Speaker 1: Hey, good morning, Welcome to the Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati, home of the best Bengals coverage and of course the Cincinnati Reds, and we got basketball. We've got everything and our sports Gerbils will take that up with Gary Jeff after the news at the bottom of the hour. In the meantime, I circle back with this fella at least once a year. He'd probably like to talk to me more than that, but you know, we'll save that for down the road. Scott lace Aff, the sporting chef. How in the world are you, sir?
Speaker 2: Getting older? Barely keeping up? But we've been busy making TV shows?
Speaker 1: Well, god man, the lineup is just incredible. Why don't you give us a little overview there and then we have some specifics to talk about. What you said are right up my alley.
Speaker 2: Well, we've got the Dead Meat Show and let's make an announcement. Next season will be the last season we shoot Dead Meat. It will air February twenty seven. You heard it here first. And then you know Joe Wilson. I do know.
Speaker 1: Joe the World Squirrel Cookoff.
Speaker 2: We're working on a show that he hosts called Meet Joe Wilson. We did a a whole moose for a tissery with him on the Key nine this last summer. He does something different all the time. He would be kind of the fun show to replace dead meat. And then we have Ranch America that's about cattle ranching, the Fishmonker about commercial fishing. And then Jason the Butcher is a guy who trains special ops how to survive.
Speaker 1: In a while, I thought you were going to back off and maybe just kind of take it easy and just kind of like, you know, just just roll right into retirement.
Speaker 2: Well, I kind of am. I've told my partner. I said, look, I'm the big picture guy now, so I'm gonna I'm gonna host the last dead meat shows and then I'll help produce them. But I'm road hard and put away, put at least wet.
Speaker 1: At least wet, not dry. Huh Yeah, Well then the big congratulations is in order. Joe Wilson, God, you talked to him, I know was for as long as I have. I think that's great because he is an absolute character.
Speaker 2: Well, and he does different stuff. You know, the dead meat show has never been who can shoot the biggest cats, the baddest fish, whatever. We don't do that. We like to connect with people and tell good stories. And nobody better than Joe. You know, have you seen what they do in the Kenari. He and his group dress up as a different theme every year and go out halibut fishing within the nail Chick. And so this year they were all Elvis. So there was there was all Elvis and one Waldough and this is you know, it's it's every stage of Elvis when you look at these guys. Yeah, they were they've done Brave Heart. They dressed up as doctors during the pandemic so they wouldn't have any problem on the airplane. And he's he's going to be spearing sturgeon with me in Michigan in uh February. So you know, we got and we still had plenty of dead meat left to do. We just got done. One of the birds that I've been my white whale, has been at Chachalaca for the last eight years. So I know what you're thinking, what what they help is chauch a lot.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have thought that at all.
Speaker 2: Now there's there's four counties in Texas in the US where you can shoot these things. They call them Mexican tree pheasants, and I've been trying to shoot him there. You don't you rarely see him flying. They're running on the ground there, about the size of a large road runner. So ut, my son, who is an Austin. I have a new shotgun. On my last attempt to go shoot Chatilakas, I'll let the cat out of the bag. His first two shots he killed two chats Alakas. I'm still over.
Speaker 1: Well, thank god it was him, right, we.
Speaker 2: Kept it in the family. Right. If it's not going to be you, if that's your son, that's even better.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and yeah, I am so delighted that you've found another endless supply of subject matter. You know, when you thought it was gonna be over with you stumble on Joe Wilson. Well you didn't stumble on him, but you know he is an absolute character. So I think that's gonna be fantastic. What would in the name of that show.
Speaker 2: Will be what meet Joe Wilson?
Speaker 1: That's original? Well, I'll look for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll keep working on the title.
Speaker 1: There you go, all right, you said Ted Scott, last laysaf We're going to hit a break and the big Outdoors with the Sporting Chef seven hundred WLW Cincinnati back in a moment. Hey, we're back the Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati, Chip Haark, and my guest is Scott Laysath. He is the Sporting chef, and he has been a frequent guest at least once a year on The Big Outdoors, going back at least twenty five years. And we've actually never met, but you know, we seem like we're kindred brothers. I don't think there's any other way to explain it. So what have you been doing the last couple of months? For instance, just.
Speaker 2: Got back from a twenty four day marathon. Now I know you've got your you got your deer season is about to open or open?
Speaker 1: Yes, our well, our both season has been opened since September, but our gun season opens Monday here in Ohio. Kentucky closed their gun season, so you know, I'll have my harvest reports and all that, but uh, I'm not counted as least having an animal in that pack.
Speaker 2: Well. I was in Indiana a couple of weeks ago for their opener, a couple of weeknds ago, and they have just gigantic deer deer there around Michigan City if you're familiar with that area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, up in the north.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a trapper that we hang out with, Cal Dittmar, and he always does something different. One year he made skunk. We've had coyote burgers, which I know you're probably crave. This year we went a little different. This year. We had deer nuts.
Speaker 1: Okay, and from a young buck.
Speaker 2: He just roast roasted them, a little seasoning on there and they were good.
Speaker 1: I'm okay, so it's hair off right, Okay, Okay, So they're all right and they're just seasoned bald and they're there maybe.
Speaker 2: But they started out about the size of the louds digit on my thumb and then they got a little smaller of it. So we also did.
Speaker 1: They dry out a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the bigger nuts. We did deer nut poppers with a little you know, hallopen or cream cheese bake in the standard deal. Then we did beaver tail stew, roasted beaver and beaver tacos.
Speaker 1: Well, roasted beaver is great. Was that so was done in an oven versus like a crock pot.
Speaker 2: It was done in a h These are guys that have a barbecue competition deal. So yeah, the whole beaver. They cooked it like a like a pig shoulder, and and it was fine. I mean I like beaver. It's beefy, yeah, as opposed to gamey and stringy and dark and funky. No, the bea BEA's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean weather a vegetarian, right, So I mean, how how you know better than a meating, meat eating beaver, of course you know? So so what what what's the okay? Tell me what deer balls taste like?
Speaker 2: The little ones that were just roasted. They're kind of like smoky, kind of kind of a smoky coin nut. They go, although not quite as crunchy, better than the ceiling testines that I had in Alaska in August.
Speaker 1: Oh that sounds like crap. That just does not sound good. I might use the intestine casing for sausage or something, but no.
Speaker 2: Uhh well these are these are ceial intestines. So they're like, you know, maybe the diameter of a rope. And the problem is they didn't they can't put a hose in them and hose them like you were. Yeah, so so these what they did? These clinkers guys that went and shot the seal, they break the intestine. So it looked really good. And I just had it on a stick over an open fly fire and it tasted like a pork rind, the bacon pork grime, smoky over the fire. But you know, ate about maybe four inches of the intestines and that was that's all you can handle? Yeah, what was it?
Speaker 1: Back on the deer balls, what's the texture?
Speaker 2: Uh? The just the ones that were by themselves were crunchy. The big ones that were put into the poppers were a little softer. In this trapper that I'm with said he's going to take the young ones and do some kind of scallop like prep prep preparation with him, like.
Speaker 1: A scalop potato and like a creamy sauce like.
Speaker 2: A scallop, like a like a sea scallop.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, not like scaloped potatoes.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, no, no, no, okay. But you know, I'm telling you they're not bad. If you've had if you've ever had calf fries or you know, rocky mountain oysters, these are better.
Speaker 1: I did. Nobody told me what they were until after I was done.
Speaker 2: But you know that's usually bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can I think I can handle that.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Listen, Scott Lays at the sporting chef. Uh, you hang in there for a few more minutes, because we're going to come back and have a little more fun. Of course, Chip Hard Scott Lace at the Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati back in the moment coverage and of course, happy Thanksgiving to everybody. I'm sure that you're just packing stuffed and all that. And now we just hang out and look forward to all the Christmas fixings of course. And by the way, Scott, does anybody do a Christmas goose anymore?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's a bad it's a bad idea if you remember, especially with a wild goose. Yeah, you know, it looks really pretty. I went, I was at a wild game fee that I was invited to and these guys bring in this beautiful Canada goose all roasted, and they said, what hell are you going to do with that? Because if the breasts are medium rare like they should be, the legs are not edible. Okay, so cook those legs. Same thing with ducks. Cut the legs off during the season when you get a pile of them, braize them, brown them, cook them for about anywhere from two to three hours, a little bit longer for those goose legs, they will eventually almost fall off the bone. That's when you want to when the breasts are just about done, throw those legs on the grill and they you can eat them as opposed to fight them.
Speaker 1: Do you leave the webbed feet on only for only for looks?
Speaker 2: It's just garnish, It's for present days.
Speaker 1: There you go, just just for garnish. Right, So this is still happen. So people still do that out there because you really, I mean, I don't think anybody thinks about it. And what's the difference between the giant Canada goose and the other geese that we have? Is there a difference?
Speaker 2: You know, my least favorite goose is probably the Canada goose we have. I'm in God, should I say it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 2: I live in californ I live in California.
Speaker 1: You're in the good part.
Speaker 2: I am in the good part. Yeah. But as I travel the West, I tell them I'm from Virginia, which is where I was born. It's just a lot easier. So we have a lot of speckled belly geese here. Respects there no, we do not, No, no, you know, they eat so much different. I would rather have a snow goose than a Canada goose personal presence. And a lot of people talk smack about snow geese, but I serve them snow geese all the time. I just don't tell them it's a snow goose and they go, wow, that's really good.
Speaker 1: That's just awesome. Yeah, because they're just like, uh, you know, animal lobbs, and they don't think you should eat them. Is that the reason?
Speaker 2: Well, because snow geese have a reputation here kind of like spoonys have the same reputation here as being inedible, and a lot of duck clubs here. If you shoot a spy spoony, you got to put five bucks in the kitty. Yeah, but I served people spoonies all the time too, and they go, hey, these are good, well, good good.
Speaker 1: All right. Now, the big questions are how can people find more about you? Are recipes available to people for benison and everything else? Wild game? Is that all available through the sporting chef? I know you have some books on the market. They've they've been you know, it's been a while, and you're not going to author anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're going to have to go to the bookstore or maybe the yard sale to find the cookbooks. Sporting chef dot com tons of recipes. If you're a waterfowl person, go to the Ducks Unlimited website. I wrote to them for fourteen years. Winchester has a bunch of my stuff. Sporting Chef's the best place to start. If you want to know about the shows, go to Outdoor Channel and it's Dead Meat the Fishmonger, Ranch America and Jason the Butcher and look for meet Joe Wilson in twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Well that's awesome. Now, Ranch America. We talked about that last year and I think it just got fired up. So where are we with that? I mean, that sounds like just an excellent program.
Speaker 2: We're shooting the fourth season now and so the next season was it just got done hearing the third season. Next one will be on in September with Jason the Butcher. Dead Meat starts up again at the end of January, first of February, so there's a bunch out there. Well that's that.
Speaker 1: That's hey. By the way, somebody was talking about potentially eating raccoon. It was the other morning on our morning show when it wasn't Tom Brannman, what's his name for crying out loud? Steve Hawkins okay, was talking about it the other morning on the morning show. What what does raccoon taste like? Ever had it? You know? And nobody raccoon traps raccoons or any anymore. And nobody really you know, hunts them with dogs. There's a few people out there, but it's not what it used to be.
Speaker 2: It's better than possum. How's that? And neither one of them are in my top hundred I don't think so. The raccoon is dark, stringy. People that say, man, I love raccoon, I'm thinking, have you not eaten chicken? Yeah, because it's just not it's it's okay if you have to eat it, you can make a stew out of it. Yeah, much much like the possum. Neither one of them really.
Speaker 1: I mean, okay, is possum white meat white ish?
Speaker 2: Okay? More, it's kind of it's kind of all gray ish. And they're not good, you know, they're they're good to animals. Leave them out there. I don't want to stew the possum anyway.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, and it's a MARSUPI also carry its kids around in the bag, you know, underneath, so you got to be careful with that. Scott the sporting Chef, it's a pleasure to have had you this holiday season. And bye gosh, you know, keep sending me your emails too, trying to sell me stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll do that.
Speaker 1: All right, buddy, you take care, thank you. All right, with that, we're going to hit a break the big outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati. We will be back in a moment. News Radio seven hundred WLW. This news Radio seven hundred wl Cincinnati got a lot of facts and figures here for you. First off, Ohio's youth deer gun season. The kids took ninety seven hundred and fifty nine white tail over that two day period. And let's see where are we at with Kentucky. Uh, hold on, lady, oh Kentucky's harvest to date as of earlier this week is one hundred and forty nine thousand, eight hundred and sixty eight white tailed deer Ohio. And this, of course is preceding our gun season, which will open Monday, is at eighty two thousand and five hundred and thirty seven and Indiana and I think their gun season has been completed. They're at seventy eight thousand, eight hundred and eighty eight animals to date, so the numbers are up there, and you know, EHD has hit. A few of the states haven't determined if it's been an impact or not. But last but not least, been reports of dead black vultures around East Fork Lake and a couple of other in southern Ohio Caesars Creek and Division of Wildlife is looking into it. But it appears to be the avian flu. So that's what's happening. We will not miss him because they're kind of considered invasive in this necklar woods out of the south on a migration. It's expanding. With that, I guess I have a great gun week next week people here in Ohio. With that Chip Hart the Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati, be safe in the woods, safe in the water, and safe in that tree stead