Speaker 1: You want to.
Speaker 2: That's some show seven hundred W LW.
Speaker 3: The mayor you're after at peer vall opposing income taxing threes to pay for crime prevention, affordable housing, and what do you called disrupting poverty. I'm not quite sure what that means, uh, because poverty is the root cause of so much of the violence, and that's that's probably true. But I'm trying to figure out how this tax is going to solve that. The mayor said, should have this thing decided how much, if any, by roughly by March, the next couple of months here, and of course there's gonna be plenty of public input now whether they listen.
Speaker 2: Different story.
Speaker 3: Let me bring in council Member Seth Walsh on the show on seven hundred WW.
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing fine. I'm doing fine. So the current income tax is like one point eight percent. That's much lower than Columbus and Cleveland are both two point five percent. Fairly low right now, So I think we got to throw that out there. And I look at this and go, okay, well, before I get to your take on this, the mayor, this is about disrupting poverty. Can we tell out of crime?
Speaker 4: Well, I think that I don't think that is fully what the mayor was saying with this statement. We have not had a conversation, so I don't fully know what is being proposed at this stage. But I think what is being rooted in is the Future Commission's recommendations, which had I recommended a point one five earning task increase that include economic development and include more money for policing, more money for fire.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 4: I think that is what is the conversation here, but I haven't had a conversation with him to be told that for a fact at this stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I think people hear that.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's a misstep on his part, but if he starts hammering that the root cause of povery's violence and we've got to disrupt poverty, and therefore this is why we've got to garnish your wages and fix this. Well, let's go all the way back to LBJ, well before I was here, and way well before you were here.
Speaker 2: Seth.
Speaker 3: It doesn't work. And I'll point this out because this just broke this morning. I think it's relevant. One of the biggest stories of EFAT the story the of course, is the Ryan Hitton shooting that led to the death by his dad. Of deputies to Larry Henderson, the three individuals that were with Ryan Hinton that day, we just had their day in court. One of them and by the way, these are individuals who had previous records, had committed grand theft autos stolen the car with a gun specification. One of them is still doesn't have their day in corporate the other two one got ten months in jail and the other one received probation. If people are going, well, okay, I'm going to get this tax and helped low poverty which can reduce crime, and there's a lot of things between those elements, and I propose it probably doesn't work. But you hear that and go, wait a minute, I got to pay more in taxes When we've got judges that simply slap people on the wrist who steal cars and commit crimes with guns.
Speaker 2: That math doesn't work, does it.
Speaker 4: I think we're making a lot of assumptions about what the tax is and I think that that's not helping situation right now, because you know your breed on what it is, am I read on what the acts that were not consistent.
Speaker 1: On that, So.
Speaker 4: I think the fairest way for the conversation. The only report that I know of that has been done around an earning tax since we reduced certain tacks to be a fun metro was the Future Submission, and their recommendation in there is very clearly that the city's budget needs to be put in a strong financial foothold, and they also are encouraging enough to grow and develop with you and I both Vehemailey agree on and to do that, we need more money and resources to be able to achieve that. Part of you know, train on the city budget is the costs that for yearly raises for police and fire as they deserve. I mean, anybody willing to risk their lives to protect our community run into a burning building, you know, they deserve the pay they get, They deserve the raises they get, and I think that's a very fair trade off. But it does have an expense on the movie the budget, and so the recommendation specifically in that report was to prom d a stream of revenue similar to how Columbus handles it that would help offset the increase or police of fire boards. Forward now to the conversations we've had all summer around policing and having police out there to be able to you know, be as deterrence toward crime. You know, that's critical, right, because if you want to be able to not have them what we've dealt with this summer, you've got to have good police officers out there working to beat and you know, not only are you know, when they're causing problems, but just being president and having relationships in the community so that people are less likely to do that. So, yeah, I think if that's the case, that's what we're talking about. I think that's a very different conversation than you know, the open ended question of you know, are we doing an earnings tax increase to you know, try to break poverty, which I don't think anyone disagrees that we need to. You know, the cost, you know, what's making it is city. The how is a big question, and the lack of that answer, I think makes this conversation really hard and really beating the water for the greater conversation the city needs to have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I bring that up because I don't disagree with you. What I'm saying is people hear then go, okay, well we're disrupting poverty, but you know, judges aren't doing what they're supposed to do, and so why am I paying this tab? I think people think in those terms, like what am I what? What's my what's my return on my investment here? If we're just going to continue to catch and release and not take some of this stuff seriously? Uh In the mayor certainly doesn't control that, but here it's himself. I think by bringing it up put in that context as well. So what you're saying for you to get a yes for your vote, anyway to get your vote, Futures Commission recommendations need to be implemented first before you do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, I mean the Future's Commission you're really focus heavily on the development side of Fincinnati. You know, we talked about the affordability crisis. We talk about trying to you know, make our downtown you know, lively and active again. And it has a number of recommendations in there about how we can actually be growing and be able to down on bureaucrae, the red cape that it takes to get anything off the ground here. Yeah, things you and I talked about at nausea. Yeah, and you know, to my knowledge, the most critical ones, the most simple ones too, have not even to implement it. You know, the Office of Strategy Growth, I think, being the biggest opportunity there. I'm hearing rumblings if that is in the work and we're gonna have some progress on that soon, but it hasn't been implemented. And in my opinion, the entire time since the Future State pindition came out is they make a lot of how to say, proof and their efficiencies and be more forward facing. And if we did that, then we should be rewarded with more funcial leverage to be able to actually lead development. If we haven't done that, we shouldn't get the carrot. You know, we shouldn't get the reward for not having done that, because the worst thing that could happen is at this time when things are so expensive already, when you know costability is going on through the roof, we already have an affordability crisis, poverty, you know, the poverty graph is just getting wider. To put a more burden on our residence without being able to say, we can't achieve what we're going to promise you in this case that you can have a development and the actual more housing actually be able to bring down it. That plan, I have a problem being able to get behind it, and that needs to get you know, we needed to make some privucs.
Speaker 3: He is a council member, Seth Walsh on Sloan here, seven hundred WLW. And this has to do with the kicking the tires on a income tax increase in the City of Cincinnati to help pay for crime prevention, affordable housing, and what the mayor said is disrupting poverty.
Speaker 2: I'll bring this up in context too. Butler County.
Speaker 3: It's not just Hamlet, but Butler County is proposing a new two mil levee to address this very issue. So it's not just Hamilton, it's other counties as well hit by this. The other side of this thing, too is if you're in Cincinnati, also live in Hamlin.
Speaker 2: County.
Speaker 3: Commissioner Alicia Reese is going to join the show at ten oh seven this morning to talk about what they discussed yesterday, and they may ask voters to increase the Children's services levy there because that is tied to, you know, poverty and disrupting poverty. It starts with children and the last time we had an increase was eight years ago. They want to double. In the perfect world, they would want to more than double this whole thing. That this proposal is going to be a moderate, a minimum and eighty percent in increase over the current cost of the levee from twenty eighteen. And so the city does not exist in a vacuum. Obviously, it's also in Hambleton County. And so if you're Cincinnati's living hamil guys, I said, does that hurt your effort here on an income tax, because now the county's going, hey, we've got to get a children services levey on. It's going to more than double the amount you're paying right now. Is it too much for voters?
Speaker 4: I think it's yes. And maybe you know, I think right now, I think the big bringing any attempt at an increase for any tax is cost of living has just gotten so ridiculously out of control. And when we're not seeing wages going up, we're not seeing more opportunity, we're not seeing more jobs coming in at the rate that they need to be coming in. You know, how these costs keep going up. I think it's a big hill for anybody to swallow to say, you know, we need more taxes. I think at the same time, people myself included, recognize that the cost of living in impact has been hitting the exact same places support right. You know, the people that we have out there trying to help children have it, trying to do crime prevention, trying to disrupt povery, the expense for them to even do the bare minimum stamp center, seeing how stay cost just to be able to nail things right. It's a real issue that is out there. So where are our values as a community? And I don't get smarter to have these large conversations and say this is what we want to value this we'll want to put our money toward. Again, We've had a conversation as the community last year about crime.
Speaker 1: We talked about crime prevention.
Speaker 4: We talked about how we want to get engaged earlier and you know, get you other opportunities. Besides, you're disrupting what you know, what's going on around the city. And if that's the priority that we have as a city and as a county, then yeah, I think that you know, people are going to get behind the tactics.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's a non starter, but I think we have to be able to be clear and what we're trying to do so, why we're trying to do it, and how this is going to actually achieve that? Which this fact my concern about their effect is it enough of do we have the efficiencies in place to deliver on what we're gonna promise? Maybe I don't hope they come. Yes, I don't know that yet, And until we get to that point, it's just it's a hard pilled get the hardfeld to go and ask people to sacrifice for more if we don't know the back end.
Speaker 3: Yet, right, right, If it feels like it's more of the same, it's like, uh, you know, we're going to fix this problem by throwing more money at it. I voters definitely would be reluctant. And it's not like, you know, we don't have empathy here, right. We do need a children's services levy. They need the money because so many kids are in poverty. And if you do want to break that cycle of violence, it starts there.
Speaker 2: It's tough.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, if you're stretched though thin, we're a gallon of gas, I mean, price of gases start to go back up again. If you've noticed, you know, beef, milk, bread, eggs, energy, all those things they factor in and then you get hit with more taxes from the city and the county. People have a breaking point at the end of the day. It's about self preservation.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I think that's where you know, we as leaders and include you and conversations Scott. You know, we as leaders of them we're having this conversation, have to be able to answer the questions we have to ask, the hard question we have to getting out of it. People will sacrifice, no doubt about that. We have the core humanity that we are trying to push forward together on and I think that's fantastic and I take great pride in that in Cincinnati and Hamilton County. But also things are really hard right now, and what we can't do is pack so much that we cause more problems in the back end, and so we need to have good answers. Everybody across the board is looking at this. I know times are really hard right now. Sometimes the government needs to take the back speat to you know, find creative ways to go without putting more burdened on our people.
Speaker 3: That's my opinion, right right, No, I mean, yeah, that makes sense, but how do you do all this stuff?
Speaker 2: I think that is the question.
Speaker 3: They Vice Mayor Jannas Shelliman Curney says, this is a small increase that's going to allow huge increases affordable housing and small businesses support. We have a goal and you're your lealestate guy too, so a development guy. So we have a goal of forty thousand new affordable housing units for the next deck. So the revenues, the projected revenues from this this increased match that scale of investment needed.
Speaker 2: Is it enough?
Speaker 1: So it's forty thousand units of housing across the board.
Speaker 4: I think a big part of the affordable housing conversation that we lose sight of is, you know, we just don't have enough housing units, which has really become a supplying demand issue. So it's forty thousand units across the board. The Futures Commission report, in which the earning sex has been you know, is being recommended on, is actually recommending a twenty six thousand unit increase over the next ten years. And that's I think there's you know, smart people in this field that should be able to do the mask to tell us, you know, the per unit subsidue that we were looking at, and you know, is the revenue that we would get off the projected earning sex enough for us to be able to deliver that twenty six thousand unit goal from.
Speaker 1: The from the Futures Commission.
Speaker 4: You know, if we want to wak to forty thousand, you know, outside of that, that's not what the Future Commission one point five, our point five one to five is backing up. So we probably need to do the mass again, which gets to the bigger point here. We're going to ask sex, right, let's make sure we have our ducks in a row, and you know what we are asking a sacrifice on is going to achieve that goal. At least the mass will make sense on it. I have a few numbers yet that have given me confidence on it, which is why I continue to lean towards the I'm not there at the stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that makes sense, Seth Walsh. I think you and I believe was a council member Mika Owens want to create some called the Office of Strategic Growth to try and get some of these projects off the crew. If you create this office and but but the tax increase fails at the battle box, Where does the funding come from to operate the new department? And does that kind of hinder progress moving forward.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm a big believer in you know, the city budget has more flexibility than as you know, publicly discussed and you know, we won't go jump into it because that's the whole master's class in and of itself. But the funding, I believe the funding city budget. I also think that it's critical, regardless of the impact, if we want to grow as a city and grow in this situation. Can be from you know, just trying to do more fatile housing units to try to actually hit a forty thousand goal.
Speaker 1: You know, the frustrated by having college show.
Speaker 4: It's one of the reasons I went to city Hall is it's really hard to do development because sometimes the right hand's not talking to the left hand. Sometimes when I was in college Shill it felt like all the time. And the Office of Strategic Growth has a responsibility in helping cut that and make that, you know, smoother, more efficient, and then also be aggressive and going to finding groups that are not in Cincinnati right now, convincing them to come to Cincinnati and invest their money in Cincinnati, because that's going to help drive down the person you subsidy. It's going to introduce more creativity into our market. It's going to just have big impacts. And that's where you see success starts to come in when you're talking about how you tackle housing.
Speaker 1: Creditis and so.
Speaker 4: It has a big role, and I think there's money in the budget to find it. I've already identified source and a spell years to do that. So I'm not worried about that angle. Whether it passes or does not pass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, you look at this the income tax, sorry, the payroll tax increase here, you know, with additional crime fighting measures, more partnership with the Ohio State Highway Patrol, and that has been a long road to get to where we are right now, more of walking and bike patrols, more license plate readers, more in Sylvan surveillance. And to bring this up going well, you know, in this story we had some closure to it to some degree, but not long ago. We had that murder, of course, on New Year's Day. Eleven year old girl murdered on New Year's Day, a horrible way to start the new year. Suppose there's cameras up there, but none of them worked at the time, and we had one hundred and fifty I think one hundred and fifty thousand dollars was going towards those cameras, and there are a lot of questions about that, And yeah, I think that just those kinds of optics don't help either that, hey, we gave you the money and it wasn't being spent. Now we later found out what actually happened with the broken cameras and the like. But get money for the technology and it's not being used, I don't think that also helps as well.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think it's frustrating.
Speaker 4: You know, when we outdated that money in July last year, I asked specifically, are we going to get these cameras up and not have a time where all of.
Speaker 1: A sudden we usually had the cameras up.
Speaker 4: Is it going to turn into the city bureaucratic process where it drags on for several years before we act actually get the cameras up and asult because at that point we were already two years planned on the promise that we've made. Right then, I think the fact that I even had to ask the question, and then the fact that the media had to do follow up six months with that tragedy happen, and there's a lot of questions around it.
Speaker 1: It doesn't breed a lot of confidence in the city.
Speaker 4: And that's where I think the efficiency that the future Submission talks about is a very real thing, and it's a very important thing because you have to build confidence once again, even if you're doing everything right. It's no different than the snowplop tractors, right. You know, people are not going to trust that we're going to plow the street until they've seen that we've done it repeated this week. And we're going to be a big test for that. And I have every faith that we're going to do it, but we have to continue to prove it. It's the same thing for the city and development. It's the same thing you know, for anything we're asking right now. The city has to prove that we earn your trust for your sacrifice, and I would like to see more of that before we can go out and ask people for a tax increase.
Speaker 1: Ye where I'm out right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense, Seth.
Speaker 3: I miss if I didn't ask this, because I can sense the frustration your voice is, like, we just keep turning butter over here. You know, we plan study and there's a problem with the execution. Is that One of the reasons why you decided to throw your hat.
Speaker 2: In the ring to run for State treasure.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that the first part is we have had a lot of positive momentum at the city. I think you will see that this weekend with a snowstorm that comes in. You know, the streets are going to get taken care of, and I'm really confident on that good. The State Treasure's race is an exciting opportunity and frankly, it ties into a lot of the frustrations I have around development as a whole, and I think there's an opportunity with the State Treasure's Office to really be able to leverage the two hundred and eighty billion dollars in investment that goes into the Treasure's office to work with banks to make sure that as they're doing ther you know, coming back and doing development deals, that they're actually doing that for the benefit of our community, not just the bottom line ROI. And the benefit of the community is small businesses. Percent of ailen of Ohio business is small business, and the Treasure's Office has the ability to impact that. So everything I've talked about from when I was in college Hill the city council, it requires big creative thinking around big creative investments, and the State Treasurer's office is the biggest one you can do with that. So when asked to run and I read about it, I though, this is opportunity really be able to do some creative things, not just for Cincinnati, but for re heal.
Speaker 2: All right, very good, Seth. I'm sure we'll talk later.
Speaker 1: Brother.
Speaker 3: Appreciate the time as always, man, be good and we'll catch up some other time.
Speaker 2: Seth, all the best.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 3: All right, comes member Seth Walsh in the Scott Slow Show on seven hundred w welw with news. In just minutes, we'll talk about this. In return, I'm gonna have Alisha Reeson coming up at about a little more than a half hour here on the show to discuss the county's proposal. Now they want they want to increase the children's Services love you amount I haven't been that since twenty eighteen. That go up anywhere between eighty and over one hundred percent, depending on what numbers they come up with. In addition to this proposed income tax in the city and in conjunction with the property tax increase in general, the property valuation issues like it's all coming at you, and when you hear this, you go, I know it's for the kids, for the kids, for the kids, but how likely are you to support more of these tax increases. We'll talk to you about that right afternoons on seven hundred WWD. Good morning, Scott flown back with you seven hundred WLWL some light flurries for early morning tomorrow, I think. And then we're waiting on the timeline and this winter storm that's moving in the line of death. The axis of the storm passes directly over Louisville and Cincinnati. Now that, of course, we're waiting to see how much that changes, if at all. If it changes, different story. But if it doesn't change, we're gonna get dumped on this weekend for sure. So we'll let you know how that plays out. I just got off the phone with Seth Walsh, council member. If you missed it till it'll be on the podcast after the show. You can check out this entirety if you definitely if you live in the city, kind of a double whammy for you. So Seth Walsh was talking about the proposal here for a increase the Cincinnati income tax, and comparatively speaking, you know, we all hate paying tex We want stuff, we want someone else to pay for it, and somebody paying for it means usually tax payers. But our income tax as far as city goes, it's pretty low right now, it's one point eight percent, and I mean low because comparatively, Columbus and Cleveland are both two and a half percent.
Speaker 2: We're kind of right there.
Speaker 3: I think there's only one even small obviously smaller city than us that that's tax rate is lower than that, but pretty good compared to Columbus and Cleveland. However, there's always however, the reality is so that we also will have and Alicia Reese is going to give us at ten oh seven this morning with me, because we need money for children's services, and the county is proposing a children's services levey that at a minimum, at a minimum, would be an eighty percent increase over where it is right now. That that eighty percent increase would raise about sixty five million dollars. The target number that they really want is one hundred and twenty three million, and they're like, well, we're going to get the one to twenty three that's the ideal funding level for us for children's services, and that includes obviously abuse in the galact the hotline for them and that infrastructure. But foster care takes a lot of money. Family preservation, reunification, independent living. Oh, there's a lot of things in there, and this one strikes at my heart and my heart strings because of my involved with children's charities, foremost right now being Marty Graff for Homeless Kids happening at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center on Fat Tuesday, I will be the King again and we raise enough money to feed homeless children in Cincinnati, feed children in Cincinnati for an entire year with that one night. I'm very proud to be part of that, a very small part of all that money and goodwill. And you know, children don't ask for this stuff. You're born in the world, you have no say. And unfortunately there are kids that are in an in growing increasing number of children who are falling between the cracks. There's no doubt about it. Mental health is shoes are getting worse, not better, and that's all come into a head and we need to ask our money for eight years. Obviously you're going to that ask is going to be greater with each passing year. I know also the reality of this as much as we need to fund children's services and take care of these kids, and if we don't, we're gonna're gonna pay more down the line. That's the American way. It's like healthcare. If we took better care of ourselves, we'd be less dependent on our healthcare, but we don't, uh, and so we pay at the back end as opposed to the front end. And the same is true here. The more you pay at the front end, the less we'll spend at the back end. And I just don't say, and honestly, I feel it because if you're in the city and Seth Walsh was talking about the mayor and his proposal to increase the spending relative to a money got from a income tax, and the county's asking you for money for a levy. You also got the fact that the state of Ohio is hitting you with higher property taxes, and it goes on and on and on and on and on, and you're really feeling the squeeze if you're in the city of Cincinnati, because you only have so much money to spend, because at the end of the day, you do have to look out your own interests. We're all selfish, and that's the way the world really works on a lot of countries, and you know, especially as socialists, don't believe that, but that's how it is. You look out for number one primarily, and we all do that. But also I think it's in company on us. Whatever extra that we have, we look at how we want to spend that, whether it's children's services or in this case the income tax increase to pay for crime prevention. Affordable housing a different matter, however, I would look at it and go, okay, are they being good stewards with their money?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: County aside, which of course we just saw that Bengal still get struck better than it used to be, but not as good as most other teams have. The mayor through these words, and I think if he continues down this road, I think it's going to hurt their chances based on what I just said. So you hear about well, okay, there's the money going well, crime prevention okay, good affordable housing, you know, okay, we need to do that, and disrupting poverty, Poverty the root cause of so much to the violence. Okay, And that's true. If you're poor, you know there's a higher likelihood you're involved in crime. But the reality is most poor people aren't criminals. If you look around the United States, most poor people are not out there robbing, stealing, raping, and going out. It's about one percent of the population. So that' said, if I give you more money to fight crime in the root cause of violence is poverty. Okay, we gave you one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for the cameras. And then when we had the murder of an eleven year old girl who talked about innocent children, eleven year old girl playing the playground on New Year's Day.
Speaker 2: And there's no.
Speaker 3: Video despite the fact that we're supposed to be came working cameras up and they weren't. That caused the question your competency. Also, this is outside the control of the mayor, a council person or certainly Hamilin County commissioner. Is that when Ryan Hinton did what he did on that day and set this whole thing in motion, culminating with the murder of Larry Henderson and all the discussions we're having right now with his dad, Ryan Hinton his three colleagues at that time as co perpetrators. One of them is yet to have a court date, but just yesterday. These are individuals, young individuals who had prior run ins with the lost so they had a jacket. They also were in the commission of a felony stealing cars, not the first time they did this, stealing my car and using it with a gun. Now it wasn't just Ryan Hitton who had a gun. One of the other guys had a gun and left it in the car. Fortunately that's why he's alive and Ryan Hinton isn't. That was his decision, in a day of really really bad decisions and maybe a whole lifetime i'llbeit short of bad decisions, that was a good decision. Don't bring the gun with me. Look what happened to Ryan Hinton and that individual received ten months in jail. Now you already had priors. Does that seem a little light? The other individual just got probation and we know how a lot of these individuals, I can't say about this particular run will see, but a lot of them simply just don't care. You know, people are ordered to get a job, report back to court and they just simply go, yeah, yeah, I'll absolutely but then literally commit crimes the minute they leave and thumb, their nose up in the system. How is money going to solve that? How is you how them going into your pocket? We need more money.
Speaker 2: We got to disrupt poverty. How do you disrupt poverty?
Speaker 3: Poverty has been around since the world's been turning, and you can make an argue in America that that gap between the haves and the have nots is getting greater.
Speaker 2: Sure I believe that now.
Speaker 3: Is it is it the government's job to take that money and redistribute it for programs? Because I, again I see better than I hear. We've had a couple of generations now since the War on Poverty began under Lyndon Bains Johnson. Then there are wars on poverty prior to that. You can argue FDR the Great Depression, but you know this one in more recent era, Lyndon Bains Johnson took over for Kenny said, you know, we're gonna initiate a lot of Kennedy's program uh programs. We're also gonna throw some gas on the fire here too, and we're gonna have this project where we're you know, we're gonna we're gonna solve probab, We're gonna wipe out poverty. We're gonna take this money and dedicate it and we're going to build housing projects and we're lift people up. And what wind up happening is you just created a couple more generations of poor people. So the idea of spending the money the way to do that. Of course, you gave people money, and then there's a solid argument for saying, well, if you continue to give people money. You know, the old adage about teaching a man to fish applies here. That is, we give you money, and it doesn't really teach you how to be self sustaining. That is, to teach you to fish, not give you fish. Right, And some people, unfortunately, because of situations in life, maybe mental issues, health issues, or other reasons, can't do that.
Speaker 2: I get that, but that's not everybody.
Speaker 3: And so we created generations of people simply depending on a system.
Speaker 2: That's a problem.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: I was kind of thinking this though the break here just saw news mount Orb for example. This is something totally unrelated, but I'll make it related.
Speaker 2: Mount of Orb.
Speaker 3: They're discussing one of these data centers. You know, data center's going on a lover the Wilmington's battling at Hamilton and Butler Counties, Battling and Mount orb Ohio is I think fifth in the country when it comes to this new technology data centers.
Speaker 2: We have space outside of the big cities. We have space.
Speaker 3: Makes sense, right, you put these huge farms. Now there's gonna be drained on energy supplies, and of course we're I always talk about this word a crisis when it comes to our supply of reliable energy. Yeah, you can get that from the United States, but it's also about transmission and generation and transmission. You can, you know, drill baby, drill, all the all you want, but you got to build a plant and then you got to figure out how to get it from point A to point B. With electricity, it's even more difficult. It's even more difficult. And so you look at these farms that are going in, these huge expanses of data centers are going and out in the rural areas. You know, we do have some vacant spaces downtown with COVID and of course the work from Home Initiative. Now a lot of companies are mandating return to work. We're turned off. But downtown real estate, rental, real esa is not where it used to be. It's not a guy. This is probably not going to come back in that regard too, simply because we've moved on. As we saw during the nineteen sixties and fifties and sixties, when we build highways that got people to the suburbs, and then of course crimes started to re or it's ugly head in the cities and people moved to the suburbs, and it took the tax spase out. And we're talking about that and it all fits together. I think the same is true when it comes to that. So we've got all these data centers that are going in out in the rural areas, maybe it's time to flip the script. And you know, we've got some vacant buildings downtown or some areas anyway we've got You need water, So there's the Ohio River right there, largest source of water we have in our area. And you already have infrastructure in place, meaning electricita. What instead of building out, could you build up? Could you do a number of smaller data centers in a city like Cincinnati. Is that something you should look at? Now, Grant it's not virgin real estate and you start from scratch, and yeah, but the kind I understand, you know, building, and it just won't work in a a in a skyscraper if you will in one of these buildings. But and and you know, maybe those vacancy rates are completely But I'm thinking of the cities like you know, Dayton or Toledo or places like that where you know you have a lot of vacancies downtown. I mean, maybe that's something to look at. Anyone saying instead of the you know, the rural counties, do we try and learn some of these data centers to Hamilton County and help the tax base there? We have the we have, we have real estate, so to speak. Maybe it's not wide and expansive. Instead of going out, you go up. But is that something to look at? Is that something to consider? I don't know, that's way outside my scope of knowing why that would would I guess it seems like it makes sense to me. But I guess there's reasons you can make as to why that wouldn't work either. But just thinking in those terms is like, how do we instead of taking tax money and giving it back to people in the form of subsidy, how do we create more jobs for folks? And you know, the data centers in Cincinnati, Hamilin County. That seems to me a good idea. Now, of course you would have because of the nature of politics here being more blue than red in the county, especially in the city, or it's deep blue, you're gonna have the environmental assault worked up about that. But you know it's the energy you all the look at it this way. All of the protests that we have, whether it's Minnesota or anything else, it all begins online. So we're really good at being NIMBYs. Not in my backyard. So we want the data, we want the infrastructure. We demand information on demand, and yet when we have okay, well we've got to figure out a way to get it to you faster, be more consistent about it as we had an AI. Yeah, well we don't want that in our area. You want to use it, but we don't want We don't want the infrastructure. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I get it, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Like if you want yo look at it this way. Just one was last week at and T. But Verizon went down and it had more to do with AI than it did. There's no hack or anything like that. It wasn't malware or something the network and people online. They're losing their minds. They're mad at Verizon because it went down, and maybe you should be because they're using AI I guess to expand their network but instead of real people. And maybe we're not ready for that yet. But you don't know until you try. And it was down to people. I'm trying to get this in verdecation. I can't and they're losing their minds over this stuff. Like well, at the same time, are these the same people that would protest building a data center. It's like, you know, we want I want to use the phone. I want I demand information in the blink of an eye, and I want to have AI solve complex problems or answer tough questions for me, or take all this data that I have and break it down into and basically do my job for me, which is awesome. But I don't want the data centers going in my neighborhood. I want to go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It seems like, okay, well, why don't we do that in cities that are struggling and looking for tax revenue?
Speaker 2: Seems to it seems to be something to look at. Hey, real quick on this. Let me get to a Steve on a sale on seven hundred Wwteve?
Speaker 6: Hey, yeah, quick, note, you can't go off instead of wide when you're building data centers because of poward load requirements for going up are so high in cost.
Speaker 2: I'm trying you broke up the what the what going up?
Speaker 6: Is the poor loading cost?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I got you.
Speaker 6: Yes, So I did many of projects for AT and T and we would go into buildings, then we would have to do a whole buildout of infrastructure for foreloading.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, battery makes sense? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So yeah, what is this something you think you think there'd be a way to do well? I mean I looking at some of the areas, and you know people are always well, we're wiping out a whole city block for this, and yeah, but you know the point of it is is let's look for reasons to bring revenue in as opposed as opposed to just going well, I guess you're going to raise your taxes us. Okay, So the load, the load of the flow, you did basically have to build an entirely new building. If you're going to do that, then the floors would be fifteen feet thre got.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: And then the last comment also is like you said, but you said it in a more professional way than I would have. Hamblet County's pretty dag on blue and corrupt. So after doing many projects in this town or New York City, you know, it kind of goes back to the Rodney Dangerfield of school that came out.
Speaker 3: You got to grease to the wheel, got to pay off the unions. Got it well that you know, the deeper the blue, the more corrupt it is. But I will say the deeper the red the marker, the more the one side controls that, the more corruption you get. That's how it works. Slowly on the Home of the Red seven hundred w sincenat money money, money, money, money, money. Everybody wants more. Hamblet County may ask voters to increase the Children's Services levy. Last time we did this was about eight years ago. So the current funding is that we just don't have enough money for all the kids. And this is not new, Butler County is just going to They just introduced I think a new two mill levee that they want to pass as well. It's all over the state as well, because that poverty gap continues to increase. There's just not enough money anymore to care for the kids. And this would fund the abuse neglect hotlines, foster care, family preservation, reunification, independent living programs. I'm involved, as you know, King of Mardi Gras coming up in Northern Kentucky Convention Center on Fat Tuesday. We raise money to feed kids for three agencies here in Cincinnati, and so it's a very real thing. Currently, the cost for this levy is eighty one bucks per hundred one hundred thousand dollars of home value. This one would increase at minimum eighty percent and eighty percent increase at minimum on that's joining the show is our good friend, Hamlin County Commissioner Alisha Reese.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. How are you.
Speaker 7: I'm doing good?
Speaker 8: Long Happy new.
Speaker 3: Year, Happy new Year. I don't know if it's a happy new year yet. And I'm looking at these numbers. I got to be honest with you, I'm like, it's making me blush. You know, a minimum eighty percent increase, the optimal number would double that from sixty five million to one hundred and twenty three million dollars. The ideal funding levels one hundred and twenty three. That's Alicia. You know, we've got you. You're out all the time. You talk about, hey, you know the stadium thing and you're not getting your money back from that, and then the property tax valuations. And I also I look at all these things, the cost of livings going through the roof as well. It's never a good time to ind so levy. But boy, you're not. I'm looking at this going this is a tough ask.
Speaker 8: Right now, no one, It definitely is.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's the timing of doing something like this, and one of the things we've got to do. I wasn't on the commission, uh, you know, eight years ago. Uh. But when I came on the commission, they said they had combined two levies and at that time we would have, you know.
Speaker 8: Additional money.
Speaker 7: And in twenty twenty four December had been asking about how much money do we have in the reserves and at that time is that they said one hundred.
Speaker 8: Million dollars in reserves. That's twenty twenty four December.
Speaker 7: Now you fast forward at twenty twenty five of December, it was well, wait a minute, now we have a thirty million dollars potential gap. Uh, in order to make it and keep things going. Uh, And so I said, wait a minute. You know, I'm going to ask what the taxpayers are going to ask, how are did you have one.
Speaker 8: Hundred million dollars in reserves?
Speaker 7: Now you're bankrupt almost and now just in time to have a levee. And so I've been asking those questions is people have asked me and the timing is just the horrible you know. Number one, the reason there is this children's services levee because we have unfunded mandates by the states that we have to pay for this and it'll come out of the general fund and those kind of things if we don't have the levees. I call it trickle down taxation from the state. They say we cut at the state, but then mandate at the local level to raise taxes. I am not convinced to move toward more money right now, yet I want to get all the information because I'm looking at the timing of this. Homeowners are getting their tax bill. It's an increase on property taxes. At the same time as you've vindicated, the city is looking at if you live in the city of Cincinnati, they're looking at an income tax increase. So now your check is gonna get shorter at the same time, your gas and.
Speaker 8: Electric have gone up. Some people have tripled.
Speaker 7: Water bills was an increase at the same time, and a lot of people, some people have even lost their jobs, have been forced into retirement. Inflation is there. It can't go to the grocery store and buy anything because that's jumping out the roof. And so we've got to look at these things at timing and at the same time, as government entities, we must look at everything, not in a silo, but in general. In other words, we can't look at the Bengals deal as a separate thing. And we got money, and we can make it work and we can get creative, which I voted against because it cut out.
Speaker 8: The homeowners getting a break.
Speaker 7: Now on the other side, so we gave that deal away with no break to the homeowners of thirty percent. Now we come over here, and now you want to say what the homeowner's got to pay it increase because over here we don't have any money. And so I'm one that don't think does not think that these are two sets of different money, because they all are. You know, that comes from sales tax and those kinds of things, and we have to. We can't be over here said no money, and then over here we're talking about arenas, we're talking about eight hundred million dollars, potentially, idea on the bank. We're talking all these things on here. But then when it at the end, you say, I want the taxpayers, the homeowners who barely can make it to pay for everything, and we get to them, we're broken.
Speaker 2: But we need to develop that arenas.
Speaker 3: Ye arenas, they bring money and we we you know, we need that outside money to come here, Convention Center, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: That's good. That's how you increase the tax base and produce the brank.
Speaker 7: I agree. I agree that we want money to come in, but when we have the money that comes in, I'm looking where it's going. I mean, we're doing things and it's not going to help us. I'm or you know, I'm tourism former assistant director for.
Speaker 8: The whole state and everything.
Speaker 7: Those dollars should be going in to reduce the cost on the homeowners. Those dollars don't do that. Those dollars come in and now we're on another development and then they don't have to pay taxes. It's an abatement, it's a you know free, we're taxing everybody, but nothing. I'm looking at the pot. I'm thinking the same thing you're thinking. We bring all this money in, it's to go over here and now we'll help the homeowners and the local people. But it doesn't do that because we haven't put our foot down to make sure that it does that. There's these dollars, these oh we if we do this, this Bengal deal, we could have got I think, a better deal and gotten where the homeowners wouldn't have had to be written out of the deal.
Speaker 8: But we did it.
Speaker 7: So we've got to be more intentional. And that's my fight. My fight is we can't look at these is siloed because if I'm grandma with my house and I look and see in the newspaper that you got a you know, a three hundred and fifty million dollar deal with to take for example, the Bengals deal, we wanted to have some state money so we can reduce our money, so we can have the homeowners. Guess what, we didn't get that. Now they're saying, we're going to go for state money. And I asked the administrator, if we get this state money, will that reduce the cost. So now we can give the homeowners a big break. He said, no, that we would have to do matching money.
Speaker 8: That's more money.
Speaker 7: So if we go to state, now there's more money. So there hasn't been enough intentionality saying every deal we must leverage in order to cut the cost on the local taxpayers. And that's what they're not seeing. They're not seeing that that is happening, and so unfortunately, well we're in this situation. But let me just say, in Adams County it went to the ballot children, and these are people normally vote for it. I mean, like you said, Adams County, they said they couldn't afford it. They voted it down. Claremont County said they couldn't afford they voted it. So we're in a situation. Yeah, we're in a situation where people don't want to make that choice, but they're making choices between do I save my house, do I be about my groceres, my medicine because they keep putting taxes on top of them and the costs keeps going up.
Speaker 2: You're not selling this vote for it.
Speaker 7: If this thing fails, I'm saying, well, well, one of the things that we're looking at, Plan a is. I told them, minister, let's come and be creative and see have we looked at everything to be creative, not do what we always been doing. Let's see what's what's available to what would be the level? You know most of the time we put things on they've being flat.
Speaker 8: What would be the level?
Speaker 7: Uh. The other thing is going to the state seeing you know, the governor can you help because this has been a big thing and these are state mandates. So for me, I want to comb everything first, is what I'm saying. I'm not telling people not to vote. And then the other thing is out there options. Can you put options on a ballot? Can you put a B and C on a ballot? Or do you only have to do one number? You know what I'm saying. So people say, well, wait a minute. I want to support it, but I can't go to this level. But I could go to this level, why I wait till it get voted down and then come back with a smaller level. So I don't know what those are, but I said, these are difficult and different times, so we have to think differently. So we definitely got to support our children. I've certainly have been about that youth employment and foster care and those kinds of things. But I also think that we've got to come up with some other solutions because what's happening with the foster care the providers are charging us out the roofs now and they're they're not even doing RFPs with us. They just sit back and say, you know you're desperate, you're gonna come to us, and now we're gonna price gal And so what are we gonna do about the price galage? Because it's not If we can't stop the bleeding, it's gonna continue to go up, up and up. So I'm looking for us to put all our thinking caps on and look at the what is the best way, But take everything into consideration is what I'm saying. Everything into consideration and put it together and uh, let's see where we go from there. But that's you know, we're in a tough spot right now. But we've got to think it through because I would hate for it. You know, what happened in Adams County would happen in Claremont County. But if for us that you go back to the drawing board. So my thing is, let's don't go back to the drawing board. Let's go to the drawing board now and try to see if we could come with something that would be a more balance.
Speaker 3: Alicia Reese, we've seen this happen before in the county but also well as the city pretty much everywhere is all right, you weren't around, you were in an office in twenty eighteen when this was last passed. Why did the county wait until the cost became so unsustainable rather than pursuing smaller, more frequent increases.
Speaker 2: And you know, if.
Speaker 3: We are we just going to do this every year, and are we going to come back another ten years and go, oh, we need to triple it now? I mean, why not put this on the ballot sooner?
Speaker 7: You know, those was a very good question. I mean those are questions that I would I have, and that.
Speaker 8: We have to look at you.
Speaker 7: But I think people didn't want to have to vote on levees every single year. We have other levees as well. We've got the uh, you know, we've got the hospital levee, right, We've got a number of other levees. And I don't I don't think you know you're going to be on the ballot every year with a levee. But I also think that we've got to look at this rising cost price gouging if you will, of those facilities where we have to you know, place the chill in those facilities. But we got to do something about this price gouging. And that's why I think the governor and uh you know, possibly you know, the governor Attorney general to all get in place, because this is not just the Hamilton County problem. This is around the whole state of Ohio. And if we keep going in this way where you know, supplying demand right, it's going to really it's going to you know, bankrupt the taxpayers. And so that's why I want us to not just hey, we're putting a levee on, let's talk about how like you said, let's get some new ways, some new ideas, let's get some help from the state. Uh So when we do have something, we could tell the taxpayers that hey, this is not something that's gonna just keep them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's a it's a tough ask.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, I think most of us are pretty empathetic towards us because we have kids, young, young kids who you know, you're born in this world, you don't get to choose how your parents are, your economic situation. We have no say that, and they are entering care with more intensive mental health problems, more behavioral issues, more developmental needs. The cases from the case because I talked to are getting more severe. There's an increase in total case load, and so the whole system, it's not just one air. It seems like the whole system is strained, and we got to figure out a way to fund that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 7: I definitely agree with you. I mean, these are innocent children who you know, it's not on them, and that's why I don't want to have a put the taxpayers in a position because we've had people that have been supportive. I mean, we've supported this. I feel like our county has been you know, we've always been one to step up. We want children to have a fair chance. Children are not born in equal circumstances, but we don't want to put the homeowner in that position. And that's what I'm trying to do because I'm hearing from people that they have normal support this and everything else. But I can't survive, and so we've got to have some kind of a balance so that the people who are allies don't become adversaries. And that's what I think we got to show that we've looked at everything. We trying something different where we we we've we've talked to it. We've got try to get the state involved where we're dealing with this price gouging of some of the placement areas that have you know, went up on not everybody, but there's some that have went skyrocketed. And that's how we went from one hundred million dollars in one year of one hundred million dollars that we had in reserve in one year. So now you know we're rope in terms of that. So we we've got to do something about that problem as well. And then I don't think it's just solved with just Jeff's the levee. We've got to now come with you know, here are.
Speaker 8: Some new parameters.
Speaker 7: Or some new things, like you said, so it just does a balloon out of control.
Speaker 3: How do you stay ahead of inflation? And that's the thing is, uh, you know, we'll pay for this, but in short term, you know that's the budget's going to shrink anyway because of inflation out stabilizing some degree, but seems like the cost of everything is going on is that also the reason for the big ask here.
Speaker 7: Well, inflation is. But my understanding is that some of the providers and the care that we need, they around the state. This is a problem around the state. They skyrocketed their prices, you know what I'm saying, And we didn't have a choice. So either you take it or leave it. And those were the things that I understand. The consultants he had, the consultant, I don't know if he received the consultants had factored in some inflation. You know, you always cost the living, but they hadn't factored in that these providers that would not participate in the RFP process would sit back and say they got to come to us. And then when the county came to them, they said, this is the price, take it or lead it. They didn't factory was going to be that high. So I think inflation is something that I mean, of course you can't say how hot the inflation it's going to be, but it is factored in. We've got to kill our c group, and they do factor in some inflationary costs. But what was in factored in is I mean, these costs were astronomical and it was no choice because we are mandated to place the children in the care and they might be the only game in town you got me or around and it's not just in town, and they're seeing that across the whole state. And so that's why I think it's important that the governor intervened and maybe Attorney General to see is their price gouging going on at the expense of helping our children.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, if only we could have got more than the twenty five percent with the e Bengal Stadium deal from the team, they're a build up more money here, right.
Speaker 7: We got four percent only and if we could have got that, maybe the thirty percent could have helped.
Speaker 2: My money.
Speaker 7: Every bit help and every deal we look at. We've got to try to leverage every single deal because from a messaging standpoint, people are out there saying, well, wait a minute, you just did this over here and you couldn't give me a homeowner a break, And now over here you're gonna raise it over here, and then over here you're coming after my check with income tax. Wait a minute, now, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because I had Seth I had Seth Walsho on at nine this morning talking about the city income tax increase as well. And you live in Hamlin County. If you live in the city, also live in Hamlin County. So here it's coming at you with both barrels. She is uh Alicia Reese on the show on seven hundred WW Hamlin County Commissioner. Next step is going to be figuring out whether this goes on the spring of the fall ballot. We'll pick up that conversation then you'd be well, thanks for jumping on this morning.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I appreciate it. And again, like I said, this is something that we need. So we need the governor, we need to turn in general, we've got to deal with the price gouging on the backs of our children and then creating this cost burden that comes all the way down to people who have been allies for children's services and now you're forcing them to make a choice between food on their table or helping our children. That's insane. And so I hope that we can get something worked out to help us with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fingers crossed. Be well, we'll talk on seon. Appreciate you, all right, thank you?
Speaker 3: All right, we'll get a news update and how about that and then just ahead it's Julie on the job. Julie Buki jumps in to talk about I wonder what we're talking. Oh, we're talking about the autoworker flipped off Trump, or Trump flipped off rather and because he said some unsavory things at the president.
Speaker 2: We'll get that next here seven hundred.
Speaker 5: Giving you a vocational leg up on everyone else.
Speaker 1: Here's our career, sir.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we kick around job stuff on Wednesday mornings. Here on seven hundred w Obody Scottsland Show. Julie Bouki jumping back in with the story of well, last week anyway, kind of a blip here Ford Motor Company now suspending TJ. Sabuelo, the guy who yelled at Trump as he was touring a Michigan truck. Factor there a pedophile predator, protect pedophile protector, I thinks when he yelled at Trump regarding the Epstein stuff and Trump Trump and Trump fashion flipped the guy off. Uh, President's fine, But the four year old line worker now has been suspended. Julie, welcome, How.
Speaker 5: Are you.
Speaker 1: Good morning?
Speaker 9: I promised to never flip you off, at least not to your face.
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't you do that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'd rather do it behind.
Speaker 5: It used to be.
Speaker 3: It used to be like a big deal, and now people do it all that, like there's you know, bumper stickers and T shirts. The President's doing it, so it's it's not as rebellious as it used to be. I mean, I say something you curse somebody had, and they flip you off as like why should we be offended? That's really not that offensive anymore, is it?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 10: For sure?
Speaker 9: I mean when you look at just how common the F bomb is, Yeah, yeah, I mean we definitely when it comes to language, when it comes to that sort of activity, we've definitely course. Then there's there's no doubt. I think that Ford was embarrassed by this guy who decided that he would shout out at the president.
Speaker 2: And I'm good with all of it, quite honestly.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know, you're a voter, you're an American, you're working at a truck factory. I expect guys to use course language in the uaw not when you're.
Speaker 9: Standing there on an official company event. I think that's the difference if you're walking down the street. Yes, so yeah, I mean, what do we talk about this so many times? Your freedom of speech? But it's not freedom from consequences. And you're walking on the street and you do it, that's one thing. If you're standing as a part of an official tour, official event, of course you're going to be embarrassing the company, and the company will take action. I think it's you know, and we talk about, well, should Trump have responded. I will tell you that in twenty twenty, Biden called somebody the horses behind on a tour when the guy did the same thing.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 9: I think it's true that we we have Courson. But I also think that and maybe this is just the boomer in me, and we also have to really I mean, I have to really think about is this what I want to be known for?
Speaker 1: Is this?
Speaker 9: What is this how I want to represent myself? And this guy said, I don't regret it. He also got a huge gofund me for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Yeah, so suspended or fired, he has a really big pot waiting for him go fund me. And we see that now on both sides. We see that in Minneapolis on both sides with you know, I'll go fund me.
Speaker 2: We saw that with a.
Speaker 3: Cop murderer here in Cincinnati, for God's sake, we do and.
Speaker 9: It's just it's I don't know. I mean, you live long enough and it's just fascinating to watch how things over time clutching. Oh I'm not pear clutching. Look, I think about Believe me, I have very strong opinions on all of this, but it's not my role. I don't share those things. I wouldn't do something in public because I think about what's the long term impact on my possibilities, my opportunities, my reputation.
Speaker 5: That's just me.
Speaker 9: And this guy said, I don't regret it, Okay. You know he doesn't regret it, okay. And the President doesn't regret it either, Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Well, and that's where we are to take.
Speaker 2: If neither one was offended, it's okay.
Speaker 3: Then come on, now, you know this is your white collar you know you're working in HVAC Knights Climate Control building and you got your little coffee bar and I'm sure they have free Danish where you wore all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Your company's okay.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about hard scrabbled men and women that work for a living, blue collar workers, union workers that are out there hustling, working in factory building American cars. First of all, this is this language. Is what he said was a pedophile protector what exactly a curse word or any thing like that. A lot of people who voted for him, and maybe he was a Trump supporter, I don't know. That felt like, you know what the Epstein thing was. And there's a lot of people who voted for him saying, hey, he's going to out all these pedophiles and it didn't happen.
Speaker 2: He looks like he's protecting them.
Speaker 3: And so but you know, when you're the president and you show up, first of all, when you show up to a factory, you know that's the audience that you're playing.
Speaker 2: This is a bunch of bankers. This isn't P and G.
Speaker 3: I'd be with you on that one, but it's you know, people who build cars are a living, real real Americans in the heartland, and the president did the President did something that a lot of us do would just flip the guy off, and neither one was was that offended by it. But I also look at the context of where this doesn't matter that this happened in an assembly plant versus a boardroom.
Speaker 9: No, because whether you are a manager of accounting in one of the Ford offices, or you're on the line as a blue collar worker. Your paycheck comes from the same General Fund, and so you are still representing Ford. And that's why they felt like they had to take action. If they didn't, then I think that they would have the repercussion, maybe even from the administration, would have been a lot stronger. And so I think it's we're in the craziest time and that line between your work, your work persona, your work, everything about your work and everything about your personal life is because of social media, because of technology, there is no line anymore. And so I think we have to be extra cautious as individuals and say, is it look if I want a screen pedophile protector And I'm good with all the ramifications, okay, but I think we have to think. I always tell people think longer term than that think about and I say this when I see people get into political arguments on LinkedIn as an example, that's not meant to be a place to have political argument. I think you are potentially damaging or impacting at least half of your prospects by not knowing that this is an inappropriate place to have this conversation. Now does everyone believe that. No, But it's just I'm here to tell you how, I what I think and why I think. You've got to take the long and long term view with all of your behavior, both personally and professionally, because your conduct on either side can bleed over to the other side and can really limit your opportunities.
Speaker 1: Julie.
Speaker 3: The other factor here, the intermittigay factor, is the fact that mister Sibula is represented by the UAW. So you have it's a union, and so you have collective bargaining and they U should have stayed in the UAW did said that we believe in freedom of speech, a principle wholeheartedly we embrace and we stand with our membership and protecting their voice on their job. Sounds like the union is behind what this guy did. What does that ad a wrinkle the list?
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 9: It depends on what their contract says, I mean, depends on what is protected under their contract. So yeah, and when you when you are when you are part of a union, you do have a bigger voice and you have other people speaking up on your behalf regardless, and so there is some benefit there. And so we'll see how this plays out. I think what's so interesting about where we are right now. I attended an event where attorneys we're talking about AI and social media and you know what's legal? What's not legal? Is it is it legal to fire somebody because of what they put on social media? And these really smart attorneys collective answer was TBD. We don't know it's playing out in the courts. And so we're still in that We're in that place where technology has taken over our lives, but we're not to the point yet where we have really wrestled down what does that actually mean? What's okay and what isn't? And so the courts will weigh in on this over the next couple of years, and it's just right now, we're in the middle of the mess.
Speaker 3: We are in the middle of the mess. Julie's on this morning our career. Sure, but Julie Balki the Bauki group about the worker at the UAW plant in Michigan, Trump is touring there, yelled up pedophile protector and Trump flipped them off and thought that was the end of it. Well, this guy wound up getting suspended for a p I don't know how long you do you know how long you was suspended? A couple a couple hours is fine, Just take a long launch.
Speaker 2: We're good.
Speaker 3: The other part of this thing too, isn't this more political than it is job related stuff? But Republicans are you know, I'm sure they're clutching their polls about these saying to the off you can't talk to the president that was so disrespectful. I mean, meanwhile, we have a president that says far, far worse stuff on true social seemingly every day. Democrats love this whole thing because it's against Trump. But these are the same people who you know, the woke culture censorship. But then well that's different. Well, no, it's the same thing. So you know, there's a lot of hypocrisy to go around in this situation.
Speaker 9: There is there, always is, isn't there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know just what kind of juice for it. Why did Ford have to feel like that? You said they felt like they had to do Why, well, then just let it go with Typically in PR, it's like, you know, if you don't call attention to it, it just goes away. Now you're not making it go away, That's what makes sense.
Speaker 9: I'm sure that every PR person would say that they had to make some sort of statement, and I'm sure they're in their communications had put that statement together and it was something like this was inconsistent with our values as an organization. And that's probably because as a company you have to think what are our shareholders going to say?
Speaker 8: How about our board?
Speaker 9: How about our customers? And so I think they had to come out and say something. I think in this case, because it was reported in the press, I think they didn't have any choice but to say something. Sometimes silence isn't the best response. Until they gave kind of a you know, they hit the middle of the road and tried to appease all the different parties. And what if they hadn't done anything, would there have been repercussions from the administrate, from the polical administration? We don't know, or would it have been forgotten about? So I think they they probably split the baby and did what they felt like they had to do without going overboard.
Speaker 2: We suspend, but no one knows how long the guy was suspended. That's key.
Speaker 3: Is it a week or like forty five minutes, like ten minutes? Just take a we put you in time out like a toddlinet.
Speaker 2: Did you go in the time out.
Speaker 9: You've got a big fat bank account of Yeah, it was like that. How these gofundmes work?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well the thing is the guy's like, well, damn, I gotta do this dollar. I may just got to follow around the apple. There's more money in that than it is building cars these days. Yeah, it's like, well, you know, does Ford Motor also invite this? You know, you have someone and that's polarizing in this case President I it's always President's always good to say Joe Biden's polarizing, Trump's polarizing. Next president be polarizing. Doesn't this Are we in an area now where this kind of goes to the territory, you.
Speaker 9: Know it kind of does? I mean, look at all the booing at public events when Trump's space is on the square board regardless, I mean, it is more booing than well.
Speaker 3: Then there's people who are cheering. Depending on the event. Mean, you go to a NASCAR race, it's different, right, depends.
Speaker 9: Where you go, and you're not that's right, that's right, And you're not gonna You're not going to chase down every one of those people and try to get them fired or start and goes on me for them. So that's a different venue than than when you're when you have a public when you have a formally scheduled event with the press there, yeah, and one of your employees embarrasses you. I mean, that's that's literally what it comes down to. They felt like they had to do something regardless of how they felt, and they all these big companies have very carefully controlled and well bought up pr and I'm sure this was a hastily called meeting in which they looked at all sides and decided what they had to do.
Speaker 10: That was.
Speaker 9: That was that hit the spot most without with offending the least amount of people.
Speaker 6: Put it that way.
Speaker 2: All right, let's say this.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I don't know, the President's US Bank arena or pray something like that, and the cameras are all over the place, and you know, it's pretty quilty of a sudden nine Jack Crumbley from the newsroom screams out something and it's like, oh my god, hey look at that guy, or I don't know, it could be Julie Balki, Scotslain, whoever. It's like, well, you know, the online world is going to docks that person they're going to find out who they are and they're going to start sweating their employer because I booed someone at at at a rally. Now does that do I wind up getting suspended losing my job over that? I mean, it's a it's a it's a that's a different thing. It's not the workplace, it's a public event. Are we look what happened. We talked about the you know, the atwork romance with the CEO and the subbort the head of HR at the at the concert right now wind up losing jobs and call over that thing?
Speaker 2: Is that the same thing? I mean?
Speaker 3: Are now are we going to be censored to some degree because hey, I may have a protest signed at an event, regardless of what it might be, or somebody sees that and identifies me, and now I could lose my job because I disagree with someone and I'm exercise in my First Amendment rights.
Speaker 9: That is what is being litigated, and there are a lot of cases wending their way through the court system to answer just exactly that question. And so the answer is we don't know. All we know is that from a company standpoint, I think you have to have a pretty clear social media policy. And so if you've got attorneys, if you've got labor attorneys, you know, on your you know, on your team, or you know, sort of as external advisors, you need to get with them and get really clear on what is your social media policy? How far can you go? Because this is still being determined and it's messy and I could argue both sides of it. And so I think that's where we are.
Speaker 3: I think we're in a society too many dan busybodies, That's what I think. It's like, it's different. It's like, yeah, it used to be like we don't okay, okay, yeah you don't like this person or cause or okay, great, and now we got to know root them out and eliminate them. So a lot of people with a lot of time in their hands.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: Julie Balki our career Ship on The Scott's Loan Show. If you want to go on social media and start haranguing people, you may want to consult her first. She's at the Balki Group Bauke dot com. She and her team ready to work for you, career coach consulting, et cetera. She jumps on the show every Wednesday morning with Julie on the job.
Speaker 2: All the best.
Speaker 3: We'll talk next week. Appreciate you. Let's do news. How about that Trump is at Davos right now. I was doing old Q and A. We'll have what that was about. Also, weather forecast look a little dicey this week and especially maybe a severe winter storm. Then again, maybe nothing, who knows. We'll find out. Just ahead with news on seven hundred WW. Sinccenat oh Man.
Speaker 2: What ain't happening today?
Speaker 3: Sloan here seven hundred W LW So Greenland is he big story today and the President is threatening more terrorists to the Europeans unless we get Greenland and American's closest European allies. They have declared an end to the US led global order, whatever that means. And this is going to come to a head today. The President arrived in Davos, Switzerland, earlier this morning for the World Economic Forum summit, where he's going to speak. Presumably there's going to be some sidebars going on where he's talking to other European leaders. We'll find out what happens. Carl Delfeld is here. He is the Independent Republican Senior FOLLO at the Center for Economic Security, advised a Senate Finance committee, he's advised a Treasury department, and now us here on seven hundred WW Carl, welcome back, are.
Speaker 1: You good morning, Good to be with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crazy days here.
Speaker 3: So you know the markets are markets are where they are today, but we know we lost like eight hundred and seventy points on this news. Mondays the Dollar Index, which measures a dollar strength against the other world major currencies, that fell by eight tenths of a percent, which is doesn't sound like a lot, but in the currency markets, that's a huge that's a that's that's an epic shift. The dollar index had its worst day. I think that since August, the euro is up zero point sixty five percent against the dollar. You hear that our global investors looking to reduce their exposure to the US because again, money is scared of volatility, and we're pretty volatile right now. And how long does this go and what's it mean for the dollar long term?
Speaker 10: Well, the dollar was off nine percent last year, and I think the trend that that that sort of trend will continue, in part because of what you just brought up to kind of the geopolitical and financial risk. I mean, our debt is approaching now forty trillion dollars. It probably hit it by the end of the year. So just you know, America's brand has always been dynamic stability, you know, dynamic economy and culture in a stable political environment, and that's under pressure.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 10: And that's why gold is doing so well. I mean, if you wanted me to sum up what's going to happen today, it's probably going to be another good day for gold.
Speaker 2: And bonds per well.
Speaker 3: I am in that too, because we're wearing so much in debt now that looks like that's questionable too. Someone compared this to and I was just a child then, so maybe you can can shine light on this one. Nixon then was it seventy seventy one, seventy two somewhere around there, and it took us off the gold standard and that was a I guess a monu mil shift at that time. And we saw what happened in early seventies. You know, we had energy crissease and everything else. But take us back to seventy one and houses.
Speaker 1: Compare, Yeah, what's similar.
Speaker 10: I mean, the seventy one was a huge break because you had to bret wits agreements right after World War Two, when we set up the IMF and the World Bank, and basically we were by far we were the kingpin. Unimaginable even today. I mean, we had fifty percent of global trade, fifty percent of manufacturing, fifth percent of GDP.
Speaker 1: I mean, we were.
Speaker 10: So we basically used the dollar to boord of stabilize the financial system and try to get Europe in particular back on its feet in Japan and so on. So when that happened in seventy one, when the gold was just flying out of the door, and so John Connolly's Treasury secretary at that time the Texan he famously said to his cohorts the other finance ministers, it's our dollar and its year problem. So yeah, that was quite a shock, in particular to Japan, our allies like Japan. But today I think, well, we'll see what happens today. I think it's a very tricky situation because it's hard to see a face saving compromise that Trump would accept and that the Europeans, the NATO, the NATO, the EU, the.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven countries in EU.
Speaker 10: And thirty countries that NATO would accept as well. I don't think it's going to be settled during this short trip. I think they're going to punt and find some way to kind of deflect it down the road a little bit.
Speaker 1: But you know, this is.
Speaker 10: If the NATO basically crumble. In other words, if Trump took Greenland, either by force or by just just really leaning hard and disrupted NATO, the NATO alliance, I think it would be a kin.
Speaker 1: In nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 10: Because we don't realize how important Europe is to US. I mean, when we look at our alliance system, everybody says, well, US has such a great alliances, but when you really look at it carefully, it's Europe, it's Japan, and it's South Korea and Asia. I mean, I mean, we have a lot of other friends and allies, but those are the key ones.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, I look at Carlin, like, you know, when Jade Vance said, I think he said that Europe is decaded.
Speaker 2: He's he's not wrong about that.
Speaker 3: You know, they they have migration problems, they suppressed free speech. I look at that, go it's not like, you know, Europe is just continuing to be Europe here and they're struggling to they're facing fertility crisis and everything else. And you know, we try to put in context why we want to acquire Greenland, and I have a lot of questions about that, but I don't think, you know, he's we're simply because Europe and then they get it, they're kind of stuck in the past to some degree.
Speaker 2: We don't want to do that. We continue to evolve.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, the EU is preparing to launch with this thing called a trade bazuka.
Speaker 2: What is that? What's it mean? And if implemented, what impacts I can have on us?
Speaker 10: Well, if you look at EU, he was, as I said, twenty seven countries, four hundred and fifty million people. So it's big, and it's a you know, these are developed economy, so sophisticated economy, right, they could be stronger, and you know, obviously they're behind the United States in some areas, but it's still pretty pretty sizable mass. So so basically our exports. For example, that's our biggest export market, bigger than Canada and Mexico combined. I mean, it's a big number. So what they what I what they're planing to do is I think put together you know, well over one hundred billion dollars of US exports to the EU and impede them in some way with the tariff for something. And I mean it's not nothing. I mean, I agree with you that Europe should be doing a lot better, and it's growth is it's sort of treading water, and it has problems. Of course, the Europeans will look back at US and say, well, we have problems, but you have problems too, So you know, everybody is struggling with certain issues. But I still think, I still think NATO is important and a rupture of it would be something. I tell you what was really surprising to.
Speaker 3: Be we need I mean, I get that, you know, I'm with you the European thing, but at the same time, it's like those are important allies in this world.
Speaker 2: You just can't simply go it alone.
Speaker 10: Right, especially with China. And I just finished my State of the US China Rivalry, and it's not pretty. I mean, China is gaining ground in the rivalry. Uh, and so we have to keep that in the back of our mind. Uh that uh, you know, because that's that is the that is the issue of the decade is US and China and anything we can do to improve our position viasa China is something we should do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: He is Carl Delfeld. He is a the Independent Republican. He's a fellow at the Center Freak Onomic Security. Also advised the Senate Finance Committee and the US Treasury Department and talking about Trump arriving in Davos, Switzerland, and we have trade wars and trade bazookahs, and of course this is all over whether or not we should take over Greenland, which to me is like I look at it, gok is that it could It could very well be an important military asset, an asset for mineral wealth and everything else. Yeah, but it belongs to Denmark. And you know, to me, it seems like Carl very simply is just keeping the Danes as allies have them pay for. I know, there's like sixty thousand people and the entire continent. I look at it and go, okay, well that's good for the Danes. I don't think that China Russia will invade because they know the United States is right there when we'll certainly go and defend that territory. So why do we need it anyway? We could strike mineral rights deals and everything else. We have an air force base or a space base there anyway, So why do we actually physically need to take it.
Speaker 10: Well, you make good points. The other thing to keep in mind is the fifty sixty thousand people there. They're Danish citizens, they vote in Danish elections, they go to school in Denmark, you know, to college and so on. So if they get free universal healthcare, they get free secondary and so they maybe wanted to become independent, but they're pretty happy with the situation with Danes. It's cost them about a billion dollars a year to subsidize those fifty thousand people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you. I mean, I think what I would prefer is that we do it.
Speaker 10: US has a lot of flexibility there, and so if we want to build it up there, we can. It's one area that the NATO could be very very positive because you know, the High North as they call it in military terms. Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Denmark, they all play pretty big roles up there. Canada too, So if we want to really push back against Russia and China, who are much more active in the Arctic region, we can do it.
Speaker 1: We can do it much better together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Carl, I look at the situation Okay, we're fighting over Greenland right now. They're gonna hit We're gonna hit tariffs on them. They're gonna hit tteriffs back on us. New study came out from a long time, highly respected economic think tank. It shows ninety six percent of tariff costs over the last well year. Now, of this, ninety six percent of terra costs fall on American importers, and therefore consumers the Ford exporters are only absorb about four percent of this. So we have seen a two hundred billion dollar surge in customs revenue last year.
Speaker 2: Uh and that is almost entirely.
Speaker 3: Ninety six percent of that two hundred billion is paid for by Americans. And we're gonna up that ante a little bit, you know. And at the same time, I got it. You gotta say that, you know, we we the markets are looking at this going. Hey, inflation's kind of sticky right now, a lot of this, but we expect that to subside in the next year. So there's some damage done here. But the reality of what is this done to our economies?
Speaker 2: Is it working?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 10: You look at the sharing I saw that study, and there's so many different studies. But even even if it's not ninety six percent. I mean, let's let's take the fifty to fifty. It's still a consumer tax. So it's all it's certainly going to be the higher prices. I saw that Amazon, the Amazon CEO said they're seeing prices creep up. So like in the beginning, the exporters might take, you know, a cut, you know, absorb a cut of that tariff, but as time goes on, they'll recede, so it's hard to argue that it's not a consumer tax and consumers. Now, the revenue is the thing that I find interesting because we're getting about thirty billion dollars or so of revenue, so that's three hundred and sixty billion dollars a year. That seems like a big number, but think about this in terms of our budget deficit, we're about two two trillion dollars. Of that over four hundred billion is just for the Department of Better Affairs, not for our defense budget, for the Department of Veteran Affairs until four hundred billion dollars a year. So sure, it's good to have a three hundred and sixty billion dollars, but if it's largely coming from Americans and it's not even covered covering the Department of Veterans Affairs. To me, it's not a big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we're not going to back down from this thing because that looks like weakness, even though it might make sense that in the shorter we just he just doesn't do that right. And I think you know, you look at the Germans for example, too, and they it seems like they're avoiding a full blown trade war because they're trying to get more of a determined, a deterurn in place. So it's not de escalation. People just keep up in the abbey. Where do you see things playing out over the next year.
Speaker 10: Well, we'll see how this in Europe plays out. But I think I think, well, we're just you know, one thing we have to mention is that the Supreme Court is can be coming out any anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean literally.
Speaker 10: Could be today, and that's going to be a big one because if they if they rule as expected and don't allow the emergency measures that Trump has used to impose these tariffs, there's going to be a lot of uncertainty, there's going to be refund issues, there's gonna be it's a mess.
Speaker 1: So I think you're right that.
Speaker 10: The tariffs are there for the long term to some degree, but it's basically caused a lot of volatility and a lot of confusion, and I think I think it's hurt the US brand, and I I just tend to think a lot of these issues could should be settled a little bit more quietly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's not Trump's nature. And that's also that the bad.
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, I mean, I mean, I think going back to Greenland, if you really think about it, I think President Trump sees it as a massive real estate deal.
Speaker 1: And uh, you know, you look.
Speaker 10: Through history Jefferson Louisiana purchase, and then uh and then Alaska and and so on, and I think he sees that this is his legacy.
Speaker 1: But this is a big, big, you know.
Speaker 10: Three times Texas, and this could be his legacy.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and maybe that's why I'm so obsessed with Greenland, I guess. And but but pursuing that is, you know, we lose Europe, we lose NATO's gone. That certainly makes Putin happy, and it seems like it strengthens our enemies, whether it's UH, Russia, but particularly China, maybe even Iran too.
Speaker 10: Well. Anything that does you know, like I said, I mean the allies, the US and its allies are the Allies are probably one of the key strengths of you know, American power around the world. And if we need to value them, and if we lose them China, Russia, Iran, that that that whole coalition just gets stronger relatively speaking. So I don't think it's worth it. But you know, we're in a situation now where that's where we are. I mean, we have to accept reality. But we'll see we can manage is this is this is tricky because you know they you know, don't forget the other side has a pride to Yeah, that's I think.
Speaker 3: That's a good point, is that, you know, when when we're getting a standing ovation for putting down the United States, and that should get our attention. At the same time, though, there's a tea leaves of your I was talking about, you know that being empathetic towards Europe, but you know it's there. Their social policies are terrible over there, immigration is terrible over there. It's not like their economies are burgeoning either.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: At the same time, yea, with the subsession with Greenland, we saw how this played out to some degree in Canada. You know, they had an election there and you know there's a lot of people in Europe that are leaning to the right. They went there's it feels like almost I don't know if it's a majority, but there's a tipping point for nationalism versus globalism, and it's going nationalism's way. There's a right lean to Europe, at least with a lot of people. Anyway, we watch what happened in Canada, uh, and I think what happened with Trump and Canada is instead of having a right wing ally come in uh, they ended up being ruled by another liberal globalist.
Speaker 10: Yeah, or a technocrat kind of Jarney's kind of he's kind of uh, you know, like a international organization CFO type of god. Very intelligent Carney. But you know, the the other thing that the big news uh yesterday was his speech in in UH in Switzerland, where he called he called the bargain with the United States is no longer working and yeah, yeah, and that the US world order is uh in a stage of disruption or or rupturing and I guess is the word he used. And that's remarkable given given the trade flows, and that the the US with I don't know what they call it now, but NAFTA is a per negotiation. So I was a little bit startled by how public he was with that position. Yeah, you got a standing, Oh of course, so it yes, I mean there's always you know, it's not like I said, it's not a real estate deal. I mean you're dealing with nations and politics and national pride and so on. So yeah, it's just it's a little just a little bit more voliative. We're in a very it's kind of an age of people. The World War two order seems to be coming to an end, and what's going to emerge is hard to see.
Speaker 2: Brave New World. He is Carl Delfeld.
Speaker 3: Carl is on the show this morning on seven hundred W Lowty talking about Green Leave. We'll see how plays out at Davos today. He's the Independent Republican Senior Fellow the Center for Economic Security. Thanks again, Carl, the.
Speaker 1: Best, Thank you. I have a good day.
Speaker 3: You two news on the way in just minutes, completely updating and what's happening around the world in here and keep an eye on the markets with all this noise too as well.
Speaker 2: Sloaney.
Speaker 3: Back in about six minutes on seven hundred WLW with this report.
Speaker 5: A good she shut that pig, the snort report.
Speaker 2: All right, snort report time.
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 12: I just saw memories the other day. Sorry, ooh, got some new headphones We're get used to. Okay, the who's your glue?
Speaker 5: Is in mine?
Speaker 2: But speaking of glue, what were you hoff in this morning?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I'm kind of I'm not one hundred percent right now. I was up late last night watching Miami.
Speaker 5: Oops.
Speaker 12: Oh back to back o t wins twenty and oh this team refuses to lose.
Speaker 3: I love it because here's Sarah you know, finally rag you want if you want to know which team in the region is doing well, you just look at what she's wearing. She's rocking her brand new Miami had with a tag on it.
Speaker 12: I think I've had this thing since I graduated. We don't need to talk about the date.
Speaker 2: There is no greater front runner in sports than sarahly.
Speaker 12: I was wearing my indie gear on Tuesday. Go Hoosier, big fan of big big kirt girl.
Speaker 2: Couldn't tell you where you love.
Speaker 12: What his daughter had tweeted out the other day. Of course, we talked about all the things trending on social Yes, she goes, look he's finally he's smiling.
Speaker 5: She put up a pic of her down.
Speaker 3: You watched the I'm watching the game, and I only got to watch.
Speaker 5: The first half. I had to get up early the next day. The block of.
Speaker 3: Punt score a touchdown, and you look at him and you swear that Indiana is the one who had the punt block.
Speaker 6: You would have.
Speaker 5: Thought that they hit it on a note saying you've got jewry. Dude, he's pissed off.
Speaker 2: He was pissed off when his own team just a touchdown.
Speaker 3: So you just scored a defensive especial teams touchdown and you you look mad.
Speaker 5: He's just simple man too.
Speaker 12: I mean a few things do make him smile, especially when they say, so, how are you going to celebrate?
Speaker 5: He goes, just a cold beer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty good.
Speaker 5: Ready makes him happy.
Speaker 3: He's talking about, well this is good because you know, I mean, sixty two, he's waited forever to get this job and everything. But you know he's talking about, well, I hopefully continue this because I need the money he made, like what thirteen fourteen mil?
Speaker 2: I think you're doing okay?
Speaker 5: I think you're good to go, right, and you can't really top what just happened. I mean it was his store.
Speaker 3: He's like, I'm not going to the NFL. I'm a college football because this is what I do. Good for him?
Speaker 5: Would you replace Zach Taylor?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: With this, he would know he wouldn't want the job. Why would he want to do that?
Speaker 5: Okay, but what if it was offered to him.
Speaker 2: I'd run because all you're going to do is take the row.
Speaker 5: You're gonna take the arrows.
Speaker 3: Wait, I get to be the head coach in the coordinator, and also I get to be the head Chiefs guy. And also I got to be the face of the franchise.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 5: What a better face?
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 5: Last night.
Speaker 12: We got to give brobst our guy Peter Soonter with twenty seven points for the red Ogs.
Speaker 5: I'm still going to talk about them.
Speaker 12: We've got one more game until I'm there, and so I'm there on the thirty first for Alumni weeked Oh great. Yeah, we got a double hudder with the ladies hoops at one and then the men playing at three point thirty at Molett.
Speaker 5: So do't we get to be back there? I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Go back to campus.
Speaker 12: Go back to campus, bagel and deli, maybe grab a drink, a brick street, right, feel real old and creepy, go.
Speaker 3: Hang out with other white People's great.
Speaker 5: Lots of that happening in Oxford. Lots of that. We do have some hoops to know.
Speaker 11: Let's go, Okay, give me all the vineyard. Yea vines, Miami, It's official logo.
Speaker 12: That's when Sarah was in her very preppy era. Hey, Tom, we were just talking about the Hoosiers. What are you still doing here? By the way, so late in the moment.
Speaker 3: He does well, he's got got meetings. I'm guessing the meetings.
Speaker 5: Kiss yes, kiss, and so yeah, tonight we got some hoops.
Speaker 12: The you see Bearcats a late one nine o'clock tonight against number one Aramanda.
Speaker 5: Though I know, can they do it again?
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 3: You show up paper bags and boo the team and all the stuff. You shouldn't do that, and guess what they want.
Speaker 12: Got some fire under their And I didn't really see any of the paper bags. We talked about the paper bags last week. I didn't really see those in the stands. Xavier Tonight's Blue Jays at seven o'clock.
Speaker 5: Very ridiculous.
Speaker 2: We're gonna start that in Pittsburgh next year. If they can't win, plastic bags on your heads.
Speaker 5: They got to get a coach first.
Speaker 12: Do you think Tomlin really stepped down or was there some conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good question.
Speaker 5: It's time to get out of here.
Speaker 2: One every year. I mean, it's pretty good record.
Speaker 5: It's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 12: Uh, sixty four days until opening day and the fans were definitely sited over the weekend at Reds Fest, almost a record about twenty two thousand people in attendance for that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not bad.
Speaker 12: It felt crowded too Friday night a little packs was it packed? Very yeah? Shoulder to shoulder, the field down.
Speaker 2: Those are good.
Speaker 5: People were excited.
Speaker 2: They were excited.
Speaker 12: Yeah, especially during team intros introducing Tito. Ellie de la Cruz got a lot of applause. I don't know how Ellie feels about us here in Cincinnati though.
Speaker 2: About that contract?
Speaker 5: What yeah, what does that contract look like? Ain't he said no, thank you?
Speaker 12: And Scott looked at that thing like, you know what, maybe you could do better here in a couple of years.
Speaker 5: But we do have him through twenty twenty seven. Okay, so he stuck.
Speaker 2: He's here, he's red.
Speaker 5: But the reads are.
Speaker 12: Saying, it's apparently the largest contract in franchise history after what they offered to Joey Vado about ten years ago. Ten years ago is a big difference from these contracts that these kids are getting nowadays.
Speaker 2: Kids, kids, these kids.
Speaker 5: I did feel old. I'm like all of these guys on our team.
Speaker 3: Talking about front runners. Bream is getting bundled up here to go. He's got his Ohio state buck guy's hat on.
Speaker 5: He looks like he's going to perfect North.
Speaker 2: The two front runners in here. He's got state in Miami.
Speaker 5: It's not that Gold out there.
Speaker 2: Still has the national championship.
Speaker 5: We never talked about Ohio stayed in here.
Speaker 12: It's because I'm not You're not getting paid by paid, don't even get paid to be in here.
Speaker 2: Probably not do I Hey, wait a minute.
Speaker 5: The heck is going on.
Speaker 12: Somebody who's definitely getting paid Trending on social media Joe Burrow because he posted on Twitter for the first time in two years, and people are like, Wow, your password still works.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, you know what That's I like that about Joe where he's like, I'm not leaning in this.
Speaker 12: He doesn't have to get on social, he doesn't have to do anything. But he got on Monday, and I guess this was in response to, like all the controversial calls and the Bills Uncle's game and Bears versus Rams.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you don't want to talk about that Bill's game. You're fine with Josh.
Speaker 12: Allen Stoun's new head coach, but what did you think about the teary eyed press thereafter?
Speaker 2: It makes me love Josh even more.
Speaker 5: That's how I feel too. My dad was texting me. He's like, I can't even bear to watch that.
Speaker 3: I know, grown man like you to, like he took it all, you know, and when they win, it's all over the team, and you know, when when they lose, it's all him.
Speaker 12: I feel like he thought a lot of that was on him, like it was that they lost.
Speaker 5: It's kind of all the turnovers.
Speaker 3: Was the pick and everything else. But I mean there was there James Cook, how'd that go?
Speaker 2: How many have taken off?
Speaker 5: Todd Fraser was back?
Speaker 2: And do you look like naked?
Speaker 5: Wouldn't you like to know?
Speaker 11: I'm asking about that because I think he and Todd Red Striped Poker Todd.
Speaker 12: Overall came in thirteenth. He placed thirteenth, and that's you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wrong with you.
Speaker 12: Joe Burrow tweeted the amount of people you put clothes back on the amount of people it's freezing in here, by the way, he said, the amount of people that don't understand what it catches in the rule book flabbergasted me. And it's not the officials that two plays yesterday were not difficult calls and they got them both right. So that's what Joe Burrow had tweeted on Monday, and people lost their minds over the tweet. I think a lot of people didn't even really look at the tweet. They were just looking at the fact that he was on social.
Speaker 3: I don't see much of their that the one of the Rams game, of the one in the England England game.
Speaker 2: It's like they close to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't get a chance to watch be similar, so.
Speaker 2: Who at least I mean they here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can go either way, right, I'll agree with Joe on that one, but the argument isn't what it was kid. It was a fact that why didn't you stop the game and look at it like the other two games did. They stopped and said, we need to make sure we got the right call.
Speaker 5: That was the problem, and that's why Joe was tweeting.
Speaker 3: That what he's not what he said though, he said, you need to see what it catches. Well, you got to take time to look and to make sure that's actually what.
Speaker 5: It is, right right, No, get it.
Speaker 12: I just didn't get a chance to watch him on Saturday, which it doesn't look like I've missed a whole lot because now it's Patriots Broncos, Rams at Seahawks.
Speaker 3: Yes, now we also have, you know, speaking of Joe burrowin coaching in Cincinnati, Zach Taylor last man standing in the AFC North the coaches. But what does that say about the Bengals now that all the teams in the AFC North have have new head coaches coming in in the process of different Bill's just fired and to getting new head coach Day Bills Ins fired Sean McDermott, who advanced in the divisionals and lost again. So he's gone to the playoff eight to nine years, two AFC championship games, never got the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: He's out in the Buffalo. What does that say about the Bengals.
Speaker 12: Different expectations. That's all there is to it. We are okay with just being there, just showing up and having good attendance. I mean, in that press conference, Duke Togin went on about how much he loves Zach Taylor, big Zach Taylor fan, and there's a guy. We're not going to make any staff changes whatsoever. Everyone's returning. We're good on our end. I guess six and eleven is good.
Speaker 2: When the Bengals win five games next year that one, then.
Speaker 5: They're gonna extend zapp tailor.
Speaker 12: Speaking of Sean McDermott, the Bills did post on social media last night a bunch of picks of Sean and they said, hey, thanks for everything.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 3: He wrapped his arms around the city like Exac did hear. I mean, people, I think as Zach, you know, holl go out. He's doing stuff that no other coach did, you know, handing game balls out and stuff like that.
Speaker 12: Then good will goes along with And that was cool a few years ago, but we got to get back to that. It's not cool when you're losing. None of that stuff is fun. Nothing is funny when you're six In all Yeah.
Speaker 2: With this offense, there's no excuse.
Speaker 5: No, well there isn't. You're paying these guys a ton of money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, next year Joe will be in everyone's gonna be a year older, and we know what that means in the NFL, he will almost be thirty.
Speaker 5: Yes, we have him till twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 2: What is that me?
Speaker 5: We've got him till twenty track.
Speaker 11: But again, a lot of things gonna happen between How so much could happen?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, there were rumors that Joe was going to bail on us.
Speaker 11: I mean, there's injuries, there's the rest of the team. There's there. Yeah, let's hope the injuries are.
Speaker 2: Done every year. That's a problem.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep.
Speaker 12: I'm also trending on social media. I guess the Chargers are.
Speaker 5: Planning to hire Mike.
Speaker 2: McCarthy. Yep, no, no, oh, Mike McDaniel, McDaniel. I saw that they're going to hire him. Yeah, next head coach.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was just coming in.
Speaker 2: So it's coming hot, hot, in.
Speaker 5: Heavy, coming in hot, coming in hot.
Speaker 2: Also they already have a coach.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, I'm like, we got new news, we got new news, and then the Teddy Bear Toss is this weekend for the Cincinnati Cyclones, their biggest game of the entire season on Saturday, especial Mattine for that.
Speaker 5: You know what, they're okay, they took two or three over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Were they in the standings.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure about that. I need to look at It means.
Speaker 2: Not very well because you would be wearing your Cyclones.
Speaker 5: Had right first or first or you're out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Teddy Bear tosses.
Speaker 5: One of their goalies just got called up yesterday. So yeah, after they.
Speaker 3: Lost on on Monday, the Teddy Bear toss is a big thing here.
Speaker 5: It's a huge thing.
Speaker 12: So yeah, you bring a new or gently used Teddy bear, toss it onto the isis and signed Police and Fire Department.
Speaker 5: We'll collect them and they go to kids and needs. So it's a great thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: They've got their big frozen five and ten k race on Saturday boarding and it will definitely be frozen outside.
Speaker 5: I think it's going to be a high of like ten some snow on the ground.
Speaker 12: Feather oh yeah yeah, so be ready to be frozen.
Speaker 3: You think someday somebody will come in and like just throw a live bear.
Speaker 12: Good luck getting through security. I can barely get through with my little zip block bag at Heritage Bank Center.
Speaker 5: If you can get through with a live bell.
Speaker 2: A bear, cub Hey, that one's moving.
Speaker 5: Damn some lucky good luck getting that onto.
Speaker 3: The lucky kid gets their live. Here you go, there's a live there's a real bear.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 12: You just ever know what toss all kind of crazy things. It doesn't have to necessarily be a teddy bear, can be any sort of But.
Speaker 3: So you work down there for long. What's the crazy thing you saw somebody throw on the eye.
Speaker 12: The giant corn dog from a couple of years ago, the corner dog was stuffed corn dog, and then that thing went viral and now they sell corn dogs at Heritage Bank.
Speaker 5: It was the greatest thing I've everd A couple of years ago.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it was about three years ago, and me and my Tiff and I were at that game.
Speaker 2: Was like mustard stained on the on the ice. You couldn't get it off.
Speaker 12: And everyone loved it so much that they decided to sell actual corn dogs that you can eat and little plushy corn dogs.
Speaker 5: I have one of those little plushes.
Speaker 2: Plush corn Your dog hasn't chewed it.
Speaker 5: Up yet she hasn't know. She's too old for that.
Speaker 1: Gotcha?
Speaker 5: Okay, the corn dogs though.
Speaker 3: Sarah Leason the Snort report this morning here on seven hundred, how many snorts steak?
Speaker 2: Because you're tired, I'm most sleeping.
Speaker 5: I was up way too late last night watching that game.
Speaker 2: And now you got to go to corporate meetings.
Speaker 11: Corporates got a four hour meeting ahead of what they possibly talk about for four hours.
Speaker 5: It's really credible. Will you do it every day?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: What can they talk about the the corporate overlords to you for four hours?
Speaker 5: This might be our last Snow report ever. Maybe they're firing all of us.
Speaker 3: It doesn't take four I'm going to fire. It doesn't take four hours. Again, if you're firing, takes four hours to get to the point.
Speaker 5: I think the last time I got fired, it was about four minutes. That's it.
Speaker 2: That's that. That's all takes.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: They're like, you got two weeks left here, so.
Speaker 2: Maybe two weeks they did. Damn.
Speaker 12: They said, we're cutting your job and you've got a couple of weeks left here with us, and then that's it. So they gave me a date and they were like, if you want to take the rest of the day, you can.
Speaker 2: Thanks, I'll take the rest of the day. It's five o'clock, all.
Speaker 5: Right, anyway. That's for another.
Speaker 2: That's everything.
Speaker 5: That's everything.
Speaker 3: You got a cupboard snort. The world of social media and sports colliding with Sarah Lease. Yes, tomorrow morning a kid Chris Show on one O two seven EBN. Willie is on the way coming up after news update. Scoonsland return tomorrow nine oh five. That's me here, seven hundred since now