Speaker 1: Gary Sullivan and me little Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. Gary Sullivan, you're old enough to know Smokey Robinson, right, I am. Absolutely, it's good stuff. Dandy Gleason picked that just for you.
Speaker 2: Gary oh Man.
Speaker 1: He's great and he is the producer, of course, of your show, which is syndicated to nearly three hundred stations around America.
Speaker 2: I mean, you are a big leaguer.
Speaker 1: And this is a segment where I love feeling dumb because you come on with us every Thursday at this time, and we talked about different things you can do around your house, whether it's in preparation of summer, winter, whatever.
Speaker 2: The case may be. But here's one that's a big one.
Speaker 1: Today we're really getting into something that I am fascinated to hear you tell us about the holidays. Roughly about six weeks away Thanksgiving, and people are thinking about maybe freshening up that kitchen. Now, my wife and I had somebody come in and we have a beautiful home. We're very blessed to have it. The oldest part of our home which we've not done something to is the kitchen. It's an incredibly efficient, conditioned kitchen. It's a great kitchen, but it's an older kitchen, right, all right, So you're telling me that you can give a kitchen like that maybe a little face left without spending a ton of cash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, if you want to have a brand new looking kitchen for the holidays, you're probably not going to make it at this point, and not everybody's budget. I was reading some statistics without doing many structural changes in a kitchen, that kitchen redo can go between twenty and forty thousand dollars. Yeah, you start, you know, an older kitchen, less covered space and pantries maybe, and there's a lot more structural changes that need to be made, you can be up in the sixty thousand dollars range. So what I'm thinking is a lot of people just don't have forty fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: And we were in that sixty thousand dollars rant, and you know, everybody, it's kind of like keeping up with the Joneses a lot of time, right, you know, your cabinets maybe like hours. You know it's a foot foot and a half from the ceiling. Now everybody wants the cabinet to go all the way to the ceiling. I don't know how they get anything out of there. Uh, if the ceiling's high enough and they want to do this and do that. Okay, anyway, let's start with countertop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, isn't it all about the countertops or the cabinets one of the other. Yeah, yeah, exactly, and so one of the things. So this is just the spruce up. Maybe we're gonna do a two thousand dollars just give it a fresher look. We're not doing any structural changes, no traffic flow changes. We're just gonna, you know, give it a little more sex opeace. So we're gonna look at those countertops. Say, I haven't got five six thousand dollars to put in granted countertops, so what can I do? Well, you don't have to replace them. You can actually resurface an old laminate countertop. It's pretty cool. So I got that pink laminate countertop and you go, no, baby, no, that's not work going to hitch it anymore. There's a product out there. It's actually very cool. They have products. I should say. You can take that lambin countertop. You can make it look like marble, you can make it look like granite. You don't have to be an artist. You can make it look like Corey in. You can probably do that over a weekend Tom and there might be uh, you know, an hour here, an hour here, an hour here, and then the next day an hour here, in an hour and you're done. So you might want to check this out. It's really cool. It's it's made of stone. It's a an acrylic resident and stone that's applied with a roller over countertops.
Speaker 2: No rolling. Wow, it's very cool.
Speaker 3: So let me just walk you through the process of it, because it really is a game changer. The name of the company is Dice Coatings Dai c H Coatings, And I found this product about twenty years ago and I loved it, and now it just keeps growing and growing. So what you do is you it comes in a kit. You got a sanding sponge, so you scratch up the countertop, just lightly give it, you know, just a little bite, put on a primer with a roller, and then come back with this stone coating. It's amazing. If you if you can put paint on a wall, you can do it to your countertop. It's hitting and so you put a coat, you let it dry, you come back you put a second coat, you let it dry, you take that sanding sponge, scratch it up again, and there's since there's stone in there, you get a little bling, all right, So it starts looking pretty cool, just like granted. And at that point you're putting on a ceiler. You might have to seal that once every five years. You probably get fifteen years worth of life. Probably do that for two three, four hundred dollars. Maybe it depends on how big the countertop is. But what a great way to give those countertops new life.
Speaker 1: Right, no kidding, kid, that's great stuff. Okay, Now let's get to the floor. Yeah, okay, maybe it's a little beat up, a little tired. Whether it's a wood, maybe it's a tile. What do you do here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even if it's the old asbestos tile, you know, and you start talking to people about removing that, you've got an expensive project going on. So there's products out there now, they've been around maybe fifteen years now. LVT and LVP it stands for Luxury vinyl tile and Luxury vinyl plank. And then of course we all know about the lambined flooring, the purgo if you will, those tiles that I just mentioned can literally go over anything. It can go over ceramic, it can go over the asbestos tile and encapsulate it. It can go over vinyl, so you eliminate all that labor. And man, I'll tell you what. The first time I saw LVT was probably fifteen years ago. I was standing on it.
Speaker 2: I thought I was standing on wood. No kidding.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful, beautiful stuff. It's really caught on the last fifteen years. It's probably the hottest flooring products out there right now. But take and investigate the LVT again. We change the countertops, you change the floor and then take a look at that old Tiffany lamp over the kitchen table. You might want to update that a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's not only some lighting fixtures, but you can do, you know, sort of change your lighting entirely, whether it's in recess lighting, whatever it might be, without spending a ton of money.
Speaker 2: And man, what a difference it can make.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you got that rope lighting, you got that under the counter lighting. We had some can lights. I just changed all those out where you can actually change the Kelvin units, which is the brightness and the color. Yep, And man, you can go from soft white to daylight to warm white with and I change them seasonally from summer. I don't you know, I don't really want to really bright bright light, so I do a warm white in the winter time just to kind of give you a cozy feel. But lighting is you can do.
Speaker 2: So many, no doubt about it. And then last, but not least, painting, painting.
Speaker 1: We just now you know, we decided to go, okay, what's something we can dumb this down a little bit from a price standpoint, and we painted it.
Speaker 2: And what a difference it makes.
Speaker 3: Sure sure, in the quality of paints. I think we talked about this a few weeks ago. You get that swayed look very warm, very inviting. I don't care whether you go dark colors or you're having a really you know, bright white type kitchen area. The textures and the just the tone of the paints and maybe a flat is a little bit more inviting versus an old semi gloss. And if you use those self priming paints, now, Tom, you scratch up the paint on the wall and wipe it down and you're ready to go. Man, no primer. The primer's in the paint, and it'll do a great job for you.
Speaker 1: The other and I left out one thing that that again we have. We didn't change them out, but I could certainly see where people might think about changing them out, especially if they have a lot of age to them. Are blinds if you have them in your kitchen, right.
Speaker 3: Just take a look at some blinds as you go visit friends. There are some ugly, ugly you know.
Speaker 2: In our house. You can start there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and seriously, I mean you know, if you got a kitchen it's got two three windows in it or a door or something. Uh, and you got those old mini blinds on her, I mean, get rid of them. Get get a nice custom bind blind. They're not cheap, but it's as important as the flooring. It is as important as the redoing the countertops or replacing the countertops. It'll it really adds to the wow factor. So those many blinds, dump them. Man, even that cabinet hardware. If you're not going to change out the cabinets, Tom, maybe you're not gonna paint the cabinet, you can clean them up and get that dull look grime off the surface and change the hardware. And another it's a big wow factor.
Speaker 1: So I mean, you tie a ribbon around this whole thing, and the bottom line is is okay, maybe you can't do all of this yourself. I mean maybe it sounds like a lot of it you can. But if you can't, you know, you find somebody handy man. Whatever it might be that you pay a few bucks to come in, but you're not spending the thirty, the forty, the fifty thousand dollars on your kitchen. You don't have to, right, and you don't even have to do everything that we just talked about.
Speaker 3: Like I said, the first thing most people will see is you said cabinets or what countertops? So if you just want to sprust it up for the holidays, give it a new look. I mean, we're down the six weeks. I find that hard to believe. But it's coming like a freight train and now's a great time. We got good weather. Tackle one of those projects. You don't have to do them all, but take a look at the floor of the countertops and the cabinet tree.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you this before I let you go, because I'm just curious in hearing you talk about some of the countertops that folks might have. Let's say you already have a granite countertop right now. You can't apply those kinds of products that you were talking about to a granite countertop.
Speaker 3: Came you can clame the wood in for mica. You probably could apply it to granted, because I know it will also stick to concrete, but I don't think you'd really want to do that. I will say though, with the holidays coming, if you haven't sealed the granite countertop for a while, just take a teaspoon a dollup of water, pour it on the granite countertop, give it forty seconds. If it starts soaking in, seal the granite countertop. If it doesn't, don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well this is great stuff because I you know, look, this is one of those and at the end of the day, Gary, you and I have talked about this specific topic many, many times. A lot of us are reluctant to think about pouring some money into our home. Sure, but for almost all of us, it's the largest single investment that you have in your in your life right and redoing your kitchen in some form or fashion, I'm told that that gives you the best chance on resale.
Speaker 3: It gives about an eighty five percent return. You know what's a hundred percent return?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 3: You're gonna die? What a garage door?
Speaker 2: You're kidding me.
Speaker 3: It's a garage door and entry doors return about one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: No kidding, Yeah, I would never guess. I wonder why, I mean, am I just dumb not understand?
Speaker 3: Well, when you think about it, and especially in track housing, a third of the front of your house is the garage door. And they've got some really sharp we'll talk about those sometimes. I mean, they got all glass garage doores. I don't know why anybode what one, but they got those ones that look like carriage doors, which would be great in your neighborhood. So there's there's designs in garage doors. And seriously, and the insulation quality and the return is outstanding.
Speaker 1: Don't don't give my wife any idea. She's on her way to work right now, Gary and she's listening to this. So thanks a lot.
Speaker 3: Well, I think Tom, you could use a little pressure a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're the best man. Great having you with us. Hope you have a great weekend. But hey, you do say you'll be over on fifty five KRC of course nine to noon on both Saturday and Sunday, and Gary Sullivan syndicated over two hundred and seventy five stations nationwide. Okay, the biggest topic of the day by far is traffic. Chuck Ingram, what is the very latest, because I'm sure a lot of people are stuck in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of.
Speaker 4: People have needed extra time this morning, and there's not a whole lot of change to deal with. On northbound seventy five, still over an hour delay out of Florence into downtown thanks to the wreck on the bridge that has the right lane blocked. This from the UC Health Traffic Center Mammograms Save Lives called five one three five eight four pink to schedule your annual mammogram with uc Heal's expert team. That's five one three five eight four pink. We're not seeing a whole lot of delay, Sorry, I should say a whole lot of change in the delays on the eastbound two seventy five, which is heavy from before Dixie towards Taylor Mill North found four to seventy one pretty much full from two seventy five into town as folks look for alternatives. So is westbound two seventy five heading west towards the Carrol Cropper Bridge Slow go from Petersburg trying to get across that bridge southbound. Seventy one Cruis are also working with an accident near Montgomery Road in Kenwood. They're on the left hand side traffic backspass. Fifer Chucking from news radio seven hundred WLWI.
Speaker 1: All right, ur WCPO nine first Warning forecast presented by Jennifer Ketchmark and it is a great one. It's a beautiful morning out there, a little on the chili side, creeping up into the mid forties. Now we're getting up to sixty five under sunny skies today. Tonight low down to forty in some outlying areas. You could get a little frost for the first time. With temperatures in the upper thirties. Tomorrow's sunny ideal, I have seventy and then on Saturday, Sunday, Monday sunshine temperatures ranging for high seventy two to seventy five. How does that sound? Eight twenty five coming up in about fifteen minutes. Will be joined by Hey Michelle to tell you what's going on over the weekend. Things you might want to think about doing, whether you're single going out with your buddies, whether you're on a date night or you want something to do with the kids, eight twenty five on the morning show seven hundred WL