Speaker 1: An exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking.
Speaker 2: Well, the Dodgers have a lot of talented players in Big League camp this year, and Zach Erhart is one of them. I always try to fight myself from calling you a lot of different last name, Zach, but congratulations on being here.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate it. Yeah, but Erhart can be a little tricky. Some people just spell it quite a bit. I know it's different, but.
Speaker 3: It is what it is.
Speaker 2: You've You've and James Tibbs have been attached since you got here to Big League camp and obviously in the same trade to the Dodgers. What's it like to be traded number one but also have a guy that you were with in Boston and come with you to LA getting traded It.
Speaker 1: Was an emotional process, just because I don't know if everybody knows the whole story.
Speaker 3: I was actually with my brother.
Speaker 1: In Portland with the Red Sox and me and him got to play together, which was awesome, But trade happened, so that was tough. But it's really nice having somebody to go through it with you that you can kind of lean on and meet and him have definitely supported each other through the whole process, and it's really cool me and have gotten really close and been able to enjoy this whole process together.
Speaker 2: What's it been like to be introduced to a new organization and they.
Speaker 3: Allow you guys to be yourselves.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Dodgers are definitely big on it, just embracing your strengths and who you are. And I really appreciate that, just because I'm known to be kind of just a gritty ball player, and like I just I'm not the most talented, or I wouldn't say I'm not talented, but not always the fastest, it got the most pop, But like I'm known to play the game.
Speaker 3: Hard, and that's what they love about me, which I really appreciate.
Speaker 2: The first Spring game this year, you certainly did what you just described. You beat out an infield hit and there was a ball in the dirt that you were able to take an extra base on. Is that what your identity is as a player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would definitely say it is.
Speaker 1: It's just always been kind of my nature just to play play the game hard and play the game right, and that's kind of what I've grown up on and that's how I've always treated it.
Speaker 3: That's how I've always played. What did the Dodgers tell you?
Speaker 2: What did the Dodgers love about Zach Earhart to make them say we want this guy to be part of the organization.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not really sure you play.
Speaker 1: Might have to ask some guys higher up, but I'm hoping it's just because, like kind of what we talked about, they see the kind of player I am and how I approach the game, and I guess I just really appreciate it, and to.
Speaker 2: Get the opportunity in big league camp obviously is a big validation.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, it really shows that they really value me and who I am and they want me around these guys, which means a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. Zach Gerhard is our guest before first pitch. Now, I read a story that world champion Dodger Kevin Kiermeier and you worked out together during the offseason. How did that connection come together?
Speaker 3: Yes, that was awesome.
Speaker 1: The agent that represents me actually represented Kevin during his career and so he got on linked us together and kier Maier he's awesome, just an awesome guy. He's always looking to help other guys, other players become the best versions of themself, especially I mean, considering the amazing outfielder he was, it's kind of a great guy to learn from, and he is all about just sharing that knowledge and information and it was really eye opening and it was an awesome experience.
Speaker 2: What's some of the things that he taught you that you take with you to the field every day.
Speaker 1: Just his big thing is to treat practice like the game, to always go game speed, not to just lollygag through the drills. To treat it all like game speed. Work through it so your body knows what to do when it is time to go game speed. Because if you're kind of treating practice, taking it nice and easy and slow too much.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a time and place for that.
Speaker 1: But if you're doing that all the time, then when it comes game time, your body has to speed up.
Speaker 3: It doesn't really know what to do.
Speaker 1: So he's always taught me that stuff, and he addressed like a lot of little things that have helped me along the way.
Speaker 2: Tough to look at Kermeer. Those eyes they'll suck you in, no kidding, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Those eyes are something.
Speaker 1: He's as good looking guy and he's so it wasn't hard to pay attention Zach.
Speaker 2: Great to introduce you to Dodger fans. The way you play certainly has left an impression on all of us, and we look forward to seeing you at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: Thank you, I really appreciate it.