Speaker 1: The following takes place between six pm and seven pm.
Speaker 2: You want answers. I think I'm entitled.
Speaker 3: You what answer the truth?
Speaker 2: You can't handle the truth?
Speaker 4: True?
Speaker 5: True?
Speaker 2: Oh man, here we go six oh eight, seven hundred WLW Welcome in on a Friday night where we got three full hours Arnel Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm Lance McAllister. If you can't tell I am fired up for what is about to unfold. We've got so much to get to. What do you say? I take care of some headlines that we can go. We start with the Bengals. Player personnel director Duke Tobin met with the media today armed with a note. Paddy spoke for just over an hour. Reaction from beat writer Mike Petrolia trags coming up at six point twenty, and then your reaction after that. NFL playoffs kick off this weekend six wildcard games. The Browns have requested an interview with Argers defensive coordinator Jesse Minter for their head coaching job. He's the son of the former UC coach Rick Minter. The Browns interviewed Bengals offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher earlier today. The Ravens interviewed former Browns coach Kevin Stefanski today for their head coaching opening. He'll be acquiziting all this a little bit later. On college football playoff semi final action Tonight, Indiana and Oregon in the Peach Bowl from Atlanta, kickoff seven point thirty on ESPN fifteen to thirty. How about that game last night? Holy Cal Four Bearcats get invited to the NFL scouting Combine tight end Joe Royer, defensive tackle Dante Corleone, linebacker Jake Golday, wide receiver Jeff Caldwell. How about this note from Justin Williams of the Athletic Brendan sooresby former UC quarterback Owes. You see one million dollars stemming from a buyout in his NIL contract. Earlier this week he signed with Texas Tech for a deal reportedly worth summer in the neighborhood of five to five plus million dollars. College basketball Tonight, the NKAU Norris on the road to take on Milwaukee and a rise in league action. Jim Kelch and Rick Brewering have it at eight on ESPN fifteen thirty. Miami tries to get the seventeen to oh Travis Steele's RedHawks are at Toledo, the one hundred and forty first meeting between the two programs. Miami one of just six teams still undefeated in the country. Wright State is at Detroit Mercy. More on the college basketball front with the Kelsey Chevallet College Basketball Weekend preview. Later on in hockey, the Cyclone skating at Fort Wayne tonight. All right, the story of today is Duke Tobin. Trags is gonna check in with reaction in about nine minutes. Let me give you the setup to this, maybe an appetizer for our conversation. Here's about a two minute we'll call it the two minute drill. But Duke Tobin part of his opening comments today here is Duke.
Speaker 6: It goes without saying, this season is not what we expect, certainly not what we will accept. And everybody here knows that it was frustrating, it was challenging, it was disappointing for all of us, but more importantly, it was all those things for our fans. We feel that that weighs on us. It hurts us because we know that they have high expectations for us. We embrace those high expectations. Believe me, we have high expectations for this football team as well. We didn't meet those expectations. The group we put out there did not fulfill those expectations.
Speaker 2: So it motivates us.
Speaker 6: It really motivates us to be better, to put a group out there that will make the city proud, that will finish games. We have a lot of work to do this offseason. We are aware of that. We're motivated for it, we're excited about it. We have a football team that has some challenges that we've got to solve, But beyond that, we have a football team that has a lot of positives to build on and a lot of things we're proud of and a lot of reasons for optimism. So those are things that we're excited about. We just have to this offseason. It's going to be all about the who's doing it, the what they're doing, and how they're doing it. That's the focus. I really believe in the group that we have here. I've been here a long time. I don't take this job lightly. I don't take it for granted. It's the only job I've wanted. It's what I've chosen to do with my life. This team is part of my fabric I wake up with the singular focus of how to make this team better.
Speaker 7: It's what I do.
Speaker 6: It's a part of who I am in the city that is my home. It hurts when we're not representing the city the way that we need to. I think we're capable of it. I'm confident. I think there's great days ahead for our football team. There's a lot of work to do. We're motivated to do it, We're excited to be here.
Speaker 7: To do it.
Speaker 2: Duke Tobin earlier today opening comments, I saved you having to listen to him. Patty's players on the back for the energy in which they played with and how engaged they were once they were eliminated from the playoffs, which I just I simply do not understand how that has become a go to for so many coaches, managers, and executives in this city, applauding their players for playing hard. The only time the effort should be mentioned is when it's lacking. I just don't get it. It's just the start of getting me fired up tonight. Up next Trags checks in, I'll ask him what he made of today, the things that stuck out in his mind, and then I'll get your reaction around the corner. Hey, thanks for being here. The weekend is here. We made it to have some fun. It's RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. Seven hundred WLW seven hundred WLW. We are up and running on a Friday night of ARNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. Very excited to welcome in. My first guest covers the Bengals for CLNS. See with they dot com, host of the Jungle Roar podcast on YouTube. He's already dropped today's latest episode. It's an excellent listen. That would be the man we call Trags. Mike Petrolia. Mike, you were there. Let's start broad and then we'll narrow it down. Give us your general reaction to the sixty three minutes or so with Duke Tobin.
Speaker 8: Wow, that's a loaded question, Lamb. Well, I guess my general reaction is good on the Bengals to make him available. It was a very performative and perfunctory press conference.
Speaker 2: What do I mean by that?
Speaker 7: I think it was there.
Speaker 8: I think it was held so that Duke Tobin could show his faith on behalf of the front office and ownership and give their perspective on what happened this past year. It was also a pr ploy and an intelligent pr ploy to offer some sympathy to the incredibly frustrated fan base. That is why you heard Duke Tobin say multiple times that they are disheartened by Bengal fans being disheartened and that they are all about trying to change the narrative by dedicating themselves to improving the roster this offseason. But when it comes to the nuts and bolts, the x's and o's of how they're going to go about it, the people making those decisions aren't going to change. You're not going to have any additions to the scouting department, You're not going to have any additions to the Pro Football operations staff, the one that does the evaluations in free agency, for instance, Duke Tobin is not going to hire an assistant or two to help him evaluate talent.
Speaker 2: Going to do that.
Speaker 8: And what I was left with is feeling like, well, they're just going to run it back with the same people. And at the very end of the sixty three minutes, we got an insight to what he meant by that, and that is that the technique of what they do. This offseason is going to be a little bit different, meaning the personnel and the scouting department are going to try and tweak what they do. The coaching staff is going to come back with different schemes, and there's going to be a little bit of emphasis on the players to do their jobs better. That's what I was left with in tragues.
Speaker 2: When it comes to why we should believe they can fix this, the go to answer seems to be because we've done it before, and I think that weaves a lot of fans shaking their hands. Well, year's why it does.
Speaker 8: What happened in nineteen eighty one, what happened in nineteen eighty eight? What has happened so far after twenty twenty one? All three of those years that I just mentioned, of course were Super Bowl years. Well, within three years the team was headed down the slide to oblivion. Now in eighty eight they made it back after seven years and fine, But in three more years after eighty eight, what happened? They went into the dark, dark ages of Bengal football and they've been to the playoffs lance twice in ten years. Skinny on my podcast also mentioned that, and he was the one who asked Duke today, Well, you've been to the playoffs just twice in ten years. Why should any fan believe that you're capable of turning things around you and your staff? And Duke again came back with the answer, We've done it before. I believe in the p people we have in the building. Well, you may believe in the people you have in your building, but your fan base doesn't and the results aren't there. And he mentioned many times today Lance that the effort and the dedication of the coaching staff and the young players is exceptional. Well, that's great, and you see improvement in the young players terrific. Where's the production and the NFL, as is any major league sport, professional sport, it's all about production, and the Bengals production the last three years has been very poor. Last year they had a winning record, but they were nine and eight, Lance, they were four and eight with Joe Burrow starting all twelve of those games, and of course he started all seventeen. There's a serious fundamental flaw in the players that are being put around Joe Burrow, certainly on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 2: And you alluded to the scale outing aspect of all this and he really doubled down on the fact that despite we all know how small the department is, his belief that they have all the information they need.
Speaker 8: They believe that they would rather have fewer voices contributing to the pie, if you will, fewer chefs making the meal, because too many chefs ruin the meal. And they have believed that for forty forty five years, Lance, and it's not going to change now it is.
Speaker 2: I get still worked up over this. I got to take a breath. He also mentioned finishing in the big aspect of being not able to finish games, and yet is he what's frustrating to me trags? While he pointed out the troubles finishing this year, they had troubles finishing last year and it wasn't fixed.
Speaker 8: So it just that's not a costumeist land comment. It's a land Yes, what is the natural logic deduction you take from that? Well, if you can't finish games, it's coaching. So I interrupted Duke, and I said, well, Duke, you know what that means. It means that falls at the feet of Zach and his coaching staff. What do you think of them? And then he went into this flowery commendation and praise of Zach Taylor, and I agree, having covered Zach Taylor now for five full seasons, he's one of the brightest football people I have ever been around.
Speaker 7: But that doesn't mean.
Speaker 8: Necessarily he's a good head coach and a situational coach, especially at the end of games. What did Duke point out this afternoon, specifically, we have losing DNA at the end of games. Players make too many mistakes. They don't wrap up on tackles like Jordan Battle at the end of the Bears game. He pointed that game out specifically today, which really means to me that game stuck in his crawl. And you know, as much as the Browns game was a microcosm of the season, that Bears game ticked everybody off in the organization. And I'm sorry, but you've got to have better coaching to teach the technique. Jordan Battle is not a rookie and he, as much as Duke Tobin pointed him out as perhaps one of the cornerstones of the defense going forward, You've got to be much much better if you're.
Speaker 7: Jordan Battle going forward.
Speaker 8: And I think it's up to the coaching staff to take a long, hard look at how they're going to get Jordan Battle to be more productive, because right.
Speaker 2: Now I don't think I see it drags. It seems pretty clear based on what he said and how many times he referenced it. An emphasis will be on improving, upgrading that defensive line and pressure on the quarterback.
Speaker 8: Yep, he's all about pressure in the quarterback. He said that a couple of times this afternoon. Lance that you got to get after the quarterback. And rebuilding the defense to Duke Tobin means rebuilding along the defensive line. And he mentioned by name in twenty twenty one and in twenty twenty DJ Reader and Larry Ogin Jobi, and he needs to go back to the drawing now. DJ Reader is a free agent this year, but he's not the same player he was five years ago. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. But Duke Tobin and his personnel staff have to go out in free agency, spend the limit and find those players that they sailed to.
Speaker 7: Find last year.
Speaker 2: Sixty three minutes, approximately forty seven questions asked you are the president of the Cincinnati chapter of the Pro Football Writers' Association of America. Were you happy with the execution of the group today. I thought it was an impressive performance.
Speaker 9: I was.
Speaker 8: I mean, that's a lot of questions to be asked, and it is a logistical challenge, to say the least, to give the Beet people their proper opportunities to ask questions. Myself, Paul Danner, Junior, Richard Skinner, James Rapine, Kelsey Conway, who did a fabulous job today, had three questions actually typed up so that when she had her opportunity, she got all three questions in. But also it was an opportunity, as I said, this was performative for TV folks to get all their questions in, and I thought, given how lumbering.
Speaker 9: Environment this is.
Speaker 10: I think it was.
Speaker 8: I think it was held pretty well. And here's what I was happy about. It never got to the point where somebody was show voting and trying to show up Duke, because what I was concerned about going in is there's a lot of raw emotion from the fan base and a lot of reporters got questions like for comments and dms, we're counting on you, We're counting on you, And yes, we definitely felt the obligation to ask the questions that needed to be asked for the fans, but you have to do it in a manner where it's respectful to Duke Tobin, and I thought it was.
Speaker 7: I thought it came off.
Speaker 2: Very well in that regards.
Speaker 7: And one more thing, one more.
Speaker 8: Thing, good on Duke Tobin to take time out at the very beginning to you know, send out sympathy to Jay Morrison, who I think we all know now has been through hell and he lost his wife obviously, Nikki. And for Duke Tobin to you know, start the press conference, I actually think it was good because kind of kept everything in perspective.
Speaker 2: So good on Duke.
Speaker 7: For doing that.
Speaker 2: Treggs, You've had a busy day and you were all over this. Tell listeners how they can watch, read and follow.
Speaker 7: Sure we have.
Speaker 8: The reactions and my takeaways up on the X at Trags t r ags clns since with a y dot com.
Speaker 2: We'll have a column.
Speaker 8: Up later today, later tonight or tomorrow, and the Jungle War Podcast with Richard Skinner is up on YouTube dot com at Jungle War Pod. My apologies in advance. My sound is a little low, so you might have to type me up just a little bit.
Speaker 7: When I'm talking.
Speaker 2: Treg's final thought and I'm late for news, but I wanted to publicly thank you for your weekly, year long contributions to the Roundtable Show. You made our show better. Your appearances are much appreciated. We look forward to doing again next year, and I hope I can bug you before then.
Speaker 7: You got it, Lance anytime?
Speaker 2: Thank you. There you go, Mike Petralia trags. All right, well we come back. My thoughts, your thoughts, let's say, exchange ideas. RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW six forty seven hundred WLWRNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm Lance Pacalister, your host, Russ Jackson, your producer. We thank you for being our listeners. Tonight, hang out, have some fun, got Bengals early. We will add in the off the beaten pat topic We'll have some fun with in the eight o'clock hour tonight. How about this update college basketball? My goodness, Miami the RedHawks on the road tonight against Toledo. There's two minutes left in the first half. Miami has dropped fifty one on Toledo. Toledo entered unbeaten in the mac Miami is leading fifty one thirty three two minutes to go in the first half, the RedHawks trying to get to seventeen and oh on the season. More on the Kelsey Chevrolet College Basketball Weekend preview. In a bit my Twitter question at Lance Pacalister after Duke's news conference today was were you satisfied with what you heard from Duke Tobin right now? That is running eighty one percent to eleven percent? Eighty one percent saying no, eleven percent saying yes, What say you? Here's what I say, Try to decide what order to do it and how not to lose my mind or to have my pacemaker fire. I just find it incredible how much this organization leans into because they've done it before as the reason why something will get fixed this time. Why do we why should we believe it can get fixed because we've done it before. Boy, if I had a dollar for every time Zach referenced twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two and back to back. Well, this, as far as I know, is twenty twenty six. And what I don't get is defaulting to because we've done it before and skipping right past the fact they didn't do it this year or last year or the year before, and skipping right past the fact they haven't done it in eight of the last ten years. Who stands on the principle and the talking point of it'll get fixed because we've done it before, when it hasn't been done three years in a row at eight of ten Zach's One of Zach's favorite lines is because we're and we're all accountable for this. Hell, who's accountable? Duke's coming back, Zach's coming back, the assistants are coming back. So how's it gonna get better? Well, we've done it before, but through osmosis. I don't even know what to say to that anymore. We're all accountable, says Zach. Show me who's been accountable for anything? And Duke said today, Well, reason to believe it'll get fixed is because we've done it before. Well, what year do you think you might be able to get it fixed? Because for three straight years you've tried and haven't gotten it fixed. Because we've done it before isn't a logical answer. It's just an arrogant answer, and it just kills me. I'm gonna take it. I'm gonna pass out. It's only six forty three. Let me get you to what Duke said today about scouting, because that was certainly near the top of everybody's list, talking about scouting and the state of the scouting department smallest in the league, and how he feels about the scouting department. Here's Duke talking about his scouting department earlier today.
Speaker 6: Our scouting staff, in my opinion, is it is the size that it is because I think the collaboration is.
Speaker 2: Better at that size.
Speaker 6: We have never lacked for information on a player. There's never been a player selected that we didn't know anything about. There's never been a player selected that we didn't have multiple reports at large background on. It's not about the volume of information we have. If we make a mistake, it's because at the decision point we made the wrong decision. But it wasn't because we didn't have information on the player. We have information, and we have plenty of opinion on the player, you know, and we've.
Speaker 2: Made a lot of good picks.
Speaker 6: I get that people are don't believe we've made any good picks. We've made a lot of good picks on our current roster, on past rosters, and there will be more on future rosters. I really believe that.
Speaker 2: I'm going to pass out. So your follow up is the obvious follow up. Wait a minute, what did you just say? And that was the exact follow up. He got to listen to this.
Speaker 8: Just to clarify from earlier, there is no plan as of right now to expand the scouting department this offseason.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 6: This offseason? No, We're right into it right now. There's a lot of work that's been done. Our guys are great. We have fantastic scouts. They work in every area. They are well known around college football, around pro football, and they give us what we need.
Speaker 2: I'm already exhausted. Imagine saying you have all the information that is out there and that's needed when it comes to the draft. When you have the smallest scouting department in the NFL, about a third of the average size compared to the rest of the league, more eyeballs on players offers a more rounded view of players, allowing for cross checking of players, allowing UH to see them on good days and bad days. It's just that stuff is just imagine thinking you are so smart that you can scout and evaluate players with one third the size of the scouting department of the NFL average. That's what they are saying. We have all the information we need, despite the fact the league average is much high, and despite the fact we have the smallest scouting department, we have all the information we need. Imagine the level of arrogance it takes to believe you can operate that way at one third the size of everybody else. Oh, we have great guys in that scouting department, he said, yeah, Well, could you point out the ones who who scouted and recommended Jermaine Burton? Could we could we bring up to the front the evaluators of Jackson Carmen, my daughter who's twenty three, who runs a couple of Fantasy Football League teams. My daughter could have selected Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase. This team is in the position they are in because they don't draft well enough. And it is just the height of arrogance to believe that the smallest scouting department has all the bases covered, all the information they need. Well, if that's the case, why would all the other teams have so many more scouts? Are are they the dumb ones?
Speaker 11: Me?
Speaker 2: Why would teams have so many more scouts? I guess they are. They're they're just dumb. They're they're not a smart as the Bengals look at us. We can do it with with a six person scouting department. It just I just I just want to take a hammer to my head. I need to take time out. I'm gonna hyperventilate your turn as we continue. I've carved out from here until along about maybe seven thirty or so. We'll see how it goes. I want your reaction to what you've heard today five one, three, seven four nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred The Big One sor Right Now, carry or Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevalet seven hundred WLW, following on Twitter at Lance McAllister. If not join us, follow along, contribute during the show. Love the response and interaction during the show. You know, if I if I'm Joe Burrow, I sat back and I thought, Man, if I'm Joe Burrow today, I'm thinking, man, we are screwed. De facto GM back coach back, coaching staff back. It'll get fixed because they've they've done it before. The emphasis on close games today, losing close game games twelve one score games in the last two years. Well, if it's the players, well, Duke brought the players. If it's the coaches, well the coach is returning. Duke said they were gonna tweak coaching techniques. Well, while they're tweaking coaching techniques, I'll be standing over here watching the clock tick on Joe Burrow's career. Let's go back or to the phones for the first time tonight, Mike and Kentucky, you were on seven hunterd wlw oh, Fylance, how are you tonight? I'm gonna have them. I'm gonna lose my mind.
Speaker 8: Oh buddy, the same same feeling over here listening to him today. It's just it's just the same thing. I mean, the last twenty years has been the exact same in this city with really all.
Speaker 11: The sports franchises.
Speaker 8: But the way he talked about the scouting department and that they got all the information, I mean, it's mind blowing. It's absolutely mind blowing that they they don't. It's almost like they can't read the room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know. And it'd be one thing if they had the same size scouting department as the rest of the league. They are clearly far and away the smallest scouting department. So I just don't understand if you're gonna spend so much money in free agency and you have with your Big three, and you've got to nail drafts. This this franchise with Joe Burrow has got to nail drafts. I would think you'd want to do everything possible to increase your odds of nailing the drafts, not go with the smallest scouting department in the league.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it is, it is Apps.
Speaker 13: I mean at this point, I was.
Speaker 8: I was a season ticket holder for almost a decade, and I gave them up at the end of last season because I was sick of it. Just the ideology of that franchise it is.
Speaker 13: It's it'll it'll wear.
Speaker 8: You down, like it'll really bring down as a fan.
Speaker 7: It's it's wild.
Speaker 2: Hey, Mike, I appreciate you listen injury weekend for sure?
Speaker 7: You too?
Speaker 2: All right, thank you? Let me go to uh Mark Montgomery, Mark, what do you make of all this today?
Speaker 14: You know, so I've been watching this team since nineteen sixty eight. You know, I'm seventy years old, and as far as I'm concerned, it's just the same thing, you know, for the last fifty seven years. I mean, you know, nothing's changed. I'm not surprised. And really I've kind of come to the conclusion here that Mike Brown really looks at the draft as a crap shoot, don't.
Speaker 8: I think that's why wife always likes to compile a lot of draft picks. I don't think he really thinks there's a tremendous skill here, and he just he believes that if you get enough quality players, you know you're gonna hit on some players. And as you said, you know you could pick Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase with your eyes closed. That's a no good or no brainer picks. You know, when you're drafting in the first five picks, you know that that's pretty simple. But I really think that that's how they look at it. They don't look at the draft as.
Speaker 14: Being any more than a lot of luck, and that you know that they could spend more money and don't think they'd have any better life.
Speaker 9: And again the.
Speaker 14: Question I always ask too with any of these franchises, and people want to bang on the coaches and the manager all the time, but you know, is the ownership of both of these teams doing everything they can to put the coaching staff and the manager in the best position to win, and the answer to that is absolutely no, never and really have not. So why is anybody surprised? And quite frankly, I really think probably with this latest lease, I think the Bengals are out of here in ten years anyway. I mean, you got five new stadiums coming on the market here in the next five or six years. You got a three or four plan, including a couple of domes, including the one in Cleveland. The had running's on the wall. Ten years from now, they're going to want a new stadium. People aren't going to vote for it. They're going to be out of here, and you know, sadly, you know, I feel bad for Joe Burrow these guys because they're in a position. They've got contracts, and I don't think the owners going to do a damn thing.
Speaker 2: Mark, thank you, thanks, he feels I feel his frustration, and uh, I feel it oozing through the radio and certainly feel like oozing through social media tonight. Price Hell, Brian, what do you think about all this?
Speaker 9: Lamb?
Speaker 12: Sorry lamp, I dropped my phone, But yeah, I think that I think that the same thing as uh. I think they hired or put Joe t and Jamar to where it's a ticket sales. They care about money, they don't care about the team, they don't care about people, they don't care about nothing.
Speaker 9: Just like your last caller, he called heads up.
Speaker 12: But I think you hot. You put Joe Burrow, T Higgins Jamar out there.
Speaker 2: It's a ticket sales.
Speaker 9: If everybody would.
Speaker 12: Stop going to the games and spending money on alcohol, I guarantee you Mike Brown's pocketbook would start hurting and things would change. But they're not going to pile keep scoring and they're not going to change.
Speaker 7: What's that?
Speaker 2: No, go ahead, go ahead, but they just.
Speaker 12: They I don't see anything changing and it's not going to Like he said that he was a season ticket holder, I've been a season ticket holder too as well. And guess what it just I got rid of mine before COVID and I'm glad that I did. And everybody's like, oh, you made the best decision of your life. I did because I'm tired of wasting money, spending money down there, tailgate and all.
Speaker 7: This other stuff.
Speaker 12: And it's sad because nothing's going to change.
Speaker 2: Ran, Thank you for taking the tip, Thank you for taking the time to call tonight. Let's do it again sometime, right.
Speaker 12: All, I appreciate it, Lance, thank you, But that.
Speaker 2: Was a rapid fire first hour. I think there's more meat on the bone to get to.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 2: It is really frustrating to to look in and feel that they are living off of twenty one and twenty twenty two, propped up by Joe Burrow. Uh for for that to be the default position, I got news for you. There was a twenty twenty three season, a twenty twenty four and a twenty twenty five, and that is three consecutive years in the Joe Burrow window they have failed to make the playoffs. And if you go nice round, number of the last ten years to have made the playoffs twice, even prior to Joe, And you're asking me to believe doing it twice in ten years should instill confidence in a belief that from me that they'll be able to do it again. Well, what year would that be? And how many more years must be checked off in the Joe Burrow window? Incredibly frustrating. More of your calls five, one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred, do the big one. It's Arnel Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevallet seven hundred WW.
Speaker 1: The following takes place between seven pm and eight pm.
Speaker 2: All right, what do you say we keep this thing movement? I see no reason to slow down down. We got up and running right out of the shoot at six. We haven't slowed down. Eight o'clock hour and off the beaten Path topic. I love Friday nights. I know you've got places to go, people to see, and things to do. If you hang out with me on a Friday night, you are you're good people. I very much appreciate it. We always try to have some fun and lighten the mood. In the eight o'clock hour, got an off the beaten path topic based on a movie Kelly and I recently watched, which I'll spin into a sportstop coming up in less than one hour. The news of the day, Duke Tobin. He addressed the media, spoke for sixty four minutes. He answered, by my count, forty seven questions. He sat down at the podium with a notepad. He had an opening statement that ran about three and a half minutes, and then he fielded those forty seven questions. And I thought it was I thought the forty seven questions were well organized and presented. I felt going in really nothing that Duke said was going to satisfy the fan base, so my bar was set kind of. There wasn't an expectation that this would be earthshaking, a game changer, nor did I think anybody would really say I am now fully convinced and on board that this team is going to win the Super Bowl next year. I did not anticipate his go to points being delivered and received, at least on my end, and becoming so frustratingly just aggravating on a couple of different things, including the scouting department, and headlined by why should anyone believe that you'll fix it or are capable of fixing it? When the answer is because we've done it before. It just makes me want to throw things, if not throw up things. Let me give you a couple of more samplings. As much as I'd love to play the entire sixty four minutes, obviously don't have time. So I've tried to pick out some things that caught my ear. Gave you some of the first there. Let me give you a couple of more. Here's Duke on how important all of this is to the organization. To listen.
Speaker 6: I think the organization is willing to do anything it takes to win. I mean, that's been I've been here long enough to know that. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't say it. You know, the organization wants to win. Mister Brown wants to win. Katie Troy, Elizabeth, Caroline, Paul, they want to win. That's what they want. They're willing to do whatever it takes.
Speaker 2: Duke Tobin earlier today he also and this was a talking point he went back to a couple of times about elements of this team that have to get better, and that is finishing games, closing out games. They have twelve losses in the past two years by one score. Here's what he said about that earlier today.
Speaker 6: It irritates me, It really irritates me. You have to find ways to close games, and that has been our number one problem is when it comes time to close the game, we haven't closed it. And so how do you get over that hump? When we take the field against any team in this league, we can win and that team we're playing knows it. We don't go out there and get pummeled. We are in it and a lot of times should win it. And then don't I think that last game against Cleveland is just a microcosm of what we've had. But it's very frustrating that we've lost so many close games, incredibly frustrating. Had we just won our share of those, not more than our share, we'd be talking about least having opportunities in the playoffs, which is where we feel we should be. We feel like we're a championship caliber team. We're six and eleven. I'm six and eleven. How could you feel that way? You're an idiot. Well that's the way I feel.
Speaker 2: Well, then what I don't understand then is, and it goes back to Zach's throwaway line, we're all accountable for this. If if that's the feel that they're a championship team, and they went six and eleven and they've missed the playoffs for three straight years, why are they running it back again? And to his point of close games, yes, they lost games this year by one score. They lost seven games last year by one score, so they clearly haven't been able to fix that. And yet he also said we haven't been pummeled. Well, I don't know. You lost by thirty eight to Minnesota, you lost by twenty five to Denver. I don't care who was quarterbacking. You lost by twenty two to the Steelers, and at home against a division rival with their playoff hopes still alive. They know showed and lost twenty four to nothing. And yet we don't get pumbled and have a chance in every game. And the answer to that is run it back, because we've done it before. Sometimes you just can't make stuff up. Sometimes. Back to the phones, and let's go here, TJ. Welcome to seven hutter WLW, TJ.
Speaker 8: Hello, Hello, So you're made at Mike Brown, Duke Covin, and Doc Taylor.
Speaker 2: Right, uh uh, yeah, I have That's what we've been talking about today.
Speaker 16: So why doesn't Mike Brown retire and sit in his mansion and watch the team on TV. Let's let's hire John Harball.
Speaker 5: Why not?
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's not really contributing much to the conversation, so we'll go to Clifton Kevin. You were on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Hey, Lance, Hey, you hear me.
Speaker 2: Loud and clear. What's on your mind?
Speaker 17: Hey? Hey, you know you've always said the back of the baseball card.
Speaker 7: Yep, right, yep, you've always.
Speaker 17: Said that, and if you look at the Bengals back of the baseball card, maybe a football card.
Speaker 2: What do you see?
Speaker 7: What do you see? The same thing? Over and over and over? Am I right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 18: Am I missing this?
Speaker 2: No? No, you're you're you're right. In fact, you know, Duke Tobin has been in the role he's in director of player Personnel for twenty four years. In those twenty four years, they've had eleven winning seasons, ten losing seasons, and three break even seasons. I mean, for twenty four years. To exist with that record, their average record in his time here is about an eight to nine season. They've won one hundred and eighty five, they've lost one hundred and ninety nine, and they've tied four And to quote Tracy Jones, that leaves it at it is what it is.
Speaker 17: Yeah, hey, hey, what's the value of the back of that baseball.
Speaker 7: Card or a football card? Night?
Speaker 2: I love you, brother, Thank you guy.
Speaker 19: Your son is as old as my son, and I remember you taking your son to a baseball game before he was diagnosed with cancer and it was a beautiful thing and I just really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Oh man, you made my night and the hair standing up on my arms thank you for the kind words, and let's talk again soon. All right. He take care of yourself, okay, all right you as well.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 2: The NFL Playoffs are here, and this year DraftKings Sports Book, the number one sportsbook and live betting, is turning up the stakes for every DraftKings customer, with over two point five million dollars in prizes up for grabs every Sunday throughout the NFL Playoffs. Open the DraftKings Sports Book app, opt in and get your promo token. Place a live bet for one dollar or more on Sunday's playoff games and you are in. And every live bet means another chance to win. Place a live bet and stack your entries all Sunday long. When the games wrap, they'll randomly select the winners. Over seventy five thousand every NFL Playoffs Sunday, Will you be one of them? Here's what you do. Download the DraftKings Sports Book app now use code seven hundred WLW. Bet live for your share of two point five million in prizes. With code seven hundred WLW. In partnership with DraftKings, the Crown is yours gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler twenty one plus Ohio only. Eligibility and restrictions apply. No purchase necessary. Three sweepstakes with separate opt ins, minimum odds minus five hundred prizes either bonus bets that expire in seven day or single use profit boost See official rules at DKNG dot Co. Slash five slash live millions for every period and free method of entry. Sponsored by Crown Gaming Inc. Seven nineteen seven hundred WLWRNL Carrier sports Dock Presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm Lance McAllister, Friday Night, hanging out three hours off the beaten path. Topic coming in less than an hour now, I can't wait. Hey, let's pleeeze in some college basketball. Do the college basketball Preview presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. From our family to yours, then, now and always kelseyshev dot com stop by see him. We're oute fifty in Lawrenceburg. Now eleven minutes to go in the game. Miami trying to get to seventeen to zero, rolling Toledo seventy five forty eight. At the half, Miami had scored fifty six points to lead by twenty. They now lead seventy five forty eight with about eleven minutes to go in that one. Tomorrow, Xavier hosting Providence at four Catch you on seven hundred W. Xavier is one in four in Big East play for the second straight season. Kentucky welcomes Mississippi State eight thirty tomorrow on ESPN fifteen thirty, Cats zero to two and SEC play for the first time since I Believe two thousand and five. Indiana hosts fifteen in O Nebraska. Louisville takes on Boston College from the Young Center. Cards have dropped two straight. Boiler Makers have matched their best fifteen game start in school history at fourteen and one. They take on Penn State at Macki Arena. Buffalo heads to Athens to take on those Bobcats, who have reeled off four straight. On the women's side Tomorrow, fresh off the biggest winning program history, Katrina Meriweathers Bearcats host seventeen and o Texas Tech Tomorrow two o'clock is at three o'clock, two or three o'clock. I'll double check. You can listen on Fox Sports thirteen sixty. Sunday, the UC Bearcats hit the road to take on UCF five o'clock here on seven hundred WLW. NKU travels to Green Bay at at two on ESPN fifteen thirty. Ohio States at Washington, Wright State is at Oakland by the Way. Last night, Wes Miller opened his radio show by issuing an apology for his postgame comments with Dan and Terry following the loss at West Virginia. I'm gonna let you take a listen. Here's what he said in the post game, and then the apology he offered last night.
Speaker 20: Coach Miller has joined us now courtside here in Morgantown. Coach, I feel for everybody in that locker room right now.
Speaker 2: You've got a great don't feel don't feel for us.
Speaker 21: We get to come out and play basketball. I don't care about the noise. Dan, I don't care.
Speaker 2: I don't care what people think.
Speaker 21: I only care about my team and I care about my program. And you know what, it's almost comical. We'll get a break. We just got to stay together and stay brilliant. It's us against the whole world. We know that we're gonna get a break. We're gonna keep going, period, period. I'll answer any questions you guys want. Everybody can quit on us. Everybody I hear everybody, keep go go ahead, us against the world Come.
Speaker 14: This is the West Miller Radio Show Live from the original Montgomery End.
Speaker 20: Players are resilient. High level athletes have to be tell us about kind of the emotional tenor of the team right now.
Speaker 22: Well, first, guys, I'd like to apologize for the way I came out of the locker room the other night.
Speaker 2: Apologize that you obviously talked to you guys off.
Speaker 22: Air yesterday, but I want to say it on air. None of my emotions or anger or frustration was directed at you. None of it was directed at any body of people in particular. You guys are the best. You guys know how I feel. I don't think you all took it that way.
Speaker 20: We did not for the record, and it's completely unnecessary, but I appreciate the thought.
Speaker 22: No, it needs to be said, and then listen, there's a lot of there's so many awesome people. I love our fan base. That there's standards here, there's expectations. When we don't meet those, it's extremely frustrating. I pride myself on being professional, handle it the right way when you're supposed to when you lead a program like this. At that moment, I did, and then for that, I'm sorry, But now it's time to move on and let's reach those standards.
Speaker 2: West Miller last night on his radio show That is Your College Basketball Weekend Preview presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. Let's get back into the story of the day. Duke Tobin spoke earlier at one o'clock, spoke for sixty four minutes, answered approximately forty seven questions, and we have reacted to things we have heard. Let's go to Harrison. Hey, Rick, welcome to Sports Talk.
Speaker 12: Hey, y'all, I answer you.
Speaker 2: I'm okay, how about you good?
Speaker 5: I just wanted to make a quick observation. Listened to most of his press conference today and tried to listen to what I should say. But after hearing him talk, I can see why he's coming back, because he is literally as out of touch and out of reality of what needs to be done with the football team as the entire Brown family.
Speaker 2: It certainly left me worried about how aware they are of the issues and how capable they are of fixing those issues.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just after you're hearing him talk, I thought him and the Browns are made perfect for each other.
Speaker 2: Rick, enjoy your weekend and appreciate you checking in.
Speaker 7: You too, and Georgia says.
Speaker 2: Right, thank you, very kind of you. Let's go to Ross. Hey, Ed, welcome to sports Talk.
Speaker 4: Hey IAMB tell you doing tonight, buddy.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to hang in there.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll give you a little tongue in cheek, all right, all right, So let's here's what happened. I when I was fifteen years old, was when the Bangels went to the Super Bowl in eighty one, right, yep. So I went into a coma right before the game. And today I woke up from that coma, and the first thing that I had on was Duke Toobdan's press conference, and I was so excited Lance to know that we had won seven or eight Super Bowls in the time that I had been in a coma to today, because that's the way that man.
Speaker 7: Talked about.
Speaker 4: Exactly the way that that man had talked I mean Lance. When Marvin took over this team, we were still riding off the coattails of the eighty eight Super Bowl. Right, Marvin comes in, he drafts questionable players. We didn't care. We would get to the playoffs and we would lose. Sixteen years later, a white napkin walks in right and We're gonna draft better players now, people with character, people with honor. We're gonna fill this locker room full of people with character and honor. And that goes to the super Bowl the second year, right, yep? What makes Cincinnati believe that we're not gonna ride off of Zach's Zach Taylor's coattails for that one super Bowl for the next sixteen years?
Speaker 23: Lamb?
Speaker 4: What makes us all thinks? And I'm sick and tired of hearing people say I'm not coming back. Well, guess what, Lance, We're all coming back. We all watch it. You me, everybody that keeps saying that they're not coming back will be there. Butts will be in seat opening day.
Speaker 2: I feel your frustration, Ed.
Speaker 7: Lance as well.
Speaker 2: I hear it. I feel it, you know. The more I look at this and I look at the Duke Tobin file, I mean, think about it. He's been the director of player Personnel since two thousand and two, so twenty four seasons. He's been in charge of the roster. As the air quotes the Facto GM, they have eleven winning seasons. Let me let me put it this way, in how many other NFL cities do you believe that would fly Slash be accepted twenty four seasons as the director of player personnel and eleven winning seasons, a record of one eighty five and one ninety nine with four ties. Does that grant the acceptance of we'll figure it out because we've done it before. That's that's what leaves me baffled. In Lexington, we go, Hey, Joel, welcome to Sports Talk.
Speaker 15: Hey, good evening, Good evening. Yeah, so I was driving back from Cincinnati. I'm in Lexington, Kentucky now, even wearing Bengals swag. I'm like your last caller, he kind of. I don't have a lot to add to this, but I will be back. And I watched the Bengals. I get heartbreak on Sundays with that. But like the last caller, and you said, I really we saw him stay with Marvin Lewis for a long time. Nice guy, great guy evidently, and Zach Taylor like him. But in the world of work, it's just not reality that it's a performance based business and the performance isn't there. You're given opportunities, but I just I can't believe it either in most jobs or in most like you said, NFL teams, this kind of record, wouldn't keep you employed. And I listened to some of that press conference. I'm out of town, like I said, I'm in Cincinnati coming back. I listen to some of that and it's not inspiring. It's really heartbreaking. But I will be back and I'm a bing and but it's just so disappointing.
Speaker 7: I don't know why they do this.
Speaker 2: That's a great way. You used some great words. It's not inspiring, heartbreaking, and that's that's a that's a good way to describe the situation. Hey, Joel, enjoy your weekend, and then thank you for taking time to check in tonight. Yes, sir Hi Bu, thank you. Yeah, not inspiring and it's heartbreaking, he said, Yeah, when we come back, Bob and Joyning, Charlie and Harry and others. I want to add this to the mix. What were you doing ten years ago tonight as a Bengals fan? Do you know what you were doing ten years ago tonight as a Bengals fan? January the ninth, twenty sixteen. That is a head afternoons RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevallet seven hundred WLW seven nine seven hundred WLW. The show RNL Carrier Sports Talk, presented by Kelsey Chavallet. I'm having Friday Nights back, three full hours in a groove now three month run to Red's opening day. I like it some consistency with the show, and I'm looking forward to the off the Beaten Path topic in the eight o'clock hour. It will be a perfect flip of the script to how we have felt through the first couple hours. Then at nine o'clock, Dan Carroll is here. He's in for Sterling, He's got you. Nine to midnight. I've always said, and this is the anniversary of a very significant mot You know me and anniversaries. I love Cincinnati sports anniversaries. Kelly wishes I would remember ours more often, more consistently. But on this date ten years ago, ten years ago tonight, I've always said, and the more I go back and look at this game, it would be worthy of an ESPN thirty for thirty, that classic. What if I told you an NFL team was eighty three seconds away from winning a playoff game for the first time in twenty six years, only to melt down against a division rival and lose said playoff game. It was ten years ago tonight, when all of this unfolded at Paul Brown Stadium. Take a listen.
Speaker 20: Hi snap caught by Roethlisberger drops back looking pump faces he will be sacked back at the five yard line. Bontes Perfect got him. He Stiburger is not getting up, he's hurt. Perfect comes away with the ball. It was after the play and Big Ben is still down.
Speaker 2: Big Ben man hurt his shoulder.
Speaker 20: Mccaren under center, stomps the right foot, takes the snap, hands it off.
Speaker 2: Jeremy Hill goes into the end zone and spikes the football.
Speaker 24: The Bengals have scored a touchdown.
Speaker 20: It is third and seven at the Pittsburgh twenty five. McCarron, five yards behind the line, takes a shotgun snap. It's a four man rush aj gunfield for a j Green.
Speaker 2: He cuts you in and goes into the bone.
Speaker 3: Touchdown Bengals Raymond Anthony mccaren to Adriel Sjeremiah Green a twenty five yard touchdown and the Bengals have a one point lead.
Speaker 20: First in ten Pittsburgh down by a point. Landry Jones back to throws from his five over the middle.
Speaker 24: Hig Perfect Headerspon Gootes. Perfect comes away with a football. The Bengals have the ball with one minute and thirty six seconds to go. The back's in the eye behind AJ mccaron. He will turn left, give it to Jeremy Hill. Hill running down.
Speaker 2: To the twenty.
Speaker 1: The ball comes out.
Speaker 20: The Steelers pick it up and get tackled back at the.
Speaker 2: Nine yard line.
Speaker 20: Are you kidding me? Roethlisberger waiting for the shotgun snap, He'll drop back, pocket closes his pass too high and incomplete.
Speaker 2: There's a penalty, flat test. They're colin vntes purfect.
Speaker 20: Eighteen seconds to go, Boswell is ready, Barry puts it down. Boswell's kick is up and it is good. The Pittsburgh Steelers lead with fourteen seconds to go.
Speaker 2: The season ends.
Speaker 20: The streak continues twenty five years and counting Pittsburgh eighteen Cincinnati sixteen.
Speaker 2: This one, Dan, is going to be hard to get over. It's gonna be hard to let go. I mean, it's honestly disgust me the way this game ended. You know, as I'm listening back to that, it now feels like I'm piling on tonight, like you already heard it in a sour enough mood. But it's see it happened on this date, Hi Stack. And there are just so many things in that game that I mean one, that game was a absolute bloodback. I mean not not physical, it was brutality on the field. The Giovanni Bernard knocked unconscious by Ryan Shazier. They just oh man, there was just so much there. And the touchdown catch but between the legs the pirate or the pirates, the Steelers wide receiver in the back of the end zone, and when when perfect intercept, I was jumping up and down with Casey looking up to like the football gods above, like they're going to win a playoff game. They're going to win a play Fontes perfect personal foul, Adam Jones personal foul. And I will never forget the smirk on the face of assistant coach Joey Porter when he was on the field after Antonio Brown had been hit and was laid out. Joey Porter went out there simply to insight as an instigator, and the grin on his face when he drew the second personal foul. And you know what else I remember about that and it will it will always bug me, and it is such a steealer thing. The first personal foul of the night was against the Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak, who was flagged for grabbing Reggie Nelson's hair after Reggie Nelson was out of bounds pursuing a tackle and he grabbed his hair. If that's not a stealer thing, I don't know what it is. Let's go back to the phones five one, three, seven four night, seven thousand fifty, ten years ago, tonight, ten years ago tonight. You know what? And the sting has not faded, nor do I think it'll ever fade. Crittendon, we go, Hey, Dwayne, welcome to Sports Talk Memories.
Speaker 9: You love it, Lance.
Speaker 13: You loved putting salt in that loan. Someone actually brought the name basic back into both.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for that.
Speaker 13: Forget you, my friend.
Speaker 25: We had, we had.
Speaker 13: I had the privilege of working with you back.
Speaker 7: In the nineties.
Speaker 13: You were down the hall in this at the score with Skinny getting here, and I knew, I knew great things were in order for you and that it would all work out. Had I known the trumpy stories, man, I would have been down in the hall plugging.
Speaker 10: They instead of putting up with Carl.
Speaker 2: Carl.
Speaker 13: But anyway, Uh, we're like battered wives here, okay, I mean we're about the same age the nineties we lived through that. I think Willie's great with the zach Schula. I mean this tiger and on Cage's spots there Lance Uh, Mike Brown. You would think, out of all the pride the game made his family billionaires. You would think, before I die, we were going to go for it everything, and you had d one generational quarterback to do it, and you screwed it up, and so no, And when people were on the bandwagon in the beginning, when I saw the LSU and I said, the poor guy's coming to Cincinnati and he's going to be abused just like the previous quarterbacks. And it's just sad, It really is sad. I'm glad you were making a living off of the brother. Congratulations to your success. You're going to continue to do it until you decide to retire like Willie never and I just I'm proud of you. And it's just sad because you would think that billionaire family just once once would give everything they got. That guy today, whoever, he's got the personality of a pumpkin and the football skills to match. It's sad that this city deserves so much more. And because I was on the air laughing at the tax for the new stadium back in the nineties, then I had a chance for season tickets in the box and I'm like, no, are you kidding me? It's not going to change. And when people were getting on the bandwagon, I was like, kids, don't you know your kids, You don't realize who you're dealing with, the Brown family. It's not going to change. And that's what's sad that they couldn't have sold the franchise to a billionaire. Because the billionaires who own teams, that's their toy. They play with it. They throw that money at it, you know, like you're an owner of a boat. You're never gonna get it's a money pit.
Speaker 9: But they made their living at it.
Speaker 13: So that's all I have to say.
Speaker 2: Dwayne, you made my night with the very kind words. They are very much appreciated. It is great hearing your voice. And I hope we talk again soon.
Speaker 26: I hope we do.
Speaker 13: Tell Dan Carroll CEC said, man, I.
Speaker 2: Will do that. Thanks ye all right, thank you brother, there you go. You know what is really kind words, thank you? What is just incredibly frustrating is to not be aggressively taking advantage of the opportunity that they were gifted with Joe Burrow. They were gifted with it, and yet coasting on him instead of pedal to the metal with him three years in a row without making the playoffs. And the answer is to run it back with the de facto GM, the coaches and all the assistants, the head coach and all the assistants in the Joe Burrow window. And again, I'll go back to this. I truly believe there is not another team in the NFL. Maybe I'm missing one. I don't even think the Raiders would fit this. Over the last twenty four years, the man building the roster has built eleven winning teams out of twenty four seasons. And he was the one asking you to understand why it's going to get fixed today.
Speaker 18: I mean, what world are we living?
Speaker 2: Well, we're living in a world with the Indiana Hoosiers have just taking a lead on a pick six less than a minute end of the game. Was that the first play from scrimmage, Indiana has taken the lead and the Peach Bowl. The crowd, which looks to be about ninety five percent hoo's your fans. I think that place is shaking right now. Holy cow, six nothing pending the extra point on a pick six.
Speaker 15: Man.
Speaker 2: This is RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevalet. Seven hundred WLW. E's seven seventy three put fifty six on the board in the first half, coast a little. In the second half, the Rockets founded a bit of a comeback, but fall by fifteen. Selina was undefeated in the MAC and Miami beats him on the road at their placed by fourteen to move to seventeen and oer in the country. Holy cow, unbelievable. The off the Beaten pathtopic coming up in the eight o'clock hour. I'm not gonna have time to clear this board of everybody talking Bengals, but man, there's gonna be a dramatic shift in tone in feeling because it's needed and it's Friday night. We're gonna have some fun. But let's round out in this last segment a couple of calls at least to get us to new and then the off the Beaten Path topic. In Columbus, Kevin, you were on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Well what I did that night.
Speaker 27: I was so depressed when the game ended, I I just laid down, went to sleep, and in the morning I was trying to convince myself that I fell asleep during the game and it was just a nightmare, like the worst possible ending.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, yeah, I know.
Speaker 27: Well, yeah, I'll look at the I look at the sports news and.
Speaker 7: All the Beckels won.
Speaker 9: But I mean, could I.
Speaker 27: Even imagined it any worse than it was? Yeah, you were asking what we do that time. I usually listened to the post game one way or another, but I was just, Oh, it was so bad.
Speaker 2: I couldn't do it.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 2: It was just God, that's all I need. Thank you. It was just such a debilitating punch to the gut, if not lower kind of night with that game. Sat Leon we go. Hey Bob, welcome to Sports Talk.
Speaker 9: Yeah, love your show.
Speaker 7: Thank you big.
Speaker 25: I'm it's Gary Burbank Bengals legend. I appreciate you adding the humor of that game because it was just I was rooting for the Bengals, not a Bengals fan in any way, shape or for him, but when I was watching, it was definitely rooting for him. But then to just see him like he says, disintegrate and I mean two thugs of players that were Yeah, anyways, but it just whenever I hear the name Duke Tobin. Just to help with that comedy add back in. You remember Brian Fontane on anchor Man, Well, he had the lou Dobbin good time winger pouch. So that's the one he gave to Brick. So I guess that's just remember him sticking there for Duke Tobin because I don't think he's a whole lot better than one with a whole inning.
Speaker 2: Bob, have a great weekend. It just yeah, I appreciate check it in. I have people are feeling it. I said this earlier in the week. If the Bengals believed that the the comment from ownership early in the week, Zach's news conference and then Duke's news conference today was going to smooth things over, I think it's safe to say that did not is not happening. Dayton, We go, Charley, Welcome to Sports Talk.
Speaker 28: Hey, Alan's thank you for all your Facebook comment man, I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: The thing that has stuck with me every single week.
Speaker 17: Isman's comment last year at the com time when he said smugly on to pay for the same team.
Speaker 8: And then he did yes, and here we are today with the exact same problem we had last.
Speaker 26: Year, where it's like you didn't bring anybody in on defense.
Speaker 7: What wasn't impressed?
Speaker 10: It's like you still need three starters at least at least maybe yeah, you know, but but you made him last year. And really, if he would have came out and said, uh, we're missing our safety, we're missing.
Speaker 29: Jesse Bates and we need Jesse Bates back.
Speaker 16: Because he's like, we don't have a root on defense, He's like, yeah, you should have played with back in twenty fifteen and you should have paid bays.
Speaker 2: Have a good night, Lands, Thank you, Charlie H. Fairfield. We go Andy, give me a memory of ten years ago tonight to Lance.
Speaker 30: My wife and I were dating at the time, as she's not a sports fan. It was the first complete football game she ever watched, and I think she had she had more entertainment watching me jump up and down and then crawl on the floor and I had to drive her home at midnight. It was and she the amazing thing. She married me anyway, but it was h it was a hilarious It actually made it bearable just watching her laugh at me. I bet, I bet the other thing real quick? Isn't the NFL set up to make this not happen? Between the scheduling and the way the draft works, it almost seems like it's harder to do what the Bengals have done than actually be successful. The thought, Hey, I have a great weekend, Andy you too, I appreciate it. Thank you man, such kind words today.
Speaker 2: Thank you. And it's Friday night and you hang out with me. Let's turn into the eight o'clock hour, the off the beaten path topic returns. It guaranteed, guaranteed, no matter how you felt in the first two hours, I'm gonna put a smile on your face. We're gonna have some fun. I think that's the goal. RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevale, seven hundred WW.
Speaker 1: The following takes place between eight pm and nine pm.
Speaker 2: All right into the eight o'clock hour, we go and nice answer by the Oregon Ducks. Ducks threw a pick six the first play the game. Indiana led seven to nothing in a blink of an eye, and then the Ducks marched fourteen plays seventy five yards for a score touchdown pass from about nineteen yards and we're even. I would wonder how many scoring drive touchdown drives of at least fourteen plays Indiana allowed this season and Oregon, I don't want to say with relative ease. I mean it took them a while, but it was fourteen plays seventy five yards on a touchdown and we are even buckle up at the Peach Bowl tonight. All right, Off the Beaten Path. For those who are new to the show, we do this every Friday night when we have a full show, And my idea is, it's the end of the week, and who wants to as much as we may have ranted and raved and lost our minds in the first two hours, who wants to end the week in the eight o'clock hour with ranting and raving and screaming and stuff that makes you unhappy. So I always try to do something fun and light and the off the Beaten Path topic can be sports, it can be something related to TV or movie or music. I love list. If you ever have an idea for an off the Beaten Path topic, email me Lance at lancemacallister dot com. If I use it, I'll give you full credit because there's a lot of times Kelly will tell you I walk around very stressed because it gets later in the weekend. If I don't have it off the beaten path topic, then I'm texting you, see Chris, and I'm saying I got nothing. I got nothing. Here's what I'm going to offer up tonight. And as I always say, I could offer it up. It only works if you take it and run with it. I think there's something here. I went over this with Kelly last night. She thinks there's something here, So follow me, all right. We watched last week when Peyton was home for a while. It was me, Kelly and Peyton, and we watched a movie called Eternity, and it is a It came out in twenty twenty five. It's a throwback romantic comedy and it's about eternity, a state of endless existence. And in the movie, souls arrive at a train station to begin their after life, and they arrive in the happiest time of their life. It might be when they were nine years old or twenty or thirty seven, or sixty five or ninety, but no matter when they died, they arrived at this train station to begin their after life in the happiest moment of their life, and that's how they're going to spend their after life.
Speaker 15: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get too deep on that, but the acting, the threesome, the tree are really good and the woman faces a really tough choice in all this. For the purposes of the topic, though, I want to make it about sports, and I'll simply ask this, what was your happiest time in your life as a sports fan, that period in time that it was the very best, the happiest time as a fan, when everything became worth it, when everything came together, when there was that sense of pride. Maybe it was with your favorite team that you followed. Maybe it's a team you played on, Maybe it's a team you're your child played on. It doesn't matter to me. You're the one who gets to answer. In relation to the movie Eternity and everybody arriving the soul's arriving at this train station and for their afterlife and their happiest time of their life. I said, well, wait, Mante, I'm gonna borrow that and make it about sports. So the happiest time in your life related to sports was when and why take me back to that time. When was it, How old were you?
Speaker 9: What was it like?
Speaker 2: Relive it for me. I'll give you mine, I'll give you mine, you give me yours. Nineteen seventy six, I was ten year years old, the big red machine. Now, my team had won the previous year, first team that I followed to win a championship at the age of nine, and that was great. But nineteen seventy six to me was a flex of greatness and domination, larger than life. Players that I was rooting for, pros, the definition of professionals and how they went about their business, methodical in running rough shot over the National League that year, and then over the American League in the World Series, a sweep in the NL playoffs, and then a sweep in the World Series, a sweep of the postseason. My team was king and I was ten year years old. My team was on the cover of Sports Illustrated. It seemed like every week, or on the cover of the Sporting News, on the cover of Baseball Digest, on the cover of Sport Magazine, on the cover of Inside Sport magazine, name another magazine. Every week. Mel Allen on this week in Baseball, It's like the show was dominated by red stuff. Hello everybody, this is Mel Allen and this is a time for Twip notes that at age ten, for me was my happiest time as a sports fan because that team. I just wish I could I could do justice to that team in the words I'm choosing to describe them with. To those who just don't know weren't fortunate enough to follow that team. I swear that team never lost. When I went to Riverfront as a kid, I swear every time they all behind early, he is like, no problem, they'll come back and win. That's my answer. That's the happiest time in my life as a sports fan. How about you. That's the topic tonight. That's the off the beaten path topic. Courtesy of the movie Eternity five one three, seven four nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred, The Big One. I cannot wait to have you take me back in time to what that moment was like for you when you were at your happiest as a sports fan. And again, maybe the team you followed, maybe it was a team that you were playing on, maybe it was a team your kids played on. That's the beauty of this because I think it's going to be open ended enough and honestly the way the emotions were running, our emotions, my emotions in the first two hours. This should be a huge pick me up. I hope you're smiling right now. I hope you're going, Oh, I know what I'm telling him about. I'll take your calls. Next RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred Wlwright making our way through the eight o'clock hour. The Indiana Hoosiers are Indianna Hoosiers are rolling back to try to answer and have with a touchdown near the end of the first quarter and now lead Oregon fourteen to seven. Yeah, buckle up on that one. About twelve minutes to go. In Milwaukee tonight, the NKU Norse leading the Panthers twenty one sixteen. The score, by the way, Best of luck to Abbe Seole. Abbe Seowle is a UC freshman. She will make program history this weekend as the first UC Bearcat to race in the World Athletics Cross Country Championships Tomorrow ten fifty five in the morning in Tallahassee, Florida. It's on TV on Peacock. She is a graduate of Mercy mcaulay High school. So best of luck and congrats to Abbe Sule on a really cool accomplishment and a big stage tomorrow. All right, let's see what we can make out of this one. I highly recommend the movie Eternity. Now, I will admit it's good. I had to be explained some things by Kelly and Peyton and they kind of rolled their eyes and I'm like, well, I'm not sure what did that mean? And they say, dad. But it really tremendous acting. It's a really fascinating storyline the way it's set up, and I just, you know me, I default to sports and I thought, way, man, if that movie is about souls showing up at this train station who are about to begin their after life, and they're beginning that after life in the moment, they were their happiest in life. And that's part of this storyline of the woman the age she is at because she had a husband who had died and she remarried. And not to get too deep, but it adds to the intrigue of this storyline. And I thought, willyamit, I'll just turn it into sports tonight, for when were we the happiest as a sports fan? I think because I leaned on him so much for advice, and most of it is accepted. I should begin this in Walton with UC Chris, how are.
Speaker 7: You always good? Talking to you?
Speaker 13: Lance?
Speaker 16: You know, as a obviously you know I'm gigantic Reds fan. Seventy five and seventy six were fantastic, But I was eight and nine, I was child. It was great for whiffleballs or plastic you know, helmets or wristbands or batting gloves and all that. That was great, But I quite I don't know if I should admit I enjoyed the nineties series because I was twenty three. I was an adult. I was able to go to the games, beers, you know, go out afterwards and talk about the games. It was fantastic. So that's the Reds. But you're missing the number one major major in any UC fan, the Huggins years. I mean, we were always ranked. You were able to talk crap to Xavier fans and the rest of the country. I mean, we went to the final four in the lead eight. So we lost to the final four in the Michigan and then I think in the Elite eight we got beat by Carolina. Is that correct?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 16: So, but every single year. They were good. They were always ranked. Hell, they were number one ranked in the country multiple years. So that was my happiest fan, being a graduate of the university, had season tickets and listened to every single ball game on the radio for the you know, now, and I'm almost sixty years old, I never miss a minute, you know, And I like fabulous here.
Speaker 2: I like your point because you were older, you were more mature, you had more life experiences, and you were able to appreciate it more at and older. I kind of like where you're going with that.
Speaker 16: No, it is, I mean, because if you noticed, I don't even pick on Xavier, Kentucky anymore or Ohio State.
Speaker 13: I don't.
Speaker 16: But back in my twenties and thirties, I was young and I would always pick how. I got in fights with Mike from Kentucky on air on Bob, you know, and we argued about the great mid West. You know, those days are over, you know. I suddenly listened to Zay, I listened to Byron and Joe every Xavier game.
Speaker 2: There you go, and you older and calmer.
Speaker 16: But the Huggins years is number one, and nobody can actually rebuke that.
Speaker 7: That's it.
Speaker 2: So what you're telling me is what you're telling me is that this topic has a chance to work.
Speaker 11: You like this.
Speaker 16: Yeah, you didn't ask me about this.
Speaker 15: I know.
Speaker 2: I was worried about the other one. I know, I know I was worried about. Kelly signed off on it, and I said, all right, I'm gonna roll with Kelly and and I'll ask you in the future.
Speaker 16: So well, I'm not gonna watch that movie because it sounded miserable. If you were miserable not understanding, I certainly won't understand it.
Speaker 9: I gotta go.
Speaker 2: I have a good weekend, all right, I'm getting another beer. Of course you are. No, it was good. It was a little it got a little deep sometimes and I got kind of lost in the flow of the movie a couple of points, and I turned to Kelly and Peyton and they got me back on board. Now, oh, what a treat. I'm gonna go from UC Chris, I'm gonna go to Loveling and welcome in.
Speaker 26: Fran How are you, oh, Lance, I'm doing well. And of course Friday Night's and the fun topic. Yes, so let me go back here. You're saying you're about ten or twelve years old. Yep, I'm gonna go back to when I was ten or twelve years old, nineteen sixty one, nineteen sixty two, nineteen sixty three. I hope you see Chris is still listening, because you see basketball was number one then. I don't know how he can top that. I mean, this town was crazy. They've won back to back championships the Ohio State. I mean I can name the guys Weisenham, Bolden, Facker, Yates, Hogue, and then the next year when Wilson and Bonham came in, I mean I was on cloud nine. I lived and died with those guys. As I've told you in the past, er five.
Speaker 2: Straight final fours, five extractly and then.
Speaker 26: That's the happiest time in my life. And I'm going to come up here with the saddest time on my life nineteen sixty three when they lose to Loyola in the final, could have had three in a row. That was unprecedented for college basketball back then, and I was, you know, crushed then that.
Speaker 9: Jerry, that's it, that was it.
Speaker 26: I rode the ride as long as I could, and that's still the happiest of my life.
Speaker 7: Let's just leave it at that.
Speaker 2: That is perfect.
Speaker 9: Hey.
Speaker 2: I hope you are well and I hope you'll pass on my best to your lovely wife. Phyllis. All right, I will. She is listening.
Speaker 26: Thank you, Lance for everything.
Speaker 2: Thanks Fran, take care all right? Yeah, there you go. Those are two heavy hitters right out of the shoot. I like this taking in and running with it, and I love the the emotion and the attachment. And there is something too, the ability to just roll. They roll off your tongue, the lineups of those teams and the happiest time of your life. You don't need to stop and think about them, you know. It's like any like a conversation with Rose Morgan, Bege Perez, It just boom. Let's head to Tip City. Hey Luke, welcome to sports Talk.
Speaker 11: Hey Lance, I love love the idea of the topic. It's a really creative thank you. So let me let me take you back here for just a minute. Yes, I'm I'm thirty two years old, love the Reds, fan of just about every sport. But I'm gonna give you a story that a little bit goofy, but very impactful. So twenty ten, I'm a freshman at Bowling Green State University. I'm on the cross country team. My girlfriend at the time is on the volleyball team. We were high school sweethearts. Like any young freshman boy, I wanted to do whatever I could to impress her, and so my idea, along with somebody, was we were going to do everything we could to give them the best atmosphere at their volleyball games throughout the season. That turned into a group called the Falcon Fanatics, which today is still the official student section of Bowling Green State University. And it started with just a handful of guys by their senior year. Our senior year, we were studying attendance records. The best part though, was on her senior night they beat Akron. I'm hiding kind of in a corner. They're doing their senior night celebrations when of my buddy goes out there and hands out some flowers, gets to my girlfriend and says, unfortunately, unfortunately we have run out of flowers, but Luke has something for you. I walk out proposed to my girlfriend.
Speaker 7: Oh, she says, yes.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 11: They go on that season to win the MAC Championship and it was a Cinderella story. But I'm gonna bring it back to the Reds just for a second. I have said for years I think it would be incredible if the Reds had a small section at Great American Ballpark for students, college age kids, people who are willing to get the atmosphere going. I'm telling you, something magical could happen.
Speaker 2: Oh, Luke, you have hit a home run on this. I had the hair standing up on my arms. That was wonderful. That was perfect for this topic. Thank you for calling.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you Lance.
Speaker 2: That a great night? Are you as well?
Speaker 31: Oh?
Speaker 2: My goodness? Three for three out of the shoot? How blessed have I? I got people hanging out with me on a Friday night who are taking part of a topic we've cooked up and telling fabulous stories. Let me go to colrad Hey, Philip, what he got for me?
Speaker 12: Hello?
Speaker 23: This is really weak compared to everything of Hardy heard. My best remember of sports is being a participant in eighth grade and church soccer game at church soccer camp. I had played soccer in Chicago first, second and third grade, moved out to the bodies of Indiana, went to a church camp in eighth grade for seventh and eighth graders, and I made like six goals. The other team didn't make any at all. And the kids put me on their shoulders, oh, kured me right after the game.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know.
Speaker 22: So.
Speaker 23: I don't know if that counts or not, but as.
Speaker 2: Counts because it means something to you, and you put a smile on my face. When I hold I can I can imagine you on their shoulders. That's what I'm looking for tonight. Hey, thank you in a jury your weekend, all right, thank you you too, all right, thank you that. Oh man, I'm so excited about this. Okay, let's do this. I gotta get a check on news at the bottom of the hour. I've got a couple of lines open. But we're gonna keep rolling with this till nine. It's not Sterling tonight. He was in with Donnade earlier this morning because Sloany's out, and so that means Dan Carroll is in tonight from nine to midnight. But if you're just tuning in, we're back to the regular swing of things with sports Talk now on a nightly basis. No Bengal shows, I'll say, obviously outside of red season, So that leaves January February March for just sports talk for me, and on Friday nights, that's three hours, always concluding in the eight o'clock hour with the off the beaten Path topic. I'm all ears, I've got a stockpile of some I'm gonna use in the near future, but if you have one, let me know tonight. It's from the movie Eternity, which is a rom com romantic comedy, and it just deals with the after life. It's kind of a copy. I mean, it's not that serious. It's serious, but it's not that serious. And I just thought, Man, if the people in this movie arrived to begin their after life in the happiest moment of their life, I said, if I ask sports fans what that moment would be in terms of the happiest moment of their life, what would they give me? And you have given me gold to this point. More calls ahead after a check on News Arnel Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW. We are cruising on this Friday night. Thanks for listening, Thanks for calling, Thanks to those adding in the insights on Twitter. Atlans Pacallister love to have you as a part of the conversation during the show. Outside the show, if you missed trags earlier, Mike Petrellia recapping the day that was with Duke Tobin. That's in podcast form and ready to oh listen now listen a little bit later at seven hundred WLW dot com and through the iHeart Radio app podcast presented by my friends at Modern Office Methods. We love Modern Office Methods. So the topic deals with the happiest moment in your life as a sports fan. If I could give you one, if I could give it to you from a a dad standpoint with Casey and Peyton, it would be Peyton being called up as a freshman to play in the state final four for Simon Kenton in the high school soccer final four. As a freshman, she got not only called up to be on the roster, got into the game and I'll never forget and I'm getting shows again, never forget sitting up in the stands and seeing her get up off the bench, starting to warm up and then going into the game and just the the sense of joy and excitement and also like nervousness, like, oh my gosh, she's in a state final game and she's a freshman. I said, just kind of get in, do your thing, and get out. I was so nervous, but I was so happy that day for her to experience that, and with Casey, it would be the combination of walking out of this place on the night where he sent me a text that he had made the juniversity baseball team at Simon Kenton and the sense of happiness at that point. Those would be ones that come to mind from a father standpoint. Let's go back to the phones five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred, the big one. How about union we go? Hey Brian, welcome, Hey Brian, good he mean Lance, great topic, Thank you? What do you got for me?
Speaker 18: I will head to a direction which I think you can relate to at some point, and that is having a child with a with a cancer diagnosis, which I did have one of a son that was diagnosed as a freshman in high school. Let's fast forward to March of twenty one, as a walk on at the University of Cincinnati baseball team, sitting up in the so you know how sports are, not everyone makes the travel team. Well, his first travel was to across town to Zavier. So my wife and I go, keep in mind, this is COVID, so we're staying on top of the hill on victory Parkway watching the baseball game. Well, Cincinnati's up nineteen to three.
Speaker 7: Well what do they do?
Speaker 18: They call left in number seventy seven into the game. So you talk about a problem. I'm going from high school to Zaba University and Cincinnati. In his first travel day, it was I mean, I like the rads, the Bangles, Notre Dame. But this is nothing like seeing your child compete after such a complex, harder illness. And then then we fast forward and played five years at the university since then graduated in twenty twenty four. So it was a great, great, awesome feelings.
Speaker 2: Oh what a great story. Thank you for sharing that. Congratulate and have a great weekend. All right, appreciate it. Last thank you man hitting home runs tonight. Hitting home runs. By the way, he was checking in from Union, I was like passing on tips of things we discover. We went to a really cool coffee shop in Union two weekends ago called the Black Goose. If you're a coffee person. There ats a coffee shop and bakery and like antique store. And we found a butcher. We hit so many different butchers around this area. There's a place called the Strip in Union, which is really good and by the way, they have chicken tenders that they fry in tallow. It's just unbelievably good. My tips of the night. I like when I get tips, and I like to give tips. So those are my two tips of the night. How about Springfield? Hey, Mike, tell me a story.
Speaker 10: Well, I tell you.
Speaker 32: You and I've talked in the past. You and I are almost the same, exact same age. I just turned sixty here a couple of weeks ago, so we chewed the same ground at the same time. And if you think about it, I mean, I've got so many I could say were my greatest. But just think about in the era which we grew up, pre Internet, pre you know, all the other things that distract us. All we had was the TV and the radio or going to something in person. And you know, I'm just sitting there thinking and random ortar here the things that I experienced, sports were big.
Speaker 2: I'm a baby of seven.
Speaker 18: Boys and.
Speaker 10: Sports were big.
Speaker 32: So I mean I started out I barely remember it that I became a Miami Dolphins fan because of the seventy two seasons and because they had.
Speaker 7: A running back named Mercury Morris.
Speaker 32: My last name is and so U so a seventeen oh and o season, and then came the Big Red Machine, and then came Larry Bird in Magic Johnson, and then came the Celtics and the Lakers, and in there the Bengals of course in the eighty one game, in the eighty nine game, and then Michael Jordan comes around, and then the the pros playing in the Olympics, and uh then then you know Michael Jordan and the Bulls in the ninety I mean, just think of all of that was pre internet, and internet really didn't hit so what ninety five and we just lived the greatest in the greatest period of time period. And now you throw in there to nineteen eighty. I was our county's scoring champion in basketball and my team won the county championship in the eighth grade year, and and it just it was just one thing after another after another wrapped around sports until until the PC crowd and the lawyers and everybody else took it over. We we just when it when it came to sports. I mean the crowd that I ran with, I mean everything was about sports.
Speaker 2: Mike so Well said today, I just enjoyed it. Oh so Well said, thank you. For calling. All right, enjoy your enjoy your evening. I love this. I love this. By the way, the Hoosiers a machine, another turnover, another touchdown, Indiana Lade's twenty one to seven in the second quarter tonight at the Peach Bowl. Rolling on all cylinders at this point. How about in my stomping grounds, independence we go, Hey Mike, welcome to sports Talk.
Speaker 7: Hey Lance, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I am fantastic. How about you?
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 9: I'll do a real quick one that I gotta have one.
Speaker 12: It's more meaningful for me though.
Speaker 31: I'm born in nineteen eighty, so the Griffy trade was a big deal for me when I was just out of high school. Yeah, favorite player, and I remember trying to get home to dial up and try to find what I could about the details. Back then it was hard to get information. But that was a big moment in my life at that point in time. But then last year I listened to the Moega Show and I heard a guy named Ben on there talking about the Miracle League and the walk. Yes uh to to support that. So it was the day before the walk. I sent an email to their website, got a response back from Eric, and I was walking the next morning with him down there to the to the stage, so last minute, and it was it was crazy. It was a great experience. I think we're doing again this year. So it was fantastic. And like I said, it was the night before. I had no preparation, not sure what's getting into but it was a lot of fun, great meaningful and uh yeah.
Speaker 2: Great time, incredible. I'm glad you're shir Ben Otto Bena is the man in that that whole group that does that walk twenty one miles unbelievable. I'm so glad you brought that one up tonight. Thank you and have a great weekend.
Speaker 7: All right, all right, thanks laving.
Speaker 2: All right, now we are we are cooking, Holy cow. One more segment only one more segment, yep, one more squeeze and a couple of things that happened on this date in sports history. And then we'll prepare you for News at nine and Dan Carroll at nine oh eight. Let's head down the stretch with our final phone bank of stories for the off the Beaten Path topic. This is RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet, and right here on seven hundred WLW. Now blance McAllister. Great working with Russ Jackson again tonight, just like the old days back in the late nineties, so many stations and frequencies and people ago. But great to be back with Russ running the show tonight. And appreciate the input along the way from callers who really took the topic and ran with it. So thank you. And again, the movie's eternity, and I think we've I think we've made the topic work as we kind of spun off that. Let's squeeze in a couple of more and if you want to jump in five, one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred, the big one, we'll go to Dayton and then the Brandon and Florida. Hey, Greg, welcome to sports Talk.
Speaker 11: Hey, how you doing Land?
Speaker 2: I'm very well, how about you?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 9: Good?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 33: I got two quick ones. Yeah, nineteen sixty one World Series Game three or four, my dad took me to the Crawsley Field to see that.
Speaker 23: Yeah it was.
Speaker 33: And again in nineteen sixty three into September when the Cardinals were in town. End of the year, Reggs player hit a fly ball left field. The Cardinal left fielder goes up the terrace and slips on the terrace and falls. My dad looks down at me and he says, that's the old man's last game. I think it was Stanman.
Speaker 7: Usual the last game.
Speaker 33: That Yeah, two great memories of Crosley Field.
Speaker 2: Wow, I love it. Perfect for tonight.
Speaker 25: That's all I got.
Speaker 2: That's all I need.
Speaker 14: Thank you, Thanks, all right, all right, these.
Speaker 2: See these story I just I love storytelling like you guys are telling great stories tonight. How about Brandon and Florida Ron walk up a sports talk. Hey, Hey, My.
Speaker 9: Greatest remembrance of a sports event was October twelfth, nineteen sixty nine. Joe Namath and the New York just came to Cincinnati and played at Knifford Stadium. I was a I was either a freshman or sophomore, and of course we couldn't afford tickets, but we climbed. There's a bunch of us. We went up on top of Tangamin Square there the building and watched that game. It was amazing. I mean, you see Joe names. They just wanted to I think we lost somewhere in the neighborhood of thirty to ten. But she's you know, you died and went to heaven. See something like that and.
Speaker 2: That is excellent, excellent. Hey, thank you for sharing.
Speaker 7: Ron.
Speaker 2: Have a good night, Joe, Willie Namath. How about Northern Kentucky last one of the night, I think Scott. Welcome to seven hundred.
Speaker 9: W l W.
Speaker 7: Land's first time caller.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: I have two stories to tell you if you have time. Yes. Number one the nineteen ninety Grads World Series. My boss sent me over to buy tickets for the playoff game and we actually got in wow.
Speaker 34: And my other story a little more emotional. My brother had signed up.
Speaker 28: Or the lottery of getting tickets for the NCAA found four yeah, and his wife was due right about the time of the game, so he gave me and my father.
Speaker 29: The tickets and I got to go to that with my father in Antonio. When they want when they wanted something, you man, oh man.
Speaker 5: I can.
Speaker 2: I can hear the emotion of your voice and it means a lot. You shared it tonight. Thank you and please call again sometime.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you, all right, thank you.
Speaker 2: You know he just made me hit on one. I'll close on and it's as a from the perspective as a son. He mentioned his dad, my happiest time in life as a sports fan. With my dad. We played together on our Baseball Heaven baseball team. We went to Baseball Heaven and Goodyear in I want to say two thousand and six, and my dad would have been what sixty three at the time. I guess right around sixty three. We played on the same team. We were managed by Jack Billingham. My dad played third base, started at third base for every game for that week for our team. We win the championship on a walk off base hit with my dad scoring the winning almost knocked my microphone down. With my dad scoring the winning run, bang bang, play at the plate, my dad beats the throw. We win the championship, and I'm playing with my dad on the same team. I hit five hundred for the week fourteen for twenty eight. Not thought I was keeping track or anything, and I also for for clarity, I did injure my hamstring early on. It wasn't pretty and I might have used the courtesy runner, but I was smoking the ball. Never forget. Jack Billingham came over towards the dugad after my fourth hit one game and he said that mcallisder eat spinach for lunch today, I'm gonna have to move you up in the batting order. I'm like, this is Jack billing my manager, but playing with my dad. And the first day after we were completely worn out and going back to the hotel room, he collapsing on our beds, going what have we done? But that that was really cool? All right? Let me let me close with a couple on this date. I'll take one more, one more, Chris and Dayton. We'll get the final story. Then I Chris fire Away, what do you got for me?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh.
Speaker 10: I was about thirteen, fourteen years old. I was at Riverfront Stadium. Bench's last game had just happened to go to the family down the street. Me and my best friend Dana. We were waiting outside for Johnny to come out. We were just all we wanted was Johnny Bench's autograph, the greatest thing ever.
Speaker 7: He never came out.
Speaker 10: But we were walking back to the car underneath the stadium and you get around to that backside and there's that back door there. Yep, Johnny Bench come walking out that door and I screamed Johnny and he's like, kids, be quiet, and I'm like, but my best friend's over there. I've got a caller, and he ended up signing both programs and it was one of the greatest days of my life. My mother ended up selling, throwing out the program and the tickets that were inside, and cleaned out my room. It was heartbreaking. But it was his last game in Riverfront Stadium and I had to assigned program with his signature on the his picture, and yeah, mom threw it out.
Speaker 7: But it's one of those.
Speaker 2: Things, you know, that is that is a story to end on tonight. I really appreciate you sneaking it in.
Speaker 7: Thank you, not a problem.
Speaker 10: I'm really glad I got to stalk to you.
Speaker 2: All right, great now you as well?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 2: That that was really fun. By the way, Indiana has scored again, my goodness, just absolutely steamrolling right now. Touchdown passed from Mendoza. It is depending the extra point. It'll be twenty eight to seven with three minutes left and the half. This Indiana team, Holy boy, if I could, if I could hear Luke Brenneman right now on the call, and how excited he must be with that call as the Indiana Hoosiers are out to a twenty one point lead in Atlanta tonight, A Juggernaut performance all right to end a couple of things that happened on this date in sports history. Nineteen fifty three, freshman basketball player Bevo Francis from is It I never remember? Is it Rio Grand Ryo Grand College. I should have asked Russ first, because he would know that Ryo Grand College. Freshman Bevo Francis scores one hundred and sixteen points in a one fifty to eighty five win over Ashland Junior College at Ashland, Kentucky, where I was born. By the way, boy, whenever I asked my dad about Bevo Francis, the stories he has. I once read a book about BiVO Francis. I think it was called Bevo Francis Rising Star, so I would highly recommend it if you can find it. This date, nineteen fifty eight, u SE sophomore Oscar Robertson scores fifty six to lead the Bearcats to a route of Seaton Hall at Madison Square Garden, the Big O announced his presence with authority in New York City. Bearcats win one eighteen to fifty four. Nineteen seventy two, The longest winning streak in major professional sports is snapped when Milwaukee beats the LA Lakers one twenty to one oh four. The Lakers had won thirty three straight games. Wow uh nineteen eighty nine, just heard about him? Johnny Bench elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. He was named on ninety six point four percent of the ballots. Can somebody explain to me how sixteen writers looked at their Hall of Fame ballot and said, I think I'll pass on Johnny Bench. Sixteen writers left Johnny Bench off their ballot. Nineteen ninety a theme Joe Morgan elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Red second baseman earns eighty two percent of the vote. Two thousand and six, oh Man Kobe Bryant. Kobe scores forty five against the Pacers, making him the first player since Wilt Chamberlain to score at least forty five points in four consecutive games. Two more to wrap it up. Two thousand and seven, cow Ripken Junior and Tony Gwynn elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. And finally this date, twenty twelve, Larkin gets eighty six point four percent of the vote and is going to the Hall of Fame and I'll be danged. Oregon turned it over again. Indiana with a sack has knocked the ball loose. I believe they have the ball and they do. This is absolute. I mean, juggernaut, isn't It isn't even the right word. I mean they are putting a whoopin' on Oregon two thirty two to go. In a half. IU has the ball at the Oregon thirty, leading twenty eight to seven. All right, wow, let me say this emotionally, I'm doing much better after that hour than I was with the first two hours. That Off the Beaten Path topic was the perfect pivot from our early Duke Tobin conversation tonight. I may have blacked out a couple of times during the first hour of the show. Thank you to Russ Jackson for producing. Thank you for listening. If you took the time to call, thank you. Let's do this again on Monday, three hours. A couple of things in the works. We'll see how the weekend goes and we'll talk about it, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend. The news is next, and then Dan Carroll is in for Sterling. He's got you nine to midnight. This has been RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet, and right here on seven hundred WW