Speaker 1: Don't want it.
Speaker 2: Sloading here on seven hundred w wel W. As you know, the deep freeze held over for a second week. I think that is the big story here as we kick off the work week. Coldest part of the year is happening right now. Another one to three or possibly even more inches of snow coming tomorrow. We're in the thicket things right now. Doesn't look like we're gonna get warm enough to do much for an extended period till maybe a week from now, if that we shall see. Jumping in right now with the from the car show on fifty five KRC Dane Donovan, Donovan's Taranauto and Ridge and Blue Ash. Because every car I got, like three people in my family all their cars are dead because of the cold. It's happened all over the place. Dane, the busiest guy in Cincinnati. There's no question about it. How full is your parking.
Speaker 3: Lot, Scott? It is? Yeah, we are, we are well, just we don't have a spot. We don't have a spot.
Speaker 2: Here's the other thing too, because typically it's a battery issue, because we know the cold drains battery power. You go in your car and all of a sudden, nothing's going on, it's probably too late.
Speaker 4: Can you even get a battery anywhere these days?
Speaker 2: And iman with with all the cold, as much people's affective from the south to here and westward, it's got to be pretty tight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you can still get batteries. Most of your newer vehicles now have what's they have it, what's what's called an a GM battery. It's not lead acid. It's a dry cell battery, which of course involves more cost because of all the electronics on these cars. These cars demand a lot more of of vehicle battery and you still can't get them, but they are significantly higher, you know. It's you're not paying forty nine bucks for a battery anymore in your vehicle. They're significantly higher, you know. And the other thing that a lot of people don't realize the average life of a battery in our region is only three to four years. That's the average life. You know a lot of people go, I just had a battery replaced and might go back and like, well you had to replace four years ago. Well that's that's only four Well that's the average life of a battery. I mean, you know, we don't realize that. You know, when we plug our phones in every night, that you know, but your car demands a lot more of your battery with all the electronics and the power doors and the radios and the backup cameras, so you know, they are used a lot more. Some vehicles even have two batteries because a lot of these cars have the.
Speaker 5: You know, the the uh like a hybrid.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, you've got your hybrids and then you got the ones that you know will shut off, you know, and then restart when you let off the brake. So yeah, there's there's there's a lot more demand. And the other thing about a battery is and a lot of people don't realize this is one. It's it's absolutely important that you get it checked regularly, right, and and it's something that it's something that can be done very easily. We we we do it for free. But you know, I can test the battery today and tomorrow it'd be absolutely dead, you know, one of the cells just die. So you know, there are usually warning signs of a battery like a slow start or a slow crank, uh. But it's it's it's very important that you get it tested because again, the extreme heat, extreme cold put puts a lot of hard work on your battery, Dane.
Speaker 4: Don what's worse for the car that's cold weather.
Speaker 3: The heat cold the cold is is a lot is a lot harder on these vehicles, especially when you get into emissions and the engine. And you know, uh, there's always been this debate that you know that you know, if you start it and let it run a little bit and get it warmed up before you just starts car and just take off. And I believe that's an important thing. You know, you want to that that discosity. That oil when it's as cold as it is is real thick, right, so it puts a little bit more, you know, it makes the engine work a little bit harder. So most of us nowadays have the remote start, and yes, it is a good idea to do the remote start. Just let it run an idle a little bit, let it get warmed up, and it's a little bit harder on on the engine. And it would be like you know, you getting up at you know when when you get up at four or five whatever and just running a marathon or running five miles right without getting you know, some coffee or some caffeine.
Speaker 4: Or Yeah, it used to be back in.
Speaker 2: The old days, it was, you know, a carburetor engine, which there are fewer of now because I'll feel injected. But you'd have to let that warm up. It's like I got to warm the car up, otherwise it's gonna stall out and cough and everything else because it's not warm. Less less true on fuel injected cars. But still to get that oil running through the engine and warmed up before you, you know, shift it to year is probably a good idea. Hey, real quick, on the on the battery thing, there's a you know, you can't replace your own battery. It's not really that hard, but you know you mentioned in today's cars with the electronics in there.
Speaker 4: My son called his car.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't started as a hybrid and he was worded, was a big battery, and'm like, now there's that.
Speaker 4: That's a separate thing. Entirely. Get a new bet.
Speaker 2: He did, and his friend had one too, and her car died and uh, you know she has a Honda and she put the battery and called back and said, all the warning lights are on. I have no idea what to do. Like, well, each car is a little bit different. That is more about the computer, right, that's learning that there's a new battery in there and processing and eventually it will take care of itself. But it's not really a daunting test getting the battery exchanging because you get a you know, your deposit back. It's called a core exchange. You get ten bucks or whatever it is when you bring that a return that it's a little more work if you want to get your hands dirty, if you can find a battery and know I do it on my cars.
Speaker 4: It's just an easy thing for me to do.
Speaker 2: But I could see where you're you know, you know, maybe taking to someone like yourself to get that done.
Speaker 4: So each car is a little bit different.
Speaker 2: There's some nuances, so it's not just like the old days where you plug a battery in and go. You mentioned you do computer control batteries. There's a little bit more thing, little wonky things it could go on when you replace it.
Speaker 3: Yes, correct, absolutely, And that's the thing again when I'm going back to the electronics. But you know your car. You know a car back in the eighties that you had one computer that ran everything right. Nowadays, all these newer cars have eighteen to twenty to thirty different modules and computers. And when a battery dies or has low voltage. Yes, the car will sit there and the car will go, oh, we have low voltage and we're not getting a proper voltage. So yeah, your airbag light comes on, your check engine light comes on, you know, and that's all due to the fact that the voltage of the battery is down and those components are getting a proper volage. So yeah, you do want to make sure that when you do it, you do it properly, you do it correct. You know, a lot of these vehicles, especially like you mentioned the hybrids, you know, Prius their twelve volt battery is in the trunk. The battery is completely dead. Well none of the electronics work, so you have to literally crawl through the back seat to get to this battery and it can It's it's a daunting task sometimes and then everybody goes, well, you know, I can't believe this battery is for you know, on a on a newer camerie. You know, they're they're about six hundred and fifty dollars to replace the battery and simply because of where they're located and in the cost of them, and it's a dry it's a dry. So the Mercedes SUVs, the batteries underneath the passenger side seat. You have to remove the passenger side seat in order to replace the battery on a Mercedes Suv. Not all SUVs, but some of them who engineered to remove a whole entire seat just to put a.
Speaker 4: Battery like it's not like something that doesn't need to bring you know, feel pumps last a good long time these days, see that. But now you got to pull the seat out to do something that's fairly routine maintenance. Anyway, every every two to three years, he's stayed Donovan from the car show on fifty five KR. See wee can.
Speaker 2: It's also with Donovan's Tyronado on Ridge and Blue Ash. Coldest stretch of the year or so far right here in Cincinnati with some snow getting dumped tomorrow. So we're talking about everyone's car dying right now. What you can do real quick on the battery because I don't want to dwell, and this is a couple other things I want to mention, But what about those you know it needs to be you get the jumper cables out here in Fear people are doing that. They have those little battery packs that you can charge up, leave it your glub box if you need you recommend.
Speaker 3: Those absolutely absolutely. I see far less damage to other vehicles when we have the jump packs. The jump packs are you know, they're they're reliable. You can get them as little as probably about fifty bucks. You can get them online, have them delivered to your house. Far less damage do we see. So many people will put the jump the jumper cables on incorrectly and not only do they break their core, but then whoever's jumping them they break their car as well. Just had it happen a couple of weeks ago, friend of mindset, I am you know so, yes, jumper cables are a thing of the past. I highly recommend the jumper packs now. We have we have three of them here at just at my Ridge location and we use them every single day, and I highly recommend them now. Now, the one that we use is it's a little bit more commercial industrial, but I mean it's you know, it's expensive. It's like about two hundred bucks. But I'm telling you they're worth their weight and gold, and far less damage comes from the jump packs than using jumper cases.
Speaker 2: It's got to remember to charge them every once in a while. That's the key, right, there you caking charge to the irregular battery too in the car, and it's always ready to go. Yeah, that's that's and it's also idiot proof. It tells you know what lights are on the whole thing. It checks itself. You can't screw that up. Unlike jumper cables. You do it wrong. And because cars are computers now, of course you can really cast some serious, serious monetary damage to your vehicle. Yeah, you don't want to do that. Another thing too, People forget this because we talk about tires and mechanical issues and stuff, and it's really really cold weather lubrication. And I try to make this a habit every fall when I'm I don't know, I think of it. And that is get a little W forty whatever put on our rag and do all the door seals around where you close your passenger, especially driver's side door, because you get a little water and there and the moisture the rubber gets old, it could cause your door to stick. Also a little bit of a lubrication, special graphite loobes and stuff for your door lock if you've still got a key door locked, but also your your hood hinges and the hood latch too. My son I mentioned who battery died. He also couldn't get his hood open because it was frozen. Said, well, you gotta, you gotta. What do you recommend? What types of lubricants do you recommend for that? And how is that really?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it's a great question. Really. The best thing that you can do is is WD forty. You can use it on your door seals, right, you just get it, put it on a rag, wipe it on all your door seals. You can spray it in your door locks a lot of times, you know, we have we have that. You know that we always go to our key fob in order to unlock it, and that there's an actua or that unlocked it. But the actual the actual lock itself never gets used, so it gets frozen, it gets eased up. So you literally can spray w D forty in there and uh, and then on your hinges and on your hood latch and your trunk latches those are still you know, so literally one can can prevent a lot of damage and to your vehicle. And it's just one. And then you know, for those who maybe don't have a can or just need something. If most people in our kitchens have some pam, get a little bit of pan, put it on the door seals. You know, I wouldn't recommend it for door seal or for latches, but I mean even you know, but but so many times we see people, you know, they roll out that window down to get their morning cup of coffee or their loans or bread this, and they and that that that peel itself is frozen and it breaks the the you know, the window regulator or the motor. Yeah, and this time of year as well. Wiper arms, wiper blade. It's something that's so simple, but we don't talk about it enough. And you know, you you a lot of times, you know, the night before right using them, we shut the car off. We don't think about it, right, and then the next morning you go to start the car up and boom they're on and you snap the wiper transmission and it can cost your long mind. So you know, if you're if you're in the habit of just shutting your car off, then just leave the wiper arms up in the morning, right. You know, That's something that can save you a lot of headache, you know, because if your wipers break, especially when you've got the salt dew on the on the windshield. You've got you've got that sun. I know we haven't seen the sun in months, you know, but that's something that you can do too. Leave those wiper arms up. It's gonna save you a tremendous amount of money and headache, if you know. But I always tell everybody turn your wipers off before you shut the car off. And again I'm guilty of it myself. You know.
Speaker 2: It's always forget that, right yeah, and their auto too, so you really forgot me. It's not like the old wady switch stuff. You know, tomorrow case you make. It's better the old days. We could just get jumper cables and slip your battery out, turn your white pers on manually. It's like, uh, I'm going back, going Wow, maybe maybe it was simpler back in the day.
Speaker 3: I guess, well, yeah, I mean, you know, back when I started in this business twenty six years ago, we had cars, you know, back and fall. You know, we had people bringing their cars in because they want them winner rized. We don't win a rize cars anymore because these cars are are designed to go much longer and and things like that. But we always think about we always forget about the simple things, the batteries, the tire pressure. You know that, you know you're going to spend more money, you're gonna wear your tires out earlier, wear them out and and uh, you know, simply because of the fact that they're not properly inflated. So you want to make sure. And again, uh you know, every for every ten degrees that the ambient temperature drops, you lose one pound of air. Right, So when we're down into the zero digits, that tire light is on for a reason, that's because one or multiple tires are under inflated.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: I think my wife calls me about every other week to let you know that her tire light's on.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, and I see so many people you know, at that at that pump spending a dollar fifty you put air in their tires. You know, at all of our locations, we'll check your tire pressure and check your tires for free. You come by, we'll check your air pressure. And but it's something I mean, tires are expensive, as you know, and if you want to prolong the life of your tire, make sure they're properly inflated in these temperatures. Make sure you check your battery regularly, and uh, you know, get a can of WD forty and it will save you a tremendous amount of money in these in these uh cold, frigid times.
Speaker 2: Now, there is an old wives tale daned out of it and it said, you know the winter, if you get snow like we're going to have tomorrow, you take a little bit of air out, makes the tire softer, puts more tread on the ground. And of course in the summer months when it's hotter, if you overinflate them slightly, it creates less resistance on the road, it saves you money.
Speaker 4: Is that actually do you of those things? Is that a good idea?
Speaker 3: No? I no, I don't believe so. I think I think, you know, again, going back to the eighties and nineties, when we had real wheel drive vehicles and you know, you put on your snow tires, that's probably relevant. But in today's vehicles most of them are all wheel drive. You've got all wheel you have all seasoned tires. They're designed to to deal with these types of you know, snows and temperatures and whatnot. So now I don't, uh, you know, I I don't think it's of it. In today's vehicles. I mean you can do that, but you know, again with the the frigid temperatures, you don't want to really underinflate these tires because again you're going to prematurely wear them down, you know, and instead of tire sometimes can be a thousand to two thousand dollars. Most people really don't like, you know, sometimes I use the reference I'm kind of like a kind of like a dentist, right, you don't want to go to your dentist, but it's something that you just have to do, and you know, so, yeah, we just.
Speaker 2: Cheaper cheaper than waiting, right, I mean, if you wait long enough, it's going to be a much more expensive repair rather than go and get in that oil. Change in fluids checked and all that stuff as well, and correct yeah, and making sure you have washer fluid, like I always checked my wife's washer fluid. And shouldn't you just I mean they have the the really well the sub zero stuff, I think the orange stuff that's good to like twenty below or something like that.
Speaker 4: Shouldn't you just could you use that year round?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Yeah, absolutely, you can use it year round and a lot of a lot of times, you know, there are, especially in our area there are there is a stummer blend and kind of a winter blend of washer foods. So a lot of times people we get a lot of people that come in and say, hey, my my washer food's broken, my washer pump's broken, it's not working. Well, it's not broken, it's frozen because the fluid. So you know, we always make a we make that change over in in uh, you know, midsummer to the winter blend the other thing that you could do. And I love the product, and I'm of course not endorsed bying by any means, but there there's a product that go out there called rain X. Yeah, and it helps, uh, you know, beat the water off your windshield and also has washer flood in it and it's and it's so you really get you get a great product that you know, you prevent uh a lot of times the rain as you don't even have to turn your wipers on when it's raining because it just beads up and and and then it's for deep freezing, so it's not going to freeze on you. And you know you kind of come to one stone.
Speaker 4: To use that stuff.
Speaker 2: Back in the day, Dan and I just got old and lazy, I think, and I haven't used that in years, but well.
Speaker 3: Now they put it in. They put it in a one gallon jug. Gotta put it in Washington, Okay, I don't have to apply anything.
Speaker 2: You rub it out and polish it off and then rub it a second, got on for you know, a month or whatever, and now it's all right.
Speaker 4: Sounds in the fluid.
Speaker 3: Guy gallon joke. You go to your local parks place. Oh, just dump it in. Boom, You're done.
Speaker 4: Good advice. So you got a hard start.
Speaker 2: Make sure you got one of those battery back up very charged, because uh, you know, these things can go rather quickly, especially with this deep cold we're in right now.
Speaker 4: Hopefully it won't last much longer.
Speaker 2: The week Dan don have been from the car show fifty five k see weekends and of course over at Ridge and in Blue Ashes, all the two locations.
Speaker 4: Thanks again, brother, I appreciate.
Speaker 3: You, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: All the best. Go back to work and get some batteries. There you go, good luck getting one. Oh they said they're still you can still find him, but depends on the model I suppose. Anyway, let's get a news update in and speaking of cold weather, that we're in right now, we'll get a little nostalgic. Next, something you probably and it has to do with vehicles, something you probably haven't heard in I don't know twenty or thirty years.
Speaker 4: Next lonly seven hundred W. All right, welcome to it.
Speaker 2: Back to the grind Scott's Loan Show on seven hundred w WELW lotsa cover today. Seth Walsh is your council member if you live in Cincinnati, you know, with all the snow and more snow expected tomorrow, wants to force residents to shovel their sidewalks.
Speaker 4: How do you do that?
Speaker 2: Well, we'll talk to cols member Walsh about that at ten oh seven here on the show on seven hundred WLW. Later on, Jeff Carr locked on Red's a Jueno Suarez back in the Red's uniform middle lineup will pop there with his forty nine homers last year? Does it put the Reds over the top? So lots of questions to be answered this morning in full of the Tail. One of those questions to be answered MOMENTAI I just had Dale Dane as Dell's dad, but Dane donevan on from fifty five care He's the car Show and from Doance Donoman's Tirron Auto about all the dead batteries of which there's no shortage and if you have a hard time starting your car truck these days, the average life is two to four years on battery in Cincinnati. So if you fall, if you can't remember last time, probably need to have that checked, especially if it's a hard start. If you can't start at all, then you got real problems, right there, real problems. But we often we were at the battery more than this that we used to worry about from years and years and years ago, something you probably haven't heard in a good thirty plus years.
Speaker 4: Anytimes it gets as cold as this love playing that so cheesy, but it's still good.
Speaker 2: That is when we call the radio business kids a sounder, the Ohio sounder.
Speaker 4: Anytime you get.
Speaker 2: Below freezing, the weather's forecast would be sponsored and need to play that under the forecast because as you may recall, you go or Sohio pays the toll the toe rather the toe that that the toll the toe you go or Sohio pays the toll, And used to be a thing that your fuel line would freeze up. Fuel line freeze up. There's no joke back in the day, and you don't hear about that anymore, and you don't have to play that old school sounder as we call it. And that is simply because modern cars really don't have that problem anymore. A couple of reasons of why down you don't. You can start to worry about the battery. There's no easy way to run a dead battery. But as far as fuel line freeze up goes, it was actually a thing. A number of reasons is because you and you think about it, well, gasoline, doesn't you know I have gas gas in my garage for my you know, snowblower, my lawn mover. It might be that's not frozen because I think, you know, petroleum is good to like forty to fifty below something like that, which is certainly a lot colder than we're getting it.
Speaker 4: So we don't see that. But the problem, the problems back in the day is science. So back then ice crystals from water would get into the fuel supply and then in the fuel lines, and then you know, when you had less typically less gasoline in your tank, you'd have more percentage of water and the waters would freeze cause the problems, which is why today and it's still true, is to make sure that you keep that gas can topped off. Two things.
Speaker 2: It gives you weight in the back, which is crue crucial, but all the impurities and stuff could cause some issues with your fuel pump and everything else. So you want to make sure you have a full tank of gas when the weather's just cold. It says, oh, reasonably close more than half is what they say. So back then you get low and that stuff would freeze up. And we just don't see this more because refineries are better at producing fuel with fewer impurities. Again, the science got better. We also have more pipelines stuff, and that tends to add to it as well, believe it or not, So another you know, thumb up for pipelines and getting the fuel to where it needs to be the spital of the protests. You also had the fact that we we I don't know how long ago we started doing this. But you know, your reason the press gas goes up in the fall and in the spring is because they start to switch blends, so you have the summer and you have the winter, which is part of this too, but mainly it's because back in the day you had a carburetor in your car, and those who are more vulnerable to a fuelie freezing. So with fuel injection you get better pressure, better flow, and less ice as a result of that too, although if you have diesel, that's a whole different thing because there's paraffin wax in there that gels up and that causes a problem. But frozen gasoline is extremely rare, so that's why you don't hear that noise anymore. There you go and if you're young, going what the hell is that? And now you know something you don't have to. Yeah, we'll worry about a whole bunch of different stuff we didn't have to back in the day. And so it goes, and so it goes. But thanks to Dane for popping on this morning talks about this. One of the things that was speculated with the snow and the deep freeze it continues, is on this date in nineteen seventy seven, speaking going the way back, I feel like I'm doing like a I don't know, a retrospective this morning. You're in the first few minutes of the show. Generally I don't wax that poetic about history, but I do enjoy history.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 2: Living in the past is different than just kind of mention it it. But in nineteen seventy seven, we had the Ohio River freeze over and a number of people who may still be around walked on the Ohio River. I don't know when it froze before that, because we tend to look at it. But are we going to have a circumstance coming up in the next few days where you can actually walk out across the Ohio River And the answer is probably not for two reasons. The first reason is back in seventy seven, we had fifty eight consecutive hours I said fifty eight hours without the temperature getting above zero, not freezing zero. That means fifty eight straight hours of temperatures that were sub zero in a stretch where it was actually actual temperature was not the wind chill, not the fields like not the fields twenty five below zero, it's the actual temperature, and in places you had ice at least a foot thick. We had three consecutive weeks of snow on the ground. Last ward to twenty twenty six, we've had what a week of snow down and a week of freezing tempts with you know, we're starting a second week here, so we got a long long way to go, and it doesn't look like it because a week from now it's gonna looks like it's gonna be in the forties. So we will not have that deep, deep, deep freeze necessary to freeze the Ohio River. Now, maybe in the edges for sure, not out in the middle. And I think I said there are two things, so this is where we've never seen this again. It could be sub zero from month. We could get a forecast. Who knows February is still young, right, We're on the second day. And that fat bastard Phil I guess he saw a show we get six more weeks of winter. So if you care about that, more on that in just a second, and I look at it, go okay. The big reason is, can you imagine this day and age when we are worried so much about children and safety and all the hand ringing and thinking, these are more dangerous times than it was in the past. I would say, check yourself, because we could have a month of subzero temperatures and they said the Ohio River could freeze all the way down to the bed and there would still be don't go out on the eye, don't because it's dangerous out there, and you'd probably have armed guards. Ice would be protecting us from ice. They wouldn't be protecting us from from immigrants, legal immigrants. They'd be protecting the ice would be here to protect us from ice. They'd have soldiers lined up on the Ohio River at gunpoint to shoot anyone who dares walk out in the earth because it's two quote unquote too dangerous. Now back then, people and we have, by the way, a lot better technology now when it comes to, you know, protecting yourself from the cold, and back then it was like, I don't know, you were like a wool hat and some wool gloves. Today we've got cortex, We've got different layers and fabrics and heated jackets and everything else.
Speaker 4: We're good. We're good.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: You fall through the ice, unless you have one of those specialized suits on, you're not gonna make it. But my point is, we just we live in fear all the time. Now, there's no way in hell that they wouldn't anybody be allowed on the Ohio River. I don't care if it's cold for a half a year. It just we don't live in those times anymore. Now you may want to you know, who's gonna stop me? Yeah, you'd be surprised. Somebody would call the police and you'd be out there with a arresting you for a publican d terrorizing fish. I don't know what it would be walking on water, frozen water. Nonetheless, Groundhog Day is here. The Big Man saw his shadow or didn't say. I always forget how it works. It's just a stupid ritual. But you know it's winter when you see punk Sa Tawny Phil getting yanked out of a hole in the middle of winter in Pennsylvania, and we have six more weeks in winter. Now, if you don't like that message, the good news is we have a conflicting work. We're kind of like meteorologists. The other rat came out of the hole, and this would be a Buckeye Chuck, Buckeye Chuck Ingram do some of the AI Chuck Ingram's voices. The voice of Buckeye Chuck would be fantastic anyway. Buckeye Chuck says, no, we're gonna have an early spring. So whatever roadent you want to believe, or Marrimount or whatever they are, you want to believe, there's your answer.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I bring this up because I don't I often I don't think about Groundhog Day. I knew I saw it on the counter, and okay, I don't really care. But I did have a weird dream on a Saturday. I must have been there. Maybe it was Friday. It doesn't matter weird until you ever have this dream. So I had this dream and I thought it was kind of like in Groundhog Day with Bill Murray, except stuff wasn't happening all the time. I think Bill Murray might have been in the dream. I'm not sure I should have woke up and wrote it down, but I vividly remember. And I don't know if you've ever had this dream or not. Is the guy he's got the top had on. He pulls Phil out of the ground you know, he's got the you know, a little fat road, and he doesn't look too scared, too worried about it. He's a man. It's been a year ready. The only time they mess with me is I don't know why. It's got to be in February. But ground had no idea what's going on. And he pulled the groundhog out, and all of a sudden, it's like and I saw it in person, but then I saw somehow the replay on TV, and all of a sudden, the guy's holding Phil up over his head so you can see that he didn't see. He whispers, I didn't see my shadow. And as he's holding him up, the same guy who tried to kill Trump shoots the groundhog, and the groundhog literally takes the round center mass. And this guy is standing there and they're like chunks of groundhog and blood.
Speaker 4: I should laugh.
Speaker 2: Groundhog and blood all over his face, all over his top hat, it's all over the people in the crowd. People are ducking for cover. Police officers are running and rushing to tey. And it was actually in of all things, in Punk Satanni, Pennsylvania. It was from the third flour of the school Book Depository, which is not in Pennsylvania. It's in Texas. But it was a guy who tried to kill Trump, who shot the groundhog and just eviscerated this guy. I mean he was standing there holding them, not to get too graphic, standing there holding the groundhog, holding the groundhog head, and the rest of the body was completely gone. And he stood there for what looked like a good four or five seconds before he realized it was a shock of the whole thing crazy?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: What the hell was I eating before? Was I thinking? Before bed?
Speaker 2: I'm watching Punk Satani Phil get murdered on live television. I was there, and I think, as I now that I think about it again, I think I would had like somehow the power to stop it, kind of like this, And because I read a Stephen King book not long ago about eleven what eleven twenty two sixty three about the assassination John Kennedy go back in time and can stop that? And it was really interesting book. I thought it was kind of funny, the treatment of it. But I think all those things came together. I don't know why it was assassination. Why would I dream that Punk Satani Phil would be assassinated? Maybe it's indicative of the crazy times in which we live.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But it was kind of weird. But at the same time it's a little bit a little bit funny. Well, wait to get to do now for the next Well, we know it's a different groundhog every year. Probably, I don't know what the shelf life grab it Rodan is in that regard, it's probably a different it's a stunt guy. They just keep rolling out of new because yeah, we're all racist. All those groundhogs look alike to us. I I know it could be a it's a different guy every year, pick a different fill out of the hole. But this guy, man, if he had nine lives, you just used all of them. Clark, it's a Scott Flune show on seven hundred WLW. If you have not seen the images yet from the what was it the sixty eighth Annual Grammy Awards last night, I don't watch these things.
Speaker 4: I don't, but it's.
Speaker 2: The same, and it is literally you could go back to when you were younger, when you would pay attention to the artists and who all they were and large the same things about you know, a number of things are going to happen. There's going to be the hot couple of the day. There's going to be a big surprise winner. There's going to be somebody who says something controversial or in protest, and they did that about Ice. You have someone who kind of like, oh wow, that's them, and that would have been the lighter jelly Roll if you haven't seen him, he lost a ton of weight. And of course the big thing was the fashion, And the one that stole the show with fashion was Chapelome who had a dress on and if you see the images, you how do you describe it? So she's got a low cut it's not even a low cut dress. The dress starts actually below where her breasts are and her the dress is being held up by nipple clamps, so the clamps go to her nipples which are covered up, and then the dress itself starts well below where the bottom where the underboob is, and those things are out there and they're getting all the air they can take.
Speaker 4: Let's put it that way. But man, that looked You're sitting there for how many hours.
Speaker 2: With with with battery jumpstart cables on your nipples holding your dress up? And what are we doing here? If you thought that Joe Burrow backlist suit was weird, that's really weird, right. I mean, I'm not offended by it. I'm sure you're not offended unless I don't know, uh, but I look at it. It just I just don't understand fashion. I just don't get it. Am I supposed to get this? Are you supposed to get to? You sit there going wow that you know the back list suit coat, the nipple, clemps, the jumpstart cables on the what are we doing here? Like you're making a statement. Yeah, I get people are talking about you too, but it's not like you go wow, I can't wait to wear that one too. Yeah, I'm going to a wedding next weekend. I think I'm gonna try. I'm gonna bring that one out for you from the gallery. Like, I don't know, I just don't know what to make it. Kendrick Klamar won five awards, surpassing jay Z to become the most awarded rapper in Grammy history. And I believe that I love jay Z. Kendrick Klamar has lapped even jay Z and Bad Bunny got the Album of the Year, So that's going to add more fuel to the super Bowl performance. I'm sure for people who despise him for his political beliefs as it were, But you know the idea of just, you know, simply taking a celebrities wait and go, yeah, I gotta believe the same thing. Well, I don't know how many people are doing that. Actually, no, not sure why we listen to celebrities for their opinion. But nonetheless, I will say that speaking of which tomorrow in the show. I think eleven o seven. I'm sure you heard the song the new song by Dick Lache is the Bengals song want he released a song. I'll play this a little bit later where he's calling for the Brown family to sell the team, presumably to him. I don't know, but he's gonna be on the show with me tomorrow at eleven o seven to explain that. I'll catch up with him in a little bit. All right, So coming up in minutes here on seven hundred, of course news update. We've got weather moving in one to three I think is what they're saying. Could be more, possibly, who knows. And of course the deep freeze continue, so that on the way traffic. And when I returned, Seth Walsh is here speaking of the snow coming in. He wants a I don't know, an edict that is going to force you, if you live in Cincinnati, shovel your damn sidewalk. I don't know what the punishment would be for failure to comply, what that would look like, and who this actually applies to. We'll get to that next right afternoon Scott's Loan Monday morning, back at it on the Home of the Reds with Gino back in a red uniform. Is this the lift we need to put us over the top to beat the Dodgers. We'll find out. Scott's Loan seven hundred WW sincenat it's a Scott's Loan show on seven hundred WW. Just shooting a little straight with you this morth soap. We have all the snow in the ground. We got like twelve bunch of snow, not much of it if all has melted yet tonight. Since last tomorrow, we're going to get to one to two to three, maybe more, depending where you are, depends. We shall see temperatures remain cold, so more snow on top of the snow. Snow's not going anywhere, and city cruise does a great job clearing snow on the streets. There's still snow on the sidewalks that kids need to walk or wait for buses. And so a new ordnance would force property on us to clear the snow. So what we're saying is that your neighbor, your neighbor, Betty Lorrain or Margaret, whatever name is, she's got to go eighty years old. The city's going to force her out there at gunpoint to go shovel over twelve inches of snow. Absolutely heartless, heartless, it's unreal. Council Member Seth Walsh is proposing this, Seth, are you going to tell me that you're going to force somebody's gramma to go out and shovel sidewalks in this weather?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: No, no, Scott, I appreciate you leaving off with the drama there. Let's back it up to what's actually going on here. So the city actually already has on its books ordinances around shoveling the sidewalks, and one of the problems that we've discovered last year with the snow emergency is that we don't actually have any enforceable mechanisms to this right. And so whether you're dealing with your sidewalks by your house, whether you're in a business district, whether you're downtown, if you run into sidewalks that are covered in snow a week after the snowstorm, there's no way fee to report it, nobody whose job it is to maintain it and check in on it, and there's nobody who's there to make sure that we're actually doing this job. So what this motion asks is what does the administration need, much like we asked last year around the snowpop what does it need to be able to take the next step and actually make sure we're enforcing this appropriately and helping keep the city going. This isn't about going after you know, residential neighbors. This is about making sure that we all as a community are coming together and actually being able to take care of our sidewalks too.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this this would apply then primarily to the residential I'm sorry, the business district areas or places of business.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so it's all it's all Cincinnati, but I justicipate it's going to be primarily the business district areas.
Speaker 6: You know, we've seen a lot of complaints coming in.
Speaker 7: Downtown has had a number of complaints about you can tell who the properties owners are, who've cleared the sidewalks so you can.
Speaker 6: Tell who have it.
Speaker 7: We've also seen, you know, a lot of complaints around the city of Cincinnati, like owning property that we haven't cleared and then questionable property where you're like, is it the city, is it somebody else? And who needs to be responsible for it? One for example, of the bridge going from Clifton to Northside. What we need to be able to do is have a system in place to be able to get piece concerns and then make sure that we get them cleared. Whether that's there's some city mechanism, whether that's to hire in private contractors, whatever it is, that's a pretty big important Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had our buddy on from ODOT last week and he said that, you know, sometimes you see a road plowed and then it'll not be plowed and then it'll be plowed again. Is like that has to do with jurisdiction, right, Like od Doubts in chart generally have highways, but then you have the county, then you have local municipalities cities like Cincinnati, villages, et cetera. And sometimes between all those enterprises, we're not quite sure who is responsible for that stretch. And normally, if it's an insure or typically we get injured to a snow, it is not a big deal. But when you're talking feet, different story.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Absolutely, And what we currently do not have is a mechanism scout.
Speaker 7: If you want to call and tell us that there's a sidewalk they need to get shoveled after a week, there's no mechanisms for that. And that's you know, I'll stop sort of thing of the problem because I don't think it's a problem on the scale of snow powt issue was last year, but it is the next step in this how do we appropriately handle snow as we're looking at you know, I'm seeing three to five inches tomorrow, that's a big deal. And you know, if you're if you're trying to walk to a business, if you're trying to walk to your car, if you're trying to get to your you know, take your dog for a walk, that's that is a big deal to be kind.
Speaker 6: Of going through these various grades and it becomes pretty unsafe for people.
Speaker 7: And so if we can't even get the reporting on it, how do we how do we take that next step actually solve this problem?
Speaker 4: Okay, so where do you extend this that stuffs?
Speaker 2: I mean, you mentioned real estate owners is the target, but are we talking about absentee landlords just commercial property only? What about like something like an apartment complex. Can you define who isn't who's doing their job?
Speaker 7: I mean, I think you can define it as pretty much a sidewalk that and this wouldn't yes anywhere that has a sidewalk that is not being shoveled, you know, several days to the week after the snowfall event. Whether that is a private property owner, whether that's the City of Cincinnati, whether that's Oda, we need to be having these standards to make sure gets taken care of. I think there's a lot of people that are rightfully frustrated that city society hasn't shoveled our own sidewalks, and right now we haven't even we don't even allow you to be able to tell us that that's the problems. So let's get that salved. Like, let's hold everybody to the same standard, because again, it's a safety issue, you know, it's it's about people trying to have people walk more, have more pedestrian safety. You got to have the sidewalks. You see people walking in the streets because they can't access the sidewalks. That becomes dangerous for everybody, from the people who are walking to the motorists. It's just not a safe environment.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mentioned kind of tongue in cheeks sath Wall jokingly about senior sitting You know, eighty year old Betty, you're next door neighbor. She's not going out and shovel But if you can't physically shovel, and how do you differentiate when that in a proper dinner. Who's neglecting their responsibility? How do you verify this?
Speaker 7: Well, that's part of what we're asking in the emotion here is what does the city administration need to be able to run an effective program? And much like if your sidewalk gets destroyed by tree roots and is lifting up, you know, a couple of inches and you have to have it taken out, there are systems in place where you can get a replaced yourself, where the city brings in contractors to be to take care of and then there are ways to get creative about it to solve it where you're not putting the burden on your eighty five year old neighbor, but we are solving the problem which off the sidewalks and make these passable straight you know, say sidewalks.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, in the case of the eight year old neighbor, so who paid? Does a taxpayer pay for that? Or do you have to build? Do you build?
Speaker 4: The property owner?
Speaker 7: Well, I think that's something that the administration needs to come back to tell us, you know, what the costs would be on that. Uh, you know if if it's in the obscene costs, I'm sure there's a way we can work that out. And at the same time you have contractors that are out there being able to do this because we have to take care of the city's property. At the same time, you know we can figure that out as well. Right now, we're at the information gathering stage. Last year we were so worried about the roads high gaining cloud. This year we have had such a great success as the roads getting cloud the system worked. Now you have the next problem, which you want people to be able to walk in the sidewalks start being there.
Speaker 6: How do we answer it? How do we address that? Right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And I'll pivot for just a second off this hobby. You mentioned the success that the crews had. I've saw nothing but glowering reviews for the snow removal, but also that plow tracking app as well. It was down for a while. Worn't quite sure with the mechanics. There's always growing pains. I think we talked about this before seth Walsh. But you know, from what I could tell and looking at it during the snow event and probably ones happening tomorrow, everything looks really good. I mean, you guys really turned the corner on the snow removal thing largely because of your efforts.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean this is something that I think a lot of people deserve credit and kudos for. You know, last year we failed as leaders in terms of making sure that we were set up for the team to be able to go out and succeed at it.
Speaker 6: We had six hundred streets, we just didn't know that we didn't plow.
Speaker 7: That's not acceptable and we said that, and we said the last year working to make sure that we have the six hundred streets identified, that we had the systems in place to succeed that we knew days in advance we could prepare for and take care of it so that when we sent our workers out there, we worked twelve hour shifts. You know, they are doing the Lord's work in this and they needed to make sure they're supported, and we made sure they're actually supported this time. You see how remarkable the team is once they actually have the appropriate support from the snow plod tracker working to.
Speaker 6: Be able to see what streets were being taken care of, to see that we had it.
Speaker 7: Two days in advance, we were salting and preparing for the storms and then you know, literally getting these streets covered and taking care of Within like thirty six hours, we had ninety five percent of the streets passable.
Speaker 6: I mean, it was really incredible. But it took us being honest with.
Speaker 7: Ourselves, which I think is one of the hardest things in government to submit that, hey, we came up short.
Speaker 2: We have to do better, right, right, and often there are enough people taking the hit for that, going, hey, it's on my watch, it's going to happen. He's council Member Seth Walsh proposing a new ordin Cincinnati that's going to enforce with a little bit more teeth that you have to remove the snow from your sidewalks. That doesn't apply to a driveway though, right if you want to not shovel your own driveway, it's up to you, although I guess the sidewalk usually does cross a driveway. And you know, I'm backing up on this thing too, is how long before how long do you give someone to shovel the snow? Is it within twenty four hours forty eight a week? How long to shovel the snow that fill?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So on the first point, no, this doesn't impact driveways you know, the driveways your private property.
Speaker 6: The sidewalks are of the public property.
Speaker 8: Here.
Speaker 7: The second part of this is, in my opinion, you know, if we're trying to get everyone's streets cleared within forty eight hours, after that forty eight hour mark, is that we should expect the sidewalks are getting appropriately cleared as well. You know, we had some issues last last week where people cleared their sidewalks and then the snowplow came through and a bunch of snowgup dumped back on the sidewalk. That doesn't very feel very fair. That feels a little punitive for those who are trying to do the right thing. It's a situation where once a snow emergency has stopped, we've gotten the streets taken care of. Now we have to make sure the sidewalks become passable.
Speaker 6: You know, it's a priority order to this.
Speaker 7: So we're not saying, hey, the snowstorm is coming down right now, be out there and make sure there's not a ounce of snow out there. We're saying, you know, we're all team. You know, especially now you look we're a week out on the storm. We need to make sure the sidewalks are passable.
Speaker 2: Okay, Seth Walsh on that, And I've brought up the older neighbors at not be able to even plow their own driveway. They may pay for the drive to be plowed, to be a little extra, a little bit more money on them to get the sidewalks done as part of that. Businesses may be a little bit different in that regard to but you know, all it would take is someone to go, hey, they're they're going after this. You know this elderly widow or widow were they don't have the money, they're fixed income, they can't go out there and shovel their own thing. And now you're going to crack down. And that feels like it's like an IT team thing waiting to happen. But the same thing is, okay, my next door neighbor. Let's say, you know, it's an individual who works two or three jobs, doesn't have time to shovel their own driveway, let alone the snowplow or hiring someone to do that because they're trying to keep their head above water. In that regard, would the enforcement be punitive as you mentioned, because you look at them go, oh, okay, it's an older person. They can't afford it. They cannot do themselves. But you've got a younger next door neighbor, shouldn't they be out there doing it? Well, if you're working all the time, it's awfully tough to do that. How do you respond.
Speaker 7: We have a number of ordinances that are on the books currently that you may like, are targeting are more vulnerable citizens, and the way that we handle it as a city is that we provide funds and resources to make sure that they're being taken care of as well. None of these are designed in a way in which we are trying to punish, you know, our elderly citizens or those who are working multiple jobs. We're just trying to make sure the sidewalks to become passable. And again, you know this isn't an ordnance. There are already ordinances on the books that you know have this enforcement mechanism. There's no way to report it right now. And I think where the majority of these issues are happening. Frankly, our city is society properties, and I think we have to do better as a city. That's something in a mantra keep saying out there. But if we don't even allow your op change to tell us that these are problems. We can't solve the problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you feel like set there should be And again this is just the very primitive form of stage is it's nothing even close to becoming legislation at this point. It's like, hey, how do we get the and it's a safety is how do we get the snow off the sidewalks because the reality is you've got kids trying to go to school or walk to the bus stop, or people waiting for metro, whatever it might be, and now they've got to stand in the road and that's just horribly unsafe.
Speaker 4: That's the whole point of this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: You know, I've seen way too many people in the last weeks who put them pass through the sidewalks that they're just walking down the middle of the street. And it's arguably safer for them because they because of the slippage and the ice that has accumulated, but it's not safer because you have these vehicles that are coming along.
Speaker 6: It's not safer for them, it's not safer for the vehicles. And so again, as a community, we have to step up and do better. And so how do we do that?
Speaker 7: Again, we're not trying to be piuted up here. We're just trying to figure out ways and we can solve problems.
Speaker 6: That have arisen. And frankly, of all the problems that.
Speaker 7: We had last year, for this to be the next issue to tackle, I think it's a good side where the city's setting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got the roads tackled. Now it's the sidewalks which is challenging in different ways. I suppose, sess and we'll see what comes of this whole thing. I would also think too that this is such an unusually heavy snowfall winter for us. We normally don't get this much so in a short period of time, you know, and maybe a storm where we get four inches or something like that, and we treat it like it's a big deal. You know, a foot of snow and plus what we're getting tomorrow on sidewalks that's impassable.
Speaker 4: You know, an inch or two you probably can walk over that.
Speaker 2: And so is this kind of preparing for the quote unquote hundred year flood as opposed to what we normally say.
Speaker 7: You know, last year, I got a lot of criticism when I was when I was saying that we needed to do better on the snowplows because everyone said it was a once in a twenty year storm, and barely twelve months later that once in a twenty year storm hit again. Right, You know, the reality is we do live in a city where snowfall events happen, and we don't know when the next big snowstorm is. We didn't think two weeks together, we're going to have two big storms within a two week period, and yet that's what we're staring.
Speaker 6: Down the gun on.
Speaker 7: So, yes, this is an important issue to make sure that we continue to just improve on. And I hope that we don't have to experience it for the next hundred years. But if I've learned anything about my predictions, if you will, we'll try having again in the next three weeks. And so let's just be ready and let's start having these conversations and figure.
Speaker 6: Out again as a community, how do we do better and how do.
Speaker 7: We work with each other make sure we're supporting the administration for what they need and the resources they need to be successful.
Speaker 2: Well, the good news is much like diarrhea, it doesn't hang on too much longer.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: When I got a few weeks of this nonsense, Seth Walsh and then we'll be we'll be headed to spring I think with Red's baseball au Anyu Suarez. Now we're in a red uniform, so we got hope down at Great American Ballpark for our red legs. But of course with warmer temperature and all these cold and freezing and the snows, the the you know, the warming and freezing cycle, we got to worry about potholes.
Speaker 4: Now, are we here?
Speaker 2: I think this is going to focus from clearing sidewalks to pothole damage in a few short weeks, and are we prepared to deal with the probably immeasurable amount of potholes Last year it was a high pothole season. This year I would suspect the same. Are we better in twenty twenty six than we were in twenty twenty five on us?
Speaker 7: You know, potholes didn't get as much attention last year in the media as the snowstorm did, but it did get a lot of attention on the inside of city hall. Council Member Nolan obviously did a you know, quick blitz.
Speaker 6: To try to come up some solutions for the pothole how.
Speaker 7: We can do better at poddles, and then until I believe today is actually going to be approving.
Speaker 6: Funding to buy new equipment from pothole.
Speaker 7: Feelings, So hopefully you're going to see it improvement or remarkable improvement. Again, it's under the same new director who's solved our soap op situation, Mark Briley, So I feel optimistic, but let's have that conversation.
Speaker 6: Of four weeks when we get to see it in action, right.
Speaker 2: Right, and hopefully we are better than we have been in the past when it comes to poddles. Right now, it's snow on sidewalks. What's the timeline for this proposal?
Speaker 7: So we we're filing it today, which means we will officially vote on it next week and hopefully we'll see.
Speaker 6: Resolves quickly from there. Yeah, all right, we think this is a priority for the city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get what is you're trying to do because you can't have people, especially kids, walking in the street because the sidewalks aren't clear for sure. So anyway, Hey, Seth, appreciate you jup and I always love having you on the program. Thanks again, buddy, have a good day.
Speaker 3: Thanks Scott.
Speaker 2: All right, anytime there you go, Seth Walsh on the Scott Sloan Show. There may be some questions. How are you enforced this, namely? But I get the concept because you know, when sicy and cold out, people walk in this because at least the road is cleared, and in the past you couldn't walk anywhere because the roads weren't cleared. So I guess we're making progress. Julie hattersh hears. Next, it's Mental Health Monday on the Scott Sloan Show on seven hundred WLW. Why do people hang onto relationships much longer than the life of the relationship be held onto, namely unfulfilling relationships? Why do we continue to do that when it's not getting us anywhere and making us worse. We'll talk about that coming up after news on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: Everyone needs help every now and then, and she's here to help us get our heads right.
Speaker 4: This is Mental Health Monday with mental health expert Julie Hattershot. I need help all the time. I'm not about you. It's sloanyersefd WW, specially at mondays right.
Speaker 2: You need more help than ever before. Why do people stay in unfulfilling relationships over and over? Maybe it's a friend, maybe it's you, Maybe it's a coworker relative, and it's like NonStop complaining about this horrible relationship. Then get out of it. Seems like it's easier said than done on that, Julie, how to share our license mental health therapists practicing out of Clifton at beconnected dot care. Julie, how are you?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: Oh, we've got bad cell connection here? What's up?
Speaker 6: Hello?
Speaker 8: Hello?
Speaker 4: Check one too?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 4: Is your phone is frozen? I think I think the phone pipes are frozen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got you, Okay, sorry about that.
Speaker 9: Had my earbuds in and apparently they did not work.
Speaker 4: Nope, nothing's working today. It's too damn cold.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: But you'll stay in that unfulfilling relationship though, that for sure. Will beat the cold well, and I'll beat the heat. It seems counter to to human nature. Is like, you know, people generally don't stay in relations you're not happy with. But you probably hear people going, oh, you know, it's not that bad and I've invested so much time and what else am I supposed to do? And maybe it'll get better And it never does, it gets worse, doesn't it.
Speaker 9: Well it can, that's for sure. And it's really interesting because our like our primary romantic love relationship is the one thing in our society that we really give people a hard time about leaving. You know, you think about it. You change jobs sometimes, you change in higher career fields.
Speaker 1: You go from being one thing to another.
Speaker 9: Thing completely, You move houses, you move states, friendships come and go. But this is the one that's supposed to stick. This is the one that you're supposed to make in maybe your twenties or your thirties, and it's supposed to last you for the rest of your life, which can be a very long time these days.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, and so and so.
Speaker 9: People do tend to stay in unsatisfying relationships for some reasons that I guess sound good on paper, but when you really kind of take them apart, they don't make a whole lot of sense.
Speaker 4: All right, let's jump into that.
Speaker 2: What are the psychological reasons that you would stay in a relationship, whether it's intimate or personal friendship, whatever may be, where it's not fulfilling.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, so one of them is people say, well, it's not.
Speaker 1: That bad or it's not bad enough to leave.
Speaker 9: There's a really great book out there called Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay That talks about this kind of stable ambiguity of it's not good, but it's not so bad that.
Speaker 1: I am ready to leave it.
Speaker 9: And so when my clients say things like that to me, one of the things that I will ask and is, okay, well, what would bad enough look like? And I think it can be really helpful for people to think about, Okay, if it's not bad enough to leave, now, what would that look like? What would have to happen or have to not be there in order for.
Speaker 1: It to be bad enough to leave?
Speaker 9: And I think another thing to keep in mind is that the presence of a positive is much better.
Speaker 1: Than the absence of a negative.
Speaker 9: So not bad is not the same as good, it's not terrible is not the same as I'm really happy in this relationship. And we ideally want to be optimizing for the presence of positive not just the absence of negatives. So, you know, taking a really hard look at what would bad enough be what would have to happen in order for this to be bad enough for you to leave? Or or conversely, what would have to happen in order for this to be good enough that you're happy you stayed, and figure out what.
Speaker 2: Needs to change, So it's at a version of loss. I mean that is, you know, losses aren't more painful than in some cases more painful than pleasure, right, so you try to avoid that at all costs. Yeah, I mean that makes sense. But you know you know, well, you know it can't be bad, and you said not bad enough. But what happens is if you look back on let's say, in your relationship for a while, go back a year, go back two or three years, is it worse now? That wasn't absolutely because it's not an extreme, it's gradually getting worse, and you just keep making excuses and that just allows probably that other person to take the more liberties that they didn't in the past because you're allowing it.
Speaker 9: Well, if it's not bad enough yet and you're not both of you doing things.
Speaker 1: To work to make it better, then it's not going to just get better.
Speaker 9: Things typically in relationships don't just get better. We do things to help them become better. And so you stay in this this middle ground of like not great but not bad for long enough, and now you've sunk a lot of years into it, which is another reason that people stay is because they feel like they've sunk so much effort and time, so much of their life, maybe so much money, so much of their emotional labor, so much of their adult life has been as part of this dynamic, even though it hasn't been good, and even though it isn't good, and even though you don't think it's going to get better. It's that sunk cost fallacy of I put so much into it, I can't leave now, versus look at all I've put into it and how little I've gotten out of it, it probably is time for me to leave. So that's a mindset shift that people can make when you've overly invested and you're not getting returned.
Speaker 4: Kind of keeps you stuck on. Well, was this for nothing?
Speaker 2: I've invested so much already and it's some cost fallicy, as you said, But that's nothing new. That's true in a lot of things business and a bunch of other factors as well.
Speaker 9: Sure, sure, yeah, And the question is what this all for nothing? And I think that goes back to this idea that our primary relationships are the ones that were not allowed to leave, Because I mean, if you think about it, and I don't know about you, but I switched career fields in the middle of my life in my thirties, I went from one to the other, and I got a lot of really good stuff out of my first career, And now I'm in my second career and I'm getting a lot of really good stuff out of that. Never once did I say, with all of that stuff I did when I was a volunteer manager and fundraiser, was all of that for nothing? No. I took a look at it and said, I did that.
Speaker 1: It was great. I don't want to do it anymore. I want to do this thing now.
Speaker 9: So when we start to think about it in terms of not was that all for nothing? But did I get everything out of that that I could have gotten?
Speaker 1: Did I max that out? Is this now time to change?
Speaker 9: That mindset shift can make a big difference too in how we think about leaving a relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right, And that one factor's an a number of things. I look at Okay, well I invested too much, But at some point you look at what you invested, But what are you going to get in the future. I think you almost got to like say, okay, yesterday, that matters tomorrow, that matters happy or not?
Speaker 4: Is that the best way to test that?
Speaker 9: I think that's a really great way to test it. Yeah, because sometimes the relationships that serve us well in one phase of our life don't serve us well in another phase of our life. I work with a lot of couples who would say, when they're being very honest, that they're really good co parents and they're really good at raising kids and managing a life together.
Speaker 3: But once the kids leave.
Speaker 9: The house and they're on their own, they realize they're not great partners. They don't they're not really great mates for each other.
Speaker 3: But for that period of.
Speaker 9: Time in their life that they were building careers and building families.
Speaker 1: They worked really well together.
Speaker 9: So looking forward into the future, they they're.
Speaker 1: Asking themselves, is this who I.
Speaker 9: Want to spend the next thirty, the last thirty or forty.
Speaker 1: Years of my life with?
Speaker 9: And the answer sometimes is yes and sometimes is no. But to your point, when you look forward into the future, is what you've gotten going to give you enough of what you want going forward? Is this relationship going to provide that for you at this point in time in your life? And if the answer is no, then it might be time to look at.
Speaker 1: Nothing to change.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, She's Julie hatters. She here a licensed mental health expert. It is mental health money in the Scotslon show. Why do people stay in unfulfilling relationships? And maybe it's you, maybe it's someone you know. We always know someone who's done that or is going through that, or is about to go through that. And so there's a number of psychological reasons why you stay in something that's no longer working for you, whether it's a romantic relationship, business interest, hell, friendship, something on those lines. First and foremostly mentioned things aren't bad enough. So in a version of the loss, you keep telling yourself, oh, it's not bad yet. In the sun costs fallacy, which actually goes hand in hand in that I've I've arrested so much already that why would I give that up? Because I have all of these things together, which, by the way, you make a great case for having separate bank accounts and financial things when you get in a relationship, right, because that's a big excuse. What a pay if we split up. I got we got a house, we got all these investments, we got this Like, it's I don't have time for that kind of payperwork, separate bank accounts, that's what you're going with Julie.
Speaker 9: Separate bank councer are often a really good idea exactly. And then there's also this idea that we'll regret our decision later, and that's sort of you know better the devil you know than the devil you don't, concept of.
Speaker 1: I know what I've got here.
Speaker 9: I can manage it. It's not great, it's not meeting my needs or making me happy, but I can manage it. What's it going to be like on the other side, What's it going to be like to be single? What's it going to be like to only see my kids part of the time. What's it going to be like to be living in a different place. We're going to have to untangle family relationships, we may have to untangle friendships. What's it going to be like if I lose or miss out on some of that? And we tend to only focus on the potential negatives of those situations, not the potential positives.
Speaker 1: So we tend to focus on what, to your point earlier.
Speaker 9: What we're going to lose, not what we might gain, what delight might be around the corner, but what we're going to miss out on miss part of lose regret and we focus on the negative, and that helps keep us stuck someplace. It isn't really great for us, but isn't as bad as we're projecting that.
Speaker 4: Future to be interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that makes sense to me that you're gonna, well, you know what, I careful, what you wish for, you might just get it. And now the grass is green, the grass isn't greener. What's what's a worse metaphor than the grass is greener? Because people often know those like, well, you know, the grass is always greener. I don't know it might be, and the minute it doesn't work out, you have a regret. How do you deal with that? If you're a person who says, you know, I okay with the comfortable right now. It's not perfect, but my god, it's better than what's out there right now. It almost has to be.
Speaker 4: Are you just kidding yourself?
Speaker 1: Well you might be.
Speaker 9: I mean it's you know, it's never easy to find some people in your life, friends or partners that you want to spend a lot of time with, and being single is differently difficult than being in an unhappy relationship. I wouldn't say it's easier or harder having done both, I would say it's differently difficult. But when you project the negative about the future and can't see the potential positive, and when you focus on it's okay now, but it's not great and nothing that I do is making a difference, then you really do have to do kind of a cost benefit analysis and say it's what I'm getting where I am now good enough to make it worth me not getting what I want and need that I'm missing out on, and to make it worth with me having to put up with what I have to put up with to stay here, and really doing an honest cost benefit analysis with yourself. And the answer might be yes. The answer might be yeah, this is good enough for now, I'll figure it out later. The answer might be Nope, I'm really not happy now, and I'd rather take my chances with something unknown than stay with this unhappy known quantity that I've got in my relationship.
Speaker 4: All right, Any other reasons that people would stand these relationships.
Speaker 1: Well, there are a lots.
Speaker 9: So there's societal pressure, as we've talked about, there's family pressure.
Speaker 1: I've worked with a couple of couples over.
Speaker 9: The years where nobody in their family, either of their families was ever divorced, like nobody was ever divorced, and they were looking at being the first people in their whole families cousins, siblings.
Speaker 1: Who were divorced, and that was a really big.
Speaker 9: Deal religious pressure. I mean, there are some faiths that still take a really hard look at divorce as being a bad thing. People often stay for the kids, and there are mixed reasons for that, or mixed success with that. I guess I would say sometimes that is the best thing to do for the children, if the divorce would be really difficult and the kids might be put in the middle. But sometimes kids actually do better when parents are happier and healthier and working better together than they were when they were married. Kids actually can do better in those situations. So there are many reasons why people would stay. I think we tend to think about staying for the kids, or staying because of faith, or staying for money, But we don't necessarily think about the head games we play with ourselves health to make staying makes sense.
Speaker 1: And so that's why I wanted to talk about this today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the whole religious thing, I mean, that's up to you. If you hold that near and dear to your heart. Then you I'd be very careful when you're dating and getting married. Not so much so with a friendship, because there's nothing biblical about splitting that up if that person is driving you crazy, and so it lived its usefulness and you know, set it free, you let it go.
Speaker 4: Although I will say when it comes to the.
Speaker 2: Cognitive biases and all the things to worry about, explaining to your family and the kid one is interesting too because previous generations is thought, oh my god, you got to stay together for the children.
Speaker 4: The children.
Speaker 2: That was more about societal stigma than it was because kids can sense that you're miserable and that you're not getting along and maybe you're fighting or not talking to each other, and it's very cold in that household. I mean, I don't know what damages kids more of that or that you know, it's my weekend with my kids and then next week in the jewey gunder your kids.
Speaker 4: Which one's worse.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So what we know? All the research indicates so far that healthy marriages are what's best for children. There's no question that that's true. An unhappy marriage is really hard for children, particularly if it's overtly unhappy if it's cold and distant, that's difficult. But if it's overtly unhappy, yelling, arguing, name calling, door slamming. You know the things we think of when we think of a really rocky marriage that's really hard for kids, A pleasant, cooperative, healthy divorce is actually really not all that terrible for children, and an awful, contentious, name calling, terrible divorce is really bad for kids. So kids tend to respond in these situations how the parents are. If the parents are doing.
Speaker 1: Well, the children will generally do well.
Speaker 9: If the parents are not doing well, the children will generally have more problems. And that's whether they're married or they're divorced. So we used to think divorce was terrible for kids. Now we know bad marriages and bad divorces are terrible for kids. Would divorce, a cooperative, pleasant, companionable divorce is actually not that hard.
Speaker 4: For kids, yeach indicator.
Speaker 2: But typically it's about being punitive and vindictive and all these things. Not not always in those kind of relationships, but when marriages break up, it's and a kid get used as chattel, and it's a whole it's a whole thing. It's it can be very, very ugly. You know, back to the one thing you mentioned about, you know, buyer's remorse. Here, grass is always greener. What if I get what I if I leave this person? What happens if I regret it later? How often in your practice, Julie, the people come back and say, Wow, that was a mistake.
Speaker 4: I should have stayed with them.
Speaker 9: Not very often, But I'm going to tell you that partly that's because they've come to see me for therapy and they've come to understand that this relationship was not going.
Speaker 1: To change and become more of what they wanted and needed.
Speaker 9: I think in the general population sometimes that happens that people go through a divorce or a split up or a breakup and they regretted on the back end because they didn't put the work in on the front end to really.
Speaker 1: See if it could be what they wanted and needed.
Speaker 9: So in my practice, not that frequently. In other couples therapists practice, I would say also probably not that frequently, because they're coming to see if the relationship has legs, and they're learning through the work they're doing.
Speaker 6: That it doesn't.
Speaker 9: But I think when people don't try that and they make a decision to split that may not be based on the best possible reasons, or may be based on something that's more about them and less about the relationship, and then they take that into subsequent relationships. The grass wasn't necessarily greener because they brought the grass with them that in that case, sometimes there is regret on the back end. And I have worked with one couple who came to me after having been married, divorcing, and remarrying the same people, and they came to me after that they realized they've made a mistake. They remarried each other, and they came to see me to help me figure out how to make this iteration of their marriage better than the first one.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right, Juliett is sure think everything you need to know about why you stay in unfulfilling relationships, and then that gives you the information to maybe change things. She is at Hey Julie by the way the web. I want to give her a email address here, it's Hey Julie j U L I E D B the letter B connected dot care and that's where she practices. Any questions or maybe topic your future show, I feel fit to reach out and UH, hopefully you feel a little bit better. Maybe there's a situation you can apply this to Julie. All the best things Again, as always, we'll talk next Monday.
Speaker 9: Sounds great, you appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Be well, take care with news.
Speaker 2: In five minutes we've got weather moving in full details seconds away on the Home of the Reds seven hundred w W sincenat.
Speaker 6: Want to be.
Speaker 2: All right Monday morning, Scott's Long Show back on seven hundred WLW. In addition to all the news that's going on here locally and in the rest of the world, one of the big things that's going on.
Speaker 4: That really cemented, I mean it was.
Speaker 2: It was a cornerstone of Trump getting real elected, and of course was what he was going to do about Epstein, the Epstein problem. Justice had probably just dropped the final transh of those files, more than three million pages, two thousand videos, one hundred and eighty thousand images, with the women all redacted from the photos. The men were not unless it was necessary in order to protect the privacy of the women those images. The good news is any member of Congress can request to review the unredacted portions of the file, so there's some transparency there, and there I would say highlights normally, but these are low lights. Pete Schin is here, Peter with Epstein Justice dot com and his mission is to simply get justice for all these women who were victimized over the years by Epstein and his cronies.
Speaker 4: Peter, welcome back.
Speaker 6: How are you. I'm great, Scott, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is it's really hard to read a lot of this stuff. Let me just run through the highlights and I'll fire some questions at you. Bring you up to speed if you're listening to the show this morning. I wanted to know what's in there, and it's probably impossible at this point because it just dropped on Friday. To see three you know, to scan three million pages, two thousand videos, and almost two hundred thousand images, it's going to take some time. But so far, what's come out is that Trump's Commerce secretary of Howard Lutnick, had planned a trip to Epstein's island in twenty twelve, that a thirteen year old girl was forced to perform oral sex on Donald Trump and then he raped her while Juliane Maxwell was present and also present allegedly when the newborn was murdered. Another complaint alleges that calendar girl parties at Trump's mar Lago resort involved genital measurements for children, and expected the House contempt vote against the Clintons after they failed to respond to a subpoena. And you wonder why said, there's info in these files that show that Bill Clinton's staff had numerous communications with Elai Maxwell. He went to his island, Epstein's Island sixteen times. Previous images from the last dump showed him a shirtless and a hot tub with known victim of the known victim. Anyway, Maxwell wrote to a Clinton staffer that she told a tabloid quote, what a super stead you are, and how I have a crush on you, and how you're hung like a horse, and well you get the picture. Hope you don't mind that from Julian Maxwell. And then Bill Gates. Bill Gates slept with Russian girls, got a sexually transmit the disease, and asked for antibiotics so he could secretly slip then to his then wife Melinda so she didn't get an STD And a lot of this stuff was also bankrolled allectly by the Russians and Putin. I think those are all the highlights Pete and that's a lot.
Speaker 8: Well, I laugh, not because any of this is funny, but because it's horrifying, and because it's impossible for the average person, Scott to tell what's true and what's false, particularly when the Justice Department is telling me and you and every other American that there's nothing to see here in these three milien pages, to say nothing of the other three million that haven't been released. And as you say, members of Congress are free to go and look at those other three million pages whenever they'd like. But as a practical matter, you know, it's impossible to go through, virtually impossible for an ordinary human being to go through three million page of documents, to say nothing of the three million that are redacted. It it's not transparency. What it is, God is It's it's transparency through releasing the forest so that there's no way to see any of the trees, because there's so much garbage being poured out here.
Speaker 6: But at the end of the day, what.
Speaker 8: Can be believed out of any of it, Well, what can be believed for sure is that Epstein just is that Jeffrey Epstein moved in a circle of very powerful, well connected and financially lucrative people. In fact, that the top people in the world not only did he move in those circles, but they all admired him, and and that should make everybody sick. These folks that that we think are are you know, uh, these captains of industry, these political leaders, uh and what they what they were was just a discussing child predators.
Speaker 6: If these files are to be believed.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the thing too, is that this is huge stump.
Speaker 2: And again there's an old theory about this, is like, hey, you want information, will just overwhelm you with evidence and there's no way you can sort through it.
Speaker 4: That's kind of an I legal tactic. But these are what we don't know.
Speaker 2: The fact is there could be fake or falsely submitted images or documents or videos. The hardest part here, if not the impossible part, then Pete would be separated incredible evidence from disinformation to dumped this massive right.
Speaker 8: Yes, sir and Scott. The thing is that what's called for here is an investigation.
Speaker 3: And the irony of.
Speaker 8: Releasing three million documents and then saying, well, there's nothing to investigate here, it creates an immediate sense of cognitive dissonance. Where you can't really believe what people are. It's one of these things where it's, hey, do you want to believe your own eyes or what I'm telling you from the reality that if you're telling me that you've got six million documents but nothing to investigate, how is anybody to make sense of that? Seems there's plenty to investigate in six million pages where the files and the amount, there was plenty to investigate before you release a single page. Yeah, and yet what we're being told is that no investigation is necessary because we've unloaded an entire sewers worth of information, unverifiable as it is, onto you.
Speaker 6: And so that's enough and eat.
Speaker 5: Your gruel and like it right?
Speaker 2: Well, Pete, we also saw that there were some Trump allegations that were pretty mind blowing that have now been pulled from the dob DJ website and it says page not found. Doesn't that add just more fuel to the conspiracy fires as well? And then therefore the backlash would be more of a demand for the president to maybe unredact some of the stuff, or be more transparent about what the role was and being more forward about prosecuting people.
Speaker 8: Oh well, that would be an ideal situation, you know. And that is the thing I think that for many people, myself included, is among the the greatest disappointments thus far in this version of President Trump is that I think many of us expected him to take charge of this matter and clear it up. I mean, let's just take everything that the president has said at face value. That he distanced himself from Epstein long before he was ever even convicted of a crime. And let's just take that at face value. Okay, I believe you now do something because this guy that you determined to be more than twenty years ago continued to commit very serious criminal acts. And not only that, but it appears that he involved several other powerful people, and by several other, I mean many many powerful people in his web, including a president of from two administrations. As the files or to be believed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's your price, any thing about that for the Trump you know, diehards and believers. The DOJ said that these aren't founded in false claims are submitted before the twenty twenty election, kind of an October surprise. But here's the problem with that theory is that, Okay, you just released all this information and then you went it's on the webs on the well, now we're going to take it off the web that you know, if there's nothing to worry about, nothing the scene, why pull it from from public.
Speaker 8: View, particularly since there are plenty of allegedly false accusations that you've left out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So no, none, none of it makes sense other than as a tactic to distract from the fact that what's really required to get to the bottom of the rot that is infecting a republic is a no nonsense bipartisan and in fact, I would argue a nonpartisan congressional investigation in which for just five minutes, Congress drops the partisan boxing gloves and comes together to do their congress their constitutionally mandated function of holding the executive branch accountable. Scott, I used to be a liaison from the Secretary of the Air Force to set up appropriators. And here's why I know about the executive branch as a liaison from the executive branch, which is that the executive branch is designed to keep secrets.
Speaker 6: That's what it does.
Speaker 8: The executive branch keeps secrets in order to ensure our national defense and other executive functions that have to be held That means that as a practical matter, the executive branch isn't well equipped to disclose information.
Speaker 6: It is the job of Congress to force.
Speaker 8: The executive branch, to hold the executive branch accountable, and it is Congress's job to do That's what Leo at Epstein Justice want, simply for Congress to do their job. Now, I'm not saying that the law that was passed on November nineteenth has had no effect. Obviously it's forcing the release of these files whole cloth, but it's not what's really required, Scott. What's really necessary is a nonpartisan investigation where we can get some legitimate answers instead of just being dumped this information that prosecutors should investigate.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned they have the job of investigating this, and they won't do it. They also have the main job the Congress has, as you know, is to pass a budget. We haven't had one of those in my lifetime, I think, And right now we have a partial government shutdown. So how's this looking as as as you want and getting stuff done? I say it ain't looking pretty good, Bete.
Speaker 6: I agree with you.
Speaker 8: Good And that's part of the issue, isn't it that at this point in our nation's history, here on the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of our nation's founding, and the system's not working the way it's intended to. There's a lot of reasons for that, but I'm not a political scientist. But what my goal and the goal of everyone at Epstein's Justice is to get the system working as intended for this sole purpose, to protect our children, to bring some justice to the children now women who were abused by Jeffrey Epstein and his powerful cronies, and to prevent our children from being picked up off the streets by billionaires satual desires and then being raped with impunity and without consequence, which is what happened in this case, right, And that's horrifying to think and consider, but.
Speaker 6: It's a fact.
Speaker 2: Peachin from Epstein Justice dot com about the three million pages, the videos, of the hundreds of thousands of images that were released on Friday, and there's some just jaw dropping allegations in here. One of those includes the Clinton's and Clinton said, hey, I never sent emails. We have no idea what's going on. But in this latest trange we found that literally dozens and dozens of emails were exchanged between his staffers and Elaine Maxwell from twenty two thousand and one to two thousand and four that Clinton flew on Epstein's plane at least at least at the minimum sixteen times, and she Maxwell herself was pretty flirtatious in the emails. As I mentioned that, in the fact, there doesn't that email pattern tell us about the nature of these relationships A.
Speaker 8: Dozen indeed, Scott, you know you're What it displays is a familiarity just with Epstein the person, But it displays a familiarity with a.
Speaker 6: Lifestyle, doesn't it.
Speaker 8: This person is in the words of Larry Summer's lush, he's lascivious. People knew all about Jeffrey Epstein, these wealthy people. You know, one thing you might just ask yourself, just asually is how could he consider how could he continue to be banked after he's a convicted sex offender or a registered set offender. Yes, of course these chargers are relatively minor, but nevertheless they're still felonies. How would he continued to be able to be banked by someone like JP Morgan for years after he was a convicted sex offender. Everybody turned a blind eye to his capture, his exploitation, and his sexual assault of children. They turned a blind eye because they had similar proclivities. Okay, maybe they like to wait until they were nineteen or eighteen years in one day, but nevertheless, they understood that Epstein might cross that line, and they didn't care in part because perhaps we don't know they shared his very same criminal prosuvity.
Speaker 3: Sure, if only someone would look into.
Speaker 2: It, which is why we have this standoff. There's nothing to see here, nothing to see here. It's because when it's if it's solely one side or the other, you know, team B goes against team A and vice versa. But when A and B are all involved in the scandal, that's a little bit different, and it goes to show you where the real power is. One thing came out of this, and this has the potential for even bigger scandal. We call an America black mail. The Russians call a compromat with a K, and that is that the allegations involving Bill Gates getting an STD from Russian girls, well Russian we're the Russian girls from him, allegedly supplied by Putin in Russia to Epstein's island with the ideas that now, now we have black mamotill on these people, how likely is that scenario.
Speaker 8: It's as likely as any other scott And in fact it's more likely because what's not very often discussed in America media, but is very often discussed in the British media is the fact that Delaying Maxwell's father, Robert Maxwell, a noted British publisher, was also well known to be a MASAD intelligence agent, an Israeli intelligence agents, and so there's questions about, hey, was Jeffrey Epstein connected to US, Russian, Israeli intelligence?
Speaker 5: All three the CIA, none of them.
Speaker 3: We don't really know.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 8: Historically speaking, I'm a historian in part I have a master's degree in military history. And the fact of the matter is is that historically speaking, our own intelligence services have done such things as fed US citizens LSD and Canadian citizens LSD just to see if they could get a truth serum. That's one of the things that the True Commission revealed in nineteen seventy seven. Supposedly we stomped all of those illicted activities out, but what if we didn't got What if our intelligence agencies are responsible for running a honey pot blackmail slash compliment operation to control our own federal government. It's as likely as a foreign government doing it grankly, and we have no investigation. In fact, what we've been told is that there's nothing to investigate.
Speaker 2: Like a John Clancy, John Grisham, Stephen King novel for crying out loud. And you don't want to think about this, so real quick before I let you go peachin what happens next? You at Epstein Justice are putting tremendous pressure for the guilty to become convicted or at least go to trial, to again fight for justice for these young women who are victimized over the years. Well, you know that that's the optimistic side. What is the reality here, Pete? I mean, is anything going to come with this?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: I believe that.
Speaker 8: Three is gone, and I'll tell you why, Al Suddy. More of has come of this than I could ever have possibly imagined. When I reached out to Epstein Justices director Nick Bryant back in twenty nineteen and said, hey, you know, do you have a can we talk about the Franklin scandal, which was another situation in Omaha that ended very unhappily for everybody who tried to bring a child sex abuse network to justice.
Speaker 6: It didn't work out.
Speaker 8: Everybody walked away and the only people that got punished with the victims that happened in Omaha in the eighties and early nineties. And so Nick and I have been working on this together for years across across both Democrat and Republican administrations. It's a nonpartisan effort. And what happens next is we continue to work on it. We continue to point out that the American people are living in a republic that may well be controlled by intelligence agencies, foreign ornamenttic we don't even know. And we're going to keep working on this until we get not just justice, Scott for the victims, which is of course the most important thing, but it's impossible to get that justice without first getting the truth. And we're going to keep fighting for it until the truth ultimately is revealed.
Speaker 4: Hope.
Speaker 2: So all the best, Peach chinover at Epstein Justice dot com for all the latest click over there, Pete. I'll have you back again soon as a situation Warrens thanks again, brother, appreciate.
Speaker 6: You, appreciate you, Scott, thanks for keeping the word out there.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, take care. Let me get a news update in and this is just horrific news on this Monday morning. We'll switch it up because I need a little something lighter right now.
Speaker 4: How about you.
Speaker 2: The Reds yesterday signing, Yeah, hu Aenio Suarez, Gina is coming back to Cincinnati. A Huenio Suarez is now a Red, adding some much needed power in the middle of that lineup. How it all fits together? Jeff Carr from Lockdown Reds next on seven hundred WLW Scott slunha.
Speaker 4: Sloany here, seven hundred w old editor.
Speaker 2: Never mind the deep, deep deep freeze we're in right now and have been for a week in the foreseeable future. Never mind about the snow moving in tomorrow. Let's talk about something warmer, and that is Red's baseball coming up. We kind of threw the town said I'm not going to get anybody. They're not gonna get anybody. Sure enough, the Reds do a deal finalized yesterday, Iohanneo Suarez, the former Red comes back home one year, fifteen million dollar deal, club option for twenty our mutual option, I should say for twenty twenty seven. So far, looks like he's the best free agent bat still available because you couldn't afford the big boys, and any Suarez should ad some meat to the middle of that order. Joining the show with Lockdown Reds Podcast. The only daily Reds podcast is Jeff car Jeff, welcome back. Good to have you, buddy.
Speaker 5: How are you welly. It's great to be back, Great to be talking some baseball. And oh my gosh, I warmed up so much on Sunday evening.
Speaker 4: Last night it broke They traded him, and what was it?
Speaker 2: I think in March of twenty twenty two he was crying saying, you know, maybe I'll finish here and now he's back. You know, I think some fans may look at it go well, if you wait long enough, you get you know, he went Suarez coming back in the twilight of his career perhaps, and that's more of a hey, let's bring back somebody more familiar, as opposed to going and getting someone who could really wind up getting a pennant or dare I say, a World Series trophy.
Speaker 4: So what does this all mean.
Speaker 2: It's a good fit, clearly he was here before, but is this just simply hey, this is the best we can afford right now?
Speaker 4: And it's more about nostalgia than his production.
Speaker 5: There's a very weird cross section that the Reds are running into with this and that, yes, he is the best that they can afford, but honestly, he's a really good upgrade. We're talking about a dude that, between Arizona and Seattle last year hit forty nine home runs and had over one hundred and ten rs. I think he had one hundred and eighteen specifically, and he slugged over five hundred. No regular Reds player did that. You have to like separate out guys that played in like thirty games or something like that to say, okay, well he had a really good slugging percentage. There's a lot of singles hitters on this lineup. Last year, while the idea was to keep the line moving forward, that idea produced a very mid offense. The Dolphins wasn't horrible. The lineup was not horrible last year, but the lineup also wasn't good. And if you just have a slightly above average lineup, you can reduce the kind of runs that this pitching staff that is absolutely October ready can really back up strongly. And so you bring in au Haneo Suarez to protect Elie de la Cruz and you slot him in right behind him, whether that be in the three spot of the four spot, and the rest of the lineup begins to make sense. You don't have to force a square peg into a round hole and put Spencer Steer or Tyler Stevensoner or even force south Stewart into the cleanup spot prematurely. You can let those guys be those guys other spots on the lineup, while you have this veteran dude who was coming here to do one Thing's loney. He's coming here to hit danyers yep, and he's been pretty good at doing that.
Speaker 2: Pretty good at that, don't him for his defense? Not really a good third base, third basement. I may I got a pinch, Maybe you can play. Uh does it concern you the highest strikeout rate.
Speaker 5: Now, because that's the game today, and that's something that other people had talked about. Between strikeout rates and between batting average is the only hit two twenty eight last year as far as the game itself, that's just how everything has moved. The league average batting average last year was two forty one, so he was still slightly below it, but he wasn't like egregiously below it as we would have seen in years past that that two twenty eight mark means. So the line is kind of moved when it comes to those things. But he is an extra base hitting machine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got the improved bullpen, he got depth in the outfield, and now you've got a guy in the middle of the order that can really help out. You mentioned protecting La de la Cruz. Joey Vado when he played with him, said he was the best teammate ever, and now it is a veteran he comes back to Cincinnati, and I think that's another thing he provides because clearly somebody like Ellie needs a little direction and needs a little guidance and made he's the guy to get in the clubhouse and do that.
Speaker 5: Overall. Absolutely, like I feel like at Reds Fest, they're really pumped up Matt McClain to make him sound as though he's one of the leaders of this ball club. But I think that au Haanio Suarez, no matter who you deem, is the current leader to the ball club. Auan Suarez is going to come in and fit right in with that dude. It's been said no matter where he has played ever since he left the Reds, they've all loved him. I mean, Seattle wanted to back this offseason. Arizona at least approached it a little bit. But Arizona's kind of in a weird spot where it's like there's a sort of contending sort of not but everybody sings his praises as far as the clubhouse guy goes, and he brings the sort of value to that that you can't measure with the numbers, and I think that that in and of itself will provide plenty of value for.
Speaker 2: This Yeah, in as far as injuries, you don't have to worry as much because he'd be solding in a DHRL.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: I think there's going to be just like a sprinkling of time first base here in spring training to see if that's something he can do. And there's going to be just the inklean of time at third base. But they have key Brian Hayes over there, right, which, now that you have a guy that can mash in the DH spot, you can stomach of it on like hitting third basement a little bit more. I think that this move all around, like we've been critical all off season on the lockdown Reds podcast of what the front office has been doing. But this was the move to flip that narrative, and now it feels like the Reds have had a very good off season, even though it took two months to get to this.
Speaker 2: Right right, He's Jeff Carr with Lockdown regis Only Daily Reds podcast. Of course, the big news dropping late yesterday is the fact that the former Red A Huanu Suarez, is bringing his bats some forty nine home runs to Great American Ballpark, adding some meat to the heart of the order, which is certainly going to cause a lot of Reds fans waking up this morning to be joyful and getting ready for the snow to melt the temperatures go up in baseball. Back at GABP, the Reds are projected to have Jeff only I think three million left before they hit their payroll ceiling. They slined Souarez to fifteen no salary dumps. For those who are critical, maybe like yourself, of the Reds and their spending, does this change? Does this look like they change their philosophy?
Speaker 4: Someone I saw that.
Speaker 5: Charlie Goldsmith reported last night that according to sources, the Reds don't have to make a move to quote, you know, afford this. They are making an effort to finally put together a winner and spend what it takes to do that. And now that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to go out and throw three hundred million dollars at the free agent list, but they know that there's a couple of supplemental areas that they can make this team better. And we've been saying it all off season two that it's like, you don't have to rebuild the lineup, you just have to bring in a bopper, because the bopper is what makes this lineup makes sense. They don't have that guy currently, and while south Stewart could very well develop into that guy, I think it's stuper wise and a very big deviation from who their character has been over the last already plus years that the Reds are not saying, well, yes, that's what we're betting on. We're betting on some unproven guy to come in here and prove it. They're gonna say, yeah, sure he can prove it, but we also have a proven guy that can back him up. But I think that this this has been such a shift, this one move, that I don't necessarily believe was going to happen until some things fell into place because the markets moved in such a way, like reportedly the Boston Red Sox were looking to sign the you Hani as far as the Pittsburgh Pirates had noted, like reported that they were going to match or beat any offer that the Reds had, and Gino was like, nope, I'm going to Cincinnati. So I think there was a little bit of familiarity in there and a little bit of he just wasn't getting the offers he wanted, and so he's like, let me go back to the place that I already hit forty nine at Let's see if we hit fifty nine or sixty nine. Who that man here?
Speaker 3: And then we'll see what they pay me next year?
Speaker 4: Okay? And that brings up the next question.
Speaker 2: And then Jeff is because he's doing one year, fifteen million, a mutual option for twenty twenty seven, So okay, fifteen MILLI season. Initially I thought I saw that he was projected to get a two year minimum two year deal a forty five million, So he's living a lot of money on the table. What does that tell is a tremendous value or is it a concerned to the market collapse. I mean, if all these teams are after him, why do we only get him for fifteen?
Speaker 5: A guy with his type of profile Sloani like, thinking just specifically in terms of the player, is probably looking for his final dealer of his career, and he wasn't getting that. He wasn't getting the kind of offer that he's like, all right, I can hang my hat here and then, you know, make sure that this is good to go and at the end of my career I can be happy about this. I think he was probably getting that two year deal where he probably won in three or four, because you're right, I saw lots of twenty four twenty five million dollars a year. I did at one point see somebody project a three year deal for twenty million per The fact that the Reds got him at fifteen is just so phenomenal, and it's the kind of deal that as I look around the league and I look at the coverage that other teams have pretty much every team. I even saw something about the Mets that they're just like boy, looking at the Jorgey Polanco deal that the New York Mets signed early on in the off season, that looks pretty bad now with Ayu Hami Osuarez signing what he did, So like everybody is invious of the Reds? Is that right to say? Can I say yeah, to say that people are envious of the Reds and an off season, Oh.
Speaker 2: You got a thirty four year old DH and but you know one year deal is like that. That's a no brain risk, no risk, no risk.
Speaker 5: And that's the one thing that I've always wondered about Nick Krawl is that can he make that big risky move? But if there's moves like this that are available that aren't risky, how can you blame a guy for not going too crazy on the risk department?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the other concern I mentioned the batting average too, But you know you got to get past the Dodgers. It all runs through the Dodgers.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm not going to be dismissive of the Cubs and the Brewers at this point or anyone in the division, but we saw what they did last season. Arguably a much better team now than they were in October. Not only was Suarez, what they've done with a bullpen and everything else, and is what sub three hundred on base percentage is concerning for a guy they're expecting these.
Speaker 4: Kind of results out of.
Speaker 2: But I look at it go you know, the Dodgers struck out the Reds what fifty four times in four games, and Chavez ravine this doesn't really.
Speaker 4: Help that.
Speaker 5: The strikeout part is something that I don't necessarily worry about because he can change the game with one swing, just because I feel like it's the power game that the Reds have missed. The idea that the rally can be built is always a good thing, But at some point you run into a picture like Yamamoto who is absolutely dealing, and you need that guy that with one swing.
Speaker 6: In the back can change the game.
Speaker 5: And we know that Gino can do that. So I mean I ordinarily, looking at a guy with a sub three hundred on base percentage, you kind of going yeah, right, yeah. So I don't blame you there for thinking that. But I am just absolutely over the moon about the five twenty eight plugging percentage and the fact that the isolated power statistic that a lot of folks like to use because it's the slugging percentage minus the batting average. The idea of separating the extra he sits out from the singles his career isolated powers to eighteen. There was no regular reds hitter last year over two hundred. That's how much better than everyone else in this lineup he was at getting those extra bases.
Speaker 2: Right right, And now you've got some little more flexibility and a lineup two on the other side of the thing, and primarily at the age as you mentioned salth Stewart at first, Spencer Steart left. There's there's a lot of flexibility there because you still got guys like Hayes and Benson.
Speaker 5: And that's a very underrated part of this move because up until Augenio Suarez signed, you can maybe squint at the lineup and be like, twell, all right, but the bench, oh my gosh, I don't even know what the plan was there. But now today eu Haeneo Suarez is here. You used the positional versatility of both south Stewart and Spencer Steer, where one can play in the outfield, one can play pretty much every infield spot. And you know South Sport also losing twenty six pounds from last year. Your last image of him on the field in a Red's uniform, it's gonna look a lot different on opening day because dude's trimmed down and he's ready to go. So I feel like this both improved the starting lineup and the bench just simply because of how it changes the role of guys like Steer and Stewart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I like my sales Stewart thick and chunky.
Speaker 3: I mean, I didn't tell it, guys.
Speaker 5: It makes me feel like I could fit into his uniform AND's done a whole lot of players that I feel that way.
Speaker 4: That's the guy. He's like, you know, it's like he's the every guy guy. I like Sales Stewart that way, and not enough Mike Ford's in this world the man. Come on, Yeah, I appreciate it, right right, He's like that.
Speaker 2: Gives us all hope all you know, you get that little thick Middlesex. It's like, hey, he's a baseball player, as John Cruxa. Lady, I'm not an athlete. I'm a baseball player. So yeah, I mean, there is now hope in Red. So it's amazing how signing a Suarez has changed the hope's dreams and desires of regination and one fell swoop and they did it pretty much on the cheap at this point. Now, I know the payroll you go back to that they're twenty twenty five pro. I think it is one nineteen hundred and nineteen million. Is this a new trend do you think? Or again, it's always hard to read with one player, But is it a one is it a one off because it's Juarez or do you just see them going, hey, you know what, we're close, let's get closer.
Speaker 5: I still think it's it's the close let's get closer that I'm willing to buy into that feeling. Albeit that's not been something that we've seen from this organization over the years. I understand that. But the signing of ating of Sours could have easily been something that they're like, you know what, we don't need. There's these other guys that are a tier below him and a lot cheaper than him, and we can go bring that guy in. And that's what they do. That's what they have done my entire life is what it feels like. But I saw a comparison to a great one year stent of a red in Greg Vaughan that somebody made for the se u Haano Suarez deal. And if that's what that turns into, then hopefully they can just build on that further because there's a lot of dead money in Jammercandelario coming off the book next year that is currently on the books this year. So there's a belief that this could continue. But at the same time, they know they've got their stars on the cheap. The core is cheap right now, so let's go ahead and supplement that core with a couple of guys like this. And I've been saying it all off season. If it just made this one move, I would feel better about things. Could they make more moves and I'd feel even better better than Yes. Absolutely, But at this point, if they hadn't have made the Suarez deal, I'd have been like, well, the off season was something, and they made the bullpen better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they still have a glaring hole.
Speaker 5: In the lineup.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't think that any Yeah, and you got Tito running this whole thing, so you're worried about guys getting time. He figures that out, which is awesome. You've got your bullpennis set now, as you said, the road starting rotation is good.
Speaker 4: The outfield we've got depth, You've got a hitter.
Speaker 2: You know, if if the hoping dream was to make the playoffs for the first time in forever, and they did that last year, got swept of course by LA. You'd expect now a little bit more pressure going, Okay, we're in, we spent more, Can we get to the next round? Can we continue to win more games and do better in the postseason and not get you know, not get eliminated in a handful of games? And that was awful, right, I mean, it was just awful. They just got absolutely hammered by the DIY. I just wanted to win World Series. So if you're gonna lose, list to the champions, but you want to be the champions, and this gives a little more hope.
Speaker 4: He's Jeff Carr at the Lockdown Reds.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you're gonna head out to the spring training as you're writing about now, getting the bags packed, I would think. And so we'll chat check with you from time to time out and out in Arizona. Jeff all the best man. Look for to chatting again the season.
Speaker 5: So appreciate you all right on that.
Speaker 2: We've got Willie on the way in just a few minutes, and so much going on in the world, including the ice, the snow, the storm coming tomorrow, I'll keep you all updated here on the Home of those Reds.
Speaker 4: Seven hundred W. Dobody, Cincinnati,