Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League.
Speaker 3: Baseball history have won three consecutive titles.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again.
Speaker 5: We're getting ready running.
Speaker 1: Back to get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seventy and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get short podcasts. And now your host, here's Tim Kings.
Speaker 6: Well, not every game could be a Picasso, a masterpiece, something that you look back and say, ah, that's a thing of beauty, because certainly tonight that was anything but a thing of beauty. Hi everybody, and welcome to Dodger Talk here on AM five to seventy LA Sports live everywhere on the iHeart Radio av No, wherever you may be on this Friday night. Thank you for being a part of the show, listening if your podcast the show afterwards, we appreciate you as well, and thanking us thanks for making us one of the most downloaded postgame podcasts out there. Dodger Talk that's right here on AMI seventy LA Sports and the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 2: Our phone number eight.
Speaker 6: Six six nine seven two five seventy eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. It was a stinker. It was one of those games that the Dodgers cannot get home, put their head on the pillow and fall asleep fast enough. Then tonight's game, the Dodgers got back to back home runs in the first from Otani and Poz tied the game back up at two, gave everybody a new life. After Kyle Hurt gave up two runs to the top half of the first inning to the Snakes, it was a brand new ball game going to the second inning, and then it quickly faded for the Dodgers in the fourth, starting with Will Klein giving up a couple of runs and then to Tim Tawa to run home run off of Brock Stewart, and it just kind of fell apart for the Dodgers tonight as they fall to the Diamondbacks nine to three in this series. Opener a bullpen game for what was supposed to be a show Aotani start, But as we found out ours before the game, it was going to be a bullpen game. Otani was not going to pitch. The irritation in his left knee bothering him still, and it's better to side on precaution at this point and not get him out there and not need him to pitch in the final game before the All Star break and his final start.
Speaker 2: There's no need.
Speaker 6: And I know he's bummed not to go to Philadelphia because of his knee and won't be able to play in the All Star Game on Tuesday as the starter voted by you the fans as the number one vote getter in all of baseball this year as a National League designated hitter. But it's the right choice and with the long term look at the season and what your ultimate goal is is to win a third straight championship, there's no need for him to make a start on July tenth for a knee that's bothering him. Let him sit, let him dh let him get treatment on the knee.
Speaker 2: On Sunday.
Speaker 6: We found out afterwards it's gonna be some drainage of fluid from the knee. They're gonna give him a little painkiller on the knee. He just needs to get that inflammation and irritation out of there. As they said, it's an intervention of his left knee. Yeah, take care of it. If the knees barking, get it taken care of. Nothing wrong with that, especially when you got a thirteen and a half game lead in the division and you've got the depth of Dodgers do. When your star player, your unicorn, you're a superstar. It's got a little something bothering him. Take care of it now before it blows up. God forbid into anything bigger. And not to say that it was going to, but if you've got the luxury of not having him go to the All Star Game and having the All Star break built in now for extra time off, take full advantage of it.
Speaker 2: So I have no problem with this.
Speaker 6: I think this is the smart decision all the way around, and a good job by the Dodgers for letting the show Toddi's still DH because certainly there's a difference between hitting and pitching and the strain and the toll, and you know the overall, you know, every pitch you're using your left foot and that's your landing foot, and you're landing knee and all the weight is falling on to your left knee and your left leg. That's the last thing you need to do is be out there throwing ninety pitches tonight in a game against the Diamondbacks, and what, let's be honest, doesn't mean a whole lot. At this point of this season, you can afford to have your guy not make the start. But clearly there's a difference between pitching and hitting. It doesn't bother him when he hits. And boy did he show us all that. The third pitch of the game and the bottom half of the first inning a solo home runoff or Water Rodriguez his twenty first home run of this season.
Speaker 2: So no show.
Speaker 6: Hey, Otani turned out to be a problem for the bullpenning. Again, a bullpen game is only as good as your bullpen is. You can throw seven guys out there like they did tonight, and all it would take is a hiccup from one of them just for one guy to have a bad inning. Well, tonight, the Dodgers had five of their seven relievers have bad innings. That is a recipe for disaster. When you have one hiccup, you gotta overcome that. Depending on how bad it is two relievers in a bullpen game, no matter where they're scattered in that realm of the bullpen game, Yeah, that's gonna be something that's gonna be tough to overcome.
Speaker 2: Three, that's gonna be really tough.
Speaker 6: Five of your seven relievers in a bullpen game give up runs, you're gonna be You're gonna be finding yourself not winning a lot of baseball games in that case. No matter if you get a home run from Otani and Payees in the first inning, you know, you all of a sudden find yourself down four to two, six to two, eight to two, and you look up for air and it's ninety two going into the eighth inning. That's a tough one for the Dodgers tonight. And again, defensively, three airs, three airs for a Dodgers defense. That's unheard of this year. Six airs in the last three games for this Dodgers team. We're just not used to seeing this sloppy baseball from a Dodgers team here in twenty twenty six. Certainly we haven't seen it in the last couple of years. And again, teams will go through stretches in which they don't play good baseball. It just happens, and you're gonna lose games. You're gonna lose games back to back, You're gonna.
Speaker 2: Lose a series. You may have a three or four game losing string.
Speaker 6: It's going to happen, but it doesn't happen very often where we see a Dodgers team over the course of nine innings in a game play as bad as they did tonight. The Dodgers tonight issued five walks, a wild pitch, a bock, and three errors. Ough ad the five walks, three of those runs scored. They allowed Tim Tawa, who had eight runs batten in all season, come in tonight and have a four hit game, hit a two run home run, and drive in four. I don't know what it is about Arizona Diamondbacks. How many years do we have to see Paul Goldshman Old Goldie just absolutely dominate the Dodgers, And he still doesn't, by the way, no matter where he's playing. But who was the other first baseman that's now in Houston? Was that was also a guy that dominated the Dodgers. H Christian Walker? Yeah, thanks calling Christian Walker. Also a Dodger killer? Is Tim Towan now another Dodger killer? Holy smokes eight RBIs all season and he had four tonight against the Dodger bullpen. So something you don't see very often from this Dodgers team, and we haven't just a bad game all the way around, just a forgettable game for that matter by this Dodgers team. And now they got to flush it out of their system. Get ready for tomorrow, because I think you got to go into this All Star break still feeling good about the way you're playing.
Speaker 2: Last thing you want to do is be stewing for the next week.
Speaker 6: Then start in the second half of the season on the road in New York Philly and then back in New York. Tough road trip coming up, no doubt about it. And you've built yourself a cushion in the NL West. But the last thing you want to do is all of a sudden, that lead, which was up to fourteen and a half games, is now down to eleven and a half, and you're gonna laugh and say, oh, eleven and a half game lead. You know what, Funnier things have happened in baseball. It's not gonna happen to the Dodgers, but certainly things that have happened like that in the history of baseball, where teams have blown double digit leads in the division.
Speaker 2: Dodgers are not gonna let that happen. But going into the All Star break.
Speaker 6: You definitely want to feel good about the way you're playing and build up that lead again to thirteen fourteen games going into the All Star break. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the number we're gonna hear from Kyle Hurt coming up. He got roughed up in his start for the Dodgers, his second in the big leagues, and then inning and two thirds he gave up two runs, both of them, earned three hits a walk before turning it over to Will Klein in the third inning as the Diamondbacks beat the Dodgers by a final of nine to three. All right, let's go out to the phones. Got a line open if you want to jump on it. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy Bill mission Viejo.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodgers Talk. Bill. How you doing tonight?
Speaker 7: Pretty good? Thanks for taking my call. Sure, yeah, this the four RBIs tonight has been kind of a trend lately. You know, in the Padre series, their catcher Campusina, the backup catcher, had a single that's set up Machado's home running. The Padre win and over the Dodgers, and then it happened a little bit on the road for two. So it's what do you think of this? Do you think there was a trend going on with the eight to nine hitters a lot this.
Speaker 6: Year against the Dodgers or just in general and baseball the eight nine.
Speaker 7: Hitters, well, I mean just went against the Dodgers. I mean they had you know, the Pittsburgh the eight or nine hitters got to them and the loss. And then I think in Sacramento the bottom of the order when it was a bullpen game. Also true last game in Sacramento there was a couple bottom of the order hits two. It just seems to happen. Is that just because they get up to the Dodgers.
Speaker 6: I think it's probably a combination of that, and Bill, I appreciate the phone call. It's probably that it's promissably Also the fact that you know, the Dodgers look at the bottom of the lineup of a team like the Athletics or a team like the Rockies, or a team like the Diamondbacks and probably figure, you know what, if there's a hitter or a sequence of hitters that we can feel like we can throw one, two to one down the middle of the plate and challenge a hitter, and I don't think he's going to hit it out of the ballpark, or don't think he's going to drive the ball into the gap or find green grass somewhere for a base hit. We're gonna take our chances there. And yeah, you're right, the Dodgers, now you think about it, there have been a lot of guys at the bottom of the lineup. Tallibyan the latest who goes three for four with four RBIs tonight. And this is a guy hitting one to eighty seven now on this season, he raised his average up to one eighty seven on base percentage of two seventy nine and slunk it out a three zero seven percentage. So that's my that's my theory. You know, these are all major league hitters. I don't care if it's one the second hitter, the third hitter, that the ninth hitter.
Speaker 2: These guys are all there for a reason.
Speaker 6: But certainly if you're looking at a team like the Diamondbacks, the Rockies, the Athletics, who you referenced, the Pirates going back to that series against Pittsburgh. When you look at teams who aren't winning and you look at the bottom of the lineup where maybe they have their weaker hitter that are hitting like a Tawa one eighty seven or a struggling Watchment. It's it's a it's probably in your back of your mind or maybe part of your game plan is we're not gonna light we're gonna let We're not gonna let Marte or por Domo or Carol beat us. We're gonna go after the guys at the bottom of the lineup, challenge them a little bit, let them try to hit themselves out of the of the ginning and get to the top half of the lineup again, so we can really go after Marte and Perdomo and Carol.
Speaker 2: It could be part of the philosophy.
Speaker 6: And you know, credit to those hitters, those guys like Taua at the bottom of the lineup that take full advantage of fastballs. You know, two to one pitch from Brock Stewart to Tawa. Dave Roberts alluded to it. You just can't do that. You know, maybe it's a nine hitter and you're thinking, well, all right, two to one pitch, runner on, let's see what you can do with it.
Speaker 2: Buddy. You know what he did with it.
Speaker 6: He hit it four hundred and twenty nine feet for a two run home run to give the Backs a four to two lead, and they never looked back as the Arizona Diamondbacks then to go on and score two in the fifth, two in the six, one more in the eighth, and go.
Speaker 2: On and beat the Dodgers tonight by a final of ninety three.
Speaker 6: I don't know if they've got All Star itis or not, but kind of felt like it tonight. Tonight was those just didn't feel like this is the same Dodger team we had seen for ninety four games before tonight. I mean tonight was game number ninety five of this season. I cannot think off the top.
Speaker 2: Of my head.
Speaker 6: Colin and I were talking about during the last part of the game, We're trying to think of clunkers of games that the Dodgers played this year. Nothing really comes to mind like this where the bullpen, five of the seven relievers all give up runs. The Dodgers defensively three airs and a couple of other mental mistakes, could not score after the first inning until a RBI double in the ninth inning when this game was already out of reach. Just haven't seen this at all this year by a Dodgers lineup, the Dodgers pitching staff, Dodgers defense. This is a rarity, folks, and again I hope I never see it again this year. I don't think we're gonna see too many of these clunkers of a game from this Dodgers team the rest of the year. I certainly hope not, because this is not what this team is about. They pride themselves on good pitching, great defense, and slug a team that can hit the ball of the ballpark and is never really out of the game even if it's two nothing after a half inning. They come back in the first two batters in the bottom of the first Otani and Piez both hit solo shots, and all of a sudden to nothing deficit, it's tied to two and it's a whole new game. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the number? Does this team look like they've got All Star itis? Looking to get to the All Star Break with a thirteen and a half game lead.
Speaker 2: You know what. I hate to say it, but it did tonight.
Speaker 6: But they got two games in this series to turn things around and then go into the All Star Break feeling good about themselves because it's gonna be a tough road trip to begin things next Friday in New York when they start a three game series against the Yankees. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the number. Let's take a time out, we'll come back. We'll hear from Kyle Hurt, and we'll hear from you. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy Dodgers Baseball brought to you by Medello Midello. The mark of a Fighter. Well, the Dodgers didn't show a lot of fight tonight until the end.
Speaker 2: It was too late.
Speaker 6: They were down nine to two until Miguel Rojas's RBI double in the ninth got the Dodgers on the board. Too little, too late, Diamondbacks beat up on the blue. Nine to three is your final. Continue with Dodger Talking here on a FI seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere to the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Five seventy LA Sports be anywhere at any time, and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk all of those things. Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We're streaming online.
Speaker 1: We stream every game too. Come find me back to Dodger Talk on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Were based out of the runner, the wine, and the pitch, and Otani hits one in the year to left a long way curry out back.
Speaker 2: To the wall.
Speaker 3: It's gone, a lead off home run for Old Tony for thirty second career lead off home run and his twenty six with the Dodgers. His eighth this year career home run number three hundred and one and number twenty one this season. Otani starts it off with a.
Speaker 6: Bang show Hey Otani with the solo home run to lead off the bottom half of the first inning. Andy Pajz would follow that up seven pitches later with a solo home run as well as seventeenth home run of the year for Pahes number twenty one for Otani, back to back jacks for the Dodgers. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win at fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card. Just visit an five seventy LA sports dot com keyword home run into your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream Well. The Dodgers tonight got owned by the Diamondbacks, a nine to three win by the Snakes. Eduardo Rodriguez gets the win, Will kleinb gets the loss. It was a bullpen game again for the Dodgers. In case you missed it, show Hey O'tani did not make his schedule start on the mound this evening due to irritation in his left knee. He still served as a designated hitter and will do so for the rest of the weekend, which two more against the Arizona Diamondbacks, but following the series against Arizona he will have some quote interventions on his knee end quote to put him in the best position for the second half of the season. We found that this little painkiller to get the irritation away and some drainage of some fluid in the left knee. So a good sign for show hey o Tani that he's still able to dge while he can't pitch. If it was that bad, he would not be able to do both and he just would not be in the lineup at all tonight. And in fact, he's going to be in the lineup tomorrow, and it's scheduled to be in the lineup on Sunday, but will not be going to Philadelphia for the All Star Game, in which he was the top vogue getter in baseball as the National League's designated hitter. So disappointing, yes, But for the Dodgers bigger picture, their goal a third straight World Series championship, and that means extra rest for show Hay. No flying to Philadelphia and getting that knee taken care of with an extended rest is The Dodgers then go to New York next Friday to take on the Yankees for the second half of this season. Dodgers now sixty one and thirty four on this season. You look at the standings. Oh no, panic, brothers. They're thirteen and a half games up on the Diamondbacks. I said that sarcastically. They are fourteen and a half games up on the San Diego Padres, who lost again tonight, and the Giants are twenty one and a half games back. Don't look now, but the Giants are only one game ahead of the Colorado Rockies for last place in the NL West, as the Rockies have won six of their last ten and they're a fun, young team, very young. A lot of top draft picks, guys who were selected in the last four years that have been pushed to the major leagues. It was fun to see them Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday at a Dodger Stadium with Kyle Carros and Crewezz. That's a young, fun Colorado Rockies team that certainly has taken in the lumps the last few years, multiple one hundred loss seasons. But they they've got a fun little product. They got there in Colorado, in the Mile Hight City, and they did. They took it to the Dodgers in three games that are all decided by one run eight six, six, nine eighty seven to two five seventy in places show Hey o Tani. Kyle Hurt got the start night, his second start in the big leagues. He's been used primarily as a bulk reliever for the Dodgers. He got the start tonight, gave up two runs on three hits, to walk a strikeout and inning in two thirds put the Dodgers in a two nothing deficit early and afterwards talked with David Vasse and the media.
Speaker 4: When did all you find out that you were gonna have to throw a bullpen game today?
Speaker 5: I found out last night around eleven PM.
Speaker 4: That you were going to open as well. Yeah, well, what was the most frustrating part for you in that first inning? Was it having two strikes on a lot of those guys and letting them off the hook. Why couldn't you put them away?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's kind of been been an issue for me lately. You know, I'm kind of doing the hard part getting No. Two to one two one guys and just not executing and getting pitches right. I need to get them, you know, I'm just kind of leaving things over the plate, getting into deep counts. Those deep counts can lead to walks, and I just got to be better at finishing guys. Just put them away when I'm ahead. So that's about it.
Speaker 4: You guys did so well in Anaheim. These bullpen games are they kind of a wildcard to try to expect, you know, seven or eight different guys to be on their game.
Speaker 5: It's not really a wildcard. I mean, it's a bullpen game. Like we're all going to go out there and do our part, and we got a job. And tonight, you know, it just there was a couple walks, some hits, you know, just just wasn't a good day for us. But we're expected to go out there and when our name is called and get those outs and today just wasn't that day, and we'll be better.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 6: There's Kyle Hurt certainly frustrated with his performance tonight, and that has been the case for Kyle Hurt all season long. Glimpses of Kyle Hurt that's been really good in putting up zeros, and then glimpses of Kyle Hurt where he gets ahead and the count and you feel like another zero is coming up, and all of a sudden he gets tagged for runs and gives up hits and gives up runs and puts up a crooked number on this board.
Speaker 2: In a bad way. So Kyle Hurt one of those nights tonight.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, he was whaton of five different relievers of the seven that pitched in this game tonight that gave up runs.
Speaker 2: And I mentioned it earlier in a bullpen game. It is a chain.
Speaker 6: It is a rope, so to speak, and everybody's grabbing on the rope, and all it takes is one guy to fall, one guy to have a hiccup, one guy to break that chain, whatever the analogy you want to use. If one guy messes up, gives up a run, has a bad inning, it could be doomsday for a bullpen game. Two guys or three guys have that happen, He's most likely not going to be a good result. When five of the seven relievers in a bullpen game give up runs, that's a recipe for disaster. And tonight the Dodgers down to nothing, tied it in the first we had a whole new ballgame after one inning. Unfortunately, the Dodgers didn't score again until the ninth inning, when this game was well out of reach.
Speaker 2: A nine to two lead.
Speaker 6: Miguel Rojas rbi double made it a nine to three game, and that's going to be the final.
Speaker 2: Again. The defense just uncharacteristic of the Dodgers.
Speaker 6: I can't think of a game in which the Dodgers defense hurt them this bad. I mean a couple of nights ago against the Rockies, they had an air that didn't help in a loss to the Rockies, but they certainly had chances and what turned to be a one run loss. This this is a game that got away from them. The bullpen didn't do their job, the defense do their job, and certainly over the seven of the nine innings, the Dodgers just couldn't score second inning through the eighth inning. So bad night for the Dodgers. Just one of those games you just don't want to see again. You can't see again, and we haven't seen at all from this Dodgers team. And I think one of the best lines that was just texted me, not by Shannon farm Thanks for listening to Shannon. This text came from Isabelle from Anaheim, and I think this is well put and I think this is exactly what sums up tonight's nine three loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks, in which the Dodgers pitching staff got rocked. With the Dodgers defense looked sloppy, Isabelle said, Tim, when did the Dodgers become the Giants? She's right, they looked like a Giants team out there that couldn't figure it out offensively, defensively and pitching. Yeah, if you're a Giants fan, you see this on a daily basis. I don't know how you stomach it. I don't know how you deal with it. But we expect bigger and better from the Dodgers, especially with this group. And we'll chalk it up as one game. Maybe it's all star itis. I don't know, don't want to see it again tomorrow, and certainly it'd be nice the next two days come back look like a Dodgers team with the high powered offense and really good pitching. And guess what, right guy, right place, right game Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mount tomorrow in Game two, this three game set. Perfect guy to have on the mat. We talk about stoppers in baseball. Clayton Kershaw was that stopper and what does that mean. Well, he's gonna pitch every five days, So if you're losing four games in a row, he's your stopper. He's gonna stop that losing streak. There's a pretty good chance that you're never gonna lose more than four days in a row because he's gonna come back around the rotation and win you a game. Because he's that good. He is that starting stopper in Major League Baseball. Yamamoto has been that guy now here in twenty twenty six, and quite frankly took the baton from Clayton Kershaw a year plus ago in the Dodgers rotation. I love the Dodgers' chances with Yamamoto on the mount tomorrow for a guy to go out and put up zeros, help out a bullpen that got worked pretty good tonight, seven different relievers. I mean, Kyle Hurt through thirty six pitches, we'll climb through thirty one pitches. Most likely we won't see him the next two days. Brock Stewart through two nine pitches, and Gardo and Riquez through twenty nine pitches.
Speaker 2: We're most likely not going to see all four of those guys pitch tomorrow.
Speaker 6: I'd be shocked if those four guys pitched in the next two games. Jack Dryer only through fourteen pitches, Evan Phillips through twenty two pitches. I'm my guess is he's down tomorrow, probably the next two days since he's still coming back from Tommy John surgery.
Speaker 2: And Alex Vesia threw nineteen pitches.
Speaker 6: So yeah, they really need Yamamoto to go out and be the stopper tomorrow and get the Dodgers back on track and get a win and then go into Sunday's game with a chance to win the series and going to the All Star Break with a fifteen and a half game lead. Right now, it's down to thirteen and a half games. Oh no, down to thirteen and a half. Watch out for them Diamondbacks. Well, the Dodgers could quickly pop their balloon tomorrow with Yamamoto on the mount and then going to the All Star break again. The big news today show Aotani not going to the All Star Game. He's gonna have his left knee looked at after Sunday's game against the Dinabacksial service the designated hitter tomorrow and Sunday, but it's gonna have an intervention on his left knee. Fluid drained a shot, get him ready for the second half of the season. All right, that's gonna do it for Dodger to talk tonight. If we could not get to you on hold, I apologize. How about you take a rain check and you call back tomorrow. Eight six six ninety seven is that number? Put in your phone and be ready to go after the game tomorrow night, and you'll get a rain check if you're on hold. Dodgers lose to the Diamondbacks nine to three and a bullpin game that got away from him early and often. The Dodgers did get home runs from Otani and Paz, but not much after that.
Speaker 2: Three airs on defense. Let's put this one behind this.
Speaker 6: Rip up the scorecard, delete the box score, and let's turn the page to Saturday. New Day, New Game, New Guy on the Mound, Yoshinobu Yamamoto Wrongo Casino Dungeons On depicting a five first pitch at six'. Ten thanks again for, listening for being a part of the, show and for podcasting as. Well until, tomorrow have a safe rest of Your friday night Sol on, everybody let's just say