Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begne.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're gay running back to get.
Speaker 1: In on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 4: Last What a game in the Bronx.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers hold on and beat the Yankees tonight by a final score of two to one. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase with you until eight thirty tonight back in La eleven thirty here at Yankee Stadium after an exciting opener to this three game series. The Dodgers being back at Yankee Stadium for the first time since closing them out in the World Series back in twenty twenty four, So a lot of great memories here. Garret Cole was on the mound that night Game five, and Garrett Cole was on the mound tonight and things went sideways on Cole in the fifth inning of Game five in the twenty four World Series, and things went sideways on Garrett Cole tonight in the seventh inning after he walked Mookie Betts to lead off the seventh inning, and Aaron Boone goes out there to talk to Garrett Cole. I mean, I understand Cole is the ace, and it's I hate saying it's his game because it's not his game.
Speaker 4: It's the team's game.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 4: If you walk.
Speaker 2: Mookie Betts to lead off the seventh inning, I would find it hard to leave him in the game, especially since we are in July. He's only made ten starts since missing almost five hundred and seventy days between starts coming back from Tommy John surgery. So again, thank you Aaron Boone for leaving Garret Cole in there. You know, I understand that you're on the mound, and Dave Roberts says done that in big games, but he has a method and a process in the regular season, and I just was surprised that they left Garret Cole in that game. So Max Munsey made Aaron Boone pay for that decision. He made Garret Cole pay for extending that at bat. He was able to hang in there for six pitches, and then on the seventh pitch, Garret Cole threw him a slider, a flat slider, and quite frankly, the slider was Garret Cole's worst pitch tonight, and he threw it and Munsey did not miss it four hundred and sixteen feet in the second deck upper deck here at Yankee Stadium, and the Dodgers had a two to one lead after a fantastic game by Garret Cole, and he was dominant. The Dodgers had no real answer for Garrett Cole well tonight. He went six plus innings, he allowed four hits, and he gave up that go ahead two run home run in the seventh inning. So certainly a fun night here at Yankee Stadium. It was fun to be back here, I think for all of us, Rick Monday and Steven Nelson, myself, Dwayne McDonald and others.
Speaker 4: A lot of memories came back.
Speaker 2: Being here for the first time since Game five of the twenty four World Series. You know where I stood tonight waiting to get on the field for the final out. That's where I was standing when I was standing next to Buster only cramped in that camera. Well, when Walker Buehler came in out of that bullpen and strutted his way to closing out the Yankees and giving us that famous pose that.
Speaker 4: Will live forever.
Speaker 2: A lot of places here that you walk through, you remember where you were during the World Series, And certainly it was a great time because that was the first championship the Dodgers had won in a full season since nineteen eighty eight and got to experience the champagne shower because they did not get to experience that in twenty twenty. And I never experienced the Dodgers winning the World Series front row and center like that, covering the team.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: I was Me and Alana Rizzo were the only two Dodger broadcasters, along with Joe Davis for Fox, that were in Texas for the entire run Globely Field, so I was there. I would talk to guys over zoom, I would talk to them over a headset in the clubhouse.
Speaker 4: But that was the extent of it.
Speaker 2: So twenty four was the first time to experience the Dodgers winning the World Series with them. To bring you a World Series winning celebration on Sports Net LA and right here on AM five to seventy, LA sports, So all those things came flooding back. But tonight was about Max Munsey continuing to be that guy who has been one of the more clutch players in baseball since he got called up in twenty eighteen. And tonight was about the Dodger defense, which was the difference in them winning the World Series last year, and it was the difference again tonight, and it was in twenty four beating the Yankees. And say whatever you want about the way Andy Pie has threw that.
Speaker 4: Ball back to the infield.
Speaker 2: He was just trying to get it back into the infield, back to the cutoff man as quickly as he could, and Mookie Betts made a Jeter esque type of instinctual play, and Dalton Rushing made an incredible tag because the throw across Mookie's body took Rushing up the first base line. The throw was on the first base side and he was able to reach back and tag out Trent Grisham, which was representing the tying run, and mister Momentum had pinstripes on at that point in time, if Trent Grisham is safe. So just a tremendous night from Muncie from the Dodger defense from Rushing who caught Roki Sasaki. Sasaki was maybe the best we have seen him consistently from inning one until the time Dave Roberts took him out when the gas tank was getting low. Great proactive managing by Dave Roberts taking him out with two outs in the sixth inning when he saw, you know, the gas tank blinking empty, and he brought in Jack Dryer, who got the job done. And Jack Dryer has started to look like Jack Dryer from a year ago. His last three outings, and Sasaki was throwing more pitches over the century mark tonight vlo wise than he ever has in any of his major league starts. He threw it, threw one hundred miles an hour or more seventeen different times tonight, and through the hardest pitch of his major league career on the first pitch to Paul Goldschmidt in the first inning, one hundred and one point eight.
Speaker 4: Miles an hour.
Speaker 2: Those are things that get flashed up here at the Yankee Stadium video board that you can't miss. So this was this was a different Roki Sasaki than what we have seen. And Dalton Rushing said, you know what he had his good stuff. Maybe it was the big stage here at Yankee Stadium. Whatever it was, the focus was there from Roki Sasaki tonight eight nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Yankees tonight two to one. If you were here in the Bronx, would love to hear from you. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. I can't believe we don't have a full board of calls tonight. This was such an exciting game. How can you not be pumped up after a game like tonight?
Speaker 4: Where are you?
Speaker 2: Nine eight seven two five seventy. I know where Darryl is. He's in Palmdale. Lead us off tonight, Daryl, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: What a game?
Speaker 5: What a game?
Speaker 6: I loved it. The Dodgers did exactly what they were supposed to do a veteran team, don't press the issue, laid back and let them make a mistake. And the leadoff walk was the mistakes. I don't I don't know why they looked into the game, but hey, we'll take you. And that's what the Dodgers did. They played like professionals today and they that's what they need to do play like professionals, eliminate the leadoff walk because the leadoff walk kill les. I mean, they killed us in the last game, but tonight we overcame and when they we got that leadoff walk, I knew it was something happened.
Speaker 2: But like I said, Daryl, it it's twenty twenty six, it's not nineteen eighty five. When you give up a leadoff walk in the seventh inning and a guy coming off Tommy John surgery, you gotta take him out of the game. I thought Aaron Boone made a critical mistake there, even if Cole is able to get Muncie out, but you could feel things starting to turn the Dodgers way after he walked Mookie. I thought it was a poor decision by Aaron Boone.
Speaker 6: You know the fish wall, right, Yeah, And you.
Speaker 2: Know what that was him leaving Garrett Cole in there. That was a manager that wanted his player to like him instead of him being the manager.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, he did it. I'll say, cool, we got it, we got it.
Speaker 2: But hey, Deck, all right, Darryl, thank you for the phone call. Appreciate it. Eight sixty six ninety seven two five seventy. Let's go out to Malibu. Bob, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Bob?
Speaker 7: I'm doing good, Dave. What a great game.
Speaker 8: That was a great way to start this series.
Speaker 7: Man, So thanks for having me on to celebrate with you guys. And first let me just give a shout out to Colin the edit. To Colin put together the first season highlights, Man, well done. Really enjoyed that last night, Dave on Dodger Talk. Nice work.
Speaker 4: Hey there we go. You were listening to off night Dodger Talk, Bob.
Speaker 7: I love that absolutely, Man, I listen every night when you're on, Man, Dave. Question for you tonight we're talking about memories of the twenty four series. One of the more sour memories, especially for MOOKI, was those two clowns who grabbed his gloves. My question was, were those guys spotted in the crowd at all tonight or anywhere near the stadium. Are those guys allowed to be back at these games?
Speaker 4: They are not. They are banned permanently from Yankee stadium.
Speaker 7: Ah, good to hear. I'm glad the Yankees upheld that.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: That's the right thing to do for those guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I was talking to Mookie Bed, who came out with his own baseball glove company, and I said, hey, speaking of gloves, when you came back on the field here for early work, did you look down the right field line? And he said, as only Mookie would, I didn't even think about that until you brought it up. I was like, what, how could you not think about that? So that's just Mookie being in the moment.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 7: Well, it was an exciting game, Dodgers played. Well, look forward to the rest of this series. And again, well Jobbed, well done job Colin, nice work man. You guys have a great time in New York. Dave, thanks for the call.
Speaker 4: All right, Bob, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll play that montage tomorrow night after the game where maybe during a rain delay Dodger talk because rain is in the forecast for tomorrow here in New York.
Speaker 4: And I.
Speaker 2: Checked in with the grounds crew and they said they think the rain's going to end around seven o'clock Eastern time, four o'clock Pacific, so we may be in the clear, but hey, you never know, we might have to play that beautiful montage and that music was our guy Brad Paisley, loyal Dodger Talk listener, big time Dodger fan who I met up with last night in the city.
Speaker 4: How about that? Can you believe? Brad Paisley invited.
Speaker 2: Me to his condo here in New York and then he took me to the gastropub that he watched Game four of the NLCS Otani's big game.
Speaker 4: He said, I need to take you there. There's a great spot.
Speaker 2: This is where I watched O'tani's three home runs ten strikeout game.
Speaker 4: I mean, he is that big of a fan.
Speaker 2: And I have no idea why this guy wants to hang out with me, but we did. We had a great time, and I appreciate Brad Paisley's kindness. See and today he was on the Today Show last night hanging out with a bum like me, and then to today he was on the Today Show promoting his new album. So how about that. I didn't even know he had a new album. Let's go out to Coasta Mesa. Rick, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Rick?
Speaker 8: Hey, nice to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Did I catch you by surprise? You called me?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Hey, Hey, you know what. I'm from San Diego and I was telling your speener that the gold Glover and made just like Paw his tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean Pa has made a great throw tonight, and that's why he has a very good chance of being a Goal Glove winner. And that's part of the reason why he was an All Star starter. So you think about Pa, has you think about Max Munsey, You even think about Mookie Betts, who was the runner up at shortstop for the goal Glove last year. These aren't just guys, they're really good players that are three time World Series champions in the case of Muncie, a four time World Series winner in Mookie Betts, and a guy that made a big catch in the World Series last year and who's really coming into his own. These aren't just also rans. I mean I feel like people. I know, if the Dodgers, these group of Dodgers were playing on the East Coast, if they were the Mets or the Yankees, all these people east of the Mississippi would be, you know, crowning these guys the greatest team of all time. But because they're in LA, they don't get their due. They should get there due, and if they three pete, they're going down in history as one of the greatest teams of all time. I don't care where they play. Let's go out to Whittier. Michael, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: How are you doing, Michael, I'm doing well.
Speaker 3: David.
Speaker 9: Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 4: My pleasure. Did you get a chance to listen or or watch this game tonight?
Speaker 9: I got to watch you on TV.
Speaker 4: But nice.
Speaker 9: Honestly, I think whatever whatever break that the Zaki had with an entire you know, all Star break, whatever mentality that they worked with him, that was fantastic. As far as the way he pitched today, he is outstanding when he gets that first strike and they just need to keep beating that into him. And second, what I would like to say is pe should have had All Star appearance last year. He is a phenomenal.
Speaker 6: Center killer.
Speaker 9: He definitely deserved all the tack plays that he got this year.
Speaker 4: Thank you, David, no doubt, no doubt, Michael, thank you for calling in. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: He's the only challenge for Pa haz now is to carry this through the end of the year. He's proven he could do it for our first half, but now he's got to take the next step in his major league career. And do it for a full season. That's the challenge for Andy. Pie has not to let down and mentally a one sixty two season plus the playoffs with the Dodgers will wear you down mentally, and that's the challenge for him.
Speaker 4: Now, can he take this.
Speaker 2: Through the rest of the season and into October because we all know he struggled offensively in October.
Speaker 4: What is he going to do this year? That's the next challenge.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Want to give you an update on show. Hey Otani, who was oh for for tonight. In his first at bat, he sent a ball to the wall in right field. It was an out he was oh for for tonight. He hit the ball hard tonight, but not a lot to show for it. As we were talking about before the All Star break, he was going to manage that left knee, and we all, including Otani, thought he was going to have his left knee drained.
Speaker 4: That wasn't the case.
Speaker 2: We found out today from Dave Roberts and head trainer Thomas Aalbert that Otani did not have his left knee drained. Instead, O'tani got an injection some lubricant type of injection. Wouldn't be surprised if doctor Neil Elatrosh was involved or you know, I'm not sure who was involved, but he's the head doctor for the Dodgers, so he obviously okayed this.
Speaker 4: But Otani did not have his left knee drained.
Speaker 2: He did get an injection left knee lubricant injection. He is going to dh tomorrow and on Snday night baseball, so no day games here in New York lend itself to that. And I was around Otani in the clubhouse today. He seemed to be in good spirits. He seemed to wake up from a nap. He loves to sleep, and that obviously is a big part of the recovery. But he's in good spirits and didn't seem to be limping at all today. And he will pitch on Wednesday in Philadelphia, not a surprise because there's a day off on Thursday. So the first half of the year, that's the way it went. The Dodgers lined up his starts for Wednesdays because there were a lot of days off on Thursdays. So that's the plan for show Hey Otani and coming up in fifteen minutes you'll hear from manager Dave Roberts had a chance to be in the office with the Dodger Skipper, and he gave us a little bit more detail about Otanian managing him in the second half of the season. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello. Modello the mark of a fighter Dodger fan, I gotta say, I'm really disappointed in you tonight. What an exciting game in the Bronx. The Dodgers beat the Yankees the way they beat them, the way they beat Eric Cole. Where are you? We have two lines open plus eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Don't get complacent on me, Dodger fans. Don't get spoiled. You better not get spoiled. This team is spoiling you. I could feel it. Don't let that. Don't let that start to set in. I want to feel that intensity. I want to feel that excitement in you after games like tonight as the Dodgers beat the Yankees two to one on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Vasse.
Speaker 6: Has worked to count even now the two to two pitch.
Speaker 1: Lunch to right field, Mounsey drumps a bat and the hammer.
Speaker 4: Dodgers up two.
Speaker 6: To one as Mounsey sends one to the second deck.
Speaker 2: Max Monsey that funky Munseie coming up big in the Bronx tonight as he gives the Dodgers the lead on one swing a two to one or I should say a two run home run to give the Dodgers the two to one lead. That would be the final score tonight in Game one of this three game series between the Dodgers and Yankees. Jack Dryer the winning pitcher, Garrett Cole, the losing pitcher, and Tanner Scott with his fourteenth save of the season. Daniels Jewelers, they present the home run forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card. Visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot com, use the keyword home run and to your name and you could win Daniel's Jeweler own the dream. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodger fans don't embarrass me. You know I called you out. Don't get spoiled. You should be so excited after a game like tonight. You should be as excited as the Dodger fans that were in attendance tonight here at Yankee Stadium. I know a lot of them flew out here to be here for the weekend. What an exciting weekend in New York. Not only the Dodgers and Yankees going at it, Fanatics Fest is happening, and the World Cup Final is happening in Jersey on Sunday. And trust me, Rockefeller Center that was the FIFA hub they had the fan experiences going on.
Speaker 4: New York is.
Speaker 2: Very crowded because of this World Cup, but a lot of excitement about the Dodgers being back in New York and specifically at Yankee Stadium for the first time since Game five of the twenty four World Series. Garrett Cole, my guy from UCLA, pitched great. I just would not have left him in to face Max Munsey after that five pitch leadoff walk to Mookie Betts, Aaron Boone did and the Dodgers win two to one, and a great relay throw from Pahz to Mookie to Dalton Rushing, who did not have a great night at the plate, but he was very pivotal defensively behind the plate. I know he let a ball go through the wickets. He was kicking himself about that after the game, but he made up for it and then some later in that game and the way he caught Roki Sasaki, and don't let him fool you. He has a lot to do with the fire in Roki. There's something about Rushing that he knows how to light a fire underneath Roki Sasaki, and that certainly was there tonight.
Speaker 4: Let's go back out to the phones. Greg in La you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 5: Greg, mister vassay, it is a pleasure. I haven't called in years. Only reason why I haven't called in years because I know, normally it's so hard to get through. But you know, when you hauled out everybody, I was like, you know, let me give it a try. Next thing, you know, I'm talking to.
Speaker 4: You, try. I just don't want anybody getting spoiled out.
Speaker 5: There, and it looks like they are because I got through and I haven't called him years, and for me to call through call in and I got through. That means there's a lot of fans are just laying back and are getting complacent, and you know, you've got to really enjoy what this team is doing. Especially look you guys like you guys remember the years when we couldn't even get to this point as far as being dominant, you know, and and play the Yankees and to win a game like this, and it's just like, come on, guys, you gotta wake up. And at the same time, before you let me go, I just wanted to know the backup situation with the catching with with with with Will Smith and with Dald Rushing. He did really great tonight.
Speaker 3: Thank you, David.
Speaker 7: It's a pleasure.
Speaker 5: I haven't talked to you in years.
Speaker 6: You're the best man.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Hey, call back sooner than a few years. Greg, all right, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the catching situation is this, there's no new news that came out of what Dave Roberts said today, because if you've been listening to the show, you've been listening to our conversations with Dave Roberts, even going back to the last road trip in Minnesota when I was asking him.
Speaker 4: Virtually every other day.
Speaker 2: About Will Smith, he said, I don't see him coming back before July, which means August, and that's exactly what he said today. Look, I don't know what's going on with Will Smith's neck. They've been very vague about what specific injury Will Smith has.
Speaker 4: But he's feeling pain.
Speaker 2: He can't turn his head left as freely as you need to turn it, and I don't know. I feel like this may bleed into late August, maybe the beginning of September. And that's why I'm a big advocate for the Dodgers to go out there and acquire a veteran backup catcher. And I know, Auto Matt, everybody talks about Ben Rortvitt. Well, Ben Rortvitt isn't the only catcher out there that can be a good backup. And look, Ben did a great job. He's familiar with the Dodger pitchers, the Dodger program as a catcher. But there's other guys out there that could be had other than Ben Roortfitt.
Speaker 4: And then also, you know, as The Athletic.
Speaker 2: Reported, the Dodgers could spin off a guy like Eric Lauer or make another trade with the Twins or the Cardinals to get more minor league catching depth to help themselves to pad that area moving forward. So catching definitely would be on the radar at the trade deadline. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Okay, there you are Dodger fans. You know you talk about the Dodger players getting complacent. I'm worried you're getting complacent, Danny and Marietta.
Speaker 4: I hope you're not spoiled out there.
Speaker 10: No, not at all. I just want to say it was a good win despite all the injuries we have. We have a lot of debt, and we're never out of any game. They stay patient and they pushed through all all through the nine innings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so tonight was one of those great playoff type wins, Danny. Those are the type of games that you win in the playoffs against the pitcher like Garrett Cole.
Speaker 10: Yeah, one percent. And it shows what kind of veterans tim they are. And they you got to beat the champion. You got to play a complete game.
Speaker 3: So they don't.
Speaker 11: They don't get.
Speaker 10: Nervous, and they play all nine innings and they know that they could win any team at any time and it's a it's a marathon, it's not a sprint.
Speaker 2: All right, Danny, thanks for the phone call. I'm glad you're not getting complacent out there. Let's go out to Ventura, a very beautiful beachside city.
Speaker 4: Terry.
Speaker 2: I could see you getting lulled into some sort of complacency out there, not me.
Speaker 12: You got the wrong guy. I'm not on the antithesis of complacent. But let me just say, obviously, Dalton Rushing made a great swipe tag and he's really done generally a great job. And like you said, catching asaki isn't easy. But you know, Rick Money on the radio said these things. And I saw replays that pass ball. He was trying to frame the pitch, and that was like, really, I got to be honest, like a high school catcher could have caught that ball. He just made a bad idea on that one. And the other thing Rick Money pointed out is because you know, he was the center fielder once again, Pie's like kind of dropped the ball. But I'm just saying, our defense still is a little bit shaky, but you can't get past the most amazing cutoff thing. That was amazing. But I wondered what your take is on Rushing in that pass ball, because if you saw the replay, it was like, are you kidding me? I gotta be honest.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he was embarrassed about that, Terry, And look, he's going through growing pains. But I would say the good has outweighed the bad for Rushing so far being the starting catcher. With Will Smith's injury, I think this is maybe the best thing for Dalton Rushing because who knows the Dodgers may need him to catch in October. We don't know about Will Smith's neck. It seems to be the most mysterious neck injury I've ever heard of, So there's no guarantees from what we're gathering right now. He'll learn from that.
Speaker 12: I think Dalton Rushing. I think Dalton Rushing is mine large, doing a great job. I just want to make a comment that one thing I saw, and I hope they correct that. That's all.
Speaker 2: He'll correct it himself, no doubt, Terry, thank you for the phone call. Look, even in our walkoff interview, I didn't even bring that play up.
Speaker 4: He brought it up.
Speaker 2: He was still upset about that play, allowing that run in and the error by Piz even allowed that runner to get the third base. He never should have been at third base, So rushing and po has redeemed themselves in the eighth inning on that relay throw, because both guys were responsible for that run scoring for the first Yankee run tonight, that was on both of them. There was no reason for that runner to be at at third base. Piez should not have allowed Domingas to get to third. That was a double and when you give away ninety feet, runs will score. And luckily the Dodgers were able to make up for it tonight. Let's go out to Joseph in Ontario. You're on Dodger Talk live from Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 10: Hi, Joseph, Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 11: I second that emotion. I'm driving home with my daughter Leila, and you called us out. So here I am calling, what is Aaron Boone?
Speaker 4: Where you been?
Speaker 12: Joe?
Speaker 2: Hey, Joseph, where you been? You just waiting for October to call in?
Speaker 11: No, sir, I'm saying, like the other guy, I just don't even bother. It's always so packed. But thanks for calling us out. What's what Aaron Booney doesn't remember Pedro Martinez and Gritty Little and keeping him out there and that magnificent home run he hit. I kind of got a flashback of that when I heard on the radio that he was leading him out there. I was like, allread we go, Max is gonna knock it out of the park just like he did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, great call.
Speaker 2: You know the differences in that type of game with that Red Sox bullpen. I am leaving Pedro in there. This is July seventeenth. He's only made ten starts since coming back from Tommy John surgery.
Speaker 4: Why why do that?
Speaker 2: You could see the guest tank was going low for Garrett Cole, and I think that was just a manager not wanting to have any sort of ill will from his player.
Speaker 11: Oh well, that's not as fun as what I was saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah all right, I feel like it was. Joseph.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the phone call. And look, I know there's a lot of people that call in. I know the way time can be a little bit long, but look, give it a call, give it a try. You never know when you can get through. Let's take one more phone call before we check in with manager. Dave Roberts Andrew and Riverside.
Speaker 4: How you doing. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 13: Dave, great to talk to you man. Never called him, been listened for a while. I just wanted to call in. So yeah, earlier this season, I was trying of hating on him call my buddy. Well, No, earlier this season, I wanted to self report. A couple of my buddies can really testify to that. So, yeah, I just got to apologize to Mookie. He's having a hell of a comeback this this rest of the season. And wanted to know who you wanted for. Who were going for Sunday for the World Cup?
Speaker 4: Oh, man, how can you go against MESSI?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I agree, I agree completely. Uh, I'm going the same way, even though the world seems to be hating on him though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're gonna have it. So how are you going to manage this?
Speaker 2: Andrews Sunday night baseball, Dodgers Yankees, and you got the World Cup starting a little bit earlier? You going to a bar in Riverside. You're gonna watch it at home, split screen TV. How are you going to manage this?
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 13: We might be going out to Dana Point to watch the start of the World Cup and then hopefully catch the rest of the Dodger game after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was I was just in Dana Point for the All Star break. I was at the Monarch Bay Hotel out there. I took the family.
Speaker 13: Oh beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I don't know where exactly we'll be hanging out, but the girlfriends had a friend.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give you.
Speaker 2: Before you go to wherever you're gonna watch the game, I'm giving you a tip right now. Truly Pizza and Dana Point the best pizza you will ever have. I went there, the Chris the chef amazing. I'm telling you, Truly Pizza. Find your way to Truly Pizza in Dana Point.
Speaker 13: Okay, thank you very much. Hey, can I give a quick shout out to my buddy Armando and Nason here in Riverside as well. Last year went up the CEO Tawny pitch three innings in San Francisco. We just travel every year to go see the Dodger. So just shout out to them and we're big fans. Dave, thank you for what you do.
Speaker 2: Man, Hey, thank you, Andrew. Have a great time in Dana Point. That's a great city, all right. I had a chance to catch up with the manager, Dave Roberts. It's the manager's meeting every week, we presented by our friends at Downy Hunday, and we had a chance to dive right in today being a great ambassador at the Midsummer Classic and also the latest on show. Hey O, Tani, Dave, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 3: Oh Dave Man.
Speaker 14: I feel refreshed, recharged, and we certainly do have a lot of great members here at this new Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 2: Some of your players told me not to get too nostalgic, but it's hard not to the last time we were here, I remember before Game five talking to you outside of the doors of the clubhouse and who could forget your trust and Blake trining your trust in Walker Buehler. Do some of those memories start to flood back?
Speaker 3: They do?
Speaker 14: They do, And yeah, you just look back and kind of here and the stanks stakes certainly aren't as high, and kind of going back to what Blake Tryning did, what Walker Bueller did, the mindset of closing these guys out in Game five, the World Series, and how Game five starts so many great memories and it's hard not to be nostalgic.
Speaker 2: One of the images that go through my mind is when you're going out to the mound to get the temperature of Blake trying and Freddie Freeman waving you off, and you just wanted to gauge where everybody was. What stood out to you about leaving trining in.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so I went out there and I just wanted to get his pulse, told him he had one more hitter, wanted to slow the game down, look into his eyes, put my hands on him, and then he gets the hit her out and then at that point in time, I was going to go get him. And then that's when Freddie was kind of like waving me off, shoeing me off. And I'm happy I listened to him, because you know, I said he was going to get one hitter. I didn't want to bait and switch Blake. But at that point in time, he didn't look at me, because if he was going to look at me after he got that hitter, I was going to get him. But and I've talked to him and laugh with Blake after the fact, said I wasn't going to make eye contact with you once I got that guy out because I wanted the next guy and he ended up getting stanned.
Speaker 2: I've never asked you this before, but Daniel Hudson we all know now got hurt warming up in the bullpen that night in Game five. If he doesn't get hurt, does anything change.
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 14: Because to be quite honest, I didn't even know he was hurt. And so it's funny is that as it played out, I stuck with Blake, didn't know Huddy was hurt. Walker was going to have that inning, and then my hope was that Huddy would be the guy if we didn't win it there, but if it would have prolonged the game, I don't know what we would have done.
Speaker 2: To be quite honest, Hey, you bet on your players, like you talk about, and they delivered for you.
Speaker 4: That was a special time.
Speaker 14: No, they did, And I think you know, we all make mistakes and learn from things. And so the one thing that I do know is that you know, you've got to trust your players, bet on your players, certainly in those biggest spots.
Speaker 2: Manager Dave Roberts, three times World Series winning manager for the Dodgers, is our guest, presented by Downy hun Day. All right, let's StAst forward to the here and now. Show heyl Tani's in your starting lineup. When do you anticipate him pitching again.
Speaker 14: Well, right now, he's slated for Wednesday, and so right now it's good that you know he can get here from the break, play catch, we can put eyes on them, see ice progressing. Expecting to be in the lineup all three games. And I should have a bullpen here over the weekend. And like I said, as we sit here right now, he's going to start on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Hey, it works out this first Wednesday. You got a day off on Thursday.
Speaker 3: No, that's right, that's exactly right.
Speaker 14: So you know for show, Hey, you know potentially it's the Wednesday, then you get the off day, so he'll be in a good spot.
Speaker 2: When you look at your team, obviously, it kind of feels like a lifetime ago those last three games at home against Arizona. Do you feel like this is a new start to the season in some respects and whatever took place there was, whatever the feelings we're going into the break.
Speaker 14: I do I think that, and I hate to admit it, but it just did seem like we were sleepwalking a little bit, certainly on the offensive side and the defensive side actually going into the break. And so hopefully, you know, everyone gets up to play the Dodgers. Everyone gets up to play the Yankees. We're on their home turf. Then we go to City Field, which we go and play another good team in the Phillies, and then we go to Flushing and play the metsa city field. So we got a good run of kind of what fans, what media wants. So my expectation is at the floor the quality of play is going to be heightened.
Speaker 2: You were such a great ambassador again for Major League Baseball, not just the Dodgers during the All Star break in Philadelphia. You've been through this a few times now. What was it like this experience?
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 14: I think the game was probably forgettable in the sense that there wasn't a whole lot going on. I was happy with Robo him being able to go to innings. As far as a Dodger fan, the home run derby was fantastic. But for me, as always, it was my fifth go at this with me and my staff, the conversations with the players was fantastic. Spending time with Don Mattingly was great, Ali Marmol was great, and so that's always kind of the best takeaway.
Speaker 2: I know we always talk about oh being around other players and learning and picking from them. But are you starting to get the sense now that players from other teams are coming to you trying to find out what the magic of the Dodgers is.
Speaker 14: I am that is certainly the case where people are courting me and trying to get my ear. You know about certain things, and you know what makes the Dodgers so special. And I think in this game people talk, you know, players talk, coaches talk. Obviously they see the success that we had, so it is fun for me as the opposing or the manager of the NL team to I do get that opportunity to kind of not vet players but get to know them, so when they do become free or you make trades and things like that, you have a little bit more insight and color. But it is interesting, Dave, that people always want to know the what's under the hood or behind the curtain with the Dodgers.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite moments that I saw was somehow, some way Dave Roberts got roped into a photo with all the Cuban players or all this Chapman Randia Rose Arena. How did you find yourself in that situation?
Speaker 3: That was hilarious.
Speaker 14: So they were taking pictures and then Junior Kamenera wanted to take a picture with me, so I said okay, and then they were talking and I go, hey, said, is what they call cubans And so I said, hey, you guys come here, then let's go take a photo.
Speaker 3: And so they all got in there. We were all laughing. It was hilarious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw I saw the video of that.
Speaker 2: I was like, only Dave Roberts can bring these guys together.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 14: But the thing is is that we're all a small fraternity and we're playing a game we get to do and it's bigger than us.
Speaker 3: The game.
Speaker 14: Like I tell my players all the time, Dave Man, the game doesn't need us. It's going to go on with or without us, and we just got to hopefully make our little contribution.
Speaker 2: Well, you've made a big contribution, and you are great for the game. You're a great ambassador for the game. And here's something that this is a fan question that really, you know, turned the light bulb for me. You're one of the few managers that still wears his full uniform. You don't go with a T shirt, you're not putting the hoodie over. Where does that come from? And how much pride do you have to button up that jersey, which we don't really see for managers these days.
Speaker 14: I really appreciate that insight, that that fan noticing that it's intentional. I think that it's my ode to the game, you know, and old manager from Walt Alston to Tommy to the managers well beyond them, and I think it's.
Speaker 3: Something that I look forward to doing.
Speaker 14: Joe Tory did it, and so something for me is like I just feel like if I manage the Los Angeles Dodgers, a certain optics and how I carry myself should come with it. And so I take a lot of pride and wear my uniform every day.
Speaker 2: That's why you're the perfect guy for this job. Before I let you go, let's bring a full circle really quick. I have to ask you this. So we're in your office right now. Do you remember the last moments that you were in this office? After Game five? What do you remember about the last couple of and the last time you walked out of here.
Speaker 14: I remember being drenched in champagne, having goggles on top of my head, my son Cole in this office, and Andrew Brandon Gombs just in here, just chopping it up having a blast like, got my showers on, kind of taking a big exa going. I just cannot believe we just won the World Series. So when I walked down those steps today for batting practice, it's going to kind of be fresh in my mind. You know what transpired, you know, a couple years ago.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for sharing all those memories with us. Great job as always being an ambassador for Major League Baseball at the All Star Game, and we look forward to doing this again next week.
Speaker 4: We'll be back in New York.
Speaker 3: Look forward to it, Dave, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thanks again to Dave Roberts for another great managers meeting presented by Downy Hundai. It was great insight to not only what the Dodgers were thinking, was show hey O'tani what was happening during the All Star break, but also the experience of being the National League manager again for Dave Roberts. So a fun conversation. We do it every week with Dave Roberts. Hope you're enjoying it as well. By the way, O'tani did not have his left knee drained. He had some sort of lubricant injection and he's scheduled as you heard Dave say to pitch Wednesday in Philadelphia, with the day off on Thursday, that'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald here in the Bronx, thanks to calling you back at our Burbank studios, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show. You know where to find it. The iHeartRadio app will be back with you tomorrow and Machine going up against Ryan Weathers four o'clock pregame, first pitch at five oh eight. Once again. The final score tonight from Yankee Stadium. The Dodgers beat Garrett Colin the Yankees two to one. Have a great rest of your night, see your