Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Rangers, a split squad game today here in Arizona, and we're joined right now by a man that has a great connection to Andrew Friedman, going back to his playing days with the Tampa Bay Race, fresh from managing with the Twins, and now the Dodgers are very fortunate to have Rocco Baldelli and his beautiful bald head part of their front office. Rocko, thanks a lot for the time and great to have you in Dodger Blue.
Speaker 1: Thank you. That might be the greatest intro that I've ever had in my entire life. But no, it's wonderful to be here. It's a It's been a fantastic spring training and being here with the new group has been really eye opening and pretty awesome for me. Right now.
Speaker 2: What's it like for you to see these group of players coming off back to back championships seemingly ready to go day one is spring training?
Speaker 1: Yeah, The one thing that I noticed really early with this group was the level of focus and intensity and desire coming off of two World Series. You know, it's not like, you know, everyone's coming in without those world series. Those world series have been have been one great moments experienced, but still coming in with that really exceptional high level focus, ready, ready to roll, ready to work every single day, ready to get better every single day, and you can see why so many of these players have had the success that they've had.
Speaker 2: I see you floating around camp. Have you kind of gravitated towards one group of players or just trying to zone in on what they do to prepare for not only each day here but for the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most of my time has been spent with the outfield group, and specifically a lot of the young outfielders, a lot of the guys that are that haven't yet made their debut, a lot of the guys that are at the Double A and Triple A level, and there's a there's an extensive list of very talented young men here. Probably one of the the depthiest groups of outfielders that I've ever ever seen prospect wise in one organization. So that spent that's taken up a lot of my time. It's been very enjoyable working with this group, but I didn't want to get to spread out watching too many different things. I mean, getting a view of the organization as a whole has been important. I mean, it's a new place for me, so it's going to take a little time. But as far as when I'm stepping on the field, most of my attention and my eyes are set on those young outfielders.
Speaker 2: Is it a stretch to say the Dodgers have potentially six young outfielders that could be major leaguers in the next year or two.
Speaker 1: I mean in the next year or two, probably, So I would say that the list is even much longer than that when you extend it down into some of the younger players. There are guys that are appearing in major league camp that are doing really a heck of a job up and down the ladder. Not all of them are even at the Triple A and Double A levels, But yeah, normal you don't see a half dozen guys, you know, you start I could, I could start naming a bunch of names here, but like you're gonna end up, you know, missing guys too. But in major league camp, you know, you had Tibbs and aar Hard and those guys did a really nice job. And Ward has had some some some real success at the minor league levels and put up a lot of UH, some really good numbers KG, Kendell, George and Depaula and and Zyer Hope and the list is UH is good and long, and you know what, You're gonna need all those guys at different points in time. UH, and you just gotta wait and see how they develop. But the talent is there, Rocco.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought up James Tibbs because the Dodgers acquired him last year. He's been traded twice before even making his major league debut, but he's been in a lot of Cactus League games, putting him on the radar for fans that are watching and listening. What stands out to you the most that makes you believe he can impact the Dodgers this season.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that one of the first things that you notice around him is he's a very intense guy and he wants to do good. He shows up ready to work every day, which is a great trait for any young player. But when he steps on the field and he starts playing, you can see that he has a good advanced approach at the plate, which stands out and you know he's not you know, it's not like He's standing six foot five and two hundred and forty pounds, but he hits the ball hard, He sees the ball really good. He's just a lot of great traits that you would want and a good young hitter, and he shows a lot of those virtually every game where he steps out there on the field. He looks like a guy who knows what he's doing in the batter's box. So that's a great place to start for a young guy. He had a lot of success once he came over to the Dodgers in the minor leagues last year, and now he's really jumping off of that this spring and continuing his success.
Speaker 2: This is your genre of baseball. You might agree or disagree with this, but when I shook his hand, I was thinking, who does he remind me of? And it struck me a day later. Casey Kotchman, who played for the Angels, different position, but he had some real meat hooks, and James Tibbs seems to have those meat hooks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got he's got some strength in those hands. He's got some strength in those hands. I've played with Cotch two and Cotch is an awesome dude and had a good career. I haven't seen him in a while. I'm not sure he's at these days, but I'm sure he's doing fine. But yeah, Timsy has had a good start to the spring. He's been playing a decent amount of first base. He's also pretty solid contributor on the corner outfield spots. And I think he's he just needs to go play. He just needs to settle in when the season hits, you know, obviously most likely going to the minor leagues, you know, unless something happens, I think in major league camp. But I think, you know, just being ready to show up every day and be prepared for whenever his name's called, and his name could be called soon. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Rocco Baldelli is our guest. He's a specialist assistant to Andrew Freeman, part of the Dodgers front office now. And you know, Andrew Freeman has built something special that everybody around the league is very envious of. Can you give us some insight on what the Dodgers have now under Andrew compared to what he was like and what he built in Tampa Bay with you.
Speaker 1: Well, I'd like to say he's changed a whole lot, and you know, you know, get on him a little bit for that, but now he's the he's the same guy. Exceptionally brilliant and talented, of course, but he's he likes to laugh, he's he likes to get in there with all the people that work with him. Uh, he has great relationships. Everywhere you look, and and every organization he's ever worked with, people always they're they warmed to him, and they they they love working with him and for him. So you know, that's not totally normal probably you know everywhere in the game or everywhere in sports where you look, but he creates just an exceptional in ironment for the people that show up here every day, both the players and the staff. So you know, I've known Andrew since the beginnings of his time in professional baseball, and I feel very lucky to be working with him once again.
Speaker 2: Everybody tried to put him in this bucket being with Tampa Bay and trying to do more with less. How unique is it for him to be able to do what he did in Tampa but then now have the resources at his fingertips to build what he's have now, what he's built now with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think one thing to note is like Andrew had to get very creative in Tampa Bay when he was there. Now he just gets creative in different ways. And you know he has a mind that's always going to be searching for something new or more effective or different. And you know what he's built here. I mean when I first showed up, he I've only been here a short time, but you know, I realized this is a this is an immense this is a massive operation here in LA and it's not what I've been used to because I've worked with smaller market clubs in my career. But the way that it functions together is extremely impressive. You don't lose that that personal touch and that really you know, pointed, very good, you know, well thought out programming that you get when you have a smaller group. It operates the same way, except that it is a bigger group here and everyone works together very well. It's very well coordinated, it's very well organized, and to me, it almost felt like a college campus atmosphere when I showed up here for spring training, you know, which isn't necessarily the field that you get in most camps.
Speaker 2: Now, that's a great compliment, Rocco. Before I let you go. Joe Madden told me once that Andrew is not only great at what he does building the infrastructure and using analytics, but he is a really good baseball man now a great baseball scout. Have you seen that transformation?
Speaker 1: Truthfully, I think that was always in Andrew because Andrew was Andrew played. You know, Andrew you know, was a member of the two lane baseball team back in the day, and I always thought he was like the last guy on the roster, very possible, very possible. No one can verify it, so there's no way to really there's no way.
Speaker 2: To really know.
Speaker 1: But no, you know, he has a background in the game. You know, he didn't just show up and you know pick up baseball. I mean that it's something that he has a long history with. And I think he has a great appreciation for melding all parts of this game in the best possible ways. And he knows that you need you know, exceptional you know, an exceptional plan or you know, really good information. But he he he really compliments that with bringing in the right people and people that he trusts and people that he wants opinions from. And you know, everywhere you look here, there's really really really awesome, talented people in every department, and he the way they come together, though, is the key, and the way he utilizes everyone is always going to be the key, and he's the best at that.
Speaker 2: All Right, before I let you go, I'm gonna tap into some Andrew Friedman sense of humor here for Rocco Baldelli. When I was driving in today to Camelback Ranch, I saw a bald headed dude in a Dodger hoodie with a beard double over as he was trying to run the whole ranch. Was that Rocco Baldelli?
Speaker 1: It was?
Speaker 2: And it's all I have.
Speaker 1: It's all I've got, and I got nothing more to give. But yeah, you're lucky I didn't take a picture for Andrew. You know what, he would use that picture forever. It would go rate in that that file that he keeps on everyone, and he'd have a good picture. Now, I was absolutely gassed out here, But you got to do something. You got to get out there and keep moving.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm I can only say that to a certain extent since you can see I'm a skinny, fat guy, So I can only go so far on you same saying that's that you can talk into the same thing. Hey Rocco, thanks a lot for joining us. It's great to share you with Dodger fans. You have so much to offer the game and the Dodgers are lucky to have you in the organization. So thank you for the time.
Speaker 1: That's truly a pleasure to be here. Thank you.