Speaker 1: An exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Angels getting set for first pitch in Tempe, Arizona, and we're joined right now by a man in his first major league or second major league camp with the Dodgers. Had an incredible season at Triple A, won the PCL Player of the Year, and that's Ryan Ward. Did I get all that right, Ryan Ward? Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty close? Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, excited for it.
Speaker 2: What's it like this camp for you after having the season that you did and being put on the forty man roster and now certainly on everybody's radar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'm just coming in and continuing to do what I do, get better at little things, work hard every day and then and try to take full advantage of the opportunities and have fun with it.
Speaker 2: In this area of the Dodger Clubhouse in spring training, a little bit different real estate than what you're used to. What's it like having two catchers as your lockermates, Stalton Rushing and Will Smith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I got both of them around me, so I try to take up his little space as I can. You know, they both got a ton of gear over here and all that catcher stuff, So try to try to just come in when when there's an opening and take up a little space. But it's awesome. I mean, having a good relationship with a lot of these guys and building more as we keep going is important to me and and just trying.
Speaker 2: To build on that. What's it like for you being at Triple A last year, having the season that you had last year and the Dodgers recognizing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's cool. You know, I'm really proud of of the year I was able to put together. And it's honestly it's because of them, the staff here, the developmental strength, everybody, you know, putting putting the plans in front of me and helping me get to the spot that I got to. So, like I said, just kind of continuing to build on that and make and grow as a player and keep going.
Speaker 2: What was the biggest leap you took last year? What was it that made Ryan Ward the PCL Player of the Year.
Speaker 1: You know, I think it was a lot of approach based stuff. I used to be kind of a free swinger and really trying to hone in on on certain pitches and certain spots as I was going at back to a bat, pitcher to pitcher and ended up putting myself into better counts chase less and ended up getting into more hitter counts where it just put me in a better spot to do some damage.
Speaker 2: How did you recognize that, did you go to the video more or what was the balance that you you changed to be a more discipline hitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I used to kind of go in the box. I always made the joke when when I get in the batter's box, I'm called a hitter, not a walker. So like I would go up there and just swing it, swing it everything, and you know, just just trying to hone in on one one area, Like I'm going to dominate this area if you if you throw sam looking in that day, if you throw three heaters away, like okay, like I gotta tip my cap. But like when you if you come in here, I'm gonna I'm gonna do some damage on it because that's the one spot I'm hunting for. So staying committed to that was was something that was very helpful for me and led to the year I had.
Speaker 2: Ryan Ward is our guest in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Angels starting the Cactus League schedule. Ryan, hitting is so hard these days. I've heard Freddy Freeman talk about what it was like when he broke in to hit compared to what you guys are facing these days. So does it come down to with how nasty guys are to really key in on your zone?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely, you know, and I think that that was a huge jump for me last year. I mean because like you said, everything pictures are getting better and better. Stuff's getting better and better, so so really going up with a plan and trying to dominate your plan. The big thing for me last year was was get out the way that I want to get out. I'm not gonna get out on the pictures terms, and with the better stuff and better stuff that's coming, you really got to stay committed to that. You know, if I'm gonna get out, I wanted to be on my terms. I don't want you to be the one who gets me out.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like this spring you have more confidence about yourself and not trying to prove every single swing that you belong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'm gonna I mean, I'm not gonna take it easy. I'm gonna get my a swings off. But yeah, I think that this year coming in is all more comfortable. Like I said, I have relationships with a lot of the guys now over the past couple of years, been able to get to know them and them get to know me, and just put you in a lot more comfortable spot. Starting to know all the staff around. Everyone knows who I am, so it's really cool.
Speaker 2: That's great, Ryan, thanks a lot for the time. Congratulations on putting in the work and reaping the benefits of that, and we look forward to seeing you at Dodger Stadium this year.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I'm excited for it too,