Speaker 1: This is Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network. Pay Corps. Pay Corp is proud to be the official HR software provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health best Care for the best Fans. Kettering Health official healthcare provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 2: Get it going on this Monday night. If it's Monday, it must be Bengals Line. Three hours of conversation, Kevin your way. We're gonna break down what transpired yesterday and we'll set you up for the bye week for the Bengals. We do it on two stations tonight, seven hundred WLW and ESPN fifteen thirty. Bottom of the r will break away on seven hundred. For UC basketball, let's get to it. David was a well, let's see in what order. It was a wildly entertaining game that had it all, that put us on an emotional roller coaster that was ultimately frustrating and disappointing. And I'll defer to Zach who said, simply, I can't believe it, because I think a lot of people at that moment we've been waking up this morning, we're saying I can't believe it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm one of those guys. I'm waking up raising my hand, can't believe it. I mean, you talk about a lot of things happening during the course of a football game, you know, some very very good and some very very ugly. That was a roller coaster, that was a wild ride yesterday. Man, the Chicago Bears, you have the two quarterbacks played so well. I mean they both had a quarterback rating of over one hundred, one hundred point four. For Joe Flacco, he completed almost seventy five percent of his passes, almost three out of four, four hundred and seventy yards, four touchdowns, and then two costly interceptions. Williams was even better. I mean two hundred and ninety yards, three touchdowns, no interception, quarterback rating of over one fourteen. That's what the Chicago Bears felt like they had drafted as the first pick in the draft. That's what he showed he could do at USC when he won a Heisman Trophy. So their quarterback ended up winning the football game with his performance and Unflacco, and unfortunately, Joe Flacco's performance came up just a little bit short, and as a result, it was a losing performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So many times it was referenced by players after the game the word finish. Yeah, boy, I think many if you allowed yourself. At forty nine seconds, the touchdown hits it and I'm immediately thinking, holy cow, they have found a way to somehow win this game. They're gonna go onto the by with this momentum. You're gonna have Pittsburgh coming out of the buy and everybody's gonna be feeling good. And then four play seventy two yards and thirty seven seconds and it was just a punch to the.
Speaker 3: Gut big time. Seventy two yards and thirty seven seconds. Man, I mean, that's that's hard to comprehend. That's hard to do at any level of football. And the fact that it happens to the Cincinnati Bengals defense, I mean, Al Golden has to be tearing his hair out by the roots, there's no question about that. And everybody has to be on the defensive side of the football. Offensively, let's face it, you know, you put up the yards they put up, you know, over over five hundred yards offense and over round forty points high thirties. You expect to win that football game. I mean there's no question that you think, yeah, this is going our way today. Not quite.
Speaker 2: Let's get reaction to what transpired. Immediate reaction after the game. Here is David with the coach Zach Taylor.
Speaker 3: Tear with Bengals head coach Zach Taylor and coach appreciate you joining us like you always do. It's it's not easy after your your team goes out and gives everything they've got, poor is their heart and soul into a football game like you guys do as well, you and your coaches stop putting together the game plan and just fall a little bit short, high scoring affair.
Speaker 4: Did you expect that.
Speaker 5: Expected to win. We're trying to find a way to win. Everything we put into this week, expected to walk off this field today with a win, and it's just that's the way it fell today for us, and it's unfortunate. We just in a lot of ways made the plays we needed to make and then in other ways other phases, we just we have to find a way. Someone has to step up, someone's got to get their hand on the ball, someone's got to get a turnover. And it just hasn't gone our way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you mentioned some things that you know, I was thinking about. Defensively, if you can get a key turnover at a most opportune time, stop a drive or knock the ball down, pass deflection, whatever the case may be, it just seems like the defense is just one step short. On many occasions it's been.
Speaker 5: Close, you know. And and again we've can't give up the points. We've given up the zero turnovers. You know, that's a big deal. With Chicago's and their wins. They've been plus four, plus three, plus three, they've always won the turnover battle, and today they finished plus three. You know, they got three from us, none none the other way. So we got to find a way to get that fixed.
Speaker 4: Someone.
Speaker 5: Someone's got to get it done. Someone, the player's got to step up somewhere and make a play. Were working night and day trying to try to figure out an answer to give these guys and help them, and we're going to continue that.
Speaker 3: During the by week, they had sixteen takeaways coming in, so that makes it nineteen. After this football game, there were plus eight coming in a turnover ratio that makes them plus eleven.
Speaker 4: Those numbers are staggering.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one of them is a hellmer at the end of the game. I don't put much stock into that, but you know, it's tough, it's it's that's that's a challenging part of the game. We got to figure out a way to get some turnovers off people.
Speaker 3: How about physically, do you feel like your football team came out of the out of the game fairly healthy, nothing more than just the typical knicks, pumps and bruises.
Speaker 5: Well, see, I think somaj Pirran, I know, we got a high ankle spring, you know, on a hip drop tackle, so that was unfortunate. But other than that, these guys are I mean, emotionally, they left it all on the field.
Speaker 6: I mean, they gave everything. It's it's.
Speaker 5: I feel for him because they're they're fighting for a win, They're trying to give everything they can to win, and and we just these last two weeks in particular, falling short. And I'm sick for these coaches, these players that that put in this work and to have these heartbreaking results.
Speaker 6: We just we got to find a way to find a win.
Speaker 3: Here. You're right, that was a hip drop tackle on someow's your p Ryan playing and simple, I mean What the hell is the guy looking at? Why can't he throw his fight?
Speaker 5: I don't think they are destructed to call it. I think is probably where they're at and they just find you afterwards. But that's just my opinion.
Speaker 3: How do you keep them focused? How do you keep them, you know, in in gear, in stride to take on the Pittsburgh Steels after the buy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's that's leadership, you know. It's it is easy when we've won ten games in a row and been to a championship game and things are going good. That the hard part of leadership is when you're facing some real diversity.
Speaker 6: And so.
Speaker 5: I'm going to embrace that, and I'm gonna find guys in the locker room that embrace that as well and don't want to hang their heads, don't want to point fingers. Negativity can creep in if you let it from from people that tend to do that, and so we're not gonna let that happen. We're just gonna keep fighting. I know, I got a locker room guys that well and fight. I just watched it on the field. It's it's I just watched it. I watched those guys fight on every single snap, and we're gonna continue.
Speaker 3: To get that. And finally, finally, you do have a bunch of guys in the locker room that are leaders. You know that they aren't gonna quit, they aren't gonna spit the bit. They're gonna give you every ounce after they've got every single snap a very single football game.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And you've been a big part of getting those guys in the locker room. How do you feel about the rest of the season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got a lot left to play for and there's there's eight games left. We got to find a way to just get that first win and build off that, and there's still opportunity right in front of us. I expects us to take advantage of it. I expects us to come back to work ready to find a way to do that. And that's that's all we can do right now.
Speaker 3: Appreciate your coach as always, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Appreciate Zach Taylor after the game, and now, Dave, with eight games left. There's still eight game and he's saying that out loud. There's a lot of games left. But in addition to the x's and o's challenge, there's got to be somewhat of a challenge for Zach to keep everybody on the same page and headed in the right direction and not scattering at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it scattering is a good word for it. And then you know, you get into the danger zone of finger pointing, you know. I mean the offense here recently with Joe Flacco at the helm and it's incredible what a quarterback over forty years old is doing what he's doing for his offensive football team. He has ignited them, I mean, he's been a spark, he's lifted them. And the fact that they're playing well, I mean they're inconsistent. I think that's probably the biggest way to sum up the entire football team. Inconsistency. Sometimes play very very well, you know for a quarter ye or for a half, or for a series or a multiple series, and then just goes away. Falls apart. Same thing defensively, although much less, they haven't played as is consistently well. Uh, they've had more poor performances on a series by series basis, on a quarter by quarter basis than the than the the offense has had. But man, I think inconsistency all the way around offense, defense, and even Darren Simmons special teams I mean they'll they'll make plays and then uh, they'll spit the bit. You know, they'll they'll give up a big play, they'll give up a return that is costly and and uh flips field position and is a big factor in the outcome of the football game. So they got to get it turned around. They gotta get it turned around quickly because they're just about at the halfway point of the season right now, and you know they're running out of time. Is the way, the best way to say.
Speaker 2: And to your point, something good will start to happen, and then it's one play, one mistake, whether it's a Dimitri's night junior illegal contact wipes out a sack, or it's Yoshi who steps out of the back of the end zone and the next plays the interception, Orlando Brown first in goal, the personal foul, the the off sides on the field. Just their their margin of air is so small. Any mistake becomes magnified and it just becomes really difficult to overcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt, I mean, their margin fair is zero. You know, it's it's like they they they have to play the perfect game, and then there's pressure that comes along with that, and then the self inflicted pressure that comes along with that. You don't want to be the guy. You don't want to be the guy that cost your football team a game. You don't want to be the guy that that that cost your football team. You know, a series that was going oh so well. You know, seven players in the series were great, and then the eighth play you screwed up and and then the whole thing falls apart. Yeah, it's a it can be a it can be a cruel game when you're when you're struggling, like the Cincinnati Bengals are struggling. I mean, you can go home and be looking at the ceiling not and not not being able to sleep at night or close your eyes and you're still looking at the ceiling, you know, not being able to sleep at night. So I'm sure there that's the thing. There are a lot of guys in that locker room. And we'll go in the locker room after the game and there are a guy a care you know there. It's it's like a it's like a awakened there. You know. It's man, You're like you're walking into somebody that just passed and you're you're paying the respects to that person.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 3: It's a It can make a lot of money doing this, and there's no doubt. I mean, it's a great way to make a living, but it can it can it can break your heart for sure.
Speaker 2: When we continue, we'll talk about the day turned in by the forty year old Joe Flacco, an unbelievable day, and based on the circumstances of the week, even more unbelievable. Will do that as we continue on with Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network seven hundred WLW and ESPN fifteen thirty. If they're back on Bengals Line of this Monday night of the Bengals Radio Networks seven hundred wl W into ESPN fifteen thirty. Again a reminder coming up a bottom there. We'll break away on seven hundred for UC basketball. Continue on on ESPN fifteen thirty. Joe Flacco yesterday thirty one of forty seven, four hundred and seventy yards, four touchdowns, quarterback one nine point four. Here's QB one after the game where I'm.
Speaker 4: Normally not even thinking about it. You just flick it.
Speaker 7: And there was something about those throws that I actually struggled with the most today.
Speaker 6: But there's on you line up for a game like did you ever been a part of a game like that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, when you've been.
Speaker 7: I mean, we beat Cleveland a couple of years ago when I was with the Jets in a similar situation, Nick Chubb Bran ran in for a touchdown to go up by two scores.
Speaker 4: They missed the extra point.
Speaker 7: We went down and scored with under two minutes left, got the on side kick, went down and scored again. Now when we scored, there was probably a little bit less time on the closs. They still they still did have a chance. They might have completed a ball to midfield or something like that, but they didn't have quite quite as much time.
Speaker 4: They probably didn't have any time malths.
Speaker 7: We ended up winning the game, so very very similar. Well, it's tough, you know, I mean, but you know, anytime you're on the losing end.
Speaker 4: It's tough.
Speaker 7: I think when you've when you've played a lot of games, it's not the you lose doesn't make it any worse necessarily, you know. I think you learn that these these games come down to the last minute, and you gotta be ready for anything, and you know, a win to win a loss is loss.
Speaker 3: Did you start feeling that hope in that game late.
Speaker 7: In obviously when I think when you go down and then you think what you have is a touchdown and no, it's incomplete, and then you throw an interception, and obviously at the time you thought they scored a touchdown, that was probably that that at that point you probably weren't thinking too much about it. But then when we went down and scored for that. You know, when you when you go down and you score and you make it a one score game, I mean, anything can happen on TI kicks. Not very likely, but who knows.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: I think we were down by fourteen and we were going out there and I said, hey, listen, crazier things have happened, like to somebody a coach, and I was standing right there.
Speaker 4: You know, I think it was a tight ends coach, and.
Speaker 7: But I think I think, you know, after maybe there's a little bit of hope after you score that first one, but you're probably at that point. I mean, I think fans are going through the same thing like as as players are at that point. So whatever whatever you were feeling and the fans are feeling, we're probably feeling the same thing.
Speaker 3: You know, you surprised when you saw the number.
Speaker 7: You know, I knew we had been climbing up there at some point because we got so many possessions and we were really throwing the ball you know, a lot.
Speaker 4: Of the time towards the end of the game, just the nature of the game. You don't know how high it is.
Speaker 7: I mean, I've never thrown for four hundred in the NFL in my career, so it's the first time.
Speaker 8: The way that the last three games, how do you keep the frustration.
Speaker 4: Yeah, from seeping among.
Speaker 8: The offensive players and the way the games are gone, So.
Speaker 4: What will we play nine games?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 4: We have eight left.
Speaker 7: If you don't keep your head down and and and and go to work, then it's going to be a long, miserable season for you.
Speaker 4: You can't get distracted, uh, and you can't.
Speaker 7: You're going to be emotional after a game, but at some point you got to let that go. This is our profession, you know, we do this for at a living, and we take pride in doing it. And I hope that you would continue to take pride in doing what you do for a living, no matter what the outcome is. And yeah, I mean maybe that's easier said than done, but that's what you got to do because you know this leg.
Speaker 4: Will eat you up and it will not be it will not be good. I'm sure.
Speaker 7: I'm sure Baltimore isn't sitting there, you know, tucking their tail between their legs. With the record they have, They're probably motivated and excited about the opportunity, opportunity that they have going forward.
Speaker 4: I don't think we can look at it any different.
Speaker 2: And Dave, all things considered, forty years old, shoulder joint sprain, limited practice, just an absolutely heroic, gutty performance yesterday from Joe.
Speaker 3: I think that's a great way to put it. Gotty. I mean, it was courageous. He he laid it all out there for his football team. There's no doubt about it. And I think in talking with some of the guys in the locker room after the game, they realized that they realized the sacrifice that Joe Flackell made. They realized that he was playing in pain and that he wanted to go out there and win this football game desperately for the sake of his football team, for the sake of his teammates, The coaching staff, the head coach Zach Taylor, the coordinators Dan Pitcher. I mean they put a lot into this football game. This was, you know, a targeted game. This is almost they treated it almost like preparation wise, almost like for a playoff game. I mean they were going to leave no stone unturned in terms of putting into the game plan what they felt they needed to do to beat the Chicago Bears, and they came up short.
Speaker 2: Let's hit our bottom of a r time out well transition. You see basketball coming up on seven hundred WLW. We continue on on ESPN fifteen thirty. We'll get to the defensive side of that. You'll hear from Dax Hill and so much more as we roll on with Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network seven hundred WLW and ESPN fifteen thirty. We continue on breaking down all things Bengals on this Monday night of Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network in ESPN fifteen thirty. Lands but Kallister hanging out with Dave Lap them. We've got a lot to sort through between now and nine o'clock tonight. We've got a big pile of stuff to sort through on the defensive side, of things, Dave lap a man. The numbers they make your eyes go cross eye. Thirty first downs, allowed five hundred and seventy six total yards, two ninety three through the air, two eighty three in the ground, seven and a half yards to carry. David, it's the eighth straight game allowing at least twenty seven points, their fifth game allowing thirty or more points. It was just it was a dam that has broken and there's just no ability to stop it right now for this defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like you say, the dam is cracked and broken and they can't fix it. You know, they can't find a way to repair it. How many straight games allowing twenty eight points?
Speaker 2: Seven would be eight straight games at least twenty seven points.
Speaker 3: Jeez, eight straight games allowing least twenty seven points. That's uh, that's mind boggling. That that is Uh, that's almost impossible to do. You have to try hard to be that bad. It really is.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: And considered theave. They went through the much talked about defensive players only meeting last week and they did some some different type of technique drills prior to practice tackling wise, and yet there there doesn't seem to be a magic bullet that that is capable of fixing the tackling woves of this team. I think Next Gen had them unofficially for fifteen tackles missed, allowing extra one hundred and thirty three yards after the initial contact. That's a mind boggling now, but that's a football field and a third after miss tackles.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, you know. And you give up over five hundred yards as a defensive football team, and over one hundred and thirty of those because you gave them those yards by missing missing tackles. And that's not to say you know, miss tackles that led to scores. You know they were guilty of that infraction as well. Man, I don't know, what do you What do you do? If you're al Golden, you say, hey, let's scrimmage guys. You know, we gotta we gotta get after this. We have to get in a mindset where physicality is the name of the game. We have to go and and when we set foot on that football field, we have to believe that we're the most physical unit out there. One on one, every guy you match up against, you have to beat your guy. You have to defeat him at the line of scrimmage. You have to defeat your guy in space, you have to make open field tackles. I don't know, I don't know what you do. Do you beat up the football team? You don't have that many guys. I mean, do you take a chance and risk and injury to somebody by scrimmaging people? I mean, you know, back in the back in the day, there was the punishment theory. You know, you didn't do well, you're gonna get punished, and and you're gonna gonna hope you that that next game comes sooner than it really is. You don't want to go through this, day after day after day, what the coaches are making you go through. But hopefully Al Golden has a solution because right now it just does not look good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the Bears through everything and the kitchen sink at I mean yesterday, four different gadgets, gadget trick plays. Although it's funny, and talking with some people who cover the Bears, they say, Ben Johnson, it's just it's the way he is. He doesn't consider him trick plays. He considers it a variety of variation of his offense. And man, it had to be, it had to have the head spinning, especially if you're a young linebacker on this Bengals team right now, a rookie linebacker. Stuff like that was going on yesterday. I just had to have your spinning around like the Exorcist.
Speaker 3: Yeah really, I mean you're you're spinning like a top you know. You know. Ben Johnson is creative and the best way to attack a defense. Paul Brown always felt this way is to run multiple plays out of the same look. You know, maybe change the formation just a little bit at the last minute when the defense feels like they're they're set in terms of what you're lining up formationally, and they have a good idea what play you're gonna run, and then at the very last minute you change it and kind of, you know, homeboy, what do I do now? Put him in a little bit of a panic. Ben Johnson is that kind of guy. He's very, very creative with the way he looks at the game of football, and you know, he's just he's not gonna just line up and say it's me and you and we're gonna go on a back alley and we're gonna have a brawl. We're gonna have a footbawl. Uh, it's that's not the way he looks at the game of football. He looks at it as I've got a very very high football IQ. I know that everybody else knows that, and I'm gonna show it.
Speaker 2: The defense in the crosshairs right now, certainly. And and let's add in some perspective on what is transpiring on that side of the ball. Here's Dax Hill with Dan Horde after the game.
Speaker 8: Dax, I'm not sure what to say. I feel like I've seen it all at this point. You probably feel the same way. What's going through your mind right now?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 10: No words, I mean, I don't really have a whole lot to say about that. It's just unfortunate to be on that the wrong side of the ball.
Speaker 8: But yeah, what would you identify as the biggest problems that are happening on the defensive side right now?
Speaker 10: Just not getting stops when we're supposed to be getting stops, just being on the field too long, and when you're on the field for that long, something's bound to happen. So just got to get off the field early.
Speaker 8: When the Bengals scored to take the lead with fifty four seconds to go, those are the kinds of situations that you probably love to have the opportunity to get the final stop to clinch the win. What was what were you thinking as you guys took the field defensively under those circumstances.
Speaker 10: Just keeping keep the ball and bounds. I think they only had one time out and we just didn't do that.
Speaker 8: So what was your view of the final touchdown and what went wrong?
Speaker 4: I didn't really see it.
Speaker 10: I was on a blitch but just turned around saw the guy score.
Speaker 8: So it seemed like there was decent pressure at times on Caleb Williams. You forced him to scramble around quite a bit, unfortunately, just could not either sack him or prevent him from scrambling. Did you view that as a you know, a big key to why the Bears were able to score what they did?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, you know, if you can't get Caleb Williams down, then I mean it's it's gonna be a lone day. You know, he's you know, dynamic out of the pocket, and we didn't really contain him as much as we wanted to, so, uh, you know, the result as the result.
Speaker 8: I know it's hard for the guys on defense to see the offense put up the point totals they've been putting up and not come away with a win. What is that feeling like for everybody on this side of the locker room?
Speaker 10: This unfortunate. There's just no words. I mean, we put in the work, you know, throughout the entire weekend. We just don't get the result on Sunday. It's just you put in all that work and this is just what it is.
Speaker 9: So yeah, it's just hard.
Speaker 8: Feel like a buy is needed.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I guess appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jaxon Dax Hill after the game yesterday, and boy Dave one final thought on the defense in this segment. I look at their running numbers thirty seven carries, two hundred and eighty three yards, seven point six of Carrey. Those in looking at them on paper, those look like college numbers. That that's something like a running offense in college football would pile up in a game to carry it. And I remember when DeAndre Swift was ruled out on Friday, and I'm thinking, well, maybe the Bengals get a little bit of break here. DeAndre Swift's not going to play and a seventh round pick named Manongaui rushes for big time yarders to bring up a practiced guy, squad guy. It was like who wants the football? There was There were yards to be had yesterday on the ground.
Speaker 3: No question. I mean, manung guy one hundred and seventy six yards averaged six point eight to carry, unbelievable, had a thirty nine yard saunter.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: The other thing is Caleb Williams created an extent plays. Yes, he added fifty three yards rushing. That's a big number at the quarterback position. When you're not calling design run plays, you're not talking about quarterback counter, quarterback sweep, you know, quarterback trap, You're not talking about those kind of things. You're talking about a guy back to pass. You know, five seconds, he's looking down the football field for five five and a half seconds, doesn't like what he sees. They're doing a pretty good job in coverage, but he sees a lane that's opened up in the pass rush and he just abuses that thing. Big guy, strong guy, can run, very athletic. Caleb Williams was a factory yesterday. Not only with that howards are hanging off his right shoulder, but running the football.
Speaker 2: No doubt, and you alluded to it It's what they hoped they were getting at him, because there had been he had been inconsistent. At times, he'd make a throw that made your head hurt, or he made a decision that really those were eliminated. Yesterday he showed on before everybody's eyes, exactly what you were hoping for in developing a franchise quarterback, no.
Speaker 3: Question, I mean he he basically said to the Chicago Bears. I know you've taken some heat for taking me with the first pick in the draft. Yes, and thanks for staying with me, Thanks for hanging in there, thanks for letting me develop, Thanks for giving me time to develop and understand what it takes to play at at the level you need to play at in the National Football League. And I'm gonna pay it back. I'm gonna win a lot of football games for you, and hopefully we'll go to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the offensive line side of things as we continue here from Ted Carris and more. As we navigate our way through this Monday night, It's Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network at ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports station. We were rolling right along on this Monday night on the show We Call Bengals Line by Dude on the Bengals Radio Network and on ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports station oh Lancet.
Speaker 3: The Bengals are definitely licking their wounds after fall into the Chicago Bears, and time for the injury report presented by Kettering Healthy, official healthcare provider of this Cincinnati Bengals, providing the best care for the best fans. And I really don't know of any serious, you know, injuries. It's gonna cost the team multiple games with a player there may be a spray, a twist, a bruise or whatever. Guys were in the in the tent, uh getting getting checked out, X Ray's being taken, that sort of thing. Joe Flacco kind of tweaked that bad shoulder that he's got, but he ended up coming back into the football game. So all in all, I think the players pretty much sucked it up and worked that way through any ailments that may have been there.
Speaker 2: It'll be interesting to see if anything comes out of the samajp Ryan, who that dude's a warrior. He took that hit and he was down and it looked really bad, and then he jumped up and like like I'm I'm fine, I'm going to the sidelines. I've got a job to do. Don't worry about me. And that's that's just who he is, no doubt.
Speaker 3: I mean, and he was. They showed him on the sideline and he was gritting his teeth and he was grinding his teeth. You know that that that's a good indicator that you're dealing with some pain. But yeah, I mean, there he was back in the football game, running hard. That guy. I got a lot of respect for his game. He's a He's a big, powerful, sturdy back. There's no question about it. He goes downhill as well as anybody man. He takes online backers and and down lineman. Uh. It just he gives his body up. He sacrifices it for the for the good of the football team. Great short yardage goal line guy. Uh. The Bengals really like him, and they should.
Speaker 2: He's a guy Dave that he may not be the the All Pro, he may not get the headlines, he may not put up amazing numbers, but he's a guy every team can use because he can do a lot of things. He does them because he knows it helps his team win. And he doesn't say boo about doing it. That may be running, catching, blocking, tag, whatever it is, he's willing to do it.
Speaker 3: Yep. And uh, you know yesterday he wasn't a huge factor, only one carry for five yards in that in that running game. But again, like you said, he's willing to do whatever task needs to be done for his football team to win the football game. And that means, you know, getting the nasty, tough short yardage, goal line yards, picking up first downs and picking up touchdowns, catching the football out of the backfield, running, running real good routes, soft hands, catch the ball, put it away. He doesn't turn it over. He is basically allergic to turnovers. He hates them, doesn't want any part of them. And then the best, the last thing that he does about as good as anybody in the NFL, in my opinion, at the running back position. He will stick his nose right in the chest of a linebacker and do a hell of a job and blitz pick up for Joe Flacco or Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: Another guy who's a pros pro on this team is Ted Carris. Let's go inside the locker room after the game. Our friend James Rapine from Bengals Talk passed along a part of a conversation of Ted Terrris expressing what's going on with his team right now. Here's the veteran offensive lineman.
Speaker 12: Very grateful to be healthy and uh to play in the NFL and excited to see my family tonight. Obviously, two artbreakers in a row. Pretty crazy. So yeah, I've never recovered onside kick in the NFL. And and then went down and won. So that was I told everyone, sit down, it's not over. Obviously it wasn't, So maybe I won't say that next time.
Speaker 3: You've never done that.
Speaker 13: You said you covered it onside and I've never done that. No, it was pretty unique and pretty cool.
Speaker 9: Cool.
Speaker 12: That was a really good kick by uh because it didn't go ten, but it hit the guy.
Speaker 13: What did you learn about Joe Flacco this week?
Speaker 9: He's a grinder.
Speaker 13: I mean, he's a freaking Hall of Famer guy goes out there.
Speaker 12: I mean you should see his freaking ac Man, It's like crazy, goes out there, throws what five four seventy five? Come on, man, he can't ask for more than that out of your cue. So what a what a great addition to the team.
Speaker 8: You've seen a lot of ball.
Speaker 13: Have you ever seen anything.
Speaker 3: Like that game?
Speaker 12: No, I'm not I have not seen anything like that game.
Speaker 13: That was a crazy ending.
Speaker 12: You know, hard to denote something as a classic when you lose, but that was.
Speaker 13: At an all time game eight days ago.
Speaker 14: If I would have said, hey, you can to score eighty points as a team, because he had seven today with Charlie, but eighty nboo and two, what do you think your reaction would have been.
Speaker 13: I don't think I would have had a reaction, James. I think I would have called you a liar.
Speaker 15: How do you fight frustration and avoiding the stuff, the finger pointing type stuff that you need to try to avoid in the locker room.
Speaker 8: Where do you start with that as a captain?
Speaker 12: Well, we'll let We'll let the city do enough finger pointing. I'm sure there's enough to go around. But hey, I mean we just got to get ready to go get a week off, and then we got Pittsburgh. So I mean, Jase, here we go and there's the NFL. So grateful to be here. I wish would have won. But Cammy, is.
Speaker 16: There an accumulating frustration in the fact that a lot of the ways that y'all have lost with this year at times have looked like it did last year. Is there any accumulating frustration in that way? Even when Burrow was healthy, games kind of looked like this at certain points I had I.
Speaker 12: Have no accumulating frustration. I'm sure some people do, but I'm not.
Speaker 3: I have a job to do.
Speaker 13: So, you know, we had a good front in front of us.
Speaker 12: Say we had Grady Jarrett Dexter sweat, I mean we have we have to think about other things. We got guys coming and trying to run down your face. So I thought we did a good job as an O line protecting them. They got one cheap one on a squeeze.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 13: Overall I thought we can put up what forty two or thirty five as an O one with Charlie.
Speaker 3: That was great.
Speaker 13: So you know, oh well we'll get a week off.
Speaker 12: I'm enjoying the time with my daughter and uh get a jump start on the Pittsburgh Steelers who are rolling right now.
Speaker 2: Take Carris after the game. And if you're looking for guys who can to use the cliche steady at ship in shaky waters, Ted Carris has been there, done that. It is one of those calming voices of reason and leadership on this team.
Speaker 3: You're right on the money there, Lance. I mean, he's a grizzled veteran YEP that has the respect and trust of his teammates, you know, particularly guys up front, particularly the offensive line. It's almost like he's another coach on the field, you know, the way he handles things. He's you know, he's approaching double digit years. He's one of the most experienced, if not the most experienced veteran player on the football team, and everybody looks to him for leadership and he's more than willing to provide it. It doesn't matter what position or how many years you're in the league. If you're a you know, a rookie to a fourth year player just now starting to get vested for your retirement, and you want to know what you need to do and how you need to do it to hang around the National Football League and play as long as you possibly can. Just have a conversation, sit down with Ted Carriss. He'll tell you how to take care of your body, how to work out and make your body bigger and strong longer, how to compete at the highest level in the National Football League, the guys that you're going to be going up against. Ted Carriss is a gem. He is man and the Bengals that's one of the best deals that they've ever made in franchise history in my opinion, when they got Ted Carriss, they got the New England Patriots to part with Ted.
Speaker 2: Carriss, boy, and think about it, if and so many times you hear of a player who said, this guy, when I was young and coming into the league, took me under his arm and I learned from him. You've got two rookie guards and Dylan Fairchroud and Jalen Rivers wide eyed learning things for the first time. And to have a guiding force like Ted Carriss that builds a foundation that helps them become pros into the future.
Speaker 3: Good point, Lance, I mean, you know your football and you've seen a lot of football. Bob Johnson was that guy from me. You know, the original Bengal first picking the draft is nineteen sixty eight, his rookie year. Paul Brown said, this is a foundational football player. We're gonna we're gonna start at the center position and bill out uh in in offense and uh We're gonna we're gonna do the same thing on the defensive side of of the football. So I can't say tell you how influential he was in my understanding what it took to to make a team. First of all, there's no guarantee you're gonna make it. You get drafted, but you gotta make it. And uh, and what it takes to compete on a on a day to day basis in the national football you get yourself better. And I was very fortunate had Bob Johnson had John Shinner as a veteran played at Xaviers. Zavier didn't even have football anymore. That's how long ago we're talking about John Shinner's.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 3: Another pros pro, Howard fest was a messenger guard with John Shinners running Holland Big Sookie out of Tennessee State. He was Uh, he was a great player and and just a character, just a great human being, a funny guy. And Rufus may Is out of Ohio State, big roof. Uh that that guy. Now, you didn't want to get Rufus upset if you pissed Huer defensive line and you pissed Rufus mas off. Oh, it was hell to.
Speaker 2: Be paid man, Love it we put just about at our first hour and the books come back our final segment of the air, then we'll make the transition into our number two, two of three tonight total. It's Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network at ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station. Hey, welcome back in in hit down the stretch with us in our first hour of Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network. Lance but Camels Drew along with Dave Leppom. Yes, sir, Lance and shop the Bengals Pro Shop. Find the best selection in Bengals merchandise anywhere. This is the Pro Shops, seven days a week located on the north side of pay Court Stadium. Our shop online at Bengals dot com. All right, busy first hour, we are even busier in our number two. Still ahead, you hear from Chase Brown. We'll hear from Jamar, Chase fun Facts, Noah Fan or In Burke's the special Teamer and Linebacker. All of that to sink our teeth into in our second hour tonight of Bengals Line. It is on the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 1: This is Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network pay Corps. Pay Corps proud to be the official HR software provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering hew best Care for the best Fans, kettering hewth official healthcare provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 2: Hey, we continue on on our Monday Night journey. We do it each and every week, although next week, because of the bye, we are off, so we'll be back at you the following week. But we sort through what transpires and then look ahead. We've got a whole lot to still sort through. From yesterday forty seven to forty two, the final score Chicago Bears went at pay Corps Stadium. Let's add in some more offensive prospective. Chase Brown yesterday carried eleven times for thirty seven yards, had a long of twelve. He was targeted fourteen times. He was targeted five more times than anybody else on the team. Had eight catches for seventy five yards a law long of twenty one. Here's Chase Brown after the game.
Speaker 17: When you guys have back to back games where you know you scored thirty eight points over forty points today as an offense, does it almost feel like you guys are in disbelief to the point like what more can we do? Or how are you compartmentalizing these two losses?
Speaker 13: Well, I think for us is.
Speaker 18: Uh, you know, we made some good plays, but we also weren't perfect. So that's what you're chasing this game is perfection. At the end of the day, there's a lot of things that we could have been better in and you know, when we go and watch a film, we'll we'll learn from them and move on and you know.
Speaker 13: Let's just control what we can control at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Losing like that is.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it's unbelievable, Like it's unbelievable. Last play the game like it sucks, But that's NFL. You got to play to the last second. You can't let up, even even when you feel like the momentum shifted. So that would that would be how I'm feeling right now is just play all the way through and.
Speaker 8: Always wrong through your head walking back to the locker.
Speaker 18: Room chase, probably the same as what was running through your head, like like what the what.
Speaker 8: The when did that emotion change to just hanger?
Speaker 12: Knowing how differently this season could have looked if you closed out the last two weeks.
Speaker 13: So it just it, just it.
Speaker 18: I'd be lying if I said it didn't set us back from where we want to be.
Speaker 13: You know, we want to be.
Speaker 18: Our mentality was three and o going into the into this bye week, and we we could have easily done it.
Speaker 13: That's the sickening part. It's like we could have easily done it.
Speaker 8: One of the hensions.
Speaker 12: It looks like it's building between the offense and defense, at least from the outside.
Speaker 15: What do you do as a leader on the team of someone to kind of prevent that from how happening.
Speaker 13: Just don't turn on each other, like we we know how they can play.
Speaker 18: They played really well at the start of the season like they did and they like they were carrying us on their back. So you know, now that we're stepping up, I think like I think, like, you know, we just got to play complimentary football, like we put the ball in the end zone and go up a point at the end, finish the game, like just end it, like that's it, Like that's that's like that's what we need to do. Just end the game, like make them, make them get us the ball back.
Speaker 13: Let us go to.
Speaker 18: Twenty two victory and let's end the game. That's how that's like, that's how I feel. You know what we like, you know, we can't we we didn't.
Speaker 13: We're taking steps forward so offensively, so that's good.
Speaker 18: Like, you know, we're trying to control what we can control, and we're going to keep doing what we can do.
Speaker 13: And you know.
Speaker 18: Flaco fought like a warrior today with you know, the way his shoulder was, like, you know, things aren't going to be perfect, but you know, we made things work on our end, and you know, we made mistakes, we learned from them, but we just kept on fighting and with the end of the day, like you got to go to the very end, Chase.
Speaker 16: How frustrating is it that y'all got Flacco in here to boost the offense, goes out does what he did last week and this week and it still hasn't been enough. How frustrating is it that it kind of has worked out the way they hoped and just the results haven't been there.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, I think it's been enough.
Speaker 18: It's just we got to finish, Like we just got to finish at the end of the day, Like we're putting points on the board now, so like, let's let's let's finish off these games and get these wins, and you know we'll be we'll be good.
Speaker 8: Do you feel like last year at all?
Speaker 13: In what way? I guess the score a lot not always been enough.
Speaker 18: I guess you could say there's similarities. But you know we're not gonna turn on each other. We'll be just fun, will be good.
Speaker 19: Like you feel like you have to be perfect, almost offensively chase for.
Speaker 9: You guys to win.
Speaker 18: At this point, that's our vul we we we chase perfection every week.
Speaker 13: So you chase perfection every week.
Speaker 18: So you know, yeah, we weren't perfect today, so you know we'll try to be perfect next next opportunity.
Speaker 19: If you look at the effort that you had on the final drive, that te had on the final drive, I mean, guys are putting it on the line for you to win games, and you leave here without a win. What's that emotionally like for you? Considering what you're doing to win.
Speaker 13: I'm gonna go do it next time we get the opportunity.
Speaker 18: So that's just my mentality next time we're in that same if we're in that same situation, I'm gonna do the same thing, do whatever I can to make a play and put the team in position to win. And that's all I care about the end of the day. I don't care if I flip or I know any playmaker on this team, any any position, Like, we're all willing to do whatever it takes a win.
Speaker 13: We just gotta finish.
Speaker 18: I think that's like what you go into this bye week, think you and kind of repeating to yourself is.
Speaker 13: Just finish, finish, Finish these goddamn games. Finish them.
Speaker 14: Given the fact that you went up against this defense and training camp and how they started the season, is it surprising that they haven't finished the past couple of weeks and and got these ones for you? M Oh okay, yeahs it surprising that they didn't do theirs. I'm like, I don't know, old No, your own defense, you face them every day.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we know what they can do, So that's it.
Speaker 18: Just play up to your standard and when it's your opportunity to strap somebody up or make the tackle or whatever it is.
Speaker 9: Do it.
Speaker 8: Think you're leadership on that side of the ball right now.
Speaker 18: I think so we got leaders, we got vets, we got guys with you know, captain Badgers on their chests like we're good.
Speaker 13: There no stepping up up in a big way.
Speaker 18: I think, Uh, you know, they just need they just need to figure it out.
Speaker 13: They'll be good. Like they'll be good, they'll do.
Speaker 15: So does it feel like the season is slipping away on you guys a little bit right now?
Speaker 18: We're just gonna keep you know, keep a foot all the way down in the throttle and we'll be good. Well, we're not gonna we just can't lose a locker run. That's if we can't lose. Like, I'm not gonna point fingers. I could have been better today. That's how I'm feeling leaving the field. Like, you know, I'll focus on me and let everybody else focus on what they need to get better at. And then when we come together and against the next opponent, you know, we're all gonna be better. So yeah, that's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: Chase Brown after the game yesterday, and he, like most there was that expression of back to what Zach said, I can't believe this happened today, And who would believe had had we said two weeks ago, Dave, the Bengals will score thirty eight points and followed up with forty two points and lose both of those games. Nobody would have thought that possible. But we are looking at that very fact right now. We certainly are, and it's it's mind boggling. The Bengals ran the ball.
Speaker 3: Just fifteen times yesterday, they threw it forty seven. When you're that imbalanced, usually it's a blowout. But it was a five point game, forty seven forty two. They scored forty two points being that imbalanced. I mean, if they can somehow balance up their offense where they run the ball for one hundred and fifty yards and throw the ball for two fifty or something like that, and you know, and get after people with an offense that's generating three hundred and fifty three hundred and seventy five four hundred yards offense and is is cranking, you know, twenty eight to thirty five points. Yeah, that should that should win you're a lot of football games. Now. Obviously it would have come up far short yesterday, There's no doubt about that. But you know, you take away the twelve yard carry, ten carries for twenty five yards, two point five a rush for Chase Brown, on ten carries, and that's not that's not Chase Brown. You know, maybe every once in a while he might have decided I'm gonna I misread that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It came back to the my bad guys, it was blocked. Well, I misread it more times than not. Though to my eye, it was just the offensive line getting beat. In the offensive line, instead of getting some push up front, they were getting pushed. They were getting pushed back off the line of scrimmage, and that's tough on any running back. You see the numbers of your offensive lineman standing straight up, you know that it's not going very well for those guys up front.
Speaker 2: David, I'll tell you what I love from the very first offensive snap of the game for this team. And much has been made about how many targets Jamar Chase had had twenty three two weeks ago, I think sixteen last week. Tea was only targeted two times last week, only one catch. That was a subject of conversation throughout the week and whether they planned it or it just happened this way. The very first snap of the game, Joe Flacco finds t Higgins and it was an omen of things to come. Nine targets, seven catches, one hundred and twenty one yards, two touchdowns. T had a big ge. T had a T Higgins day yesterday.
Speaker 3: He did. The fans were in full throw too.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 3: That forty four yard touchdown catch was a thing of beauty. He really was. Oh he did. He's got such strong hands and and T is so good at the contested catch. He's got length, he's got strength, strong hands, he can he can snatch the football and put it away. And a really good route runner. You know, T Higgins would be the number one receiver on thirty one other teams, but he's with Jamar Chase, and Jamar Chase triple crown winner last year. You know, catches yards and touchdowns, so got to get him involved. But with that said, you know, he T Higgins in Jamar Chase. Nine targets for T, eight for Jamar, seven catches for T. Six for Jamar, one hundred and twenty one yards for T. One hundred and eleven for Jamar, you know, and T had the two touchdowns. That that is gonna make it very very difficult for defenses because cheez, who do we double? You know, we double both of them and then Gasicki or somebody like that needs to step up. And that's the thing. Offensively, they've got all the weapons. They got a plethora of weapons. Whatever the defense does, the Bengals have a counter move to it, you know, I mean, if it's a chess match, they're not going to get checkmated.
Speaker 2: How about this and I five me another team that can say this is that from an offensive skill set. Catches yesterday long catches. Chase Brown had a long of twenty one. He had a long of forty four, Chase thirty six, Yoshi twenty eight, Hudson had a thirty three yard catch. Fans had a twenty three yard catch. Tinsley had a twenty seven yard catch Dave. Seven different guys yesterday had catches for at least twenty three yards.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, it is, It's absolutely crazy. And only seven guys had a catch, so every single one of the receivers had a reception of twenty yards more twenty three, twenty seven, twenty eight, thirty three, thirty six, twenty one for Chase Brown out of the backfield. Higgins the forty four yard touchdown. Like we said, two touchdown passes were long long range, long distance t. Higgins and no offense. And that's what we're talking about if they do start paying a hell of a lot of attention outside Gasiki was nicked up, you know, he wasn't available. But if you have a Gasiki and Fan keeps developing, now you have two tight ends that can hurt you the way those guys showed that they can hurt you, and then throw Hudson in there to boot. I mean it. There's no shortage of weapons now, Yep. The quarterbacks aren't complaining about that. There's no shortage of guys for them to sling the football to.
Speaker 2: Had a final point that the two tight ends Hudson and Fan combined had five targets. They caught four of them for seventy yards and a touchdown. Nice out of work. That's a heck of a day from your tight end all day, every day. No hang type more to get to here from Jamar Chase on the offensive side of things. So we roll on with Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports station.
Speaker 9: You were old right.
Speaker 2: Along in this Monday night, navigating our way through three hours of Bengal's conversation looking back at yesterday forty seven forty two at pay Corps. The bye week coming up, but we've got ground to cover between now and nine o'clock tonight, so let's continue on. Jamar Chase yesterday targeted eight times, six catches, one hundred and eleven yards, an average of eighteen and a half per catch along of thirty six. Here's Jamar meeting with the media after the game.
Speaker 20: Often's got a final way to put the bott in the game away? Somehow, some way you gotta do it.
Speaker 3: How do you keep.
Speaker 8: Putting it on the offense his shoulders?
Speaker 6: Considering what you've all.
Speaker 20: Watched the last month or so, you say, why, Yeah, that's only the way we're gonna fix it. I don't know how why that's what I'm looking to keep pointing at offense.
Speaker 9: I can't point out the defense.
Speaker 3: You haven't been.
Speaker 21: Around a comeback like that before. No, fifteen points in like about a minute and a half. No, who's going three of mine is in the last call?
Speaker 3: What was working?
Speaker 9: What was the uh?
Speaker 13: Guys put up a lot of fundy yet.
Speaker 20: I don't know exactly what was working at in the day. It was a lot and everybody had opportunity to touch the bottle. This so the offense was uh, very very versatile today.
Speaker 8: I mean, what Flacca's doing is pretty extraordinary, more than three hundred yards in the second half alone. What has he shown you?
Speaker 20: He's a veteran, he's showing us he a vetter.
Speaker 8: When you scored with fifty four seconds to go to take the lead, what was running through your mind?
Speaker 9: And the defense gonna stop?
Speaker 14: It's coming frustrating at this point talking about, you know, just needing eating stops as.
Speaker 9: This time was why wee can meet up?
Speaker 20: I'm getting tirdy I asking me about the defense and stops? Yeh, I aks the defense that stopped asking me that on my offensive play.
Speaker 3: A though.
Speaker 6: Joe was just.
Speaker 19: Talking in there about the the importance of what you guys said eight weeks left.
Speaker 9: It's an emotional game.
Speaker 19: But all you can do is put your head down in work. How will you approach the next week and a half.
Speaker 20: But now what I did this week, i'm'a keep working and being myself.
Speaker 22: Takes some work tomorrow. What what does it say about Joe Flackellen what he was able to do, fight through the shoulder injury and throw f four seventy were veteran.
Speaker 20: It's used to it kept his composure the whole game.
Speaker 3: How hard is it to keep your composure after a game like this?
Speaker 9: It's not fun when you losing.
Speaker 22: I guess I'll ask you the same question I asked last week? How hard or what's it going to be like maintaining hope through the bye week for the second half.
Speaker 20: I'll go back to practice, work there and just play football.
Speaker 14: Felt like you guys are kind of on the other end of of what happened last week. You rally in the fourth party to score two touchdowns in like a minute of game time. What goes through your mind when you're scoring that second touchdown and particul a leap.
Speaker 9: Deep thing to get a stop?
Speaker 2: Jamar after the game, and Jamar was asked about it. Chase Brown was asking about it. Everybody in the offense has been asked about it. And it's that it's that delicate balance Dave of when when one side is putting up so many points and the other side isn't, the questions become about, you know, how do you feel about the other guys not helping you out? And that makes it it's always very uncomfortable and it's always a delicate line because it is a team and you don't want to throw anybody under the bus. But on one side of the room, you've got a group that's doing their job, and on the other side you're looking and saying, can we get a little bit of help here?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and in the locker room, they know that, they understand that, you know, and it's almost like the defensive players come up to, you know, Joe Flacco and Jamar Chase and t Higgins after the game say hey, guys, man, you balled out. You gave every everything you had. Sorry we could, we didn't give you enough support. We didn't get it done. And you know, it literally does happen. Some guys do do that. I mean, they feel like, man, I just totally did not fulfill my responsibilities to help a football team win. And uh, you know it's it stinks. I mean, I've gotta I've gotta, I gotta be better. I have to do a better job. I got to take care of business and whatever I need to do to take care of business, whether it's you know, change my diet, change my workout habits, my uh procedure, how many days a week. I do it. When I work out how I work out. Uh, that's that's where they are. The season is on the brink, as the old saying goes, and everybody's got to do whatever it takes to get the thing turned around quickly. Boy.
Speaker 2: And you think there have been there's there's a lot of guys on the defensive side who are young and learning, and that's that's always tough. But in tough times to be in that situation, there's that back to the old Marvin Lewis cliche, farm your own crops, do your job. And when so much chaos is happening with the defense, I would think the the inclination is I got to make all the plays and I got to be everywhere at the same time. And when that happens, it's just it's just chaos. And sometimes it looks like on the field there's guys running around trying to do ten other guys jobs.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and that's that's when you're you're one step away from chaos.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know.
Speaker 3: It's like there's the coaches burn the midnight oil, putting together game plans, putting together sche manics, putting together playbooks, putting together you know, everything they can to get you in a position to win a football game. And if you decide, yeah, the hell with it, it's not working. And then panic sets in and guys, I'm gonna make every tackle. I'm gonna have a fifty tackle game. You know, It's like, come on, man, you know, just play football. It's it's selfish. They're trying not to be They're trying to be just the opposite.
Speaker 2: Right, They're trying to help. They take their help anything.
Speaker 3: Anything, and and literally, I mean, I'll give my right arm, I'll give my right leg, you know, if that's what it takes. Some guys are of that mindset, particularly crazy linebackers. Man, it's that that is a uh that's a tough place to be and uh the uh you have to go see a sports psychologist and say, you know, how do I how do I get over this? How do I what do I do? How do I? How do I take care of business in a different way? And it's it's not an easy deal. And and you know, wives and kids, uh suffer repercussions from that, and sometimes you know, it leads to divorce and and and things that are tough in life, not just football life, but life in general. So man, you can never take anything for granted, particularly in the game of football.
Speaker 2: Still ahead, we'll drop in our weekly Fun Facts conversation Dan Horde with Noah Fant. You'll hear from orin Berks and uh More. He's Dave Lapham. I'm Lance Pacallister. The show is Bengals Line. We do it on the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station. Hey, We're back on Bengals Line on this Monday night on the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty through yesterday at pay Corpse Stadium, looking ahead of the bye and trade deadline tomorrow and all that to get to. I'm Lance Pacallister. He is Dave Lapham.
Speaker 3: A lot of activity coming up, Lance, a lot of activities. Bye. We couldn't come at a better time and they need to get away from it. Hey, Bengals fans on Fridays, make sure to listen to myself and Dan Horde from Bengals pep Rally presented by Just Bear Chicken on the air from three to six pm on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 2: We love Dan Horde's weekly fun Fact segment. This week, the spotlight on Bengals tight end Noah Fan. Two catches on three targets an average of fourteen yards to catch the twenty three yard for a touchdown. Here is Dan with fun facts and Bengals tight end no Offen no fantastic facts.
Speaker 9: With Dan Ord.
Speaker 8: Time for some fun facts with tight end Noah Fan from Omaha, Nebraska, the biggest city in Nebraska, the home of the College World Series Noah. Based on what I've read, you're the youngest of six kids. Is that accurate? And what was that like?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm definitely definitely the youngest of six, three brothers and two sisters, and it was a great, great upbringing.
Speaker 9: Definitely.
Speaker 11: My my siblings thought I was a little bit spoiled, but it was great. I have great relationships with all of them, so couldn't complain.
Speaker 8: It's funny you say that because I'm the fourth of five, and my older siblings always said, You've got it so easy. Mom and dad have just kind of given up. They're letting you do whatever you want.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: No, I definitely definitely think there's some of the same. But my parents were tough on me growing up, but in a good way, so I was blessed to have them.
Speaker 8: One of your older brothers was your high school coach. Was he tough on you?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 11: I think my brother just wanted the best for me, wanted me to do achieved greatness, And yeah, he was a big part of my development early on growing up, as with my dad and my mom.
Speaker 9: But yeah, he was. He was a big part of that.
Speaker 8: You attended Omaha South High School but also took classes at the University of Nebraska Medical Center while you were in high school. Tell me about that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the un m C High School Alliance was kind of a program for high school students to kind of get a fast track to.
Speaker 9: Any medical profession that they wanted to get into going into college.
Speaker 11: So it was taking college classes out of college at a college campus and you know, kind of working in and seeing what path we wanted to take when we got into college.
Speaker 9: So it was a great experience.
Speaker 11: And I still keep in touch with some of the people that run that program and have gone back to visit before. And yeah, I'm just super fortunate to be able to partake in that.
Speaker 8: You dealt with Kidavers, Yeah, what was that like?
Speaker 9: You know, it's definitely a unique experience.
Speaker 11: Not something that I thought that I would have been doing that young but uh man, what a cool like a like a cool experience and a blessing for me to be able to do that at such a young age and really learn. I learned so much in that in that program and the classes that I took, so I was super fortunate to be able to be a part of that.
Speaker 8: In your scouting report coming out of college on NFL dot com, it said you had an idea of possibly being a surgeon after playing football. Is that still a remote possibility in your mind?
Speaker 11: I'm not so sure yet. There's a lot of schooling that I would have to go through after playing football in year seven, so we'll see how it plays out. But not shutting in any doors.
Speaker 8: We're visiting with Noah Fant. When it came time to pick a college, you chose the school with a reputation of being tight end You Iowa, Dallas Clark, George Kittle, TJ. Howkinson, Sam Laporta, Eric alf from the Bengals, and others. How do you explain that lineage of Greade tight ends?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I think that just like when I was going to Iowa, the guys that were kind of there before me were like Dallas car Tony Malaki, I think Scott Chandler, guys of that nature that had been there before and had made it to the NFL. And it was just kind of one of those things that was that was a selling point that if I wanted to play tight end in a in an offense that used the tight end quite often, that I wanted to be able to do that and go and go there. And obviously my freshman year was Georgia's senior year, and then after that it's just been pumping out tight ends, uh, definitely more frequently ever since. So it's been It's been a really cool experience to be a part of.
Speaker 9: For sure.
Speaker 8: Is it almost like a self fulfilling prophecy where the best high school tight ends in the country gravitate to Iowa and then it's almost destiny that they're going to turn out to be pros.
Speaker 11: You know, Honestly, I think that I wouldn't necessarily say the best, like the best top recruits that tightened really go to Iowa. I think I would does a really good job of identifying guys that have the traits and then developing them.
Speaker 9: Like when I was coming out of high school.
Speaker 11: As a three star athlete out of Nebraska, I had like fifteen offers from different schools, but wasn't like a top recruited five star tight end coming out of out of high school. So they do a great job of identifying guys with those traits and developing them into a all around tight end. So that was something I was really proud of going there and being a part of.
Speaker 8: After three years with the Hot Eyes, you entered the draft and were selected in the first round twentieth overall by Denver. Describe your draft night experience.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was a great experience.
Speaker 11: I mean, obviously it was waiting a little bit twenty picks in, but it wasn't complaining at all. It was just like a very stressful situation. But what a cool experience for me and my family being there all together in the green room and getting that call from Denver at the time, and it was a surreal moment, So really cool experience for for me and my family.
Speaker 8: You had three good years in Denver, you probably expected to be there for a long long time, and then the Broncos pulled off a blockbuster trade for Russell Wilson, giving up multiple high draft picks and yourself in that deal. Did you have any inkling that you might be traded or was it a total shock?
Speaker 9: No, I was.
Speaker 11: I was pretty shocked, to be honest with you, Hindsight twenty twenty. Obviously, I'll understand, right, it's like you get your shot at a franchise quarterback at the time that you think it's your franchise quarterback, and you're gonna do whatever. You know, you're not going to hold back a tight end for that deal, you know what I'm saying. So I understood, I understood it. I was definitely shocked and taken it back by it. Some would say blindsided, but like, man, it was such crazy experience. And obviously was traded to Seattle and had some good years there, but uh, yeah, it was. It was definitely wild, a wild experience for sure.
Speaker 8: So three years in Denver, three years in Seattle, and then earlier this year they let you go kind of in a salary cap dump type situation. But it did give you the opportunity to choose for the first time since you were in high school. Did you enjoy that?
Speaker 11: It was a very interesting experience because it was I supposed choosing, but at a time that was very late in the process, and you know, got people had already really had the roster set and things of that nature. So yeah, it was nice to choose, I suppose, but like wasn't an ideal situation that late in the game, which was kind of a little frustrating. But yeah, I was happy to be able to land in Cincinnati. What a great place for me to land at with coach Taylor and pitch and James Casey is a great, great Titans coach. I've been really really fortunate to be able to work with them and be in a good situation here. So it ended up working out, But obviously it was definitely a process to get there for sure.
Speaker 8: All Right, a few wild card topics now for Bengals type and Noah Fan, who is your all time favorite athlete in any sport?
Speaker 11: I would say you Michael Jordan. I wasn't old enough to like see him in his prime, but just like the greatness of him and the championships that he's won, that his all of his highlights.
Speaker 9: He's just an iconic player.
Speaker 11: Whenever someone mentions like a goat of a sport, it's like he automatically comes up. He's definitely a polarizing player that not only changed the game but changed really just like the world kind of honestly, He's like he was a world known athlete.
Speaker 9: So it was like, what a cool what a cool experience, like experience.
Speaker 11: To be able to see but unfortunately I wasn't able to see it, But what a cool experience to like be able to go back and watch those highlights and experience that greatness.
Speaker 8: So and he made it okay for people like me to be bald. Yeah, you've spent seven years in the NFL, You've done well financially. What do you like to splur John?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 11: Food, That's like, that's one of the things that I'll like pay a good dollar for, is like a just a really good meal, especially like with friends and families, which is which is one of the things that I value very much.
Speaker 9: So food is definitely one of those things.
Speaker 8: Big fancy steakhous are something more eclectic and foodie either one.
Speaker 11: I'm I'm a pretty wide range guy that'll that'll like have anything to eat, And honestly, it's a it's just a what's the choice of the day, honestly.
Speaker 8: So other than sports, do you have any hidden talents?
Speaker 9: I don't know about hidden talents.
Speaker 11: I just kind of I try to view myself as like a like a pretty multi faceted guy, Like I just like a lot of different things. I do a lot of different things, and I don't think there's just one one singular thing that I'm like super talented at though.
Speaker 8: All Right, final fun fact for Noah F This one's kind of deep. If you could meet anybody in history, living or deceased, who would that person be?
Speaker 11: I would want to EAT's my dad's dad. He passed away when my dad was very young, so it'd have been my grandpa. But I never got to meet him. But I definitely wouldn't want to met him and just kind of talk to him and see what he see how he viewed life, see how he viewed everything. Obviously my dad didn't wasn't able to have those those moments with him very long, But yeah, I think those would be some really cool conversations to see what he thought.
Speaker 8: No doubt about it. No, I appreciate your time, best of luck the rest of the year.
Speaker 9: Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: No The subject of fun facts, that conversation and more each week The Bengals Booth Podcast still ahead, we'll talk special teams. How about it the day by special teams. You hear from special team or extraordinary or in Berks and so much more as we continue with Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station rolling right along on this Monday night and Bengals on the Bengals the Radio fifteen thirty Lamskay Muster, Dave Lap them special teams in the spotlight in this segment. Bengals got a kick return for a touchdown, they recovered it on side kick, they deflected and blocked a field goal. We'll get into all of that in this segment, but let's start it off with conversation with the man who plays special teams and linebacker. He's the veteran want to ring with the Philadelphia Eagles, That would be Oron Burks. Here's Dan Horde with Oran after the game.
Speaker 23: They played fast, we played physical. Like I said, this player here here or there, they're gonna change the game. So for us, it's about sick sticking together in our room, and I truly believe that they're going to be on the other side of this thing.
Speaker 9: At the end of the year. Did they do it on the ground?
Speaker 23: Would just run ball? All the runs that we've seen throughout the year, same shots, Thomas.
Speaker 9: Again, it's for us. You gotta get off tape, so expect to work.
Speaker 6: Can you can you run through the on site?
Speaker 23: Yeah, just on the side. You knew were gonna have an opportunity to get to the ball and.
Speaker 9: Just got a scratch, claw, crawl, just.
Speaker 23: Try to get the ball out. That's that was my first time getting on side. So it was pretty pretty cool.
Speaker 6: You grab it for somebody?
Speaker 13: What was going on down there?
Speaker 9: Is just a scrum man just trying to get the ball.
Speaker 13: Did you guys know that they touched it so it was live?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Yeah, so I hit off the the guy went out to block.
Speaker 22: So when you're a veteran, obviously you've played on championship teams, what is your message to younger players who are obviously very.
Speaker 4: Emotional right now?
Speaker 23: Yeah, there's gotta be no quit uh, and I don't see that on this team.
Speaker 9: There's no quit inn this team.
Speaker 23: And uh, we gotta rely on each other, trust each other, and I'll just get back to work.
Speaker 13: I think I think the day, uh, I think the day began. You had a hell of a block on Charlie's kick returning it.
Speaker 9: See it seems like.
Speaker 13: About eight years ago, but uh what Uh can you run through that one too.
Speaker 23: Yeah, we were just stressing making a game change of play on special teams and uh that what what a great way to start the game with the opening kickoff take it into the house and uh that.
Speaker 9: That again just comes back to the work.
Speaker 23: Uh, And and Darren's been doing a great job of putting us in the right positions. It's it's for us to go out and execute consistently.
Speaker 9: So that's what we're working on.
Speaker 14: How much was the opportunities in the last two weeks, two chances to close games out at home staying over the next twenty four forty eight hours.
Speaker 23: Yeah, it definitely stings, but you know, at the end of the day, those games are over with and uh we got a n A buy right now so we can refresh and get right back to it. And Uh, like I said, I just really believe in this team. There's no quitting this team. And uh's for us, uh to just keep working and s and stick together.
Speaker 3: Obviously, you guys have the players only running on Monday, Are you a little.
Speaker 22: Bit surprised, disappointed in the fundamentals today, the tackling.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we're just gonna keep working.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 23: You know, there's it's not gonna be fixing one week. You know, it's continually getting better week by week. And uh it just looking looking at ourselves in the mirror. Am I giving my best effort into my on top of my assignments? And you know that's that's something we can all do. Uh, there's no point fingers and uh that's for us as pros to to to get it fixed.
Speaker 6: They ran for uh two sixty last uh two fifty?
Speaker 13: Well, uh good about five hundred the last two weeks.
Speaker 21: Is there any thing you could put your finger on in the run in the run deeper?
Speaker 23: We're gonna we're gonna fix it internally. We know what needs to be be uh be done to to stop the run game. You can't stop the run, You're not gonna win in this league. That's what it comes too. So for us, as you know, everybody just committed to it.
Speaker 8: As a defensive guy, you love those situations with a minute to go and a chance to make the play right to win the game.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you want it on your back.
Speaker 23: You know the offense did a great job driving down the field, putting us in a position to win, and we just came up short. And you know, there's no point in the fingers is again like everybody looking internally at ourselves, How can I be better? Just being the best riding themselves out there on the field, and collectively that's what we're gonna like the results if you could continue to do that.
Speaker 15: Are there times in your career, whether defenses or just teams you were on just seem like it was kind of going the wrong way no matter what you've tried, and then you guys found a way to dog guys or something you look back on and remember his keys to things like that.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I feel like in life in general, you're going to face adversities. Is how you respond. And like I said this, this team has no quit. The guys are committed to getting it right. It hasn't shown yet. Well, you know, I feel like we're continuing taking steps forward to get better.
Speaker 8: Thanks Flacko's performance, I mean, four hundred and fifty plus three hundred yards in the second half with an ac joint sprain. Are you just astounded by what that guy's doing.
Speaker 23: Yeah, guy's tough. Guy's tough. He's been playing this league for a long time. There's a reason why. And you know, for him to step up in that way coming off of you know, a cu on the throwing on that's that just shows like how much he's committed to giving his best.
Speaker 9: And for us, it's like, all right, we look at that.
Speaker 23: You know that that should inspire us to give a little bit more. So, just hats off to him the training staff for getting him right this week on a quick turnaround. You know, so we just got to get right back with the boy. We get fresh and get healthy and be ready to go.
Speaker 8: For the wrong rung with the on side kick recovery and the subsequent touchdown where you briefly thinking this is going to go down as one of the most memorable wins that I've been a part of.
Speaker 23: Man, I've been just trying to do the best I can on that one play. You know, we had one a couple of weeks ago. We had the opportunity to get the ball and then you know, I looked at Tanner, I was like, we gotta get this one. So, you know, again, just believe in each other. I feel like that's the common theme is is sticking together and believe in each other. We're gonna like we'll see at the end of the day.
Speaker 6: Along side Kick, what happened You're down in the bottom of the scrum. What was happening to you?
Speaker 23: I don't know what happened, man, I'm just trying to find a way to get it come up with the more. Yeah, I mean, that's that's part of everybody knows. The bottom of the pile can get kind of crazy. But you know, one objectives to come out with the ball, so you find a way to get that done.
Speaker 8: You always look forward to a bye week, but I think does this team really need it in the light of the last couple of weeks and how tough those losses have been.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I think it's coming out a good time for us, you know, just refresh our minds, refresh our bodies, and come back ready to go for the wrong Hull.
Speaker 8: Appreciate your thank you.
Speaker 2: Oron Burks after the game and Dave, we were talking about Ted Carris and his veteran presence and voice, and Oron Burks has been there, done that, He's been through winning times with the Philadelphia Eagles. He's a guy who embraces special teams. He can give you snaps on defense. He's another kind of like we talked about Sama J. P Ry just being a guy who may not be a star, but he's a guy that every roster needs if if they're going to get things done, and he can do.
Speaker 3: That absolutely, a guy that's versatile. Yeah, you know, can can do everything. Play the linebacker position for you do play the run, come Downhill's big enough to to stuff the running game and and uh come downhill defeat blockers. Uh shed those blockers and get off of them, and and and make plays. But he's also athletic enough with quick feet. Uh can move laterally well, can play zone or a man in your in past coverages. So you know, Al Golden loves the guy, and Darren Simmons does as well. Darren Simmons he was he was all fired up. I mean it was fun to see Darren out there running out in the field high five and shaking hands with guys even before they you know, were totally off off the football field. There were some things that drove nuts as well. He was pulling his hair out by the by the roots. Got some bald coaches today in their coaches room up there in the shower, but I mean it is, uh. Aaron Buroks is a coach's dream. He's one of those guys that just does his job and is quiet about it, doesn't raise you know, he does not try to draw try to draw attention to himself, like look at me, I'm the man, I'm the guy. Total team player.
Speaker 2: Yesterday from the special team side of things, two hundred and ninety seven yards and kickoff return yards of course, helped by Charlie Jones going ninety nine, but p Ryan had a thirty nine yard kick return, Brooks had a thirty one yard kick return. And how about the recover the on side kick Dave? Going into yesterday, there had been fifty on side kick attempts this season and they're much harder because you have to declare and the rules have changed. But only three of fifty six percent of on side kicks had been recovered and the Bengals get one yesterday.
Speaker 3: That's big. That's big. That's uh. That's Darren Simmons at his finest right there, and it is I mean, talk to him about it. With the new the new formations that you have to get into for kickoff returns, and it's all all for player safety. It's all with right intentions in mind. But I wonder if this offseason or an offseason shortly thereafter, there is not some kind of movement by special teams, coaches and maybe organizations as a whole to go back to the old way of doing things, because I mean, when when Charlie Jones was returning that kickoff, man, I was jacked up, man, you know, I mean the old the old blood was pumping. You could feel the blood pressure raising, you know, as as was going on. There's nothing like that type of excitement. That's why people pay big dollars, top dollar to go to NFL games to be entertained like that. Boy.
Speaker 2: And back to that point of the on site kick if only six percent, if you're if you're if you have a rule and you're doing something that is only successful six percent of the time, to me, that scream something has to change. It's got to be it's gotta be more productive than six percent of the I'm not saying crazy like fifty percent of on site kicker recovered, but something better than six Otherwise, what's the use?
Speaker 3: Why why would you even try it? You know, it's like, you know, kick the ball deep and let your defense hopefully you can they can rise up and get a three and out and get the ball back that way. So it's going to be interesting to monitor and I see how that all tracks down heading down the stretch. Final segment in this hour. That a full third hour to go tonight, hang with us. Thanks for tagging along on Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network at ESPN fifteen thirty, Cincinnati Sports Station, putting the raps on our second hour of three tonight on Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty and Woday Nation. It's time to recognize our high school coaches and man, they do a good job getting guys groomed and ready for the National Football League. High school football in the city of Cincinnati is phenomenal. It is played at an extremely high level. Nominate your coach for the Bengals Coach of the Week presented by pay Corps Bengals dot Com Slash Coach of the Week Dave.
Speaker 2: Final thought. In this hour, we'll get into our third hour with more of Zach and Joe Flacco and some other things. The trade deadline is tomorrow. Interesting situation because on one hand, you want to you certainly want to do what you can when you can to help your team, but you have to weigh what you're going to give up, what you're going to get where you are in the standings. It's just it's a line you have to walk as an organization. Heading in it tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Right in the Bengals, Mike Brown values draft picks like Paul Paul always did, and Mike has the same mindset, the same mentality to the game of football. So they're not going to be irresponsible in terms of throwing draft picks around at the trade deadline. But it's going to be interesting, you know. Obviously, the biggest name that people are wondering about is Trey Hendrickson. You know, there's all kinds of social media. Trey Hendrickson wants to be traded, He's asked to be traded, He's gone, Trey Henderson, Where's he going to go? Oh? You know, they're talking about the Indianapolis Colts and what an acquisition that would be in reunite him with Lou and Rumo, the guy that you know was his coach when he had his big sack years back. To back seventeen and a half seasons, but I just don't think. I'm not sure they do anything. I'm not sure Trey Henderson goes anywhere. I think he may at the end of the season when the season's over, but I think he finishes this year out as a Bengal.
Speaker 2: We've put two in the books. Hang with us, we unfold the third hour. Up next Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station.
Speaker 1: This is Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network. Pay Corps. Pay Corp is proud to be the official HR software provider of US Cincinnati Bengals, Kettering Health Best Care for the Best Fans, Kettering ELF official healthcare provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back into Bengals Line on this Monday night, our third and final hour. Thanks for being with us. We have walked and talked our way through yesterday forty seven forty two, a lost to the Bears. Look ahead to what is up ahead for this team, and get into a couple of for things in this hour and always time to get into a car, Dave lap I'm.
Speaker 9: Time to do it.
Speaker 3: Lance and Alti Fiber the official Wi Fi and ended up providing with the Bengals and Greater Cincinnati's fastest Internet was up to two gig symmetrical speeds. Boy, two gig symmetrical speeds. I wonder what that means.
Speaker 2: That's really good speedy. Yes, it's really good speedy and really fast and impressive. That's the extent of my explanation of it. Just get it and you'll be happy with Let's go there, you go. Let's let's go back to yesterday. Get more thoughts from the coach, Zach Taylor on what transpired. Here's Zach Taylor.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just I can't I can't believe it. I can't believe it.
Speaker 5: Getings right there, and then we just we don't find a way to get it done and win again. We just got to make one play, just one play, and some of these losses turned to the wins, and so again we just gotta coaches with just the this week, finding a way, finding a way to help everybody and get it done.
Speaker 6: Because this is it's sick. It's sick to lose like that. It's sick. That's what happened.
Speaker 5: So we got to own it, and we got to keep finding ways to improve and and keep finding ways to find a win.
Speaker 6: The last two weeks it hasn't happened. Surprise, rustrated and whatever.
Speaker 5: Well, we we got to find a way to get them fixed. We are I mean, we're like crazy, what We're trying to do everything we can to get it done. And and so again that's so it's not because of a lack of work, lack of effort, lack of trying to cover every single stone to get it done. But but it's it is tough. This has just been the result that we're dealing with.
Speaker 6: Is there anything missing?
Speaker 5: We just got to find a way to make a play, get off field. I mean, it's it's no turnovers today, you know. And this is a team that's you know, they're going to finish plus two in the turno battle today, Chicago is and that's where all the wins have come from. And so you lose the game by five points. They're plus two in the turnovers, they've been plus three, but they've been plus four, they've been plus three a lot of their wins and so kind of more of the same for that.
Speaker 6: Exactly's a tough plus three today. I guess what they were.
Speaker 19: Probably tough game to play at a nine yard line there were you're thinking about possibly trying to force them into the final time out.
Speaker 5: We ran the ball, I mean that's what we did on the first player ran the ball. So you get cute and you forced them to do that, and then you have no points and then the game's over. So we should trust our guys to get out there and make a play. And and uh, that's that's just the way it goes.
Speaker 14: Is it as simple as bringing Colston down after he makes that catch? There just someone tackling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, get him on the ground, force him into a tough field goal, you know, at that point once the play has been completed, make him execute man again. We just didn't get him on the ground, score a touchdown. I mean in the Houston game a couple of years ago, were very similar. We were right there a couple of years ago. So it's just it's that's a tough one the stomach, but it's the result is the result.
Speaker 6: And and so again I feel sick right now.
Speaker 5: But all we can do is pick ourselves up and keep fighting and That's the beauty of being in this profession and being this locker room is is we see what we're made of.
Speaker 6: We're going to keep fighting.
Speaker 5: We we know it was gonna be pretty loud noise out there, criticism, It's deserved when when we're the record we are and the results we've had. We're gonna keep showing our character and keep fighting and find a way to lead these guys and find a way to to make some plays and get some wins and and keep this season alive.
Speaker 6: That's what we're gonna do. Be fixed.
Speaker 5: We're going to find a way. We're going to do everything we can to find a way. I think it's impossible for me to say yes or no. We've been trying everything we can, so we'll just keep working at it.
Speaker 17: Four thirty eight points last week, forty two yeah this week.
Speaker 3: Most would say in the NFL, that's more than enough points to win a game.
Speaker 17: How do you manage the locker room and not having the offensive players feel any sort of reasons?
Speaker 6: We fight like hell every single day to maintain the culture.
Speaker 3: We have.
Speaker 5: Fight every single day. Talk to everybody I can possibly talk to. We're fighting, and these guys if you've watched them practice, they're they're like hell, working working like crazy in practice.
Speaker 6: And so again, we just.
Speaker 5: Got to get someone in, got to get a play, someone builds off that play, and and we we find a way to get some momentum defense and and just haven't found a way to do that lately.
Speaker 3: Coming into the season.
Speaker 16: There's a lot of talk on defense potentially be better through nine games.
Speaker 6: Why do you think that hasn't been serio, you just got to find a way. You know, we're we're we're working hard at it.
Speaker 5: And and I know that's a that's a hard thing to listen to me say over and over.
Speaker 6: That's the answer there.
Speaker 5: There's not a magic formula that we're just gonna we do it if we if we could, and so we're just gonna keep finding ways. We got the bye week, we've got to keep working through it. See if there's something we're missing, See if there's something we can we can enhance, We'll work at it.
Speaker 16: Joe Flacco plays through the injury, has the performance he does, and you know that to go to waste essentially, how.
Speaker 5: And there's a lot of great performances day. What Joe Flacco did for us this week. You'll never forget, you know, and and I mean just knowing what our quarterback room is working through right now, what Joe Burrow is doing too, and Joe Flacco and with Jake's all the things he's done, it's a really mentally tough room that leads by example.
Speaker 6: Joe Flacco got the opportunity to show that this week. That's him.
Speaker 5: Joe Burrow working like crazy behind the scenes to do everything he can to help our team.
Speaker 6: Flacco, I mean he couldn't.
Speaker 5: He could barely lift his arm this week, you know, and he's blown to go put himself out there for a bunch of teammates that he's been with for three weeks.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: He's a football player, That's what he's out of here and said, he said, I play football for a living.
Speaker 6: That's what I do.
Speaker 5: And and oftentimes you need that throughout the locker room. Guys they are just football players and they remember that and they'll go out there and do whatever it takes to help their team win a game, no matter what normack of the circumstances.
Speaker 6: Got a bye week next week, get a chance to get rested up.
Speaker 5: That's how Joe Flacco looks at it, and so he went out there and put himself on the line. I'm sure he's gonna be in a ton of pain tomorrow, and we'll give him ten days off and we'll see if you can come back and do it again.
Speaker 1: A terrific game, But what happened on that intentional then down kind of look.
Speaker 6: Like we're missing. Yeah, we were checking to play and did everybody get it?
Speaker 4: The field goal was after after that the decision was.
Speaker 5: Out of It's a tough decision. It's a tough decision. You know, you're it's tough. You know whether that was the right thing to do or not. I'll have to reflect on that. It's a split second decision because now now you know you're in your head, you're thinking fourth and three or less potentially, and so then you've got to shift very fast to the decision to kick the field goal and okay, now you're down four and hope to get another possession to stop and go in the game. So it was tricky that that was decision we made obviously didn't work out, and and I'll have to digest if if I made the right one there. I'm going to keep fighting. The coach you're going to keep fighting. I know these players have shown that they're going to keep fighting. It's frustrating for everybody to put in the work that's being put in, and this is the result we've had. It's it's frustrating. And and uh, you know, sometimes you got to take a deep breath and then then come back to work and try to uplift others. That that's I faced a lot of diversity here. Uh, and and the only thing I know how to do is keep trying to lift people up. That doesn't mean we run from corrections, that doesn't mean we don't give criticism. But at the same time, the easy thing to do is question everything and point fingers and and and uh be negative and and be an energy vampire in a lot of ways. And I think we got enough guys that just want to continue to lift people up and fin answers, find solutions, help where they can make myself better, make the person next to me better. And that's that's all I know how to do. That's how we built the coaching staff that does that too. We built a locker room full of leaders and great men that are that are following suit there. And that's what I've seen from them, and that's just what we're going to continue to do. And I don't have something I can say that's going to say we we we're just going to fix this and things are going to be better.
Speaker 6: It's not that simple.
Speaker 5: I wish it was, but I can promise you we're gonna find, like kel to to keep keep finding when's here and get the season turned around.
Speaker 14: Like the tackling issues, especially when.
Speaker 6: We work quite crazy at it.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's always seemed to talk about and work on, and we have to improve.
Speaker 17: After loss, like especially these last two.
Speaker 5: Do you now going into the buy are you looking at all personnel for trades, for switches in house?
Speaker 6: I keep working with the players we got. That's that's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 5: We're gonna keep finding solutions with the guys we have, and if something else comes at us, so be it.
Speaker 6: But that's.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna work with the players we got in here, and we're gonna keep finding solutions to what's going on right now.
Speaker 6: Be tough here at home.
Speaker 14: Really, going back to the start of last year, does that add just a little more frustration to this whole thing?
Speaker 4: Big picture, just how tough. It's been to win here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's frustrating.
Speaker 5: I mean, you use our fans, they show up for us, and you got to give them something.
Speaker 6: You got to give them something.
Speaker 2: Zach Taylor after the game yesterday and now as they hit the bye week, we've talked about the precarious situation and they're in and if you're a he this is a challenge for Zach because you've got eight games left. It's it's one thing if you're down on the stretching, you got a game just to finish out the season. There's eight games left. This is not certainly a throw in the towel point of the season. This is salvage this thing season and this is a very delicate situation they're in right now.
Speaker 3: It is it is. It's an important eight games for the football future. Zach Taylor, y you know, I mean and his coaching staff. I mean, I think now Zach will find out what players think about him as a head football coach, because now they're backs up against the wall, and how they're gonna respond. They're gonna come out swinging. Are they just gonna say, you know it's over, We're done. Whatever happens happens. Let the organization do what they need to do. Maybe we need a change. Who knows, Maybe that's the best thing that could possibly happen. But I do know that Joe Burrow thinks the world is Zach Taylor. And Joe Burrow carries a lot of weight. And Mike Brown has always liked offensive minded coaches like a Bill Walsh, So he has a lot of respect for the football intellect and IQ of Zach Taylor as well. And Zach's a hell of a football coach. I mean, the guy, grinds man. He puts in the time. He is a grinder. He loves the game, understands the game. It's a football family. His brother Press was the pass game coordinator in yesterday's football game. You know they grew up playing football against each other, being very competitive. I mean, it's it's it's a way of life for the Taylor family. There's no question.
Speaker 2: Let's take a time out and continue. We'll get more from Joe Flacco on yesterday's game and what is ahead for this team through his eyes, He's Dave Lapham. I'm alliance, but cantlister Bengals One and the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station, building along on this Monday night at Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network in ESPN fifteen to thirty Lianes. But cauntlister Dave Lapham, let's get more to Joe Flaho's performance yesterday, and Dave amazing to think it was his one hundred and ninety ninth career start yesterday, and it was the first time he'd thrown for four hundred yards in a game. What a What a What an afternoon? What a performance? When you throw for force, you'd never thrown for four hundred he throws for four seventy yesterday. And as we said earlier, all things considered, it's kind of hard to believe he did what he did.
Speaker 3: It really is. I Mean, all I can say is they got to keep Joe Flacco after this year. I know he's signed a one year deal, yes, but when Joel Barrow is healthy and back as the Bengals starting quarterback, and that's what's gonna happen. You know, Joe Flacco will you know, bow out and Joe Borrow will assume the duties and enrolled of the starting quarterback for the Cincinnati Bengals, But Joe Flacco, who's got a better number two than that in the National Football League. I mean, that's a heck of a one two punch. That's a heck of a of a of a dual at the quarterback position in the National Football League. And one of them's got eighteen years experience and is over forty years old, and the other one is a guy that is an MVP candidate, in my mind, the best in the National Football League. So to have those two guys putting their heads together on a weekly basis and making contributions to game planning, I'm sure Zach Tayler would be very open to. Hey, Zach, I really like that concept. I'm not too keen on that one, but that one's really good. I don't think there'd be a problem with that. I don't think Zach's that you go, you know, artistical. I think he's I think he's you know, down to earth in that regard. And Dan Pitcher as well. So I think there's a lot of good years ahead at the quarterback position with the two Joes.
Speaker 2: Here is more from Joe on his day and the afternoon as a whole.
Speaker 19: Joe Flacco from our perspective, understanding that it's emotional after a loss like that, But it looks like some of the offensive players are gaining some tension towards the deepens.
Speaker 4: I know you talked about it a little bit like that.
Speaker 6: But what do you do as a veteran?
Speaker 7: Well, I just be the same person every day, uh, and don't get frustrated from that. And I go to those guys just like you do. And you don't necessarily have to talk about that specifically, but you just have good conversations with guys about, you know, doing good things and going to work and.
Speaker 4: Taking pride in what you do. And I think when you do.
Speaker 7: Those things then you're not just then then you don't have time to get mad at people that you can't You shouldn't be getting.
Speaker 4: Mad at you know, we got enough to worry about.
Speaker 7: Every one of us have enough to worry about on our own plates that you can't be worrying about everybody else, because then all of a sudden, once again, it's going to be a tough eight weeks for us if we're worrying about what other people are doing. I know, team is one, it's one team. In order to have that one team, you need to.
Speaker 4: Focus on yourself and do your job. And I get I get it.
Speaker 7: It can get emotional, but you know there's times to be emotional.
Speaker 4: And and and show people that and.
Speaker 7: But usually when those times are good in good things and towards people you love. And I think if we're emotional, then we should come at it with an angle of this is my brother, as opposed to the opposite of that. I just think that's what good, hard working, tough people do.
Speaker 4: They don't look at other people.
Speaker 7: They look inward, and it doesn't matter what the situation is, they look inward.
Speaker 16: What was the connection with t so successful today?
Speaker 4: He's really good.
Speaker 7: I hate to be so simple and have such a bad answer, but I mean, did you see the catch you make? Let that go route for the first touchdown? I think it was the first touchdown was incredible. I mean I was laughing. It was just stupid. It was it was crazy, and I think everybody kind of realized it. It was just I mean, I kind of I had one on one with them. I don't really know if I should have thrown it up or just come down, but I'm like, it's.
Speaker 4: One on one. I'll put one up there. And as I let it go. I was kind of I honestly.
Speaker 7: Was kind of like, ah, I don't know, and next thing, you know, was a touchdown.
Speaker 6: So were the last twenty four hours like we're getting.
Speaker 18: Prema get ready way.
Speaker 4: I think Thursday was like Thursday was the thing. Like, you know, once I went out there.
Speaker 7: And practiced on Thursday, I knew that I would be ready to play on Sunday. So then it was just kind of managing my shoulder throughout the week.
Speaker 4: And you know, I'm lucky.
Speaker 7: I've played a lot of games, so I didn't feel like I had to go out there and get a ton of practice reps. And I probably would have felt like that anyway, but thankfully the coaching staff also felt comfortable with me not you know, not getting a ton of practice reps. I think that's the biggest thing is it's going to be tough to practice, and as long as I know that I can get through Sundays, then I feel good about it.
Speaker 16: We'll get to talk to you again before y'all going by, what do you how, given how you can out sand and those pro social early.
Speaker 6: What do you kind of need to be able to do and need to feel about.
Speaker 3: Playing when you get back from the buy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well listen, I finished the game last week, I played this week. I mean, it's not even in my mind that I I you know, I wouldn't be able to do something like that. So now it's just about getting rest and getting as healthy as possible. And obviously this week is you know, we got two weeks before we play again, so that's that's hopefully that helps.
Speaker 4: Yeah, locked in, how important and how proud.
Speaker 2: Of are are you of those wide receivers and Chase Brown and those guys that caught that ball for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And extremely I mean I make sure I go to everybody in that locker room after after a game and just tell them how much I appreciate them.
Speaker 4: You know, my job is not possible.
Speaker 7: You know, Quarterbacks get so much publicity and credit for so many things, but you're really just out there dishing the ball around, and without the guys up front, first of all, you know, you can't do that. And without guys out there making spectacular plays and taking little catches and for touchdowns and all those things.
Speaker 4: You know they are.
Speaker 7: I mean that's why, like people always ask me, like, who'd you like when you were growing up? I mean, I always liked receivers and running backs because those are the guys that are out there like making the plays. And now that I've gotten to play, now you have a true, just a true appreciation for the guys up front. Like that's really where the game is won and lost.
Speaker 4: Is right there up front.
Speaker 7: So I just view myself as somebody that's lucky enough to kind of be the guy that gets to play with some of these guys. And so yeah, every time I get to play with these guys, I know what everybody's giving weekend and week out and laying it all out there, so you appreciate being with every single one of them.
Speaker 2: Dave one of the one quote I love from Joe Flacco, and he was asked about a stage in the season where maybe some friction starts or some cracks with the offense and defense and one team doing their job and the other maybe not doing it as well, and Joe Flacco said, you have to have good conversations with guys about going to work and taking pride in what you do. I think when you do those things, you don't have time to get mad at people that you shouldn't be getting mad at. Every one of US has enough to worry about on our own plates that you can't be worrying about everybody else. Team is one, it's one team. In order to have that one team, you need to focus on yourself and do your job. I just think that's what's good, hard working and tough people do. That is a very powerful statement from a very wise individual.
Speaker 3: If I'm Joe Flacco's parents, I'm listening to that and I'm going, yep, I raise my kid, right. I mean, he understands, he understands what it takes. Not just football. I wish, you know, more people had that mindset, that attitude about their job and their work on a day to day basis. You know, yep, I mean the United States of America may even be more productive. It's a world power, but it might even be more productive. Joe is very very intelligent in conversations with him, not just from a football standpoint, but across the board. I mean, pick a subject, Joe Burrow has an opinion and and and can do some commentary on it.
Speaker 9: So I.
Speaker 3: I really I think he's been a big, big addition, not just the way he plays the game with that powerful throwing arm, but the way he handles himself the way he comports himself on the football field, in the locker room, out in the community. Uh, he's a He's definitely a big, big plus in the Bengals organization.
Speaker 2: Needed to take the time out when we come back, David I thought, well, we've got some time here in the final half hour. It would be only fitting if we talked about sadly the passing of our our dear friend Bob Trump and from a couple of different standpoints, Bob Trumpey the player and Bob Trumpy the broadcaster, in a couple of segments. Can we do that? As we can tell you is Dave Lapham. I'm Lance, but Cantlester. It's Bengals on in the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports station. Hey, we keep moving right along on this Monday night a Bengals line. We're on the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 3: And Lance and Bengals fans make sure to catch me and Dan Hoard every Wednesday this season for Bengals Game Plan presented by Bud Light on the air from six to eight pm on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 2: Dave the sad news yesterday, and it broke as the afternoon was beginning to unfold for Bengals football. Was the passing of Bengals legend, a broadcasting legend. I always called him the godfather of sports talk, Bob trump He sadly passing away at the age of eighty years old, friend of both of ours, teammate of yours, and meant the world to I think both of us. And I thought we could break up a couple of segments and talk about Trumpet the player in one segment, and Trumpet the broadcaster and the other. And just man in watching the highlights of him the football player, every time, I was struck by the same thing. Just his body is a tight end, and the wide shoulders and that gallop after catching the ball. I can't imagine what he was like for for a great cooker Ken Anderson to throw the football too, and the way he changed that offense with what he could do as a tight end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he was a generational player, he really was. He changed the game of football for the tight end position. I mean he is. I mean there have been great tight ends, you know John Mackie's and tight ends like that that have have definitely said changed the world in terms of how do you defend these guys They're so big and they're so fast and so athletical. Bob Trump, he was right there, right there with the greatest of all time. I think Bob Trump, he deserves to be, you know, honored in that in that same breath as a lot of those guys coat hanger shoulders. You talked about the broad shoulders. I mean, I'm not kidding. I looked at that dude and I'm like, Holy macro, look at how wide that dude's shoulders are. Man, And the Good Lord blessed him. The Good Lord reached down and you know, tapped him on the head and said, this is this is the way you're going to be built, you know. And he was trim wasted, you know, and and long legs, and he could run I'd say sub four five four or five worst case scenario low four fives and and many they'd isolate him with that size speed ratio. He had one of the greatest size speed ratios I think I've ever seen. And as long as I played football, he was in the top three, if not the best, in terms of size speed ratio. Long legs, long arms, you know, soft hand, caught the football very very effortlessly, and very intelligent. You know, ran tremendous routes. He'd read coverages, Bill Walsh a lot. He wanted a quarterback and and tight end and receivers to be on the same page as the quarterback on pre snap looks of coverages. And Bob Trump he was as good as there was in that area. And that trans related to his career as a broadcaster. There's nothing that Bob Trump he didn't see, you know. I mean, he was very astute and understood the game of football as well as anybody ever.
Speaker 2: Did well in speaking of seeing things, we marvel about Paul Brown's eye for talent. We talked about Lamar Parrish last week, taking him out of a small school. But Bob started that Illinois, wound up at Utah, was a twelfth round pick out of Utah. But when Paul and Bill Walsh and Tiger Johnson got a hold of him, and what I mean, he in nineteen sixty nine, I don't know if people fully comprehend and appreciate this. In nineteen sixty nine, Bob Trumpy averaged twenty two point six yards a catch. That's twenty two point six yards of catches a tight end. For his career, he averaged fifteen point four yards of catch. That's incredible.
Speaker 3: It is it is. I mean that's better than wide receivers of his era in terms of stretching the football field. And Paul Brown very wise, man, you know. I mean he saw Bob Trumpy when they went to scout him, and Mike was involved with that decision making process as well. They went out to Utah. He was a good play He was a star player on the basketball team at Utah and one of the leading rebounders. Could score, I mean, played Bengal basketball, you know where you go around in the office storming games. Yeah, and go play faculty, you know, members of schools for fundraisers and everything. And Trump could play. Man. He was physical, He played hard. He was a really good basketball player, and it translated to his game on the football field as a tight end. I mean, he was he was a prototype. He teams were looking for the next Bob Trumpy and that was the way it was for a number of years.
Speaker 2: And I thought Kenny Anderson put it perfectly this morning. He tweeted, simply, Bob Trumpy was Gronk before Gronk, and I thought that was wow. That is very well said, putting into context what his skills were. For people today who think of Rob Gronkowski, that was Bob Trumpy.
Speaker 3: Agreed, agreed, And you know, everybody looks at Gronk and like, you know, he's a little Dodo bird A. Gronk has got tremendous football IQ. Tom Brady will talk about it, how smart Gronk is and the adjustments to Gronk would suggest to Bill Belichick and to Tom Brady. Trumpy was the same way Trump. He had come off the field and say to Kenny Anderson and you know, and Paul Brown and Bill Walsh's look, they're doing this. I think if we put me in motion and change the strength of the formation, You're not gonna adapt quickly enough. I'm gonna get off the line of scrimmage, of free release. I'm gonna hurt people down the football field. And they agree, we'd do it. And Trump knew what he was talking about. Man, there'd always be a big play.
Speaker 2: Let's take a time out of come back. Let's talk about Bob Trumpy, the broadcaster from NBC to Sports Talk at all that came with it. Holy cow man. I don't know if we have enough time to cover everything he did. From a broadcasting side, boyd we'll get into it next. He's Dave Lappam my alliance, Bacalister. It's Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network at ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station. Welcome back to Bengals Line. And on Monday night it's on the Bengals Radio Network. It's on ESPN fifteen thirty. I'm Lance but Calischer hanging out with Dave Leapham.
Speaker 3: Yes, Sir Lanceon, really enjoying hanging out with my man, Lance mccowiston. On Friday nights, Bengals Stripes Tour presented by a how Kat is back for all locations this season. Go to Bengals dot com slash community.
Speaker 2: We continue remembering Bob Trump, he who sadly passed away yesterday, and from a broadcasting standpoint, I always called him, with great reverence, the godfather of sports talk because he he created it. I'll never forget a conversation I had with him where he had heard Bill Russell doing sports talk radio in LA in Boston and thought, man, would it work here could I do it here? And from that grew the sports talk and just his his presence on the radio and that voice there was just there was no one like him, there's been There was no one like him before, There's been no one like him since. He just had a command. When you tuned into him, it just felt and sounded big, like he had control of everything. And as I always say, as a kid in an era where there were no podcast or anything, if you wanted the gospel of sports talk, what was going on in Cincinnati, you turned on your radio at six o'clock and you just waited for Bob Trumpy to say something. And you knew if you wanted to know how to feel about something or what the reaction was to something, you turned and said, what does Bob have to say? And Bob made sure that you knew he was right, I mean all the time about whatever.
Speaker 3: He was true.
Speaker 2: But that was part of the charm of Bob Trumpy. You had your opinion and you were wrong. He had hit his opinion and he was right. But it was just when he said it, there was just something to it, magical and powerful to it.
Speaker 3: That's a great way to put it. Last, I mean you know, you were around Trump for a lot of years. You know him as well as anyone. I when I heard him talk when I got drafted and came into the the locker room for basically mini camp is what it was back in the day in the in the mid seventies. I heard this voice and I tried, that's the voice of God. What what is going on? Am I in football Heaven? What is the voice of God doing here in the city of Cincinnati? And uh? And it was Bob Trumpy And this guy, like you said, Lance, for years and years the he covered the big events, the Olympics, super Bowls, you know, Trump, he had all that on his resume. I mean for a guy.
Speaker 2: Super Bowls, yeah, three Olympics, crazy, three Ryder Cups.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, come on, now we're talking horse racing. Trump. He but he could make anything exciting with that voice, you know, and he and he'd raised it, he'd uh. He had tremendous cadence and voice inflection, you know, and he knew how to naturally, knew how to handle all of that. He was something special. There's no question. I mean, the broadcast world lost a legend. And I'm serious. He should be there should be an award given to NFL broadcasters on NBC, CBS, Fox, whatever, the Bob Trump Award, you know, for the best analyst played by play guys aren't eligible, sorry, but for the best analyst of the year, and it would be an annual thing, the Bob Trump Award. Now, I'll I'll go to the grave trying to get that done.
Speaker 2: He man, when when you tuned into NBC and it was the NFL with him, or whether it was Don Krickey or Dick Enberg or Charlie Jones, just just the way in and he had you know, clearly he had his thoughts on former players versus media, and what meat he knew versus what a former player. He put so much effort into his analysis. It wasn't he had strong opinions, but it was always backed by something he worked on the preparation for the broadcast. That's what I had such an appreciation for. It was strong and it was powerful, but it was backed by his experience and what he put into a broadcast.
Speaker 3: Right on Lance. And I talked to many assistant coaches over the years that said, man, Trump wore me out. All he would do. I need another tape, need another game. I think I feel pretty good about it. But you know, I just I just want to confirm a couple of things. I just want to make sure I'm right on a couple of things that you guys do for masonally and why you do it, and and the production meetings. Coaches loved going to production meetings with you know, Krickie or Edinburgh and Bob Trumpy because they knew that he was prepared, they knew he had done that, they knew he'd done his homework before showing up. And instead of like, hey, give me something I can use in the game, you know, do my job for me. Trumpy was never about that. It was like, hey, I'm a big boy, I'm getting paid handsomely. I can do this for myself.
Speaker 2: And he said an example he especially here and with this franchise. He I would think the the pioneer aspect of former player into broadcasting in doors and opportunities opened that. I mean, think about it. You and Chris Collinsworth and Salmon, Willcotts and Boomeri Siasen and Sam Weish to David Pollock, to others, Tequio Spikes, Andre Andrew Hawkins, so many former Bengals came through playing into broadcasting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very true. And you know it was like, hey, man, if Trump can do it. He was a trailblazer. He was the Daniel Boone. You know, he was the guy that paved the way for everybody else to get an opportunity. And uh, and you wanted to do well because you knew Trumpy had done extraordinarily. Well, I'll tell you what he made. He left his mark, There's no question about that. And it was a it was a very very positive mark on the game of football as a player and as a as a broadcaster. And he was more than solid at both. I mean Hall of Fame. Uh, borderline efforts in both.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you what when when he came to sports talk and it's I've talked about it all the time. I grew up listening to him. I call him once a week. I'd arguing with him as a as a young kid. He'd hang up on me. We got a new an argument up Buddy Bell and Wayne Crenchickey one time, and I'm thinking him arguing Wayne Crenchikey and Buddy Bell with Bob Trumpia. I called him from a vague family vacation. One time I was like fourteen years old. I called from Cape Cod. Oh, They'll never forget him saying, why are you calling from Cape Cod? I want to talk about the Reds. But and when when I had a chance to to then work with him and do the Friday Bengals pep rally and we did a roundtable show walk here on Thursday nights with him. But I used to always marvel. He would boy, we butted heads and clash it and I'd say something and he'd look at me and peer at me over those glasses and he'd say, you've clearly never played the game before. I would just know how to get going. And I always had a way. I'd learned certain things that would push his buttons. And I'd say, like on a daylight today, where I'd want a statement made by the organization, they need to do something. They need to make statement. And he looked at me and say statement, and he do that big booming laugh. You and your statements, You just always want to make statements. I was like, that was such Bob Trump. I used to drive him nuts with that. He drive me nuts with things.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you he was he was great with if he was on the losing end or realized he was, it was going downhill for him. From an argument standpoint. You never played the game, That's what That was his catch all. You know, that was the that was the saving the savingology right there. Have you played the game? You never played the game. And he got that from Paul Brown. He heard Paul Brown say that many times to people in the media. You think you know everything about football, son, you've never played the game.
Speaker 2: And the beauty and the and the power of Trump. Only Bob Trumpy could one call up Bob Knight and say, yeah, let's come on you, hey, come on Sports Talk. I spend an hour with Bob Knight on Sports Talk and side they were gonna blow out all the commercials. Play none of the commercials because I'm going to keep the General for the entire hour. Only Bob Trump he would have the power to say, I'm talking with the General for an hour and just I'm sure Doug Kidd or whoever was like, you know, break take time out, and just kept talking, kept talking, kept talking. No commercials figured out later, I've got the general lie and then.
Speaker 3: The guys would have to figure it out later. The sales managers and to make good commercials, you know. And man, what kind of damage would Trump do this week?
Speaker 18: You know?
Speaker 2: Or remember he would he would make the hot fudge Sunday bets with callers and then pay it off at the UDF down below and Mount Adams across the street. Absolutely, I will never forget the year in the NCAA tournament, he swore up and down that Houston would never lose to North Carolina State. He said, North Carolina State shouldn't even get on the bus and go to the game because Houston's gonna beat him in North Carolina State wins. And he had to pay off so many bets for that, and it was just he was one of a kind. He was absolutely one of a kind.
Speaker 3: Broke them all, There's no question about it. And my heart goes out to Pat the sons because and Jason, they lost, They lost a husband, father, great man, I'm telling you, and and literally literally Lance, I feel like this guy, tremendous player, tremendous broadcasters, should be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, And a final thought, just from my standpoint, and he is. He's remembered as somebody who could be gruff and rough, and they had that booming voice. But to me and the defining moment of the relationship I had with Bob Trump, he had nothing to do with a show. When when my son Casey was diagnosed with leukemia, Bob Trumpy was the very first phone call I got. That's amazing and said whatever you need, whenever you needed and said I will be a bone marrow donor if you need one, and I will. I will never forget that moment in my life and what it meant to our face and that to me, For all the tales I can tell of Bob Trumpy, that is the one that means the most of it, and that's him.
Speaker 9: Do a tea.
Speaker 3: When I think, when I think of Bob Trumpy on his obituary, it should say football and family. Yep, that's what he was about. He was about football, playing the game, and about his football family, and then also about his football family, you know, off the football field, his true family, his wife, Pat, his sons and everything we already talked about. He was unique. One on one. They broke the mold man.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. We'll take our final time out, come back, wrap things up. Bengals line on the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station. Ut down the stretch, we go about to put the Rats on another Monday night of Bengals line on the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 3: And Lance Paikur is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: Right, we wrap it up the bye next week, no show next week, and man, I go back to what we said off the top, Imagine the difference had they had they won yesterday in dramatic fashion, two touchdowns in the final forty nine minutes, get the wind pulled a four and five, You get to hit the buy and relax on that joy and belief that you've created with the win. And now you gotta sit on yesterday's loss. You got the trade deadline coming up. There's uncertainty in so many places right, Just such a change in emotions after yesterday.
Speaker 3: Man, you know, it's like you go into a into a bye week and there's a cloud hanging over your head following you into that bye week. You know, it's like it could have been a sunny sunny time, could have been joined the beach. You know, go lay out layout on the beach during the bye week literally but not to be so. Now you've got to figure out a way to turn the worm. And it's going to turn quickly because, quite honestly, on a week by week basis, these games melt away. You're the sand runs out of the uh, out of the whatever. The class there, thank you, sir, the hour glass and and you're running out of time and it's it's a you can't panic. You got to make sure you take care of business and you and you do it the right way, but you got to do it quickly.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't get any easier.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 2: You got Steelers still. Hey, you got the Patriots, who are better than everybody, but you got the Ravens twice. You got Buffalo, oh man.
Speaker 3: And not just great players, but the coaches. I mean, think of the coaches, the head coaches and the coaching staffs on those on those football teams. You know, you got Tom and you have Rabel, I mean, you get you got guys that are hard nosed, get after a type of football people. You know, they were players themselves and uh and then when they were done playing, wanted to commit their rest of their lives to to the coaching profession and their working lives. So I'll tell you what not gonna be an easy task, But that's life from the National Football League. Man. If you're not ready to accept the challenge, you shouldn't be here, you know.
Speaker 2: Final thought, As you were mentioning the sand and searching for the word, I flashed, of all things to the soap opera. What's the soap opera with the hour glass? Is the days of our lives?
Speaker 3: World turns?
Speaker 2: What are those two look at me? Going to soap operas to come up with the words. I just remember the open of that soap opera was like like sand through the hour the sand of our lives through the hour glass or whatever that line was from the soap opera. And we're officially done.
Speaker 3: And totally done.
Speaker 2: He's Dave Blapam lights Bacallister. It's Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports station.
Speaker 1: This was Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network. Pay Corps. Pay Corp is proud to be the official HR software provider of US Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 4: Ulti Viper.
Speaker 1: Ulti Viper the official Wi Fi and Internet provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the fest Bengals coverage.
Speaker 18: This is fifteen thirty W c KWin, the fifty thousand watt orange and black home of the Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnatis.
Speaker 1: He has blent fifteen thirty