Speaker 1: We show seven hundred WLW waiting on the White Death but you six to ten maybe is what they're saying.
Speaker 2: Now, we'll see, we'll see, let's say, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Stuff going on in the world. Every week we wait for the Supreme Court to come up with the rulings. They don't tell you ahead of time what they're going to be, what they're gonna be deciding. But three came out this week, and not one of them had to deal with tariffs. And as you may or may not know, these Supreme Courts, probably the busiest under the Trump administration. With these rulings, are going to determine how much flexibility the president has to levy tariffs. And the early indication on this is the Supreme Court is leaning towards disagreement, but that could all change.
Speaker 2: They hold it very close to the vest.
Speaker 1: Obviously, let's bring in Ilias Shapiro on this or the Manhattan inst to Welcome to the morning.
Speaker 3: How are you good morning, Scott?
Speaker 4: Yeah, not quite sure what theory they're going to rest on, but a majority of the justiceses definitely seemed skeptical that, at least under this particular statute, which has never been used for tariffs that the president could do what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the bottom line here, so we saw that at least two of the likely swing by the Conservatives, it be John robertson Justice Barrett Gamy Comy. Barrett indicated that maybe they're not inclined to see Trump's side of this thing. Roberts quote was, the vehicle is in position of taxes on Americans, and that's always been the core power of Congress. Even one of Trump's attorneys admitted, I believe it was attorney admitted that this was a tax. The fact of Texas this undermine the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Congress cannot delegate its power to tax, and presumably that includes the power to tariff, although other statutes that are more narrower have not been challenged in the past, and presidents going back, you know, decades have used it. In fact, the Treasury Secretary Scott Bessett later said, well, the Supreme Court and validates this. We have other ways of accomplishing pretty much the same thing, and that is more or less correct. If the tariff from or targeted, you know, China for national security reasons, other countries for retaliation, or whatever the case might be, there are ways of running a tariff re jream through the executive office, but probably not this particular statue.
Speaker 1: The Solicitor General Sauer read a letter from James Madison that it felt like, as I mentioned, undermined their argument in saying that, well, a tariff is attacks. Has that been overblown that quote or is that something that is going to weigh in the minds of the justices.
Speaker 4: Well, it's all part of the same puzzle. So the first level analysis is the text of this statute, the International Economic Emergency Prevention Act IIPA as it's called, and which lists a whole bunch of things that the president can do in an emergency block embargo, do various but the tax is not listed. And so lawyers, there's a tool of interpretation that says, if you have a big long list and what you want to do is not included, well that's a pretty good indication that that there's no authority for that particular thing.
Speaker 3: So that's especially what Justice Barrett was skeptical about.
Speaker 4: And then beyond that is this constitutional delegation of taxing authority that we just discussed that for example, Justice Gorsich was particularly skeptical about. In Chief Justice Roberts, he just thought of, as you just mentioned, this is a major question of economic significance, and unless Congress speaks explicitly, he's going to be doubtful that the executive can just assume that power.
Speaker 1: Ellie Shapiro, Manhattan Insteed, one of the legal framework questions you're going to hear thrown around during this decision. It's a big one too, because this is a lovely cornerstone of his second administration, the tariffs, and as struck down by the Court, that's certainly going to have implications to the markets and everything else. It's called the Major Questions Doctrine, which I understand is a relatively new piece of judicial framework. Can you explain what it is and how they developed it and wide applies here?
Speaker 4: Apparently I got way ahead of you because that's what I was describing that. You know, that's I was trying to kind of break it down. Yeah, it's called development. This is especially the developed in the last decade or so. When there's a question of major political social economics significance, unless Congress has specified it, they're not going to defer to the executive branch about that. At Chief Justice Roberts, the middle of the Court, Roberts, Barrett Cavanaugh are especially concerned about that, although in this case, Cavanaugh, who's thought as a median vote, seemed to be more towards the government side, more deferential to executive power.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it sounds like jeopardy there. The answer was a question Elly Sapiro at Manhattan Institute on the show This Morning on seven hundred w LW it is it tough to read the tea leaves and saying, well, you know, Justice Amy Coney, Barrett said this, and Justice on Roberts said this, and you go and you start to how often does that turned out to be true? Because their job is to ask probing questions. Is it presumptuous to kind of read into that like we're doing right now?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, my prediction is worth what you're paying for it. And you know, I have a quote unquote expertise. I followed the court. I filed briefs myself. I have written a book about the Supreme Court, Supreme disorder, about judicial nominations and the politics there. You do your best, and the justices in the end can surprise. Oral argument is the tip of the iceberg. It's what we see. But you know, the briefs are important, and the justices discussions and the drafts of the opinions going back and forth.
Speaker 3: So nobody's ever going to give you one hundred percent certainty.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: It wasn't long ago that the court struck down Biden's student loan forgiveness. And does that factor into this is a shadow of the upcoming decision?
Speaker 3: I think it does. I think it does.
Speaker 4: And a lot of commentators have compared it to that and and other ways in which the Court has gone against the executive brands the last couple of presidencies.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, they're they're deferential to a point. Uh.
Speaker 4: And you know that's why the Solicer General, the government's lawyer, kept pressing about that this is a foreign policy issue because the president typically gets more difference from courts on foreign policy national security. But there's this important statute involved. Uh, And you know, just like Biden's reading, his administration's reading of the relevant statute for student loans or for the the vaccine mandate for private employers, the court said that that was stretching the statute, reading into it things that weren't there.
Speaker 3: It seems to be that's what they're going here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we mentioned the Solicitor General tried to distinguish the terrorist and taxes, but you know, the economists and apparently several justices see them as is the same thing. And how does that how does that work with this court and constant social interpretation and also looking at well economic reality, because there's a new study out from a highly regarded think tank been around a long time and said that out of every dollar, American consumers and businesses pay ninety six cents on each dollar for the cost of traff So we have absorbed the cost of the tariffs. Made that change down the line, We don't know, but you know, clearly he's losing support among business owners and the American people because the high cost of goods with the tariffs. You know, the market's obviously watching this very very closely.
Speaker 4: The I mean, the President himself sort of undermines his own case because he brags about all the revenue that's being brought in by the tariffs, and the legal definition of a tax is a legislative action that raises revenue. So you know, I'm even less of a good predictor of the markets, otherwise I'd be helping other than prostitutional lawyer. Right, But it seems like large employers have already large large manufacturers, producers, companies already priced in the cost of the tariffs and pass them along to consumers. That's why these cases have been brought by small businesses. And so how the markets will react, I don't know. Is all of this already priced in? Will getting rid of the tariff? The uncertainty over that, will that harm the markets versus not having this extra tech to liberate the tax liberate the markets.
Speaker 3: That's unclear. Plus there's the remedial points.
Speaker 4: So it's not just that the Supreme Court rules the tariff is invalid and all of a sudden everybody instantly gets a refund. There's a whole big question of how you would you reverse that. Does each company that's paid a tariff have to make a new claim? Do the lower courts have power? Almost certainly, the Supreme Court is not going to enter a remedial order. They're going to leave that remand that back to the lower course to figure out well.
Speaker 1: Even bigger than that, do justices look at the after effects of the decision in that you know, the businesses have already paid these tariffs. What does that what's the refrun process look like, or do we keep their money or do they get to the nuances of that or they just on this decision and let everyone else sort that out after.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a it's a it's a separate issue. There's the issue of remedies and there are you know, the government when when it was asking for a stay of the lower court rule and blocking the tariffs, said oh, well, if we turn out to be wrong, we can always refund the money. So they kind of hurt their own long term interest by by arguing that in the in the short term and theory, in this digital age, everyone has records of who paid what, and you should be able to if there's a court order to for all the customs inspectors and whatnot, to just reverse the charge and you know, make the make the wire go in the other direction, that that should be done. I mean, it's it might be more complicated than certain other things, but it's not an impossible task.
Speaker 1: Hilly Shapiro, Manhattan Institute on the Supreme Court weighing Trump's tariffs right now, and it is it's hanging in the balance.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The early indication seemed that at least a couple of more conservative members of the panel are leaning towards knocking this thing down. But we'll see again as they contemplate this. And there's also the precedent here too. If the court rules against Trump, what does that mean for future presidents or parties or who want to use that executive authority on economic policies.
Speaker 4: That question came up that if we allow this, would a future president be able to declare an international emergency for climate change and therefore tax car companies and other manufacturers that contribute to climate change. And the Socier General said potentially yes. So I don't think that's going to sit very well.
Speaker 1: Gillia Shapiro on from Manhattan Institute on Scoontserland Show, seven hundred WLW. The Supreme Court three cases announced the sweet decisions. Three cases, none of them had to deal with Tariff's. That's kind of the big one we're waiting on right now, simply because we're starting to feel well, we have been feeling the effects of it.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: The researchers caught up with it that American consumers are response for ninety six percent of all the costs passed down to us from this tariff plan. And is it worth the pain that we're seeing. That is what we decide is consumers, But the Supreme Court is said to decide whether that's is entirely legal, and that would be a mess to unravel as well.
Speaker 2: Uh, the early.
Speaker 1: Indications, again going back to what November I believe, are that the Supreme courts some of the questions asked the leans towards knocking this thing down.
Speaker 4: Again, that's the that's the conventional wisdom as we've been discussing. But and there are I think polymarket or some some there there's some way you can bet on court opinions.
Speaker 3: It might be offshore or something like that.
Speaker 4: So you know, that's not not a bad way of checking what the wisdom of clouds might be. But uh, you know, the just like in the NFL, the reason you know, any given Sunday, anything can happen. And so that's why the reason we play these games is you know, they could they could take it in a completely different direction.
Speaker 1: All due respect, but you know, we we often defer to the pundit class. Like for example, Trump is going to you know, Summer is going to strike down gay marriage, and of course they went, now, we're not we're not doing that. And was that a pleasant surprise. Not really, It wasn't a surprise at all that that would that would be almost impossible to do out side of your scope of what we're talking about here. But I think that applies to some degree as well. They're not going to go there. You know, the idea that somehow they're just going to do everything Trump wants to do is it's rather silly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's absolutely right.
Speaker 4: And and there's all these media narratives gend up that this is Trump's court and that's just not true. What they've been ruling is to allow the president to reorganize the executive branch. He's the head of the executive branch. He controls it. When he steps over into violating individual rights or or or stepping into legislative territory, that's when the.
Speaker 3: Administration has taken its losses.
Speaker 4: And they've been strategic about which case is to to bring up to the Supreme Court, which is why they have a very high win rate thus far in the second Trump administration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd be interesting we're all following this case because this is the cornerstone of a second administration, is the tariffs, and you know, it's as we said, it's gonna take a long time. But if the strikes us down, it also gives him cover, I think to politically speaking, if the Supreme Court tries to pull back on his what he's trying to do here, he has now a little bit of cover and excuse going. Well, it would have worked if it wasn't for the damn meddling Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: Like scooby doo, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: And it also there's two economists are correct that the tariff has hurt our.
Speaker 3: Economy, hurt consumers.
Speaker 4: Then you know, then the markets will be up, things will be better economically, while he still gets to rail against these enemies and to help him politically.
Speaker 3: So even if he might not like it.
Speaker 4: It might be beneficial, especially ahead of the midterms.
Speaker 1: Director of con Social Studies and Senior filthy in Manhattan Institute, Ilia Shapiro on this great analysis.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Have a wonderful day, my pleasure.
Speaker 3: Scott.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the court decided three cases.
Speaker 1: This so weak, and I think I saw the next time maybe I want to say right around in the February, maybe like February twentieth. For some reason, six in my mind, their schedule be back on the bench, I believe that day and another round of oral arguments, and so that's when they'll hear the arguments from next opinion. But regardless, we're still waiting for this decision. Supreme Court holds their cars very close to the best and these things we don't know ahead of time what they're going to rule on, if all, we'll find out. So and I know the administration wanted to be a quick decision on this one, and it's been going on since what November, I believe, So yeah, they will do things at their own pace. And to iliash point, everyone thinks that because of the conservative lean of this court that they're all in Trump's pocket.
Speaker 2: It's just simply not true.
Speaker 1: Because every time they rule something you think is God They're just going to give this a Trump and they don't. Then people were shocked and surprised. Well, yeah, the Supreme Court has always been that way. So as we talk about loading the courts and things like that, that's more political than it is reality. If you look at the results of this thing. Certainly they do lead conservative of their decisions, but you know, to the victor belong the spoils. If you're in office and you get to a point a Supreme Court justice, it's a huge win for not only your term but your party.
Speaker 2: That's just how it is. We'll find out how it plays out.
Speaker 1: But I keep getting back that study, and it feels that way that ninety six cents of every dollar is paid for in these terrorists by me and you and business to some degree, it can only absorb the.
Speaker 2: Cost so much.
Speaker 1: That's where you're seeing the price things go up, and inflation being kind of sticky, it ticked down a little bit, and you know, businesses in Wall Street kind of factor that in the future, but doesn't make it easier for us when you go to the store to get some ground beef, make some tacos, and you cringe at the price of you know, just simple ground beef. That is a problem, inflation and tariffs together making everything more expensive.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: We've got news on the way, of course, the big story around around these parts. In the snow that's coming late yesterday, I heard, ah, okay, we feel comfortable maybe in the three to six inch window, and now we're like in the six to ten inch window. And if the storm keeps track of this way, we could, you know, six to ten maybe a moderate guess. At this point, we'll find out what happens. Now it's still yeah, and they've hedged thereabouts. I will give the climate terists a lot of care credits saying, listen, if the warm pushes down or up or wherever the hell of war mare's coming in from, I guess from the south, that's going to cause more sleep less accumulation. It all depends how breaks. We're literally right on that line, as you know in the past. So with each passing hour we get a little bit more clear what that forecast is going to be, because they're extremely accurate when about thirty six hours, thirty six, forty eight hours. But outside of that, it's it's kind of like a crapshoot to some degree, and the further out you are, the bigger crapshoot it is. In this case, though, we're kind of getting close to that window where it looks like it's almost a guarantee. So have the shovels ready, get ready to go. I feel a Kroger run going going on today. People probably tomorrow tomorrow, and be like, okay, we're really getting this Friday's gonna be diverus.
Speaker 2: Get your milk and batteries now to get through those two days.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll get a news update in full, forecast traffic all that, just to havead Scott sloan on this Thursday morning, seven hundred WLW song stills, still's good, sloany here, seven hundred WLW all right, awaiting the White Death. The White Death is imminent here. Typically, don't we rip on the forecasters when they're trying to predict it ten days out and there's no way they can accurately do that, But when you get into the about forty eight hour model and they're pretty damn good, And right now we're getting very close to that window, being pretty close to ninety percent accuracy there. So the winter Star March are looking at six to ten now six to ten and higher snow totals can't be rolled out. It just depends on where this line is moving, you know, fifty miles either way, you still got it. He will get some snow and we'll see how extreme it is. But right now, as it stands, we are going to get blasted, absolutely blasted. Creek Steward at ten oh seven, you may know him. He's I call him like, not a survivalist because I don't know that. That's kind of cringey preparedness guy. He's also with the Weather Channel, so he's a little bit more moderate to that thing. I don't need the guys, the people who are out there waiting for the apocalypse. I'm ready for the I'm ready for it. Like I don't know if I die because the apocalypse has come in good. I don't need to survive bloodthirsty zombies and everything else like nuclear winter, and like, I'm good.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 1: You guys handle that. I'm fine on that. It's my time. It's my time. It's why I look at it.
Speaker 2: Hopefully.
Speaker 1: It's after the AFC NFC games anyway, so Creek is coming up. We'll talk about just preparedness and stuff like that. And you know, what are you gonna do? You we're stuck at home. So today's the day. Tomorrow's a day go to Kroger and load up on your batteries and bread. It's gonna be uh, this stands up. It's gonna be a good few days for you. So it's always good to check that stuff again. You know, you can be extreme about it, but yeah, when you go like, wow, I guess I should have went the stir because I don't have any water, or you know, what do you do if the heat goes out?
Speaker 2: Or something like that. They're good questions.
Speaker 1: He's got answers for you anyway, about a half hour from now, because it is a topical thing, speaking of which, speaking of which, you know, intersecting reality and politics for a second. If Governor Andrew Basher of Texas ran for president, I wouldn't vote for him for one time, for one reason only you go, well, because he's a Democrat.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no, no, not at all. He seems more of a moderate.
Speaker 1: But the reason I would governor be sure, because this guy gets sworn in and it's a non stop chain of emergencies he has to govern. I know he has no control over this stuff. It just it happens. But if that's the kind of luck you're bringing to Kentucky, I don't know about the United States of America. One year ago, Governor Basher declared the state of emergency for the winters storm we had last January, and that very well happened again. If this stands up, I would expect to occur again. But I was thinking of this this morning. I actually had to look it up. Of all the disasters and emergencies that Andy Basheer has presided over through no fault of his own obviously, you know, and the job chooses the man to some degree here. But if that's kind of streaky you bring with you, I'm not quite sure. We work through a lot right now, you go back to it. I mean, he came into office from you know, COVID obviously had to do that. And then we had tornadoes in twenty twenty one, eighty one deaths there and that was in December twenty twenty one. In July twenty twenty two, he had the Eastern Kentucky flooding, another forty five deaths. There was a one in one thousand year rainfall event with over six hundred helicopter rescues. Then in twenty twenty five February last year, we had the Eastern Kentucky floods where twenty two people died. And then in April twenty twenty five we had more flooding and thirteen counties there were affected by this, including McCracken and Mercer.
Speaker 2: And ohen Hardin counties.
Speaker 1: May twenty twenty four, We had tornadoes in western Kentucky in November twenty twenty three, there were the Eastern Kentucky wildfires where he declared a state of emergency on November ninth, right after being re elected. Or you had thirty one active fires burning twenty thousand acres, three hundred plus firefighters deployed across the commonwealth and those are just natural. Then you had the shooting in Louisville in April of twenty twenty three. Five people dead there, so it was a mass casualty event. One of his closest friends and senior vice president the bank was one of the people who died, and he was pretty emotional. Remember that is talking about one of his friends being murdered. Horrible thing for the governor to go through. We had the Baptist church shooting in Lexington, two people killed, three injured there. We had the Kentucky State University shooting happening just last year November, I'm sorry, December, a month ago. He had one student killed in the person critically injured. And of course the Louisville plane crash ups plane going down as well. All of that happening in the Bisher's term. That's a lot going. That's a you know, a couple of those things. Not for anybody. It was like a steady drumbeat. I'm just some people just draw that. I don't know what it is, had why it's all happening on his watch, but that go damn. So I'm ready for another Andy Bsheer press conference where he's wearing the you know, they wear that jacket, it says Governor Andy b Sheer, and then they've got like the the I don't know what is that, the security logo or the Department of Oh my god, the OMG logo on it. The governors have that jacket in their arsenal. I'm wonder how much they travel with those. The wine has it too, So if it's you know, if it's a very serious thing, they've got that, they've got the it's like a lightweight. This time of year, you think you'd want a big I don't know, like the north Face parka with the logo on it. But it's like the little jacket. It's like the jacket the president has on Air Force one. You know, Trump has that jacket, says you know, President Trump whatever, and then the presidential seal on it. It's the only time they really have that jacket I put my I got I got a jacket for this. Actually, like my wife Michelle, she's got jacket for everything. I got a jacket for that. Going to a random I don't know, nk U Norse game, I got a coat. What got a hat for that? I got a hat. We're good, We're good. I'm gonna have to ask her about this. I just saw this online. She's on eleven thirty this morning TV show Houses the famous to you think of the famous houses from TV shows. For the first time in almost fifty years, the Fresh Prince of bel Air Mansion is now for sale thirty million dollars.
Speaker 2: And I didn't know this.
Speaker 1: It's actually about two blocks away from where OJ didn't kill his wife in Brentwood, California. It was built nineteen thirty seven, six bedrooms, seven and a half bath, ten thousand square feet. It's a corner lot and the lot itself is about forty thousand square feet.
Speaker 2: That's pretty big.
Speaker 1: And it's actually I guess the footprint is a little smaller than the Banks family home from the show and that one's said. I have ten bedrooms and four and a half bathrooms, but that's a pretty sonsable state. They're thirty mil for that bad boy, thirty mil, which I think up to this point has been AIRBNBD.
Speaker 2: I think it was like a verbo.
Speaker 1: You could actually stay in the Fresh Prince House, the French Prince Mansion, I should say. I'm not sure if that includes the Stinky Cabby or not. I have no idea. It's like the folks here in Sincey where they had the Seinfeld apartment that they rent. I think that's that's still fantas. The Friend's apartment and the Seinfeld department.
Speaker 2: They still have those.
Speaker 1: It's a couple of years ago, I'm sure they do, probably making good bank off that. You gotta have a gimmick. You got to have a hook, as Blues Traveler said, it's the hook that brings you back. Also happening today the House Oversight Committee moving forward with the impeachment. I don't know what's going on. It's hard to say. Someone called it impeachment yesterday. I think that's quite right because you're no longer president. But I've just called the prosecution bill bill and Hillary Clinton for condemned to Congress, and this is over the Epstein files, and you know they subpoened him to testify and he said, I'll send you a letter instead, And it harkens back to the ODA when he was in office. Even it's a dancing or you're a lawyer kind of know what the law is. You know, if they say you've got to you gotta testify, you gotta testify, you can show up and you do that. And I think when you know nearly half of the Democrats on the Oversight Committee voted with the Republicans on this one, which shocked a lot of people, including the leader, to hold them in contemptive congress. I think there's I think that's a smart move, putting politics aside.
Speaker 3: Go.
Speaker 2: No, we want, we want answers.
Speaker 1: Back to yesterday, we're we're talking a little bit about the guy I'm talking to this with Julie blockare crusher about the dude who was protesting protesting he yelled pedophile protector the president at in Detroit when he present was touring a auto factor there and UW workers suspended for that. So I was a job topic. But you know, same thing. It's like people want answers with this, We we don't want. Ah, there's nothing to see here. We're going to have this big exposa and then you have this report and everything and what's in there A nothing? Yeah, well you're going to release that. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, no, no, we're not gonna And then enough people were outraged by this, like okay, yeah, we're going to release stuff, and now the DJ is like, well, we're just going to redact pretty much everything other than pretty much only thing left our conjunction, you know, And there's a lot of hands here. I don't see any names, any details. Yeah, well, at some point you really have to release that information. That's your campaign on. Let's do it. But and I get why Clinton's fighting because he feels he's a Democrat, He's the one getting There's a lot of Republicans there too, So it looks like, I don't know, it looks like all the wealthy, rich people who are both on the left and the right, and a much of other famous folks supporting either party seem to be swept up in this. And so if you have the reports out, it seems I don't think it's issue had that it's national security. That's what Nixon tried with Watergate, and it wasn't. It was just like we're breaking into this place because of the Pentagon papers, and we want to find out about the guy Daniel Olsberg who wrote the Pentagon papers and get dirt on him. And he's saying, Okay, that's not national security, that's an election. That's you trying to get elected or reelected, as the case may be. So I don't think it applies here too way, way too broad. Anyway, we'll find out what happens with Bill Clinton on a Second Amendment kind of topic here. I think this is small, but I think it's important. A lot of people are like, oh my god, here we go to the courts. This is the worst thing ever, just to show you we're going to protect these cop killers, which are cops anyway, that are killing people. And I think this is going to give the folks, i'd imagine in Minnesota a lot more ammunition to use against ice to see.
Speaker 6: How they do.
Speaker 1: They just protect the cops, they protect, you know, the fin blue line of the courts, and it's all a conspiracy to protect bad cops. I'm talking, of course about Uvalde, Texas and Adrian Gonzalez. He was a cop who delayed his response in the rob Elementary School shooting back in May of twenty twenty two in Uvaldi, and after one hour of deliberations, the jury returned innoculate guilty verdict on all twenty nine counts of child and days. Remember his response was it was you know, took seventy seven minutes for law enforcement could counter assault the shooter in which nineteen students and two teachers were killed.
Speaker 2: And you know that, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure today, well, they got to get the protest done because it's going to snow. This is one thing to shut the protest down is sub zero temperatures in a blizzard. That'll do it. You've got to be really dedicated to be out there protesting in this kind of weather. But relative to Uvaldi, I look at that went so, what they're saying is this is going to be an indictment against police again right now. Now what they're saying is police officers really don't have a duty to help you. That's what I took out of that, going okay, and we've seen the court's side with that before, going yeah, really the cops just kind of show up and it happened in Florida.
Speaker 2: Too, like yeah, you know, we're really not we really don't.
Speaker 1: Have to protect you. I mean, that's kind of our modoling is what we do. But how far are you willing to go risk your neck when you got a lot of shooter in there and little backup, and so we need a plan. And I get it, I get it. But if this, if people are using this to go and essentially denounce law enforcement, I don't look at it that. I look at this as going at the end of the day, it's up you to protect you. Another way to examine this is taking the segment of an entirely and go, Okay, we have what six to ten to twelve or more or inches of snow coming in this weekend. We've seen that's certainly not a natural disaster. But we've seen natural disaster in the past where people expect the state, the government to show up and rescue us immediately. You know, flash floods and the light come to my hurricanes come to mind, things like that, Well, where the hell are that they should be here? Like, No, that's not how this works. It takes time for people to do things, especially the government. Music glacial speeds. The first few days, it's incumbent upon you to make sure you can take care of you and maybe if you have enough to take care of those around your neighbors.
Speaker 2: Et cetera.
Speaker 1: Right, so when disaster hits, you know, we have to see these commercials and we see presidents. I mentioned Bashir with his governor's tragedy, his tragedy slash emergency jacket that he wears that all governors have. But it takes time to mobilizing all that stuff in. You know, for the first few hours, for a few days, you may have to take care of yourself. And it gets back to that central tenant. We can't farm all that stuff up. I think people expect law enforcement to be there when the bad guys are there. Sometimes they get lucky and apprehend them in the act. Sometimes they get lucky and stop them before something bad happens. But all too often, almost exclusively, they respond to tragedies that already occurred and then try to investigate and find out and bring to justice those responsible. To be proactive and stopping serious crime is shooting an example, extremely rare. You know, we need a lot more police officers and investigators to do that. The fear you have Cincinnati, you just simply respond from run to run to run, and there's no time to be proactive. It's all reactive if you don't have enough police officers, if you don't have enough investigators. And so, I mean a lesson from Uvalde to me is that not everything is preventable. We're not going to be able to stop all bad guys. We're just not going to am I saying we should accept young kids from dying. No, But I think what's reasonable, though, is to try and mitigate that, to try and reduce that as much possible. And certainly mental health comes into that. Gun's come into that, policy comes into that. Human nature comes in that as well. You know, leaving the doors propped open, her door is unlocked or broken, lot, whatever it might be. There's only so many doors you can put up. If someone is hell bent on committing a mass casual event like this, they're going to find a way around that security. There's just no doubt about it. Literally, the only way you can protect yourself. The thin line is, and we did this in Ohio not long ago, is that like we allow teachers to carry guns. Now, we've had that law in Ohio for a long time, and you know what tells me it works is the fact we haven't had one occurrence where a teacher who is armed in a school has allowed the weapon the fall in the hands of a kid and shoot someone. I think there's been some cases where the kid has discovered the gun and the like and nothing bad happened. But you know, the idea was these teachers are going to bring guns in school to start shooting their own students for day. It's like pilots. We can't ar on pilots. Why well, because they may take hostages. They're the ones lie in the plane. They already have you hostage. They don't need a gun. AKA died eleven right. Uh, they could do these things if they want. There's been cases in history where the pilots have taken a plane and flown to another country with it. It's like, I'm the pilot. I could do what the hell I wanted to. I don't need a gun to do this. And so you know, and as someone who's are at pro Secondmendment, I see it that way. I see this Uvaldi thing is you know, the officer didn't respond. He's a coward. And I'd say it is like again, cops look at this and go, here's how much money I make? And I know I took an oath, but how far am I willing to go? And some you know, sometimes you have heroes are willing to put their put their bodies in the way of others harming and that that's why they're That's why you know, we should use that word hero very restrictively because I think that's thrown around too much. But when someone does that, you know, a teacher, for example, well taking a bullet for their student, that's a hero, right, But should have come to that And you know, the the the idea that we don't allow teachers arm themselves. I mean, this is more evidence of that to me. Instead of going we got to get rid of the gun that the problem is the guns. We get rid of the guns. We're not gonna do that. We've got too many and too many people that use them responsibly, that's the problem. And when they're irresponsible, I think sometimes we don't go far enough. And there's another case out there you may have heard today that involves an eleven year old kid from Pennsylvania who his dad took away his Nintendo switch, told him to go to bed, and the kid came in his bedroom and put a bullet in his head and.
Speaker 2: Go my god, that's horrible.
Speaker 1: I don't know if eleven year at that age were making good decisions and going I'm just mad at my dad instead of just you know, yelling at him or throwing a tantrum. I shot him. Fortunately, that's extremely rare, and that's why this made news. But how is how does an eleven year old kid have access to a weapon like that? You know, that's not the gun. That is a decision of a parent to leave it where an unloaded weapon or a loaded weapon is in grasp an eleven year old kid. I may teach an eleven year old kid the basics about hunting or target shooting, but I'm gonna let nothing them have free access to a gun. Sorry, So you know, don't cloud the argument with things like that. Got to get a news update when a return of the show Creek Stewardess here I mentioned we are experiencing the White Death is coming in six to ten twelve, we may get fourteen feet of snow. How do you navigate through all that stuff if indeed we have a natural disaster? I mentioned Andy Basheer, And if you live in Kentucky especially, maybe you want to look because we've got a streak down there. You may want to listen to this next segment coming up. He's with the Weather Channel and is a influencer in the realm of well survival. But I think it's more about just being prepared preparedness, let's call it that. Right after news update full fourcast seconds away on the Home of the Red seven hundred w WT Cincinnati, What is up, friend, Scott Slim Show, seven hundred w LW. As we get ready for you know what, the white death is coming? Driving in the driving this morning, completely clear by the way, and I saw people driving like there was snow on the ground already. I saw one person with their flashers on. Maybe they're having some sort of medical or auto emergency. I don't know, but that is preparing. I'm getting ready to drive like a knucklehead. The storm is going to be latest models, fry. I think there's like an American and European model on this one. I tend to like the American models a little bit, a little bit bustier. Wait what what so catch Mark is over nine is saying that like six to ten inches right now, and as we get closer to Saturday, which you're fairly closer right now inside that twenty four to thirty six hour window. You're pretty they're pretty dead on accurate know what's going to happen at this point. So we're expect in six to ten right now, and of course sub zero temperatures as well. It is a snow crisis. The white Death is here in Cincinnati. And when you roll home and Jim Cantore is set up on your front lawn, damn it.
Speaker 2: You know it's bad our old.
Speaker 1: Buddy Craig Stewart back on the show this morning from the aforementioned Weather Channel, and he's a preparedness influenced, revival influencer.
Speaker 2: Creek what do you know, Well.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 7: That sounds like an end of the world type. So it's always a good idea to carry an emergency kit in your car for a variety events in the Midwest. Snow is obviously a huge concern, huge here. Maybe not so much one inch, but it happened, and there are there are backups, and you know, we just saw where was it in Virginia? Yeah, High ninety five right, yeah, yeah, that was a.
Speaker 2: Couple of years ago. But still that's crazy though.
Speaker 3: Who would have.
Speaker 7: Thought that would have ever happened.
Speaker 1: So, but again, didn't they get like a couple of feet of snow ten inches of snow and it hit suddenly and it was like four or five inches an hour. I know in the Northeast, you know they got a couple of feet of snow in some spots maybe where you are. But you know, in Cincinnati, Ohio, we get like five six inches of snow. That's a huge weather event for us. And it's not like we live in Atlanta or Dallas or Memphis. In Cincinnati, we do get snow. We get several inches of snow a year. But but when we watched the people on TV doing live reports from the Salt Dome and talk about making sure you've got bottled water and snacks with you in a blanket, and make sure your cell phones charged, it's it's in They're forecasting maybe two inches of snow. It's a little bit daclobs. Don't people then tend to go, you know what, what, am I stupid? I don't need to bring bottled water and snacks with me if there's two inches of snow on the highway, if I'm traveling in the off country or I'm in Maysville, Kentucky on a roller road, maybe if they're getting seven inches of snow. But you know, in Cincinnati, inside the belt Wave, we're getting two inches. You're not gonna die and be stranded in two inches of snow. It's just it's not gonna happen. Or either that or the world's worst driver. And I think that Darwin is calling the herd if that's the case.
Speaker 6: Yeah, who knows.
Speaker 7: But regardless of how much snow might be coming, it's always a great idea to have an emergency kit in your car with some with some extra clothes, some walking shoes that may not be your work shoes, and some power bars, some snack bars, just really common sense type, just really common sense type stuff for a vehicle. Now, being being trapped in your house or for an uncertain amount of time, now that's a whole different conversation all together with an entirely unique set of UH preparedness steps from food to heating and water and ways to manage sanitation and everything. So, you know, being trapped in your car and being being stuck at home for a while are two certainly different circumstances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so with a storm, we're going to have ice you're gonna have a little snow, and if you're out and your driving, maybe you get stuck. We've seen this before, though, people getting trapped in their cars. I think you mentioned that thing out in Virginia not long ago, where people are stuck in their car for ten fifteen hours at a time. I mean, you know, I look at the first ten hours as bonus time away from my wife, like a little vacation. After that, maybe I get a little bit bored. But you know, I figure I got my phone, I probably got a charger. Hopefully I got a full tank of gas. What's the strategy. Let's say you're stuck somewhere and you got a quarter tank of gas?
Speaker 2: What should you do? How do you preserve that?
Speaker 1: Because you got to worry about heat, but you also don't want to run a gas well.
Speaker 7: In cold weather environments. You definitely want to run that run that run that vehicle intermittently throughout the you know, throughout the time that you might be stuck, and that is probably when you would be tapping into some of those preps that you made in your vehicle ahead of time. And I can guarantee you one thing that every single person in stuff on that I ninety five situation. They all none of them ever thought in a million years that that would happen, but it did. And that's and that's the and that's the common theme that I think is the big takeaway is that you know, so oftentimes disasters strike to people who who never saw them coming. And the fact of the matter is is that they happen all the time to to people all over, in all walks of life, in every in every state, and every circumstance, and it's just it's just a reality in our lives these days. You can you know, I have a saying that it's not if, but when you're going to be faced with natural disaster one day, and and I believe.
Speaker 3: That to be true.
Speaker 1: Kreik Stewards on the show Creek is with the Weather Channel and the author of the disaster Ready Home, a step by step emergency for pared orniessmantle for sheltering in place now generally in the Midwest. That's why I love living in Cincinnati. When we talk about maybe weather events, the biggest thing we got to worry about is an inch or two of snow, but mainly tornadoes.
Speaker 2: There's really not you can do.
Speaker 1: You know, we talk about hurricane disaster preparedness or you know, living off the grid or something like that. Those aren't your wildfires, man. But you know, in the event of a tornado, there's not a lot you can There's nothing you can do to prepare a head for that, can you, Because if you get your house gets hit by a tornado, that kit that you made is probably gone.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're right as far as the tornado goes. And that and that would be a circumstance where you'd really be leaning in on what's called a bug out bag, which is a seventy two hour disaster survival kit that you would grab in the event of an evacuation. And people use bug out bags and disaster survival kits all the time when they have to evacuate. And so we think about the same type of supplies in a bug out bag that we might have in our home, but only on a smaller scale. So we want to be able to last for three days if we absolutely had to. So we want all the food, water, and tools and supplies and important paperwork, especially in tornado territory, you want to make sure that you've got your important papers especially ready to grab to put into your bug out bag, because if something does happen to your home, whether it's a wildfire or a tornado, and you lose all of those important documents, it becomes exponentially more difficult to.
Speaker 3: Put your life back together.
Speaker 7: Interesting, So just that one step alone, grabbing those important documents and stuffing them into your bug out bag last minute in the event of an evacuation, can make a huge difference in your life should.
Speaker 3: Something like that happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Cash probably that medics whatever, you know, your prescriptions, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: But most people don't think that.
Speaker 1: I remember right after nine to eleven, that was the fear that you know, people were hoarding things like plastic sheeting and tape and having a safe room and getting their bug out bag, writing all this stuff, and then we kind of lost interest because we never think it's going to happen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I mean I think I think that's a common that's a common mentality with you know, most people who experience a disaster is you know, it's never going to happen to me, but but it does, you know, it does. It's just it's the reality. And when I talk about disaster, Scott, you know, I'm talking about the ones that actually happened on a regular basis. You know, I'm not talking about Yellowstone explosion or an alien in baigion or anything like that. You know, I'm talking about the real.
Speaker 1: Stuff that happened, which is which is why I'm having you on Creek Stewart because you know, I mean, it's not like, you know, you're a you know, end of the world apocalyptic survivalist kind of guy. Right where you're you're preparing for armageddon, nuclear winter. You know, the kind of people that listen to Bill cunningham Sunday Night Show here on seven hundred WRW, or they're buying pounds of gold and fifty five gallon drums of freeze dried line of beans for the for the apocalypse because they want to survive the apocalypse. And then you look at the people who do that and I go, I don't know if you're you're gonna be a good representation of breeding in the kind of people. I'm just going to die when it when it comes. I don't really care too much about fifty five gallon drums. If I'm gonna eat, if I'm going to need nothing but a diet of purified water and line of beans and sitting on piles of gold. Uh, so that I can emerge like a like a cockroach from the end times. I don't know if I want to be the person replicating society. I'll be honest with you. I don't think I want to live through that. I'm good to check out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So it's definitely a lot more practical approach to to think about the disasters that actually happen and and some of those disasters do keep us inside for at least a short period of time, and being prepared, being prepared to deal with those circumstances from food and water and heating and you know, off grid cooking and uh, dealing with human waste for at least a short period of time a few days, possibly even a few weeks. I mean this day and age, having those pressed in place is no longer a conversation that he had in the basement amongst preppers, I mean, especially since this whole pandemic popped off the past couple of years. You know, this is a conversation that you know, you're really average person is having, Like it made a lot of people really think about, you know, do I have the things at home that I need at home.
Speaker 3: Should I have to.
Speaker 5: You know, thin for myself for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you bring up an interesting point too, because you talk about, you know, you need you need air, you need heat, you need water, you all these things.
Speaker 2: You need food and then you're good.
Speaker 1: No one ever, when they're hunkered down in their end of the world bunker creek Stewart, I've never seen them worry about the biggest problem with that, and that is human waste. Dealing with the human waste problem right there, because I think you'll agree with me. You can only hold it for so long, you know, I mean, And I think by the way you talk about muscle building this time of year, I'm gonna get on a plan, go to the gym, workout, build my biceps, triceps, lats, all those things. I think the sphincter is the most underrated muscle the whole body.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 7: Well, let me solve that problem for you once and for all. It's going to cost you about twenty bucks. Okay, You're going to go to your local hardware store and grab a five gallon bucket, and then on Amazon you're going to order a snap on five gallon bucket toilet seats for about fifteen dollars, and then you're going to go to your local hardware store, your local wood shop, and after the leftover saw dust four in about one inch of saw dust in the bottom of that bucket, go number one and number two right on top, and when you're done, cover it back up with sawdust about another inch or so, and that bucket's going to slowly filled up, and once it gets to the top, you just put a solid lid on top, slide it over in the corner of your shed or your yard, and in a couple of months that is going to be one hundred percent composted.
Speaker 3: Humaneure.
Speaker 7: That simple solution right there can safely contain and deal with humid waste that otherwise could potentially be a very dangerous scenario if you're trapped at home for an uncertain period of time.
Speaker 1: Even with the sawdust an inch or to of sawdust on top of your number one and number two, are there unpleasant odors that arise even if the uplid is locked down. Un Let's say, next time you go, does it smell like sawdust or worse?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 7: It is shocking how the sawdust will trap any of those odors inside. It is not a disgusting operation. It is not stinky. It is surprisingly clean and effective. Composting toilets have been used for gezo I mean hunt thousands of years a different parts of the world, and quite frankly, you'll probably wonder why in the world did we move the flush toilet to begin with.
Speaker 2: That's a good I mean, that's a that's an interesting premise.
Speaker 1: However, the problem with that, though, is you know you could do it every once in a while. Now I have a wood shop and I do, and I know what you're talking about with the sawdust, because when you know, the first thing you learn in first grade, when you know, I don't know when when a little bosifis yacts up your spoiled milk that he drank on a dare and if the janitor comes and thrust through sawdust on it, and it like takes care of everything the smell, I wipe it up. Everything is good. The fact of the matter is that the five gallon bucket, though, is too low to the ground for people of a certain age to be able to get down and get back up again. We need taller five gallon buckets, don't.
Speaker 7: You think, Yeah, well, you know what, I've got a solution for that too. They make those kind of bold out potty chairs nice and you can actually just fold.
Speaker 3: One of those five gallon bucket.
Speaker 7: It's gonna you know, it's gonna be a it's gonna break the bank for about forty five dollars instead of twenty not bad.
Speaker 1: How much food and water you should you should the average I'm not talking here in Cincinnati, OHI. I'm not talking about some god forsaken place like uh, Sri Lanka or the plains of Africa or Pittsburgh. I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio, Creek Stewart, so, uh, you know this isn't in the far off regions. I got I have stuff accessible. That said, how much stuff do I need to have around just in case? I mean, so, we got significant amount of snow, we got ice, we got some zero temperatures. That's all in play. But what do I need like a day's where of stuff? Yeah, I already bought all the milk and Branda Kroger.
Speaker 5: So well, it's a great question.
Speaker 7: So FEMA recommends two weeks, and I believe that's an absolute bare minimum of two weeks worth of food. So there's a popular phrase that America is about nine meals away from anarchy, and what that means is that your average American has about nine meals worth of food in their home right now, and it's just not enough. So two weeks absolute minimum. I'd like to see most people be prepared with around a month's worth of backup food and water. And I can give you some really great pointers for getting there where you don't have to change your lifestyle. It's very simple and really really easy on the budget.
Speaker 2: All right, So real quick, how do you do? What are you talking about?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 7: So with the food department, you make a list of your top twenty the top ten or twenty items that you eat all the time, okay, and you want to make sure these items have a shelf life of about one to three years. So we're looking at the items on the inner aisles of grocery stores. So can goods, dried pastas, box meals. And when you get that lift, you want to on your next trip to the grocery store, you want to buy a few extra items of those items on that lift, and you want to do that every time you go to the grocery store. And so over the course of five or six trips to the grocery store, you are beginning to build what we call long term food storage pantry. It's going to put those items in a closet or on a shelf in the basement, or in an extra room, and as you run out of them in the kitchen, because you know you already eat them, you're going to just.
Speaker 3: Pull those in.
Speaker 7: It's called rotation. Rotation from our long term food storage pantry, and that's the easiest way to build up two weeks, three weeks, one month worth of food that you know you're gonna eat.
Speaker 1: Pretty easy. Yeah, you just rotate it down. New stock goes to the basement and in the front of the line goes upstairs.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, okay, I got it.
Speaker 7: Got and you you eat, you buy it, you store what you eat, and you eat what you store. Versus this idea of going to the grocery store and stocking up on something because it's on sale, and then you just end up with a big shelf full of limejello that is just.
Speaker 3: Gonna go away.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What about water? What about drinking?
Speaker 1: I mean, you got enough if you had to, you can drink water from the tank, not the bowl, but the tank of your toilet, there's a couple of gallons there, depending on how many toilets you have, plus the pipes in the house another maybe five gallons.
Speaker 2: So you got more water than you think.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right, But we want we want a real plan in place. So the first thing people need to understand is that the average American uses over eighty gallons of water per day. Okay, that's a lot of We are very dependent on water in all facets of our lives.
Speaker 3: So the very.
Speaker 7: Minimum that you want to be able to get away with is two gallons of water per person per day, and you want to have that in fresh storage, whether it's bottled water or gall judge, you want to have two gallons per person per day to get you through about two weeks. Okay, it's a little unrealistic for most people to store more water than that. Okay, if you buy the water at a grocery store, it's going to have a shelf life of up to five years, so you don't have to worry about it going bad anytime soon. Just put it away and forget about it, just.
Speaker 3: In case you ever use it.
Speaker 7: But on top of fresh water storage, so that's super simple.
Speaker 3: Anybody can do that.
Speaker 7: On top of fresh water storage, you want to have a filter in place. The one I recommend is called a big burkie. It is a gravity fed filter that will solve all of the problems you could ever think of when it comes to bad things in water. Bacteria, protozoon syss viruses, chlorine, plastics, you know anything. You can imagine the thin water you're that big burkey's going to filter it out. And so if you have a filter, then there's a lot of water down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, there's all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 7: I mean, heck, you could go to the Ohio River and pour it into your big burkey and it would be totally clean to drink coming out the other side. So investing in a filter not only for daily use. I mean heck, you'd be shocked if you knew what was in your.
Speaker 2: Oh I believe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know a lot of people use the Brita filter even though we got city water.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Kreik Stewart is on the Weather Channels a host. It's been on many shows too as well, obviously, and has a book called The Disaster Ready Home, a step by step emergency preparedness Manual for sheltering in place. This conversation began with when the forecasters give you the one inch of snow and tell you to have an emergency blanket and food and water in your car and first aid kid and a fire starter kit with an axe and a gun in case that inch of snow and you're stuck on it all off of Rybolt Road. You're seventy four something like that, and acting as if you're driving through the wilderness like it's a Jeep commercial or something like that. You know, chances are you don't need a gun and a survival kit, but again, fore warned is four arm Creek All the best, good luck with the book.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming on the show. I appreciate you.
Speaker 8: Hey, thanks s good.
Speaker 7: Appreciate the opportunity.
Speaker 3: Man right.
Speaker 1: I always love having you back on specially Jerseys weather events like this. Now you're not getting an inch of snow, We're getting what's maybe six to twelve, who knows six to ten? Anyway, good news. This happens on a weekend, so chance of being stuck in your car on the side of the road. I was looking it up as he was finishing there, because I couldn't remember a year it was. We were talking about the I ninety five thing that was in Virgil Fredericksburg, virgin in January twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: So four years ago I fellt like two years ago.
Speaker 1: People are stuck there for like thirty hours because they've got snow seven to fourteen inches and it came down a lot harder and a lot faster than they thought it did, so a lot of people were stuck. And I remember growing up in western New York when the big blizzard hit in seventy seven, people were actually died in their cars. So not that we're expecting that here because I know we've got a lot more information and also contacting people is a lot easier today than it was then. But nonetheless, just some information to keeping the back of your head, hopefully you never have to use it anyway. Full forecast update is looking more like reality here. This big storm we're going to get starting on Saturday. All that and more just ahead on seven hundred wls golbody here.
Speaker 2: On seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 1: Boy, if there's a weekend you ever gonna need more calories, it's going to be this one, because you go be out shoveling.
Speaker 2: A little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 1: Every Thursday morning we bring in son Jay Shavacrimani, eer physician but also an expert in fitness and health, and he's our guy we talked to every Thursday about those things.
Speaker 2: Good morning, how are you. It's been a minute. How's your vacation. Vacation was good, Sloan.
Speaker 9: It was ninety degrees every day over in Vietnam, and you know, pretty much the same here. So I was working on my shoveling skills over there.
Speaker 1: I bet you were ninety degrees. It's really it's pretty hot over That's a bucket. Let's kind of play were you there?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I'm watching this mini series that Ken Burns thing catching up, but I'm halfway through it on the Vietnam War. Don't tell me how that ends, because right now it seems like it's going okay because the generals are saying Wes Moreland says everything's good. So don't don't don't ruin it for me. Let's jump into this this morning on the show. And we have new federal dietary guidelines coming out from our FK Junior that bumps protein up to the top of the list. And we also have full fat milk coming back to schools, and we got rid of full fat milk. And of course the I guess the anti Trump crowd and everything's political these days, even food now of all things are angry as we're gonna you know, we're gonna kill more Americans. But I don't know if I totally agree with that thing. Let's let's start. Let's start with the milk thing before I look at the whole pyramid, because that is the latest information we have out here.
Speaker 2: So whole milk is back.
Speaker 1: New guide, dietary guidelines for the next five years four years anyway, recommend full three servings of full fat every day and they're going to serve whole and two percent milk at school.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: That reverses the Obama area low fat restrictions, which is like learning more about fat. Fat used to be the worst thing ever, right, And remember when like snack Whales came out, I was like fat free, everything's fat free, but they just loaded up with sugar. So it's your training one bad thing for another exactly.
Speaker 9: And that's that's what a lot of the research has looked at is you know, it's not just eliminating one thing, it's what you do to replace it. And so a lot of the effects that we're seeing are negative by by reducing fat. I mean, certainly there's a lot of benefit to it, but it all depends on what you're substituting with.
Speaker 1: Right, There's been what is the benefit of the fat? I think for one? For me anyway, it seems like it's sat shade, it's satisfied.
Speaker 9: That's a huge say it, right, I mean, you know, there there are a ton if we're just going to talk about eating. Yeah, I mean, if you're if you're drinking skim milk, it's I don't enjoy it?
Speaker 5: Do you?
Speaker 2: Do you like skim You know? I'm I'm a two percent guy.
Speaker 9: Same And the thing about skim milk is it's like water, and after I drink it, I'm like, I still need something substantial, So I probably eat some snacks after it too.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 9: The nice thing about you know, the higher percentage fat milks is that you don't have to eat something afterwards. You may be more satiated, you may be more full, right, and so you're not kind of taking more calories in after that.
Speaker 2: That's one big thing, right.
Speaker 1: Right, And there's a sense to that too. It it's somebod. The whole milk, it just tastes better. I remember one time we were I was backpacking, right, and we got done, like the only thing they had was whole milk in the cafeteria, and I crushed like five.
Speaker 2: It was like the best tasting milk ever.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, it's just like something about whole milk. But you don't need a lot of it. It's it's it's so rich and satisfies you your your taste, Budge, there's a trigger inside he says, Okay, you're good on the fat and the milk.
Speaker 2: That's all you need. Need a little bit. You don't need a half gallon.
Speaker 9: No, you don't. And and the thing is, it's to your point. It tastes good. And milk consumption's actually gone down markedly in the last fifty years, so like since the seventies, it's gone down like fifty percent as far as people drinking. It's probably because we've switched to lower fat and you know, health concerns for sure, but there is definitely a decrease in milk consumption since all the warning started coming out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sign you on top of that, I think back to eggs, right, egg o, tony, Oh, cholesterol, And now we're like, well eat eggs.
Speaker 9: Well yeah, and that's the it's cholesterol one for you, right, it is good for you.
Speaker 2: You need some.
Speaker 9: I mean, everything's good in modern but it's just like everything else, we keep learning more and more. And I'll tell you when I was going through med school, it was saturated fats are the devil, you know, and it's just a black and white that's given to you. And there are a ton of shades of gray in this and as we learn more, we're introducing more shades of gray. But we're also getting more clarification about why some people have good effects with things and other people don't.
Speaker 1: Oh well that's the other You don't know till you get a diagnosis, right, if your body tolerates it exactly.
Speaker 9: And so you know, as much research as we do, everybody's an individual body is also going to react differently. But we are seeing larger population things that that are speaking to saturated fats and what effects are good and what effects are bad and who it's good for. And that's where this milk change came from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, so I think the research said that dairy fat may be at worst neutral, Is that an accurate assessment in your opinion?
Speaker 9: Yeah, at worst neutral is confusing a bunch of words.
Speaker 2: But so the worst thing is the worst thing it happened for is nothing?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 3: Essentially?
Speaker 9: I mean, that's what we're seeing right now, and I'll always qualify things with that as far as findings in the literature, things are always bound to change, just like our two glasses of wine good or one glass of wine good. It's the same thing with this, but it's it's evolving. And so what we're learning is that dairy saturated fats, so the saturated fats that are included in things like yogurt, in milk and cheese, those are kind of they behave differently in our bodies, both with the absorption and what they do in our bodies, and so they have a different effect in our bodies than the saturated fats that we take in from meats and other things that have been demonized for so long.
Speaker 1: All right, so I'm still confused by this, Sanjay, Can I still have a whole stick of butter for lunch?
Speaker 9: You can have two sloan but no one else, no one else listening can But I don't see.
Speaker 1: The whole Butter tastes great and bread whatever it is like it just you know, margarine and we've got this this avocado oil butter and stuff like.
Speaker 2: Just have a little bit of butter.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so we'll be we'll be at the pyramid in a little bit, or at least the new guidelines right that butter. There's a picture of butter right in that triangle. And so you know, butter is fine to a certain amount, and again everything is good in moderation. It is not you know, butter is classified as dairy, but it's not the dairy we're talking about here with the really healthy saturated fats that will that could potentially improve your health. So again it's the yogurt, it's the cheese, it's the milk. Those those saturated fats in there maybe beneficial to health. And that's what we're seeing in a bunch of studies in the last.
Speaker 1: Decade, Wow, that it's actually good for you so or versus twenty something years of science that we thought, oh, it's all bad for you.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like the meat debate, you know, and the environment and all will get to that in a second. But when they rolled out impossible burgers and you try that, you go, oh, what actually tastes because in the past, like, yeah, that tofurky stuff like us nasty? Like why if you like tofu, eat the tofu? But why do you try to trick you into thinking it's something that it's not.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just it's like, well.
Speaker 9: It's mental gymnastics.
Speaker 1: There always something because you know, my daughter when she was kids, she went through the I'm going a vegan and then you buy this crap and she'd eat it because it tastes like crap, of course, and she eat my nuggets.
Speaker 2: So we got problems. We're gonna tell we're gonna throw down.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: But but you look at this and go, okay, that that aside, when you get back to eggs and meat and dairy and just just have a little bit of the good stuff and you're satisfied and you're fine. Let's I mentioned the impossible burger.
Speaker 2: Same thing. It's like you're training.
Speaker 1: Okay, hey, that's a little cholesterol, but it's got to help a lot of sodium in it.
Speaker 9: Yea, it's the sodium, but it's also the other stuff and that's not yeah, exactly, the chemicals and that's the that's the other part of this new guideline from the government is you know, eat real food. That's there, that's their three words. It's just real food as opposed to things that have been ultra processed, which we're finding that is that is the enemy. That's that's where we really should be focusing our attention as opposed to you know, the saturated fats and eliminating fat, et cetera.
Speaker 1: How many days a week or how many times can we could I I mean have a process. I mean, if you're really you want a you know, carry out cheeseburger or a pizza or something like that, there's going to be you know, process glue all that stuff. How many times? How often?
Speaker 2: It's hard?
Speaker 9: I like sticking to the eighty twenty rule general in my life as far as you know, do eighty percent of the time do it well? Twenty percent of the time not so well? Loose Obviously as a physician, I have to say never do it. But who's going to follow that? Not even myself? Yeah, because I love a good burger, right, and so I would say, you know, as long as five days out of the week you're eating healthy and watching all of that ultra processed food. You know, treat yourself, okay, once or twice.
Speaker 1: A week, but sometimes like the junk food is like, for example, I like wings, So if I have chicken wing, it's a chicken wing and it's Frank's red hot, which is just you know, peppers and vinegar and salt. Essentially, there's nothing really processed about all that is there.
Speaker 2: But it's still bad for men.
Speaker 9: It depends where you're getting your wings. If you're going out to a chain, you don't know what they're frying it in. You don't know what extra ingredients they're putting in it. Yeah, to your point, if you're making them at home and baking them especially, you can Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Can do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let's talk about the food minter again. It's our resident physician and health guy Health Food and Fitness coming together with Sanjay Shevacrimani. Let's talk about the new guidelines that rolled out recently for the food pyramid. And obviously the dairy element comes and have the whole fact coming back and so how much different is it?
Speaker 2: What are they calling for?
Speaker 9: So what they're calling for is increased amount of protein. So one and a half grams per kilogram to one point seven grams per kilogram of body weight.
Speaker 2: So for the for.
Speaker 1: Me, I'm an American English.
Speaker 9: That's the funny part is you know we have again and then we get kilograms in there, come on, come on. But yes, basically for a you can come down to basically half a pound per sorry half u zero point five grams of protein per pound of body weight. And so for me, it's a little over one hundred that I should be at. As far as protein andras protein, yeah, a lot of protein. It is a lot, and you know it's it's much higher than what it was before. I think it was point eight to one. And so we're increasing by a scale of you know, almost seventy five percent increase, and so there is a lot to it as far as protein, not just satisfying your hunger, but what it does to our you know, our body mass and how we metabolize things and burn calories. And so what we're finding more and more is protein is is golden as far as its intake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, especially the very lean proteins, chicken breast, things like that. You can't go wrong cooking that stuff for sure. So and you are his said, well, your body only needs a certain amount of this thing. But then you know, you look at bodybuilders. You know, you own a gym and guys there. You know back in the day when I would lift it. See, you need more prote than the guidelines recommend. You're taking a way more protein than that. Now your body just excreachs. It's like, you know, vitamins or just makes her p expensive. But every successful bodybuilder I've ever seen or talked to, they eat incredible amount of protein. So there's some truth today, and it's more about the it's about the science, and I see better than I hear.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's a lot. I mean, especially if you if you do want to get stronger and stronger. Now, if you want to maintain, you don't have to pound the protein, but if you do want to get stronger, bigger, et cetera, increasing your protein intake is one of the cornerstones.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, the new guidelines are increasing protein. It doesn't necessarily mean though, because often people confuse that protein thing with either I've got to drink you know, liquid aminos and all the or now I'm eating you know, hamburger every meal.
Speaker 2: That's not true at all that's funny.
Speaker 1: A lean pork always got a bad rap because it was fatty, but pork is extremely lean.
Speaker 2: Now pork is pretty lean.
Speaker 9: I'm still very much a fan of poultry and fish in general, especially fish coming through with the Omega threes, stuff like salmon, I even you know, mackerel is one of those things that really comes up. And then sardines, which I'm weird and I love them.
Speaker 2: But I'm a sardine guy. I like sardine.
Speaker 9: I'll put those things on my toast or my bagels in the morning. Le fiance, you know, turns their nose up or just walks away when I do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the seas are salid.
Speaker 9: I'm having to start there was don't fall on the list so much. Start the entire little healthier. But anchovies do have their health benefits too, gotcha all right?
Speaker 2: Son? Jay? So we know protein is is it the top of the pyramid?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 9: So it they They've actually not It's not really called a pyramid so much anymore. It's actually drawn as an inverted pyramid. And overall, the the idea is balance, get a certain amount of a lot of healthy things and real foods, and so what you'll see is the picture depicted with vegetables and proteins up top, and then you'll have whole grains on the bottom, which is again a different change. It's you know, carbs are not the devil.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 9: You know, however many years ago keto is all the rage. I know some people still do it. But what we're finding is balance is good and then paying more attention, uh to the protein intake especially and then your fruits and vegetables.
Speaker 1: Is this all change, this whole protein thing because of the keto rage and the fact that actually worked it rocks.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of it. I mean, you know the keto craze was that was that diet actually originally came from treating patients with seizures, and then they found out, like these kids are getting gains. No, it is more like the weight loss, and that's what happened, and people kind of jumped onto that. So we're going to continue to learn about this stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised. I have well, I have a little idea about what might be the next protein, which is fiber, which has been ignored for a long time. But fiber is probably going to be have more attention coming up to So normally think fiber, you think carbohydrates. You don't think protein, right, and you know it is carbs, but they're usually not absorbed carbohydrates, So you don't have to worry so much about all the calories you're getting in because they're just kind of kind of pushed through your your intestines and leave the body. And so fiber is like a toothbrush or your colon, exactly power washing out there. And that's actually a great metaphor. It's you know, it really kind of moves things along and keeps you healthy. And we'll see where that goes. I don't have a lot of data to back that up, but I know that fiber is really getting more attention.
Speaker 1: Sanjay Shavacromani here on Scottslone show on seven hundred wlwuh. He's a physician, gym owner, he's a health guy. We talk about all that stuff on Thursday mornings. Anyway, Where can people find you? What's your handle?
Speaker 9: Dine Well Doc or doctor sun Jay Sinc. Those are my two instagram right at dine welld Doc. There you go appreciate it, brother, Thank you.
Speaker 1: We'll talk next week Scott's Loan Show, seven hundred w welwig.
Speaker 5: Check that's check.
Speaker 2: Enter it now.
Speaker 1: Floaning here on seven hundred w W A Trump hurricane, Trump blowing the Switzerland.
Speaker 2: Mister Davos is all upside. I don't know what to bay. They're like, what do we make of this guy? We don't know. You got tariffs, you got Greenland, we got so much more.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: The big question, of course, then is how this impacts US. And a new study shows US tariffs anyway not good. Dominic, mister Rendino on the show Retail techmedianexus dot com is what site?
Speaker 2: Dominic? Good morning, How are.
Speaker 5: You doing well? How are you doing that?
Speaker 1: I'm doing well. There's a lot going on. You've got trumpet Davus, You've got terrorists back and forth. It's a mess.
Speaker 5: So you know, the.
Speaker 1: Baseline ten percent tax on all imports for certain countries.
Speaker 2: We saw that.
Speaker 1: We saw Brazil saturday hits ten percent or threats anyway against members of the EU, which may fracture that as well. There's a lot going on relative to the terroriffs. And of course the study comes out that I will share right now that said, and it's from a think tank that's been around for a long long time, like one hundred years, very respected in many circles. I'm sure the President will disagree with the Day to say and it's fake. But ninety six percent of tariff costs fall on American importers and consumers, and so foreign exporters who the terroriff's target absorbab only about four percent of that. We've seen about two hundred billion dollars come into customs last year. I believe it was two hundred bion close to it. But most of that is an effectively at tax paid by by most Americans. So given that, how are retailers adjusting their pricing strategies to cope with all this?
Speaker 6: Well, first, thanks for the questions all that intro. You know, one has to consider what is a tariff? And the tariff is tax on the goods coming in the door. It's not as if the other country is paying it or the other person sending it over. It's the importer. And if an importer is receiving this goods and going to sell them on, he's getting his T shirts in for ten bucks or his coffee in, he's not likely going to say I will just absorb that tax right, and enjoy it for the fun.
Speaker 1: You can for a while, but it's not sustainable in the long term.
Speaker 6: Not at all. And in certain cases, not only that, the margin just isn't there. When you're buying your fifteen dollars for a pound of coffee, at one point just have to pay the guy to pick the coffee, grow the beans. It's not as if it's dock on dollar and yet magically it's fourteen dollars for profit. So when you do have these tariffs, generally speaking, they're higher than the profit margin. So if you're running a business and your job is importing coffee beans and you have a tariff slapped on that, you're going to raise the price.
Speaker 5: There's just no other choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you have to. And that's why inflation is where it is. I mean, it's sticky.
Speaker 1: They I think the Chairman of the Fed, Jerom Powell, said that they expect things to maybe level off here and it's starting to go down slightly slowly, but it's going to be in long slog until we burn off some of this tariff stuff. So on that when it comes to the retail environment that we all have to participating as American consumers. If you do a deep dive on this study that came out that said ninety six cents of every dollar's paid for paid by American consumers and the tariffs, I guess you see trade volumes. The volume collapses, but the price is stay high. So does that simply mean that certain product categories have been discontinued or limited because of the tar aras and we just like we dwindled the supply, maybe not of quantity, but of choices. Does it eliminate choices?
Speaker 6: Consumers still love choices, but it eliminates choices in terms of demand. If you're going to go to Starbucks, you're not necessarily going to buy that coffee where the beans are so super rare.
Speaker 5: When it's forty five dollars a pound.
Speaker 6: After awhile, right, you're going to start choosing. You saw this recently with the car manufacturers saying, you know, the importing the luxury cars because the average consumer is going to say, I don't want to spend that much. Once that price goes up, the choice of luxury starts getting hit too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of this stuff feels luxurious. I've just seen some of you. Well, our buddy John John from our sisters stition kiss Oo seven. I saw him yesterday and had a bag of the mushroom coffee. I've heard about it, I've never seen it live in the real world before. And I said, ah, man, I'm coffee so expensive right now?
Speaker 2: Is that a go to?
Speaker 5: If?
Speaker 1: He said no, it's like forty five bucks a bag for some mind what the I'm like, I guess there's still some first ball problems out there despite the economy.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, people will still do it.
Speaker 5: Will he do it every day? Will he do it every week?
Speaker 2: It's kind of dumb. He probably will.
Speaker 6: Well, it's a different story, you know. Then that's an intelligence issue going on. But and that, But there is a truth to that. If there is somebody who has the budget for such things, yes they are not impacted. If you are a billionaire, you're not really worrying about the type of coffee you're buying. The average guy covering the average bills, he's worried. And some of these paraffs. Keep in mind, the premise normally is please get manufacturings back to the United States.
Speaker 1: Okay, But but that's not happening right now because I mean it's gotten away from that. That was the campaign promise, like, hey, we need to get manufacturing jobs back.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's all the union guys.
Speaker 1: You support him, and they're like, hey, well you're right, let's get And I'm a very very protragous guy. That's what I do when I'm not here. However, now we're you know, he's at Davos talking about hitting retali tray or tarifsts and the Europeans will retaliate because we want to take over Greenland. What the hell's that got to do with bringing manufacturing back to the United States.
Speaker 6: And exactly that's one of many problems I think that we're seeing is that Number one, is it the direct modus? Number two, are we hitting products that we can even bring back to the United States? Coffee? I keep on quoting, because you can't bring that back. There's just there's no back. There's no way to do it. No, there's certain chemicals, are certain manufacturing. I remember being an article of people in West Virginia saying, we don't want to have our grandkids working in the minds that we we did. That's the different mindsets and sometimes you don't want it back. And also keep in mind Tariff's smooth hole like, there's been historical precedent where people don't really love tariffs. They don't work out so well historically speaking. But it was a campaign promise, right, So now it's being used for multiple motives, and when you don't know what that motive is, it's very hard for the markets to readjust which.
Speaker 1: Is why we see all this volatility, the Green one, everything else. We just don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, and markets hate that. They like certainty, inconsistency, They hate what's happening here relative to volatility. If you have a product like Brazil any other countries with a fifty percent plus tariff, right you kind of touched on a little bit, But are there domestic alternatives or non tariffs suppliers from other countries? Are We starting to find.
Speaker 6: That depends on the product And the other minor issue is depends also on the complexity of the product. You're talking about supply chains and a very elaborate supply chain system that has been created over years. So car manufacturing, we've discussed that that takes years to build a factory. iPhones, you don't necessarily hear about new iPhone factories being made in the us because it takes a good degree of time. So with that in mind, it is a mechanism that requires a good degree of time, and people do want to be aligned to know why are we doing this?
Speaker 5: Essentially?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about something like clothing? For example? Is that I mean we have cotton? Where are we able to manufacture clothing? Take some of this stuff back?
Speaker 6: All this in theory could be done because the other question begs, we're used to going on Amazon buying a shirt for five dollars? How are you going to possibly do that in America fifteen to twenty dollars hour minimum wage in most areas, it's not gonna happen. So the cost on the consumer. We're used to this Amazon team world.
Speaker 3: Way? Does that go?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, some of us might say, go, well, you go back to the old days. We made everything.
Speaker 1: It was larger because of World War two, right, we're the only giant left stand. We became a giant and everyone else, you know, the European economy was in shambles because of the war. Russia was not a player, India, China and they were all prehistoric colonies. But at that point a lot of people haven't got anywhere near so we made everything for the rest of the world because the infrastructure was wiped out. So we got fat, happy and complacent in the fifties, in a part of the sixties, and then all of a sudden by the seventies, like the Japanese came around with the auto industry. We started to see that turn. So it's easy to unravel it and go, hey, you know what we're gonna We're gonna bring up the rest of the world. We're gonna see prices drop resultless. But now we got to the point where dependent on those foreign goods, you can go one way, but you can't go back to the way it was. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube and bring those jobs back here because the cost of a T shirt would be like four hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: Well, the next question to me is do we want that we had manufacturing here? Did we necessarily love having factories all over? Right?
Speaker 6: We turned into a service tourism economy, and you know, we turned into the brains of the world developing stuff.
Speaker 5: If you look at the top biggest.
Speaker 6: Companies, Facebook, Twitter, you know, all social media, our movie industry, we're not necessarily building stuff. But that said we are the guys organizing and creating that service, does that and want to change? Do we truly want to have more coal factories or more this?
Speaker 5: What do we enjoy ordering that stuff in the door?
Speaker 6: And yet you know, having that privilege so to speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that that's also reflect that's also reflected back.
Speaker 2: Like kids, for example, used to be well, what do you want to be? I want to be?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I want to be an astronaut, right, be a firefighter on being?
Speaker 2: Okay? What kids want to be influencers today?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Those are other service jobs to to agree, But largely it was like and no one says, hey, you don't want to to dig ditches from my life? Okay, it just happens. But and we need those two to quote judge mails. But nonetheless, kids today want to be influencers. I'm not quite sure you're that's a reflection of our culture right now. We don't want to work harder, we want to orc smarter.
Speaker 6: Yes, and that's what also is it change too, where we became the country that people are immigrating to educating our population. Now we're having a brain drain of people saying I'm not going to America. I'm not going trade to America, and that in turn does effect people trying to learn or people trying to trade. If you're running a business based on service, trade and the ability to go country to country is vital to that.
Speaker 2: It was said about Greenland. Mister Rendino.
Speaker 1: By the way, Dom is CEO of Retail, Tech, Media and Exus, so he's in the retail sector here too, in the impact at the tariffs and presidents are talking at Davos and then taking some Q and A from the audience at all factors and still leaning towards wanting to take over Greenland at this point our European allies we need the markets there. By the way, the European allies and the EU declared an end to the US led global order. Essentially, that's what they said without saying it, or maybe some of them did say that, I don't know what does that actually mean from a consumer standpoint here in America.
Speaker 5: Oh right, And how it's a ripleffect.
Speaker 6: And the more we demand things, for example Greenland, et cetera, you're having other countries say can we trust America?
Speaker 5: Can we deal with America?
Speaker 6: Is America the lead? How does America say please don't invade Taiwan. We're discussing this. But in addition trade, One of the most successful campaigns I think America did during trade was when we World War two. We gave about bubblegum as soldiers and everyone tasted Wrigley in Hershey's and became a brand name. It wasn't as if the product was better nor worse, but the brand was there and everyone wanted to feel American.
Speaker 5: What happens when that changes.
Speaker 6: You're seeing it now in Kentucky whiskey is going down because people do not want that.
Speaker 5: That has that ripple effect.
Speaker 6: One interesting David rattling affects the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, kind of the verse is true. I guess you know, back the soldiers coming home from World War Two, they brought like Italian pizza wasn't a thing until they came back from overseas and Italian food. I mean, just a small example, but you know, it works both ways if you your culture influences others. Coca Cola took off globally for that that same reason.
Speaker 6: And these products that take off Coca Cola, McDonald's, Taco Bell, spam in the Bland, spam in Asia, right, Yeah, exactly, but are they necessarily the best product? Meaning are you going to eat McDonald's coke and taco bell and become the healthiest human in the planet or are we.
Speaker 5: Doing it because we want to feel good?
Speaker 6: And if that feel good is gone or affected, maybe the feeling changes. Maybe you have a negative feeling and you're seeing that Kentucky whiskey that is down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, well, start with Canada and elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Uh So the research in this the study by the way, Dominicus, Erandino, ninety six percent of tariff costs fall on US American consumers. So ninety six cents of every dollar when it comes to these tariffs are falling on the Americans consumably in fourth sense of that dollar, four percent.
Speaker 2: Are observed by foreign exporters.
Speaker 1: And so we're seeing that two hundred billion in customs revenue come back to us, and it's our money to begin with, according to the study. Whether you agree or disagree, I'll go with the research. And it also shows its supply chains are sticky, so you know, we'll just hey, we'll just switch supply. You can't really do what's the real last time on for fors switch and suppliers. I mean, you're in that business dominic. It's it's from I understand, it's damn near impossible.
Speaker 6: It's it depends on what I know. Some situations are impossible. I know a sunglasses manufacturer that once.
Speaker 5: The artisans who are based in Italy.
Speaker 6: So she's like, I can't get them to come over and magically teach those skills to people here in America.
Speaker 5: That's not going to work.
Speaker 6: Other cases, yes, but we go back to that example of coffee.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is impossible.
Speaker 6: You cannot magically make coffee appear and grow in places it can't grow. You're not gonna grow coffee in the Midwest, right.
Speaker 3: Not going to happen.
Speaker 6: So it does depend entirely on the product itself. But the other challenge is one thing relates to the other. So if you're building cars, you might have a factory here, but you still need to get the rubber in.
Speaker 5: We're not growing rubber trees in Ohio. You know, it's just not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And it's kind of a slow slog here, and you hope, like at some point you see it payoff. And of course we demand instant gratification here in the West. That's another part of the problem too. You know when the president on the trail says on day one, I'm going to fix all the stuff, and here it is a year later, and it's not. You know that that just feeds that instant demand on demand side, whereas a lot of the rest of the world, not all of it, but they are more of a slowpl I mean, you look at the Middle East right though, China, everything else, it's a long slow boils what it is. That's a whole different mindset. And you know, our on demand society you're in America doesn't mesh up with that.
Speaker 6: Well, keep in mind, we have moved from our regional economy to a global We are used to getting goods that we really should not normally have gotten. If you're sitting in Ohio, you're sitting in the Midwest, you're used to getting products on Timu in three minutes.
Speaker 5: But if you think.
Speaker 6: Historically, that's not a norm that you would just go online, press a button. It was revolutionary when we did this year a Zobach catalog fifty years ago, and you could ship something over in weeks. And we moved from that to an economy where we're getting it in hours. At times. It's a very elaborate system we've gotten used to, and the challenge with that begs we're used to it. What are we as American consumers willing to to accept? You know, I'm walking around.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: If you walk around one's own home and you see simple things chemicals or cleaning products, that is the global economy. And which of those products that you see in your home are not based in the middle?
Speaker 2: Not many, not many? And we'll leave it at that dominic.
Speaker 1: Miss Rendino's the CEO of Retail Tech Media and Axis Rtmnexus dot com. Uh, following everything in the retail sector relative to the terrafs I'm gonna call the best.
Speaker 2: Thanks for jumping on this morning. I appreciate you amazing.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: That forecast the big story. We'll get to it in seconds on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: The buying and selling of homes isn't for the timid or meek. The real estate world can be a vicious jungle playing with dangers and pitfalls. Thank god we've got Remax time agent Michelle Sloan, the fearless realtor of Sloan sells Homes dot com and the Queen of the real estate chunkle, it's real estate time, which Michelle Sloan on seven hundred della weljewy.
Speaker 1: Good morning, what's going on? Life of mine?
Speaker 8: How are you? I am just you know what. I am getting ready for the big storm. So I'm doing my search of the internet and the innerweb for the best crack pot soup recipes, and right now I'm sort of fixating on like a Keethburger soup. Ever heard of that?
Speaker 1: I gotta say this on the heels because you are a notorious for a woman of your age, notorious TikTok aficionado. And I get home the other day and she is, what do we have for dinner? I thought I'd make some sushi. Now, looked at her, kind of gave her the side. I like, well, first of all, I sushi's awesome, but I've never seen you roll sushi. You don't have a sushi met you don't have the tools, you don't have the knowledge, like I don't. I don't know if I eat sushi that you made, I don't think that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: It's like no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: I saw this recipe on TikTok and I went, oh my god, not not this.
Speaker 8: It's called it's called a sushi bake, And you have to admit you were very very skeptical.
Speaker 1: Was extremely skeptical of it because like, what, what's what?
Speaker 2: My god, what's in a tune to bake? Well? You cook some rice like like.
Speaker 8: It's a sushi baked rice, plain.
Speaker 2: White rice like okay?
Speaker 1: Then what then you get some tuna fish, oh dear lord, and then some fake what is the artificial crab?
Speaker 3: Leg?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: And then well then you bake it like holy hell, this is going to be awful, and actually was It wasn't bad.
Speaker 8: It wasn't bad, right, it was not bad. Although the problem is there's just two of us and there's only so much sushi bake that you can eat.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yeah, yeah, your portion control. That's why I'm fat.
Speaker 8: So I'm thinking we might try this. You know, we're going to be locked in, so you you, along with every other person in the entire tri state area, you're going to be at Kroger or Meyer or wherever you're going to shop today because everybody's getting ready for the biggest.
Speaker 1: Well, the other thing is literally we have went to make dinner last night. I had cereal because we have nothing in our house, so my my bad friend, because you're still laid up with the knee thing.
Speaker 2: So I got to go out and maybe get a little some groceries.
Speaker 6: I'm still not.
Speaker 8: Quite driving yet, so that causes some issues with getting some more food in the house.
Speaker 1: You want to cheer a change and cheeseburger soup sounds stupid.
Speaker 8: No, it's not. I don't think it is. I'll send you the recipe. It's really not that hard.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know. It seems like chicken seems the way to go. I like chicken soup, chicken soup, practice some chili. I don't know what to do some it feels like a crock pot kind of weekend.
Speaker 8: For sure, you got it.
Speaker 2: I'm good with it. I'm good with all right now.
Speaker 1: Looking actually, I love the storms on the weekend because there's there's you haven't a reason not to do anything, not to go up, Like, I don't feel as bad sitting inside in front of a TV.
Speaker 2: Although you got football.
Speaker 8: It is perfect.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 8: We can snuggle up, have some soup, watch Net for ex or some things something to give in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go out and shovel the driveway a few dozen times. It should be good. So we got all this cold air moving in. We've got the latest models here. The latest models are showing uh maybe I don't know, in excess to ten inches of snow possible here.
Speaker 8: So six inches is what I saw too, depending on the area.
Speaker 1: All right, so what are we talking about. I'm guessing it's related to the storm besides your your recipes for.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, rice casserole.
Speaker 8: It's a sushi breake. Get it right, it's a sushi b I was.
Speaker 1: Talking to Krumbley's a food eat Jack Crumley, and he's like, he goes man, I had the best aner.
Speaker 5: What do you have?
Speaker 2: I a rose? I mean you be chicken and rice?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, but it doesn't sound as good as a rosoil.
Speaker 2: Okay, and chicken and rice. It's pretty basic. I got it.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 8: I Actually, so I do have some good information. I've got information from deep energy. A lot of people are struggling because the bills. We had a really cold snap in December, and with that cold snap, your January bill was bad. The relation, honestly, it was not good. And so a lot of people are really struggling. And you know, I thought i'd go over some of the things you can do. You know, I saw online somebody saying that they put on their parker to watch TV. So they just because the first thing that duke, the first thing that Duke says is a just or program your thermostat to the lowest comfortable setting. Well, the lowest comfortable setting. Our nephew, I think, what did he say? He turns his heat down to like sixty three years?
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's fifty five.
Speaker 4: He had it.
Speaker 2: I'm like fifty five.
Speaker 8: Okay, that's too low. You do have a risk of potentially, you know, some frozen pipes, which we want to avoid at all costs. Leave your doors open, on your cabinets if you're on an outside wall. Those kinds of things are very important.
Speaker 2: Might as well just go sleep out under the bushes.
Speaker 8: At that point, with that, you can make an egg gloo maybe.
Speaker 2: And it retains heat, believe it or not. A snow cave will it does?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 2: Does?
Speaker 6: It does?
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 8: A couple of other helpful tips are manage your water heater. And you probably know this more than I do. You know, normally we cut our water heater at what one hundred and twenty degrees? Sure sounds about right. You can lower it just a little bit. That way, you're not constantly regenerating and keeping that hot water in your tank. You don't want to turn it down too low because you don't want to mess with the plane if you've got gas, So you know, be careful there.
Speaker 6: I don't know about that.
Speaker 8: You know about those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you default to me, is what you're saying.
Speaker 8: I do, I do. But you can definitely turn that down, just to scoach.
Speaker 1: Checking your windows and doors, like you know exactly what the temperature is.
Speaker 2: You know, it's hard unless you got.
Speaker 8: Th Mom, I don't think you can can you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you can get up to one forties, but yeah, anything higher than that you start to you know, you start to risk burns and stuff like that.
Speaker 8: But I mean that's what you can trigger down. Here's something that you did in the last week. You actually added some weather stripping to one of our doors that was whistling like crazy with the high winds. And I can tell already you know that cuts out. It will definitely. Even Duke says that calking ceiling weather stripping leaks can say ten to twenty percent in heating costs, So that's a big deal. Close the rooms that you're not using and turn you could turn off those events in rooms that you're you know, like bedrooms if you're not using all the bedrooms and that sort of thing that can help the other thing, which I've always been really skeptical about. But you know, who am I to? You know, I don't know challenge this, but.
Speaker 1: Your entire life has been about challenging everything. I could say, wow, the sunrise is nice to you say, no, it's not you. But yeah, who are you to, Chale? I never challenge the experts?
Speaker 2: Holy crap.
Speaker 1: The woman who continually tries to reinvent stuff like, No, they've been doing it this way. There's a reason why you do it this way is because well I think they're wrong. Yeah, literally hundreds of years of them doing it this way. You're the one who's going to reinvent this thing. You know nothing about it. Let me sit back and let me sit back and watch how this works out.
Speaker 8: Okay, So how about unplus electronics and they're not in use. We have a lot of stuff plugged in, right, especially appliances in our kitchen that you don't use every day. So the experts, I do get it. You say, unplugged the electronics that are not in use. And again this is to me, you're not going to unplug your TV every time you turn it on.
Speaker 3: Charge.
Speaker 2: I said, there's settings in your TV if you don't want the phantom power on as much.
Speaker 8: But yeah, coffee maker first us. But then if you have a coffee maker like ours that has it's got a reservoir that's heated, you know it's always running. So but you have to decide if you have appliances that you don't use all the time and you have on your counter or plugged in in your bedroom or wherever, you can unplug that when you're not using it. Just remember then when you go to use it, you're like, first, kind of this thing doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Right, it's because it's not plugged.
Speaker 8: The check that that's the first.
Speaker 6: First.
Speaker 2: Everything draws a little bit of power.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, if you have a printer in your home office, you have that you mentioned TVs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just a little bit of trickle.
Speaker 1: But again, if you have so many devices plugged in you it's the old adage of you got enough crumbs, you make a loaf, and you want to do why's my electric bill?
Speaker 2: So hight.
Speaker 1: Well, you've got all these little to draw very little amverage that are all kind of on standby mode that are causing that power bill. But I don't know if I want to round run around unplugging stuff all the time either.
Speaker 8: So no, you have to decide what's important. And it's a lot of people like you said, I don't want to make light of this, because there are a lot of people who are struggling. Oh yes, sir, and looking and looking for ways to cut back. That's important. And then maybe you need some serious assistance because you can't pay your bills. So there are definitely some things that you can do, call your electric providers a stup or whoever. That oftentimes there's an installment plan. You can get an extension up to ten days. That may not help you. If your bill went from two hundred and fifty dollars to five hundred and fifty dollars, which I've seen that happen over the last month, you know that little ten day extension may not make a big difference if you're on the if you have a limited income. So, but budget billing could very well help because there are sometimes of the year where your bill is not as high as it maybe it is in the winter. So if you have budget billing and even things out a little bit, it doesn't you know what to expect each and every month, and that's something that you have to ask for. It doesn't just happen automatically, so you may have to do a little bit of research. There are also some payment assistance programs which I think are really helpful. The very easiest one that you can do is to go to two one one org. It's a free service that I can identify community agencies that help like.
Speaker 1: It's the number two, the number one, the number one two eleven dot org correct two one one.
Speaker 8: It's actually through the United Way. You can also call to one one and you'll get United Way one of the quickest ways because they obviously have a number of resources. But the problem is too, just like food banks, a lot of our resources are depleted. So a lot of these salvation armies and the different kinds of places that are available to Catholic charities, they only have a limited amount of assistance to go around, and they will do their due diligence. I've had I've had a couple of companies call me because our renters were having a difficult time making ends meet, and again I understand this, but they will check to see, hey are they really behind, do they really have income, do they really you know, are they telling the truth. And that's the thing. There some people out there that are looking to scam get this free money and or the free assistance, and they don't really need it, so it's really hurting the people who need the assistance. So to me, that really kind of breaks my heart. But I'm going to have all of the lists that's the different local assistants, companies, charities, things like that available. I'm going to put it on my website and on my Facebook page so you can take a look at those and you know, contact your provider. That's really important. But there I definitely some serious things you can do. Thankfully, we're in Cincinnati, so the cold weather we're going to have a stretch of the next what at least couple of weeks. It's winter after all. But the other thing is too if you are you want to be a good neighbor. This is part of being a person. A good person. Check on your people that are next to you, the older people in your lives. If they're not your relatives. So what if you have the means and the ability to help somebody out, ask them if they have food, make sure that they're not using their oven for heat, you know, things like that, or the space heaters. There's a lot of fires this time of year, and over the next weekend. I'm sure there's a lot of firefighters who are really really concerned because it's dangerous for them. It's also dangerous for the people in their homes who are trying to eat with the alternative heat sources that may not be as safe as just your conventional.
Speaker 2: Right, right.
Speaker 1: So the important thing here is again the list. As you said, this is an exhaustive list you put together. I'm looking at right now. It's actually really really well done. Good job on that help people out who you know may not have the means to do this. And I think pride sometimes also ignorance are two factors where you go, hey, listen, if I just throw this dukebill out and kick the cary, I don't want to talk about it. I want to think about it. I will address it. It's not going to turn out well. And again, they will work with you, and I think they're required to do so. If you can't pay your bill, and you know, simply turning it off is not an option, especially with this implement whether the deep cold we're about to get with a little snow in that too, So you know you have to be able to proactive and go, hey, listen, you know, maybe I lost my job, or there's health issues or money I don't have enough.
Speaker 2: What should I do? Where could I go?
Speaker 1: There's plenty of people that want to help you, but you got to ask and maybe put the pride aside, but also the fact you simply can't ignore it. It's not going to make it go away. To make it worse, you get a disconnect this weekend. It's certainly not advantageous for anybody.
Speaker 2: They don't want to do that.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 2: It's easy to vilify big companies, but if you work with them, they'll.
Speaker 3: Work with you exactly.
Speaker 8: You don't want to just bury your head in the snow drift as it were a work And yeah, that's right, all right?
Speaker 2: So all this is up on your page? Where is it?
Speaker 8: I'm going to have it on soon sell homes dot com and I'll do it on my Facebook page. So and if you need to find the information, the best thing is called to one one. It's going to get you in touch. It's kind of like a nine one one situation. But don't call nine one one, called two one one. It'll connect you with United Way of Greater Cincinnati and check online. I mean a nice easy Google search of energy assistance. That kind of thing is going to get you someone vocal and if you need help, ask someone. That is really the biggest thing is if you need help, don't be too too prideful, don't worry about it because we all struggle at times. Yeah, you know, our kids struggle, we parents struggle. It's real and we have to help one another. And I feel like all of the kidding aside because you know, we like to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's important thing to do, all right. So yeah, good luck getting to the Starway. I guess I'll be the one out shelvelin. You're not going to do that nine time soon.
Speaker 8: No, you know what I have. I'm still healing. Yeah, I'm going to be busy making hamburger suit.
Speaker 2: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: We shall also have her recipe up that she saw on TikTok, which for if you want to get bougie this week and have surfing turf it's uh.
Speaker 8: It's yes.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: Their your surfing turf recipe, which is a can of chicken of the sea and hinzpef gravy.
Speaker 2: Sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: Anyway, my wife Michelle sloansons housholme dot com open house show.
Speaker 2: On iHeart MEI iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Download the app there and of course on YouTube as well for the visual presentation with guests and everything.
Speaker 2: All right, love you to see you later.
Speaker 1: I gotta get going because Willie is on the way coming up next on the Scott's Loan Show. Anyway, we'll be back tomorrow morning. We'll know a little bit more about the storm. It's getting clear. It's gonna be worse and not better, so hang in there. Scott's Loan Show, seven hundred w WD, Cincinnati,