Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a M five seventy l A Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while.
Speaker 2: It's the longest running afternoon sports show in the city. No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papada.
Speaker 2: Gus terrible person, He's the worst, and Matt money Smith the pipes, the pipes, the pipe. Don't miss an episode. We're with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow the petros In Money Show wherever you get your podcasts. Now Here's Petros Papadae Gusts and Matt money Smith and me.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah you today, small price, what you want? You asked for too much?
Speaker 3: He Shocial Money five seventy l A Sports Live everywhere on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 2: Do we uh give them away?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Have the people waited long enough? Well, I mean we didn't do something for the early people today, but we did it the other day.
Speaker 2: Pull off, Matt. Yeah, you want to go see.
Speaker 3: The Castro Rising Stars game, Well, guess what we've got your ticket? Edgecomb, DJ Edgecombe, Cooper flag con Canipple all those guys are gonna be out there and you're gonna see them at the end to at Dome. Caller ten right now eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. The NBA All Star twenty twenty six taken over La all weekend long at the home of the Clippers. We are your home at the Clippers as well, not on our home, but it will be at their home. The INTWO at Dome, All Star Break Castro Rising Stars, All Star, Celebrity Game, Ruffles, NBA Crossover, NBA HBCU Classical. I think you're going to that onep It is presented by AT and T four Events one at the Coops Weekend. Get your tickets now at NBA events dot com. But Caller ten eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy you'll be going to Astrol Rising Star.
Speaker 5: If I was going to one, it would be the one to where I could heckle the Sharoon Balloon.
Speaker 3: Ah Celebrity All Star Sharoon. But I am under the HBCU as well. You call the game justice for Benji the Tuskegee coach. I believe he got his justice correct.
Speaker 5: Well, he was handcuffed, But where's the apology from Morehouse it's time for the final our fun facts.
Speaker 2: In effect, it's yeah, We're three.
Speaker 5: Brought to you by Concordia University Masters in Coaching and Administration Program at Concordia University, Irvine. It's a fact we had coach Hami Ortiz on earlier this week, and it's a fact that he coached Sam Darnell. You want to coach a great guy like that, you better go to the Masters in Coaching UH program and get it figured out at CUI dot eedu slash Coaching.
Speaker 2: That Cui dot eed u slash coaching. Did you know?
Speaker 3: The flat topped three is known as an edge, like the haircut, like the Yeah, it's like, are a number three with a flat top like military grade flat top. The phonetic symbol edge is for the tailed Z like beige vision pleasure. It was introduced in the mid eighteen hundreds as a phonetic symbol, but there was a push in the age of forgeries to make the edge the standard form of a three, so you could not turn it into an eight. And there was a great push and it stuck for like three years. Bit ironic that it was about three years, but ultimately the standard round topped bulbousy headed three was able to hold off the flat top and it's much more determined militaristic style.
Speaker 5: So not a flat top three, the haircut the actual number three in its shape on a typing city exactly right, Because I was going to say, if the flat top three is what a guy with a flattop is, then the flumehead eight is what you got called.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's time to the quick hits. Everybody, come to the MS quick hits. I'll make it quick, y'all.
Speaker 4: Due.
Speaker 5: Yeah, camel Back ranch going now, but really gets going on Friday.
Speaker 2: Pitchers and catchers.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know is Otani's there, so you know, seems like it's really going on. Is gone Agains.
Speaker 5: Dodgers made a move today. They gave Max Muntsy a one year deal ten million guarantees that includes a seven million dollar salary for twenty twenty seven, ten million dollar team option, three million dollars buyout for twenty twenty eight months. He was headed into the final year of his current deal before signing the extension. He's thirty five, and he holds the postseason franchise record with sixteen play off homers forty six scored runs in October.
Speaker 3: Spring Chicken, thirty five walks around like he's fifteen man.
Speaker 5: He's looked thirty five for fifteen years. The Dodgers also resigned Key k Hernandez to a one year deal he told Dave this much at the polo event for four and a half million dollars. Here's a message from the keystar.
Speaker 6: What of Dodger fans playing simple? I'm back again. Sorry it took so long. That wasn't up to me, Andrew, But yeah, there's no other place I would rather be than here. So let's go for three in a row.
Speaker 4: Andrews True, Andrew Maaigo.
Speaker 5: Andrew Gosha. Dodgers also traded Anthony Banda former Petros and money guests to the Minnesota Twins, where you can hang out with James Outman in exchange for international pool money.
Speaker 2: What'd you get in return? Chlorine and a pump.
Speaker 3: I got this sweet eight foot in ground with pebble pack and a saltwater system.
Speaker 5: They sent the net with it grew. The Dodgers can use that to sign an international guy wild story from the Philadelphia Phillies. They released outfielder Nick Castanos. Today, Castanos is still O twenty million.
Speaker 2: Hey, you're a real jerk, Nick.
Speaker 5: He's going into the final season of a five year, one hundred million dollar contract. The Phillies released Castanos and then revealed the reason they're still mad at him, because he got bench last season after bringing beer into the dugout during the.
Speaker 2: Game Cold one, Cold One.
Speaker 5: Castanos's person a handwritten note on social media explaining the incident that preceded his benching. He said he brought beer into the dugout after being taken out of a game and complaining to Thompson about team rules. He said teammates took the beer away before he drank.
Speaker 3: Any Now, I did hear that he removed one of the beers from the six pack and then put his finger through the empty loop and just kind of walked in, swinging those five beers, just kind of showing it off, bringing it to, singing.
Speaker 2: It to hears too. Good friends, tonight is kind of special. The beer will pup friends tonight is kind of special, pitched.
Speaker 5: I'm not common maths, so tonight to give me my twenty mil.
Speaker 2: Give me my twenty mil. Now that would be further Norths.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have to refresh your career, hey, Harps. Castianos just came in with some beers. What should we do about it?
Speaker 2: Climb enough. It's a clown question, Bro, That's a clown question.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 5: The Lakers are thirty two and twenty one of their host the MAVs tonight in the final game before they all start night. The Lakers current hold the sixth seed in the West, but Lebron it's not good enough for him. Bath game back on Minnesota for the fifth seed, one game ahead of Phone X for the seventh seed, and the play in turning Luka Doncic, who looks about as old as Max Muntzy hamstring strain four straight game out, hopes to be able to make an appearance in Sunday's All Star Game for.
Speaker 2: The World Team.
Speaker 3: You remember the offseason diet Revenge Tour Body by Jake.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Do you like the way you feel? You ask yourself, look in the mirror. Do you like the way you write?
Speaker 5: MAVs star Cooper Flag's got a mid foot strain and he's out tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, son of a bitch. I was gonna go see him in the Castro Rising. Shit, we just promoted that exactly. Yeah, I didn't realize that now it's just canipple. Some say that Cooper's waving the white flag. The Clippers go to the All Star break on a winning note. Fully functional employee Adham is still x haaling five win over the Rockets. Yeah, Kawhi Leonard laughing all the way to the game winner. Slippers are twenty six and twenty eight, sitting in the ninth seed on the basically five hundred. Basically, you know, one of those games goes the other way and they're at five hundred at the break instead of twenty six and twenty eight, twenty seven and twenty seven. I don't know, you know, I just kind of put that together. So ye're right on a technicality, you were wrong.
Speaker 2: You're right, but you were wrong. But I mean, just one game is different, Just one single game. Matherin to throw it in six point nine to play. The Clippers find Kawhi looking to be the hero tonight.
Speaker 3: Leonard down the left, Downy spins in the freako line, right jumper for.
Speaker 2: The lead, puts it in went two seconds left. Leonard is lethal.
Speaker 3: Here in Houston and the Clippers up for one O four one O two, two seconds to play.
Speaker 2: How about that, Kevin, Durant. How you like that? Uh, send goon? How you like that?
Speaker 4: Take that?
Speaker 2: Send gooon?
Speaker 4: You like that?
Speaker 5: We had this story earlier because of what Joe Judge said, but we would have to educate.
Speaker 7: You have this baby in the season that father has to play good football.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: It's a day by day production business. He has to be great to perform and go out there and play. And what I say that is you need to let him sleep. He needs to be another room detached. You have to explain to the mother, like, hey, listen, he ain't waking up for him midnight feedings every season.
Speaker 3: He's full metal jacket.
Speaker 5: You do whatever you want with us. Trinidad Chambliss, the quarterback at Ole Miss, got his extra year of eligibility to run for the Revs one more time in twenty twenty six. So that's a big story in college football. The various F one cars are being unveiled one by one, the liveries and such. We saw the Cadillac one on Super Bowl Sunday.
Speaker 4: It look great.
Speaker 5: Red Bulls showed off their twenty twenty six cars at the un four time champion Max for Stopping, who said, basically, this was my idea was very exciting.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, this is something that I asked for already for a while, so when it's finally arrived, I'm very happy to see. Yeah, it looks a lot more fresh and it's a really cool livery It's of course still crazy to think about it that, you know, Red Bull had the idea, of course making their own engine and now basically almost being able to drive it. Yeah, we're all very excited. We know it's a tough project, but we're all very excited.
Speaker 2: To get on the way.
Speaker 5: Now things change, though, after he drove the new Red Bull, we're stopping said just a piece of man. Basically, the new generation of cars are anti racing, not fun to drive, comparing them to the all electric Series Formula E but on steroids.
Speaker 2: Wish I am not, by the way, sweeping regulation.
Speaker 5: Change for twenty twenty six has introduced a new era of power units that target a near fifty to fifty split between combustion.
Speaker 2: Power and battery power.
Speaker 5: As a result as an added emphasis on making the electrical energy available, resulting in drivers focusing on recharging the batteries underbreaking and in corners, while tactical deployment of the energy is expected to be a.
Speaker 2: Key factor in races.
Speaker 3: Kind of stole it a little bit from IndyCar, where they have the push to pass and you have to budget. You're push to pass throughout the course of the race, and it puts a little more strategicy anti racing in the UH in the driver's hands. I would say too, of all the liveries, as Max called them, I think Audis that's the number one. As much as we like the Cadillac and want to puff the chest out for the American brand out, he's the one that knocked it out of the.
Speaker 2: Park this year. I like the pink one. Whoever that is still because that dude came back to run it.
Speaker 5: Men's hockey beat Lafta five Latvia, Wear it Latvia, you idiots. Latvia went down five to one. Canada shut out Checkshia. Where so Chechnya Chechnya five to nothing in men's hockey? What about Chloe Kimpie That Miles Garrett's girl, Chloe kim went for the Olympics first snowboarding three pete but takes home silver. There's exactly one snowboarder in Olympic history with three gold medals. Sean White, Oh, the Flying Tomato. You know, that's what they call him because he's got red hair. It's flying Tomato.
Speaker 2: It's what he does.
Speaker 5: King Kim had a chance to join him in that club on Thursday, attempting the Olympics first three peat in snowboard halfpipe, but lost out on to the Republic of Korea's seventy year old Gion Choi seventeen year old.
Speaker 2: She was seventy. That'd be awesome.
Speaker 5: We'll be back with more. Petro said Money James Worthy. Our dear friend is gonna join us. Petros Papadakis, that money Spire. This is Petro Send Money on demand me.
Speaker 3: Tros Money Sports. We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. We've had them all week and we'll have them again today. The All Star Break has a ride for the Clippers. Lakers got one more game tonight, but we have the twenty twenty six NBA All Star Game taking over Los Angeles all weekend long. We don't want you to miss all the action. Castro Rising Stars, Ruffles, All Stars, Celebrity Game, NBA Crossover, NBA HBCU Classic presented by AT and T four Events, when Epic Hoops Weekend happening at the Form and the intwo at Dome. You can get your tickets at NBA events dot com. Between now and the end of the show, we will give away a pair of tickets to the Castro Rising Stars game. That is the first and second year players taken on one another.
Speaker 5: We gave that away yesterday, or we're giving that away today.
Speaker 3: Today, today, because the game is tomorrow, so we won't give it away tomorrow. That's the That's the as far as I can tell. All Right, Matt joining us right now courtesy of your Southern California Ford Dealers does it every single week, and we certainly appreciate that. James Worthy brought to you by the twenty twenty six Ford f one fifty from California's best selling truck brand.
Speaker 2: It is time to see Ford in a new life.
Speaker 5: It is the one and only James Worthy getting ready for the All Star Break. Unless there's some money to be made here in LA, we'll probably be taking a vacation.
Speaker 2: As we've discussed in the past.
Speaker 4: With it.
Speaker 5: A Hall of Famer, a champion and an Emmy Award winner, and a champion in college when it was college. I'm a great James Worthy on the Petterson Money Show.
Speaker 2: What's cracked? James?
Speaker 4: How are you? Hey?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: This one more game before All Star weekend. I am sticking around this weekend, you know, as a ambassador to the city of Los Angeles for all the NBA fans that will becoming see the USA take on the world.
Speaker 2: Which is better than, I guess than what we've had.
Speaker 5: But before we get into that, James, were you ever in a guy did you guys ever pull all five starters like Kareem, you Byron, Magic ac like everybody sat for has that?
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen that before? You know this modern time?
Speaker 5: Nah?
Speaker 4: Man, We we weren't setting players in our era. I mean, uh, even if we clenched you know, our playoff spot. Usually when we got the number one spot, you know, somewhere around March April. Uh, Kareem would get some rest for sure, maybe not practice, but he would still play the games. We definitely would give Magic some rests, you know. But no, we didn't. We didn't. We didn't pull all the guys out for for a game. We always thought that the more you played and the more you got continuity together, it was always, you know, always better regardless if you were up, you know, thirty points or if you're playing a lesser team. We always felt like that time on the floor was critical.
Speaker 3: You were a perennial All Star in your day, James, What was like, did you have an idea of what you wanted to say to the first time All Stars? Did you talk with them? Did you mentor them? Did you give them a hard time? Was there like rookie hazing for the first time All Stars?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What was it like? What's it like in the All Star locker room?
Speaker 4: Yeah, something I was going to say, you know, not any premature hazing or anything like that. You usually don't see the guys until you get on that bus for practice. For instance, my last All Star game was in Miami. We had Don Nelson was our coach, and you know he knew that, you know, he was playing the Lakers. You know that that after the All Star break, So man, he practiced us real hard man me magical, Kareem Man. We were looking on the sideline and all his players were over there resting, mulling, you know, Joe barrit Care. He was just killing us.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you get that kind of hazing, and then when you get in the locker room, anything goes Man. You know, it's guys you've been playing against h you might you might tease somebody about their suit or anything. Yeah, it was always fun in the locker room.
Speaker 3: So what do they You mentioned you're an ambassador, Like what do they have? Are you out there on Friday night with the first and second your players? Are you hackling the celebrities? Are you judging the slam Dunk contest?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 4: What is corporate NBA stuff? Like Kia Automobile. I'm doing some stuff for New Balance is going to be in town this weekend. You know, I was the first one to wear that shoe. A lot of the corporate entities that deal with the NBA are going to be here, and I'm going to be, you know, making some appearances on their behalf and also on Saturday. You know, I won't be judging anything, but I'll be at the Saturday events and also the Sunday game.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, make some money. They all start breakthche Yeah.
Speaker 5: Matt the Great James Worthy joining us right now on the Petros and Money Show, and we everybody wants to see Worthy and he deserves to be compensated for it. He's always wonderful with the people. There's no doubt about it. So you're going to be out there. Do you think this could I mean, obviously the thing is dissipated as far as the competition goes, and there's all kinds of different reasons as to why. But do you think the USA versus the world is a good idea? And then it'll be good?
Speaker 4: This is going to bring back some competition because everybody all were he assumes or knows that that. I mean, our top players are from where they're they're they're not Americans, right, So I think I think it's you know, the you know America you know, has to you know, prove that you know that it was you know, our game, and you know we've always you know, dominated it. But I think in the last ten years or so, there's been a sudden change in you know, dominant players, you know, different countries. So I think this year will be the most exciting one that we've seen in ten twelve years.
Speaker 3: I mean, you just said it, James, it's US versus the world. And I think when you look at the world roster, I mean, if everybody's playing, they're probably the favorites, right.
Speaker 2: The top.
Speaker 4: I mean you look you name the top five top ten players uh in the NBA, and you know you start with Yoke. You can start with whoever you want to start with. And you know you're gonna you're gonna get Luca, You're gonna get Yokies, You're gonna get the Shade from Canada. You know you're you're gonna get the guys from France. So yeah, I mean that that says a lot about how the game has evolved. But I also think it has a little bit to do about you know, guys not you know, staying in college long enough to you know, to let that college coach rip that little ego out of your chest, get some discipline, get some fundamentals. You got guys that are taking four or five steps, you know, to get you know, it's like they're carrying the ball. I mean I can name a lot of stuff that I see the lack of defensive principles. So yeah, I mean Europe has I remember going to Australia back in ninety six. Linda Rambis took us over there, Me, Kirk Moses, Lalone, Terry Tiger. We were trying to help the Australian team get ready for the ninety six Olympics, and you could tell back even back then that they were they were really working hard on the fundamentals of the game, you know, and then all the euro step and the three point all that stuff came later. But they've caught up. And if we don't watch out, they're gonna, you know, they're gonna have a lot to say about what's happening in the NBA.
Speaker 5: You might have to wrap yourself in the flag and take over for the USA if things get it crazy out there.
Speaker 2: James the Great Chambers.
Speaker 4: I have to do, man, whatever I have to do.
Speaker 5: Captain America. James Worthy joining us right now. I know he didn't feel too bad that the Duke guys got punched when they rushed the floor at Chapel Hill the other day North Carolina with the big win over Duke. But James, when it comes to the Lakers at the All Star Break, you know, Lebron James said it after they lost to OKC that they're not a championship team, and oksee is I'm not really sure if that's a message or just a just a moment of truth or whatever it is. But what is the state of the Lakers here at the proverbial halfway point.
Speaker 4: I think Lebron hit it right on the head. You know, they're not a championship team. Oklahoma is even without some players. Their system is such that you can just plug in a reserve or you know, another player and the system still works. That's championship quality right there. Uh, the Lakers, they can get there. I mean, I don't use any excuses, but I'm waiting for the day when everybody is on the floor at the same time, our big three, you know, Luca, Lebron, and Austin and then we have everybody else healthy, a healthy bench, and hopefully we can get that after the All Star break, because right now, I think if you look at it pre All Star break, is probably disappointing that you know, you didn't take care of a couple of games and you did have some injuries, but you still had opportunity to kind of cares some games and it didn't happen. So we're still seeking that it's there. Trust me, it's there, especially when Ayton is playing efficiently and really is you know, our bench and we got two defensive guys, Marcus Smart and van Nevelt. When they're you know, on the floor defending I think, you know, this team is a threat. I don't say there like the top three, but they could be in the West.
Speaker 3: I felt like we would always James say, oh, you want to get one of those top four seeds. Just get that first home series and then afterwards you're fine. But that was always kind of the goal, right, maybe try to win the division or get a top four seed. Now is it adjusted to just be healthy and stay out of the play in everything else you're fine, be healthy, stay out of that.
Speaker 2: Is that kind of what the approach is.
Speaker 4: I think it is. I think it would be considering where they are at the moment. They got to win games, and I think the key word is healthy. Help, you know, takes care of a lot of things, and then avoid that play in because you don't need to be playing extra games with a forty one year old veteran and you know you already have you know, injuries that are still you know around nagging. So you need to be healthy. Come in and there sixth spot, fifth spot, and you know, just go from there and then be healthy in the playoff start. You got Luca, you got Austin. Ree's a healthy team that no one wants to I always say this, no one wants to see the Lakers, but I think it holds through this year, given the fact that JJ's had a year under his belt, Lucas had a full year under his belt. They've had some disappointments, they got a lot of make up for, and I think they're aware of that.
Speaker 3: Last one for you, James, brought to you by the twenty twenty six Ford F one fifty, California's best selling truck brand. It's time to see Ford in a new light. Just wrap it up with one last All Star War. We just saw it in Los Angeles. Not in Los Angeles, but Clayton Kershaw was in the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: It was a big to do.
Speaker 3: Do you anticipate it being like that for Lebron or do you think everybody is under the assumption that he's going to play basketball next year and we're not going to see some sort of procession about maybe this is the last time we're going to see this guy in an All Star Game.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's there yet. I haven't felt that, you know that generated throughout the league. You know, you feeling by now someone would have, you know, done a big halftime thing. Rumors about Lebron, you know, possibly want to go back to Cleveland where it all started. There's all kind of things happening. But I don't think. I don't think that's on the table this year. In my opinion, I think he wants to win, and he's still playing like he wants to win. And I think after this year, after the season, you know, and Samantha Savannah will sit down and talk about what the next movie.
Speaker 5: My son is in the seventh grade, and I just got a text here, James that says, in nineteen eighty six, when I was in the seventh grade, I went to my first NBA game at the Sports Arena. We got there early to watch the Lakers warm up. In the middle of his pregame routine, with the arena empty, Worthy stopped and waved at my buddy and me. A great moment for us sitting in the last row. Thank you, James.
Speaker 2: Word.
Speaker 4: Good memories, man, good memories over there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like the sports Now you got.
Speaker 5: Did you guys have like a cool pregame warm up thing, like when Lebron throws the ball into the air and everybody squats down and does a special dance or he.
Speaker 4: Na We didn't have anything that would have been cool though. I mean, I don't even think pat Rally would have permitted anything like that. He'd just seen something like that pre game, especially Jerry west Man. If you weren't serious, like if you missed the layup in the layup line, man, you weren't ready to play man, and it was just so much pressure on everything. But nah, I think it's cool. I like it. Actually, it brings the guys together, righting for timpaul, anything to get you together, it's cool.
Speaker 2: And do the cool kid in playdance. That'd be cool. I love it.
Speaker 5: We love you, James, thank you, and have a great All Star break and enjoy all the festivities and you deserve to be celebrated.
Speaker 2: Have fun.
Speaker 4: You got it, man, Have a good one.
Speaker 2: A big thank you to the great James Worthy.
Speaker 5: All Star weekend coming, good opportunities for big game, James, and we'll be back with your dead and alive guy. Birthday of the Day Dodger Talk. After that, David Vessy's got Tanner Scott and Reggie Smith.
Speaker 2: This is Petron on Demand.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening, everybody. It's Petro Send money on Amphi seventy LA Sports your home of Dodger Baseball, Dodger Talk tonight in a moment Tanner Scott Matt's favorite pitchers and Reggie Smith Doyers. Will you join David Vasse at seven We'll have a full show again tomorrow, and don't forget to podcast the show on the iHeartRadio app for your smartphone. Is it available there to podcast or to stream live? Thank you to Tim Kaits our executive producer and Ronnie Fossil, our engineer.
Speaker 2: And have a great night. But it's now time for the dead and a live guy.
Speaker 3: Birthday of the day, Dead Guy, Great American would have been two hundred and thirty five today. Happy birthday to Peter Cooper, American industrialist, inventor, philanthropist, social reformer, best known for his founding of the Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art in Manhattan. It is still open today, one hundred and sixty seven years later, and while the Cooper Union no longer offers every admitted student a full tuition scholarship, in twenty fourteen they shifted to every admitted student gets a half to wish go.
Speaker 2: Buy headphones for you guys. You got to bring your own headphones.
Speaker 3: In thanks, Boss, appreciate that half the student body is on full tuition scholarship, So how did Pete put that together? He was born in the big town. His father was a hat maker. Buy headphones for the house, Whisper and David. The headphones you bought, Boss broke in four weeks, but thank you for the effort. His dad was a hat maker, a revolutionary war veteran, so not a lot of family money. Young Peter received only a limited formal education, but he paired that with a strong work ethic passion for self learning. Had to leave school before his teen years to work various jobs to help support his family. Apprentice to a coach maker in his teens, and in his downtime he would study science, math, engineering, which led him to work for himself. He became an inventor and entrepreneur during the early years of the Industrial Revolution, held several patents, started multiple businesses, glue and iron manufacturing companies. The iron manufacturer really took off. Everything he did made money. He was an exceptional businessman, most famous for designing and building the Tom Thumb locomotive in eighteen thirty, the first American built steam locomotive to operate on a common carrier railroad. Famous Newsworthy race against a horse drawn train car did not go his way, all right, the horse.
Speaker 5: One Chris collinswor didn't win either. But you know what set himself up for a great career exactly, and one for his son, who is still incarcerated.
Speaker 2: I couldn't get off the rock.
Speaker 3: The steam powered engine, though, did perform well enough, was practical, was efficient, and it paved the way for the rapid expansion of railroads across the country.
Speaker 2: Where you gow that to Coop. He earned a substantial fortune. He did not keep it.
Speaker 3: He was known for treating his workers fairly, paid them a healthy wage, incredibly uncommon at the time. He encouraged other businesses to follow his lead. His lasting contribution, though, the founding of the Cooper Union in eighteen fifty nine self taught success story, was Coop believed strongly in the power of education to improve lives, to create opportunities, so he wanted to provide free education to working class men and women. The Cooper Union established as tuition free courses in science and engineering and art. It was one of the first colleges in the US to admit women with men to provide education without regard to race, to social class. He saw education as the great equalizer based on merit, not wealth, and he was right. An incredible success. Thomas Edison went to the Cooper Union on a full scholarship.
Speaker 2: Great guy.
Speaker 3: Milton Glazer of Pushpin Studios, the guy that created the iHeart New York logo. Dave Berg, founder of Mad magazine. Josh Lionel, creator of Lionel Trains all Cooper Union. He was active in politics, supported public education, improvement of working conditions, abolition of slavery. He ran for president in eighteen seventy six as a party candidate of the Greenbacks. He lived to be ninety two out in eighteen eighty three. Cooper Union though still going strong today.
Speaker 5: We're the green Backs. We believe in money, all right. Matt Well also a self made man of sorts. Jamaican News Today, it's Jamaica News. Phillip Thomas is sixty one years old Today.
Speaker 2: Did not fill up Michael Thomas, No, No, but he is dark skin? Did we even darker?
Speaker 5: Cuddy Ranks is sixty one years old, a great Jamaican dancehall star who's still beloved and still looks good. From Clarendon Parish, which is kind of Jamaica's halfway point. He started performing at a young age, moving around from sound system to sound system. His real job for a long time was that of a butcher. However, that's not how he got the nickname Cuddy. That is not the nick name name Cutty Ranks his origin. Rather, the nickname Cuddie comes from the tough street fighting waves and he does have at least four very visible knife scars on his face and abdomen. However, his past of being a butcher did inspire the name and the lyrics to one of his most famous dancehall songs, Limb by lim. His debut was nineteen eighty six getting around Jamaica and then Miami. His nineteen ninety one UK based album The Stopper caught my attention for sure as a young man, as did the next two albums. He had lots of singles before that, some great collaborations with Dennis Brown, Marcia Griffiths, Barris Hammond. He's a shaved head guy with a big chain and he spends time traveling or performing in and around Jamaica or the world. When he is in Jamaica, he spends a lot of time at the famous Debbie's sports bar in Clarendon Parish. Debbie's, which is a real I looked it up and it's a real. I've never seen anything like. I was like, let me check out Debbie's. Like I did expect it to look like Fiddy's in Westlake, but it was like, what is on that shelf?
Speaker 2: There's nothing like? What are they? What is available here?
Speaker 5: Two Chains used him once in a song, but also so did Lebron, So you know, two Chains and Lebron used each other as well. But recently Ron the Jewels used him on this song as well. The Great Philip Thomas aka Cutty Ranks sixty one years old today. The best Cutty Ranks song is Who's say Me Done?
Speaker 2: In my opinion? Here turn it up? I driving to comething, I'm n.
Speaker 1: On?
Speaker 2: Why not they not getting there?
Speaker 5: But look off we on and with it soar and anger and violence.
Speaker 9: They taught them heat but them word with him caught my right flash, shooting them like bird. They I taught them eat but them word with him caught my right flash, shoot them like burn. They bl them we at one tim They called them to Jimmis own bike phone. We have used them tongs and fiance USA. They called them to witness we we we.
Speaker 2: We more shop in the place sitting on the way. But I guess I'll just have to take the pass.
Speaker 5: Now we're going Cuddy Rings right all the way. So we have a great man May Assays coming out next.
Speaker 2: The rich comer fling do that's something that wrongs me. I want to hug that lyrics. I member, we need to fly off on my tongue.