Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a M five to seventy l A sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while.
Speaker 2: It's the longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 3: No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadas terrible person, He's the.
Speaker 3: Worst and Matt money Smith. The pipes, the pipes, the pipe. Don't miss an episode. We're with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow the Petros in Money Show wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros papade Gus and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 3: Here is. If today's show is an eighties band, it would be the Human League.
Speaker 2: Don't don't you want.
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: Don't I a working as a witch?
Speaker 3: Listen till.
Speaker 2: That much is true. Petros and Money Am five seventy l A Sports Life Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. We are your home with the back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers. If you are a broadcaster affiliated with that production, unless you were Tim Cats, you were a big winner today at the Southern California Sports Broadcasters Award luncheon. Joe Davis winner, Steven Nelson winner Joe Davis.
Speaker 3: Had two guys waiting outside to get his autograph and he never showed.
Speaker 2: Orl Hrscheizer winner winner not there, David Vasse winner. Only one guy affiliated with the Dodgers. Two guys affiliated with the Dodge.
Speaker 3: Couple of hard luck vagabonds, Right is that right? Leaving with their Bin'll.
Speaker 2: You get all dressed up and your best Sunday suit.
Speaker 3: With a little patch on the arm. Magabon. Gotta call the Rhode Island Rhode Island State tonight to make ends meet. That's right.
Speaker 2: Gotta patch that suit up, you know, if I don't show up like a vagabond with a patch on the elbow.
Speaker 3: I was working as a waitress in a hotel bar, that much is true. I was turning tricks off the corner right by lakeside. See the valet wouldn't even take the car.
Speaker 2: I was screwed. Yeah, just park it right over there, scream me number nominee Dodge your time A finalist, which was the award winner, coming up tonight.
Speaker 3: At seven o'clock. David Vassay, we'll be here. We'll have your dad and a live guy. Fun fact. Our normal accoutrement headed towards that time.
Speaker 2: I said I needed a title sponsor tomorrow, and he said, you got it. Harvey Heide's speech was great, South's still going. Of course, it's still going. He don't even ask me how much. You just said absolutely, alien fresh.
Speaker 3: Beef, Jurkey, clippers, wizards tomorrow. So we'll go from three to six thirty like we did yesterday.
Speaker 2: You know, when we first started this, we did not include the surrounding areas. But no we do, Ventura, Bakersfield, North County.
Speaker 3: It is time brought to you by Concordia Universe Masters and Come Behind program. It's a fact.
Speaker 2: What's a fact?
Speaker 3: Coach knows what he's doing. You should listen to him, especially if he went to the Masters in Coaching program at Concordia University CUI dot EEDU slash coaching.
Speaker 2: It's funny effect.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, we're three fun fact.
Speaker 2: I'll let that one slide.
Speaker 3: Hey, coach, heck coach, coach hide the word. And I said, no, I told your parents.
Speaker 2: That I was going to let them know if you were making yourself a better individual graduating with a degree, you skipped study hall, you slacked at practice today and now I'm calling your mother and you will tell her that while standing right there. And because I did that, he knew that I loved him. Your final hour.
Speaker 3: Fun fact, I was working as a waitress.
Speaker 2: The word broadcasting, oh is from the mid eighteenth century agricultural community. It is a term that means wide scattering of seeds. It did not become a term related to radio until the twentieth century, when the first radio broadcasts were created. Like with broadcast sewing, radio broadcasting also involves a large scattering of radio waves, songs, and entertainment, hence applying that farming agricultural term to the world of radio. I didn't see Sam Boney there. He was banging the drum slowly, banging the drums lowly.
Speaker 3: It's time for quick hits. F you kates quick hits.
Speaker 1: I make it quick, y'all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Chargers have parted ways with Greg Roman. Matt's lament was last hour. I thought I better get f and fired Man.
Speaker 3: Roman was hired by Harbaugh when he arrived in LA I had of the twenty twenty fourth season.
Speaker 2: Remember they had the dual RVs down in Huntington Beach, one right next to each other and.
Speaker 3: Now he blew up the other guy's RV also worked.
Speaker 2: That's how he informed that he was you know, my RV was right here?
Speaker 3: Have we blown up an RV down there by the water? Harball'sc with the Niners from twenty eleven to twenty fourteen. So Roman is the only OC Harbaugh has worked with in the NFL. Longtime partnership has come to an end, and Jim will now have to search for his replacement.
Speaker 2: I could see Mike McDaniel. I feel like him and coach Harve's are a little tiny guy. Yeah, very similar in the way they approach football. I just it's almost like looking in a mirror, you know when you see those guys, little guy with the capri pants and the.
Speaker 3: Drug dealer thing. Oh not the guy that was a Denver.
Speaker 2: No, the head coach of Miami.
Speaker 3: That guy.
Speaker 2: That guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I don't see what uh. For the fourth time since nineteen sixty nine, the Steelers got to look for a new coach and Chuck Knowle is not available. Long time go do you know? Mike Tomlin has agreed to step down hi his post in Pittsburgh, signaling an end of a nineteen year run in the Iron City as the longest tenured coach in the league. Some have gotten a hold of Dave Damashack Shipwrecked the Big Show. They are talking, oh shipwreck and Damasheta. It's the same guy. The Rams are getting ready for their divisional round matchup against the Bears on Sunday. Yeah there is that's in Chicago. The Rams are a three and a half point road favorite.
Speaker 2: Hey, they were four and a half points now, there's some money coming in on the Bears. It's top three and a half.
Speaker 3: Kl have been the Bears, Matt. The Lakers are in a tailspin. Tell you hate to see it. I think the Lakers can win it.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to Steve Hartman and duck it into the Southern California Sports Broadcasters Hall of Fame. Next year, when they print the program on pink colored construction paper, the pixelated image of him next to Mason and Ireland will look even better than did this year. You know, no wonder we'd never you invite us, you call us, you hound us, and you ask us to come. This is what you get this Lucas hurt.
Speaker 3: He had his left thigh wrapped in eyes. After the game, he said he abrogated, aggravated something in his thigh or groin areas aggravated, the aggregation between the thigh and the bruin. The Lakers are back at it tonight. They host the Atlanta Hawks.
Speaker 2: No rest for the weary.
Speaker 3: The Hawks come screeching in six and oh on the West Coast this year, and they're tired of the lies the Lakers. Lebron's bringing them down.
Speaker 2: Lebron's bringing them down. The vandalorian is bringing them down. Why do you call him that?
Speaker 3: It's all because of Lebron. This team was fine before Lebron showed up, and then everybody got ruined. And then the stupid podcast started with Rich Paul and he started planting the various seeds about guys that people love, like Austin Reeves. Oh yeah, that's bad.
Speaker 2: Well, guess what game Lebron's gonna have a patch on his uniform, a patch that's a Lebron patch. I'm wearing a patch every single game for the remainder of the season. Adam to honor me. Excuse me, yeah me, It's gonna honor me. And then that patch is gonna come off and I'm gonna send it to a trading card company, and they're gonna put it in a pack. And when you break packs or crack packs or whatever they call it, someone's gonna get lucky and they're gonna get my patch. And that's what I'm doing for the remainder of the season is I have sabotaged. I'm a saboteur. Insufferable. The Clippers are sixteen and twenty three. They're red hot though. Oh you saw Carlo today, Oh the bounce in his step. Glasses are all fogged up, see the bounce in his steps. They've won three in a row, ten in the last twelve. They house the Whizow. Yeah, that's a remix on that horn Man and Matt.
Speaker 3: The National Championship Game is set. Miami's taking on Indiana a week from tonight. Loo's your seven and a half point fame?
Speaker 2: Did you see the Elmo video? Michael Irvin.
Speaker 3: The rabbit, that's yeah, and then eventually commits suicide.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately. Let's swing a clip that though swinging from the fan. It's so good, blowing co friend's blowing coke off his face. Matt the portal closest today. It does three days for players to find a home, schools to bring in guys.
Speaker 3: He doesn't close today closest Friday, my.
Speaker 2: Bad, you know Friday today whatever. UCLA has been incredibly active in flux of money. Ben Boltch shared earlier today our guest from yesterday, seventeen point three million dollar check was stroked by longtime donor Lawrence Larry Lane.
Speaker 3: The old rugby player who could forget.
Speaker 2: It'll benefit the UCLA football and men's basketball programs. He is a former UCLA rugby player rugby player from the nineteen seventies. The football team's gonna get nine point six million, the men's basketball program seven point seven million. In the truncket check of Lane's forty million.
Speaker 3: What about the Valley of the Sun. Isn't this truck at check for UD?
Speaker 2: You ain't got no rugby player like Lawrence Larry Lane stroking checks. I played football with a guy named Lawrence Larry. That's a hell of a name, Lawrence. I love you, Lawrence, call me Larry. We called him al l. The donation to the athletic department is believed to be the biggest in more than a decade. So Bob Chesney mc cronin head coaches that inspire financial investment and We're proud to call them our friends.
Speaker 3: The Mick. The FBS coaches voted today unanimously to expand the eligibility for red shirt years from four games to nine.
Speaker 2: College went shambless to come back. I've red shirted ten years in a row. How dare you not get? How was a thousand yard rusher and then I immediately took my red shirt? I mean, uh, nine recommendation. It still has to pass. Now nine games the one Committee, Trinidad, We're gonna figure out how to get you back to Oxford. Hail or high water, young man. You deserve that seventh year. You deserve it, Matt. Free agency continues. Saint Louis Cardinals finally did it something David vass Say had shared as a possibility with us for years. Nolan Aeronado is out. He has been traded to the Diamondbacks in exchange for a minor league pitcher. The Cardinals will pick up thirty one million of the remaining forty two million owed to Aeronado, and free agency watch continues for Cody Bellinger and Kyle Tucker. David Vesse'll be along at seven pm to get you all that great information and.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back with Tom to LESCo, Stay with the Petros and Money Show, losers of yet another award. We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you.
Speaker 1: Make Am five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast a preset on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: App using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
Speaker 2: Petro Say and Monday A five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You're home of the back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers, in your home of the Southern California sports broadcasters talk show of the Year, Dodger Talk featuring Night Human Bean David Vassa tonight at seven pm. Joining us now on your Southern California Toyoa Dealers Celebrity Hotline. A man that knows what it's like to pull the trigger and have the trigger pulled in the crazy world of the NFL.
Speaker 3: Chrisy Wall in the NFL, riding the ups and downs, the hills and gullies on the train track. It is Tom Telesco, Serious XM now having a good time jumping up in the media. One day he may jump back in the fire, for he is a proven winner and a man that knows what he's doing when it comes to building a roster. But we have a lot to discuss, and he's an old friend, the great Tom to Leusco tortoes with Tom on a Tuesday once again on the Petrols and Money Show. What's cracking Tom? How are you?
Speaker 4: I love that intro that I've pulled the trigger. I've also had the trigger pulled on me. That was pretty good.
Speaker 3: Well, you know with strikes and gunns, you know, some day you eat the bear and some day the bear eats you. And speaking of that, so they say, yeah, everybody says.
Speaker 2: That some day you have bear for dinner, some days the bear has you for dinner.
Speaker 3: Tell us Tom, how surprised were you by the Chargers performance out in New England? Some people that I know thought they matched up pretty well.
Speaker 4: Turns out, oh, I was really surprised, and and obviously they were. Through this whole year on offense, they've had to deal with a lot of adversity. Like everybody knows. You know that they lost both their starting tackles, but they just weren't starting tackles. They're all pro football type tackles. Now, what I probably missed you know, I think having Omary and Hampton out with injury, I think that affected him a lot more than people talked about.
Speaker 3: He's a big part of.
Speaker 4: How they run that offense. But I went to the point how Justin just didn't play well, and you know it happens from time to time, doesn't have very often with him. But looking at that game, I didn't think Drake May played great either. I mean, Drake May took five sacks at interception, he put two balls in the ground, but he made a big throw to Hunter Henry, and he just consistently took checkdowns. And there's a big difference when May was checking it down to Remindre Stevenson and Treviaon Henderson versus Justin checking it down to Tyger Fisk. So just what they weren't going the same type of easy throws, the same type of chunkyards on an easy throw. So but I was a probably the defense played very well like the head all year and offensively, it just wasn't their day and it was it was hard to watch, but that's the nature of the playoffs. So these games they get bigger and bigger as you move, as you move through and you know, whatever your weakness is it tends to get magnified in the playoffs, and that's kind of what happened to the Chargers.
Speaker 2: How hard is it tom to try to figure out the answers to those questions in game? You know, you go into the half, it's six to three, and it felt like the Patriots figured it out right. They kind of, you know, got some easy buttons for Drake May, they found some explosives, and it felt like the Chargers were kind of trying to do the same things they were doing in the first half. Is it just too hard to get out of what you thought you were going to be able to do if you're not able to or what goes into trying to overcome some of those obstacles.
Speaker 4: No, I mean typically even before you get into the game, you have your game plan, but you also have some different plans D, B, C and D depending on what your opponent's going to do. And then once you're in game, you know halftime that you guys know halftimes are short. I mean it's a twelve minute halftime, and you know a couple of things are just getting to the locker room and getting back out again. So a lot of the adjustments will happen in between series. I mean they have they have the still photos or the video on the sideline on the iPads, and they can make adjustments in real time. But also the defense of making adjustments the same time. So it's a it's a cat and mouse game throughout the whole game, and it just seemed like that the Chargers they just couldn't get in front of it. And look, you know Greg, Greg Roman and you full disclosure, he was a college teammate of mine will we both started with the Carolina Panthers the same year in nineteen ninety five. And his work ethic, attention to detail is outstanding, it really is. I really I gave a lot of credit for what he was able to do this year with some of the issues that had on offense. Justin had a tremendous year until the last game. But such as life in the NFL, they the emotions of the past game, you know, kind of crop up and you move on.
Speaker 2: So you know, with that, as you know, kind of a pretext for this question what do you make of what? And he's a guy that you know, he was on your team. Robert Splane what he said after the game that. I don't know if you saw it, but he said he was talking to some Charger players after and they said they didn't know what the heck they were looking at, that they couldn't figure the coverages out. Is that something that sounds right to you? And if that's the case, kind of what would go into that happening in a game of that magnitude.
Speaker 4: Honestly, it kind of seems like your typical postgame banter that you know may have been taken a little bit out of context.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I haven't been able to see the coaches copy yet the All twenty two, so you know, on TV it's hard to see the routes develop and see where if there was separation, if there were players coming open. I just know from their offense, I mean, running back to average less than three ars per carry, and and for what with the Charges have done this year and how they run their offense, it's hard to get moving when when you can't get anything going in the run game. There were some clean pockets in the first half, but you know, Justin is normally decisive, but it just didn't seem like you had anywhere to get with the ball. And then the second half, it just seemed like the Patriots who didn't really I didn't think pressure well in the first half of the second half. They kind of saw blooding the water and they brought it from everywhere, and maybe they brought some plittes that the charger had not seen before at their opportune time, and you saw the result.
Speaker 3: The one and only Tom to leasco is our guest. You were in Las Vegas, you had a great draft in twenty twenty four, they've turned it over again at head coach. What do they need? Do they need a young guy? Did they need like an old angry guy like Kubiak? Do they need like one of these offensive guys that looks really quoft? You know, like, what what do you think?
Speaker 2: I like the hair?
Speaker 3: I'm at Lafleur, Yeah, Lafloor, you know, yeah, quaft, offensive guy.
Speaker 4: They just need some stability, that's the biggest thing. I thought that's what Peeka was going to bring them last year. But as you guys could see, like it just didn't click this year, and I could see you hate to keep making these moves.
Speaker 3: The one and done so you don't want to see that.
Speaker 4: But I think everyone can see it. Just didn't click this year. So at this point, but they have the first pick in the draft, they're going to take a quarterback, so they're finally going to have a quarterback to build around, which they haven't had really since Derek Carr. So they have that piece and now it's just about getting some stability at the top from the head coach. And it doesn't matter if it's offense, defense or special teams to me, because there are some really good resources there both stadium wise, practice facility, incredible fan base, mean worldwide fan base, and there's a lot of good people in the building. I mean I know it firsthand because you're only as good as the people you work with. So there's support staffs with training and video and communications and equipment scouting. They're excellent. Just have to find that stability at the top, and I think they'll go through the I bet they'll be much more in the same page this year they kind of went through last year. I've been a first time GM. Sometimes things are moving real fast and you feel like you have to get a head coach hired as quickly as possible because you need to get all the assistants hired, and you feel like the seats are gonna fill. But if you take your time, go through your process what they're doing right now, you get the right person the top and hopefully just have the stability there.
Speaker 2: So you've you know, you know what it looks like at the top of the draft when it's a quarterback draft and it's Joe Burrow and Tua and Justin Herbert or you know, some years it's Christian Ponder and you know, what do you make of this year they have the number one pick. I know you haven't probably had a chance to dig too deep into Fernando Mendoz or Dante more if he decides to come out, But what do you make of their options at that position? And what kind of quarterback draft we have coming up here in a couple months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's light. I mean you basically mentioned the two guys would be the top for me. You know, Ty Simpson I think has some potential. I wouldn't see him up there with those two guys yet, But yeah, I mean the quarterback position, if you need a quarterback, that's why they get pushed up in the draft because if you don't draft one, very rarely is the starter come out and fregency that is a winning starter that you can actually acquire, so you're an a half to draft them, So yes, they do get a little bit pushed up. I think Mendoza is definitely an NFL starter. I mean, as everyone saw, he looked great the other night, made some just big time accuracy pinpoint throws and has all the intelligibles you're looking for. And I think Dante Moore is really talented. But you also saw the difference between Mendoza being a three year starter essentially and Dante Moore being a one year starter and being nineteen years old, and he has an incredible skill, but you see that you may need a little bit more time to develop. So we'll see if he stays in school, if he declares for the draft. But those guys are really, you know, at the top of the draft, and then it's very thin after that, so and there's gonna be more teams that need quarterbacks, and they are actually quarterbacks available, so after the first pick, you know the who the next quarterback is. I would expect a lot of activity for teams to try and trade up and get somebody more.
Speaker 3: Aging like the Cheese and the Cheese It commercials for Dante More. Our friend Tom tellasco joins us. You know, the NFL as old, Jerry Glanville said, stood for not for long, but for some guys, they're in the same spot for a long time. You knew something about longevity with the Chargers, Mike Tomlin Jim John Harbaugh, of course now both available. Tomlin stepped down to after nineteen years. Harball was in Baltimore for eighteen. How hard is it for that guy to get a job somewhere else after he's known something so stable for so long in a league that's really not that way, No, not at all.
Speaker 4: I mean really, for both of them, it's an end of an era, and not just for Pittsburgh and for Baltimore, but just for head coaching in general, because I don't think we're going to ever see another head coach spend, you know, nineteen eighteen straight years with the same team.
Speaker 3: As good as Sean McVay is.
Speaker 4: You know, at some point, you know you kind of need a reset or recharge. The coaching is, I mean, it's a high pressurized business. Even when you're winning at a consistent level. You know, mc va could coach forever, but the stay in nineteen years with one team the way Tomlin did, I just think it's really hard to do it. I don't think we're gonna see that ever again. So but with those two guys went all the great coaches with uh puting Andy Reid and McVeigh, Tomlin Harbaugh. Like their teams, they always had an identity, and that's the number one thing you have to establish. So we've got two big time jobs open. You know, Pittsburgh obviously that job doesn't come open very often. I'm kind of curious what route they go. You know, Mike McCarthy is mister Pittsburgh. I'd be really interesting guy there. And but you know, even though they haven't done a lot of head coach searches, they typically hire young assistants from other teams, like I mean essentially just Chuck no, Bill Kawer and Mike Tomlin. So all three of those guys were coordinators and a younger coaches when they were with their prior teams. So we'll see which direct they go. But having nine spots right now in the NFL, it's just incredible to have this many opening head coaching jobs available. Or see what these play out.
Speaker 2: Last thing for you, Tom, the Rams, they faced down potential real ugly exit from the postseason, being a double digit favorite and maybe losing to Carolina. Matthew Stafford Rallies gets the win in your experience, like how I don't want to say valuable, but is there something to that when in an early round you're able to kind of overcome what looks to be an obstacle that really could have crushed what looks to be a promising path for them to get back to the super Bowl. And when you look at who's left, kind of what do you make of who's in front of them?
Speaker 4: I totally saw that against Carolina. I mean that it was a great environment in Carolina. It hadn't been in the playoffs in a long time.
Speaker 3: The stadium was loud.
Speaker 4: Carolina really has done a lot with a little there. Really impressed with Dave Canals and what he's done with the Panthers. But just way you said, I really felt like the Rams, having a veteran head coach, a veteran quarterback, really well coached defense. They just handled the situation. That handled it appropriately and it wasn't easy because they still have that you know, that's special teams concerned. The margins gets so thin in the playoffs and the farther advance they get thinner and thinner. So but they overcame it. And a lot of it's because of the quarterback and the head coach. But I like their chances this year. I mean not, you know, even taking Stafford on of it. I mean, they've got two running backs like a two headed monster with White with Williams a Korum. I love how they use Pooka Nakua in the running game, almost like the Delaware wing t wing back, so they could use them like that. And then obviously he's getting ten eleven twelve balls a game, and between Devonte Adams and then the two tight ends, they have a lot of different ways to go on offense. And then I love Chris Shula and what they're doing on defense. So to me, they're they're they're definitely I have a chance to win a championship with this team. But yeah, they had to get through that first game, but I think their experience really pulled them through.
Speaker 3: The one and only Tom to LESCo, our friend. You can listen to them on Serious XM NFL Radio for the NFL is this area of expertise. That and of course Corona del mar C Kings Football. We appreciate your tom and have a wonderful.
Speaker 4: Night anytime, guys, Let's talk soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Yes, sir, we will be right back with mar petros and money. We've got some text usos coming up there. Well wrap it up before Dodger Talk talking about.
Speaker 1: To human.
Speaker 3: Hello, PMS listener.
Speaker 1: Did you know Am five seventy LA Sports has a wide range of LA Sports podcasts.
Speaker 3: There's Rogan and Rodney. That one is my favorite, Dodger Talk with David Vasse, the Dodger Podcast of record, Clipper Talk without a Musk, follow us all and many more.
Speaker 1: Just go to AM five to seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: It's a two and a mono Tuesday tu and Bono. David Vsse won the talk show of the Year at the Southern California Sports Broadcasters Award at Lakeside. Like a human pin hours ago. David Vsse went up there like a human being that accepted his wart. It's a great moment in sports history.
Speaker 2: We are on the way, were not on the freeway of life. Oh stop, and there are many exits.
Speaker 3: We are live until seven. We're almost done.
Speaker 2: And I got off at that exit, and there were people waiting to show me the way.
Speaker 3: Like we still act like the twenty year old people in the audience, and it's wrongs.
Speaker 2: But that's because no one young has coming behind.
Speaker 3: That's not true.
Speaker 2: Carlo was that was it?
Speaker 3: What about Chris Harry, he's a young guy.
Speaker 2: Saw him he is, but he was not nominated for anything. I think he was there to sport as bosson Hill.
Speaker 3: I saw it. I saw Jim, he saw brother Jim.
Speaker 2: He's a little longer the time I would say we were still in the ninetieth percentile of youth. I still believe, well, we act old as we are, we act like we sure do.
Speaker 3: Dodger Talk coming up with the talk show host of the Year David Fass and he's going to deliver that show and relate with people like a human being. And don't forget to podcast our show on the iHeartRadio app for your smartphone, because we are your home the back to back World Series champion Dodgers. But Tim Kates is not able to ride that freedom train no to get an award.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, the train did not stop at his station, did not just drove right straight. Toss had delivered the Award to a real human being. Yes, all right, Matt, your beautiful speech from Stephen Nelson thanking Dwayne and Colin and acknowledging tc. You know that I am incredibly fortunate and lucky. I believe he called it one hundred and ten percent luck to be able to call these Dodger game. He really handled them that absolutely, like a true professional.
Speaker 3: From back to back to back against the wall too, back to back, like a human being. Why do you have bed Matt celebrating this guy. We've done it before and it's well, it's an interesting story. Horatio Alger from Chelsea, mass Matt, you were just in Massachusetts. A forgettable trip for you to New England.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you that was except the civil disobedience at the State House on Sunday morning. You know that made it worth it.
Speaker 3: Close to the New England Puritan aristocracy. One hundred and ninety three years old today, coming up in the nineteenth century, Horatio Alger was a descendant of minute men and a guy at the Constitutional Convention. It's a difficult boy with asthma. I can relate with that. That's where my relation to him stops. He went to Harvard thrived started writing, became a Unitarian pastor just like his father as well, but he was kicked out for reports that he was getting too familiar with the young people, the boys. He did admit that he had been imprudent with the boys, and his father got involved. His father promised that his son would never seek a church post ever again, and the church said, okay, we'll leave him alone. We won't tarn featherhum or, stone him to death or whatever it is we do bad thing to pediasses. So he was off to New York. There he did what Youwett would do.
Speaker 2: If you were a pediaste.
Speaker 3: He studied street boys. Ah yeah, and he wrote the Rags to Richest masterpiece about a poor boot black and his rise to middle class responsibility. That book's name Ragged Dick. Excuse it's not funny.
Speaker 2: Next time I go on one of these podcasts that asks you ask you your favorite books to a ragged.
Speaker 3: Dick by Peter Ass Horatio.
Speaker 2: Oucher recommend Ragged Dick.
Speaker 3: Many many books followed Matt. Most of his works after that followed the same exact pattern. Honest, hard working boy, a noble stranger, a snob, and an evil, greedy squire many titles for you, Matt if you want to play a little album, I mean, if.
Speaker 2: You already wasted.
Speaker 3: Ragged Dick, I told you the same theme in every book, and this guy wrote so many. But we've done this before, but I never looked into.
Speaker 2: Like maybe they should have let him time to the post.
Speaker 3: His gigantic bibliography is unbelievable. Jed the Poorhouse Boy. I think this one we can all relate with. The disagreeable woman.
Speaker 2: No, not me, not in my life.
Speaker 3: Like a human being. Ad the street boy out West.
Speaker 2: That's the David Basset story. And then I got off the freeway at another exit.
Speaker 3: Tattered Tom, the story of a street Arab luck and pluck.
Speaker 2: He has gone and I have sent him? What misdirection? The ragged How's the ragged Dick in me?
Speaker 3: He was gay? He died from asthma at his sister's house in eighteen ninety nine at the age of sixty seven. His books have come out again in twenty fifteen because being a better ass. I guess it's as bad as he's.
Speaker 2: A different time. Ragged twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: Ragged Ditch Chickup return Up the Day.
Speaker 2: Uh, you're a live guy, really just an opportunity to want to play one of our all time favorite songs. Happy Birthday to Wayne Michael Coin, one of the Wayne Coin hit the post. There Oh, one of the most brilliant, creative, visionary musicians you could ever come across. If you have not been to a flaming lip show, to yourself the favor and get to one. It is different, put on charge of power, no doubt, different than anything you've ever seen. He is sixty five today, so I don't know how much longer he's gonna be doing it. The music is incredible, the show is incomparable. Wayne is freaking cool man born, real human being. He's a real born in Pittsburgh, raised in Oklahoma City. Loves his hometown so much that he bought a house in one of the most rundown areas of town, then bought another, and another, and another and here. Thirty years later, he essentially created the Oklahoma City Arts District. While he was in high school, he worked at Long John Silvers all right, p Long John Silvers fast food fish store was robbed.
Speaker 3: Like when they had like a moat that you had to walk over the bridge to get into the store.
Speaker 2: You might die or you might get hushpuppies. Coin was held at gunpoint. He was told he was going to be killed if someone didn't open the safe. Nobody dare knew how to open the safe at Long Johns at Long John Silvers. Thankfully, the robbers fled, had an epiphany, decided to chase his dreams, started a band with his brother. Wayne was on guitar, brother lead vocals. They started Flaming Lips. Mark left, Wayne took over as frontman. He is their main songwriter. The name Origin is as good as anything you've ever heard. It was a reference to a high school rumor they remembered and they will always remember, about a classmate getting genital herpes after she had a dude performing oral exercises down on her while he had active cold source and Wayne said quote one night over a pack of Schlitz and some left handed cigarettes. We remembered and joked how he used to say they both had Flaming Lips and it just stuck. First release here it is came out in eighty six, but I know the two albums independently over the next couple of years. Nineteen ninety, Warner Brothers had an A and R guy at the American Legion Hall in Norman, Oklahoma. They almost burned the place down with their pyrotechnics. They were signed immediately. First major label released ninety one ninety three transmissions from the satellite heart Had She Don't Use Jelly? Played it on K Rock, took off and made their way through the late night shows. The TV circuit opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but, of course, being Wayne and the Flaming Lips, they put out two experimental, ethereal sounding albums that did not match up to the Kitchie She Don't Use Jelly. So about a half decade of dormancy after their big hit until Soft Bullets went away for five years in ninety nine, Had Do You Realize?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 2: Might have been the best song of the year, best album of the year. Very pet soundsey is what it was being compared to.
Speaker 3: I far in California.
Speaker 2: Their show at south By Southwest was the stuff of legend. I happened to be there. They passed out headphones to everybody and you watched their concert with headphones on. It was wild man, but a time to be in love.
Speaker 3: Wow. I was somewhere today too. Okay, right, Hey, we're gonna be talking about that for years as well. We are.
Speaker 2: They won a Grammy for this What Yoshimi. It's about a freedom train. This song was adapted the Mute. The album was adapted into a musical. They had put out six albums since most recent American Head In twenty twenty. They did their Yoshimi Battles Topink Robots album tour last year, playing at front to back. He is sixty five, hopefully still touring. He has two little boys, a five year old and a three year old. Happy sixty fifth, Wayne Qui coming up next, Dodg a real human being. He treats others like human.
Speaker 3: Being guaranteed, Human guaranteed. David Vasse coming up next tomorrow will be on from three to six thirty before the Clippers take on to win. Clippers are hot Man, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Earlier Man at a bounce in his stuff.
Speaker 3: You look great.
Speaker 2: Good night sa