Speaker 1: Don't want to be an Americandi.
Speaker 2: There we go back half the week, get effect here seven hundred wlwt in the weather looking good. No, but there are some storm clouds right now over the top of city Hall. So the city comes out with a servi. They ask Cincinnatians what do you like? What do you dislike? And it came out that Cincinnatis are frustrated. We've got potholes, we've got bad roads, we got rising crime, at least the perception of violence downtown and elsewhere, shootings at Riverfront Live and beyond. We've got quality of life that is not so good. And in light of that, council just voted by the narrowest of margins to spend eight million dollars on River Bend two point zero anyway, And the sponsor that bill joins the show now on seven hundred w that would be Anna Alby, who is in the bunker right now. She's in the bunker. There's incoming flak from her own party. She's under fire. She's under fire. Anna, I'll be welcome to the show. How are you hey?
Speaker 3: Good morning, good morning. I appreciate that opting to be here today about this great new music venue. We're going to get in Cincinnati, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So let's begin with that. There were I mentioned the eight economic indicators suggested a fewer people visited downtown in twenty twenty five over twenty twenty four. Could that be the economy?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Could it be the crime spike and the perception that Cincinnati is dystopian from the suburban nights, that you need to come in every so often and pay for stuff through the form of taxes. A bus ridership dropped in the core weekdays are down street cars down Bank's amenity fever at their revenue dropped eleven percent year over year. Certainly the hamlet County South tex grew six percent, but it didn't appear to reach downtown businesses. So people in residence. You asked the survey and the number roads number one among the thirteen city services, and it was dead last and satisfaction. We're going to see, as you know, with the snow now gone, it's pothole hell in Cincinnati. We're about ten years behind fixing this whole thing. But that's the truth. The optics are that you guys are taking money to spa on a music venue and not take care into the roads. How do you defend that.
Speaker 3: Uh, well, we so thank you for bringing up the survey. I do want to also highlight, you know, last year was an interesting time because the Convention Center was also construction, so under construction. So hoping now that that's up and running and you know, well and in a couple of years here at the hotel back online. These are the types of investments a city really needs to make to make sure that we do have that exciting urban core that people have something to come down to and spend their money at. So these are all big investments that we make at the city. And so this the next venue, the Farmer Music Center with River Bend two point zero, whatever you want to call it, is going to be one of those big marquee attractions. You know, I'm absolutely throughout the previous River Bend, which I think we all knew and loved and I spent many well that I mean, I've got some good, good memory from Warp Tour back.
Speaker 5: In the day.
Speaker 6: But you won.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was out out of the out the city of Cincinnati was in you know, Anderson. The new Farmer Center is going to Music Center is going to be in the city, which means we are going to benefit from earning stacks, so when people are working jobs there, but then also the emission stack, the pickettack, so as musical acts and attractions are putting on performance there, the city of Cincinnati gets this slice of that. And so looking at this is a huge investment for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. The one hundred and sixty million dollar price tag for this new facility here, and it's gonna be great the city of Cincinnati. We're putting an eight million We are going to earn those dollars back in like five years, and then we are one to continue to make that money for the rest of the life of this venue. And that's strep dollars into the city budget, right. And on top of that, you've got to quote economic impact, which the indicators show that we're expecting one hundred million dollars of economic impact. So to your kind of key up around people coming down town, I know this is a quite downtown Cincinnati, and visitors are going to stay at our hotels, go to our restaurants, visit our small businesses, go to our museum center. Do all of those things that I love about Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: One may ask, though an all but is that okay, it's not like this is a brand new bill. Now you're making it bigger and better and better, absolutely, and which is way overneeded because you go and you look, it looks kind of tired in there. It's still a great quest. Yeah, you get a great, great play. You know, the bathrooms are hard to get to and and uh, it needs it needs a little jugien up. There's not even the River Bend. People say that I and it's such a crown jewel. You're right about keeping that going. But I guess the question I would have is this is not a new bill. This is not new revenue coming. And maybe slightly if you had a more stage and more many of these maybe get bigger action. But you're saying that this is going to be a big boon to the economy. But the boon's already there, isn't it. I mean, you may see a little bit of an increase in revenue, but it ain't. It's not going to be like new revenue because River Bends already existing.
Speaker 3: It's a new stage. So the River Bend that you and I know and love is going offline, and the Farmer Music Center is going to be a new State, a new amphitheater with seating for up to twenty thousand people. I don't know the exact seating of Old River Bend, but I know this is going to be larger, and that means you can attract bigger acts, right, more people coming to putting Cincinnati on their summer tour lineup. I mean, I can't tell you how many times I go to look up a favorite artist in the nearest place they are is Columbus or Lobo or Indianapolis. Right, So we can have the opportunity here to be that summer destination for those summer acts that are going on tour.
Speaker 2: I guess the pushback there would be kind of a little bit about this with you know, Live Nation, Ticketmaster and all those things are into the business. Anna, is that the problem that I hear from promoters is that the big acts and I'm talking like you know, the Foo Fighter stuff like that, right, big big acts beyond it, they want one hundred percent of the gate. The problem is the deal is that MEBI takes like thirty five percent off the top, and that's why they go to other states, not here. Not all the reasons, but one of the main reasons, how does that remedy this.
Speaker 7: Hey, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know about me and ized revenue stream exact. I don't know the details there. But when you're talking about acts that day, right, Beyonce can Philip hey Court, right, Taylor Swift effect, and I think we would all love for a Beyonce concert here, right, So then you're in a difference.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess we're of a stadium like Taylor Swift. But the point is that if they're taking a more than a third off the top and the premioer's like, well, we want one hundred percent of the gate for the bigger X. Is that why we don't get the bigger AX? Is that a question you asked?
Speaker 3: There are so many acts though that that aren't the Beyonces of the world, that we still want to come here. This will be a destination.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: And honestly, like, there is nothing better than enjoying a wonderful summer day watching musical acts. It's one of my favorite things. And to be able to be also a home for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, the opera, the ballet hopefully. I don't know if you remember this, but during COVID times, the Opera did performances outside in a park way up in Blue ash and I fall carmon there and to this day my favorite performance at the opera. It was just you take this art form that usually kind of in music hall and kind of has that got ro to it and brought it to the people, you know, on lawn chairs, and it was one of the most fun actidomies.
Speaker 2: That's the type of potential. I don't know if the model is though, that we're going to see the bigger acts because of the way the revenue stream, the way of the revenue sharing works. And I'll be council member who sponsored a resolution to take eight million dollars and I would say fairly an investment, not just giving an eight million dollar grant, but she expects a five year return on that investment and then in perpetuity. And this has got to get done as part of the twenty twenty seven budget, which got told July first to get this done. So she seth Walsh, Nolan Owens and James all voting yes. The nose were council members Jeffrey Kearney, Johnson, and Jeffrey Kramerding will be on the show tomorrow to kind of respond to this as well. On the no side of this thing, we do you face a thirty five million dollar general fund deficit, the eight million would come from a separate budget. I think there's a distinction there that that is emphasized. But at the same time, I know the mayor came at you pretty hard yesterday during the meeting and impressed you on what the actual funding app is and specifically why eight million dollars in the project is the project game to perceived because you're still like one hundred million short.
Speaker 3: Right, great question, Yeah, this is you know, this is a big project. The full all in press stag is one hundred and sixty millions. But along the way there are key milestones the CSO needs to meet the keep construction going so it can actually open on time. The goal is to open this venue spring twenty twenty seven, so we got like what twelve to fourteen months here to get it done. So you know, this eight million helps get to that next key funding milestone to make sure that construction is ongoing because you see you also probably saw this week the latest reports on the cost of the Brent Spence Bridge. Yeah, right, when these things drag out costs. Just the loon they get bigger and bigger, right, So being able to get this money early and make sure the process is going is so vital. And we talk about that all the time at city Hall. We hear over and over time as money time is money, time is money. And in this case, you know, we're not talking about housing development or convention center bridge. We're talking about a non profit that is bringing on this nation leading you know, music venue, bringing that to our city. So we got to beither to help our art scene. And it's just an extra bonus to me that it's such a strong nonprofit leader with the Cincinna Symphony Orchestra.
Speaker 2: Council member Analybe the city manager said, hey, listen, you know what we I think the initial thing you said was, well, you know, the numbers look good, the profile and the city manager's office said, well, we didn't vet the finances, we didn't look over this the numbers. We didn't analyze us and break it down to see if what you were told is accurate. Not that you know you find information now, you're not an accountant, you're not the person's doing this. You demand reports, you look at them and go this is a good investment for the city. The city manager says, that didn't happen in this case. What's the truth.
Speaker 3: So there were definitely conversations between the city and the CSO, and you know, all the numbers that they're sharing with us in terms of the total costs, how much they fund raise, what the gap is, that's all accurate, and part of that is why to in the resolution, we had some very technical language that read that this allocation will be contingent upon the administration's projects underwriting, standard review process, and other conditions appropriate and necessary to guarantee the completion of the project. We want to make sure that these dollars from the city, they are taxpayer dollars, you know, are put to good youth. So we are going to do all that due diligence, and yesterday's a resolution, right, it's basically a declaration from the City Cincinnati, led by five of my council member colleagues, to say this is a worthwhile investment. The next steps is this is going to be put into the budget priority motion that a County member Prime Meeting's office will will lead and then that will go to the city manager. The city manager and that has a bunch of different priority areas. Right, that's where we get to say how much money we want to spend on housing, how much we want to spend on food access, right, all those things. City manner takes all that, puts together the budget and then that will come back to the city Council after the mayor sees it in come June roughly, and that's when we'll vote on it officially. All right, those are out the door.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, that's important to say. We just didn't give eight million dollars. Say here you go. There's got to be metrics that are hit before that triggers the eight million dollars.
Speaker 3: Correct, correct, yep, yep. And making sure we do all that due diligence, make sure the contracting is done and we have all those terms in that contract to ensure that these tax dollars are protected and that we know they are going to be put to good use.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: So the client claim that there's no pro former here, meaning that no one has examined the numbers and kicked it around to see how accurate they are and if indeed the eight million dollar investment will be turned in five six years. So the claim that the city's just handing out eight million dollars with no proformance? Is false?
Speaker 7: Correct?
Speaker 1: Right, that's what I.
Speaker 2: Want to say. All that worked, all right, you're doing all that stuff. This is just a peremptory vote. Okay, I got it. So you know the other question I one may have here too, is I heard this, and I think people hear this, and as you know, Anna, we hear headlines. We don't hear that the in depth story, and I think this is fair. Is you hear this and go okay, Well, they're giving out eight million dollars. The roads are falling apart, crime is rising, the city's thirty five million dollars upside down, but we're giving a ready rich people eight million dollars. See this somehow gets cut to the front of the budget line, which is one of the cries effort from at least of other council members who voted against this and said, how the hell did this get pushed to the top and it just kind of came out of nowhere? Is that true?
Speaker 3: No, We've been briefed on this for the past year. We've known as coming for a long time, that this project was coming, and you know, you mentioned briefly earlier, but just to clarify for your listeners. So, the City Cincinnati or any government has two budgets, yeah, operating budget and a capital budget. The operating budget is like where people's salaries come out of, where we fund you know, various programs. So some of the food access work that I've done that comes out of the operating budget. The capital budget, right, those are for things that you can see, touch, feel, right, the building stuff. We are really grateful that when it comes to things like paving growths, we have those Cincion track dollars from selling the railroad and last year we allocated twenty million dollars for road repaving. This year we'll do twenty one millions. And you know what we found out the city literally does not have the capacity get those dollars out the door as fast as we are allocating them. And that came up this week when the Director of Transportation Engineering presented to council about his budget priorities going into this year, and you heard a lot of us really hone in on the fact that in the resident survey, potholes was the number one concern, really closely by sidewalks, which is another passion area for me. And you heard him say that he's trying to shrink the process down for repaving roads from an eighteen month process down to twelve, right, so he literally does not have the capacity currently to pave the roads as quickly as we are allocating money. So we are putting the dollars there. The council has done our job, and frankly, it is on the City Manager's office at this point to improve their operational capacity to get those dollars out the door. And that came up in her city manager review.
Speaker 2: Well, this is we've known this. With the railroad money, It's going to take you ten years just to catch up. That's how far that's how far behind we are in repairing potholes and fix the streets.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yes, and you know what, I'm mad that previous you know, city councils didn't allocate the money that they needed to along the way. Right this, the third maintenance cost is a killer. We're paying playing catchup for decades of neglect and it's frustrating. So, you know, I'm grateful again to the residents and citizens of Cincinnati for voting for that really historic sale of the railroad that gives us the resources to we start digging our way out of that hole.
Speaker 2: Well, the fact that the matter of those anahobeous is you know this is a non binding this is non biting vote anyway, So it's going to be voted on as council as a hole. The Mayor and four other members of the nine on council are not fans of this whole thing. They voted against it. The mayor really took you to task publicly yesterday. If you heard any of those cuts or saw any of the coverage here is.
Speaker 3: That I lived it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you lived it. He wanted. He was pretty tough on you, and you know you couldn't answer the basic question about what the funding gap is. Why eight million dollars, whether the project proceeds about the city's money, is that why you did that? Four members of council voted against.
Speaker 4: You on this.
Speaker 3: Hey, I want to be really clear. The total price tag is one hundred and sixty million. They are CSO is sitting at seventy six million in hand now right, that is the funding gap. But there are key milestones along the way and we this eight million will help them get to that next key milestone. They need to keep construction going and frankly, the mayor has been briefed on that many times, just like I have. And we also know that the CFO, you know, is looking at state dollars, not just the state capital but you know, hopefully dollars get unlocked in that unclaimed funds application process is caught up in the courts now, but that's another really great opportunity, and we really want to equip the cso to be able to go up there make the best case that the city is on board. Like, it is wild to me that we are having arguments about you know, process of you know, when when this resolution was done versus not when we are talking about a major investment that's going to pay back, pay us back in five years and those dollars, Just to be clear, we're making an investment out of those capital fund dollars, but the revenue we're getting back is into the operating fund, which is what can go towards that deficit you've been alluding to the whole time, Right, So these are dollars coming back to address that thirty million dollar deficit back to us. Right, We are going to get that money back in five within five years and then forever, I mean I just don't know who looking at that says that that's, you know, not a great idea.
Speaker 2: Well, there are a lot of questions. There's a lot of question marks there right. The Symphony said, seventy six percent of the funding secured. The Farmers gave sixty million dollars. The Farmer Family Foundation did if the project already funded an under construction, people are going to whiz the eight million dollars so urgent. Not only that, as I said, other members of council said, man, this is came like got pushed to the front of the pack with other budget issues and concerns there. And if I'm a voter, I'm gonna put myself in the final I know we're runing late in I appreciate your time as always. If I'm a voter, I'm hearing this thing and going, man, this thing feels rush. You're giving eight million dollars to me me, and there's a lot of questions weren't unanswered. I think in the mind of not maybe all voters, but a voter may think, look, the city's handing out eight million dollars with none of the big financial questions answered. The mayor is not happy about this. At least half almost half a council is it looks to me like this is PG sitting Feld, this is Jeff Pastor, this is Ta Maya denied all over again. I'm not alleging you. I don't think you're in on this, but I could see how a void er think. Are we just saying? Is this just on the round of kickbacks coming towards people because we're a little jada these days as voters about pop politics. Anny, you know what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying, I understand being jaded. I'm not going to take the date on that because I find the premise insulting. But again, the urgency here is to make sure the construction can continue. Again, there is a real possibility that if certain funding deadlines aren't hit, construction halts, and as I've said before, construction halts, costs go up, and we in any of those tax revenue dollars that we're looking forward to getting at the city, those are delayed another year, two years, whatever that looks like. So the urgency is to make sure we can actually get this built and open in time. And by the way, next spring is right ahead, right before the summer concert series, right, you don't want to miss that you three month gap that's going to bring in the most revenue from an outdoor venue. So that is the urgency. The urgency is real. I understand some of my colleagues didn't love love the process, but again, this will go through the budget process just like everything else, and we will vote finally officially to approve those dollars int you with the rest of the budget.
Speaker 2: Well, again, this is not binding. It's gonna take some time. So everybody, just, you know, stop for a second. Let's think about this. Because you know, you can fix potholes, you can hopefully solve crime, and you can walk and chew gun them at the same time. And I think a new river bed in newly imagined Riverbend is a long time overdue, as we talked about it. It's just like the timing is tough, I think for a lot of voters right now. And I know you appreciate that. And I'll be all the best. Thanks for jumping on the show this morning. We'll chat again soon. Be well. Take care, take care. We got to get a news update and she was a little offended there about the kickback question, and I think I was fair in saying I don't think it's you or anything, but a voter could think that, Wait a minute, didn't we just go through this with city council. We're getting projects stuff. I don't care. What was it with the Brady Center, right, was it? Tamya Darren said, I don't care. This is a This is a music venue for white people, I believe, is what she said. If I'm not mistaken, I'll just I'll get the money and go on vacation. Is what you did? Jeff Paster PG sittin'val of course and his thing in court? Are you thinking the same thing here? I mean that was like one of the first things I thought of, Like, this thing's kind of come out of the blue. Didn't we just go through this a few years ago? And are you that jaded? Because I am. We'll talk about it next on the show. Seven hundred W all right, Scott's loan here. This is seven hundred WLW. Just trying to keep it real because you know, it's our money first of all, and I don't care who's in office. We got to do a better job keeping an eye on these people. And that's what the bottom line is. And I just got off the phone here with Annah Albey, council member talking about the city in her motion to take eight million dollars of money and give it to me, me and essentially Riverfront, to redo Riverfront and make it Riverfront two point zero. I think we all agree. I love going to shows there. I think it's a great venue done by the river, but it's a little tired, it's a little dusty, needs to be cleaned up, reimagined. They want to do that taking Coney Island. I think that was a good investment. Getting of the starlight pool good and a good idea. Let's turn this into a giant riverside music venue, not just one stage or I guess you include PNC banking there, but make it a multi stage environment. That's great. Good, we'll get some money back from that. I love investing in fun things. We need more fun things to do.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 2: All great, no doubt about it. But it doesn't mean we can't give you a little bit of side eye, as I did with that. I going, hey, okay, look, even people in your own party. Hell, the mayor. Mayor loves throwing money around. Right, City's thirty five billion dollars upside down, Clearly, Council in the city likes spending money on stuff. And when the mayor himself, when I have to have pureval, comes out and goes, hey, you know what, I got some questions. I got a few questions here when people like Scottie Johnson and others come out and go, I got some questions here for you, Just a few questions about the money, you know, Namely, we just you know, we look at this and go all right, we've got potholes to fill, we got crime being a We've got roads ranking number one in the survey we just did a residence and number one of importance is thirteen of thirteen city services, roads ranked number one. It was dead lasting satisfaction. And I know it's taking a long time. And I pointed out where her ten years is the timeline for getting the roads to where they need to be. That's how far behind we are. You can't do it overnight. And I appreciate that, not once, I really really do. But when there's questions about where the money's coming from, and what is the oversight on the money, and why did this thing get moved up to the front of the budget list, and what the hell's going on, we got a problem. Just handing out eight million dollars. No, granted, there is no this is not binding, this is just moving it forward. But again, see optics. Our optics are very important part. I mentioned her and she was a little offended by this, and I said, you know, I don't think it's her. I think she's finally she's going to do this. But if you're a voter, you've seen this movie before and in the past, and I see better than I hear, and I know history is a great indicator for you or future behavior. We know that Tamaya Denard Soldier vote. We know that Jeffrey Pastor took money. We know that PG Sittenfeld got convicted. I also know that House Bill six, the House Bill six scandal in the state House, and that's Republicans, not Democrats. It's the largest public corruption case in Ohio history. Sixty million dollar scheme by First Energy and utility companies to buy seats to buy votes in the Ohio House, with Larry Householder and others, Matt Borges and others, former chair of the Ohio Republican Party, that they got four point three million dollars in kickbacks bribe money from First Energy. I also look at what happened, and I was just starting in radio then talk radio. But I remember coin Gate with Bob Taft first it was at the sixty seventh governor of the Buckeye State and the state was became a state in eighteen oh three, so that's a lot of time. First time ever in Ohio governor sitting governor's charge with the crime all in office. That's remarkable, and that's again a Republican. But I look at someone like Bob Menendez, New Jersey. I look at Rod Blagoyevitch in Illinois. I look at what how Kuyahoga County they had to pay for play scandal there about ten years ago. The commissioner up there was the biggest fishing to see a corrupt local appointees who are lining their pockets with bribes at the expensive taxpayers. Now, I think a dozens of elected officials are jammed up in that. We've had scandals in Columbus and Toledo and elsewhere. So I'm sorry, I see better than I hear. And to ask the question, man, there are a lot more questions about the money and how much money you're gonna make off of this, And it seems kind of rushed, even though you've spent on the docket for about a year. She said, I'm kind of jaded by politics. Are you jaded by politics? Are you jaded by Baden switch? Are you jaded by the fact that we have a politician saying something and then doing something completely different? And yeah, I'm talking about Trump, I'm talking about the wars, I'm talking about a bunch of things. But I'm also talking about the Democrats at run Hamlin County. And if you are a person who looks at your own personal finances, your own pocketbook, your own future, your kid's future, your retirement, their education, whether or not you can afford to put gas in your car, whether or not you can afford to buy beef, I think a legitimate question is are we just back to where we were and have seen time and time and time again that if there are a lot of questions being answered, or you don't have any answers to the questions being asked, I guess should we be looking at it going, Okay, are we doing this whole are we doing this whole kickback scheme again? And you know, I don't think Anna is part of that. She doesn't strike me as that type of person. But you know, we've seen this elsewhere and it's not a reflection I think on her or a certain member of council. I think it is a reflection poorly of our political process that we almost expect these people because we've had a long history in this country of it to being on the take. And you know, when you don't have the questions answered, the basic questions answered that we're asked yesterday, it makes one think what the hell's going on here? So maybe preparation of these things is key. And I think there's a fair question. I'm sorry to offender, but I think it's and if you're listening, it wasn't meant for you necessarily. But we're all jaded as voters right now. The process sucks. We've got a government shutdown we quit paying attention about. You've got people in Tsa not getting paid for a day's work. That's a huge problem. We've got gas prices up, that's a huge problem. We've got a war in Iran with no edges, your edgy, no support. That's a big problem. Locally here in Cincinnati, we've got a thirty five million dollar budget because of irresponsible spending. That's a problem. I think we just wanted to be functional in work, and right now it's failing us. It's failing us because this is what we asked for, this is what we voted for, and we just continue to make the same mistakes over But the idea that somehow that this nation of ours was founded by men who literally put the countries into serson not their own, but that has become a parody because it's flipped the other way, and it's not reason. It's been going on for a long time, and I certainly don't want to say the sky has following the economy's falling apart. If you step back and look at it, quite honestly, depending on who's president, a Democrat or Republican, whether it's Biden or Trump, whether it's JD. Vance or Kamala Harris, the thing is this, the needle really hasn't moved all that much. We've traded one plus for a negative essentially. You know, gas prices are a but you know, you look at other other indicators in the market that have offset that, and largely the needle hasn't moved all that much. I think a great example at his doge, Hey, Dug, we're gonna blow this whole thing up with a gut gut got and get what happened? Nothing, nothing changed, to show you just how embedded this is, to show you how how little it really, how little the needle moves, regardless of who is the president of the United States. And pairing that back, of course, the local politics here, same kind of thing. I mean, you know it may change, and that people may change, but don't the patterns remain the same, and we got to keep an eye on that. I think it's a fair thing for us as taxpayers to look at this. And I don't live in Cincinnati, and you might, and maybe we don't live in Cincinnati, probably probably don't. But this also applies to our our counties and are the towns in which we live. Is to keep an eye we just don't trust, and I think we shouldn't trust just because they have an R or a D next to their name, the person doing the job for us. It's like we have lost sight of the fact that we have to be extremely critical otherwise things get out of whack. We have to keep a chain of going. Hey, I may have supported and voted for you to support you, but I keep my eye on you. I'm keeping my eye on you. We have lost our ability to do that because of this whole loyalty pledge, the silly loyalty pledge that we have to take regardless of who's in power, and we got to go completely. I mean, there's it's not a scandal really, It's all a bunch of infighting up in Warren County where I am with the commissioners up there, because someone is being critical of someone else and you got to go along with it. We're going to throw you out. It's just it's nonsensical be accountable to the people who put you there. And I have a sense that whether it's Democrats or Republicans in this case, Democrats were not getting that and that should cause us all to be concerned because every November they come around asking for votes and oh, it's going to be different. Now this is we got to we're gonna chie I'm coming in and we're going to change things. But nothing really seems like it changes. And it's I know, it's an incredibly jaded look at things going. All right, somebody getting money a kickback here from from River Ben.
Speaker 7: It does.
Speaker 2: I'm not indicting River Bend. I'm not indicting Anna Albe anyone who voted for this the contrary, It's just showing us that we These are the questions I think normal people have going. I've seen this before. Is it happening again? And will history repeat itself? It seems like it always does in America. It always does five one, three, seven, four nine, the big one. It's talked back on your eye at Radio app I personally, you know, in a perfect world, I think taking eight million dollars of city money even though they can't afford, like, if you can guarantee I don't know if there's no guarantees in life, but if you can come up with analysis it shows you're gonna get that money back in five years in perpetuity for a place that's already existed, I think that's a good investment. I know that a lot of industry theater, for example, as we know, is dying movie theaters from big big trouble. Big trouble bars are in big trouble right now because fewer people are drinking. But I will say the one area that there's tremendous growth and has been live music. We love live music. Why well, through the rings I mentioned, we can escape for a few hours. We can escape for all weekend if it's a you know, a festival or something like that, and go and just listen to live music. It's wonderful. It's good for the souldier outside. Where Ever, Ben is an amazing place, amazing place to do that I would love to see. I will desperately want to see Riverbend get blown up and redone, and they want to do that. We should make that happen because it has been neglected for too long. You can hopefully bring bigger acts. And now it did point out about how the how the structure works in Cincinnati, and she wasn't aware of that. But you know that's something that a new I guess a new venue may not help when it comes attracting those acts. But nonetheless I'm all for it. I push behind that going. I listen. If we can do this for eight million dollars in help gets across the finish line, I think that's money well spent considering how much money is going to come in and the sheer enjoyment of live music. It's another place to go and hang out. We need more of that stuff. We don't need less, we need more, but I also am cautioned to look at this and go care. Are we just taking money and going, hey, here you go, here's some money. Don't don't worry about it. I think that's a legitimate question that has been answered by four of the nine members of city council, and Jeff Kramerting will be on the show tomorrow to discuss that. At some point here on seven hundred WWT, let me go to Tony in Fairfield on Scott's Slanchow ton It's up.
Speaker 7: Yes, I just thought him.
Speaker 10: Another big expense that your councilwoman forgot about was that the millions and millions are gonna have to pay the chief police after her inlaws.
Speaker 2: There's no time about that. We got to pay that. Maybe eight million dollars is right there.
Speaker 10: Well, you don't know the half of it. Even the corner in Hamilton County is creative enough to figure out a way to make the corner's job corrupt. Myself and my family have gotten twelve thousand dollars in money from lawsuit class action suits against the corner.
Speaker 2: How many times twelve million? And you've done that numerous How many times have you died to.
Speaker 10: No, not twelve million?
Speaker 7: Twelve thousand, twelve thousand?
Speaker 2: How many times have you died? How many? How my wife died?
Speaker 10: My wife died, and the Corner stole her brain in her heart and put in a jar. And see the taxpayers of Hamilton County had no idea of the corruption.
Speaker 2: Well, what's corrupt about you? If they do it? What did Tony?
Speaker 4: Can? I ask?
Speaker 2: What did she doe?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 10: No, no, no no. I got a call from the Special Master's assistant saying, did you give permission for the corner to take to your wife's heart and brain and put in it and preserve it? I says, well, no, they never asked. I probably would have allowed it if it would help save somebody else's wife, right, But he said.
Speaker 2: Oh, is that correct?
Speaker 10: These are hundreds of people they found, are organs in jars? Now why they would do that?
Speaker 7: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I think, I guess that's kind of what happens with the corner. I mean, I don't know the interview. I'm sorry for your loss, but I know the intricacies there. I think that's pretty much the job of the corner, right is she generally goes in and finds closet death. You may preserve, so that sort of evidence. I don't know the inter case in details of the case, but that sounds like maybe a topic for a future show. I mean, I guess at the end of the day, eight million dollars a lot better than somebody's you know, the old hearts and lungs in a jar, so I guess it could be worse. Thanks to the perspective. Tony coming up after the break, after news, full weather, forecast, traffic, and the latest from around the world. And here locally, we'll get with Steve good and of course local attorney Steve Gooden. He always follows these weird cases for me. I put him on the job on this one, I said, I signed him this task follow the Afroman case for me. I had Anna Castellini, I think was her name. She was the attorney for Afroman. And then I don't know if there's a falling out or he'd moved to a different attorney. I'm not sure what happened. And then that attorney she would come on the show. The new guy's like, well, I might come on after. I also try to get Afroman out of some point and hear his story because it's an awesome case and the most entertaining court case I've seen in a long time. And God knows we entertainment because this other stuff is way too serious. Steve Gooden is here. Afroman gets his day in court and he wins. He beat the hell out of seven cops with a pound cake and he got away with it. Next seven hundred wty Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: You want to be a Manican?
Speaker 4: Do it?
Speaker 2: Floating here? Seven hundred WLW Are you cutting through it today? My favorite, my favorite court case a long time coming down the pike here, it's over them are the said because a rapper just beat the hell out of seven cops and he got away with it because he used a lemon pound cake. The afro Man verdict is in. It is in, and he's a winter chicken dinner.
Speaker 11: Mine eyes seen the corruption of the Adam County cops.
Speaker 7: Still in Money's still in cake. When they make they.
Speaker 11: Traffic stops, first they screw.
Speaker 7: You, then they sue you.
Speaker 11: Play a game, man, dismiss your claims, the proofs, sondy Inner.
Speaker 2: You can't get the song out of your head.
Speaker 11: Ahfro Man, We'll bring it to ya. Ahfro Man is gone a dude, Ye nahfro man, he's gonna screw ya, my proofs son.
Speaker 12: The inner he is also enthralled with the case, and that would be the esteem councilor Steve Gooden, who has had his number of defamation cases he's defended successfully or otherwise.
Speaker 7: Steve welcome, it's good to be his ty. Good work.
Speaker 2: This is going to be one of the better cases to follow because it had all the live action. As the segment would say in it, you had everything here and it just made the Adams County Sheriff's Department look so damn incompetent. Normally, almost not always, but almost always side with the on the side of police officers. I watched this thing and said, there's no way in hell that this defamation suit can win. You have so many elements here, let's lay that out this morning here Steve Goodman, the jury side with Affreman rather quickly too. I think the verdict came out pretty quickly. What, in your opinion, the strongest legal argument that won this case.
Speaker 4: Was what well, I mean that it shouldn't have been brought in the first place. And frankly, you know, they had a visiting judge and until folks who like me watched a lot of this. If the judge looks familiar, he's a retired judge who has actually made a lot of headlines, you know, as the visiting judge and the Wagner murder cases out in Pike County, so he kind of travels that circuit. And the judge there obviously had a conflict in Adams County because he'd presumably it signed the search warrant which turned out to be a fruitless search warrant based on bad information. We're guessing because they searched the guy's house and found nothing. But really, I mean, the judge should have thrown the case out at the summary judgment stage. In my view, they just these police officers are quasi public figures, what they call limited these public figures. They did go into his house on public business. Afroman is allowed to comment on it, and I will say, you know, the only arguments that the police officers really had is you played one of the songs. That's pretty mild. Some of the songs are pretty raunchy. Afroman did insinuate in a couple places or flat out state clearly ingest, but stated that he had sex with some of their wives and things of that nature. He was really there's a lot of locker room talk where he's trying to get under their skin and really trying to even because they really knocked his door down. They came in with a battering ram, They went through his house, they took money. There was four hundred dollars in cash missing that was never accounted for. He alleges, and they ended up being a whole separate investigation. But the Claremont County Sheriff's Department into the missing four hundred dollars and it was inconclusive. Really, I don't think they didn't feel if the officer stole it that they thought they might have had a miscount or something. But the whole thing so murky. It's the thing you would never want to have in front of a jury. And you're right, the court, you know, the closing statements wrapped up around three or four o'clock and apparently what I was told was the jury, you know, was about to go home to the day and they signaled to the judge, now, no, no, I think we'll just stay here and knock this out, you know, And by eight o'clock or so they had it all resolved in his favor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was. It was It didn't look good from the beginning because as you mentioned, you know, they counted five down. They go in by the way, this in August of twenty twenty two deputies in Adams County. They break his gate down, they kick in his door. They have a tactical assault team. It looks like because they got their tactical gear on and a number of officers they kick his door in. There they had I guess testimony or they had someone tell them a confidential informant say yeah, he's got drugs and he's got people keep kidnapped in his house. All they came across was a vappen a part of a joint, so a roach and five thousand dollars cash. And then they counted the five thousand and then it was four hundred was missing. But it turns out that after an internal investigation out they miscounted they couldn't count the five thousand.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: And he turned the home surveillance footage that he had from inside his own kitchen and elsewhere into songs online like Lemon pound Cake, which is hysterical because one of the thicker deputies has his look at a poum cake like it's a suspect that he's about to take down, and it's one of the funniest clips you'll ever see in this music video. And they made a whole song called Lemon pound Cake because his mom made him a lemon pound cake under glass and this deputy he wanted to attack this thing like a canine on a suspect. Over three million views on YouTube, and the claim by the deputies was unauthorized exus a likeness, defamation of rives, the intentional infliction of emotional distress. They're looking for almost four million dollars. One of the female deputy's broke into tears during a suggestive music video target targeting her, so she was upset about this whole thing. But it goes to show you if you're working in the public interest and you bought something this badly, the jury's going to side with you. Plus he's a very very likable individual with the music and everything else. Who showed up the court where in his American flag suit, which I found really really funny. The glasses and everything else extremely articulated to his defense, and I don't know how Jerry would have ruled otherwise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, he did a very good job of pretending you're both to this court, in the court of public opinion. He has a younger lawyer from Adams County named dj Osborne that he hired, who was a former prosecutor who really knows the lay of the land out there, and that was a brilliant choice. A lot of folks that think, you know, in Afroman's position, would make the mistake of bringing in a lawyer from a big city who really knows the law of defamation quote unquote, but nobio. Defamation is very simple. You have to prove that there was either you were either portrayed in the false light, that there was an out and out lie told about you the gravity of you know. You also have to show that you suffered some damages from it. I mean, it's a relatively simple thing. And here his whole defense was basically twofold. Afroman's defense was these were public figures, so I'm allowed to comment, and my comments can be outrageous, and I can say things that are even false in my comments, because it's pretty clear I'm joking. I don't think anybody in the room really believed that Afroman had sex with the deputy's wife, you know, and that was actually one of the worst moments of the trial for the plaintiffs, because that deputy was cross examined by Afroman's lawyer and said, well, well, that's not true, is it. And he stumbled and said, well, I don't know if it's true or not. And that's the clip that's being paid over and over in the video. I'm like, well, I think you'd know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think he knew.
Speaker 4: He was in trouble, so he tried to waffle and then he throws his wife under the bus. Is probably unintentional, and it just became a comedy of aeras. Yeah, I don't know if she did or not. I mean that's a direct almost a direct quote. So it was, you know, the case really I think was kind of over, you know at that point, if it wasn't already, and it just did become sort of a you know, sort of a far said look.
Speaker 7: I get it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not unsympathetic to these police officers. I know last year when I ran for city council, I had he's like burner Twitter accounts calling me a white supremacist, a fascist. There was some guy following me around and sew me have a glass of white at dinner and suggested I had a drinking problem, was taking my pictures at dinner. But I was in the public eye, and you just have to Unfortunately, in this day and age, you have to put up with it and the idea that opinion covers a huge swath about things. When when when you're talking about public figures, I mean, you can say Congress is corrupt, okay, that all four hundred and thirty five members of Congress can't turn around and sue you and say, prove it's corrupt. That's your opinion that it's corrupt. You say, all cop their dirty. I don't believe that, because they all CONTs their dirty and you're allowed, you're entitled to that opinion. You can put it on the internet, and in this case after me, I actually had a following and more people saw it than you know, I put something on the internet, maybe three thousand on Facebook, maybe three or four thousand people see it, and he puts it out A million people see it. But that really doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Here he was he was selling merchandise though featuring the deputy's images. Does does that constant commercially use? Did that complicate the pure satire defense and how did the jury.
Speaker 4: Sy, Well, the jury didn't care, and I think rightfully so. But my guess is that that was the judges thinking in letting at least some of the claims go forward past summery judgment. I mean, typically what happens in defamation cases. I mean, look, they're filed all the time in Ohio, but they don't go to trial all that much because typically you have depositions, you have paper discovery and so forth, and a pretty robust summary judgment phase where a judge can look to see like, well, you know, this was either clearly true, clearly untrue, or just statire and opinion, and a lot of them get thrown out there. So that is the one thing that afro Man did, putting their their their the stills from his I think it's kind of ring to home security camera. Putting the putting them on there and actually selling the merchandise on his on his web page is something that probably did technically survive the some rejudgment phase. It doesn't mean the rest of the case should have. And but I think the judge, you know, let that go forward, and that was probably the one, the one little thing that they had legally that probably was questionable and could go to a jury, But still I don't there's no real litigation. He made real dollars out of it. And I think, just from my standpoint, if you know, there again, these guys are limited to these public figures who put themselves in this position. Uh, And I think, and it is kind of shocking. I mean, look, we don't know what information they did or didn't have, and they apparently thought it was credible. Apparently it was not. But you know, the scenes to them going in there were fully automatic weapons and battering grants and so forth. You know, it's not a good look. And the guy is at the pancake. The pancake does look good looking.
Speaker 2: It makes a look better when it's under glass like this was. I was like out of a Martha Stewart show or something like that, and I would have looked at it too. This guy was making sweet love to that poundcake with his eyeballs. That was the funniest moment probably that Lemon Palm cake video. But he sold merchandise with their image on that after that, And I don't think I don't have that complicates the puerce after a defense simply because he said he was using all the proceeds for his legal defense fund. That's going to go pretty well with the jury, whether he does.
Speaker 7: Or not, right, I mean, at the end of the day, it didn't matter. I mean, the jury saw the whole thing was a joke. You know that. You know, he wasn't.
Speaker 4: Seriously insinuating he's you know, having sex with anyone, or that anybody is really you know, horrifically you know, crooked or corrupt and to the extent they are, that's his opinion. And I think any and he and he really did a good job. I watched most of his testimony live. You know, affirm had did a really really good job of tacking everything back to the original incident. And he said, look, if these guys hadn't come into my house on that information.
Speaker 7: With guns drawn, knocked my door down, knocked.
Speaker 4: My gate down, stared at my pound cake, and then and then something maybe maybe or maybe not took some of my money, I wouldn't be here. I'd have no problem with them at all. And you know he wasn't even there, you know, when it occurred. Uh, So, you know, it's a I think a lot of people can can react to that as as government overreach. Uh, and the kind of thing that you do want to comment on, and and and again it's very interesting. I get to remember this is a scenario where the public officials bought the case. The police officers were the ones who were the plaineiffs. Sometimes I get lost in the telling it out, and that was just a yeah, that's it's also.
Speaker 2: The fact that it wouldn't be this bad had you not decided to sue him for almost four million dollars or this thing, because now you have to go on the stand and it's it makes it worse, not better for you, And you think I think that maybe they got some bad legal advice there, because the bar for alice and for defamation is just so damn high when it's a public figure that is acting on a warrant that turns out there was no crime being committed whatsoever. I think that's an important facet here, Steve Goodin, as we talk about the now international Afroman verdict and the rest of the countries out of this, it's a great story. No charge ever fought from the raid. So how much did that in fact influence the legal landscape for both sides, particular Afroman and that gave him more license to do what got him sued.
Speaker 4: Well, there were two I think key legal decisions these folks made. I mean one was that were one great. One bad one is you know, the officers probably should have never brought the claims. I understand they were upset. I know they were subject to harassment. I think the one officer said that he received over four hundred pound cakes in the mail from around the country in response because and I was no kidding, take him to some charities or whatever, but he was very offended by all these poundcakes coming in. The second thing that I think Afroman did his legal team did that was very very smart, was they could have filed some sort of a counterclaim here based upon the raid itself. They could have had their own piece of litigation. And they were really I think smart not to bring that because I think it would have muddied the waters and it would have really forced the jury to try to adjudicate some of the precise details about what happened that they didn't have to. So the typical case, you know, the typical advice is bring a counter claim pound these people, et cetera. And I think he would have looked very a bit less sympathetic if he had to defend his lifestyle, because I guess, you know, in fairness, I mean after me as a guy who who has made a career out of singing about marijuana use, and his songs are wanti and perhaps his lifestyle might not have, you know, stood up to the kind of scrutiny that would have come if he had been a plaineff. And you know, just you know, to the officers. I tell people this all the time, and it's corny, but it's true. There's that old line from Charles dickens Or he said, I've been ruined by a lawsuit twice, once as a defendant and once as a planeff. Sometimes being a planeff you can put your self out and expose yourself in a way. Sure they could end up in some real embarrassment. I think that's unfortunately what happened.
Speaker 2: And I think something lost. Maybe a nuance here, Steve is they got bad intel they got I think it was this confidential informat or informant or something. I said, hey, yeah, he's got people held hostage, he's got weed, he's got money. And they go and they don't find any of that stuff whatsoever. Five thousand dollars. K Hell, you could have a lot more than end in your house. It's your house, and it's it's legal tender.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's more of the uh, you know, the whole civil f asset forfeiture problem that I have. But nonetheless I look at the context of it and go they didn't find what they're looking for is is that the fault of the officers made the entry because they're they're they're not the ones who maybe they had the CEI I guess, but it's up to the prosecutor's officer termine whether or not there exists grounds for entry like that. Were the cops and so in some ways put in a situation they couldn't win.
Speaker 7: No, they absolutely were.
Speaker 4: And I see, I'm I'm not unsympathetic to some of these officers, some of them I dealt with. I've had many cases in Adams County over the years, and I can tell you you know, they were in a bad situation here. I don't know how credible the confidential informant was, but there had to be some level of credibility, and they had a search warrant, so both the prosecutor had to prepare that warrant and a judge had to sign off on it, so there were multiple levels of review, so there had to be some uh you know, I think the legal terms indische of reliability. There had to be some indicators that this was credible. So the officers were initially put in a bad position. I guess miley pushback is that sometimes, you know, police work is like any other profession. Sometimes things don't go as plan. Sometimes you do get bad information, sometimes things aren't right. But you are what we call it limited use public figure. When you're out there saying things and doing things, you are going to be subject to mockery. It's particularly now, and I know it's hard in the day and age where it's on the Internet and all kinds of people can see it on social media. But unfortunately that just comes with the job. Now, if you're in public office, people are going to say really really nasty stuff about you. And what I always tell people, or whether it be police officers I've represented in the past or public officials are represented now, maybe you should just stay off your phone for a while when something goes badly, to let it play out.
Speaker 2: It will move on, as usually is the case. But I do feel in that regard because the deputy is the ones kind of caught in the middle. Here was a prosecutor, the investigators and other forces. They just executed the warrant. They're not the ones who went out and sought the evidence. I don't think anyway. It's a small department, but there is that caveat there as well. But again, you know, when you got a guy making love to a palm cake with his eyeballs and some of the other things, miscounting the money that's most certainly on them, and you just, I guess, you know, sometimes you pee on the wrong fence. I guess is the old adagere Steve Gooden handled many a de defamation case as well, some good some bad Steve local attorney of course, thanks for coming on the show this morning.
Speaker 7: Straighten it out, hey anytime.
Speaker 2: Well there you go. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I think you know, he's just such a likable defendant that there's no Vayagerys gonna side by that guy. Hey, thanks to our friends at Dorothy Lane Market sent up a box lunches yesterday's I want to make sure I give him some love here because it's fantastic. I had that and pretty much didn't need any of the rest of the day. So if you're doing like a catering event or for the office or whatever it is, they everything's fresh. The sandwich is, the bread just baked. They slice the meat right there, lunch meat, cheeses, and the salads are fresh. They haven't been sitting there for days. They make everything in house, and dressings and all that as well. One of my favorites of the Bavarian pretzel sandwich. They have a deli walk in. You get a great rub in there. But let me tell you what's money is the Bavarian pretzel. So they do their own woodsmoke turkey, their own uncured smoked ham, salami, mustard, provolone. They make the rolls right there, fresh in house, fresh pretzel bun in this case an amazing sandwich. So you're doing a box, lug box salad, whatever it is. Dorothy Lane Market in Mason and of course the original location in Dayton. Thanks again to Dorothy Lane Market. Sanja SHABERCREMANI are resident er doctor Fitness Eyes on the show next on seven hundred. WW boy, if this is not a bad food weekend, I don't want it is. It's gonna be wings, it's gonna be ribs, it's gonna be burgers, it's gonna be Nacho's questionable cheese with a Z. You name it, you're gonna be eat it. And I'd even start with the drink. By the way, of course, it's March Madness. Every Thursday morning, we have doctor Sanjay Shafer Kamani and he's an er doc. He is a food and fitness expert as well at Dine Well Dock and joins the show when he's not at Revived Fitness in Oakley. And I want to jump in this morning with the revised dietary guidelines real quick here, because a food pair actually kind of feels like it's leaning more in the fats on Jay, is that RFK Junior said, Hey, let's do whole fat milk back in schools and also let's pump protein a little bit more. I just wonder, like with all diet in health advisories and the food pyramids change in my lifetime, I can't count how many times same for you. I just wonder if you're just not trading one bad footing for another, like back in the day when you would when the fat free craze came in. It was great, you got her all the fat, but you just you just put more salt and especially sugar in these products.
Speaker 13: That's the problem exactly, And that's that's what a lot of the research has looked at sloan is. You know, it's not just eliminating one thing, it's what you do to replace it. And so a lot of the effects that we're seeing are negative by by reducing fat. I mean, certainly there's a lot of benefit to it, but it all depends on what you're substituting with.
Speaker 2: Right, there's been what is the benefit of the fat? I think for one? For me anyway, it seems like it's say it's satisfied.
Speaker 13: That's a huge say it. I mean, you know, there there are a ton if we're just going to talk about eating. Yeah, I mean, if you're if you're drinking skim milk, it's I don't enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Do you do? You like skim You know, I'm a two percent guy. Same And the thing about skim milk is it's like water, and after I drink it, like I still need something substantial, so I probably eat some snacks after it too. The nice thing about you know, the higher percentage fat milks is that you don't have to eat something afterwards. You may be more satiated, you may be more full, and so you're not kind of taking more calories in after that. That's one big thing, right, right, And there's a sense to that too. It's somehow the whole milk itld just tastes. But I remember one time were I was backpacking, right and we got done, like the only thing they had was whole milk in the cafeteria, and I crushed like five It was like the best tasting milk ever.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, It's just like something about whole milk. But you don't need a lot of it. It's it's so rich and satisfies you your taste. Budge, there's a trigger inside he says, Okay, you're good on the fat and the milk. That's all you need. Need a little bit. You don't need a half gallon, No, you don't.
Speaker 13: And and the thing is, to your point, it tastes good. And milk consumption's actually gone down markedly in the last fifty years, so like since the seventies, it's gone down like fifty percent as far as people drinking. It's probably because we've switched to lower fat and you know, health concerns for sure, but there is definitely a decrease in milk and some since the warning started coming out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sign you On top of that, I think back to eggs, right, Tony, Oh, cholesterol, and now we're like, well eat eggs.
Speaker 13: Well yeah, and that's the it's cholesterol, especially for you, right, it is good for you. You need some. I mean, everything's good in moderation. But it's just like everything else, we keep learning more and more. And I'll tell you when I was going through med school, it was saturated fats are the devil, you know, and and it's just a black and white that's given to you. And there are a ton of shades of gray in this and as we learn more, we're introducing more shades of gray. But we're also getting more clarification about why some people have good effects with things and other people don't.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's that you don't know till you get a diagnosis, right, if your body tolerates it exactly.
Speaker 13: And so you know, as much research as we do, everybody's an individual body is also going to react differently. But we are seeing larger population things that that are speaking to saturated fats and what effects are good and what effects are bad and who it's good for. And that's where this milk change came from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, so I think the research said that dairy fat may be at worst neutral, Is that an accurate assessment in your opinion?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: At worst neutral is confusing a bunch of words. But so the worst thing is the worst thing it happened for is nothing? Is that what they're saying essentially?
Speaker 13: I mean, that's what we're seeing right now, and I'll always qualify things with that. As far as findings in the literature, things are always bound to change, just like our two glasses of wine good or one glass of wine good. It's the same thing with this, but it's it's evolving. And so what we're learning is that dairy saturated fats, so the saturated fats that are included in things like yogurt, in milk and cheese, those are kind of they behave differently in our bodies, both with the absorption and what they do in our bodies, and so they have a different effect in our bodies than the saturated fats that we take in from meats and other things that have been demonized for so long.
Speaker 2: All right, so I'm still confused by the Sanjay, Can I still have a whole stick of butter for lunch?
Speaker 13: You can have two sloan but no one else, no one else listening can But I don't see.
Speaker 2: Sure the whole butter tastes great and bread whatever it is like it just you know, margarine, and we've got this this avocado oil butter and stuff like. Just have a little bit of butter.
Speaker 13: Yeah, So we'll be we'll be looking at the pyramid in a little bit, or at least the new guidelines right the butter. There's a picture of butter right in that triangle, and so you know, butter is fine to a certain amount, and again everything's good in moderation. It is not you know, butter is classified as dairy, but it's not the dairy we're talking about here with the really healthy saturated fats that will that could potentially improve your health. So again, it's the yogurt, it's the cheese, it's the milk. Those saturated fats in there maybe beneficial to health. And that's what we're seeing in a bunch of studies in the last decade.
Speaker 2: Wow, that it's actually good for you so or versus twenty something years of science that we thought, oh, it's all bad for you. It's kind of like the meat debate, you know, and the environment and all. We'll get to that in a second. But when they rolled out impossible burgers and you try that, you go, oh, that actually tastes because in the past is like, yeah, that tofurky stuff like uh nasty, Like why why if if you like tofu, eat the tofu? But why do you try to trick you into thinking it's something that it's not. You know, it's just it's like, well, it's gymnastics always because you know, my daughter when she was kissed, she went through the I'm in a vegan and then you buy this crap and she'd eat it because it tastes like crap, of course, and she died my nuggets. So we got problems. We're gonna go we're gonna throw down.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But but you look at this and go, okay, that that aside, when you get back to eggs and meat and dairy and just just have a little bit of the good stuff and you're satisfied and you're fine. Let's I mentioned the impossible burger. Same thing it's like you're trading. Okay, hey, that's no cholesterol, but it's got to help out of sodium in it.
Speaker 13: It's the sodium, but it's also the other stuff and that's not yeah, exactly the chemicals. And that's the That's the other part of this new guideline from the government is you know, eat real food.
Speaker 7: That's there.
Speaker 2: That's their three words.
Speaker 13: It's just real food as opposed to thing that have been ultraprocessed, which we're finding that is that is the enemy. That's that's where we really should be focusing our attention as opposed to you know, the saturated fats and eliminating fat, et cetera.
Speaker 2: How many days a week or how many times we could I I mean have a process. I mean, if you really want a you know, carry out cheeseburger or a pizza or something like that, there's going to be you know, process glue all that stuff. How many times? How often? It's hard?
Speaker 13: I like sticking to the eighty twenty rule general in my life, as far as you know, do eighty percent of the time do it well? Twenty percent of the time not so well? Loose Obviously, as a physician, I have to say never do it. But who's going to follow that? Not even myself? Yeah, because I love a good burger, right, and so I would say, you know, as long as five days out of the week you're eating healthy and watching all of that ultra processed food, you know, treat yourself, okay, once or twice a week.
Speaker 2: But sometimes like the junk food is like, for example, I like wings. So if I have chicken wing, it's a chicken wing and it's Frank's red hot, which is just you know, peppers and vinegar and salt. Essentially, there's nothing really processed about all that is there, but it's still bad for me. It depends where you're getting your wings. You're going out to a chain, you don't know what they're frying it in, you don't know what extra ingredients they're putting in it. But yeah, to your point, if you're making them at home and baking them especially, you can Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Can do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, All right, let's talk about the food minter again. It's our resident physician and health guy Health Food and Fitness coming together with Sanjay shev A Crimani. Let's talk about the new guidelines that rolled out recently for the food pyramid and obviously the dairy element comes and out the whole fat coming back, and so how much different is it? What are they calling for?
Speaker 13: So what they're calling for is increased amount of protein, so one and a half grams per kilogram to one point seven grams per kilogram of body weight. So for that, for me, I'm an American elish. That's the funny part is you know we have again and then we get kilograms in there, come on, come on. But yes, basically for you can come down to basically half a pound per sorry half u zero point five grams of protein per pounded body weight. And so for me it's a little over one hundred that I should be at. As far as as protein, protein, yeah, a lot of protein. It is a lot, and you know, it's much higher than what it was before. I think it was point eight to one. And so we're increasing by a scale of you know, almost seventy five percent increase, and so there is a lot to it as far as protein, not just satisfying your hunger, but what it does to our you know, our body mass and how we metabolize things and burn calories. And so what we're finding more and more is protein is is golden as far as its intake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, especially very lean proteins, chicken breast, things like that. You can't go wrong cooking that stuff for sure. So and his said, well, your body only needs a certain amount of this thing. But then you know, you look at bodybuilders. You know, you own a gym and guys there. You know, back in the day when I would left to see you need more prot than the guidelines recommend, you're taking a way more protein than that. Now your body just excreach. It's like, you know, vitamins or just makes her p expensive. But every successful bodybuilder I've ever seen or talked to, they eat incredible amount of protein. So there's some truth to this, and it's more about the well, it's about the science, and I see better than I hear.
Speaker 13: Yeah, there's a lot. I mean, especially if you if you do want to get stronger and stronger. Now, if you want to maintain, you don't have to pound the protein. But if you do want to get stronger, bigger, et cetera. Uh, increasing your protein intake is one of the cornerstones.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yeah, the new guidelines are increasing protein. It doesn't necessarily mean though, because often people confuse that protein thing with either I've got to drink you know, liquid abinos and all the or now I'm eating you know, hamburger every meal. That's not true at all. Funny, A lean pin pork always got a bad rap because it was fatty, but pork is extremely lean. Now pork is pretty lean.
Speaker 13: I'm still very much a fan of poultry and fish in general, especially fish coming through with the Mega threes and stuff like salmon. I even you know, macrol is one of those things that really comes up. And then sardines, which I'm weird and I love them, but I'm I'll put those things on my toast or my bagels in the morning. Fiance, you know, turns her nose up or just walks away when I do that.
Speaker 2: Get the seas are salad, I'm having to start. Ones don't fall on the list so much. Sardines are a little healthier, but anchovies do have their health benefits too, gotcha all right? Son, Jay? So we know protein is is it the top of the pyramid?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 13: So it they They've actually not. It's not really called a pyramid so much anymore. It's actually drawn as an inverted pyramid and overall, the the idea is balance, get a certain amount of a lot of healthy things and real foods. And so what you'll see is the picture depicted with vegetables and proteins up top, and then you'll have whole grains on the bottom, which is again a different change. It's you know, carbs are not the devil. You know, however, many years ago keto is all the rage. I know some people still do it, but where we're finding is balance is good and then paying more attention to the protein intake especially and then your fruits and vegetables.
Speaker 2: Is this all changed, this whole protein thing because of the keto rage and the fact that actually work it rks.
Speaker 13: I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of it. I mean, you know the keto craze was that was that diet actually originally came from treating patients with seizures and then they they found out like these kids are getting gains. No, it was more like the weight loss, and that's what happened, and people kind of jumped onto that. So we're going to continue to learn about this stuff. And I wouldn't be surprised. I have well, I have a little idea about what might be the next protein, which is fiber, which has been ignored for a long time, but fiber is probably going to be have more attention coming up to.
Speaker 2: So normally think fiber, you think carbohydrates.
Speaker 13: You don't think protein, right, and you know it is carbs, but they're usually not absorbed carbohydrates, so you don't have to worry so much about all the calories you're getting in because they're just kind of kind of pushed through your your intestines and leave the body. And so fiber is like a toothbrush or you're colon exactly power washing out there. And that's actually a great metaphor. It's you know, it really kind of moves things along and keeps you healthy. And we'll see where that goes. I don't have a lot of data to back that up, but I know that fiber is really getting more attention.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we overthink a lot of this stuff too. You know when it comes to diet, and you know, exercise is important. You know, try to get up one hundred and fifty two a couple hours of physical activity week you keep your heart raking and stuff like that. But you know what we put in our bodies. Some people are just so like John John from Over a Kiss, This this idiot. I see him in the kitchen the other day and he's got a bag of mushroom coffee. I'm like, I've heard about the mushroom coffee is coffee and jeopardy. I said, why mushroom clut? Well, you know it makes me the real coffee hits me. I got to go to the bathroom, like, yeah, that's why we drink coffee in the morning, because it's an essential part of the going. Like I said, cheaper because I have coffee is pretty expensive right now, and like mushroom case. He's like, yeah, there's like a little bag, like eight ounce bag of mushroom coffee. He's like, yeah, it was forty five dollars.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I said, what kind of idiot, what kind of first world white people crap are you pulling off here? On MLK Day of all things? Mushroom mushroom coffee. That's the whitest thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 13: I love John John, and I will say I've seen this man and he is ripped and so like, you know, there are a lot of people that were He's fourteen years old.
Speaker 2: He shouldn't be ripped.
Speaker 13: There are a lot of people that care about the minutia that haven't gotten those basic ingredients first, you know, eat whole foods, et cetera. John John's at a place that he can think about dabbling in the mushroom coffee, I think if he wants to. But it's it is about getting the basics right first, and that's what a lot of people just jump to the smallest things, even including the saturated fat debate.
Speaker 2: You know, the most important things.
Speaker 13: Think about your calories, think about where your ingredients are coming from, and far as far as your diet, and those are kind of the most important. Like you mentioned, get good movement, good strength, and exercise, sleep well, you know, hydrate. These are the important things. And once you start mastering that, then you can start diving into the minute ship. But our brains like to focus on the details before we get to the kind of big picture.
Speaker 7: First.
Speaker 2: Is it about you know, people hear this, okay, food permit stuff, But calories still matter.
Speaker 13: Calories still matter as far as everything you know, are they the whole picture? Well when it comes to weight loss kind of, but to pay attention to the calories, I still look at them on the back of every package I look at.
Speaker 2: But what I'm looking.
Speaker 13: At more these days is the ingredient and the ingredient list. To the point of the new guidelines, you know, eat real food, and so if I'm seeing words that I can't pronounce, I'm usually put in that package down.
Speaker 2: It's tough to avoid that though, isn't it. I mean, reality, it is. It is pretty hard.
Speaker 13: And that's the you know, that's that's one of the problems right now, is that oftentimes those whole foods, especially if you're going to try to pie a packaged ones will be more expensive. But you know, getting getting those real food stuff that you can cook at home if you have the time, and knowing exactly what's going into your food is one of the most important things you can do.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the new dietary guidelines are relative to the food pyramid. Protein is prioritizing this and go for the lean proteins. Obviously, if you can skin on or skin off the chicken, where are you at on that one? Where am I at? Personally? I keep that skin on?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I just love it, But you know, yeah, I do have to realize that if I'm doing that I probably can't have dessert that night as far as Calorican take goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like chicken thighs are the new chicken thyes. I think are awesome because it's a lot cheaper and you know, as we look at the cost to meat these days, and there's a they taste really really good. I've been doing I've been doing instead of chicken wings because they're small and they're very expensive. It's like I'll get thighs and do them buffalo style that way and they're just good.
Speaker 13: So I used to do that with chicken breast. I just kinda cute hot fry them and throw some hot sauce on them.
Speaker 2: It's great. Ready to rock and roll. Sanjay Shavacromadi Here, I'm Scotsloon Show on seven hundred WLW. He's a physician, gym owner. He's a health guy. We talk about all that stuff on Thursday mornings. Anyway, Where can people find you? What your handle?
Speaker 13: Dine Well doc or Doctor sun Jay Sinc. Those are my two Instagram right at Dinewell Dock.
Speaker 2: There you go. Appreciate it, brother, Thank you. We'll talk next week. Scott's Loan Show, seven hundred W welw do you.
Speaker 1: Want to be an American?
Speaker 2: Scott's phone returning out to seven hundred w welww. Ohio hemp band kicking in tomorrow and it's already in court. So a brewery CB shops at TCH drinkmakers, two of them here in Cincinnati as a matter of fact, and joined in the suits in fighting to survive, something voters overwhelmingly voted for, in my opinion, Back in twenty twenty three, State Senator Steve Hoffman sponsored that bill and its House bill or some sorry Senate Bill fifty six. And this thing has been I guess, taking apart and put back together so many times. I don't know if we resemble the initial one. But nonetheless, senator welcome.
Speaker 5: How are you doing well today? Doing well? That's Miami RedHawks won a great game.
Speaker 4: Light.
Speaker 2: Did you were at the game last night? Give me a breakdown?
Speaker 6: Oh, gone to a lot of these first four and that place was packed with red. The Miami fans were awesome and cheered them onto a victory. And I've never seen the team of hot shooting three points.
Speaker 2: Sixteen threes last night, and they got hot judged at the right time to pull ahead. It was an absolutely fantastic Gama. Couldn't be happier for Miami fans and the program. And also, let's face it, I'm very happy because I had Miami advancing in my bracket, so I won at least one of the two.
Speaker 7: Well maybe, yeah, you're a good right right?
Speaker 2: All right there, I just admitted to filling out an office bracket. Are the state lawmakers the legislature in Columbus? So are they going to take that away next? Because it seems like they got like going after stuff people enjoy, like I don't know, THHC and fused beverages.
Speaker 6: You know, you know, there's crazy. I've seen crazier things, but I've not heard that they're they're they're going to get rid of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because you know it's a it's a gateway betting is what it is, and then it gets out of control. And all right, so what is the latest You're hearing on the lawsuits here? So the Supreme Court could decide intervene here tomorrow. There's also a temporary straining order for one of these things as well. Can you can you take me through the legal pieces here and if a challenge, do you see the kind again? Your guest is probably as good as mine, maybe a little bit better. But do you see the courts intervening here?
Speaker 6: So, you know, so the petition people, you know, announced yesterday they were not going to get to the two hundred and fifty thousand, and so there's been a you know, earlier last week there was one filed that's the Supreme Court that basically said, you know, Supreme Court, make the governor not do that, make the General Assembly do something else, and so it's just to the Supreme Court. And then yesterday afternoon there was one filed in Franklin County based on you know, really two premises, one telling the you know, the force the governor not to undo his veto and the other one it's invoking the Interstate Commerce Clause, which basically says, we have a conflict. Yeah, so we have when getting rid of the hemp beverages in fifty six with his veto, we're now conflict. We're saying it's illegal in Ohio, but it's the federal government and says it's legal, right, right, So we're in conflict. But we won't be in conflict in November when it's illegal and in December.
Speaker 2: But the hope is that the federal government sees things like this and goes, you know what, people want this stuff. Let's back up, let's get a win here and quit hammering adults, grown adults who want to enjoy something they've been enjoying for quite some time. Because I think, Steven, we've talked about this back in twenty and twenty three, we approve recreational marijuana overwhelmingly in huge numbers. Senate Bill fifty six eliminated some protections there for users and more restrictions, and and I think it's another thing is like people said, well, we didn't vote for TC beverages, they weren't around that. I would disagree. I think, you know, if you want, if you want to consume cannabis in that fashion, I think you guys put some guardrails up. But the complete under ban of a legitimate product is insane to me. It feels and smells like to me, like the legislative body, the General Assembly, is overriding the will of people.
Speaker 5: Well, what's a correction.
Speaker 6: The House in the Senate voted and Senate Bill fifty six to allow these and did put guardrails around it that they had to be in a the liquor license, you had to only sell it to people over twenty one yep, in five milligrams. So that was what the General Assembly said, and the governor used to wine Item Vito to get rid of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So what I'm disappointed in, and you know we've talked many times before, when the federal government came in on the big beautiful bill and threw this in there, you know, to make these things illegal. Sometime in mid November of this year. I'm surprised, you know, four or five six months later. I thought the federal government would come back and say, you know, here's the guardrail in states. You decide on your own yep.
Speaker 5: But they haven't.
Speaker 6: I haven't heard really any chatter. And as you know, the federal government doesn't do anything for the last second to them, can you get your shut down? Maybe they don't even do it last.
Speaker 2: Year even then they just shut it down in punt. That's the problem. That's the problem, Senator Huffman. The referendum effort failed, and I think the other people who saw well it failed because they know no one wants this.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 2: I think they didn't get their two hundred and fifty thousand signatures because not because of public support, but because they only had a month to gather them. So does a failed signature drive, actually we don't hire and support this large. Does it mean they ran out of time? I think it's run out of time. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 6: I agree they actually had ninety days, and you know they lost time over the Christmas holiday. It's really hard in Ohio to get signatures and the debt of winter and you're not standing outside of department store.
Speaker 2: Below zero for like three straight weeks. So no one's standing out collecting signatory right.
Speaker 6: And you know, I sense things for going bad about you know, mid January, end of January when they announced that that they a lot of these things happened by paying people to do it, and they there was an announcement or maybe I heard it on the street that that they're no longer we're paying anybody.
Speaker 5: And so a lot of these.
Speaker 6: Bars and places that serve this stuff just took it upon themselves to have their patriots come in and in fineess and ties it that way and they which is a tough tough way to go, and particularly in rural Ohio, because you have to have so many from forty four counties. You just can't have them all from Hamilton and in Franklin, and those last four or five get really hard at the percent and how you have.
Speaker 7: To give them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's unfortunate, but them's the rules right center. Bill fifty six a provision in there, and you tell me if this is taken out of context, if it's accurate, is that it can cost someone of their employment, benefits, their parenting rights. They could you could get kicked off an organ transplant list based solely on cannabis use, legal cannabis use in the state. Do those provisions still exist? Do the THC beverage band? Does that impact that whatsoever? Your thoughts?
Speaker 6: So those things are are technically true, that those things are things? Can a judge can consider. I believe that you know, you lose custo your child if you you have your child every other weekend and you partake in beverages or or smoke marijuana and you're not you don't do it around your kid. You're not high when you pick the kid up. That's what the judge, it says, the judge is supposed to take into consideration. And on the on the organ transplant, you know, you know if you're getting the kidney is one thing, But if you smoke marijuana the bad effects on your lungs, do you get a lung transplant? It just kind of says that it can't be the sole reason, but judges and other people can make a decision based on it's effect.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess the test would be with THT beverages, vapes, tinctures and the other delivery systems for THHC. Yeah, you really shouldn't be high. You can't be high when you're on your kid. But how many people, how many parents, how many kids grew up listening to this thing, whether their parents would be in the backyard or the cookout or sell a bration and have a few beers, is it the same thing? And looking at that way, did they go, well, you know, this person was a picnic with their kid and was drinking in front of them. How's that any different than eating a gummy or hitting a vappen?
Speaker 5: No, I don't disagree with you.
Speaker 6: I think you know, if every weekend you're intoxicated from drinking, drinking beer or intoxicating with marijuana hemp is one thing, but you know, occasional beer and not being intoxicated there's another thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is a state Senator, Steve Huffman. He sponsored Senate Bill fifty six. And this thing has been chopped up like a stolen car time and time and time again. And the Ohio Hemp Band kicks in tomorrow. It is largely it's one of the fastest growing beverage segments in America as a matter of fact, and so many people are turned on to it because they like the way they feel after they're doing two or three or more of these THFC and fused beverage instead of alcohols THC. They feel that they recover better the next day, there's not the hangover effect. They don't feel like they do after alcohol. And so we're seeing the craft industry kind of fade and the THC infused beveragestry to pick up, and not just in Ohio, but elsewhere around the country where this isn't a problem. And I think that's the other thing here. It seems like other states can handle this, even despite what the federal government is going to do. Why is Ohio so different about this?
Speaker 6: I agree, you see it being responsibly done in other states. And the House in the Senate thought we could.
Speaker 2: They thought better. They but you know it doesn't help Republicans control of course the state House. And then you know the same bodies will say, well, look at Cincinnati, it's a disaster. That's why you need to have more reply. I think we have a divided governments better. But nonetheless I look at that and go, well, how is this anything less than a big brother nanny state where you can tell adults who clearly want this stuff that they can't have it because we see some loopholes in here that makes us say no, you can have it, and that it seems to me that's what you're up against there in Columbus.
Speaker 6: Dyve No, I agree, And you know, looking forward, you know where does this go? I mean we've there's been some discussion on overriding the veto. There's not a large a group of people in either body the center of the House. I don't think that is like gun ho about overriding the veto on this. And if we did, it would still take ninety days to take effect. So if it say we did it April first July, for you could have the beverages again. But are these people that are producing these are they going to be able to idle their plants or idol what they do for one hundred days and then they produced for four months, and then the federal band kicks in and then they're out of business again.
Speaker 5: That would be tough.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, there's thought about bringing a new build to have all those regulations and stuff. But until the first or second week of January and the governor de wine I think we put him on put it on his desk again, he would he would detow it again. So it's really not going to happen this year. And I don't you know whoever's going to be governor. I have not heard Amy acton or VI mention hemp, beveragers or marijuana in any real way, So who knows what if they wouldn't be towed or they'd be encouraging them.
Speaker 2: Are you concerned, Senator Huffman. The message this sends the business and that is, hey, you make a product, you come up with a better mouse trap, so to speak, and people enjoy it, they like it, they demand it, and then we just simply shut you down. Why would I invest money in the Buckeye State if that is the pattern.
Speaker 6: Well, I hope to think it's not a pattern. I think we've helped a lot of businesses, but no, I can certainly understand that hopefully they'll be able to you know, malt liquors or seltzers or whatever they were putting THHD in. You know that they can, you know, start running those lines with beer or some type of alcohol and make money, because you know, you look at what we did. We were limited to five milligrams, but the House and the Senate said you can brew it to up to twenty and sell that in Indiana and Kentucky or wherever else around the country you want, where it's legal, but have people here employed and sell it elsewhere and make money and bring that tax to the state of Ohio.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, and I know you're a physician by trade and not an attorney, because god knows, we don't have enough attorneys in the General Assembly. But nonetheless, you're hearing the Supreme Court is going to rule tomorrow on this thing. Because the band goes into effect the law's effective date that the ruling will most likely go against the hemp beverage industry, and if that's right, is essentially finished. I mean, it sounds like this is fatalistic. If you turn your taps off, you're not going to turn them back on. And if during this appeal, because you're waiting on that decision, it might go against you. And also you have, as you mentioned, the federal band in place. I think it feels to me like tht beverages are done in the state of Ohio.
Speaker 5: Well, you got the federal or the.
Speaker 6: Ohio Supreme Court, which I'm told is not a very good argument at all. But then you have this a request for a temporary straining order in Franklin County about the interstate commerce clause. And you've seen a lot on different abortion things and other things.
Speaker 5: Is they just flack the.
Speaker 6: Temporary restraining order out there and say, well, I don't know, but I'm going to figure it out. And sometimes it takes a few week and sometimes it takes a few months. So I think that is what the industry is kind of looking at to get this temporary you know, they go to the most liberal places and that's to.
Speaker 2: Try to find out that's how it is.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: So it's called the dormant commerce clause, and that's the argument they're going to use, is that Ohio can't give preference to a state product over a competing product. From another state. Is there any merit to that in your opinion?
Speaker 6: Like you said, I'm not the attorney, but the people I talk to say there is some merit, but it has never really been tested in this way from a fort or interpreted the way they want to.
Speaker 5: But you know, maybe they look at it differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just have a problem because THC and few Saria hemp in few THHT drinks were it was a growing revenue stream for craft rowis another band, and that's why they're fighting this in court. It's a survival issue for them. And I have a problem with Republicans touting that they're pro business when they do things like this and necessarily not necessarily you, but others because and including the governor for that matter. So what is your message to Ohioans then, Steve Hoffman who voted yes on two in twenty twenty three, people who use marijuana legally and responsibly and now find out, well, you could lose your job, your kids, an organ transplant, and I can't get something that I've enjoyed for the past couple of years. Anyway, what do you say to those voters? What do you say to those people who don't feel represented.
Speaker 6: Well, I overall think that fifty six will make the marijuana industry better, less regulation, hopefully bring down the price, do that stuff like that. We've talked about the taxes that are going to the local jurisdictions, so those are good things. But you know, I think people need to make sure that there are people that represent them at the state in the federal level about the need need for this, or that they want this, and hopefully the Feds and then the state will be able to change that to get to get it to happen again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we've we've kind of we screwed up. It's amazing to me. It seems like we take something that's like a golden money tree and we screwed up. The nil thing is all messed up with the unclaimed funds. Instead of you know, attacks on legal gaming, which gamers and the industry said, yeah, that's fine because it's not like New York or California or taking half of it. It'd be and we didn't want to do that. And now we have this issue going on going, hey, we got all this money coming in from marijuana. Now we don't want that never mind. And yet you know, the state is flushed with money, but local municipalities aren't. Cincinnati City Cincinnati faces a budget crisis right now, and that's that's money that could be coming in. I don't understand it. I don't get it. I don't know why. I don't know why we have people who are pearl clutters and something that's been proven to help the human condition. As a physician, I think you admit that there's just a lot of positives with cannabis, But again, it's a it's a grown adult putting something in their body they choose to, so there's a risk of intoxication and doing something that could get you into trouble, hurt, injured, or dead. But again, if you're an adult and you're doing this or not allong kids to do it, this is not a problem. This is a solution in search of one. State Senator Steve Hoffman, as always, thanks for coming on the show this morning. Have a wonderful weekend.
Speaker 5: You take care, Take care.
Speaker 2: It's a Scott's Loan show with news in seconds here on seven hundred WLW. The buying and selling of homes isn't for the timin or meek.
Speaker 9: The real estate world can be a vicious Jungle, playing with Dangers and Pitfall Boss. Thank God We've got Remax time agent Michelle Sloan, the.
Speaker 2: Fearless, Real Tour of Sloan, sellshomes.
Speaker 9: Dot Com, and the Queen of the Real Estate Jungle. It's Real Estate Time with Michelle Sloane on seven hundred deliul Geledy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before I get into we got issues in the Sloan Householders always here. That's why you tune in is to hear about the issues. And my wife and I go at each other because it's a sign of a healthy, healthy relations and shit. So I get home yesterday and I'm on the couch. I'm on my phone getting some answering, some emails and texts and stuff like that, and all of a sudden, I hear this noise and it sounds like a big woosh. I'm like, what the hell is going on? And the dog comes running in, but this tail between his legs. What the hell happened in the kitchen?
Speaker 7: I go in.
Speaker 2: It looked like a crime scene. There's there's like white residue all over the bottom of the cabinets, all over the floor, partly on his face. My wife, God bless her. In the morning, she gets her coffee, and what she likes to put in her coffee is an amalgam of products. I don't know what's in their flavorings. There's elixirs, there's I don't know. She does a seance over each cop and I'm not allowed to make her coffee because there's a specific sugar to fake sugar to product ratio that's going on here. It's a whole thing. And the witches brew if you will, And so she she One of the things she does is she will top it with whipped cream. So I buy the Costco aerosolized whipped cream for her, and she gives the habit is the doggle bag, and she gets it's the dog a little like that in the mouth, and the dog like, okay, good. So she puts it in the overfilled and I got to take the recycling out, but the recycling container and it goes in there. The lid doesn't shut on the recycling can in the kitchen, and the dog sees the can. And the dog's pretty smart when it comes to dogs. A stupid son of a bitch. But when when you put food around this dog, he could do your taxes. And so he gets somehow grabs just the can by the little tip tippy thing, just the tip, and pulls it, steps it on the floor upright and is chewing on the top with the sugar is of course, Now what happens is that little white thing, this flexible breaks and gets stuck in a position where the can turns into a whippet. So the thing spinning around on the floor. It's throwing whipped cream, residue and power whatever it is in there, all over the place, all over the dog. The dog flips out. He's now high because essentially he's got nitrous bumps because he's doing a whipp it. So the dog stoned out of his mind, and I got to clean the kitchen up. So it was a good day. It was a good day. The cabinets and base sports are clean. I took care of it. I took job, and my wife ordered me by bringing home girl scout cookies.
Speaker 8: I did. I you know, the little girl that was at the checkout or in the lobby or whatever, and I always say, I'll get you on the way out. I'm not going to buy the cookies before I go in. So then I was kind of hoping that maybe she wouldn't be there when I left Kroger, but she was still there. And I looked at her and said, okay, I promised you cookies. So I went and bought two boxes of cookies. And I tried a new flavor this year. I just called it, Hey, give me a box of lemon and she said she corrected me and said, it's lemonade.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're lemonade, Coki.
Speaker 5: Well is it?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, hon, is it in a glass?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Then it's lemon The eight is the liquid part. These are liquid. These are solids that would be lemon lemonade is the liquid forest. It's like gas and solids. Never mind.
Speaker 8: And I got the chocolate peanut butter right, the little chocolate I don't know what they're called, but the little chocolate peanut butter ones. Yes, there were thin mints there, Oh my god, but I didn't go for the thin bing is is like, what.
Speaker 2: Kind of and yeah, obviously sugar is a big thing and all, uh, what kind of animal doesn't bring the thin mints home?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 8: I wasn't.
Speaker 2: How did you do that? How are you not feeling thing? What is wrong with you? That's like, you know what? That's like getting a bag of guardettos in leaving. You know, I'm not gonna eat the rye part. That's the best part, right exactly. Everyone goes, oh, that's the best part. Yeah, I don't want that. I want to I want the knock off pretzels that are in there. No, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I didn't feel the thin mints. I didn't feel like I wanted to buy three or four.
Speaker 2: But you gotta have That's where the flavor is.
Speaker 8: Boxes.
Speaker 2: You got three, three different kinds of girl scouts because you got your lemonade, you get your peanut butter rounds, and then you got your thin mintes. But the flavors and the thin mints, that's where the that's where the flavor is.
Speaker 8: All right, the girls will be there. I'll go back and get you a box of things. See, here's what happened, and the reason why, the true reason why I did not buy thin mints. We buy thin min's and then we act like their gold. So we put them in the freezer and then they last year when we moved, I had a box of thin Mints in the freezer that had.
Speaker 2: Been there that you're so good.
Speaker 8: He wants to open them, so they save them for a special occasion. Well, that special occasion ever came and I had a box of thin Mints in the freezer. So I said, I'm not buying a box of thin Min's because we we wasted a whole box last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not good at the portion control with us. I mean, look at me. Yeah, I know it's it's really hair well and I'm inspired. Always go back to I had a guy I used to know I used to work with as an engineer, and uh, you know engineers, how they think it's like math and numbers and everything. And he would buy a certain number of boxes every of thin Min's every year. I forget how many. It's a ridiculous number of boxes of thin Mints. And he would have two thin Mints exactly every night with his after dinner, just for an entire year. And he spaced it out so that any factored vacation days, there, holidays, and came up to the exact number of boxes to buy, so that he would eat the last two Girl Scout cookies the day before the next round of Girl Scout Cookies would come out.
Speaker 14: Wow, what kind of discipline. And that's like Navy seal level discipline. That is incredible and it is something that we no idea. No no one listening does either, no one listening does. Let's talk about real estate stuff. We move on from sugar products.
Speaker 8: Okay, to the Federal Reserve. Yesterday they held the interst rates steady. The Federate is steady. That was expected. There was only one vote to say let's lower them, and that was a Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Person, pretty important person.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was very but it was eleven to one. They held the rate steady. Again, we expected that to happen. There's a lot going on in the world. We don't need to be messing with the interest rates at this point. What that did do, though, is it surged the mortgage interest rates up a little bit. We have been hovering right around six percent for a mortgage interest rate average thirty year fixed six percent. As of this morning, it's up to six and a quarter. It's likely to fluctuate this in all of twenty twenty six. We really don't expect big fluctuations one way or another, certainly not lower good. We expect to be right around that six percent six and a quarter. Maybe you go to like a five nine to eight or something like that. You can always buy down the rate, and as you know, you can always refinance. And if you get a higher rate today, if the rates do go down a year from now or six months from now, you can always refinance. So expect the mortgage interest rates in twenty twenty six at least for the second third quarter to be right around six percent.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, Well, so what does that mean for buyer sellers?
Speaker 8: You know, I think right now buyers, there's a lot of pent up demand. We are seeing the spring market, which honestly, March first started to go absolutely berserk. We started to see people. I think everybody has been just shut in because of the weather and it's been unbelievable and everybody's like, I need a new house. I want to sell my house, I need to move. Something needs to move. So there are a lot more buyers out there than there are sellers. Again, that creates a seller's market. And there are still some homes that have not sold from last fall. And I would say, if you're a buyer, don't be afraid to look at the homes that are still on the market, and because they are opportunities for great instant equity and there may not be anything wrong with them because over the winter we had very few showings on these homes and people just didn't go out. We were just frozen. We were frozen, all right.
Speaker 2: But if the rates are stable, it's at me.
Speaker 8: It's like a new normal. It's fine. It's not seven percent, which is not good. It's six percent, which is which is It's a good, happy medium.
Speaker 2: Right now, what's the outlook.
Speaker 8: The outlook is it's going to be again. It's going to be strong and steady. It's just going to be steady. It's not going to be gangbusters, there's not going to be a crash of any kind. It's just going to be kind of a nice even steady.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, steady steady. So what does that mean for the markets? And if you're looking for a house you want to sell.
Speaker 8: You need to do it. Go ahead, do it. What are you waiting for?
Speaker 2: What I'm waiting for is five percent?
Speaker 8: You're not going to wait?
Speaker 2: Well, I want four percent. I want That want was three percent. My back in the day, we had three per I want three percent.
Speaker 8: That is never in my lifetime and probably.
Speaker 2: Going to happen again.
Speaker 8: Ever going to happen again.
Speaker 2: So wait five years and that then'll be the fact of five.
Speaker 8: Well, no, I don't think so, I really don't, because it created it honestly created a situation that we're in today where people still are holding on to those three percent rates. They don't want to sell their house because they know they're going to have to go, they're going to have to double it. And so as far as the market is concerned, I think right now we're slow and steady. There's a lot of people out there looking their buyers are being very picky sellers. Just you still have sellers, I will have to say, you have to do your prep work. There was a time a year or so ago when things were flying off the market in minutes. That's not happening today. There may be in certain school districts and certain properties are going to go really really quickly, So you just have to be ready. So as far as the market is concerned, it's slow and steady. But at the same time, you got to be ready. If you're ready, you're ready.
Speaker 2: So what's the what do you see the demand this season? Because we are now officially in house buying house selling season, people want to get stuff done. Probably there's that rush right before school starts to get in a district. But even during the summer, it's pretty busy. So what do you see the summer.
Speaker 8: No, there's definitely demand right now. I mean again, we've been we've been really open for business since March first, and that's when the lock came off the real estate door and everybody is rushing in. So I expect it to be pretty busy, pretty busy. And that gets me to the next topic is making sure that if you are selling, your curb appeal has to be on point. You can't just have, you know, a ratty lawn and uh, you're going to have to take care of your take care of the outside of your home.
Speaker 2: So clean your bushes and shrubs up and tend to your trees. That is absolutely true.
Speaker 8: The spring prep is on right now, and the weather is going to be gorgeous this weekend. And the interesting thing there, I have five things you ready, I think it's a little later in my.
Speaker 2: Hey you got a couple, Hey got a couple of minutes, Go ahead, just run.
Speaker 8: The five mistakes that you can make for your lawn and landscape right.
Speaker 2: Number one is not to buy thin mint's. Number two is to teach dogs to like whipped cream.
Speaker 8: Okay, Waiting too long to start is the biggest mistake, because you know, if it is right now, we're going to be in the eighties on Sunday. Yay. Our weeds are already germinating. We're already seeing some of the weeds start to pop, right, and that's when you know it's happening. All of the weeds are coming up. And so this is the weekend. In the next probably ten days, you've got to get on top of that. Otherwise you're going to have weeds.
Speaker 2: All year, right, right, right, So get your creen, get your ground clear, get your grass kicked out, get get your round up, get a mask on, don't breed that stuff in and on fire away.
Speaker 8: It's what you're saying, That's what I'm saying. The number two mistake that you could make is the difference between do you know what the difference between a queen queen, a clean lawn and a weedy mess?
Speaker 2: Do you know the difference? Yeah, there's fewer weeds on a non weedy lawn.
Speaker 8: Yeah, crab grass prevention again, did I talk about that dumb question?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: What's the different?
Speaker 2: A lot it has lots of weeds and a lot that doesn't have weeds, I would say weeds.
Speaker 8: I think you did? You did you already mess that.
Speaker 2: Kind of Yeah, yeah, you put some of that stuff down. But again you may need a law company to come in or just yeah, if you have a How much does that add to curb appeal though? Does it really translate to more money?
Speaker 8: Oh? Absolutely yes, yeah, because when people see huge patches in your lawn and and things of that and it's it's all nasty, it does make a difference when they go in and they when you have the wow factor on your curb appeal, that makes a huge difference.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if there's bare patches, you know, you can throw some patch down and just got to lightly rake it or get the kind that's in the bag and you spray, just spray it all down. And me with you're messing with my I gotta get going. Oh, I said, you got two minutes, you talk one topic, you talk for ten. You're a gibber jabber. Do you know that my wife is a legendary gibber jabber. I like the gibber down here is a gibber jabber. Scott, do not cut the grass too short. It's too soon to do that. Okay, a lot of people got their lawnmowers out. I saw a couple of people cutting their grass. Oh not right now, not too short, not too soon, too short, too soon, got it Leave it high.
Speaker 8: First, fe mos, you got to keep it higher. And then don't over Malt drives me crazy, even like the street crews that come through and they like seven feet up the trunk of the tree. Wrong, bad, bad, don't do it.
Speaker 7: Don't do that. Don't do it.
Speaker 2: Also, get rid of like you keep piling an old bunch on new much new, mult on old, and it's you've got this mountain. You gotta get to get rid of something old put on the lawn. I'll break down, I'll be good, right, that's all right, Love, you gotta go, gotta go, man, oh man, Well go to go to the store. Buy some whip cream.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna get some finance for you.
Speaker 2: Just the pack one one pack, one sleeve of Thinness is all I asked. All right, Love, you gotta go. Willy's on the way in just minutes here and uh oh, I forgot to plug her little er. You just got the podcast at the iHeartRadio app and or her YouTube show too as well. At Lonesel's Holmes dot com. My wife Michelle slone, there you go. Okay, got the plug in. The most important thing is are the ads get the plugs in? Take care of the sponsors. That the seg man would say, full news, and my wife did give it away. We got a great weekend weatherwise coming. It looks like fantastic for sure. So all that and more in just minutes, has said Willie coming up on the Home of the Red seven hundred w wt.
Speaker 7: Since now