Speaker 1: Anyway before we look at to look back at significant events and people tied to this particular date in history, including but not limited to these. This was the date that the Louisiana Purchase was completed, as that territory formally transferred from France to the United States. South Carolina became the first state to secede from the Union this date, in eighteen sixty the shots would be fired. Soon to follow. One of my top three favorite films of all time, the holiday classic It's a Wonderful Life, premiered on this day in nineteen forty six. At the Globe in New York City, the United States launched Operation Just Cause. A familiar scene with the news headlines today. The year was nineteen eighty nine, and this is when we sent troops in to Panama at a top of the government of Manuel Noriega. Sound familiar with Venezuela and Maduro. Let's see nineteen ninety five tragedy. American Airlines Flight nine sixty five from Miami to Cali, Colombia crashed into a mountain near Buga, Columbia at night while descending to the Cali area, killing all but four of the one hundred and sixty three on board and in twenty nineteen United States Space Force established by President Donald Trump. Let's see, oh yeah, more islamis terrorism. Sadly to remember just a year ago when the car slammed into a Christmas market in eastern Germany, killing six, entering more than two hundred. Rock drummer Peter Cris of Kiss Is eighty today, Dick Wolf, Law and Order seventy mentioned, Alan Parsons, Michael Batteluco the Actor seventy one, Chris Robinson of The Black Crow, still bouncing around at fifty nine. Actor Jonah Hill turns forty two. And if it's your birthday, Iope, it's the best birthday you could possibly imagine. And you get to spend that with the people you love, doing the things you love to do. That is truly my wish for you. It's five forty two and some change. Liam Tomlinson standing by as we get you. Going next with Weather in Sports on this Saturday morning to start this Saturday morning edition on seven hundred WLW not I the Internet of Things world is the world we live in. And this morning I became very distressed. Right at the beginning of the show. I tried to cover it up with music, and that's what I did basicly, but my computer wouldn't work. My mouse wouldn't work. I brought Liam in here. He couldn't get it to work properly either, So I can you read stuff on my computer and bring people up on the telephones? I need my mouse to work. I mean, Liam can do all of that. But yet I feel, because I am a control freak ultimately that I need to have total control of the show except things like answering the phones, which Liam does very well, and read the sports, which Liam is much more than adequate at at this point. But I couldn't get the mouse to work properly and in my room, and then I realized the mouse was upside down, so I just turned it the other way and now it works perfectly. Well, I'm a genius. Good morning, Lynnette.
Speaker 2: How perstal so bat.
Speaker 3: Studs now save inself for their proper it's taking.
Speaker 4: And is so felt.
Speaker 3: Serving stained off retal on underst.
Speaker 5: See set.
Speaker 2: Fast befare, oh.
Speaker 3: WoT frish cob oh oh hold.
Speaker 1: Ay man, Oh my gosh. I was a little concerned you weren't going to hit that last one, but you sure did, like a champ That is my favorite. That is my favorite Christmas hymn. Thank you so much much.
Speaker 4: God bless America, godless.
Speaker 1: That yell that you God bless you. Listen. What are you doing on Monday?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 7: I wanted to come and surprise you both, but with this cold stuff, I'm afraid.
Speaker 1: Well, I let's pray for healing so you can be here Monday. Really, I would love for you to be here. If you can't, I mean, if it's safe for you to travel, I would love to see you on Monday.
Speaker 7: If it's just worry about the Exodi. Well, see, I could eat when I get back.
Speaker 6: You fixed me up plate, and I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'm even going to have any food here.
Speaker 8: Oh you're not going to have any food?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: Probably probably. Maybe Dave can pick you up something on the way back to the home.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that would work.
Speaker 1: Oh all right, Lynette, Well let's let's kind of plan on it. Listen. I'm kind of rushed for time this morning. But I love you.
Speaker 10: I love you.
Speaker 1: Merry Christmas, and hopefully I will see you on my birthday on Monday here in the.
Speaker 7: Studio, Okay, out with God's willing great down Yes, right.
Speaker 1: All of that, all right, His will be done. Five point fifty four seven hundred WL do to the first official hour of this Saturday Morning edition for Saturday, December the twentieth, twenty twenty five. Garry Jeff Walker, Merry Christmas Seasons, Greetings, Happy holidays, and it's okay to say happy holidays if you remember that the root of the word holiday is holy, because this is a holy time of year. Praise the Lord, Baby Jesus coming to save us all from our sins. Six oh seven and Gary Jeff Walker back into the breach as they say, Oh, look who it is. It's our friend Dave from Harrison. That friend Dave. Good morning, friend, Dave.
Speaker 11: Take you more than their friend, Gary Jeff genius type guys.
Speaker 1: Hey, Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave, are you coming? Are you coming to my birthday party on Monday?
Speaker 10: Wouldn't miss it, sir.
Speaker 1: You know, Dave, I've often thought parallel lines have so much in common, and it's a shame they'll never meet.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, Hey, hey, Dave, Dave. I'm reading a book on anti gravity. It's impossible to put down. I ate I ate a clock yesterday. It was very time consuming.
Speaker 10: Hey, I have a guy who watch candy canes. Yeah, they're all in mint condition.
Speaker 1: Actually funny, actually funny, Dave. You know, hey, I hope that's not the best one, but it was actually funny.
Speaker 11: Okay, Well, what do you call an elf who just won the Queen of Hearts?
Speaker 1: What do you call an elephant that just won the Queen of Hearts?
Speaker 10: Well? An elf?
Speaker 1: An elf? An elf?
Speaker 10: That just what?
Speaker 1: I don't know. What do you call an elf that just won the Queen of Hearts?
Speaker 10: Wealthy? Did you say?
Speaker 1: Did you say wealthy?
Speaker 10: Wealthy?
Speaker 6: W E L F y?
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed they're supposed to they're supposed to get better.
Speaker 11: Well there so, uh so then conversely, what do you call a broke Santa Claus?
Speaker 1: What do you call a broke Santa Claus?
Speaker 11: I call it broke Santa Claus, Saint nicol Les, Dave, Dave, Dave.
Speaker 1: I told my wife the truth. I told her I was seeing a psychiatrist, and then she told me the truth that she was seeing a psychiatrist. Two plumbers and a bartender.
Speaker 12: Jokes told by Dave from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming.
Speaker 1: My friend, who I think is listening in right now. His name's Art and Bolo. He's also known as Radio's best Friend, has been bugging me for a picture of me and Liam together. For what purpose?
Speaker 10: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Art's kind of a different guy, but it kind of reminds me of the the Robin Williams movie Good Morning Vietnam, where the Vietnamese bartender or bar owner is always asking him for naked pictures of Walter Brennan. It kind of reminds me of that. So Art, Liam's in the studio right now and figured we just go ahead and get it done because he bugged me again this morning. Liam all right, uh que, there you go, you look less like a hostage. Now here we go, picture made. It'll be sent forthwith Art. Thank you, Liam, appreciate that. And now that we've got that little piece of business taken care of. Let's talk to mister Washburn all radio. Rick, good morning, how are you receiving us?
Speaker 13: I'm sorry, I'm distracted thinking of the old George Carlon routine of somebody broke into my house and stole my nude pictures of Ernest bordnine.
Speaker 1: Who doesn't Who doesn't have nude pictures of Ernest borgnine?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 13: That's see everyone, I hope that's there's probably a website for that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Merry Christmas to you, my friend.
Speaker 13: You're coming in four by four, which is better than expected, quite frankly, really on a Majestic Model one four. This radio is for nineteen fifty one. It's an AM radio boasting four tubes and nothing else, oh except that it's a marbled Catlan, which means it costs a lot to buy one now. And it's in the shape of Rudolph the Red Nose reindeer. And it has a dial likee that doesn't like the dial, but it lights up his little red nose. It's really cute. It was based on the Oregond four forty four, which was the Mighty Mite. But I'll tell you what the Rudolph obviously being for kids. And by the way today's money, it actually sold for less than two hundred bucks, so that's not bad for radio back then. Absolutely. But the one nice thing is that it is Catlin because the the Arvin Mighty Might that was based on was a metal cabinet and what they called the hot chassis. Depending upon which way you plug the plug into the outlet. Yeah, if you touch did it might send you across the room?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 6: Nice?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it was it was an electronic travel agent.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 13: So the catalogs the Arvin says smart, trim and dainty, so small and compact. Okay, so far they're bat and two for two so big in power and tone. No, that's not true. So attractive in design when you remove Rudolph it's no, it's not. But solo in price, yes it is. Most families need three or more Arvins. Okay, then there's one way to sell them upstairs, downstairs, anywhere. They were really reaching for anything.
Speaker 1: No, I mean you know they're trying to upsell those suckers, no doubt about that. I mean, you know, the more the merrier, how do you do it? Volume?
Speaker 13: It's right, they made one with Rudolph, and they made one with the lone Ranger and the the marbled Catlan cabins like this one. Well, they'll bring in two grand or more today. And then Ward's Airline also had a bake light version that was not the marbled color, and it was a more fragile plastic. But nonetheless it will still bring in a grand or so.
Speaker 1: Oh, no doubt, no doubt. So uh you need? I mean, how many Arvins do you have?
Speaker 13: I actually had six of the little Mighty Mites and always and I put polarized plugs on them, so they will not send you across the room.
Speaker 6: They will across the room.
Speaker 5: So what do you do?
Speaker 1: What are you and Marie doing for Christmas?
Speaker 10: Rick?
Speaker 1: What's the usual traditional Washburn Christmas?
Speaker 10: We?
Speaker 13: Well, traditional Washburn Christmas. We actually celebrated two days ago with our daughter and had a uh we went out to Ford's Garage for dinner, which is a really cool restaurant that has a model a hanging over the bar and a great menu and lots of old antique signs from from old Ford dealerships and repair places.
Speaker 6: And so forth.
Speaker 13: And since basically that's that's our only family, we uh, celebrated early because she and I both unfortunately have to work for the whole next week.
Speaker 1: Oh my, what a bunch of draconian ogres you must work for on Christmas. Not on Christmas.
Speaker 6: Well, listen to draconian ores.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: I hope you both have a wonderful, blessed Christmas at work. I will I'm gonna work on Monday and Tuesday. I'm doing Willie Show on Monday afternoon and then the nightcap on Tuesday, and then we'll be going to Middle Tennessee to see Mom and Dad to the lovely village of Ripley, Ohio. How now Brown County Main Street in Ripley. The place is called Brookies, and the Gang has assembled there once again on an early Saturday morning. Good morning, gang, Good, good to hear your lovely voices all fresh tailed and bushy eared or something like that. How are you this morning?
Speaker 8: Hi?
Speaker 14: We're doing pretty good. We're all down here, nots Mormon, just having a good time and joint Tell's Company.
Speaker 1: We had a we had a we had a Queen of Hearts winter on Wednesday night at Brookies. Bill German as that was, that was his name, That was Bob Bob. Okay, Bill was out of the money, but Bob won the money because, as as Doug said at the time, he's a lucky s ob. So he I knew he was.
Speaker 4: Gonna I think he just said that right before you call.
Speaker 14: For Christmas, our weather's gonna be almost sixty degrees.
Speaker 15: It's gonna be wonderful for Christmas.
Speaker 13: Well, I mean because I don't care for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see I'm not. I'm not a big fan of the cold either, but I'd like a little snow on Christmas just to look at in the morning, you know, and then sunshine and sixty is fine with me. So, uh, what else is going on? How is the weather beaver?
Speaker 10: Sherry, the weather beaver.
Speaker 15: He's in good shape. He can't wait to come to my Christmas celebration. You know, he's going gonna uh you know, the party.
Speaker 16: Oh it's gonna say he should be the star, the star if when we're just discussing, uh, this cold weather that we've had off and on here lately, and we just found out that Buzz has a real nice battery power keeted coat, which surprises me.
Speaker 1: A battery.
Speaker 6: Yes, he's gonna full charge to this.
Speaker 4: Yes he's he's on level two.
Speaker 6: Well up coat, Well that interchangeable man.
Speaker 1: Most of them most of the time. Buzz is on like level thirteen and it has nothing to do with an electric powered coat.
Speaker 14: Well, you guys, we don't have We don't have any really anything going on out Berties right now, which other than just our regular things since the queen is over until probably next March, maybe in February.
Speaker 6: March.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't need anything.
Speaker 6: We just need.
Speaker 1: We don't need anything.
Speaker 9: We just need.
Speaker 1: We just need holiday cheer, goodwill towards men, peace on earth. And if you've got that, you've got everything.
Speaker 4: Yes, that is true. We do have to cook us out of jail, so we do have.
Speaker 1: Food and uh a good company, Yeah, always good company. Uh is Miller there? Matt Miller?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dad, Okay, I know, I know you like all the jokes, and we finally got one for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean you mean beside besides you.
Speaker 4: Know, I, uh so, what has a small unit and hangs upside down?
Speaker 1: What has a small unit and hangs upside down?
Speaker 10: A bat?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 13: A bat? So it has a large unit and hangs up.
Speaker 1: I don't know what, Oh I get it?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 1: Steve from Edna is standing by with the pithy phone called News of the Week, a commentary revolve and regarding Christmas kind of and that peace on earth, goodwill toward men thing. And you know what, before we talk to Steve, I'm gonna talk to this lady real quickly. Good morning, Pat, Good.
Speaker 15: Morning, sugar lips. I want to wish you a happy birthday. And I also I want to give the praises to Lynette. Her singing this morning was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm like I said, that's my favorite Christmas hymn hands down is Yeah.
Speaker 15: Well, how well, sweetheart, I've been fine, trying to get back into the groove.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Well, anyway, I just pray for the kids and especially the lost children. So anyway, sweetheart, you just have a happy.
Speaker 1: Birthday, Okay, all right, Pat, Merry Christmas.
Speaker 15: Dear saying to you babe, bye bye bye.
Speaker 1: Six at seven l our friend Steve from at Ohio. Good morning, Steve, and Marry, Good.
Speaker 5: Morning Gary, Jeff. Indeed, it was on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day of nineteen fourteen, just a couple of months after World War One started. US wasn't involved yet, you are correct. The soldiers on both sides came out of their foxholes, they shook hands. The Germans actually produced a Christmas tree. I did a little digging in just to see how many books and how many papers had been written about this incident, and I came up with this one. This particular author acknowledges the fact that, beginning in the nineteen eighties, the Brits suddenly took a very active interest in exactly what happened. Now, let me read a few paragraphs at the end of this report. I've tried to counteract two popular misconceptions of the truths. One is that only common soldiers took part in it, while officers opposed it. No few officers opposed it, and many took part. The other is that neither side wished to return to fighting. No, most soldiers, especially British, French and Belgium, remained determined to fight and win. Sadly, I also had to admit the Christmas Day games of football or soccer as they call it in the US, often falsely associated with the truth. The truth is that the terrain of No Man's Land ruled out formal games. Though certainly some soldiers kicked around balls and make shifts substitutes. Another false idea about the truce was held even by most soldiers who were there, that it was unique in history. Though the Christmas Truce is the greatest example of its kind, informal truces had been an outstanding military tradition during the American Civil War. For instance, rebels and Yankees traded tobacco, coffee and newspapers, fished peacefully on opposite sides of the stream, and even gathered blackberries together. Some degree of fellow feeling had always been common among soldiers sent to battle. It got me to thinking, there's a lot of hate going around. As a matter of fact, there's more hate this Christmas than anyone since I've been alive and aware of what was going on around me. It's despicable in every respect. It would be just speakable even if it wasn't Christmas. But I got to thinking, can I ask God on his birthday? Can I ask Jesus? Could you give us another one of these Christmas truces in Australia, Ukraine, the United States? Wouldn't it be wonderful? And I know you can do it, Jesus. I want to end, as we always do at Christmas time, happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to Jim le Barbara, and happy birthday to my great grandchild first one, all of whom were born on the twenty second. God bless y'all, and God bless everybody else.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Gary Jeff, Thank you Steve. Great Christmas message. Can it be so? My friend Ray will join us Ray Scott here in just a moment as we continue on this Saturday before Christmas six fifty one at seven hundred WLW actually heard during a report recently the alleged killer died of a gunshot wound from a gun No kidding. Our friend Steve Shilty, who also has a birthday coming up this coming week, his on Christmas Eve. He has a birthday on Christmas Eve every year, and he is also our resident environmental engineer. You know, environmental engineers never really retire, They just appear on the radio once a week. Steve Shilte, good morning and merry Christmas, my friend. How are we?
Speaker 6: Good morning, Gary Jeff? Better than I deserve as always, and again I'll join the chorus wishing you and the music professor a very happy and blessed birthday on Monday.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you very much, and hopefully hopefully you can do that for us on Monday. What are you doing on Monday, Steve?
Speaker 10: Right now?
Speaker 6: Nothing starting two, one thing after another.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, you know noon to three, you know where we'll be. You wanted to give some shout outs first this morning? What have you got for it?
Speaker 6: First of all, shout out to my fellow Golden LaSalle alumni as we enjoyed our third annual Class of seventy three Christmas party at the firehouse at Covington Yard, hosted by our fellow classmate Steve Hamburger. Okay, so were was about fifty somewhere between fifty and sixty guys joined us, and that was great.
Speaker 1: No, no way, how long ago? I don't want to divulge too much personal information of yours, but how long ago did you graduate from Lassell?
Speaker 6: I said, class of seventy three.
Speaker 1: Seventy three, okay, so we're talking about fifty two years? Yes, well, and what made you decide to start doing an annual Christmas party three years ago?
Speaker 6: At our fiftieth I think it was at our fiftieth ann fiftieth you know, animation decided to have we decided to have it.
Speaker 1: So that's great and.
Speaker 6: Steve Hamburger owns the firehouse that coming into the yards a great place, especially with fifty sixty guys. So we've done it today. This year is our third year. Also to acknowledge guy I've known since grade school, Tim Iory and his wife who always listened to the program. And interesting one I don't I can't remember who it was. Another alumnus, when he heard that I was doing this gig every week, responded quote, I remember his quote. So you are the Steve Shulty. I've been noting you two for years. That's yep, that's me. But onto the subject and topic at.
Speaker 1: Hands bear polar bears. Everybody loves the cute little polar bears that will rip your shrowdout if you get too close. Yeah, anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 6: But Climate Change Weekly number five sixty six from yesterday Heartland dot org gur polar bear populations decreasing or on again. We've been hearing for years that polar bear populations are decreasing and threatening due to so called man's made catastrophic climate change. And to this day, even in your favorite NGOs such as the National Resource Defense Council and the World Wildlife Federation used polar bears as their poster childs for fundraising. It's not you know, give us lots of money and we're gonna save the bears. Well, here's the fact. Pullar bear populations have been increasing ever since sciences have been had started counting them despite slight warming and the loss of ice in the arty, since nineteen fifty, which is when they started counting them. But I guess the best they could population estimate it went from ten thousand to today over thirty nine thousand. Part of the reason is tighter restrictions in the hunting, but there were more to it. Polar bears have are extremely adaptable predators and scavengers evolved over hundreds of thousands of years. That's the number of folks hundreds of thousands of years, lived through periods that were warmer than today, such as five thousand and just seven thousand years ago. They also survived cold periods we know as ice age that other animals and species died, like the wooly mammoth and the sabertooth tiger. And yes, there are some local populations that have declined, but they're far outweighed by booms of population and other In fact, research suggests that ice loss in the Arctic regions has benefited polar bears by resulting in increased the populations of healthy ringed and bearded seals, which polar bears love to must be the filaming young for polar bears. They've showed that the polar bears in some regions are literally fatter going into winter harbonations than they did decades ago, in having more cubs survived the adulthood. So again, once again, another so called man made catastrophic climate change hopes hits the scrap pile.
Speaker 1: Well, well, Steve, what you just said, though, illuminates the danger of man made climate change because we are causing the polar bears to become obese.
Speaker 6: They're fatter, so yeah, the extent of the cute little uh bearded and polar and ring polar polar seals. Yeah, no, they're cute too.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I think humans prefer seal meat over bear meat, so I can understand while hunting has been greatly restricted, I don't need any polar bear backstrips or ground polar bear. But you know, you know what, I'm I'm like a bull walrisk. Give me a tight seal every time. Thank you so much. Mary Chris yes.
Speaker 6: Brook like end with this Jesus Christ reason for the season.
Speaker 1: God bless Amen seven to eleven at seven hundred WL. Great thanks to Tony Rosiello, Joe Cina, and everyone else who made it possible for me to attend the Proteller You Needy Breakfast yesterday morning at Western Hills Country Club. It's something they've done now, I believe, for thirty five years. I believe they started in nineteen ninety when about ten or so guys of the Italian American community on the West Side would get together the weekend before Christmas and they'd go from house to house, have coffee, and then wind up at somebody's place for a few drinks, play some cards, have a good time and celebrate the joy of the season together. And now it has come to be this huge charity event. And the breakfast was there yesterday and it was absolutely wonderful, and thank you all for inviting me and letting me enjoy it with you again this year. I set at a table with a bunch of guys who are just the best, Mark and Fly and Brian and Frank and Tom and Jim Lebarbara who will be joining us momentarily for Rock and Roll Archaeology. After we take a listen to this week's Tom Davis Diaries or the here's our correspondent Tommy Davis with the Christmas up of wild wacky stories from around the world, around the country. Tom Good morning, Gary Jeff. This week the world's biggest snowman is Chinese. But first, a husband in distress seen hanging from the second floor sign of a hotel naked. He was apparently caught seeing someone on the side when his wife walked in and he ended up out the window hanging from a sign. Rescuers were able to get him down, but instead of hanging around, he took off running naked through the streets and he is still missing. Meanwhile, NBC News is reporting on a camel kick during a Christmas gig. The faithful attending a live Nativity scene at the Champion Forest Baptist Church had a front row seat to see a camel kick its hind legs back and hit a woman seated in the audience. She was immediately tended to and she's expected to be okay.
Speaker 17: There is no word on the camel's motive Aboutinez, California wife surprised her husband with a Godzilla rage room for his birthday. The man, a Godzilla superfan, dressed up as the monster and smashed a mini replica of Tokyo. His wife shared the experience on social media and said it was a fun way for him to let off steam. The internet had a mixed reaction, everything from he's a week loser to at least she cares enough to indulge his infantile behavior and finally, it's the size of Godzilla. But it's not Japanese, it's Chinese. The world's largest snowman was just built in Harbin, China. It took a team of workers weeks to pile up three hundred and ninety six thousand pounds of snow into a sixty two foot tall snowman. He's wearing your red Santa outfit and is called Frosty. Last year's snowman was a record breaker, and they beat it this year by three feet. Next week, Oklahoma family dazed and confused when a kangaroo busts down the door during dinner.
Speaker 1: Have a great weekend, Elite athlete or the everyday guy. Saturday before Christmas, December twentieth, twenty twenty five, Geary Jeff Walker, God Bless America Fest Turning Point USA going on in Phoenix this weekend. How about that six minutes after the hour eight oh six eastern that is, and well, look at where does the time go? How about a little science minute with little science mic on a Saturday morning?
Speaker 12: It seems appropriate, yes, as a night of Scientist is a bit surprising. Bell blinded kneewing.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Michael, how are you hello? Hey? How are you man?
Speaker 10: Hello?
Speaker 1: Little science mic, little little science, A little science minute with little science mic, a little science. How would you like a little science mic with your coffee?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 10: I was here for breakfast yesterday.
Speaker 1: I had scrambled eggs, which were delicious. I mean, and you can get scrambled eggs in any of those kind of breakfasts, but these were very very good. They had getta and I don't know who made the getta, but I found it was a little overdone, but it was still very good. Bacon. I had a cinnamon roll and lots of fresh fruit that was oh breakfast, potatoes too, very well seasoned, and coffee and a bloody Mary. Before the breakfast started, I was with the Bonavito brothers. Is there a more Italian West Side name than Bonavito. So I'm there with the Bonavitos and the little Bonavitos. They brought their sons along, and we were the only ones at the bar. Actually, before breakfast, I just wanted a Bloody Mary, so I had that and enjoyed that. And one of them had bourbon in their bloody Mary and I never heard of that before, and it still kind of makes me gag a little bit when I think of it when it comes to bloody Mary's. You know, vodka jin maybe, but not bourbon.
Speaker 10: I don't know anyway, And I'm like the donkey put a smile on my wife's face this morning.
Speaker 1: Didn't really?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 1: Has she always been a fan of donkeys?
Speaker 10: Yes, sir, yeah, well, I mean it's not when she goes to the polls.
Speaker 1: There, you go, very nice. What are you doing on Monday?
Speaker 6: Well, I guess I'll be working.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well hopefully hopefully you'll be listening. It's it's during Willie's show. He's gone and they asked me to fill in, and I said, wow, that's my birthday. I might as well host my own birthday party with Jim Lebarbera because it's his birthday too. Jim is exactly nineteen years older than I am, and I am I am clipping at sixty five on Monday, which I'm not really fully prepared for still, you know, trying to figure out the medicare thing and all of that garbage, and it's just it's a little bit much for me.
Speaker 10: Well, I know where to go to.
Speaker 1: Oh do you good?
Speaker 8: One?
Speaker 10: Yeah, we'll actually go to you.
Speaker 1: We will we will talk. We will talk after the show, Michael, Thank you very much. All right, So what do you got this morning?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 10: One? This is quickly one of the better social science studies that for the year. I think that regularly helping people outside your household can actually improve your help improve your cognitive decline and keep it astray and people of our age, middle aged and older adults. So what they did thirty thousand Americans. They looked at from over the age of fifty one since like ninety eight, and they counted for OTU factors as well with education and current physical mental health. And what they found out is if you formally and even informally help somebody else two to four hours a week in this scheduled environment, or even go help a neighbor with you know, yard work or get their garbage every Monday night or anything like that, or something regular like that. They can decrease your probability of having cognitive decline by twenty percent. You know, it helps you stay connected to the outside world too, and things like that. But just it's amazing. It's like help. Things are interrelated. Helping other people helps you. You know. One of the stats I've read was one three of Americans take part in schedule formal volunteering in this country, and fifty percent do informal informal help for their neighbor. So you know, it's not all bad out there.
Speaker 1: What, No, No, it's not. In fact, we hear about the bad because that is news that is out of the ordinary. The bad is out of the out of the usual of what goes on in most people's lives. I've talked about this for years, Mike. The reason people always go, well, why isn't there any good news? There's good news all around us. We only hear about the so called bad news because it's the aberration, it's the anomaly, it's not the usual. And people need to remember that if they feel inundated with chaos and bad news all the time. Remember the reason you don't hear good news is because good usually happens. I believe that.
Speaker 10: Well, I hope you have a safe trip down to mom and dad'sie.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you very much, and Merry Christmas to you and yours. And are you getting your wife a donkey for Christmas?
Speaker 6: Okay? Thank you?
Speaker 1: Eight twelve at seven hundred WL the season of Immanu God with us, and he still is, I believe, Brother Rick Green on this weekend before Christmas. Merry Christmas, my brother, how are you?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 10: Mary? Christmas? Hey?
Speaker 18: Can I give a shout out before we start?
Speaker 1: You always can give a shout out? Brother. The floor is yours.
Speaker 18: I receive the Christmas card Thursday from Don and Ronda. And Don and Ronda, I'm so sorry. I do not remember who you are, but thank you for blessing me and my family.
Speaker 1: Oh that's wonderful. Don and Rondo.
Speaker 10: My brain up for thirty day.
Speaker 4: I don't know who they are, Gary, but I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well listen, go ahead with the Bible verse.
Speaker 18: Okay, So then we have John chapter one, verse twelve. He says, yet to all, Yet to all who did receive him. To those who did believe than his name, he gave the right to become children of God.
Speaker 10: Amen.
Speaker 1: Amen, brother, have a blessed Christmas. Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Hey, you all have a merry Christmas?
Speaker 1: All right, Rick Green and Teresa. That Teresa quickly with our word of the day. Teresa, Liam tells me we are tight on time.
Speaker 19: Well, okay, seasons, greetings and salutations. Hello Frankie the wonder Elp. Hello christ Hello everybody.
Speaker 9: God bless you all.
Speaker 19: Happy birthday to you, and professor, Happy birthday to you. My daughter is the twenty fourths Steve Silty.
Speaker 10: The word of the day is blessing.
Speaker 19: Oh gosh, thank you Lynette. It was beautiful blessings. Blessings are favor of God, God's favor protection. And with the season upon us, we all need to remember our blessings that we are all so blessed by God. God bless you.
Speaker 1: I love you all.
Speaker 4: Merry Christmas.
Speaker 1: Merry Christmas to that Teresa and to you kids. Time will gives from Wally. Does anybody really know what time it is? The guy goes to the doctor for his annual physical doctor's office calls him wants him to come back in the lab reports have detected a serious terminal illness. The doctor says, I don't know how to tell you this. I'll just tell you there's no treatment right now that we know of, no surgery, and I'd say you have about six months to live. You probably need to make sure your your will is in order. You have a will, I hope, get your affairs in order, and uh, just figure out what you're gonna do with the last six months. The guy thinks for a second. He says, Doc, I think I'm gonna go live with my mother in law. I says, well, I mean it's your business, but why are you gonna go live with your mother they're in law? Because it'll be the longest six months of my life. Is it going to be almost sixty degrees on Christmas Day? Which is kind of weird, especially after what we've just been through the last couple of weeks. I'm curious about what our friend Moe Egger has cooking for the Christmas season and the Christmas week ahead. So what do you think We'll ask him? Hey, mo, how are we doing? I'm doing fantastic. One of my favorite times of the year. You know, it's my birthday, on Monday. And by the way, I want you to know if you're around, you're more than invited to the on air Christmas birthday party we're going to have for myself and jim Lebarbara on Monday in lieu of the Willie Show. I'll be on for mister Cunningham, and I decided, you know, nobody else is going to throw me at Christmas party, so I throw my own, just like why I throw my own anniversary party for this show because I knew nobody else would do it. So my question for you as a dad, uh huh. Everybody has Christmas traditions in their family, and I'm just curious if you want to share with us what Christmas tradition have you established for you and the missus and and Crosley. Do you have any Christmas traditions something that you've come to do every year since you've become a dad, Crawsley.
Speaker 8: Do we have any cool Christmas traditions? Well, she gave me a shoulder shrug.
Speaker 1: Oh no, she's already, she's already. She's already got your personality pretty much.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, pretty much. I don't you know we uh, Crosley and I usually take a Saturday early in December and go visit Fanta Claus and have lunch. That's probably it qualifies our most recurring one. We've done that every year.
Speaker 1: For a long time.
Speaker 8: You know what I like to do on Christmas, and this has very little to do with my family.
Speaker 9: I like on Christmas Eve night, I like to pour myself a live as and I like to watch.
Speaker 8: Mass midnight Mass from the Vatican.
Speaker 10: I like that.
Speaker 9: Nice, probably not for everybody. It's quiet in the house before the storm the next day. My friends of mine who laugh at me for enjoying.
Speaker 8: This prevision, but because they said, well, don't you just go to a real Mass?
Speaker 9: But I actually do enjoy doing that.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that that totally qualifies. And you know, it's it's your thing, So it's got to be cool if that's what you enjoy doing, and that's the way you kind of soak in the spirit of what should be a joyous time for believers and for people who understand the reason for the season. I mean that that totally gets it for me.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 1: I like that, you know, and and what she spoke to there also speaks to something that a lot more of us could benefit from. Not just at Christmas, but in our daily lives, and that is taken some quiet time by ourselves, maybe maybe not with anything on in front of us, maybe with some screen time like masks like you're talking about, but just taking just taking some time to just be quiet and tune out from everything else.
Speaker 10: Mo.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's been more and more people are talking about that, especially in the age in which we live, where we're constantly on our screens, on our phones. And like you said, the noise of the next day, I hear Crosley in the background. Is she singing?
Speaker 9: She's yes, she's making Christmas cards and I think she's trying to get hurt on the radio.
Speaker 8: I think is gotcha?
Speaker 1: Hi, Crosley? How you doing.
Speaker 9: She's doing well, as you can tell. I enjoy everything that you just talked about. The occasional bursts of quiet time are very much cherished.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I come home from when I work at the bar, and I will again today when I get home a little after seven o'clock tonight, after listening to the jukebox and to the TVs with the games. The last thing I want is noise. And when I get home from this show, I will sit for an hour before I have to go to work at my other job, and we never on Saturday mornings have the TV on or anything. When I get home, we just sit there in silence, drink a little coffee. Sometimes I take a nap. But I'm telling you what tuning out is. I think one of the healthiest things you can do mentally, just to replenish your soul. Man, it's mass It really matters.
Speaker 8: It matters a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's uh.
Speaker 9: That's a big part of my morning every day is.
Speaker 8: Drop it off school and enjoying some some silence before we uh, before we get going for the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about that. No silence in that stadium last night in Oklahoma and Norman. That was a Rockets place and it looked like the crowd was going to rule the day along with the Sooners in the first half. But Alabama came to the fore man and they they knocked it out and moved on. In the College Football Championship, do you like the setup of the first round games being played on the top top teams in the seedings home home field.
Speaker 6: Do you like that?
Speaker 10: I do.
Speaker 9: I kind of wish that was the case in the second round as well, to give those teams that got by the home field advantage that the teams in the first round that earned home games got. I think it's it's a cool element. You know, the scene last night and Norman was awesome. I also feel like if you put those games on neutral sites, logistically with the turnaround, you know, you're not giving fans that much of an opportunity to go see their favorite team play.
Speaker 8: And so I think you would have a lot of venues that are what.
Speaker 9: You don't want for a college football playoff game, and that's half empty or mostly empty.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I think you know, last year.
Speaker 9: Home teams won all four games in the first round, and frankly, none of them were very competitive. Last night was two entirely different games. I think I was like a lot of people who thought, Okay, Alabama is down seventeen to nothing, there's a lot of noise arounding their coach.
Speaker 1: Maybe going to Michigan.
Speaker 8: They just laid an egg in the SEC championship game.
Speaker 1: They're playing on the road.
Speaker 9: And then because of some Oklahoma mistakes, they had a punt that was dropped where the putter literally dropped the ball he was about to kick. They had a pick six that just totally felt like it swung the game. But yeah, there's lots of issues with the College Football Playoff that people have. Some of them are very legitimate gripes. But I think the coolest element that has been added since they expanded the field of twelve was playing games on campus sites. It's last year Notre Dame hosting Indiana. That was an awesome setting. The game wasn't very good, but that was an awesome setting. Ohio State got a home game last year and there were a ton of Tennessee fans there because it was in the wake of Ohio State losing to Michigan. I thought that was a really cool setting.
Speaker 8: It wasn't much of a game.
Speaker 9: I like the fact where we're seeing games played in true home sites in the first round, and I wish it would continue in the second round.
Speaker 1: Yeah when that and this is the last thing I saw on last night's Alabama Oklahoma game was one of the best punters in the nation simply dropping the punt right before his foot met it, and you know, Alabama recovers, And to me, that was the at one play was the shifting of the mo.
Speaker 8: Mo and you could feel it, you could see it.
Speaker 10: In real time.
Speaker 9: They also missed. They also missed a couple of field goals, including a chip shot.
Speaker 8: By a guy who hadn't missed since the first game of the season.
Speaker 9: That game very quickly went from one that felt like Oklahoma was in complete control to one that very quickly felt like it was slipping away, which it did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing that the choke color fit at home.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 1: The only game today that seems like it's going to be competitive is the Miami Texas A and M game, because I mean, let's face it, James Madison in Tulane are not college football juggernauts. They got in because they're in that Power five. Whatever. What do you look for in the Texas A and M Miami game today? And how do you think that's.
Speaker 10: Going to go?
Speaker 9: I want to see how good Miami quarterback Carson Beck is. You know, in this day and age of college football, there are certain players who feel like they've been playing since.
Speaker 8: I was in college.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and he's won and look to me, you know, the big The two controversial selections were obviously Alabama getting in instead of Notre Dame and Miami getting in instead of Notre Dame. Now, I think the consensus is that ultimately Miami deserved to get in ahead of Notre Dame because they won head to head, but how they got there was weird, and how they got there has elicited some very legitimate gripes from not just Notre Dame fans, but the athletic director at Notre Dame who went on about a three day crusade to kind of tell everybody how much his team got screwed. And I think, to a degree, they did.
Speaker 8: And so I think it's not dissimilar from last night.
Speaker 9: Do the Hurricanes belong in this field? If they play well and win, then I think to a degree, it's going to justify what the committee did. It's also a game between the ACC representative, not the ACC champion, versus.
Speaker 1: The SEC team.
Speaker 9: And I think if Miami loses tonight, it's going to be a very stark referendum on a conference that did not have a very good season, that did not send its champion to the College Football Playoff.
Speaker 6: And so we'll see.
Speaker 9: And it's also a coach in Mario Cristobal at Miami. And I was listening to a college football podcast with a talk show host from Miami who was on who was talking about the fact that, you know, Mario Cristiball, who played at Miami, was the center, was the coach at Oregon, now coaching his alma mater. He's had some terrific wins, but he's also had some games where his decision making has cost his team victory. If that happens today in the game against Texas A and M I think how he's talked about and how he's written about is going to be really interesting.
Speaker 1: I had some definite thoughts about Notre Dame and their reaction to not getting in, and they're you know, taking their collective balls and just saying, no, we're not going to play. Yeah, you cheated us out of a chance to play for a champion, so we're just not going to play in any bulls. And I've talked about this Notre Dame fans and they kind of agree with me. And you know, maybe it's time Notre Dame joins a conference. Maybe it's time that they play the best week in and week out during a conference schedule instead of relying on the name Notre Dame. What do you think about that?
Speaker 9: Well, I think if there's a program that has often fairly been accused of being entitled. It's Notre Dame. And you know, look, your independence comes at a cost, and for Notre Dame, the cost is unlike everybody else in the conference, don't get a chance to play a thirteenth game, don't get a chance to call yourself conference championships. Now, the upside of that is if you make the college football playoffs, you don't have to split the money, and so you know, there's a cost of independence.
Speaker 6: I didn't have an issue with.
Speaker 9: What Notre Dame did. Mainly I remember Florida State two years ago. Florida State got snubbed because their quarterback got hurt and they excluded them despite being undefeated from the College Football playoff. They had a lot of players opt out, and they put a product on the field that was not representative of how good that Florida State team was all season, and they got destroyed by Georgia. I would rather a team say we're not showing up, we're not gonna play, We're not gonna play without a bunch of guys who opt out, then put on the field what Florida State did. And look, a lot of schools say no to bowl games. A lot of schools say look for a variety of reasons, whether it's a coaching change, whether it's you know, we have players who aren't going to play in the game because they're going to go pursue other opportunities.
Speaker 10: Whatever it is.
Speaker 13: There's a lot of schools that say no to bowl games.
Speaker 9: There are schools that say no to the NIIT or some of the other college basketball tournaments every March. With Notre Dame, the reaction is a little bit different because it's Notre Dame, and because the athletic director did a fair amount of whining and again, and I thought many of his gripes were legitimate. But bowl games have never mattered less. Notre Dame doesn't need to pay out from some second or third tier. Bowl schools opt out all the time. And frankly, as you watch some of these bowls, when you see teams take the field without you know, sticks, ten, twelve, fifteen of their best players, sure the games often become kind of a farce. I would rather a team just say, look, we're not going to be a part of that than put a team on the field that gives us a game that's not very competitive.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll be watching with great interest the Vanderbilt Iowa game because my dad's in Iowa alum. I was born in Iowa, and I rooted for Vanderbilt for the last I don't know decade or whatever. So that's a bowl game that's not in the championship that I'll I'll have great interest in. Listen, Moe, have a very very merry Christmas. Enjoy Mass on Tuesday night and or but yeah, Wednesday night, and Merry Christmas to Crosley, you too, man, Thanks so much. All Right, you got a counselor what's going on? Hey, buddy, how you doing. You're one of those Notre Dame fans whining, aren't you. I'm one of those Notre Dame fans, but not whining. Okay, go ahead, I mean I kind of agree with Moe on that one.
Speaker 20: What's on the show today, Well, I'll tell you we're gonna be talking a lot about what's going on in Minnesota and Gary Jeff.
Speaker 1: It is just unbelievable. They're now up to I believe six billion. I heard nine. Well, this is on our.
Speaker 20: That's undocumented so far. It's going to go beyond that. Well, beyond that, we're going to talk about that in detail, in the rant. Also Janis Higel of the Epoch Time. She filed no less than five separate stories this week on it. She's up there on the ground, she's all over this thing. We're gonna talk to Janis about that. I believe I've got her on at eleven o'clock. I'm going to talk to her about that. Go to talk to Kevin Burton, independent political consultant. This Ohio governor's race is getting close. It's heating up.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 20: Everybody thought, myself included Vivek Ramaswami, would blow Amy Act in a way, and that may ultimately happen, but it is tight now. Also Texas Senate race Jasmine Crockett. I mean, if the people of Texas elect that woman, I'm moving to Mexico. So we'll be talking to Kevin about all those things. And again heavily on the Minnesota situation. Yeah, I'd hold off on the move to Mexico. I think that's gonna happen. I don't think and Amy Acting just needs to go smoke some dope and leave us alone. Have a fantastic Christmas. Merry Christmas too, buddy, you're invited to the Christmas party. Money if you want to come by June to three. All right, Mike Allen, Saturday midday next and the after the show show at Huddles. After I go home for about an hour and sit in silence and enjoy a cup of coffee. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 1: This Sports Spotlight is brought to you by Capital One Venturex Business