty five swings in batting practice earlier today. He's thirty one years old, He's not twenty seven. That was the last time, basically twenty seven to twenty eight years old that he did both pitching and hitting, and he did it with the Angels who were not going anywhere. So there was a lot less mental physical toll on him. Not to mention his season was ending in September, not in November like it has the last couple of years. Not to mention again, I'll repeat this again, he's thirty one years old. It takes a thirty one year old starting pitcher five days to recover for his next start. Trust me, and the Dodgers and Otani are trying to do something that's never been done before. It seems like every time he's on the field, he's trying to do something he's never done before. He's done something already that nobody's done in modern baseball and b this grade of a four time MVP as a pitcher and a hitter. And you know, I honestly you go back and listen to those questions to Dave Roberts, somebody asked about whether or not it's mental toll. Yeah, I'm sure there's a mental toll going over your last seventeen when you're a fifty home run hitter and you only have one home run in your last eighty four plate appearances. But to me, the most obvious question that has not been asked is whether or not Otani is dealing with something physical that is preventing him from being a pitcher and a hitter. That's the thing standing out to me. How nobody has asked that is very interesting, and I actually feel like, you know, maybe that's a question that needs to be asked if it isn't by the end of this road trip, certainly the first question I would ask Dave Roberts when I see him on Friday at Dodger Stadium. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello the mark of a fighter. I mean, Otani's trying to do something that nobody's done before. You got a guy like Ben Maller who just rips players every night. It takes him at least thirteen hours to give his gums a rest to recover for the next overnight show that he does. So what Otani's doing is a lot more than anybody else has ever tried to do in Major League Baseball. But one home run in his last eighty four plate appearances and he has to start tomorrow. So how much attention can he give his hitting the way he gave it today when he's tomorrow. It's just impossible. So, you know, thirty one years old, and I'm not sure if you realize this, but his father, this doesn't happen in the United States, and I'm not fully one hundred percent understanding. I don't understand fully the Japanese culture. I mean, I'm around a lot of Japanese reporters now two great Japanese players and then Roki Sasaki who doesn't really talk much. But their culture is a culture of respect. And this past offseason, after the Dodgers won the back to back World Series championship, his Otani's father took a page out in the newspaper in Japan wrote an open letter to Otani congratulating him and then encouraging him to give up pitching in the near future and maybe pick up an outfielder's glove so he can, you know, be able to extend his career being thirty one years old. So that's strange and something I've never asked Otani about. Limited time with Otani once a week when he speaks to the media, so that's not something a topic I'm sure he wants to tackle in that once a week session. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Freddie Freeman had two hits tonight. He has seven hits in eighteen at bats on this road trip, after going three for twenty five on the last homestand but Freddie Freeman only has one extra base hit it was a double yesterday, no home runs. And I know Freddy doesn't consider himself a home run hitter, but I think the Dodgers are going to have to be content with this version of Freddie Freeman. But coming out of a three for twenty five slump to get seven hits in the first four games of this road trip, Freddie will take that. The Dodgers will take that, and that keeps the line moving for other guys. And that's where you know, if Otani's not going to be that forty I'm not even gonna say a fifty home run guy. If Otani's not going to be a thirty or forty home run guy at this rate he's not, then Kyle Tucker, ta Oskar Hernandez will Smith, Mookie Betts when he comes back, they're going to have to pick up the power slack without Otani leading off and being a fifty home run guy. And like I said, not even fifty. I think at this point the Dodgers would take a thirty five home run season from Otani, and I feel like he would as well. Kyle Tucker hit a home run tonight on a fastball, and that's what he does, and he didn't miss it tonight leading off the third inning. Let's go back to Houston to hear from the former astro.
Speaker 6: I mean, I loved, you know, being here and playing here, and there's a lot of new faces over here or over there, but it's always nice coming back and seeing seeing some of the guys and reconnecting with him. So it's always nice to be back.
Speaker 2: For he in the Hall park to come to.
Speaker 6: Like when you guys are kind of scuffling as a lineup a little bit, I mean, it just depends. I mean, if we just continue just keeping our head down, grinding and putting up some good at bats, you know, good things can happen. So we're just gonna try and keep doing that no matter where we're playing.
Speaker 2: Were you surprised to hear some booze out there tonight when you're walking up, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't really focus on like crowd noise and stuff. Like most of the time I don't hear a whole lot, so I don't really have a take on.
Speaker 4: It like just with the offense fell like a normal game. I mean you saying you had a normal game, But is that a fair take?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, I know we haven't hit a homer in a while anyone, But so having a couple of those today was nice. Just good to see, like good contact, get up bads, guys, getting the walks and moving guys over and getting them in was huge. So did a really good job at that throughout the game and especially at the beginning first half. So I'm just gonna try and do that moving forward as well.
Speaker 2: Kind of quality of contact and at bats and approached the last couple of days, did.
Speaker 4: It feel like it was building towards something like this somewhat?
Speaker 6: I mean I had like a couple good of bats. I mean some not really, but I'm just gonna try and keep barreling balls and see what happens.
Speaker 2: All right. There is Kyle Tucker who hit a home run tonight leading off the third inning, got a bloop RBI base hit as well, and the Dodgers beat the Astros tonight eight to three. It's significant because the Dodger offense finished the home stand losing the last two to the Marlins and scoring a combined three runs, and then in Saint Louis they did not really do much offensively, did not hit a home run in those three games, And in those three games at Bush Stadium, the Dodgers combined to score only eight runs. Tonight they match it with an eight spot in Houston against the Astros and basically taking care of business. This offense should ravage that Astros pitching staff in the next two games they the way they did tonight, There's no excuses not to score off this Astro pitching staff. It may not be as talented, that's one thing, but the other part is that it's worn down. They've had to use their bullpen a lot the last two weeks of the season, especially and coming into this series. So no excuses. I don't want to hear about anybody feeling under the weather or any of that. They should sweep this series in Houston. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For our heart pounding action and a new experience, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events and oh, by the way, the Dodgers have the picture of the month on the mound tomorrow and show he Otani, and then the day after to close out this series, they got Tyler glass Now, who very well could have won it as well. Uh And if you remember the Dodgers squandered Otan, they had Yamamoto Otani Glassnew against the Marlins, and they only won one game and lost the last two. So they got to make up for that and win these next two because Otani and glass Now are going to do their job. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We got the news from Dave Roberts because he just made the decision in the middle of the game. Otani will only pitch again tomorrow. He will not hit. How do you feel about that? Is this the new world for the Dodgers and Otani this year? Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. I have a solution for days like this when we continue on Dodger Talk, David Vasse with you until nine thirty right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers beat the Astros eight to three.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bassin.
Speaker 2: Man Tucker Felts went the right field and deep. This Paul Packet has got a home run. Kyle Tucker in a solo shot and it is four to two. Oh bullet of a line drive the right. King Tuck with a home run back in the spot where he started his major league career Houston. He let off the third inning with a home run a solo shot, and the Dodgers go on to beat the Astros tonight eight to three. They hit two home runs. Tonight, Alex Friedland tied the game with a solo home run in the second inning as well. Daniel S. Jewelers, they present the home run forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy lasports dot com. Use the keyword home run into your name and you could win Daniel S. Jeweller's own the Dream eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. All right, let's dive deeper into this o'tani not hitting when he's pitching situation, because Dave Roberts broke that news after the game in his office, and nobody asked whether or not there's some physical limitation with Otani that is preventing him from being the hitter that he's normally been in his entire four time MVP career. I've learned something over the years. Now, I'm not very smart, but I have paid attention over the years, and I feel like I've relayed this to you a few different times. Great players don't all of a sudden turn into pumpkins overnight unless there is something physically wrong with them or something off the field. Nothing off the field going on with Otani this time, and even when there was stuff going on off the field, he never missed a beat. So I'm not saying I know anything, but I would love to have the opportunity to ask him. Ask Dave Roberts, is there something physically preventing you from being the hitter that you have been your entire year, your entire career. When was the last time you ever saw show Hey Otani hit one home run in his last eighty four played appearances. Never, I have the answer for you. Never. It's never happened in his major league career, and I would venture to say it never happened to him in Japan either. So that's a red flag for me right there. And yes, of course it's mental at this stage. Over his last seventeen he looks very human at the plate. He has poured in so much effort in trying to be the best pitcher he can be this year, trying to go after that Cy Young Award, and yes, those are all factors. But I would love to know whether something is physically wrong with Otani. Now I know early BP. I just mentioned to you the Japanese media counted how many swings he took in early BP today and the total was fifty five swings. So obviously he's healthy enough to do that. But here's the thing. Let's say it's not physical and now it's becoming a snowball at the plate. He has to start tomorrow. So how is he going to fix his hitting issues tomorrow? He tried today, and I guess is that bad swear a little better. But here's my thought. Okay, Dave Roberts, you saw something during the game that told you, you know what, I'm not gonna have him hit tomorrow. What do you think one day is gonna do for this guy if he's in that much of a hole. If I'm the Dodgers, I don't play Otani the last game in Houston either it's a day game. After he pitches, I'm not letting Otani DH the next two games. Just let him reset. Maybe on Wednesday during the game he could go into the cage with JT. Watkins, who is one of the best hitting coaches the Dodgers have, go in the lab in Houston with whatever you have and maybe try to figure something out there during the game. But playing him Wednesday is not going to solve anything. Don't play him Wednesday. Either day is an off day. He'll have Thursday off. He could possibly go into the stadium, maybe look at some stuff and maybe take a few swings, but maybe not do anything at all, and then come back Friday for the beginning of a three game series against the best team this side of the Dodgers, in the Atlanta Braves. That seems extremely sensible. If this is what you're seeing, Dave Roberts, that you don't want him to DH tomorrow, you want him to focus on pitching, I would say sorry, show Hey, this is what's best for you. You're not hitting tomorrow, you're pitching. And the last game of the series a day game after a night game. Use that day for recovery, and use Thursday a true off day for recovery. Because remember early in the season, the Dodgers were lining up his starts on Wednesdays because they would have most Thursdays off like they are this week. So I see no reason to have Otani step in the batter's box again in Houston in these next two games. Eight six six none to eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. And how about this Tomorrow, I'm playing Dalton Rushing at first base and Freddie Freeman's getting off his feet and dhing and he's doing it again on Wednesday, and then Freddie has Thursday off. Or I'm having Dalton Rushing catch Wednesday. Will Smith is my DH and Freddie Freeman is at first base. That's what I would do tomorrow. Freddy, you're the DH rushing, you're playing first base, Wednesday rushing, you're catching Will Smith, you're the DH, or you're not playing at all. Eight six six none, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I feel like I figured that out out for us all right here on Dodger Talk eight six six Night seven two five seventy, we're going to the bottom of the hour. I can solve other problems too, if you need me to, not just mine. I mean, I cannot solve my own problems. Let's go out to Danny and Claremont. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Danny?
Speaker 5: I'm doing great. Dave's my first time getting to talk to you this year. Thank you for giving me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Did they just put cell towers out there at Claremont? Is that why?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 5: Easy, Dave, we got more to talk about here. You don't want to hear it, hear you talking that way about?
Speaker 2: What do you think, Danny? Do you agree with me? O Tani should not step in the batter's box the next two games? If this is what we heard from Dave Roberts.
Speaker 5: Uh, Dave, I strongly agree with you. And when I first heard that they were talking about doing this with the show Hey, you know, I thought it was a great idea. You know, everything that that show Hey does is unprecedented territory for the team and for the player and taking off anything they can do to mitigate that risk. You know, especially if he's gonna be pitching like he is this year and pitching at such an exceptional level. You know, they're not gonna take him out of rotation. They want him, They want him pitching the way he is. They got it, They got it, you know, take the rest when they can, if that means him sitting down these days pitches the days after. Like you're like, you're suggesting now, you know, I'm all for it. If he's got to go thirty thirty this year and to the fifty to fifty, that's just what we gotta live with.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: And Okay, here's another question for you, Danny, because this is going to be a question that comes up during the season. If he doesn't get it going offensively and he's all in with the pitching, Who do the Dodgers need more Otani the pitcher or Otani they hit her? I personally believe they need Otani, they hit her more than they need Otani the pitcher.
Speaker 5: I think they need him both, Dave. I mean, even if you can't say he just won Picture of the Month and saw what he did at times last year in October as a pitcher.
Speaker 4: Uh, he's still a better hitter on both sides.
Speaker 2: That's still a better hitter. And you're getting Blake Snell back. You'll have Snell, you have Yama Moto, you'll have Glass. Now you have Robleski. I think the Dodgers need Otani the hitter more than they need Otani the pitcher. If I had to choose, well.
Speaker 5: I don't know, Dave. I think once we get to October, you got to see who's healthy and who's ready to go. You know, circumstance might dictate, you know, who's who's going to be pitching on the mound. We got a lot of offense and you definitely want in there.
Speaker 2: Do the Dodgers really have a lot of offense? Danny? Have you seen this offense the last couple of weeks without Otani being that guy?
Speaker 5: Theoretically we got a lot of offense.
Speaker 2: But you're right.
Speaker 5: I did hear Tim Nevertt Tim Neverertt's call of Tucker hitting the home run tonight. I didn't catch the game, but he hit a home run. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't know he was.
Speaker 5: Still doing that kind of thing. So that's really good to.
Speaker 2: Hear Tucker hitting a home runner Tim Negverett making the call.
Speaker 5: Well, Tim Nevert's always great to hear. But Tucker hitting the home run, that was good to hear that he did that.
Speaker 2: You still getting a tip of the cap to John Sterling by Tim Nevertt. Hey, Danny, keep those cell towers up in Claremont and call back.
Speaker 5: Okay, will do my friends, keep it keep it going, Dave. Nice talking to you.
Speaker 2: Nice talking to you too. Thank you for the phone call, and hopefully Danny, you come out to Downy Hunday on Thursday. Alex Vesia and I are going to be down there from four to five o'clock. We're going to have a Dodger talk show with that live crowd out there. It's going to be a party, because Downy Hunday is not just a car dealership, it's an experience. Seventy five point fifty Firestone Boulevard This Thursday, four to five o'clock me, you and alex Vesia. There's gonna be a DJ, there's gonna be food and drinks. It's gonna be a party at Downey Hunday this Thursday, So you want to get there early and we'll have a great time with Alex Vessia from four to five o'clock. Let's go out to recita. John, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. John.
Speaker 4: Hey, Dave, thanks for taking my call, and I love your comment and I strongly agree with you. Also, I was thinking, he put so much.
Speaker 2: Do you agree with Joe? Do you agree? Which part do you agree with?
Speaker 4: Well? I agree with you about the pitching him only, I mean not hitting him on the days that he's pitches, not dhing on that, and.
Speaker 2: I was sent and I also said, I strongly that's a debatable thing, but I strongly believe he should not hit the rest of this series in Houston, especially with the day off.
Speaker 4: I agree with that also. And my idea for that is, let's give Hassan Kim a chance to lead off. He's one of the best fastest guy on the team. He gets a ball on the ground, he can make it the first base, he can set it up for the other guys, and then see how that works out for the Dodgers. When he can lead off and he gets on base, he gets on base and the other guys can bring him in and so Hey, if he puts too much pressure on himself leading off, move him down the lineup a little bit. Let's hassan Kim can continue to lead off and see what happens. Maybe it's something that could happen. What do you think.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be opposed to it in the short term, John, But when Mookie Betts comes back, I would have Mookie Betts as the leadoff hitter. He is one of the greatest leadoff hitters in the history of baseball. I think we all forget that. And I know last year was a nightmare of an offensive season for him, but it's a new year and he's been out for a while. When Mookie Betts comes back on games that Otani's not leading off and being the DH, or if the Dodgers decide to move Otani down in the order, Mookie Betts is my first choice to lead off again.
Speaker 4: I can see that. But why not give on Kim a chance?
Speaker 2: It's fine, I would Okay, how about tomorrow. Otani's not going to hit, so how about tomorrow? Why not have Kim lead off. The last time this happened, Dalton Rushing was the DH and he was the leadoff hitter. But I'm I'm all in the thing with the Dodgers, though, John and what you're saying is with Kim leading off in the like tonight, Wan Sota was leading off for the Mets. The reason why he was leading off is because, like you said, he gets on base, but he's the mets best hitter. The reason why Otani leads off is because he's the Dodgers' best hitter and he can change the game with one swing. And the leadoff hitter gets more at bats as the lineup turns over during games. So you're saying that you want Kim to be that guy that get the most at bats in the game tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I think so. I think you give him a chance. I bet you he'd come through for us, because I've seen him play. He can hit the all fields, he's got a little bit of power, he's got speed beyond anybody else on the team, and I think it would be a good a good experiment to try, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not opposed to the experiment, and tomorrow's a good day to try it against the very weak Astros pitching staff. Thanks for the phone call, John, appreciate it. Eight sixty six nine to eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Astros. Tonight eight to three. Their pitching staff struck out fifteen Houston Astros tonight and only walk two, led by Yamamoto, who went six innings tonight was only charged with three earned runs. He had eight strikeouts tonight in one walk, and after that, the Dodger bullpen did another stellar job. Nobody talks about the bullpen when they do well. Kyle hurt Blake, trying in Jack Dreyer all put up zeros in their innings and combined for seven strikeouts of their own. So the Dodger bullpen had seven strikeouts, Yamamoto had eight, and the Dodgers beat the Astros eight to three in every facet of the game. Tonight, Otani goes hitless. He had two walks. He's zero for seventeen oh for his last seventeen, and Dave Roberts decided in the middle of the game it would be best to not have Otani hit tomorrow, just pitch for the Dodgers and start the game, which I'm all for. I'm cool with that, but after what I heard Dave Roberts say, one game is not going to change anything for Otani, so I'm very much advocating for Otani not to hit tomorrow and not to hit Wednesday day game after a night game in Houston at the end of a six game road trip. Thursday's a day off. Let him reset, let him work on the hitting if he wants to, and then be ready for a big showdown against the Atlanta Braves, who have the best record in baseball. Dodgers have the second best. Let's go out to Whittier. Julian, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Julian.
Speaker 7: Dave, Long time no talk. It's nice to talk to you again. I listened to you. Sometimes it's hard to get through. Thank you for taking my call. Uh, let's let's be real simple. I'm gonna make this real quick for everyone. So this guy puts out, he puts out as a pitcher and as a hitter all the time players at this high level. It can be psychological, it can be burnout. I remember once Mike Piazza went three for thirty one just one time. So my point is is it's gonna be fine. It's early in the season. Otani, he'll come, He'll get through this. It's like, maybe you should give him a break, you know what I mean, Let him reset. Excuse me, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Agree with you. Reset, do not hit tomorrow, do not hit Wednesday, half Thursday off, play with your decoy and get away from it, and then come back Friday refreshed and reset.
Speaker 7: I totally agree. And the last thing I'll say is we're going back to the World Series and Otani's going to be the most valuable player. So thank you very much, David for the phone call, and I hope to talk to you again sometime later this season.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be great. Thank you for the phone call, Julian. And look, Julian mentioned a buzzphrase burned out. Okay, let's say Julian's right and Otani's burned out. It's only May fourth. That's what's concerning, right. If it's taken a toll on him right now, how is he going to finish the year? That's my concern. It's not about you know, one start or one game or an zero for seventeen, but if Dave Roberts feels like he's getting burnt out, how is this going to play out the rest of the season. And even Andrew Friedman told us on the last homestand they're very well aware and going to try to do everything they possibly can to keep Otani going for the entire season as a pitcher and as a hitter, the two way unicorn that he is, the four time MVP that he is. It may be like tomorrow where he doesn't hit on the days that he pitches, is what Andrews said, And also he conceded there might be days like Wednesday where he doesn't lead off and is not in the starting lineup and could be used as a bat off the bench. Let's not forget that there's that threat, but I feel like it in this case. And you hear this a lot, and even Joe Kelly told us this on Off Day Dodger Talk last Thursday. You got to read and react during the season. And if I'm reading and reacting like Dave Roberts was in the middle of the game and saying, you know what, I see something whether it's mental or physical that I don't like, and you're not going to hit tomorrow, well I would read and react and say, you know what, show Hey, you're in the worst slump of your career. How about reset for the next three days as a hitter, pitching Tomorrow Wednesday, you know, do some work if you want during the game and the cage with JT. Wakins. Thursday day off, do whatever you need to do, but you're not starting in the game for the next few days. And then come back Friday at home at Dodger Stadium with the adrenaline of fifty thousand plus at a sellout Dodger Stadium first game of the home stand against the Atlanta Braves. Come back home and do your thing like you always do. But nothing is going to serve Otani offensively by him playing in a day game after a night game that he pitches in. If we're all in for the well being of Otani and keeping him fresh, the bounce back a day game after a night game at thirty one years old after making a start on the road, Come on, this guy is the greatest baseball player we have ever seen, and I would go as far as to say top five athlete I have ever witnessed since I've been alive in sports period. But he's not twenty six anymore. He's not twenty seven. Even Michael Jordan's started taking jumpers at the end, he didn't go to the rim every night for punishment. Otani's thirty one years old. You've got to evolve with age and manage it differently, and I don't think he's pushing back right now, which I applaud him for. Obviously, great competitors like him don't believe they're vulnerable, but right now they're some vulnerability at the plate. The numbers don't lie, and on the days that he pitches, in sixty four at bats with the Dodgers, he's hitting two hundred with only two home runs, So having him hit tomorrow is not going to serve any purpose. I'm completely on board with Dave Roberts and the Dodgers' decision to have him just pitch tomorrow, but I'll double down on that. Don't have him play on Wednesday, give him the next two days after he pitches as well, And it makes sense right the Dodgers had kind of lined it up that way to begin the year. This makes complete sense. I would be shocked if O'tani plays Wednesday after pitching tomorrow, with the way he's in an offensive mental, physical funk at the plate, and the Dodgers have good enough players to cover it, and they have some guys, two guys in particular that could use a dhday in Freddie Freeman and Will Smith the next two days, so to me, it's a it's really not a question. All right. Before we say good night, I want to give you an update on brock Stewart. As I had concluded after he went back to back games in Oklahoma City. He's going to be activated either tomorrow or Wednesday, which is a huge boost to the Dodger bullpen. Already a really good bullpen, but now you're getting brock Stewart back. Bruce Star, Gretorol and keike A Hernandez are with Oklahoma City now, so that's a good thing. And can we just get rid of that dropkick celebration that we saw in Saint Louis And it has nothing to do I've been assured it has nothing to do with Dalton rushing. It was just somebody came up with, hey, let's kick the bad vibes out of here, and that's what they came up with, and Alex Call was the first one to do it. How about if we don't do it again, that's that's kind of corny. I want to go for it. If you're asking my opinion, that's not la Okay, we could do better, all right, that'll do it for us. On Dodger Talk to Night Tomorrow, Otani on the mound only going up against Peter Lambert who's one and two with an elray of three point fifty two. Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at four o'clock with Tim Kates. First pitch from Houston with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett on Otani Day at five ten. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald and Houston. Thanks to Colin Yee back in Burbank, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can make us a preset subscribe, and also there's a microphone top right. You can give us some feedback and if it's positive feedback, I'd be shocked. We'll play it on the show tomorrow once again. The final score tonight the Dodgers beat the Astros and hit two home runs eight to three. Fox Sports Radios next. Have a great rest of your night, See you
Speaker 6: Six