Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Vasse for Dodger Talker Dodger Talk David Vasse taking you to eight o'clock and we are joined right now by a guy that we got to know for a bit before he had to have Tommy John surgery. But in the short time fans got to see River Ryan pitch. They loved it. And if you get to know this young man, you'll love him even more. Easy got to root for and he's going to be ready for the Dodgers attempt at a three peat in twenty twenty six. And River Ryan joins us. River thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I kind of tipped you off to which teammates kind of told me that you looked not like your old self, but a new, improved River Ryan. The last month or so of last year. What did you take away from the end of your season, even though you didn't pitch in a minor league game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, during the entire rehab process, it was I was really just trying to refine some things as far as mechanics go on the mound.
Speaker 2: And really just be.
Speaker 3: Able to try to repeat my delivery going into twenty twenty six, I also was able to add a new pitch to the arsenal, So now I think we have seven.
Speaker 2: We've got seven pitches now.
Speaker 3: Wow, So it's uh, yeah, I'm really excited to be able to get back out there in showcase what I can do.
Speaker 1: When did you come up with this new pitch? Were you thinking about it as you were rehabbing the elbow or is it something when you, you know, were allowed to let it rip that you decided to experiment with.
Speaker 3: Well, actually, at the end of twenty twenty four, I kind of was throwing throwing, I was throwing some sliders and catch play and I accidentally kind of like, I don't even know how to describe it how I figured it out. It just kind of came out a different way, and I was like, that's interesting. So I tried to just remember how I held the ball that time, and I actually figured it out. So yeah, we were working on it all year this year in rehab and continuing to work on it through this offseason, and I'm ready to showcase it in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be a very effective pitch.
Speaker 1: Can you describe the feeling when you throw a pitch like that that you weren't intending to and you see what it does and how good it feels coming out of your hand. Was that an AHA moment or was it like, oh, I found something. Can you describe what it felt like?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think it was more of just like I was caught off guard by it, Like I didn't know that I could make the ball do that. So I just kind of just tried to do some research on path out of myself and see if it was going to be a good fit for the arsenal. And yeah, I think it's going to mesh really well with with the pitches that I offer. But yeah, it was definitely kind of just like a, well, I didn't know I could make the ball do that, so that's amazing.
Speaker 1: River Ryan is our guest, and River, when you say you have seven pitches, I remember when Rich Hill was with the Dodgers, he talked about shaping pitches and you may have one fastball, but you can shape it two or three different ways, or your curveball, you can shape it two or three different ways. When you say you have that type of arsenal, are you talking about shaping some of the same pitches differently, or do you have seven different pitch grips.
Speaker 3: No, I actually have seven different pitch grips. But I also along with adding a new pitch, I have been trying to manipulate some ways I throw different pitches so I can throw them like, for example, like a curveball.
Speaker 2: Like a U.
Speaker 3: Darvish slow curveball, or kind of just like a stock curveball and a strikeout curveball. So essentially one pitch can be three different pitches. But I'm still I mean, I'm still got a long way to go as far as learning learning how to pitch. It's only been a few years for me, but yeah, it's it's really cool to be able to do different things with the baseball when it's essentially like the same pitch, right, So that's also that's also being worked on, you know as we speak, and looking forward to showcase that in twenty twenty six as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people forget when the Dodgers treated for you, you were going between shortstop and just learning how to pitch. This has not been your entire life where you've kind of mastered pitching. Did this time off? I know, elbow surgery is never ideal. But did this time off provide you with the opportunity to maybe find yourself as a pitcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean when you have that kind of downtime, you you know you got to do something right. So I definitely really started to put some time and effort into learning how to pitch and what kind of pitches I can use in different situations, what kind of pitches I can use against different.
Speaker 2: Types of hitters. Yeah, it was. I was really just.
Speaker 3: Able to break down some stuff over this this this time I spent in rehab in Arizona and learn some different things about pitching that I'm excited to put to use.
Speaker 1: So when Kyle Hurd and some of your other teammates were telling me it's September, just how great you looked. Who were you facing? Was it like those innsquad games with other teams? Was it like real game type of scenarios? Can you describe what they were raving about?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I was just pitching, uh to some of the guys that were also in rehab with me that were, you know, just trying to get some reps, a couple of minor league a couple of minor league guys, and then towards the end of the year. I think my last live I was thrown against uh some of some of my old teammates and Triple A, like Ryan Ward, Justin Dean, just some yeah, some of those guys.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was it was just uh, it was.
Speaker 3: I ended the ended the rehab process on a really, really high note. So it's it's exciting for sure, River.
Speaker 1: Ryan is our guest. This is Dodger Talk until eight o'clock tonight on AM five seventy l A Sports. You mentioned a couple of guys that you know. Obviously a lot of Dodger fans have been eager to see Ryan Ward in particular. I don't know. I felt like I had a streak during last year, River where at least one person a day for two months straight either text me, called me, or in person asked me about Ryan Ward. How good is Ryan Ward? And are you excited to see him get an opportunity at the big league level this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely. Ryan Ward is a special ball player.
Speaker 3: He's been putting up some crazy numbers over the past few seasons, and I really hope that he's able to get an opportunity at the big league level. I think he'll I think he'll do some pretty good things and I'll have a pretty long career at the major league level.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm definitely a fan.
Speaker 3: Of Ryan Ward, and I'm excited for him to get an opportunity this year.
Speaker 1: All right. And in the World Series, Justin Dean got a lot of play late game defense in center field. What did you think about the play where the ball got stuck underneath the wall and Justin Dean's putting up his arms. Were you watching all of those plays and did you think when you saw that play with one of your minor league teammates and the guy you were, you know, getting ready to play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a pretty pretty high IQ moment if I'm remembering correctly, when he put his hands.
Speaker 2: Up to play the play was stopped.
Speaker 3: I can't, I honestly can't remember how it all went down, But like if.
Speaker 1: Finds you, right river amazing how.
Speaker 3: The ball fight had Yeah, it finds you for sure. But yeah, the fact that he kind of just had to wherewithal to throw his hands up immediately, whether the play stopped or not, that's just kind of a high IQ moment. But it's it's funny too, because I played against Justin Dean in college. He went to Lenor Ryan and I went to UNC Pembroke, and we my freshman year we matched up against each other. Actually didn't know that I played against him until talking with him this past spring training. But yeah, Justin Dean's always been been a very solid ballplayer. Defensively, if I remember correctly, he's been He's been a pretty good pretty good hitter too, as a good eye at the plate. But he's just extremely fast, can cover a lot of ground out there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no doubt. Hey, I got to ask you this, where were you watching Game six and seven of the World Series?
Speaker 3: My parents' house and my in law's house. We were kind of in the middle of visiting some some family members that we've been trying to visit. So and one was in Georgia, one was in North Carolina.
Speaker 1: So okay, so two key plays. Tell me what your thoughts were in the living room of your family's house when A Will Smith took his foot off home plate for a split second and then b when Pa has ran into keyk Hernandez. Do you remember what was going through your head when you saw those two plays?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely remember the collision kind of in the outfield more than I remember will Will almost coming off the bag, but uh yeah, thank thank the Lord that he was able to get the get the footback.
Speaker 2: On the bag.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that that play in center field was just I can only imagine how loud the stadium was trying to communicate. And you know, key K and pa Haes, they both want to make the play and they're going to go, you know, as hard as they can to make it happen. So fortunately they were able if pa Haes was able to you know, come out with the with the catch and nobody got seriously hurt. So yeah, that was a there was a hold your breath moment for sure. I think more of the more along the lines of injury injury perspective than actually catching the ball.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no doubt. I mean I love hearing where guys like you were watching and what you were feeling in those moments. And you're going to be a big part of the Dodgers trying to go for a three pet Do you have the vision of what the Dodgers and image Shehan did last year where you know they have the luxury of allowing you guys to you know, ramp up and be ready. Do you kind of feel like you're this year's Emitsan where they they deploy you in the second half when you're fully functional.
Speaker 3: Honestly, my whole mindset right now is trying to make the team out of camp. I think I think I'm more than healthy enough to have a full, healthy season. It's just going out there and proving that I am healthy and doing what I am capable of doing and try to do it effectively in spring training and hopefully make the squad out of out of camp. That'd be That'd be great. Love it.
Speaker 1: That's one thing. Listening to the River right now, it's the holiday time. He's with this family, it's the off season. Completely nice guy, but when it's go time, he has uh the edge that you need to be great. And I appreciate that about you, River, and I can't wait to see you in spring training. Merry Christmas to you and your family. I know you're somewhat of a newlywed. You got a great family that you're building. Things are looking great for you in twenty six and beyond. So thank you so much for the time and can't wait to see you in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much. Thank you for having me, and Merry.
Speaker 3: Christmas to you as well.
Speaker 2: Stay safe out there, okay.
Speaker 1: No doubt. Gotta keep your head on a swivel River, especially when you're on the streets of Ventura Boulevard. Baby, thanks a lot for the time, River, and we'll see you in AZ.
Speaker 2: All right, sounds good. I appreciate it. Take it easy,